Official 2016-2017 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could someone comment on these programs ? And rank order

Jefferson
Christiana Care DE
Lankenau
Lehigh valley
Maimonides NY

Members don't see this ad.

I need help deciding between Cedars Sinai and Cleveland Clinic.

I am interested in interventional cardiology and look forward to a clinically rigorous, high volume program.

CS is closer to family and LA is great.
CC is probably more intense clinically and likely has more recognition (better for getting a job later)

Thanks for your thoughts!

I am interested in interventional cardiology and look forward to a clinically rigorous, high volume program.

CC is probably more intense clinically and likely has more recognition (better for getting a job later)

Are you nuts ? You have cleveland clinic on the table and you're even considering ? Your family and LA can wait .. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity it's only for 3-4 years after which (in case you get celeveland) you will find a job anywhere you want including LA... sacrifice geography for the sake of academics and reputation now and you will win everything later.. plus how much do you think you will see your family if you live in LA ? You're doing a cards fellowship you will be in the hospital most of the time and if you actually have a Couple of days off you can fly to LA on spirit airlines for a couple of hundred bucks !!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Which one would you rank first and why?
St. Louis university vs Creighton university. I had SLU interview on 09/29 and Creighton on 09/30.
What were your impressions of the programs? I interviewed at Creighton but have no experience with SLU.

Cleveland Clinic is a better rounded program and is very strong in every subspecialty of cardiology; the divisions also seem to be closely woven together. Cedars is a complex institution (when I interviewed there quite a few years ago)- lot of privates and academicsians thrown in the mix together- emphasis seemed to be mostly on private practice. Cedars does have a few famous names and is close to Hollywood; structural and heart transplant are their strong areas. The facilities (hospital) were not as impressive as CCF when I visited.

Both places are very procedure heavy- CCF's cardiology would be more academic; CCF is clearly a few tiers above Cedars (tier 1 versus tier 3/4). CCF shd open doors anywhere in the country- if you want to go back to California.

Do you guys have any thoughts regarding U Mass, U of Iowa, Rush, Henry Ford, and U Kansas. I'm looking for a strong clinical/procedures program with solid academics. Interested in interventional/structural.

I got a very helpful input from few members here, but wanted to know what everyone think as they all seem to be good.

I wish you all the very best in this process!

Are you nuts ? You have cleveland clinic on the table and you're even considering ? Your family and LA can wait .. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity it's only for 3-4 years after which (in case you get celeveland) you will find a job anywhere you want including LA... sacrifice geography for the sake of academics and reputation now and you will win everything later.. plus how much do you think you will see your family if you live in LA ? You're doing a cards fellowship you will be in the hospital most of the time and if you actually have a Couple of days off you can fly to LA on spirit airlines for a couple of hundred bucks !!!!

Thanks Rice. This is how I was putting it together also. Very fortunate to have the opportunity. Appreciate the input.

Cleveland Clinic is a better rounded program and is very strong in every subspecialty of cardiology; the divisions also seem to be closely woven together. Cedars is a complex institution (when I interviewed there quite a few years ago)- lot of privates and academicsians thrown in the mix together- emphasis seemed to be mostly on private practice. Cedars does have a few famous names and is close to Hollywood; structural and heart transplant are their strong areas. The facilities (hospital) were not as impressive as CCF when I visited.

Both places are very procedure heavy- CCF's cardiology would be more academic; CCF is clearly a few tiers above Cedars (tier 1 versus tier 3/4). CCF shd open doors anywhere in the country- if you want to go back to California.

Thanks EPADHA. It does seem that CCF is strong across the board and has a lot of opportunities for academics. It seems that Cedars is also starting to invest a lot more for those interested in research. Appreciate the input!

Tis the season to be ranking.. These are programs I am having a difficult time putting together. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't have geographic restrictions. Clinical training and reputation is the main criteria for me. Clinical research is a bonus.

