Official 2015 Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slappy

Neuropsychiatrist
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats everyone on completing all the hard stuff, including finalizing your ROL. Keeping up with the tradition on SDN, go ahead and post your final rank list here. Lets see what you got!

P.S. If you can, also explain why you ranked the programs the way you did. That always makes for some interesting reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations everyone!

My rankings were primarily based on helping me achieve my long-term goals, including strong clinical training in chronic mood and psychotic disorders and an abundance of potential research mentorship. Eventually want to pursue a child and adolescent fellowship and hopefully a career in academic medicine, exploring the basic science of my above mentioned clinical interests.

1. Yale
2. Pitt/WPIC
3. Vanderbilt
4. Hopkins
5. UCSF
6. Colorado
7. Emory
8. Harvard-Longwood
9. WashU
10. UNC
11. MUSC
12. UVA
13. Ohio State

Here's to hoping everyone gets their #1 :banana:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
^ I must admit, that is one interesting rank list.

Well I'm always glad to see other people who took into account other considerations before location - reassures me I wasn't the only one! As to the specifics of the list - I guess Vanderbilt seems high and Longwood seems low, but that seems a minor quibble, list looks pretty darn good otherwise...

Main consideration = Location. All programs seemed to have good qualities to them except for maybe Loma Linda which was weird. After location was considered, went with what I felt was best fit for my personality and personal goals as well as the vibe I got on interview day.
1. UC Irvine
2. UC Davis
3. USC
4. UCLA harbor
5. UCSF Fresno
6. UCLA SFV
7. CPMC
8. Loma Linda
9. Home school - not in California ;)

Last edited:
I really hate to ask this, but I am having major second thoughts about my rank list. If I match at a place that proves to not be a good fit, how easy is it to go somewhere else?

1) Stanford
2) Yale
3) program near home

I interviewed and ranked about 6 other places, but love my "home" program so if one of the above doesn't work I'll be super excited to head home and start settling down for the long run.

In general I assumed all "top tier" programs were going to give great training, I also didn't want to live in the heart of a big city so that knocked out several places I otherwise would have considered. After that, I only applied to programs everyone would agree are pretty high caliber so at that point lifestyle and friendliness of residents/faculty were my primary concerns.

Both at stanford and yale the residents seemed very, very happy and have tons of flexibility throughout training. In the end, Palo Alto beat out newhaven, but I actually really liked new haven, seemed like easy place to live with good food and an hour train from big cities.

Stanford's internship seemed a little more chill than most as well which doesn't hurt.

Yale's salary to cost of living ratio is off the charts, which in addition to being able to go on swanky vacations during time off, it makes you feel valued by the program.

Will be happy at any of my top-3, stanford over yale was tough, but I love the outdoors so the Bay Area is probably the premier place for me to live. I think Brown gets honorable mention, seemed like an awesome program and almost snuck over "home".

1) Stanford
2) Yale
3) program near home

I interviewed and ranked about 6 other places, but love my "home" program so if one of the above doesn't work I'll be super excited to head home and start settling down for the long run.

In general I assumed all "top tier" programs were going to give great training, I also didn't want to live in the heart of a big city so that knocked out several places I otherwise would have considered. After that, I only applied to programs everyone would agree are pretty high caliber so at that point lifestyle and friendliness of residents/faculty were my primary concerns.

Both at stanford and yale the residents seemed very, very happy and have tons of flexibility throughout training. In the end, Palo Alto beat out newhaven, but I actually really liked new haven, seemed like easy place to live with good food and an hour train from big cities.

Stanford's internship seemed a little more chill than most as well which doesn't hurt.

Yale's salary to cost of living ratio is off the charts, which in addition to being able to go on swanky vacations during time off, it makes you feel valued by the program.

Will be happy at any of my top-3, stanford over yale was tough, but I love the outdoors so the Bay Area is probably the premier place for me to live. I think Brown gets honorable mention, seemed like an awesome program and almost snuck over "home".

Well done - your reasoning seems very sound, I am sure you will be happy no matter what!

Well I'm always glad to see other people who took into account other considerations before location - reassures me I wasn't the only one! As to the specifics of the list - I guess Vanderbilt seems high and Longwood seems low, but that seems a minor quibble, list looks pretty darn good otherwise...

