Official 2015-2016 "What Are My Chances" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sure. But you have a solid shot at interviews at most of those places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

So it seems that the programs on my list that are more competitive are:

UCSD
Northwestern
WashU
Mayo (the institution is overall well regarded but I don't know about the program...)
Brigham & Women's/HMS -- only applying because I have a connection; I doubt they'd even look at me if I didn't.

Am I right that these are indeed more on the competitive side?

WashU is not really that selective - very fine program - but they are not on a coast, know what I mean?

Northwestern is, OTOH, a tough place to get an invite from...go figure.

WashU is not really that selective - very fine program - but they are not on a coast, know what I mean?

Northwestern is, OTOH, a tough place to get an invite from...go figure.

*sigh* Then maybe I won't apply to Northwestern at all. I have a Chicago connection, but they rejected me from their 7 yr med program, they rejected me from their actual med school... I really don't see why they would accept me for residency.

And UChicago's really academic, right? I kind of got an Ivory Tower feeling from their site, and that's kind of turned me off.

Members don't see this ad :)
*sigh* Then maybe I won't apply to Northwestern at all. I have a Chicago connection, but they rejected me from their 7 yr med program, they rejected me from their actual med school... I really don't see why they would accept me for residency.

And UChicago's really academic, right? I kind of got an Ivory Tower feeling from their site, and that's kind of turned me off.

If Northwestern ISN'T too academic of you to want, then U Chicago will be fine.

Getting into residency is a completely different game than getting into medical school. I know chairmen that are running programs they were rejected from. Getting picked out of the sea of people who want to become doctors is not the same as getting picked from the lake of people who are doctors and what to become psychiatrists, or the pond of psychiatrists who are applying at a specific job at a program. Don’t let past failure propagate learned helplessness. Successful people fail more often than they succeed, they just throw more arrows in the sky.
:nod:

Reactions: 1 users

Honestly, UofC could have a "Department of the study of Kardashians and Dubsteb" and even that would probably have a pretentious-looking website.

They have what's probably the best CL program in the city, though from the rumblings I've heard, their inpatient situation is... ..."in transition" right now.

WTF... Omg:confused:

Not sure what the scores were for the MDs accepted but being the 250 DO guy, it did feel this way. Specifically at nicer places such as where splik did residency.

And yes I find it bull**** that something I did academically 17 years ago still follows me today, but it does help me stay motivated.

If someone gets a 205 and went to Harvard he's probably riding someone's coat tails and will be a trash psychiatrist in the long run, anyway. I'd rather a 210 from a state school than 205 from an Ivy, that just screams "lazy".

Not sure what the scores were for the MDs accepted but being the 250 DO guy, it did feel this way. Specifically at nicer places such as where splik did residency.

And yes I find it bull**** that something I did academically 17 years ago still follows me today, but it does help me stay motivated.

If someone gets a 205 and went to Harvard he's probably riding someone's coat tails and will be a trash psychiatrist in the long run, anyway. I'd rather a 210 from a state school than 205 from an Ivy, that just screams "lazy".
I can predict those responding to this , (probably a bit jelly about that baller 250...). 250 ain't no fluke!

Anyhow did you apply mostly west coast? I'm only a mid 230s guy myself, but I'd rather save bucks applying to places who won't give me a sniff for the letters.

I'm a US MD with a 210 STEP-1, but there's a problem: I might only get a "Pass" in my Psych rotation. I did excellently on my second psych service (2 services = 1 rotation at my school) and expect a solid LOR from the attending, but had some trouble on my first service, which was my first time in clinical medicine. Is it still possible for me to match into Psych?

Aside from that, I have a minor red flag in one remediated class. I have a couple volunteer and research experiences.

I'm a US MD with a 210 STEP-1, but there's a problem: I might only get a "Pass" in my Psych rotation. I did excellently on my second psych service (2 services = 1 rotation at my school) and expect a solid LOR from the attending, but had some trouble on my first service, which was my first time in clinical medicine. Is it still possible for me to match into Psych?

