Official 2015-2016: Oh no, I don't have a single Interview Invite thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So excited to say that I just got my first acceptance!!! GOD IS GOOD.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 39 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all!
It is to Morehouse!
Still hoping to hear from my top choice. But just sooo happy with this acceptance right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
There are people who have good reasons to be upset; they are the ones who deserve access to limited resources.

Tough love time from Dr. Grenade :)

Your reasons for going are 100% legitimate, regardless of how it compares to the presenting problems that others might have. Applying to med school is a major life stressor, and it's even worse when it doesn't go as planned. You have been working for years to get accepted, so right now, this is a hugely significant aspect of your life. That is your perspective, and your perspective is worthwhile. I heard a comedian one time talking about how he saw a little boy lose his balloon, causing the boy to break down and cry. The boy's father told him to basically just "suck it up," because it was just a balloon. But to that boy, that balloon was the coolest thing in the world. In the grand scheme of life, is losing a balloon really that big of a deal? No, but in that boy's world, it was a devastating loss. The same applies here for you. Medical school is your balloon. Don't minimize your troubles by thinking they are not "bad enough", because they are completely warranted.

Reactions: 9 users
You know you have been in this cycle way too long without an acceptance when you see the 2016- 2017 schools threads coming up!

Reactions: 10 users
I am rooting for all of you guys. I can honestly say that I know exactly how you feel. I was in your shoes last year, but I am heading to med school in a few months. For those of you on wait list, I sincerely hope you get good news in the next few weeks/months. For those who need to reapply, keep your head up and don't give up. I just posted my story here. If I can do it with my stats, you can too. Best of luck to you.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/my-journey-low-gpa-low-mcat.1196665/

Reactions: 1 user
That feel when the school specific threads now say 2016-2017 and you're still stuck on a waitlist. :dead:

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got my first acceptance on Friday at my top choice medical school! I'm going to be a doctor!!! It still feels so surreal. I'm wishing the best for everyone on this thread. I truly hope that each and every one of you gets into a medical school this cycle. If you're on a waitlist, I hope y'all hear some good news this upcoming week. BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE IT ONLY TAKES ONE ACCEPTANCE.

Reactions: 36 users
Got my first acceptance on Friday at my top choice medical school! I'm going to be a doctor!!! It still feels so surreal. I'm wishing the best for everyone on this thread. I truly hope that each and every one of you gets into a medical school this cycle. If you're on a waitlist, I hope y'all hear some good news this upcoming week. BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE IT ONLY TAKES ONE ACCEPTANCE.
Big Congrats!

CONGRATS!!!!!

They don't do calls on weekends, right? Congrats to all those who heard back!

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

Someone was accepted at Jeff today not that Im stalking the threads or anything. Good Luck this week guys and the month ahead!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Someone was accepted at Jeff today not that Im stalking the threads or anything. Good Luck this weeks guys!!!
People were also accepted at my WL school yesterday and I think today as well. Good luck to everyone!!

We are totally going to have to meet up during orientation! Congratulations again, that's amazing :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone,

I'm new here and I just saw this thread. I just wanted to let everyone who didn't receive an interview or an acceptance know that your med school decision don't define you. Your ability to even just take the time to fill out all those applications, take the MCAT, etc. are all signs of you being committed to wanting to better yourself. If you don't hear back from anyone soon, don't feel like it's over for your life. You can spend this extra year working to improve your resume, try something new, and enjoy yourself. Hell, maybe even realize that you have something else you would rather do and end up carving a new path that will make you happier (sort of where I am at right now; who knew I would like working in business so much). Please don't give yourself regret by saying you didn't try hard enough or you aren't worth being a doctor. You most definitely are. Just give yourself time and let yourself grow even more. The times in which I decided to be more open minded to my rejections and failures lead to exciting opportunities and happiness I never thought of finding. Another year or two won't hurt you in the end since you have the rest of your life to be a doctor or something else. Your life should never be rushed.~

Reactions: 10 users
We are totally going to have to meet up during orientation! Congratulations again, that's amazing :)

Yes!! We should definitely meet up for orientation!!! Congratulations to you too :)

I made a rough draft of my new personal statement this weekend. I sent out many emails asking DOs if I can shadow them. I started writing the secondaries for my top choice schools. I have a list of 40 schools, including several DO schools. I am thoroughly uninterested in a life where I'm not a doctor, so I have to do everything I can. Tomorrow I will have a conversation with my credit card company and see if I can convince them to extend my credit line by several thousand dollars. If not, I will have to figure out a way to earn an awful lot of money in a very short amount of time. Congratulations to those who have been accepted. To everyone else, I hope that you all find peace within yourselves easier than I have.

