Official 2015 Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone, figured I'd go ahead and post a list since reading everyone else's has been fun...

UCLA NPI
USC
UCSD
Columbia NYP
McGaw Northwestern
UCLA SFV
UCLA Harbor
UC Irvine
UIC

Most important things for me were location, SoCal or big city, associated med school cause I may want to do academics, and the vibes I got from residents/gut feelings.
NPI has just about everything I was looking for in a program. Got along well with PD, great location, rigorous academics and research opportunities, residents seem well adjusted and happy. Also like the diversity of training sites with county, VA, private experiences.
USC is in LA which is big for me, also has some solid research opportunities, met a lot of the residents and they seem very down to earth.
UCSD is close enough to LA, brings the academic big guns. Never lived in SD and seems like a pretty cool place, although small and they might be losing their football team.
Really loved everything about Columbia except that it's in NYC. I don't want to be living in Manhattan with an average salary cause then you're poor. Have some good friends in the area so the cold people and cold weather should be bearable.
Northwestern was really nice. Loved the PD and family feel of the program. I have few ties to Chi town and kinda interviewed in Chicago for the trip, but I'm liking the program, and really liked Chicago as a city.
6-9 ranked based on location.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Bump!!!

Please share! Thank you :)

I'm so excited for match day! I can't wait another week! How's everyone feeling?!

Unwell. The wait is exquisite torture for me. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm playing to win the game. I turned down two pre-matches and it'll break my heart to not match.

1. MGH/McLean
2. Yale
3. UCLA
4. Stanford
5. Columbia
6. Home program

Not sure about fellowships at this point, but I doubt it. I'd like to do clinical psychiatry earlier in my career, and eventually hope to go into academics. Loved all of the programs where I interviewed, it was hard not to rank them all #1. I have a coastal bias because my family is on the west coast and my in-laws are on the east coast, and we definitely need the support network wherever we land. I would have liked to do more interviews, but really could not afford to.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. MGH/McLean
2. Yale
3. UCLA
4. Stanford
5. Columbia
6. Home program

Not sure about fellowships at this point, but I doubt it. I'd like to do clinical psychiatry earlier in my career, and eventually hope to go into academics. Loved all of the programs where I interviewed, it was hard not to rank them all #1. I have a coastal bias because my family is on the west coast and my in-laws are on the east coast, and we definitely need the support network wherever we land. I would have liked to do more interviews, but really could not afford to.

Wow. That is quite some list. Not sure what your home program is but you can't go wrong with any of these!

Wow. That is quite some list. Not sure what your home program is but you can't go wrong with any of these!
Thanks! Like everyone else, I'm on edge waiting for Match day.

I hope everyone had some good news today... now it's time to find a way to kill time til Friday!

Reactions: 2 users
I hope everyone had some good news today... now it's time to find a way to kill time til Friday!
I stand by what I said previously. Scotch is the answer. Fine single malts. Any variety that pleases ya.

I stand by what I said previously. Scotch is the answer. Fine single malts. Any variety that pleases ya.

I'm more of a bourbon kind of guy (currently working on a bottle of Blanton's - good stuff). I guess I'm just a puss, but I find Scotch (even nice bottles) to be abhorrent.

I'm more of a bourbon kind of guy (currently working on a bottle of Blanton's - good stuff). I guess I'm just a puss, but I find Scotch (even nice bottles) to be abhorrent.

Same. I too find Scotch abhorrent, but I tell people I like bourbon better because I'm murican. Also, I got to try a bunch whilst I was down in Kentucky for an interview.

Same. I too find Scotch abhorrent, but I tell people I like bourbon better because I'm murican. Also, I got to try a bunch whilst I was down in Kentucky for an interview.

What are your favorite makes? So far the best I've come across have been Woodford Reserve (particularly the oak barrel variety), Jefferson Reserve, and Blanton's. I've tried several others but those are the stand-outs. I'm always down for recommendations.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your favorite makes? So far the best I've come across have been Woodford Reserve (particularly the oak barrel variety), Jefferson Reserve, and Blanton's. I've tried several others but those are the stand-outs. I'm always down for recommendations.

Tried Eagle Rare while in Louisville, have yet to find anything better IMO.