Aside from that, I have a minor red flag in one remediated class. I have a couple volunteer and research experiences.

The "minor red flag" matters much more than getting just a pass.

And the strong LOR in psych more than offsets getting just a pass.

Last edited:

And the strong LOR in psych matters more than offsets getting just a pass.

if the remediation was pre-clinical, it's not something to be all that concerned about. A rotation is a different matter.

And the strong LOR in psych matters more than offsets getting just a pass.

I see. In that context, how should I alter my application strategy for Psych?

if the remediation was pre-clinical, it's not something to be all that concerned about. A rotation is a different matter.

It was preclinical. One bad day on a Heme Exam, haha.

I see. In that context, how should I alter my application strategy for Psych?

Hard to advise you to alter your strategy since I don't know what it is.

If you plan to apply broadly and mostly to mid tiers, to at least 15 programs, you should be fine. If your plan is to apply mostly to the likes of places like Columbia, Cornell, Longwood, UCLA, et al, those should be in addition to 15 or so mid tier places, because you will likely get shut out at most if not all of the tippy top tiers. Your goal should be 8 to 10 interviews, and if you feel like you have an "in" at your home institution, and it is a program you would gladly attend, then that can relieve a lot of pressure in this process.

I didn't have any red flags, and had a little higher Step 1, and I applied to 25 programs, received 18 interview invites IIRC. In hindsight it was overkill, but I didn't have my heart set on the biggest name programs that are discussed ad nauseum on SDN. I applied very broadly, mostly mid tier programs in the south and southwest, and very few on the east and west coasts, if that helps paint the picture.

Members don't see this ad :)

I didn't apply to Northwestern for medical school, but I'm sure I would have had a high chance of rejection. I applied for residency and got an interview. Different world. Different criteria.

Hard to advise you to alter your strategy since I don't know what it is.

If you plan to apply broadly and mostly to mid tiers, to at least 15 programs, you should be fine. If your plan is to apply mostly to the likes of places like Columbia, Cornell, Longwood, UCLA, et al, those should be in addition to 15 or so mid tier places, because you will likely get shut out at most if not all of the tippy top tiers. Your goal should be 8 to 10 interviews, and if you feel like you have an "in" at your home institution, and it is a program you would gladly attend, then that can relieve a lot of pressure in this process.

I didn't have any red flags, and had a little higher Step 1, and I applied to 25 programs, received 18 interview invites IIRC. In hindsight it was overkill, but I didn't have my heart set on the biggest name programs that are discussed ad nauseum on SDN. I applied very broadly, mostly mid tier programs in the south and southwest, and very few on the east and west coasts, if that helps paint the picture.

Thank you for your advice.

I'm not really interested in top-tier programs. My location preference would be somewhere in the South, failing that, the Midwest.

Is Psych similar to IM in that the specific program makes a difference in what Fellowships you can get into? I assume not, but I figured I would check.

Thank you for your advice.

I'm not really interested in top-tier programs. My location preference would be somewhere in the South, failing that, the Midwest.

Is Psych similar to IM in that the specific program makes a difference in what Fellowships you can get into? I assume not, but I figured I would check.

On fellowships: just read through the threads here and I think you will find that getting into fellowships is no big deal in psych - more openings than applicants. You will need to figure out if you really want to do a fellowship - essential for child and adolescent psych, but not so much for any others unless you foresee an academic career. I have simplified it, and am sure others will chime in here. I have zero intention of doing one, aiming for a private practice career in general adult psych.

What if you have a "wtf" comment in your MSPE?

All of mine are strong to my knowledge, but a two-week urology service comments were, and I quote,

"Average communication skills."

