Official 2015 DAT Changes from the ADA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ari Rezaei

Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
UPDATE 11/10/2014: The ADA posted a newsletter revealing changes in the 2015 DAT today:
http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Education and Careers/Files/dat_news_volume5_2014.ashx

Interesting notes: The newsletter says there will be changes in the biology and QR sections in 2015, contrary to what was previously published by the ADA. This is the most recent information published by the ADA and what we should go off of. Even more interesting, the newsletter says trigonometry, geometry, and conversions will remain in the QR section. Also, the fee to register to take the DAT will increase from $385 to $415.

Recommendations: If you're wondering if you should take any additional classes, I would recommend statistics, and cellular or molecular biology. A course in human physiology and genetics would help too. Even if the DAT doesn't change, these courses will help you better understand the material.

These changes are not dramatic, and there is no reason to be intimidated. The majority of the test has stayed the same, if anything they just removed two minor sections (cladistics and experimental embryology). It's nearly all the same material; as always, if you understand the material well enough to apply it, you'll do great!
___________Newsletter republished below_____________
2015 Changes to Quantitative Reasoning Test (QRT) Specifications

In order to enhance testing of critical thinking skills, the detailed
specifications of the Quantitative Reasoning Test (QRT) are being
changed as follows:

New: Data Analysis, Interpretation, and Sufficiency; and
Quantitative Comparison (includes, but is not limited to, conversions;
probability and statistics; geometry; and trigonometry)

The QRT will still contain 40 questions in total. These changes will
be implemented during Calendar Year 2015.

2015 Changes to Biology Test Specifications

The Biology specifications will change slightly in 2015 as follows:

New:
Biomolecules - within Cell and Molecular Biology
Relationships - within Diversity of Life

Experimental embryology will be removed from Developmental Biology.
Cladistics will be removed from Evolution, Ecology, and Behavior.

Biology will still contain 40 questions in total. These changes
will be implemented during Calendar Year 2015.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No reason to be intimidated except by that outrageous price!

Thanks for the update Ari!

Reactions: 2 users
By removing cladistics, does that mean we don't need to know about all the domains and kingdoms anymore? :D Would we need to know the difference between deuterostomes or protostomes? Also, what's considered as experimental embryology?

Sorry, I know you might not know the exact detail, but what would your best guesses be? :p

You definitely should still know that information, domains and kingdoms fall under Diversity of Life. Especially now that they added relationships, you have to know how they relate together. You still have to know common traits between organisms (which technically is cladistics-ish), so nothing really changes here. Perhaps you don't have to know about phylogenetic trees. Still, they didn't specify when in 2015 these changes are taking place, so you still need to know it for now.

You still need to know embryology cold as it's presented in AP Cliffs biology, it's an easy topic (at least at the level of the DAT) and covered under the scope of the exam. I'm not 100% sure what qualifies as experimental embryology vs. just embryology, so I would just study as we always have for now until we have more information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taxonomies are like taxes. Everyone hates them, but you gotta do 'em.

Last edited:
It's not too bad, really if you spend a day solely dedicated to it you should have most of it figured out. You definitely want to learn all of the animal phyla, the chapter in AP Cliffs does a good job, and Feralis' notes cover pretty much anything they can throw at you.

Also, the ADA got back to me and said there was a mistake in the newsletter, the QR section will continue to have 40 questions, I updated the original post.

Do you know when these changes will be into effect? I have my DAT scheduled for January 5th, 2015...

I asked the ADA about when the changes would take place, and they said there isn't a set date, but it's unlikely to be early in the year. Whether that means the first month or first 3 months, no one knows. More than likely they will slowly filter in the questions throughout the year. If you're taking it Jan 5th it's likely nothing will change. Even if there are changes, they appear to comprise of a very small portion of the test, and will likely not necessitate a change in preparation. Good luck studying, hope you rock it!

Ari what about the QR section it says "Data Analysis, Interpretation, and Sufficiency; and Quantitative Comparison". What's all these? Should I be okay if I follow chad and math destroyer?

Wow. Are you sure that it's accurate?
It's just taking additional classes, if not needed, takes lots of time and money. Are you sure it is better than just using Cliffs and Feralis?

Ari what about the QR section it says "Data Analysis, Interpretation, and Sufficiency; and Quantitative Comparison". What's all these? Should I be okay if I follow chad and math destroyer?
No one exactly knows yet what they mean specifically, but if I had to guess it would be more in-depth problems in statistics and drawing conclusions from data. The ADA has said students won't have to change the way they prepare, so I would not worry about it since it's out of our hands. Keep practicing with the materials you have and be sure you understand the probability and statistics problems.
Wow. Are you sure that it's accurate?
It's just taking additional classes, if not needed, takes lots of time and money. Are you sure it is better than just using Cliffs and Feralis?

That's a good question, and I still recommend classes over using just those resources, because the resources you listed are to be used as a review for the DAT; they're not meant to substitute college courses. I recommend getting a solid foundation and learning the material more in-depth before studying from scratch for the DAT. Statistics and genetics are very conceptual classes, it's not like memorizing a list of muscles in anatomy where any book will do. I think for many students it helps more to take a class in a controlled learning environment than self-studying. Statistics in general is helpful for no matter what you do, and given the recent responses from the ADA, I think it's clear students would benefit from a course in statistics. Lastly, if you look at the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools, many of them recommend completing higher-level coursework in the sciences, so it helps with applications as well.

