Official 2015-2016 "What Are My Chances" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you. Very useful information. It's also not only about protected time for research, but the kind of research. Program can have very different emphases and this will narrow down the list even further.
And the people, infrastructure, and connections necessary to perform that kind of research...

But for the 99.9% of the rest of us, it's about the number and variety of patients you will see in four years, and the experience of the attendings you will see them with.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Updated my profile, would appreciate some advice on application strategy next year, especially since I heard that things are getting more competitive for Psych.

Thanks in advance.

School: U.S. Allopathic (Top 40 FWIW)
STEP-1: 210
STEP-2: not taken yet
Clerkship Grades: Psych: Honors. Surgery: Pass. Rest are to be completed.
LORs: Psych Attending on Clerkship, IM Attending on Research, going to get another one from an attending on my sub-I. I expect them to be strong, my attendings loved me. :)
Research: Summer research, no papers
Extracurriculars: Some club leadership, and some longitudinal involvement in health fairs and mentoring
Red Flags: remediated 1 preclinical exam (bad day on the final :( )
Other: My only goal is to match at a non-malignant program that will give me a decent training experience. I have no restrictions, geographic or otherwise.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Updated my profile, would appreciate some advice on application strategy next year, especially since I heard that things are getting more competitive for Psych.

Thanks in advance.

School: U.S. Allopathic (Top 40 FWIW)
STEP-1: 210
STEP-2: not taken yet
Clerkship Grades: Psych: Honors. Surgery: Pass. Rest are to be completed.
LORs: Psych Attending on Clerkship, IM Attending on Research, going to get another one from an attending on my sub-I. I expect them to be strong, my attendings loved me. :)
Research: Summer research, no papers
Extracurriculars: Some club leadership, and some longitudinal involvement in health fairs and mentoring
Red Flags: remediated 1 preclinical exam (bad day on the final :( )
Other: My only goal is to match at a non-malignant program that will give me a decent training experience. I have no restrictions, geographic or otherwise.

#1 Take step 2 early so that you have a score before the end of September -that was my biggest mistake this season, otherwise you sound fine (especially with your goals and lack of geographic restrictions). Your redflag doesn't seem like much of a redflag at all to me. I know people who had to remediate a preclinical exam and still matched to good ortho programs. Since you specify exam I'm guessing you got a Low pass that changed to a P after the retaken exam - since you didn't actually "fail" it might not even show the original on your transcript depending on your school's policies from what I understand.

So I realize that I'm part of the problem since I applied to quite a few programs. But still haven't heard anything back for any one of them. I sent emails to my top choices last Thursday. Still nothing. I believe my application is solid. Do programs let you know if you've been rejected or waitlisted? Should I sit tight, should I start calling? :bang:

#1 Take step 2 early so that you have a score before the end of September -that was my biggest mistake this season, otherwise you sound fine (especially with your goals and lack of geographic restrictions). Your redflag doesn't seem like much of a redflag at all to me. I know people who had to remediate a preclinical exam and still matched to good ortho programs. Since you specify exam I'm guessing you got a Low pass that changed to a P after the retaken exam - since you didn't actually "fail" it might not even show the original on your transcript depending on your school's policies from what I understand.

I plan to take STEP-2 CK after 3rd year ends. Not sure about timing for CS.

As for the exam/class, it shows up as a "Remediated Pass" on the transcript. I got a really crappy score on that exam, and failed the class because of it. At least the retake went well and that's the only problem I had.

Last edited:
So I realize that I'm part of the problem since I applied to quite a few programs. But still haven't heard anything back for any one of them. I sent emails to my top choices last Thursday. Still nothing. I believe my application is solid. Do programs let you know if you've been rejected or waitlisted? Should I sit tight, should I start calling? :bang:

The one thing you could do at this stage is email program directors, or have people contact them for you if you do have contacts (obviously better). It's probably better than calling, cause with calling you will only be in contact with the program coordinator. I know this whole process is agonizing, but at least based on experiences on this board it's still early in the game for IMGs. IV cancellations will start flowing in November and December. If your application matches well with the published data from match statistics, then you should hold on tight and believe in your chances.