I tried to dispute it and try to figure out what it was all about, but it went nowhere. I think I know what they took issue with and could explain if asked. (One, I had surgery before medicine and two, residents on this particular service liked literally 20-word presentations on rounds and, like.... I couldn't do that when I haven't even had medicine and didn't know what's important, and three, that service always made us feel like they didn't want students around.)

I'm hoping the fact that it's one comment among a sea of generally positive ones won't be a deal breaker, and also it's from a surgeon, but....?

I had a hard time with 3rd year, honestly. I didn't fail anything, which is what everyone keeps asking me, but I got one low pass in Peds, and Psych and FM, the clerkships I got HP's in, were the only services that weren't unilaterally terrible. (The patients and the learning parts were fine, but toxic team dynamics, dragon-like nurses, and all the crazy crap you can possible imagine happening 3rd year were common fixtures).

Last edited:
Level 1: 422
Step 2 CK/ CS: taking july 2016
School: Osteopathic
Class Rank: middle 1/3
Grades in Clerkship: currently a 3rd year..none yet
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 2 research projects in undergrad (one presentation), hospice volunteer in undergrad
Red Flags: (step failures, etc) none
Overview of where you want to end up: southwest.

How do I look so far? Thanks :)

Level 1: 422
Step 2 CK/ CS: taking july 2016
School: Osteopathic
Class Rank: middle 1/3
Grades in Clerkship: currently a 3rd year..none yet
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 2 research projects in undergrad (one presentation), hospice volunteer in undergrad
Red Flags: (step failures, etc) none
Overview of where you want to end up: southwest.

How do I look so far? Thanks :)
Looks like you're a 2017 grad. This thread is for those applying for 2015-2016 match.

Anyhow, you will need to improve your Level 2 score significantly. Work on getting solid LOR, I would say 2 very strong psych letters along with a solid 1-2 from other fields. Ace those psych rotations. Demonstrate that you're truly enthusiastic for psych. And when the time comes apply far and wide.

All of that said, kind of tough to say where you stand. Come back next year and we'll see! Good luck.

What if you have a "wtf" comment in your MSPE?

All of mine are strong to my knowledge, but a two-week urology service comments were, and I quote,

"Average communication skills."

I tried to dispute it and try to figure out what it was all about, but it went nowhere. I think I know what they took issue with and could explain if asked. (One, I had surgery before medicine and two, residents on this particular service liked literally 20-word presentations on rounds and, like.... I couldn't do that when I haven't even had medicine and didn't know what's important, and three, that service always made us feel like they didn't want students around.)

I'm hoping the fact that it's one comment among a sea of generally positive ones won't be a deal breaker, and also it's from a surgeon, but....?

I had a hard time with 3rd year, honestly. I didn't fail anything, which is what everyone keeps asking me, but I got one low pass in Peds, and Psych and FM, the clerkships I got HP's in, were the only services that weren't unilaterally terrible. (The patients and the learning parts were fine, but toxic team dynamics, dragon-like nurses, and all the crazy crap you can possible imagine happening 3rd year were common fixtures).
They including all comments in your letter?

For the purpose of getting interview invites, do I need to release my comlex scores if I have both USMLE I & II? Thanks in advance.

For the purpose of getting interview invites, do I need to release my comlex scores if I have both USMLE I & II? Thanks in advance.

Good question, I’m sure AOA programs would need COMLEX. As far as ACGME programs, as long as you didn’t fail COMLEX, if you have both, the COMLEX will be ignored by the majority of places. I’m sure there is an answer as to how to compare COMLEX to USMLE, but I don’t know what that is. COMLEX gets looked at vs other COMLEX scores and that is about all.

Reactions: 1 user
I would release both. Most program websites I've seen ask for both. I took USMLE 1 and 2 as well but I plan on disclosing all scores. Why not?

Last edited:
I did relatively much better on USMLE so it would potentially favorable for my comlex scores not to be compared among the other comlex scores.