UF Jacksonville
St. Louis university
Allegheny
Aurora
Henry Ford Hospital

What were your impressions of the programs? I interviewed at Creighton but have no experience with SLU.
The program is ok but it's in Omaha (Middle of no where and no much things to do there). No VAD or heart transplantation. No many electives blocks comparing to other programs. Otherwise the fellows seem to be happy.

Are the two providence program in detroit very different from each other? I'm interviewing at the Southfield program. Is it the "B" team of the two places? lol

Appreciate your thoughts. Interested in academics and clinical research.

Brigham
Duke
JHH
Yale
Upenn
UPMC
UNC
Wash U
Vanderbilt

Looking for ranking advice. Interested in interventional cards and a strong CCU experience. Family is in California.

Cleveland Clinic
Cedars-Sinai
UCSF
Columbia
Hopkins
Penn
UCSD
Mt Sinai
OHSU
Scripps

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Brigham
Duke
JHH
Yale
Upenn
UPMC
UNC
Wash U
Vanderbilt

Go with your gut, honestly any of those programs are solid and will get you where you want to be, think about where you think you'll fit in best and which program felt like they would provide you the support and mentorship needed to accomplish your goals. Talk to current fellows from those programs to get their reactions and thoughts. I interviewed at a handful of those programs along with my co-residents and we all had vastly different thoughts about each program.

Looking for ranking advice. Interested in interventional cards and a strong CCU experience. Family is in California.

Cleveland Clinic
Cedars-Sinai
UCSF
Columbia
Hopkins
Penn
UCSD
Mt Sinai
OHSU
Scripps

Thanks!

That's a solid list and you'll be well trained coming out of any of those programs. What are your career interests? Where did you feel that you'd fit in best? I would strongly disagree with a poster above saying to choose CCF over all else, you should strongly consider where you'd fit best as far as career interest, culture and lifestyle. At this stage of the game, I don't think it's worthwhile to attend a program where you don't fit in and you're unhappy with. None of those programs would hold you back from a job in California, if that's where you want to end up. I would also disagree with a poster above in regards to cedars not being in the same tier as CCF, cedars is very much on the same level as any other big name program out there and is one of the strongest programs on the west coast.

How would you guys recommend ranking the following programs? My goal is to become a strong clinical cardiologist by the end of fellowship.

Hofstra NS-LIJ
USF
NYMC
Drexel
UMass
UF Jacksonville

Avoid Match Violations in Fellowship Interview Questions
AAIM is concerned about recent reports by some internal medicine residency program directors that their residents have been asked inappropriate questions during and following fellowship interviews. These include but are not limited to inquiries about where a resident intends to rank the program and encouraging disclosure to commit to ranking a program first.

This behavior is contrary to the principles of our profession, internal medicine, and AAIM. Residents are in a vulnerable position, and understandably hesitant to report the activity, fearing lost opportunities. These practices are also violations of NRMP policies presented below. AAIM encourages violations to be reported to NRMP for investigation.

Please disseminate this reminder to faculty, staff, and fellows who are participating in recruitment. As a reminder, NRMP policy prevents programs from:
Asking anything about the programs to which applicants have or may apply, as well as geographic region

Asking where the applicant plans to rank the program

Asking illegal or coercive questions related to: age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and family or pregnancy status.

Requiring visiting rotations or second visits

Soliciting or requiring post-interview communication from applicants or engaging in disingenuous post-interview communication
Applicants may volunteer where they have applied and how they plan to rank that program, but programs cannot ask for that information.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi,

Also need help ranking programs. Looking for strong clinical training. Undecided on super fellowship, so want to able to match in any field after, making prestige important too. Geographic location and research not huge factors for me.