As for the exam/class, it shows up as a "Remediated Pass" on the transcript. I got a really crappy score on that exam, and failed the class because of it. At least the retake went well and that's the only problem I had.

Ahhh ok - my school has tons of "must meet minimum score on final or you get a LP and have to remediate the test" sort of things. Still don't think it's a huge problem.

Schedule Step 2 CS in February of next year. That will allow you to pick a date in June/July/August 2016. I scheduled mine in March and the first dates available where on September.

Scheduling this test can be a pain in the butt if you don't do it early.

Last edited:
The one thing you could do at this stage is email program directors, or have people contact them for you if you do have contacts (obviously better). It's probably better than calling, cause with calling you will only be in contact with the program coordinator. I know this whole process is agonizing, but at least based on experiences on this board it's still early in the game for IMGs. IV cancellations will start flowing in November and December. If your application matches well with the published data from match statistics, then you should hold on tight and believe in your chances.

I have sent emails to PDs. Haven't heard back from anyone which I thought was odd. I was expecting at least, "thank your for your email, we are currently processing your application".

"Hold and tight and believe in your chances" - oh boyy!

I have sent emails to PDs. Haven't heard back from anyone which I thought was odd. I was expecting at least, "thank your for your email, we are currently processing your application".

"Hold and tight and believe in your chances" - oh boyy!

It's the same for me. I only got one reply back that consisted of the above. The PD's are getting right now probably tons of email. Sorry I have nothing better to say. The only thing we can do at the moment is pin our hopes on the published data. I know you applied to a lot of programs, but did you make sure to pick ones that accept IMGs? Are you also ECFMG certified? These might be a couple of factors, but I still believe there's time to get more interviews, particularly when the AMGs start to cancel.

good programs dont require you to have CK in to get an interview. you seem to have a reasonable application, the only negative is the pass in IM (better to have a pass in psych than IM actually as your IM grade is more important). I think you will probably get some more as the season continues. bear in mind west coast is a little more competitive lots of people want cali, portland, and seattle especially. why do you want 15 interviews anyway? it's just greedy. I went on 8 interviews, and ranked 6. there is no reason to go on 15 interviews. You might want to go 2 more interviews to be safe. unless what you really mean is you're still hoping to here from several places that are on your real wish list and the programs you've got interviews from you aren't as interested in?

Members don't see this ad :)
you seem to have a reasonable application, the only negative is the pass in IM (better to have a pass in psych than IM actually as your IM grade is more important).
This view varies by program.

Many places are much more interested in honors in psych. 1) it's the field you're entering and the hope is that you killed this rotation 2) IM at many schools has one of the lowest rates of honors (while psych often has the highest).

Some programs definitely eyeball if the applicant honored psych, followed by how many rotations they honored in general, with no particular weight to IM.

good programs dont require you to have CK in to get an interview.

May or may not be true - if the number of applications is increasing as much as everyone is saying it is, it's a very easy screen to add in. I've gotten several notices that programs are requiring CK before considering applications complete for interview review.

May or may not be true - if the number of applications is increasing as much as everyone is saying it is, it's a very easy screen to add in. I've gotten several notices that programs are requiring CK before considering applications complete for interview review.

I am 100% certain that a majority of the very top programs do not require a cs or ck score for interview invites, at least for applicants in certain categories. Can't be certain that there aren't some that do, or that people who have them won't have a better shot...

I am 100% certain that a majority of the very top programs do not require a cs or ck score for interview invites, at least for applicants in certain categories. Can't be certain that there aren't some that do, or that people who have them won't have a better shot...
by definition if you are requiring step 2 to interview you're not a top program.

Am I right in thinking that Loyola Chicago has a min USMLE score requirement for interview? I've heard maybe a 210. Am I screwed with my 209? Even coming from a top 3 school? Is there anyway of getting around it, like doing an away rotation there?

Still sitting at zero interviews. I applied broadly, and haven't heard back from the majority. I've emailed my top programs expressing my sincere interests. Is there anything else I should be doing, or should I just stay off SDN until match day?

Still sitting at zero interviews. I applied broadly, and haven't heard back from the majority. I've emailed my top programs expressing my sincere interests. Is there anything else I should be doing, or should I just stay off SDN until match day?

