Official 2015-2016: LizzyM <70 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sounds like I might be in good company in this thread, and I could use it!

cGPA ~3.3, MCAT 517 (third attempt, 35 on the old scale) for a LizzyM of 68

~275 credits overall, the last ~170 of which correspond to a 3.9+ GPA. I'm definitely hoping someone, somewhere takes the time to glance over my transcripts, but even then... the number of amazing applicants is staggering.

Your academic story is a lot like mine, though I have a lower MCAT. I was discouraged from applying by many people who told me schools would never see past my overall GPA when there are oceans of applicants who've done better. So far, thank goodness, that seems to be untrue (at this stage anyway...we'll see when the post-interview acceptances/rejections come out). Keep your head up.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Considering applying to 4 more schools......good or bad idea?

Reactions: 1 users
Me!
65-67. I got a 515 on my 3rd mcat try, not sure what to calculate Lizzy M with an average or the best/last score.
3.5cgpa, 3.25 sgpa ( rising trend 3.0 --> 3.1--> 3.4 -->3.6)

Sending secondaries out.

Let's do this!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is more positive than most "lower stats" thread, how refreshing. Checking in with LizzyM 66-69, two IIs, one hold, and no rejections.

Considering applying to 4 more schools......good or bad idea?
Hmmm you have IIs already and it is getting kind of late... However if you really want to, add them ASAP.

I was in a (sort of) similar situation - was complete since early July for all of my schools and by the end of the month still had nothing, despite people with similar stats getting IIs from the same schools I applied to. I told myself to wait til like, August 7th to add 4 more schools, but by August 5th I was already getting too nervous (waaayyyyy too early, in hindsight) so I added 4 schools then. The next day, I got an II from my top choice, and the day after that, another II. So far, nothing from those 4 schools I added. If I had waited til my original plan of adding on the 7th, I could have saved $148... oh well.

I guess all I'm saying is, patience really is key in this whole process. You already have two IIs - if you're feeling confident about your chances at those schools, don't add any more. If you think your chances are low, add the four, but make sure you actually have a chance at those four.

Keeping my fingers crossed that September yields some more MD IIs! Anyone have an idea when the bulk of IIs typically go out for applicants of our score range? After being complete most places in July/early August, I'm starting to get anxious!

I sure hope this is true. Just had my first II today, and although I walked out of there feeling good, there are just too many things I wish I could have done better in retrospect. Trying to change my "mirroring" habit is going to be tough..and I don't know if I can get it all sorted out in time T_T

Reactions: 1 user
I wish I had sent out my primary earlier instead of waiting for secondaries. Hopefully I'll get a few II's sometime in September!

LizzyM 68-69 CA reapplicant.

0 IIs. 4 Rejections: USC, Tulane, Oakland, VCU.

Starting to slowly lose hope. Slowly, spiraling down, pain, death, death, death, death.

Don't lose hope!

Remember you only need one school to say yes!

LizzyM 68-69 CA reapplicant.

0 IIs. 4 Rejections: USC, Tulane, Oakland, VCU.

Starting to slowly lose hope. Slowly, spiraling down, pain, death, death, death, death.
you've come to the right place my friend. you now have a bunch of people on your team. let us know when you get one!

cGPA 3.69, nonscGPA 3.91, scGPA 3.59
MCAT 504 from a 22 initial back in 2013 (yikes :O)
Maryland resident (which kinda sucks when it comes to medical school admission process)

II: 1 DO school (Campbell)
Rejection: LSU-New Orleans (pre-secondary)
Holds: University of AZ, Midwestern (DO)

Still early in the cycle though! We just entered September and most schools make offers until February :)
Good luck! Fingers crossed for everyone

OF course, this morning I had a nightmare that every medical school had rejected me pre-interview. Worse, in the rejection notice they included snippets from my secondaries as to why they disliked me. Crazy.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II: none
Rejection: none
LizzyM: ~67

Early applicant. I have one big red flag on my record (low VR score), so I think that's causing schools to hold off from making any decisions with my file. Trying to have patience though!
Did you take it only once?

