Official 2015 Anesthesiology Match Day Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minwoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok for me to get this thread going??

I matched at Vanderbilt!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sticking around Boston - MGH!

Match day part two involved much less fanfare - I was post overnight so I woke up to a bunch of people texting me asking me where. Read the e-mail, forwarded it to my family, and went back to bed. Very excited!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Have been creeping for so many years - BI! If anyone else on here is going BI, PM me - we should start an FB group :)

If anyone wants me to post their results anonymously I will be glad to do so. I think in years past I have also posted the rank number as well.

Congratulations to everybody! This is an exciting time for you, try not to let the doom and gloom that is sometimes pervasive on this board get to you.:)

Reactions: 3 users
Ohio State, advanced. #1. Also matched to Mt Carmel, my #1 choice TY year also in Columbus. No need for anonymity here, I suicide matched to Ohio State (applied to and ranked only OSU) for family reasons and everyone there knows it!

Reactions: 1 user
Ohio State, advanced. #1. Also matched to Mt Carmel, my #1 choice TY year also in Columbus. No need for anonymity here, I suicide matched to Ohio State (applied to and ranked only OSU) for family reasons and everyone there knows it!

nice! amazing faculty.. ill be sad to say goodbye!

Congrats everyone!
BI, #1 from the start. :love:

Sanity - I'm an EM->anesthesia person, too. Ran into several on the trail (along with all the super sad panda surgery residents fleeing to gas...hahahahahaha, poor things).

Poisson - I'm not a FB person, but can't wait to meet everyone in the reals. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone!
BI, #1 from the start. :love:

Sanity - I'm an EM->anesthesia person, too. Ran into several on the trail (along with all the super sad panda surgery residents fleeing to gas...hahahahahaha, poor things).

Poisson - I'm not a FB person, but can't wait to meet everyone in the reals. :)
:) np, just saw the class - if youre around Boston, we should meet up!

Roughly 65 spots available. 65 spots went unfilled. They will release the names of programs in a few weeks i believe.

Last edited:
wow 65 spots went unfilled after the scramble? thats a lot isn't it?

Are you referring to the 13 page Advanced Tables document, or is there another document we should refer to?
If you go into NRMP and click "My Reports" and then open the document "Match Outcome of All Programs by State"

If you use find and type "Anesthesiology" it will quickly jump from program to program so you can see which programs did not fill in the match. B&W, BID, and Cornell were all surprisingly able to rebound this year. Only one program really shocked me that they did not fill (maybe two but I do not know much about the other). Three pretty well known programs were repeat no-fills this year.

If you go into NRMP and click "My Reports" and then open the document "Match Outcome of All Programs by State"

If you use find and type "Anesthesiology" it will quickly jump from program to program so you can see which programs did not fill in the match. B&W, BID, and Cornell were all surprisingly able to rebound this year. Only one program really shocked me that they did not fill (maybe two but I do not know much about the other). Three pretty well known programs were repeat no-fills this year.

Which 3 programs were repeat? And which one shocked you?

Is there a way for people without a NRMP account to see that info?

Last edited:
Just wanted to say a quick "Congrats" to everyone! I met a lot of really great people on the interview trail and I am excited about all the people going into anesthesiology. I look forward to seeing a lot of you at a regional/national meeting sometime in the future.

Which 3 programs were repeat? And which one shocked you?

Is there a way for people without a NRMP account to see that info?

The data is not easily accessible to the general public so I would prefer not to say right now. I have to imagine that the NRMP main residency match data page will be updated sometime soon. I would recommend the "Program Results" document once it is updated (which will include 2011-2015 data). You will be able to see which programs did not fill this year as well as if a program has previously had problems filling. In the meantime here is the 2010-2014 data (use the "find" feature and type "anesthesiology" to skip from program-to-program for greatest ease and the asterisk is helpful because it is an additional signal that the program did not fill in the match).

Any reason so little fanfare with match results these days? I can remember past years the results with at least 100 replies. Now its just a smattering. I get excited to see people post where they are heading for residency. Whats the fear (if any)?

Any reason so little fanfare with match results these days? I can remember past years the results with at least 100 replies. Now its just a smattering. I get excited to see people post where they are heading for residency. Whats the fear (if any)?
I wouldn't be surprised if the incessant negativity on this forum keeps people away. I long for the days when Plank, Copro and others got into pissing matches screaming that the other was ******ed and committing malpractice.

Reactions: 1 users
The fear is getting identified if you say something offensive. The fewer clues to let folks know who you are, the better

The fear is getting identified if you say something offensive. The fewer clues to let folks know who you are, the better

If some troll is saying something inflammatory they should be outted (like what Curt schilling did to the Twitter trolls). But my point is I liked the posts of where peeps were heading to, but now it's like 15 posts.

My assumption is that as the match is more competitive, folks are less happy with where they matched (if they matched at all). These posts are biased towards people who are happy with where they matched. The only posts I've seen are of those who matched at their #1.

Last edited:
Our class was the strongest numbers-wise in the school's history, and the match was one of the weakest.

It was 65 before SOAP.

Looking at the match data that was released on the nrmp site, it shows that 11 programs were unfilled. So, does that mean that 11 programs had 65 spots open before soap?

My assumption is that as the match is more competitive, folks are less happy with where they matched (if they matched at all). These posts are also biased towards people who are happy with where they matched. The only posts I've seen are of those who matched at their #1.

This. At least for me. I guess at least I matched none the less my wife and I aren't in the same city now which really made me mad and depressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations to everyone who matched! I am a current 3rd year considering applying to anesthesia. It sounds like everyone here matched really well and at great programs. Any suggestions for a current student? Things you wish you knew or could have done differently? If you don't mind sharing stats/highlights of your applications to then know what is "expected" for these great programs I would really appreciate it. Congratulations again!

Our class was the strongest numbers-wise in the school's history, and the match was one of the weakest.

27b2d6ae87090da2834de16f1135d29af7a6cd2d.jpg

It is getting more competitive and harder to match in any specialty.

Congratulations to everyone who matched! I am a current 3rd year considering applying to anesthesia. It sounds like everyone here matched really well and at great programs. Any suggestions for a current student? Things you wish you knew or could have done differently? If you don't mind sharing stats/highlights of your applications to then know what is "expected" for these great programs I would really appreciate it. Congratulations again!

If applying to a geographical area you are not from do an away - or at least write PERSONAL personal statements for each program detailing why you are interested in them. Ie. if from North east and applying to California - write an additional paragraph saying why you want to move to cali and go to their program. I still did this and found a very hard time getting Cali interviews despite being top 1/3 of my class and have step 1 >250. No prob getting interviews in every other state though. I would not have sent so many post-interview emails to programs, and may have limited my thank yous. They are to make you feel good but do not change your ranking. And PDs get overwhelmed so I feel bad for them