No one can say. A lot of mixed feelings. Went to a few interviews in places that accept IMGs. They said applications increased by 1/3rd this year. Panic is real. Not sure if people overapplying or just more competitive now.

Though who knows. Seen some reassurances on forum saying late November/December are the months for us. Only time can tell. Unless you got a poisoned LOR, and you don't know it...

no interview invites at all, just a couple of rejections

please someone tell me it's OK

I'm IMG step 1 219, CK 244, CS pass, all first attempts. 4 LORs, 1 from psychiatry (not US) and one from my EM PD from my home country all 4 are excellent

no interview invites at all, just a couple of rejections

please someone tell me it's OK

I'm IMG step 1 219, CK 244, CS pass, all first attempts. 4 LORs, 1 from psychiatry (not US) and one from my EM PD from my home country all 4 are excellent
These questions are very difficult to answer, because it depends most heavily on when you applied, to how many programs, and to which programs. If you applied late to 5 competitive NY programs, the odds are long. If you applied early in the season to 30 programs with a wide diversity of geography and competitiveness, odds are better.

I'd advise future applicants the same advice they've gotten for years: apply broadly and early. This is going to continue to be more true in the coming years. There has been a small increase in MD school seats, a large increase in DO schools, and a minimal increase in residency spots. IMGs are going to find it increasingly more competitive and DOs will find it more competitive next. Broad and early.

These questions are very difficult to answer, because it depends most heavily on when you applied, to how many programs, and to which programs. If you applied late to 5 competitive NY programs, the odds are long. If you applied early in the season to 30 programs with a wide diversity of geography and competitiveness, odds are better.

I'd advise future applicants the same advice they've gotten for years: apply broadly and early. This is going to continue to be more true in the coming years. There has been a small increase in MD school seats, a large increase in DO schools, and a minimal increase in residency spots. IMGs are going to find it increasingly more competitive and DOs will find it more competitive next. Broad and early.

I did apply early - Sep 15 and to about 80 programs with wide diversity of geography and competitiveness.

I fear my less pronounced interest in psychiatry (only 1 LOR from my home country and no research or USCE) and step 1 score is hurting me so badly that I might stay out of the residency this year.

I did apply early - Sep 15 and to about 80 programs with wide diversity of geography and competitiveness.

I fear my less pronounced interest in psychiatry (only 1 LOR from my home country and no research or USCE) and step 1 score is hurting me so badly that I might stay out of the residency this year.
I dont think its the step 1. your lack of US clinical experience and lack of psychiatry experience anyway will likely be the issue. programs are very sensitive about IMGs choosing psychiatry because they mistakenly see it as easier to get into (it isn't IM is probably an easier bet actually at the bottom of the barrel programs). So evidence of a commitment to the specialty (such as having completely psychiatry residency in home country, or significant psychiatric clinical or research experience in the US are required). Even the bad programs take only applicants who have extensive psychiatric experience so if you were told that wasn't necessary you were misled. That said, unless there are things we were missing or you applied to all the vaguely competitive programs then you should get some invites eventually.

I dont think its the step 1. your lack of US clinical experience and lack of psychiatry experience anyway will likely be the issue. programs are very sensitive about IMGs choosing psychiatry because they mistakenly see it as easier to get into (it isn't IM is probably an easier bet actually at the bottom of the barrel programs). So evidence of a commitment to the specialty (such as having completely psychiatry residency in home country, or significant psychiatric clinical or research experience in the US are required). Even the bad programs take only applicants who have extensive psychiatric experience so if you were told that wasn't necessary you were misled. That said, unless there are things we were missing or you applied to all the vaguely competitive programs then you should get some invites eventually.

I have no special insights, but all of this sounds correct.

There are a few IMGs in my psych residency program. One who comes to mind is from Syria where he had finished a dermatology residency - a very competent physician and a great colleague. So what I gather from an example like that is in addition to seeking applicants with tangible evidence of interest in and exposure to US clinical experiences and research in psychiatry, they are also looking for candidates who have a track record of success beyond a degree and Step scores.