Last edited:
I did relatively much better on USMLE so it would potentially favorable for my comlex scores not to be compared among the other comlex scores.
But as a DO student don't you think they may ask "Where is this kid's COMLEX?" especially when most of the others have them. Kinda looks like you're hiding something.

So, um, when it comes to "applying broadly" for a US MD who is a just above average applicant, is 46 programs overkill? That's how many I have on my list right now, and I can't seem to narrow it down anymore.

Also, in psychiatry world "work intensive" means what? How many hours a week would that be? 60-70? 80?

46 is overkill for a US MD. 12 is fine and 20 is actually overkill. Even scheduling 10 interviews unless all in the same city/region will be tricky. I would make a rank list of those you are considering and just pick those in the top 20.

As to 'work intensive' - think of it this way. All programs have to fulfill the same ACGME requirements so there is going to be a floor on the minimum hours. Some programs may have more work, some less, but in the end it is not going to be wildly different. Each resident will find the work different too. I know medical students who are now residents at 'easy' programs who find it tough and others at 'tough' programs who find it super easy.

So it seems that the programs on my list that are more competitive are:

UCSD
Northwestern
WashU
Mayo (the institution is overall well regarded but I don't know about the program...)
Brigham & Women's/HMS -- only applying because I have a connection; I doubt they'd even look at me if I didn't.

Am I right that these are indeed more on the competitive side?

I can assure you that we look at everyone and your application, not any connections, is what will get you in. If you take the time to send us an application, we will take the time to carefully look at it. Also, our name can be confusing and really is 'Harvard Longwood Psychiatry Residency Training Program' and our core sites include Brigham and Women's Hospital / Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center / Mass. Mental Health Center and these are all affiliated with HMS

They including all comments in your letter?

Noo, they supposedly include only the positive comments in the letter. There's two categories: 1) positive comments for MSPE, and 2) constructive comments for the student's eyes only.

Well, what this evaluator wrote was as follows:

Positive comments for MSPE: "Average communication skills."
Constructive feedback for student only: "Very smart person. Had some issues communicating with providers in clinic and team dynamics."

I mean, *I* seriously did a "wtf" take when I read that. Like, why would you not put "very smart person" in the positive comments for MSPE and put average communication skills there instead? Maybe the evaluator misunderstood the instructions, but I kind of did a double take when I saw that myself and tried to argue it... but it's a long story as to why that didn't work out. It's also a long story why I don't think the criticism was fair, because I never got an explanation and can only guess at what the issues they were referring to were.

Now, the good news is that this is a surgery specialty service that was 2 weeks long as opposed to a psychiatry service.

Long story short, with that dumb line in my MSPE and a Low Pass in peds, I am not sure that I am a good applicant for Harvard Longwood or indeed any reputable place.

And learned helplessness? Learned helplessness is my flippin' middle name.

Last edited:
But as a DO student don't you think they may ask "Where is this kid's COMLEX?" especially when most of the others have them. Kinda looks like you're hiding something.

Oh, I'm trying to hide them :) They're in need of hiding.

I wouldn't hide anything. Just my 2 cents (if that).

I'm not really hiding them, but if they weren't necessary information then I could forego submitting them as they aren't particularly favorable.

Well, what this evaluator wrote was as follows:

Positive comments for MSPE: "Average communication skills."
Constructive feedback for student only: "Very smart person. Had some issues communicating with providers in clinic and team dynamics."

I mean, *I* seriously did a "wtf" take when I read that. Like, why would you not put "very smart person" in the positive comments for MSPE and put average communication skills there instead? Maybe the evaluator misunderstood the instructions, but I kind of did a double take when I saw that myself and tried to argue it... but it's a long story as to why that didn't work out. It's also a long story why I don't think the criticism was fair, because I never got an explanation and can only guess at what the issues they were referring to were.

Now, the good news is that this is a surgery specialty service that was 2 weeks long as opposed to a psychiatry service.