Baylor Dallas
UT Houston
Houston Methodist
Cleveland Clinic Florida
Mount Sinai Miami Beach
UF (Gainesville)
Rush

usc rejection

AMG
7/19 - Baylor College of Medicine, Houston
7/21 - UMass
7/21 - WVU
7/21 - Stony Brook
7/21 - Yale University/Yale-New Haven
7/25, 8/3 - U of Kentucky
7/25 - Atlantic Health System (Morristown)
7/25, 8/15 - U at Buffalo
7/26 - Albany Medical College
7/27 - OHSU
7/28 - Hawaii
7/29 - Cedars-Sinai
7/ ? - Kaiser SF
8/1 - GW
8/1 - Duke
8/1 - University of Utah
8/1, 8/3 - University of Nebraska
8/1, 8/10 - Baylor Dallas
8/2, 8/4 - UVA
8/2 - Brown
8/2 - Loyola
8/2 - Rochester
8/3 - MCW
8/3 - UCSF
8/3 - Grand Rapids
8/4, 8/19, 8/22 - UPMC
8/4 - WashU/B-JH/SLCH
8/4 - Columbia-NYP
8/4, 8/16 - U of Maryland
8/4 - U of Arizona-Phoenix Banner
8/5 - Henry Ford
8/5 - Hopkins
8/5, 8/12, 9/2? - Michigan
8/5 - UT Southwestern
8/8 - BWH
8/8, 8/25 - UTHSC-Memphis
8/8 - Indiana U
8/8, 8/15 - UF Jacksonville
8/8 - VA Tech (Carilion)
8/8, 8/18 - Scripps
8/9, 8/11, 8/17 - Cleveland Clinic Ohio
8/9 - Case Western Reserve University/University Hospitals
8/9 - Georgetown
8/9 - University of Miami/JFK Palm Beach
8/9 - Mayo Clinic - Rochester
8/9 - Penn State
8/10, 8/22 - UCSD
8/11 - University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
8/12 - University of Vermont
8/12 - Dartmouth
8/12 - Cornell
8/12 - Hennepin County/Abbott Northwestern - Minneapolis
8/13 - Winthrop
8/15 - UTHSC - San Antonio
8/15 - Emory
8/15 - RWJMS
8/15 - Virginia Commonwealth University
8/16 - Tufts
8/16, 8/18 - University of Tennessee - Chattanooga
8/16 - University of Minnesota
8/16 - University of Oklahoma
8/16, 8/18 - University of Arizona
8/16 - University of Iowa
8/16 - NYU
8/16 - BCM/Texas Heart/St. Luke's
8/16 - Hofstra
8/17 - BMC
8/17, 8/18 - SLU
8/17, 8/19 - BIDMC
8/17 - Thomas Jefferson
8/17 - Texas A&M (Scott & White)
8/17 - University of Mississippi
8/17 - Colorado/UC Denver
8/18 - California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco
8/18 - University of Florida (Gainesville)
8/19 - Palmetto Health/University of South Carolina
8/19 - University of Washington
8/19, 8/26 - Ohio State University
8/19 - MGH
8/19 - Montefiore
8/19 - Mt. Sinai NY (Academic Track)
8/19 - University of Louisville
8/19 - Creighton University
8/22 - St. Vincent's Indianapolis
8/22 - Albany Medical Center
8/22 (internal), 8/24 - U Chicago
8/22, 8/31 - UCLA
8/22 - Ochsner
8/22 - USF
8/22 - Aurora Health Care
8/22 - Wake Forest
8/23 - UCincinnati
8/23 - UToledo
8/24 - Mercy St. Vincent
8/24 - Metro Health (Case)
8/24 - Stanford
8/25, 8/26 - Vanderbilt
8/25 - Cooper University
8/25 - UC Irvine
8/26 - UC Davis
8/26, 9/2 - Jackson Memorial - Miami
8/26 - Beaumont
8/29 - MUSC
8/31 - Kansas
8/31, 9/1 - Northwestern
9/1 - UIC
9/1 - U South Carolina (Palmetto)
9/1 - Tulane
9/2 - UPenn
9/6 - UAB
9/6 - Rush
9/7 - Marshall University
9/7 - Cristiana Care
9/8 - Rutgers University
9/9 - Mizzou - Columbia
9/9 - Temple
9/14 - Uni of TN - Knoxville
9/15 - UTMB
9/27 - University of Nevada, Las Vegas
? - Kaiser LA
? - USC