Oh come on. Yale over UCSF, Harvard-Longwood, WPIC, MUSC, UNC? Hopkins over UCSF, Harvard-Longwood, MUSC? Emory over Harvard-Longwood? WashU over MUSC and UNC? You're clearly biased towards your program, SmallBird! :)

Anyway, here's mine:
1. MGH/McLean
2. Columbia
3. Cornell
4. UCLA
5. UCSF
6. Longwood
7. Cambridge
8. UCSD
9. WPIC
10. Penn
11. NYU
12. MUSC
13. UMich
14. MCW
15. Northwestern
16. UW-Seattle
17. UTSW-Dallas
18. Yale
19. Brown
20. UNC
21. MSSM

It was a fun interview season. But I'm glad its over! Match day can't come soon enough. Good luck everyone. :)

Oh come on. Yale over UCSF, Harvard-Longwood, WPIC, MUSC, UNC? Hopkins over UCSF, Harvard-Longwood, MUSC? Emory over Harvard-Longwood? WashU over MUSC and UNC? You're clearly biased towards your program, SmallBird! :)

Anyway, here's mine:
1. MGH/McLean
2. Columbia
3. Cornell
4. UCLA
5. UCSF
6. Longwood
7. Cambridge
8. UCSD
9. WPIC
10. Penn
11. NYU
12. MUSC
13. UMich
14. MCW
15. Northwestern
16. UW-Seattle
17. UTSW-Dallas
18. Yale
19. Brown
20. UNC
21. MSSM

It was a fun interview season. But I'm glad its over! Match day can't come soon enough. Good luck everyone. :)
Umm..yeah at 21 interviews (assuming you ranked all) I'd be glad to be done also.

Members don't see this ad :)

Anyway, here's mine:
1. MGH/McLean
2. Columbia
3. Cornell
4. UCLA
5. UCSF
6. Longwood
7. Cambridge
8. UCSD
9. WPIC
10. Penn
11. NYU
12. MUSC
13. UMich
14. MCW
15. Northwestern
16. UW-Seattle
17. UTSW-Dallas
18. Yale
19. Brown
20. UNC
21. MSSM

I am very biased towards Yale, as well, but I also ranked it higher than ucsf, wpic, mgh, and longwood :D. All amazing places; you will be getting a stellar training at any of them! Best of luck!!! Sigh...So much nostalgia.

Yale
Brown
Mssm
Upenn
Umass
Longwood
Uvm
Dartmouth
Mmc
Hss
Tufts

I wanted good research opportunities in a warm supportive community since I'm interested in research and a career in academic psychiatry. Work life balance was also important. I'm limited to the northeast and went back and forth btwn Yale and brown and would be thrilled with either. Yale, brown, penn and uvm had the happiest residents.

I really hate to ask this, but I am having major second thoughts about my rank list. If I match at a place that proves to not be a good fit, how easy is it to go somewhere else?
It's very doable, providing you don't care which program or where. There are always some PGY-2 slots opening at various programs. The challenge is going to be finding ones you like.

Odds are very good that you will end up happier where you end up than by switching. You had a reason for the rank list you made. The odds of you being happier at a completely random program is more remote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. I would be fine with getting my first choice, but I'm not sure how happy I would be at my 2nd choice-so fingers crossed, I guess.

It's funny (and annoying) how some things become so clear and obvious only after the rank list deadline passes....

Thanks for the response. I would be fine with getting my first choice, but I'm not sure how happy I would be at my 2nd choice-so fingers crossed, I guess.

It's funny (and annoying) how some things become so clear and obvious only after the rank list deadline passes....

Surely there's a reason you put it second? It sounds like you're just getting cold feet. Remember all the things you liked about it.

Surely there's a reason you put it second? It sounds like you're just getting cold feet. Remember all the things you liked about it.

I realized early this morning that I put the program second due to fear, not because I wanted to go there.

Anyway, here's mine:
1. MGH/McLean
2. Columbia
3. Cornell
4. UCLA
5. UCSF
6. Longwood
7. Cambridge
8. UCSD
9. WPIC
10. Penn
11. NYU
12. MUSC
13. UMich
14. MCW
15. Northwestern
16. UW-Seattle
17. UTSW-Dallas
18. Yale
19. Brown
20. UNC
21. MSSM

Obviously some degree of subjectivity and personal bias goes into these things. While clinical, research training, and largely the program itself went into my decision process, some of my choices were also based on geographic location, instinct/gut feeling, and/or personal connections at some of these programs. Not all my choices may seem to make sense to you and the same could be true from my perspective for you. At any rate, you have a nice list @schwartz ! Hope you end up at MGH :)

Reactions: 1 users
I guess fear of going somewhere brand new

All sorts of things went into my list and application process, and I'm very happy with how things turned out. I was looking for...a strong feel of 'community' among residents and faculty, great opportunities in academic medicine, somewhere that values teaching residents and medical students, a location that I could see myself living for 10+ years, and somewhere where family members aren't too far. It was such an honor to interview this season; such a unique opportunity to meet so many psychiatrists and residents one-on-one, amazing folks that will one day be our colleagues! Looking forward to my training, wherever it may be; medical school has been challenging but rewarding, and I expect residency to be no different!