Reactions: 9 users
I made a rough draft of my new personal statement this weekend. I sent out many emails asking DOs if I can shadow them. I started writing the secondaries for my top choice schools. I have a list of 40 schools, including several DO schools. I am thoroughly uninterested in a life where I'm not a doctor, so I have to do everything I can. Tomorrow I will have a conversation with my credit card company and see if I can convince them to extend my credit line by several thousand dollars. If not, I will have to figure out a way to earn an awful lot of money in a very short amount of time. Congratulations to those who have been accepted. To everyone else, I hope that you all find peace within yourselves easier than I have.
Have you considered being a private tutor? At least where I live, the market for tutoring is excellent.

@bananafish94 in addition, there are lots of clinical jobs out there that pay decently and don't require prior training. OR tech, phlebotomy, dialysis tech, any number of great patient care jobs could help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Good luck to those one the waitlist(s). Sending good thoughts today and in the upcoming weeks :)

Reactions: 4 users
My chances at getting into medical school;

giphy.gif

You're probably better off opening a new card vs getting a line increase which I believe is actually harder to do. Try a travel card, and use the sign up bonus for interview travel. I did this with a few cards this cycle and it really paid off. PM me if you want more info or a referral link for a good card.

You're probably better off opening a new card vs getting a line increase which I believe is actually harder to do. Try a travel card, and use the sign up bonus for interview travel. I did this with a few cards this cycle and it really paid off. PM me if you want more info or a referral link for a good card.
I'll try that. I got denied by like 47000 credit card companies because I'm so highly leveraged with student loans though, so I'm not sure I like my odds.

I'll try that. I got denied by like 47000 credit card companies because I'm so highly leveraged with student loans though, so I'm not sure I like my odds.
maybe this is something you could try.. i wanted a disney credit card (i love disney lol). it's a chase credit card and i filled out the form online multiple times and they kept denying me but i went to a disney store and they approved me right there. nothing changed, but the person in the store told me that they approve people easier in the store than online. maybe you could try something similar with a card from a store

I opened a Discover credit card because they had a good referral program (I think $100 for both people) and they have good cash back on hotels, flights, etc. from what I've heard discover isn't as harsh as other companies when approving people

I went this route with a travel card which offered a nice bonus: spend $$$$ in x months and get ~$500 in bonus money.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So I started thinking about back up plans this weekend.

Someone told me to "grow up and apply to the carribbean. If I'm not going to get in after three tries, I need to realize that I need to do whatever I can to be a doctor and if that means going to the carribbean, go."

That really hurt. I have a loan because I chose to go to Columbia for my masters right now. I've worked hard because All I've ever wanted was to go to a US medical school, MD or DO but hearing that really really hurt me. On top of that PCOM rejected me so just one thing after another :(

Someone told me to "grow up and apply to the carribbean. If I'm not going to get in after three tries, I need to realize that I need to do whatever I can to be a doctor and if that means going to the carribbean, go."

That really hurt. I have a loan because I chose to go to Columbia for my masters right now. I've worked hard because All I've ever wanted was to go to a US medical school, MD or DO but hearing that really really hurt me. On top of that PCOM rejected me so just one thing after another :(
don't listen to what others say. do what's best for you. i would apply broadly to MD and DO next cycle if i were you. i've seen stories of people who applied 3+ times and were accepted. my own cousin barely changed anything about her app her second time around and got in. to a school that rejected her the first time without an interview. personally, if i don't hear from my WL school in the coming week(s), i'm going to talk to them about applying ED. i know people on SDN don't really think it's a good idea applying ED, but i have good reasons for wanting to attend and their timeline isn't that bad to where i'd find out if i'm getting an interview in august and an acceptance in september. i hope we all get acceptances next year, if not this year. i wish you the best of luck chocolate, i'm rooting for you :)

To whoever said that .....

giphy.gif

That's a terrible thing to say to somebody. You have a Master's Degree from one of the finest colleges in the country and someone will see that. If it means applying broadly to only DO schools, so be it.

I'd be more enraged by that person's ignorance than hurt by their remarks..

I am a private tutor. It makes decent money but that goes towards rent and utilities.

You're still a student right? You'll be able to rack up more money either by doing more tutoring or picking up a second job after graduation, once you don't have to be doing classes/homework. I worked two jobs during my gap year, both probably pay less than what you make tutoring and it still is a decent sum!

I got told to look at Caribbean schools last weekend. I'm like no way!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
You're still a student right? You'll be able to rack up more money either by doing more tutoring or picking up a second job after graduation, once you don't have to be doing classes/homework. I worked two jobs during my gap year, both probably pay less than what you make tutoring and it still is a decent sum!
I will likely work two real jobs and do private tutoring on the side. I'll be making a perfectly respectable amount of money--no complaints there. But to be remotely competitive I will need to apply to an obscene number of schools that will likely run me upwards or $4/5000. I'm going to investigate private loans, maybe? I can't do fee assistance because of my parents' income. But there's always money to be found somewhere and I will find it somehow.