My first MCAT had a low VR, but I retook it and got a score for that. This did not make schools uninterested

Nah 2 times. Never prepared for VR, so it killed me. I'm doing a third exam in the spring (and really studying for it) if this cycle is a bust.
I'm ESL and got a good score, so you can do it!

Low verbal, LizzyM between 65-69 (sorry, I need some anonymity).
7 II's so far.
Keep your chin up, guys!

Reactions: 9 users
II: none
Rejection: none
LizzyM: ~67

Early applicant. I have one big red flag on my record (low VR score), so I think that's causing schools to hold off from making any decisions with my file. Trying to have patience though!
Low verbal, LizzyM between 65-69 (sorry, I need some anonymity).
7 II's so far.
Keep your chin up, guys!
How low are your verbal scores? 8 here

How low are your verbal scores? 8 here
124 on CARS, so I think that's a low 8 on the old scale.
Georgetown was my first II despite their website stating that any score below 125 is not considered competitive.
I will throw out a disclaimer though and add that I've been out of school for a couple of years, have lots of clinical research experience and a pretty unique application. But, I think this just goes to show that we're more than our numbers :)

Reactions: 4 users
7?!?

Killin' it, rachiie01! :p
Thank you! Very unexpected but I'm over the moon! I almost cried yesterday because I was overwhelmed with joy (I am not an emotional person lol).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
School has started again for me so I have that to distract me :D

In the mean time, 0 II and 3 rejections.

I'd like to imagine I have a pretty decent application, strong PS and life story, so I hope it all works out!

LizzyM ~69

Thank you! Very unexpected but I'm over the moon! I almost cried yesterday because I can't believe it's all finally happening (I am not an emotional person lol).
Aw, dude, I feel you. I've been crying a bit. Every other day or so I'm reminded of what a freaking *privilege* it is to even be *able* to apply, much less get to interview.

Up to 5 IIs and a phone interview as of today. Just blew a giant wad of money I don't have on a suit. First interview is tmrw.

Reactions: 8 users
Aw, dude, I feel you. I've been crying a bit. Every other day or so I'm reminded of what a freaking *privilege* it is to even be *able* to apply, much less get to interview.

Up to 5 IIs and a phone interview as of today. Just blew a giant wad of money I don't have on a suit. First interview is tmrw.

You're gonna rock it! Good luck to you from all of us! Bring it home

You're gonna rock it! Good luck to you from all of us! Bring it home
I'm investing the luck and throwing it back to you all with dividends. What Chinese stock market?

I'm investing the luck and throwing it back to you all with dividends. What Chinese stock market?
Pageantry, listen here man. You're gonna go to that interview and you're going to kill it, man you've got to represent all of us! You can do it! We're rooting for you!

Still got 7 secondaries of my own left to finish. must push through.

so far one interview.

the calming part is knowing that my LORs were at the minimum "aiight"

65 LizzyM, in med school now so don't worry too much about it! Good luck :)

I'm hoping for some love with a mid-60s LizzyM... still submitting secondaries and really waffling between thinking I won't get II anywhere and that my EC's/unique story will help get me in the door. The wait is agonizing!

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious if anyone gets moments of panic and insecurity no matter how you're doing this moment in the cycle? After realizing that I'm most likely on hold at 2-3 schools that I applied to (aka most likely rejected), haven't received 2 of my state school secondaries and watching everyone around me get II at schools that have been radio silent with me, I'm hit with a sudden mild panic attack.

The dark, insecure part of my brain is telling me that my 4 early II is a fluke and it will be literally the only 4 I will get this entire cycle, and that I may very possibly not get accepted into any of the 4. My fear is that even with these II, I'm on the bottom of the staircase (using the staircase analogy..actually I'm like pretty sure I'm on the bottom of the staircase for at least 3/4 of the schools due to my LizzyM), and I'm not amazing enough at interviews to significantly move my position in the staircase up.