DO
8/1 - Nassau University Medical Center
8/8 - UF Jacksonville
8/16 - Hofstra
8/18 - Broward General Hospital
8/22 - Coney Island Hospital

IMG w/o visa required
7/18 - OHSU
7/19 - Yale
7/25 - University of Buffalo
7/28 - Atlantic Health System (Morristown)
/7/29 - Geisinger
8/2 - Loyola
8/3 - Grand Rapids
8/4 - Texas Tech El Paso
8/5 - Henry Ford
8/9 - University of Wisconsin
8/12 - NYMC
8/12 - University of Tennessee
8/12 - University of Nebraska
8/15 - University of Chicago (Northshore)
8/16 - Summa Health Ohio
8/17 - University of Arizona
8/17 - Boston University/BMC
8/18 - St. John Hospital, Detroit
8/22 - Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (Academic Track)
8/23 - Cleveland Clinic Florida
8/23 - LSU New Orleans
8/23 - Medical College of Georgia
8/25 - University of Illinois at Peoria
8/26 - Albany Medical College
8/26 - Stony Brook University
8/29 - University of Louisville
8/29 - Lenox Hill Hospital
8/30 - University of Cincinnati
8/30 - UAMS
8/30, 9/15 - University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
8/30 - UTHSC-Memphis (only one date 9/16)
8/31 - University of Kansas (KUMC)
9/2 - University of Missouri - Columbia
9/2 - University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital
9/6 - UAB
9/9 - Henry Ford
9/9 - University of Missouri - Kansas City/MAHI
9/9 - Temple University
9/12 - Lehigh Valley
9/14 - University of Tennessee Knoxville
9/15 - St. Vincent (Worcester, MA)
9/16 - Beth Israel, Newark, NJ
9/19 - SUNY Upstate
9/20 - Mt. Sinai (FL)
9/20 - University of Miami/ JFK Regional
9/27 - Drexel
9/28 - Baystate
9/28 - St. Elizabeth (Boston)

IMG requiring visa
7/25 - U at Buffalo
8/3 - Grand Rapids
8/4 - UPMC
8/4 - Geisinger
8/9 - Georgetown/WHC
8/10 - Mayo Clinic - Rochester
8/11 - University of Kentucky
8/11 - University of Nebraska
8/12 - University of Utah
8/15 - University of Connecticut
8/17 - University of Colorado, Denver
8/18 - University of Rochester
8/19 - Saint Louis University
8/19 - Mount Sinai Icahn School of Medicine
8/19 - Ohio State University
8/19 - New York Medical College / Westchester Medical Center
8/19 - Loma Linda University
8/22 - Allegheny General Hospital
8/25 - UTHSC-Memphis
8/26 - Mayo Clinic, Arizona
9/2 - Cook County
9/2 - Detroit Medical Center /Wayne State University
9/6 - Mayo Clinic, Florida
9/6 - Rush University Medical Center
9/6 - Hartford
9/6 - Montefiore
9/12 - St. Elizabeth Boston

Waitlisted
8/19 - U of Maryland (AMG, external)