No one exactly knows yet what they mean specifically, but if I had to guess it would be more in-depth problems in statistics and drawing conclusions from data. The ADA has said students won't have to change the way they prepare, so I would not worry about it since it's out of our hands. Keep practicing with the materials you have and be sure you understand the probability and statistics problems.

That's a good question, and I still recommend classes over using just those resources, because the resources you listed are to be used as a review for the DAT; they're not meant to substitute college courses. I recommend getting a solid foundation and learning the material more in-depth before studying from scratch for the DAT. Statistics and genetics are very conceptual classes, it's not like memorizing a list of muscles in anatomy where any book will do. I think for many students it helps more to take a class in a controlled learning environment than self-studying. Statistics in general is helpful for no matter what you do, and given the recent responses from the ADA, I think it's clear students would benefit from a course in statistics. Lastly, if you look at the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools, many of them recommend completing higher-level coursework in the sciences, so it helps with applications as well.
Thanks. Are you also an advisor for Dental students? Do you happen to know what scores are schools looking for?

Thanks. Are you also an advisor for Dental students? Do you happen to know what scores are schools looking for?
Get a 30 and you'll be fine. Most people get in with 30's so I'm sure you will. Jk, get a 19 and you'll get interviews depending on your GPA, get a 20 and you'll get more interviews. The main problem, in my opinion, is knowing where to apply and which schools to choose. Had I known two of the schools I applied to would not interview me, although im well above their average DAT and GPA and other people with lower stats and Extra curriculars got interviews, because they knew I'd get interviewed by my state school, I would not have wasted my money. I only applied to 6 schools and could have saved 300+ had I not applied to those two schools, but whatever. Good luck pimp

So.. There will be no change till Jan 1st 2015? My DAT is scheduled on late December....

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah if you want more info on the scores schools are looking for, I think the best place to look would be the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools, they list the average and range of DAT scores they recently accepted. Some schools do look for higher DAT scores, like Harvard had an average of 23AA when I was applying, and other's have an average of ~19AA. The national average is now a little over 19AA, so you want to try to score a 20AA, although this is just an average and students with lower scores do get accepted as well. The DAT is just part of your application, you can't neglect your GPA or extra-curriculars.
Get a 30 and you'll be fine. Most people get in with 30's so I'm sure you will. Jk, get a 19 and you'll get interviews depending on your GPA, get a 20 and you'll get more interviews. The main problem, in my opinion, is knowing where to apply and which schools to choose. Had I known two of the schools I applied to would not interview me, although im well above their average DAT and GPA and other people with lower stats and Extra curriculars got interviews, because they knew I'd get interviewed by my state school, I would not have wasted my money. I only applied to 6 schools and could have saved 300+ had I not applied to those two schools, but whatever. Good luck pimp
I agree with this 100%, just because you get a high DAT score doesn't mean everyone is going to want to interview you. Every school is looking for something different, so just try to score as best as you can and be sure you apply to schools that accept students from your state (the ADEA Guide has a list so you can see if students get accepted from your state).
So.. There will be no change till Jan 1st 2015? My DAT is scheduled on late December....
Reposting what I wrote above, I asked the ADA about when the changes would take place, and they said there isn't a set date, but it's unlikely to be early in the year. Whether that means the first month or first 3 months, no one knows. More than likely they will slowly filter in the questions throughout the year. If you're taking it Jan 2015 it's likely nothing will change. Since you're taking it in December, it's very likely nothing will change since the ADA said the changes will happen in 2015. Even if there are changes, they appear to comprise of a very small portion of the test, and will likely not necessitate a change in preparation. Good luck studying!

I asked the ADA about when the changes would take place, and they said there isn't a set date, but it's unlikely to be early in the year. Whether that means the first month or first 3 months, no one knows. More than likely they will slowly filter in the questions throughout the year. If you're taking it Jan 5th it's likely nothing will change. Even if there are changes, they appear to comprise of a very small portion of the test, and will likely not necessitate a change in preparation. Good luck studying, hope you rock it!
Awesome. I figured that'd be more likely since it's the first week of the new year. Thanks man!!

I actually like the idea of systems biology, as it really does reflect the way curricula is moving in colleges. I hope its instituted by the time I write the DAT :rolleyes:

Awesome. I figured that'd be more likely since it's the first week of the new year. Thanks man!!
No problem, good luck!
I actually like the idea of systems biology, as it really does reflect the way curricula is moving in colleges. I hope its instituted by the time I write the DAT :rolleyes:
Definitely, I think systems biology is the way to go and more applicable to the future. They didn't announce any changes in style yet for this upcoming year, just an update in the scope of the exam, so for now we still have to assume the test is the same and prepare the same way.

I read on the ADA site that each test item - after it goes through the process of creation, review, pretest, analysis, etc. - has an estimated value of $1000. So really, you're taking a $280,000 exam for the low price of $415. Not sure if this makes you feel better, but I thought it was a pretty neat fact.

Reactions: 1 users