AHH sorry word vomiting my deep, dark insecurities on the internet :) It's probably a byproduct of me being sick right now too and cooped up at home.

Just curious if anyone gets moments of panic and insecurity no matter how you're doing this moment in the cycle? After realizing that I'm most likely on hold at 2-3 schools that I applied to (aka most likely rejected), haven't received 2 of my state school secondaries and watching everyone around me get II at schools that have been radio silent with me, I'm hit with a sudden mild panic attack.

The dark, insecure part of my brain is telling me that my 4 early II is a fluke and it will be literally the only 4 I will get this entire cycle, and that I may very possibly not get accepted into any of the 4. My fear is that even with these II, I'm on the bottom of the staircase (using the staircase analogy..actually I'm like pretty sure I'm on the bottom of the staircase for at least 3/4 of the schools due to my LizzyM), and I'm not amazing enough at interviews to significantly move my position in the staircase up.

AHH sorry word vomiting my deep, dark insecurities on the internet :) It's probably a byproduct of me being sick right now too and cooped up at home.
Lol... Now imagine how people with no IIs feel.

Reactions: 4 users
So much encouragement on this thread:love:

Update: I finally finished my DO applications.

Got an II from AZCOM yesterday.
2 MD IIs, 1 DO II

Oh my goodness, after perusing so many SDN threads over the past few months, never have I found such a positive assemblage of MD hopefuls! I think I've found my home. Looking forward to standing next to you all in our white coat ceremonies next year.

LizzyM 67-69
Non-trad
So far, no II but no rejections either! Keeping the faith. :)

still crickets and waiting. I applied late so I'm super worried. verified in late august and I can hope for II's in October maybe?

still crickets and waiting. I applied late so I'm super worried. verified in late august and I can hope for II's in October maybe?
Absolutely :) We are still early in the game. Don't worry until its January with no IIs. Until then, stay positive and keep yourself occupied (that is what I have been doing). Since I know my scores are pretty midline, I'll get interviews possibly late september to early november (or thats what I am guessing).
I work in the ER with a brilliant doc who got 1 II in september and the rest in october - november and got acceptances to everywhere she received an II.

I'm there this Friday, so sadly I won't see you sweating through your suit. I'm sure there will still be some out of towners; we can spot Arizona-outsiders a mile away ;)
Here's a pretty accurate representation since you'll miss it. Good luck this week!!
upload_2015-9-8_22-39-55.png

Help me, guys.
I have two II, but I still feel like this is a hopeless endeavor. 26 schools applied to.
UGH :(

Hopping on the <70 bandwagon!

1 II, 3 rejections... and a whole lot of radio silence (most of my 20+ secondaries were completed in early July). My hands are getting tired from keeping my fingers crossed all the time!

wow, just stumbled upon this thread!!!! i'm applying with a 69 LizzyM score. I've submitted 10 secondaries (5 left!) over the past 3 weeks so, i'm not expecting to hear anything from schools any time soon haha. I'm wishing everyone in here the very best of luck and I'll be sure to post here more with encouraging words and congratulations as the cycle goes on :)

The way I've been coping with the silence is by throwing more money and time into applications. Just finished my 40th secondary last night, what is wrong with me!? Why can't I stop!?
man, 40th?!?!?!!?!?!!! prepare yourself for the cross country road trips you'll be taking when all those IIs roll in :laugh:

Last edited:
Would someone link me to the page/calculator? I'm having a difficult time finding it through the search option.

wow, just stumbled upon this thread!!!! i'm applying with a 69 LizzyM score. I've submitted 10 secondaries (5 left!) over the past 3 weeks so, i'm not expecting to hear anything from schools any time soon haha. I'm wishing everyone in here the very best of luck and I'll be sure to post here more with encouraging words and congratulations as the cycle goes on :)
welcome!