Rejections
7/19, 8/9 - WashU/B-JH/SLCH
8/4 - Columbia-NYP
8/5, 8/18, 9/2 - Michigan
8/9 - Georgetown
8/10 - Duke
8/15 - Mayo Rochester
8/17 - Brown
8/18 - Colorado/UC Denver
8/19 - University of Maryland
8/19 - UCSD
8/19 - University of Massachusetts
8/19 - New York Medical College
8/21 - U of New Mexico
8/22, 8/24 - UChicago
8/23 - Indiana University
8/23 - University of Florida (Gainesville)
8/23, 9/6 - MGH
8/23 - Hopkins
8/23, 9/26 - UTSW
8/24 - Thomas Jefferson
8/25 - Cooper University
8/25, 9/20 - University of Connecticut
8/29 - William Beaumont Hospital
8/29 - University of Utah
8/29 - Boston University
8/29 - Creighton University
8/30 - University of South Florida
8/31 - Texas A&M College of Medicine-Scott and White
8/31 - University of Arkansas
8/31 - Ohio State
8/31 - UCLA
9/1 - Vanderbilt
9/1 - University of Minnesota
9/1, 9/2 - University of Illinois Chicago
9/2 - Hennepin County
9/2 - Kansas University Medical Center
9/2, 9/6 - University of Kentucky
9/3 - BIDMC
9/4 - Palmetto Health/University of South Carolina School of Medicine
9/6 - Cook County
9/6 - Scripps
9/9 - Geisinger
9/10 - Mayo Clinic - Arizona
9/12 - Emory
9/16 - Univ of Wisconsin
9/16 - Vidant, NC,
9/16 - LSU, New Orleans
9/16 - Tulane
9/19 - Cook County
9/19 - Kettering Health,Ohio
9/19 - NY Methodist
9/20 - Cleveland Clinic
9/20 - Univ of Louisville
10/4 - USC

Brigham
Duke
JHH
Yale
Upenn
UPMC
UNC
Wash U
Vanderbilt
excellent list!
what areas of cardiology are you interested in research and clinical practice wise? Any particular mentors you would like to work with. For clinical research Duke, and Brigham (with TIMI group) are well known.
For clinical training Penn, Duke, Wash u, Vanderbilt and UPMC are all great.
Don't know much about UNC.

Cleveland Clinic
Cedars-Sinai
UCSF
Columbia
Hopkins
Penn
UCSD
Mt Sinai
OHSU
Scripps

Thanks!

This is a tough list.. lot of great programs.. would go by fit and other factors

CCF (since you want strong CCU and cath)

Columbia ( the hub of interventional cardiology in US right now)

Penn (strong interventional and CCU; would see how the learning climate is).

UCSF (strong EP/echo, cath lab less busy, open CCU at UCSF), Hopkins (strong EP) - they both are research powerhouses, cath volume low at both- more prestigious than the other programs, but if you see yourself in private practice prestige won't eventually matter , and prestige alone won't train you how to treat complex patients or do complex PCIs.

Mount Sinai (very strong clinical training- the best or second best clinical training in NYC, cath lab very busy, Sharma is controversial, EP very strong with Reddy etc, strong imaging and clinical cardiology.. houses JACC.. so I am sure there are plentiful academic opportunities)

Cedars (Strong structural with Makkar etc, transplant heavy, strong history, open CCU I think, don't know about clinical training as it has a lot of privates),

Last edited:
Tis the season to be ranking.. These are programs I am having a difficult time putting together. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't have geographic restrictions. Clinical training and reputation is the main criteria for me. Clinical research is a bonus.

UF Jacksonville
St. Louis university
Allegheny
Aurora
Henry Ford Hospital

Suggestions and input dear future colleagues...

There was a recent ad posted for a new Cardiology program opening at Morehouse College of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia. This program is new, has recently opened and they just got accredited. Their application opened Oct 4th for next year and they are accepting 2 fellows. I am posting it here for applicants who are struggling and have very few interviews. I am posting it here so that more people can take advantage of this opportunity and I feel it is good karma to do so.

Reactions: 1 users
There was a recent ad posted for a new Cardiology program opening at Morehouse College of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia. This program is new, has recently opened and they just got accredited. Their application opened Oct 4th for next year and they are accepting 2 fellows. I am posting it here for applicants who are struggling and have very few interviews. I am posting it here so that more people can take advantage of this opportunity and I feel it is good karma to do so.