Is that a local variety? Or perhaps something I might be able to pick up in Chicago?
I would think that you could get it in Chicago. Do you guys have Bevmo or Total wine over there? Places like those would be your best bet.

I would think that you could get it in Chicago. Do you guys have Bevmo or Total wine over there? Places like those would be your best bet.

I don't think we have either of those places. As long as it's distributed elsewhere, though, I would think I'd be able to find it. I can usually find just about anything here since it's such a large market.

Thanks for the recommendation. Will definitely give it a shot when it's time to refill.

Cragganmore is a good intro scotch, about the only one I like

Basil Hayden is quality, easily Woodford level stuff. A very interesting if nontraditional is Knob Creek Maple, worth trying if not the best ever.

Basil Hayden is quality, easily Woodford level stuff. A very interesting if nontraditional is Knob Creek Maple, worth trying if not the best ever.

I've had plain Knob Creek and was pretty impressed with it - not the best but also not bad. Maybe I'll give the maple a try. Is it a bit sweeter?

I've had plain Knob Creek and was pretty impressed with it - not the best but also not bad. Maybe I'll give the maple a try. Is it a bit sweeter?

Yup, and just enough other flavor yo be clearly not plain Knob Creek plus sugar. I did not grow up with it, but time in KY means I cannot imagine drinking the stuff with anything more than maybe ice. Or touching Maker's with a ten foot pole.

Yup, and just enough other flavor yo be clearly not plain Knob Creek plus sugar. I did not grow up with it, but time in KY means I cannot imagine drinking the stuff with anything more than maybe ice. Or touching Maker's with a ten foot pole.

Yeah, when I first got into bourbon I was a fan of Maker's (and Jim Bean - lol) but have since graduated to better stuff and can't touch those varieties now. I drink bourbon on the rocks. And though it might be tacky, if I bring a nice bottle of bourbon to a gathering, I'll put a sticky note on the bottle to indicate that it should be consumed straight and not used as a mixer. There's nothing worse than mixing a $60+ bourbon with something.

Angels envy

Lagavulin 16 scotch is my favorite right now. Oh boy I will be sad when that bottle is on its last dram.

Last edited:

Elmer T. Lee and Woodford Reserve. While I like bourbon, I'm much more of a beer guy really. Unless I match at Louisville.

Keep looking at this updated thread to find out you guys are STILL talking about bourbon. Yuck! But thank you wannabie for mentioning beer. Mmm cold brewskie please!

Woodford Reserve or Bulleit all the way :cigar:

While I appreciate all forms of whiskey, I think we can all agree that beer is a more interesting discussion

Elmer T. Lee and Woodford Reserve. While I like bourbon, I'm much more of a beer guy really. Unless I match at Louisville.

Elmer T Lee is a good choice. Someday I will take the plunge and get the aged Pappy Van Winkle that sells for like 75 USD a shot.

The nice thing about KY is that it is a beer state as well as a bourbon state. West Sixth and Against The Grain will serve you well there; also no one has beaten Alltech's Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale in that particular genre.

Reactions: 1 users
Keep looking at this updated thread to find out you guys are STILL talking about bourbon. Yuck! But thank you wannabie for mentioning beer. Mmm cold brewskie please!
I like the direction this thread took...

mmm bourbon, I just had woodford reserve last night to celebrate. Right now Friday can't come soon enough for me so please keep the recommendations coming. Congrats on matching everyone :)

Elmer T Lee is a good choice. Someday I will take the plunge and get the aged Pappy Van Winkle that sells for like 75 USD a shot.

The nice thing about KY is that it is a beer state as well as a bourbon state. West Sixth and Against The Grain will serve you well there; also no one has beaten Alltech's Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale in that particular genre.

I'm pretty pissed at myself that I didn't try Against the Grain whilst I was in Louisville. I got to try Alltech's Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale and it was excellent. But...my favorite beer of all time coincidentally is Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout. Never tried it? Or even seen it? That's because (at least in NJ) it sells out the day it releases. Liquor stores in New Jersey take reservations and it's one bottle per customer.....super limited release. I got to try it at a NYC Beer Tasting Festival. I get goosebumps just thinking about that beer.

I'll take a good port any day.