Last edited:
Here's my rank list:
1. MCW
2. UW Madison
3. UMich
4. Iowa
5. Indiana
6. UIC
7. Rush
8. Loyola
9. Rosalind
10. Mich State

Obviously, location was a huge factor for me (all of my family and my husband's family lives near Chicago and with a 7 month old, it's extremely important for us to live near family). Other than that, I tried to choose programs that had a child fellowship, were family friendly/located in family friendly neighborhoods, had happy residents, decent research opportunities, and a relatively low cost of living.

rank list:

1) Yale (one of the best psych departments in the country, new haven not a great city, but the the quality of the program overcomes this factor, good lifestyle program, great salary, solid moonlighting opportunities, elite research opportunities= no brainer for me)
2) Brown (research powerhouse, providence is an OK city, PD was one of my favorites)
3) UTSW ( great research, dallas is a great city, residents seemed smart, and PD was nice)
4) Mt Sinai Beth Israel (clinically heavy program, great location in NYC, nice subsidized housing available, greater collaboration with Mt Sinai Main campus for 4th yr electives and should have the opportunity to work with research faculty)
5) Northshore-LIJ ( only because of the salary,otherwise I would have ranked MUSC over this program, which IMO MUSC has better location, better research/educational opportunities)
6) MUSC
7) UMaryland (Really liked the new chair here, they are building a new neuroscience research building and the chair wants to establish an PhD program that can be finished with 6 years of residency. Known to be a workhorse program. Baltimore is an OK city. Sheppard pratt is nice, but far away from the UM campus)
8) Jefferson (Might have the nicest facilities of all the programs I interviewed at, but this is strictly a clinical program. There isn't much in the way of research here, which is why i ranked it low)
9) Indiana ( very nice resources here, just couldn't live in Indy)
10) Hartford Hospital ( Very cute little college like campus, solid faculty, they have the great researcher Dr. Pearlson here (jt faculty btw Yale and HH), but he is getting up there in age..hours seemed very reasonable here. residents are all very nice)

Last edited:

Anyway, here's mine:
1. MGH/McLean
2. Columbia
3. Cornell
4. UCLA
5. UCSF
6. Longwood
7. Cambridge
8. UCSD
9. WPIC
10. Penn
11. NYU
12. MUSC
13. UMich
14. MCW
15. Northwestern
16. UW-Seattle
17. UTSW-Dallas
18. Yale
19. Brown
20. UNC
21. MSSM

wow what a waste of amazing interviews. You really needed to do 21 interviews?! (Yes I'm jealous and judging)

Lord. How many people does Yale interview?

Lord. How many people does Yale interview?

I think there were 12 dates, I think there were 8 or 9 of us on my day. Seemed pretty standard, I think MGH was the main one that stood out as having substantially different than average number of interview days, they only had like 5 or 6 iirc.

Edit: Initially I just posted a list but I went back and added descriptions.
1.University Washington - Seattle: Extremely well-rounded program. I also have come to really love the idea of Seattle and almost desperately want to wind up there. Strong in consultation-liaison which gives psychiatry a good reputation throughout the hospital system. Numerous options for developing therapy training available, although it isn't pushed on you heavily if you aren't as interested. Residents encouraged to get their own therapy with department funding, or alternatively they are required to do a 6 month course with an attending to discuss countertransference that develops in their therapy cases. They have a ridiculous number of different electives in just about every field imaginable and the faculty are very warm and teaching friendly. I love the sites as well, with Harborview being the best county hospital I've ever been exposed to and it gets rave reviews from residents. UW gives good exposure to more affluent patients and also lots of interesting cases on C/L regarding transplants, cancer, etc. Strong ties with the local psychoanalytic institute that many residents take advantage of both for formal didactics and for further psychotherapy training.

2. Pitt/WPIC: Strong for many reasons UW is strong. all around I found them to be similar programs. I think the massive WPIC inpatient pysch hospital is amazing. I heavily considered putting this program number one but ultimately put it number 2 because I want to wind up in Seattle more. This being said, I would still be thrilled to match at this program. Pittsburgh as a city is much nicer than I thought it would be. Very pretty and feels like tons of revitalization is happening throughout the city. Housing is highly affordable with many residents buying a house within a short distance of work.