First time post gang. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Step 1: 214 (not the best)
Step 2 CK/ CS: Taking in May
School: US Allopathic MD
Class Rank: Second quartile in the first two years / not too sure for the third year
Grades in Clerkship: High pass surgery, high pass pediatrics, Pass OB/GYN, waiting for other grades
AOA: no
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: Currently attempting to publish a chapter on ADHD for international psych related research, Process of submitting an abstract Infectious disease and palliative care, Setting up long-term suicide prevention screening project with faculty at school, Set up student organization sending students to Ghana, vice president of student psych society
Red Flags: (step failures, etc): Outside of low step 1 score, none
Overview of where you want to end up: I would like to end up in an eastern costal school but will take what I can get.

Of note, I know that psychiatry is becoming a lot more competitive. It was my game plan all along to do psychiatry but am now worried that I might need to apply to as many schools as possible due to the low step score. Whatever words of advice that can be spared would be deeply appreciated. Thanks for your help

Any allopathic US graduate without red flags can get into psychiatry on either coast. If you have no failures and you are not at the bottom of your class, you can find training. It isn’t how many you apply to, as much as which programs. You can apply to the top 12 programs in the country and not get in, or you could apply to 6 or 7 modest programs and have your choice. Most allopathic graduates who go unmatched have red flags, or grossly over shot. Low USMLE is not failing.

Of note, I know that psychiatry is becoming a lot more competitive. It was my game plan all along to do psychiatry but am now worried that I might need to apply to as many schools as possible due to the low step score. Whatever words of advice that can be spared would be deeply appreciated. Thanks for your help
no it isn't and 214 is not really a low step score even if it is below average. why dont you post back in this thread when you actually have something to post in about 8 months time.

First time post gang. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Step 2 CK/ CS: Taking in May
Class Rank: Second quartile in the first two years / not too sure for the third year
Grades in Clerkship: High pass surgery, high pass pediatrics, Pass OB/GYN, waiting for other grades
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: Currently attempting to publish a chapter on ADHD for international psych related research, Process of submitting an abstract Infectious disease and palliative care, Setting up long-term suicide prevention screening project with faculty at school, Set up student organization sending students to Ghana, vice president of student psych society
Red Flags: (step failures, etc): Outside of low step 1 score, none
Overview of where you want to end up: I would like to end up in an eastern costal school but will take what I can get.

You will be fine. Just apply to average programs. There are plenty to apply to.

Try and get in the 230's and preferably 240+ on CK. But, you should have no problem if you can interview decently in getting a spot. I would advise to get off the coast a bit because everyone loves the coast.

It has gotten more popular but still very obtainable.

Any allopathic US graduate without red flags can get into psychiatry on either coast. If you have no failures and you are not at the bottom of your class, you can find training. It isn’t how many you apply to, as much as which programs. You can apply to the top 12 programs in the country and not get in, or you could apply to 6 or 7 modest programs and have your choice. Most allopathic graduates who go unmatched have red flags, or grossly over shot. Low USMLE is not failing.

Thanks for the advice! I know it isn't really that bad (the situation I am currently in) but I would just like a sounding board regarding my status. Again, hope all is well and thank you

no it isn't and 214 is not really a low step score even if it is below average. why dont you post back in this thread when you actually have something to post in about 8 months time.

I appreciate the help! thanks!

You will be fine. Just apply to average programs. There are plenty to apply to.

Try and get in the 230's and preferably 240+ on CK. But, you should have no problem if you can interview decently in getting a spot. I would advise to get off the coast a bit because everyone loves the coast.

It has gotten more popular but still very obtainable.

Thanks! I am trying to knock step 2 out of the park. Hopefully it will go well.

So I guess I am here to update my status after third year haha

Step 2 CK/ CS: 233
Class Rank: Second quartile in the first two years / Second quartile for third year
Grades in Clerkship:
Pass: OB/GYN
High pass: Surgery, Peds, Medicine, Neurology, Family medicine
Honors: Psychiatry
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: Currently published a chapter on ADHD for international psych related research, Process of submitting case report for Neurology, Publishing article in journal of clinical toxicology, setting up long-term suicide prevention screening project with faculty at school, Set up student organization sending students to Ghana, vice president of student psych society,
Red Flags: (step failures, etc): None

Overview of where you want to end up: My hope is to get an interview to Mt. Sinai, Cornell, NYU or any other city school (Philidelphia, DC, etc) on the eastern seaboard. I understand that the step scores in this day of age may limit my chance but any solid advice regarding applying to these types of schools would be sincerely appreciative.