Guys, please. Somebody tell me if that weird comment is a red flag and if I should try to get it removed? My school does not allow much editing of dean's letters, but I could try and approach the evaluator to rescind or reword it.

I just want to know how worried I should be.

I have no other red flags except a low pass in peds, but oddly enough all the MSPE comments from peds are nice enough -- diplomatic, focus on strengths, and highlight how much I've improved over the course of the clerkship. The reason for the low pass was a good one, too. It was an early rotation and I went from having had psych and neuro to an ICU service. The peds people at my school are also notorious for having high standards. All in all, a bad combination.

Is this all or none? Can you show COMLEX to some programs and not to others? Seems like you would need to show them to AOA programs so if you apply to any of those, you have no choice.

Is this all or none? Can you show COMLEX to some programs and not to others? Seems like you would need to show them to AOA programs so if you apply to any of those, you have no choice.

I'm not applying to any of the AOA programs. I'm just going to release them and hope that more weight is given to the USMLE. I didn't touch OMM for either Step I or II and my score reflects it. Frequently on FREIDA, a program will have avg USMLE of 221-240 (I'm a 242) and the corresponding average COMLEX range is 551-650 (I'm 566). It's probably not that big of a deal and if there's any question as to whether I should submit, I probably should go ahead. Had I gotten resounding assurance it wasn't necessary, I would forego.

Guys, please. Somebody tell me if that weird comment is a red flag and if I should try to get it removed? My school does not allow much editing of dean's letters, but I could try and approach the evaluator to rescind or reword it.

I have no other red flags except a low pass in peds, but oddly enough all the MSPE comments from peds are nice enough -- diplomatic, focus on strengths, and highlight how much I've improved over the course of the clerkship. The reason for the low pass was a good one, too. It was an early rotation and I went from having had psych and neuro to an ICU service. The peds people at my school are also notorious for having high standards. All in all, a bad combination.

Surgical services in many places are notorious for terse, unhelpful comments. A friend of mine worked himself half to death on a trauma service and apparently they loved him, but the only written comment he got was "participated in team activities." Thought experiment for a moment: how likely do you think it is that, at a psych residency ranking meeting, someone is going to say "well, we like this one, but a urologist was not very effusive about them one time, so screw'em."

If you think this will occur, what percentage would you assign to the strength of your belief?

My favorite from over ten years ago; University of Miami: “he was particularly comfortable doing pelvic examinations”.
:smack:

Reactions: 2 users

I don't think it is a "red flag". Even if a PD is reading every comment in the dean's letter, it's not going to add much weight. If I even noticed it, I'd probably dismiss it as coming from a surgical subspecialty in which you are not particularly interested and leave it at that. (I'd also mutter some kudos under my breath for an evaluator that might actually understand what the word "average" means! Statistically, about 2/3 of us are going to be within a standard deviation of the mean--and Lake-Wobegon-notwithstanding--you really can't tell me that 99% of my applicants are "above average"!)

Focus on showing excellent communication skills in your interviews and remove all doubt.

I'm not applying to any of the AOA programs. I'm just going to release them and hope that more weight is given to the USMLE. I didn't touch OMM for either Step I or II and my score reflects it. Frequently on FREIDA, a program will have avg USMLE of 221-240 (I'm a 242) and the corresponding average COMLEX range is 551-650 (I'm 566). It's probably not that big of a deal and if there's any question as to whether I should submit, I probably should go ahead. Had I gotten resounding assurance it wasn't necessary, I would forego.
If you have USMLEs there, we won't even look twice at COMLEX to try to figure out if you did well or badly.

That's still a good COMLEX. Coupled with that sweet USMLE and I wouldn't have the slightest worry. I'll trade my COMLEX for your USMLE!

I wouldn't worry. An "average communication skills" on your psych sub-I might raise flags but folks will gloss (at most) comments made about you by a two week urology supervisor.