3. UNC: before the interview I didn't expect this one to be so high for me, but it surprised me in many ways. As I largely want to do outpatient private practice eventually, it's curriculum is very well thought out for this. You start therapy and outpatient in second year, whereas the inpatient intensive year is third year. You carry therapy cases all three years till you finish, which is great for psychodynamics that cases that really need a long course to become adept at.

4. Duke: also liked it more than i thought I would. All I will say is that it seems very well rounded, with stronger therapy than I expected. It does seem fairly intense but not nearly so much as it's bene made out to be in the past on SDN. Make sure not to avoid applying to this program just because of past reputations. The current program director has made great strides towards making the program more balanced and less grueling.

5. Hopkins: I loved Hopkins overall vibe from both residents and faculty. I also love its long history of tradition and think they give you the best inpatient training of anywhere. This being said, I ranked it a bit lower due to what I perceived to be too little focus on outpatient and outright hostility towards the idea of teaching psychodynamic psychotherapy, a modality that is important to me.

6.Emory

7.Vanderbilt

After this is my home program so can't go lower really and I don't want to list it.

Last edited:
It would be nice if we could restrict this thread every year to folks who bothered to post residency reviews. Its interesting how Rank Order Lists seem to be much more popular than something that has utility.

And now that ROLs on both side are done, I'm curious what the bottleneck is to the long promised flood of reviews? And can't now push it out until after the Match; reviewing programs after you found who picked you and who didn't pollutes your objectivity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Throwawayformatch: Duke is my #4 also. What are your lower end programs U didn't listed, I might have some of those?

It would be nice if we could restrict this thread every year to folks who bothered to post residency reviews. Its interesting how Rank Order Lists seem to be much more popular than something that has utility.

And now that ROLs on both side are done, I'm curious what the bottleneck is to the long promised flood of reviews? And can't now push it out until after the Match; reviewing programs after you found who picked you and who didn't pollutes your objectivity.

I was actually thinking we need a thread for PDs to post their ROL or, as you mention with having utility, a thread reviewing applicants so we don't get people posting "anybody have any opinions on Jason Miller or Rachel Johnson?"

Reactions: 1 users

Fair enough, I won't bother contributing.
I'm also just guessing it has more to do with the fact someone could create a list and reason why their choice is what it is because you can do a complete list in 1/3rd the time it takes to do a single review

Fair enough, I won't bother contributing.
I'm also just guessing it has more to do with the fact someone could create a list and reason why their choice is what it is because you can do a complete list in 1/3rd the time it takes to do a single review

This. Reviews are long, time-consuming, and I've probably forgotten most of the details of the actual interview day. What is left might be mostly a "feeling" from that day. I also don't think that a long review is much more utility than a few sentences about a program. So maybe that might actually be of some use, if people posted their ROL with a couple explanation for each program?

This. Reviews are long, time-consuming, and I've probably forgotten most of the details of the actual interview day. What is left might be mostly a "feeling" from that day. I also don't think that a long review is much more utility than a few sentences about a program. So maybe that might actually be of some use, if people posted their ROL with a couple explanation for each program?

This was my plan with the intention of going back and doing reviews. Of course the road to Psych is paved with good intentions...and like many others in past years I might only be able to squeeze one or two reviews.

Of course not wanting to upset anyone I have no problem not contributing at all, if that's more helpful.

I agree. During the interview season, what I found most useful aside from the formal reviews and old "help me rank" threads were when posters included little blurbs about their thinking and likes/dislikes about each program on their list in the old ROL threads. The posts which were just isolated lists of programs had absolutely zero utility.

Last edited:
I guess fear of going somewhere brand new
Regardless, it has become really clear that if I end up at my 2nd choice, I would be very unhappy. I just do not want to live in that area of the country again. I know that I am obligated to go if I match there, but not obligated to stay. How easy/hard would it be for me to transfer to another program?

I agree. During the interview season, what I found most useful aside from the formal reviews and old "help me rank" threads were when posters included little blurbs about their thinking and likes/dislikes about each program on their list in the old ROL threads. The posts which were just isolated lists of programs had absolutely zero utility.
I edited my post above to try and provide some more useful information. I never took many detailed notes throughout the season and definitely don';t have enough solid facts to write up an accurate in-depth report of each program. I mostly went with gut feeling for my list but I tried to give some glimpse of my thoughts in the list above.