I'll take a good port any day.

I confess that my associations with port are a little colored by my undergraduate institution's habit of serving enormous, ad libitum quantities of it at formal dinners, with the result that I have probably been ill-er as port in the days before I discovered moderation than any other beverage.

I tried the $75 for Pappy... meh... Its a nice drink, but I just thought of all the bottles of stuff just as good I could have bought. But I guess you have to try it once if you are a true bourbon fan. Just remember, the hype is mostly due to great marketing (remember when 1000s of bottles were "stolen" conveniently driving up demand even more?).

I'm a Midwest girl and I'm all about a rich glass of Cabernet Sauvignon.

I'm pretty pissed at myself that I didn't try Against the Grain whilst I was in Louisville. I got to try Alltech's Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale and it was excellent. But...my favorite beer of all time coincidentally is Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout. Never tried it? Or even seen it? That's because (at least in NJ) it sells out the day it releases. Liquor stores in New Jersey take reservations and it's one bottle per customer.....super limited release. I got to try it at a NYC Beer Tasting Festival. I get goosebumps just thinking about that beer.

Yes! bourbon county stout is so hard to find! I have looked all over the place for it but no luck.
have you ever tried Founders KBS? it's released once a year and so hard to get a hold of as well. I recently had it on tap in north nj and it was bliss in a bottle and then some. my local beer store is going to hold one for me when its released. literally the best stout and beer that I've ever had.

Last edited:
Yes! bourbon county stout is so hard to find in NJ!! I have looked all over the place for it but no luck.
have you ever tried Founders KBS? it's released once a year and so hard to get a hold of as well. I recently had it on tap in north nj and it was bliss in a bottle and then some. my local beer store is going to hold one for me when its released. literally the best stout and beer that I've ever had.

My local shop also sells out of the stout faster than I can ever make it in, but I've been able to score 4-packs of the Bourbon County Barleywine, which is also seriously delicious. Highly recommended, and probably easier to get your hands on most places.

Yes! bourbon county stout is so hard to find in NJ!! I have looked all over the place for it but no luck.

I have NOT heard of it--BUT IT'S RIGHT UP MY ALLEY. But nooooo: it releases when I'm out of the country. I shall have to enlist my friends to grab a few for me.

One day left and I'm about to bust open with anticipation/anxiety!

I'm pretty restless right now. I have too much nervous energy. I believe it is time to go on a long run. Eek!!!!

In the end, I followed the advice of "location, location, location" (desired West > East > Midwest), factored in heavily potential research mentors/research track support, then gut.

1. UCLA/NPI >>>>> MATCHED :D
2. University of Washington
3. UCSF
4. Yale
5. Home program
6. Stanford
8. Harvard Longwood
9. Johns Hopkins
10. University of Michigan
11. OHSU
12. Mt. Sinai (the only one not objectively ranked due to a horrible experience with the PD)

Interviews declined: Dartmouth, UPenn, Duke, Emory, U Chicago, WashU, Brown, NYU, UT Southwestern

Last edited:
Ok, better late than never.
1. San Mateo (Community, Community, Community. No call doesn't hurt either)
2. Stanford
3. UCSF
4. UC Riverside (great faculty, opportunity to help build a program, strong commitment to underserved populations, low cost of living)
5. UC Davis
6. UWash- Seattle (lower due to partner's unfamiliarity with job market in their field/ recognition that SAD affects both of us)
7. UWash-Idaho track
8. CPMC- no academic connections, many faculty were very old school, non diverse. New pd seems excellent)
9. UCSF Fresno (sorry to offend, but it's in Fresno. Pd and apd have similar interests to mine)
10. UCLA- San Fernando Valley (nice group of residents, but I'm like a 6 year old and do poorly with transitions. Thus their half day model was less than appealing)
11. Kaiser Fontana (faculty seemed inexperienced re running a program, and were too closely affiliated with loma linda for my comfort)
12. UHawaii- (great program, would have loved to be there. Location not right for me and my partner.)

Declined interviews at UArizona's 2 Tucson programs and Spokane. Rejected by Yale, brown, ucolorado, UCLA, uci, ucsd, ucla-npi, ucla-harbor, oshu, ucla-kern, Visalia.