Official 2016-2017 Allergy/Immunology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess I'll be the first one. Kind of quiet. Thanks gutonc for starting the thread. Ummm....can we fix the year to say 2016-2017? ;) Thanks

I'll be applying this cycle. Very excited. Now back to hospital discharge summary writing +pissed+

Hi Ex-Martian! Also applying this year! Hopefully there will be a bit more activity on here other than me and you! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there allergy2016. Let's get this discussion rolling.

I commented on the previous application cycle regarding non-participating programs. There were 24 NP last i checked (a couple of weeks ago). Does that mean they are not accepting applications for this cycle or they have their own application process? Any input? Anyone? Thanks.

When I first opened ERAS a few weeks ago, there were a lot of non-participating programs but I think if you look closely it's because they had incomplete registrations? But it's not as many as it was awhile ago.

I saw Creighton wasn't participating so maybe they took an internal candidate or something.

How's your app coming along? Why is this so quiet?!!

Phew. You are right. I guess I should have looked at the list again. Now there are only 3 NP :) False alarm on my part.

My application is coming along ok I think. It's more waiting for LOR to be uploaded and trying to bribe the ladies and gents at my medical school to upload my MSPE and transcript. The verification process takes like 5-7 days correct? So if I want to have my app to be ready for programs to download by 7/15 I would have to have sent in my completed application by July 8-10.

It's just you and I for now I guess. Others will eventually show up.

Yeah, not sure whether to consider 5-7 business days or regular days. Are you applying from peds or medicine?

Oh yeah! I didn't even think of business vs regular days. I'm over thinking this thing probably. I should just send it as quickly as I can. I'll have to send out some email reminders now. I'll be applying from Medicine world. Kind of looking forward to seeing a younger population for a change.

Hi, I'm also applying to A/I this year! Will follow and comment on threads

Probably 20-25? Or as many as I can afford :) haven't finalized the numbers yet. I've heard that programs don't interview many people and that interview season begin really early for A/I. I have been assigned Medical ICU for the month of September! No way can I leave for interview at that time. I can only wait and find out :corny:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. I am a prospective AI applicant hoping to apply next year. Does anyone have insight into the job market after fellowship? The jobs listings on AAAAI website aren't that impressive and there are a lot of states without jobs at all. I am at a large academic program that doesn't have an allergy fellowship, so I don't have any fellows I could ask myself...thanks for the help, good luck to all the applicants!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also planning to apply to 20-25 programs. Its costly applying to more!
As regards job market, it depends from what I've seen from the recently graduated fellows. Usually harder to secure an academic position but might be easier if your fellowship mentor has some clout all over the country. :)

A/I is a field where you can still work until you are in your 90s :) (if you decide to work that long). There are many ways you can work as an Allergist. There are many allergist working with ENT and dermatologists. You can always start your own practice where ever you go. Fellows don't really share much regarding job placement/salaries, but they always seem to find a job way before they graduate (at least fellows at my home program did). If you are a likable person, you will have patients and a job. This goes for any field in medicine.

Hang on to your seats ladies and gents. The roller coaster has almost reached the top. 7 days to go!

Do we really have to click through everything to attach documents? Geez! :/

I'll click and check as many boxes as they want if it means I go through this only once! ;)

Hello all I am applying this yr from the Peds side. :)

If u go to the documents tab u can click the top box and it will attach that doc to all the programs.

I heard ERAS will be down from midnight. Try and submit your application as soon as possible. (although no rush really. Sending it on Monday shouldn't be a deal breaker except you are applying to Mayo- deadline July 15!)

This is so frustrating. Need extra dose of BB. Still have LOR pending to be uploaded! :bang: I think I'm just gonna apply and hope they will re download my application and LOR later. I've waited almost 1.5 mo for these damned letters! I thought I was way ahead of the game :smack:

Holy crap! The ship has sailed :barf:For better or for worse, it's done. Sent. :luck::xf::luck: Good luck everyone.