Interesting! I checked their website and you are right! However, not sure exactly what they mean by minority representation. Are they open to all?!

Interesting! I checked their website and you are right! However, not sure exactly what they mean by minority representation. Are they open to all?!

ERAS lets you pay and submit your application but I was not sure either if they are considering only a certain category.

How late is too late to send out thank you notes? I interviewed somewhere on Oct 5th and their last interview is Oct 19th. Is it ok to send my thank you notes on Oct 10th ( 5 days after the interview)? Thank you

Almost done! Good luck to all

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
NW rejection

AMG
7/19 - Baylor College of Medicine, Houston
7/21 - UMass
7/21 - WVU
7/21 - Stony Brook
7/21 - Yale University/Yale-New Haven
7/25, 8/3 - U of Kentucky
7/25 - Atlantic Health System (Morristown)
7/25, 8/15 - U at Buffalo
7/26 - Albany Medical College
7/27 - OHSU
7/28 - Hawaii
7/29 - Cedars-Sinai
7/ ? - Kaiser SF
8/1 - GW
8/1 - Duke
8/1 - University of Utah
8/1, 8/3 - University of Nebraska
8/1, 8/10 - Baylor Dallas
8/2, 8/4 - UVA
8/2 - Brown
8/2 - Loyola
8/2 - Rochester
8/3 - MCW
8/3 - UCSF
8/3 - Grand Rapids
8/4, 8/19, 8/22 - UPMC
8/4 - WashU/B-JH/SLCH
8/4 - Columbia-NYP
8/4, 8/16 - U of Maryland
8/4 - U of Arizona-Phoenix Banner
8/5 - Henry Ford
8/5 - Hopkins
8/5, 8/12, 9/2? - Michigan
8/5 - UT Southwestern
8/8 - BWH
8/8, 8/25 - UTHSC-Memphis
8/8 - Indiana U
8/8, 8/15 - UF Jacksonville
8/8 - VA Tech (Carilion)
8/8, 8/18 - Scripps
8/9, 8/11, 8/17 - Cleveland Clinic Ohio
8/9 - Case Western Reserve University/University Hospitals
8/9 - Georgetown
8/9 - University of Miami/JFK Palm Beach
8/9 - Mayo Clinic - Rochester
8/9 - Penn State
8/10, 8/22 - UCSD
8/11 - University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
8/12 - University of Vermont
8/12 - Dartmouth
8/12 - Cornell
8/12 - Hennepin County/Abbott Northwestern - Minneapolis
8/13 - Winthrop
8/15 - UTHSC - San Antonio
8/15 - Emory
8/15 - RWJMS
8/16 - Tufts
8/16, 8/18 - University of Tennessee - Chattanooga
8/16 - University of Oklahoma
8/16, 8/18 - University of Arizona
8/16 - NYU
8/16 - BCM/Texas Heart/St. Luke's
8/16 - Hofstra
8/17 - BMC
8/17, 8/18 - SLU
8/17, 8/19 - BIDMC
8/17 - Thomas Jefferson
8/17 - Texas A&M (Scott & White)
8/17 - University of Mississippi
8/17 - Colorado/UC Denver
8/18 - California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco
8/18 - University of Florida (Gainesville)
8/19 - Palmetto Health/University of South Carolina
8/19, 8/26 - Ohio State University
8/19 - MGH
8/19 - Montefiore
8/19 - Mt. Sinai NY (Academic Track)
8/19 - University of Louisville
8/22 - St. Vincent's Indianapolis
8/22 - Albany Medical Center
8/22 (internal), 8/24 - U Chicago
8/22, 8/31 - UCLA
8/22 - Ochsner
8/22 - USF
8/22 - Aurora Health Care
8/22 - Wake Forest
8/23 - UCincinnati
8/23 - UToledo
8/24 - Mercy St. Vincent
8/24 - Metro Health (Case)
8/24 - Stanford
8/25, 8/26 - Vanderbilt
8/25 - Cooper University
8/25 - UC Irvine
8/26 - UC Davis
8/26, 9/2 - Jackson Memorial - Miami
8/26 - Beaumont
8/29 - MUSC
8/31 - Kansas
8/31, 9/1 - Northwestern
9/1 - UIC
9/1 - U South Carolina (Palmetto)
9/1 - Tulane
9/2 - UPenn
9/6 - UAB
9/6 - Rush
9/7 - Marshall University
9/7 - Cristiana Care
9/8 - Rutgers University
9/9 - Mizzou - Columbia
9/9 - Temple
9/14 - Uni of TN - Knoxville
9/15 - UTMB
9/27 - University of Nevada, Las Vegas
? - Kaiser LA
? - USC