I can predict those responding to this , (probably a bit jelly about that baller 250...). 250 ain't no fluke!

Anyhow did you apply mostly west coast? I'm only a mid 230s guy myself, but I'd rather save bucks applying to places who won't give me a sniff for the letters.

Yeah, mostly West Coast. I would say OHSU was an outlier to the up turning of noses to DOs. I found the midwest to be underrated and extremely friendly in general.

Yeah, mostly West Coast. I would say OHSU was an outlier to the up turning of noses to DOs. I found the midwest to be underrated and extremely friendly in general.

OHSU has a lot of DOs these days. There are more and more DOs in the other specialties, too -- I know the IM department would take a few DOs, although I'm guessing they were pretty stellar. When I interviewed at UW way back in the dark ages, I think the only DOs they had were at their affiliate sites (Boise, Spokane). UCLA - NPI didn't have any DOs, and I felt disadvantaged coming from a no name state allopathic school there. I think UCSD had DOs.

It's not surprising that the Midwest would be more friendly. DOs schools used to be concentrated there, so people know what it is and are more likely to have worked with DOs.

I can assure you that we look at everyone and your application, not any connections, is what will get you in. If you take the time to send us an application, we will take the time to carefully look at it. Also, our name can be confusing and really is 'Harvard Longwood Psychiatry Residency Training Program' and our core sites include Brigham and Women's Hospital / Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center / Mass. Mental Health Center and these are all affiliated with HMS

I phrased that poorly, perhaps. By "connection," I meant that I did a fair bit of research at HMS before med school, and all I wanted to say was that it's not the sort of job you're likely to get if you're a dunce. I'm obviously not expecting that experience alone to get me in anywhere.

I apologize if this is completely neurotic, but I have a quick question about letters of recommendation.

Despite multiple reminder e-mails and reassurances over the past few months, all of my letter writers are now telling me they are uploading the letters later this week. When do programs generally start reviewing apps? And would anyone look at an app with 0 letters uploaded (I've read that 1-2 are often fine)?

I am really hoping this doesn't lower my chances for interviews seeing as I did all I could (aside from verbal harassment) to get my materials in.

I apologize if this is completely neurotic, but I have a quick question about letters of recommendation.

Despite multiple reminder e-mails and reassurances over the past few months, all of my letter writers are now telling me they are uploading the letters later this week. When do programs generally start reviewing apps? And would anyone look at an app with 0 letters uploaded (I've read that 1-2 are often fine)?

I am really hoping this doesn't lower my chances for interviews seeing as I did all I could (aside from verbal harassment) to get my materials in.

We are not looking at applications yet so your timing is fine!

Again--this paranoia about having everything complete in the first week is completely unwarranted.
Chill, folks.
And it's perfectly ok if you wait to upload until after everybody and their sister has already torn their hair out over the clogged-up bandwidth tomorrow. It will be JUST FINE if you wait a few hours...even a couple days.

So on behalf of all us who want to match someplace warm, how socially acceptable is it to bring this up, even in a tongue in cheek way during interviews?

We are not looking at applications yet so your timing is fine!

Again--this paranoia about having everything complete in the first week is completely unwarranted.
Chill, folks.
And it's perfectly ok if you wait to upload until after everybody and their sister has already torn their hair out over the clogged-up bandwidth tomorrow. It will be JUST FINE if you wait a few hours...even a couple days.

You're both right...I'll take a chill pill and watch some Netflix. Thanks for the responses!

Chill, folks.

Thank you for your calming assurances. They're much needed right now with all the fretting.

OK, so what I am learning is that I’m expected to drain a fresh flash drive and down load all of the applications today and never look again for any updates. If you are not complete by noon on 9/15, you are SOL. (complete sarcasm).

How would this approach advantage either side? Don’t worry; anything before Dean’s letters come out is plenty early. Good luck everyone, unless you are a program director in my area in which case, release the hounds and let the games begin!