Hey everyone! Med-Peds resident here. Applied to 32 programs :smack: but super excited to start hearing back from some. Wishing everyone the best!

Hey, I'm applying this year from the IM side. Good luck everyone!

Stealing below from other fellowship application threads! Let's keep track of interviews

Please enter your interview program in the appropriate category, along with the date you received it, and then copy and paste it into your post.

AMG:

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

Just for fun, is there a list of the top 20 A/I programs? Just wondering...

Cool. Thanks Nadal and whomever initially created the list. Now considering there are less than 80 programs out there, does having top anything really matter? I will tell you the number ONE program if/when I get in ;) Generally speaking, whatever top 20 big name university comes to mind is usually the top 20 :shrug:. I am sure there is a list somewhere.

When checking if programs start downloading your application, the status changes from Available to Downloaded when it happens, right? Ok, so I realize that A/I people are usually chill, right? BUT PELASE DON'T BE CHILL ABOUT DOWNLOADING APPLICATION AND REVIEWING THEM :poke:. Ok. Thats all.

Has anybody heard anything yet? It seems like people in other specialties are hearing back...

Cool. Thanks Nadal and whomever initially created the list. Now considering there are less than 80 programs out there, does having top anything really matter? I will tell you the number ONE program if/when I get in ;) Generally speaking, whatever top 20 big name university comes to mind is usually the top 20 :shrug:. I am sure there is a list somewhere.

When checking if programs start downloading your application, the status changes from Available to Downloaded when it happens, right? Ok, so I realize that A/I people are usually chill, right? BUT PELASE DON'T BE CHILL ABOUT DOWNLOADING APPLICATION AND REVIEWING THEM :poke:. Ok. Thats all.
Nope. The system changed. There's no more downloading. Only anxiety. Good luck.

Hi everyone, I'm applying from the IM side. I got one interview invite today, I'm more than a little nervous that they are making decisions so soon, I still have 2 letters that won't be released until the end of this week or early next week. Good luck everyone!

AMG:
University of Wisconsin 7/19

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

congrats!

I'm applying from IM side as well. 45 program :unsure: I'm super nervous. I thought this whole process would be easier the THIRD time around since I'm older and more mature but NOPE - still terrifying and anxiety ridden.

good luck everyone!

Invite from Columbia today.

AMG:

IMG w/o visa required:
Columbia 7/20

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

Invite from UPMC today.

AMG:

IMG w/o visa required:
Columbia 7/20
UPMC 7/20

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

JHU mail saying application received. Did everyone receive that?

JHU mail saying application received. Did everyone receive that?

Yeah. Dont really mean much. Seeing JHU in the beginning of the email did get me excited though for a second :)

Is it too early to freak out ?! :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Hi All, I am applying for AI this year from ped side. Will keep in touch

Ugh! I think SDN just makes me panic and freak out more haha :p

AMG:

IMG w/o visa required:
Columbia 7/20
UPMC 7/20

IMG requiring visa:

UPMC 7/20
University of Wisconsin 7/25
University of Iowa 7/25

Rejections:

AMG:
University of Wisconsin 7/19 & 7/25
NIH 7/20

IMG w/o visa required:
Columbia 7/20
UPMC 7/20

IMG requiring visa:

UPMC 7/20
University of Iowa 7/25

Rejections:

AMG:
University of Wisconsin 7/19 & 7/25
NIH 7/20
Columbia 7/20
UPMC 7/20

IMG w/o visa required:
Columbia 7/20
UPMC 7/20

IMG requiring visa:

UPMC 7/20
University of Iowa 7/25

Rejections:[/QUOTE]

Invite for a phone "chat" from Brigham and Women's Hospital, I assume it's pre screening for an interview? I didn't see any specifics about their application process on their website.

interesting! Wonder what the chat is going to be about. I know they did the same last year. You should speak to anyone who applied last year, if you know any.