So I guess I am here to update my status after third year haha

Step 2 CK/ CS: 233
Class Rank: Second quartile in the first two years / Second quartile for third year
Grades in Clerkship:
Pass: OB/GYN
High pass: Surgery, Peds, Medicine, Neurology, Family medicine
Honors: Psychiatry
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: Currently published a chapter on ADHD for international psych related research, Process of submitting case report for Neurology, Publishing article in journal of clinical toxicology, setting up long-term suicide prevention screening project with faculty at school, Set up student organization sending students to Ghana, vice president of student psych society,
Red Flags: (step failures, etc): None

Overview of where you want to end up: My hope is to get an interview to Mt. Sinai, Cornell, NYU or any other city school (Philidelphia, DC, etc) on the eastern seaboard. I understand that the step scores in this day of age may limit my chance but any solid advice regarding applying to these types of schools would be sincerely appreciative.
Look for connections. Clearly, you've shown plenty of interest in psychiatry and done well in your clinicals, and it sounds like you should have mentors who will enthusiastically support your application - see if any of them have any personal connections at the programs you mentioned. You application may get screened out based on your Step 1 score but if someone calls these programs on your behalf and your application gets looked at you should have a chance.

Luckily Mt. Sinai has several programs with different levels of competitiveness. Also consider Albert Einstein/Montefiore - it's somewhat less prestigious but solid and fulfills your geographic preferences.

Last edited:
Look for connections. Clearly, you've shown plenty of interest in psychiatry and done well in your clinicals, and it sounds like you should have mentors that will enthusiastically support your application - see if any of them have any personal connections at the programs you mentioned. You application may get screened out based on your Step 1 score but if someone calls these programs on your behalf and your application gets looked at you should have a chance.

Luckily Mt. Sinai has several programs with different levels of competitiveness. Also consider Albert Einstein/Montefiore - it's somewhat less prestigious but solid and fulfills your geographic preferences.

Thanks so much for the insight. Yeah, connections are totally understandable and definitely will have to rely on some strong mentors to hopefully open the door. Trying to keep my head up and finish the fight.

Step 1: 234
Step 2 CK/ CS: July
School: MD School (low-mid tier, in NE region)
Class Rank: Bottom Half
Grades in Clerkship: All PASS including psych rotation; good evaluations.
AOA: No
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars:Normal extracurriculars, some clinical research with 2 poster presentations. No pubs. Non-psych related research.
Red Flags: No major red flags
Overview of where you want to end up: Would like to end up in NE program (preferably NY/Boston) or programs along West Coast.

Would really appreciate some advice regarding what programs are possible for me in those regions based on mediocre grades and average application otherwise. I'm not sure what programs are too high of a reach for me. Do some programs filter out applicants based on clerkship grades?

Thank you so much.

Step 1: 234
Step 2 CK/ CS: July
School: MD School (low-mid tier, in NE region)
Class Rank: Bottom Half
Grades in Clerkship: All PASS including psych rotation; good evaluations.
AOA: No
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars:Normal extracurriculars, some clinical research with 2 poster presentations. No pubs. Non-psych related research.
Red Flags: No major red flags
Overview of where you want to end up: Would like to end up in NE program (preferably NY/Boston) or programs along West Coast.

Would really appreciate some advice regarding what programs are possible for me in those regions based on mediocre grades and average application otherwise. I'm not sure what programs are too high of a reach for me. Do some programs filter out applicants based on clerkship grades?

Thank you so much.
You already posted this in this year's WAMC thread AND started a new thread for yourself. Did you really need to triple-post and necrobump last year's thread?

Not only that, but your story is different between your WAMC posts and the one you made for yourself on the main forum.

Lying to us isn't going to help us give you reasonable advice.

Reactions: 1 users
Deleted, reposted in the new thread.

Last edited: