Official 2015 Rank Order List and "Help me rank" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I love Pitt. Great program. You could do a lot worse than get trained at WPIC. Pittsburgh is a great town to live in too. Low cost of living and still with lots of culture and things to do. Beautiful landscape. Lots of outdoorsy stuff if you're into that.
Agreed. Pitt is an absolutely incredible program that in my mind could be argued as best in the country. It's number two for me only because of my number one edging it out personally due to family location.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Seriously, Hughlings Jackson, Paul Broca, Carl Wernicke, Jean-Martin Charcot, Pierre Marie, Norm Geschwind etc would be absolutely irate that people so unqualified are allowed to "practice" neurology!

Deeply tangential to the rest of the thread, I realize, but I had to point out that Paul Broca was a surgeon who just happened to have an interest in anthropology and heard about Monsieur Leborgne aka "Tan" from somebody else and thought it would be interesting to do an autopsy. He was not someone who had any great or special training in anything resembling neurology previous to that, so I am not sure he is a great example of needing to be eminently qualified to do good work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. Pitt is an absolutely incredible program that in my mind could be argued as best in the country. It's number two for me only because of my number one edging it out personally only due to family location.

Let's not get carried away here...

Beth Israel vs. LIJ ?

For what its worth, I met both PDs and found them both to be approachable. Neither are incredibly touchy-feely, so I see why you might have got an unapproachable vibe.

As for your pro/cons list, the salaries are not all that different, although I was only able to find BI salaries for 2013 on their web site. Comparing 2013 salaries, LIJ was 3.5k more PGY1 and then converged with BI. Things might have changed however. LIJ now starts at 67k with a 2k+1.5k COL bump every year. If you have updated salary info for BI, please post. I know I would be interested. The availability of moonlighting however, seems vastly different at the two programs, with BI not being particularly supportive of it, and LIJ seeming to have many different options and to let you do it as soon as you have a license. That might make a bigger difference in your standard of living then a 5 or 10k difference in salary.

As for the medicine months, my understanding is that they both have 4 months, but at BI one month is FM, and at LIJ 1 month is exclusively medicine consults to the psych hospital. Both let you substitute peds for some or all of the inpt med. You do neuro 2nd year at BI, as opposed to most programs were you do med and neuro in 1st yr, if not in the first 6 months.

Thank you for the reply, do you have any opinions on "better work/life balance, lesser scut work, less call/workload" for these programs, I'm having a hard time figuring out which one is more work heavy. The residents at both stated that they are more of a "service" program but that could be just an opinion and doesn't exactly help differentiate between the two. Also one might be more call heavy but during call it might be a lighter load or might have more support.

I think my final top programs are:
CCF
BU
Emory
Rush
OSU
Temple
Case
Einstein-Montefiore

But no idea how to rank them...Of the programs I listed, does anyone have strong opinions (positive or negative) about any of them?

I am a PGY3 and have not applied for attending positions yet so take this with a grain of salt, but I think performing well at Yale, Penn, UCSF or Stanford would set you up for an NYC or Boston academic job. What would set you up better, though, would be a residency in NYC or Boston.

Does anyone who has gone through the job search process (particularly in academics) have further comment? How (im)possible is it to find an academic position in a psych-heavy city like NYC or Boston if you've trained out of town, but at a strong program like Yale?

I think my final top programs are:
CCF
BU
Emory
Rush
OSU
Temple
Case
Einstein-Montefiore

But no idea how to rank them...Of the programs I listed, does anyone have strong opinions (positive or negative) about any of them?

I would start with location, the weather conditions are very different between places like Emory (Atlanta is very warm) and Case (Cleveland is very cold). Most people would probably say Emory is one of the top in terms of prestige, if you care about that. I didn't apply to either of them because my location choice was dictated by my significant others' job, but I would probably place Emory at the top based on combo of warm climate plus prestige, plus cosmopolitan big city.

Thank you for the reply, do you have any opinions on "better work/life balance, lesser scut work, less call/workload" for these programs, I'm having a hard time figuring out which one is more work heavy. The residents at both stated that they are more of a "service" program but that could be just an opinion and doesn't exactly help differentiate between the two. Also one might be more call heavy but during call it might be a lighter load or might have more support.

When you look at the schedule for BI...its only 4 weeks of night float and Q10 (short call) during 2nd year. No call 3rd yr and 4th year I believe. I was told by some residents that you work real hard at the program, but to me this schedule seems very light. I couldn't find what the salary looks like here. Subsidized housing is pretty much a guarantee?

For LIJ, is it just 4 weeks of night float during 2nd year? Obviously the salary is really strong here. High likelihood of subsidized housing here as well.

Both programs seem to be pretty similar, I'm not sure who gets the edge in terms of research opportunities.

The workload element is hard to quantify... I got the impression that both are in the midrange for NYC programs, with LIJ being lightly more on the life side of work/life balance overall. Considering doing something you enjoy probably counts more then a slight difference in hours, your PGY2 year might be better at BI if you love inpt substance abuse. PGY3 seemed to be very well run at both places. Call PGY1 at BI is 1 month NF and around 4 short calls/month. At LIJ its 3 short calls/month and 1 weekend day/month, with no NF. PGY2 at BI is 1 month NF and q.10 shortcall. No one seems to know what the call situation will be PGY2 at LIJ because they are revamping it for the new class size, but it look like it will involve 1 month NF and then some number of weekend shifts. PGY3 at BI seems to be either 7-8 days of NF or weekend shifts. The PD at LIJ said there would likely be no call PGY3.

The workload element is hard to quantify... I got the impression that both are in the midrange for NYC programs, with LIJ being lightly more on the life side of work/life balance overall. Considering doing something you enjoy probably counts more then a slight difference in hours, your PGY2 year might be better at BI if you love inpt substance abuse. PGY3 seemed to be very well run at both places. Call PGY1 at BI is 1 month NF and around 4 short calls/month. At LIJ its 3 short calls/month and 1 weekend day/month, with no NF. PGY2 at BI is 1 month NF and q.10 shortcall. No one seems to know what the call situation will be PGY2 at LIJ because they are revamping it for the new class size, but it look like it will involve 1 month NF and then some number of weekend shifts. PGY3 at BI seems to be either 7-8 days of NF or weekend shifts. The PD at LIJ said there would likely be no call PGY3.

Do you know what the salary is like at BI?

Does anyone who has gone through the job search process (particularly in academics) have further comment? How (im)possible is it to find an academic position in a psych-heavy city like NYC or Boston if you've trained out of town, but at a strong program like Yale?

One of our graduates (Yale) from last year has a job at Mt Sinai, another child fellow I know got a job at UCSF. Clearly doable, not sure how difficult this was.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think it's possible, but in general wages are going to be depressed the more desirable you get. The trend for the senior residents I've been working with here in Chicago has been to shun the academic positions because the private and VA jobs in the city quite simply pay better unless you've got some research money coming in.

Hey everyone, hope all is well. I have my top 4 figured out but I am really struggling with 5 and after. Hope to do Child Psych, possibly academics, but would like a happy program, supportive faculty and strong psychotherapy training. No ties except husband who can move to any of these places.

Univ of Pittsburgh (resident told me therapy and patient diversity isn't a strongsuit)
Cal Pacific (told one of the strongest psychotherapy training on west coast, but will this impede me in the future being a community program?)
UC San Diego (seems very VA heavy, lots of call, and few elective opportunities in 4th year)
Harbor-UCLA (great that 50% PGY2 is outpatient, but didn't connect with PD as well or the residents, patient diversity solely county and weak Child)
Univ of Colorado (great on paper but really worried about the not so warm feel of the program and what has been said on SDN)

Thank you in advance for any insight.

There's like zero chance you're going to match at #5, especially as these programs indicate that you're likely a pretty strong candidate. Line them up based on location or general vibe. It really doesn't matter. Or pick your least favorite and go backwards -- sometimes it's easier to figure out what you like the least rather than what you like the most.

i have no idea how to pick btw UTSW and Brown. Brown = providence = small town (not my thing), but research powerhouse (tho, not necessarily in schizophrenia, which is my main interest).

UTSW= dallas, which is a pretty nice city, but far away from home. Definitely a strong research reputation (tamminga is a schizophrenia world expert).

I think the call schedules/salaries/moonlighting opportunities are probably pretty comparable. I should just flip a coin.

Harbor-UCLA ended up climbing my list much higher than I thought, mostly due to my fiancé.

I really liked the program and I DO like the county program but I get nervous that you ONLY see a county program. Any thoughts about this? I know people have talked a lot about the Cali programs, but this is one of my big worries.

Thanks!

Good luck to everybody as the deadline approaches. And everybody should rank my favorite program #1!

Hey everybody;
It is location location, fiancé, location. Other than that make sure it isn’t a completely lame training program. Most are not. 1, 2, and maybe 3 matter, 6,7,8 probably not. Best of luck everyone. Most of you will be fine. This will be you: :soexcited:

Hey everyone, hope all is well. I have my top 4 figured out but I am really struggling with 5 and after. Hope to do Child Psych, possibly academics, but would like a happy program, supportive faculty and strong psychotherapy training. No ties except husband who can move to any of these places.

Univ of Pittsburgh (resident told me therapy and patient diversity isn't a strongsuit)
Cal Pacific (told one of the strongest psychotherapy training on west coast, but will this impede me in the future being a community program?)
UC San Diego (seems very VA heavy, lots of call, and few elective opportunities in 4th year)
Harbor-UCLA (great that 50% PGY2 is outpatient, but didn't connect with PD as well or the residents, patient diversity solely county and weak Child)
Univ of Colorado (great on paper but really worried about the not so warm feel of the program and what has been said on SDN)

Thank you in advance for any insight.

FWIW, I spent a significant amount of time talking with my mentor with respect to the community vs. academic program issue. The program I will be ranking #2 is a community program that I really enjoyed, so that was the impetus of the conversation.

He admits that he's biased towards academic programs. Accurate or not, he believes in the notion that academic programs as a general rule provide a richer training experience. That said, your goals play a huge role in what you should be looking at. I have no interest in being in academia beyond possibly teaching in the clinical realm, so he said that for me a community vs. academic experience likely won't matter that much. If you have a strong interest in academics, particularly at an institution that has a "reputation," then an academic program wins every time.

Another attending I spoke with said that community programs, assuming they're decent, generally have a positive reputation within a certain region. His advice was that if I had any interest in moving after residency to avoid a community program as his thinking was that a national job search can be more difficult when coming from a community rather than academic program. If you think it's highly likely that you'd like to remain that area, though, then this is less of a concern.

That's my $0.02. And, obviously, YMMV as these opinions are from two attendings that currently work in the academic setting and have a strong interest in academics.

Reactions: 1 user
...Another attending I spoke with said that community programs, assuming they're decent, generally have a positive reputation within a certain region. His advice was that if I had any interest in moving after residency to avoid a community program as his thinking was that a national job search can be more difficult when coming from a community rather than academic program. If you think it's highly likely that you'd like to remain that area, though, then this is less of a concern...

I've actually seen the opposite. The several residents I know who came from two community programs in California got strong offers in the Midwest and East Coast, secured before they got their feet out the door. Maybe the two programs are especially strong and well-known nationally, so maybe if you're talking about a Joe Shmo community program in the middle of no-where it could be true.

Last edited:
I've actually seen the opposite. The several residents I know who came from two community programs in California got strong offers in the Midwest and East Coast, secured before they got their feet out the door. Maybe the two programs are especially strong and well-known nationally, so maybe if you took your Joe Shmo community program in the middle of no-where it could be true.

Yeah - obviously as an M4 I have no idea how accurate the information they shared was. On its face, though, it makes sense. But I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions.

Thankfully both seem like great programs, that's why it's so hard to pick and why I have to look at little details like workload and stuff. Any thoughts on how nice and approachable the residents or attendings are at either place?

BI salary according to their online data is ....

pgy1: 60,629
Pgy2: 64,602
PGY3: 68,439
Pgy4: 70,974

I assumed they increased the salaries from those 2013 figures but just never updated their GME web site... but maybe not.

For a low/no overnight call program: UCSF Fresno VS Staten Island, which recently has been acquired by North Shore LIJ and is known henceforth as "North Shore LIJ - Staten Island." Initially I was reluctant to consider SIUH. Does the new affiliation bode better for future job opportunities? I'm looking to eventually practice in California or New York.

Last edited:
Thankfully both seem like great programs, that's why it's so hard to pick and why I have to look at little details like workload and stuff. Any thoughts on how nice and approachable the residents or attendings are at either place?

Can't help you there... I found the residents to be very friendly and approachabe at both places. The attendings I met were likewise pretty impressive but friendly. Do you have any ideas of areas you want to explore in psychiatry? BI has a very well respected substance abuse program, and you spend a lot of time in it second year. They don't have a peds or neuro residency though. Are you interested in ECT? LIJ does a huge volume. CAP? Inpt child at all the Sinai programs are consolidating at SLR. LIJ has a children's hospital with a pediatric psych ED as well as a child inpt unit. Its also one of the few places around NY were you can get eating disorder exposure. Both have no problems with fast tracking (no program I interviewed at did, but it was a constant question among applicants). Do you own a car? Do you want to? LIJ would probably require one. Neither have state, VA, or forensics experiences/fellowships.

Did you get a gut feeling at all visiting? I would say go with that. My gut about BI was that it had amazing addiction, a great location, and nice housing. Its unclear how the acquisition by Sinai will effect things over the next four years. My guess is that over the next four years, the primary change will be in expanding the number of electives available in fourth year, and probably some research opportunities. LIJ felt like a much larger place, with more availability outside the core rotations everyone has (ECT, tele psych, peds psychED, specialized units for first break, women, affective d/o). The inpt facilities are amazing, and I really liked the idea of a psych campus. It just seemed like a nice place to go to work every day. Getting to work is another story. While a lot of the residents seem to live in Queens or Brooklyn or Manhattan, it won't be the quick walk or subway ride BI would be. The sense I got was that BI was more of a community program with an academic flavor, while LIJ was more of an academic program with a community flavor.

Harbor-UCLA ended up climbing my list much higher than I thought, mostly due to my fiancé.

I really liked the program and I DO like the county program but I get nervous that you ONLY see a county program. Any thoughts about this? I know people have talked a lot about the Cali programs, but this is one of my big worries.

Thanks!

County, VA, State hospital, tertiary referral center? I have my own bias, but what is your nirvana look like?

I've been struggling for a while so figured I might try to get a bit of outside help. I think someone else was asking about longwood vs brown, but I would love more opinions. I was SUPER excited about Longwood on my interview day but work life balance is very important to me and the call/workload burden is definitely heavier there. I have a big interest in women's Mental health and thought Brigham and Women's was so amazing and comprehensive (probably the best women's mh opportunities on my interview trail) , but Brown also has great perinatal resources and I would be able to pursue that interest there too. But Boston >> Providence. I literally change the order every 30 mins.

Apart from speaking about the two programs, did anyone else struggle with similar issues and/or have advice as to which factors actually contributed to their happiness as residents?

Do you know what the salary is like at BI?

I am familiar with both programs and also friends w residents at both programs.
The salary at BI starts at 60 vs LIJ which starts at 67k

In regards to the workload (scut and calls), it seems that LIJ is on the lighter side vs BI

I've been struggling for a while so figured I might try to get a bit of outside help. I think someone else was asking about longwood vs brown, but I would love more opinions. I was SUPER excited about Longwood on my interview day but work life balance is very important to me and the call/workload burden is definitely heavier there. I have a big interest in women's Mental health and thought Brigham and Women's was so amazing and comprehensive (probably the best women's mh opportunities on my interview trail) , but Brown also has great perinatal resources and I would be able to pursue that interest there too. But Boston >> Providence. I literally change the order every 30 mins.

Apart from speaking about the two programs, did anyone else struggle with similar issues and/or have advice as to which factors actually contributed to their happiness as residents?

Providence is great. Plus if you feel a burning desire to be in Boston, hop a train. You'll be there in an hour. Having the time to do things like that is important.

You can do electives at UCLA NPI, primarily as a PGY-4.

If you love county, it's hard to beat Harbor, but a big majority of your time will be training at the count hospital, working with county populations. That's the program's strength. If that's not something that's a strong interest, it rapidly becomes less interesting.

But it sounds like you like the county vibe and caring for the underserved. You can always build up skills working in tertiary care centers and with more affluent/private populations via moonlighting and electives.

If work/life balance is any consideration of yours, then Brown has to be the easy choice. Their hours are amazing and if you feel you need to work more to see more stuff you can do it moonlighting at the same hospitals you rotate in and make over a hundred an hour doing it.

Longwood on the other hand, I think dr Sams said "strenuous" (or was it rigorous?) about 3 times during her intro talk.

Providence is great. Plus if you feel a burning desire to be in Boston, hop a train. You'll be there in an hour. Having the time to do things like that is important.

If work/life balance is any consideration of yours, then Brown has to be the easy choice. Their hours are amazing and if you feel you need to work more to see more stuff you can do it moonlighting at the same hospitals you rotate in and make over a hundred an hour doing it.

Longwood on the other hand, I think dr Sams said "strenuous" (or was it rigorous?) about 3 times during her intro talk.

Thank you for your input! I've definitely gained clarity for my rankings! So exciting and satisfying to certify the ROL!

Is it just me, or is anyone else actually excited for the 25th just so we have no ability to overanalyze these re-rankings anymore? ;)

N of 1 and all that, but with the exception of parts of first year (mostly during medicine), I've managed to continue my biggest hobby (softball) throughout residency. I've been on 3 teams at a time playing anywhere from 3 to 6 games a week (while also travelling to visit my family and maintaining a relationship) and it's never felt particularly hard to balance work with life. I might have had to miss a few games because of call, but I think the bottom line is that if you want to prioritize things, you can certainly maintain outside hobbies and interests while in this program.

No idea about what that's like at Brown though, so I can only speak for my experience at Longwood.

Agreed. Pitt is an absolutely incredible program that in my mind could be argued as best in the country. It's number two for me only because of my number one edging it out personally only due to family location.

Let's not get carried away here...

keep-calm-and-hail-to-pitt-14.png

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about it. County people and rich people get depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, eating disorders, bipolar disorder, etc. The big difference is probably a matter of resources. But your gaining the clinical knowledge and skills to treat these disorders won't be compromised because one group has fewer resources than another. In fact, county folks often have more severe forms of these disorders because unfortunately they tend to get care at more advanced stages (due to forces in and out of their control). So you may learn more at a county hospital.

Something to think about.

Is it just me, or is anyone else actually excited for the 25th just so we have no ability to overanalyze these re-rankings anymore? ;)
Yeah, I felt that way 730 days ago.

If you like the program, your gut check says it's a good fit for you, then that's terrific. Go with that.
You will get great training there. I have an anecdote for you. I was at a regional career building convention with residents in southern California, with recruiters there. When the Harbor UCLA resident stood up and said where she was training, recruiters flocked to her. They didn't quite do that with other residents there. I asked why that happened and one recruiter said they think Harbor residents can handle anything. So don't worry about going there is all I'm saying.

If you like the program, your gut check says it's a good fit for you, then that's terrific. Go with that.
I agree with that in principle, but when I was in this position 2 years ago, my thought was "but there are several programs that felt like a good fit, and I don't know which one to rank #2 and which one to rank #3 and which one to rank #7." Everybody said that it doesn't really matter because you'll probably match at your #1, but you still have to make the decision and you can't just do it by throwing darts at a board.

Wow, I can't believe it's been 4 years since I've posted...

I need help. I've had a great interview season with 12 interviews that I am having trouble with the top five. So here it goes:

CPMC
U of Chicago
U of Colorado
UTexas/Dell Austin
Vanderbilt

I like to think of myself as scrappy so when I have the opportunity to go to the best school, I TAKE IT. However, I've become more concerned about my happiness as a whole and I want a diverse city, a bit rough around the edges, where I can continue to play music as a hobby (please don't tell me to quit my hobby). I'm essentially flip-flopping back and forth with the rank considering the reputation, the fabulousness of the city, and the music scene. I just want to know I'm not crazy, which is appropriate considering the thread. Thank you, comrades in psychiatry!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I definitely plan to do a fellowship, perhaps forensics, but have an open mind.

Can't/won't comment on the city and music scene aspects. With respects to program quality: I would probably put Vanderbilt as #1 of that list. There is a new chair there and he is bringing in a lot of new people to strengthen the place. U Chicago is a decent program and would probably put it down as #2 followed by UT-Austin, which is a younger program and growing/strengthening nicely. I would then probably say UColo and then CPMC.

I've been going back and forth between my top three for the past few weeks. I'm at my wit's end. I would really really really appreciate any guidance or opinions you guys could offer.

1) Penn/Brown 3) Yale

I was not impressed by New Haven and I'm pretty confident that my dislike of the place was enough to keep it at three. It's an incredible program, though. I had a good vibe from the Penn day and a mixed impression of Philadelphia, however, it is the closest program to friends/family. I'm not sure if I can handle a medium-big city program, though - the thought of philly traffic, crime, etc kind of worries me. But with Brown, the program I felt very good about during my day, the location also makes me unsure because of the freezing cold (I like the snow in smaller doses) and the small city (worried about dating scene/things to do). I would deeply appreciate any help. Good luck to everyone!!

I've been going back and forth between my top three for the past few weeks. I'm at my wit's end. I would really really really appreciate any guidance or opinions you guys could offer.

1) Penn/Brown 3) Yale

I was not impressed by New Haven and I'm pretty confident that my dislike of the place was enough to keep it at three. It's an incredible program, though. I had a good vibe from the Penn day and a mixed impression of Philadelphia, however, it is the closest program to friends/family. I'm not sure if I can handle a medium-big city program, though - the thought of philly traffic, crime, etc kind of worries me. But with Brown, the program I felt very good about during my day, the location also makes me unsure because of the freezing cold (I like the snow in smaller doses) and the small city (worried about dating scene/things to do). I would deeply appreciate any help. Good luck to everyone!!

So... you are not sure if you can handle medium-big city, but also worried about small city. And New Haven was not impressive. So what kind of location DO you like? What are the positive aspects of your interested programs?