1. Tufts
2. Maine
3. Syracuse
4. U Rochester
5. - 9. Several excellent programs

My top four choices were based on the people I met, the specific curricula, and the locations. The rest of the programs also had excellent people and curricular features, but these four were my favorites. Also, Syracuse really seemed to go out of its way to encourage individual resident's interests, Maine Med is in a New England gem, Portland, and Tufts is in another gem, Boston. Rochester also has an attractive and reasonable schedule, and strong support, and the happy residents outnumbered the five applicants at the dinner by two- or three-fold, which was definitely a plus.

Wow, Smallbird must be very happy with all this Yale love. Andddddd I am adding one more. :) Though I have to say, this adds just a tiny bit more anxiety to this process knowing so many on SDN (a tiny population of the general applicant pool) loved Yale so much to rank them number 1.

1. Yale (I loved the residents there, they were happy, bright, down to earth, PD is amazing, has all th fellowships I am thinking about. Personal reasons, location, I am from CT, has done a great deal of work in the local communities, and my SO has a great job around here.)
2. Columbia (Great program, amazing resources, and I loved the folks there, but location is a bit hard for me.)
3. Hopkins (I really do like their perspectives view, interviewed with the Dr. McHugh who developed it, loved the interview day. Best public health school in the country, too far for my SO.)
4. Harvard Longwood
5. Cambridge
6. Brown
7. Mt. Sinai
8. Harvard South Shore
9. Hartford Hospital
10. Uconn.

In the end, I really do believe that once you reach the "top tier" of schools, the training itself is less of a reason to pick one program over another, which may be why so many people end up going with location.

Duke
Tulane
Baylor
University of Texas
Virginia Tech University
Missouri
Kansas City
Mississippi

I have to say, this adds just a tiny bit more anxiety to this process knowing so many on SDN (a tiny population of the general applicant pool) loved Yale so much to rank them number 1.

If I remember correctly from the interview day, they said they typically interview 125-150 for their ~16 PGY-1 spots. Yale, and other programs that likely have high yield from the top of their ROLs, are in an enviable place from a recruitment point of view.

Last edited:
Feeling the same way.

If I remember correctly from the interview day, they said they typically interview 125-150 for their ~16 PGY-1 spots. Seeing 5 out of 15 lists posted with it at #1 so far certainly punctuates why match day can be so stressful, but also why it's exciting to have lots of good options on our lists! Yale, and other programs that likely have high yield from the top of their ROLs, are in an enviable place from a recruitment point of view.

Haha, very true, and at least one other SDNer is ranking them number 1 I think. Certainly stressful. Hope we all get in and work together :)

I don't know if it's selection bias or what but all of you guys must be rockstars to have so many interviews from top programmes. I'm jealous! :O

This. Reviews are long, time-consuming, and I've probably forgotten most of the details of the actual interview day.
Yep. It takes thought and effort to produce something meaningful. This is why many of us encourage people to post their impressions after they interview.

It's hard to take this view and not feel old. I have a hunch the Residency Interview thread will become something akin to letters (to the young- these are pieces of paper that someone dear and far went to a fair bit of trouble to produce that would elicit a certain reciprocal warmth when the recipient tore it open. It's like... no, it's not really like anything else).

And MLT2MT2DO- please feel free to post your ROL. My comment wasn't to entice people to post less, it was to have them pony up and post on threads that a lot of people found very helpful when deciding where to interview at all. Folks would look over several years of these threads. The ROL comes close to "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" and the fact that Joe ranked Acme above Southwestern is not going to be influencing folks decisions a couple years from now.

1) UTSW
2) San Mateo County
3) Baylor
4) Stanford
5) Wisconsin-Madison
6) Colorado
7) Michigan
8) Vanderbilt
9) OHSU
10) Northwestern
11) U Chicago
12) UTMB

Based my list pretty much entirely on location (both I and my fiance are from the Dallas area) and the ability to get solid clinical training since I have no interest in academics without getting worked to death. I stayed away from NYC, Boston, LA, etc. as living in a big city is a nightmare to me (Houston is the biggest I was willing to go). My list is pretty lacking in the "prestigious programs" department because of that but I'm very happy with all of the programs I interviewed at, and with the exception of UTMB I would have no problem with any of those programs.

I've been working on reviews and have a few saved that I haven't yet submitted, but I've been dragging my feet on finishing them as I burned out on the whole process. I agree, though, that they can be very helpful in some ways. But I worry about the perspectives some people get as I have no idea where they're coming from and whether their interests are at all aligned with mine. I think that's the main downfall of things like that.