DO
8/1 - Nassau University Medical Center
8/8 - UF Jacksonville
8/16 - Hofstra
8/18 - Broward General Hospital
8/22 - Coney Island Hospital

IMG w/o visa required
7/18 - OHSU
7/19 - Yale
7/25 - University of Buffalo
7/28 - Atlantic Health System (Morristown)
/7/29 - Geisinger
8/2 - Loyola
8/3 - Grand Rapids
8/4 - Texas Tech El Paso
8/5 - Henry Ford
8/9 - University of Wisconsin
8/12 - NYMC
8/12 - University of Tennessee
8/12 - University of Nebraska
8/15 - University of Chicago (Northshore)
8/16 - Summa Health Ohio
8/17 - University of Arizona
8/17 - Boston University/BMC
8/22 - Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (Academic Track)
8/23 - LSU New Orleans
8/23 - Medical College of Georgia
8/25 - University of Illinois at Peoria
8/26 - Albany Medical College
8/26 - Stony Brook University
8/29 - University of Louisville
8/29 - Lenox Hill Hospital
8/30 - University of Cincinnati
8/30 - UAMS
8/30, 9/15 - University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
8/30 - UTHSC-Memphis (only one date 9/16)
9/2 - University of Missouri - Columbia
9/2 - University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital
9/6 - UAB
9/9 - Henry Ford
9/9 - University of Missouri - Kansas City/MAHI
9/9 - Temple University
9/12 - Lehigh Valley
9/14 - University of Tennessee Knoxville
9/15 - St. Vincent (Worcester, MA)
9/16 - Beth Israel, Newark, NJ
9/19 - SUNY Upstate
9/20 - Mt. Sinai (FL)
9/20 - University of Miami/ JFK Regional
9/27 - Drexel
9/28 - Baystate
9/28 - St. Elizabeth (Boston)

IMG requiring visa
7/25 - U at Buffalo
8/3 - Grand Rapids
8/4 - UPMC
8/4 - Geisinger
8/9 - Georgetown/WHC
8/10 - Mayo Clinic - Rochester
8/11 - University of Kentucky
8/11 - University of Nebraska
8/12 - University of Utah
8/15 - University of Connecticut
8/17 - University of Colorado, Denver
8/18 - University of Rochester
8/19 - Mount Sinai Icahn School of Medicine
8/19 - Ohio State University
8/19 - New York Medical College / Westchester Medical Center
8/19 - Loma Linda University
8/22 - Allegheny General Hospital
8/25 - UTHSC-Memphis
8/26 - Mayo Clinic, Arizona
9/2 - Cook County
9/2 - Detroit Medical Center /Wayne State University
9/6 - Mayo Clinic, Florida
9/6 - Rush University Medical Center
9/6 - Hartford
9/6 - Montefiore
9/12 - St. Elizabeth Boston

Waitlisted
8/19 - U of Maryland (AMG, external)

Rejections
7/19, 8/9 - WashU/B-JH/SLCH
8/4 - Columbia-NYP
8/5, 8/18, 9/2 - Michigan
8/9 - Georgetown
8/10 - Duke
8/15 - Mayo Rochester
8/17 - Brown
8/18 - Colorado/UC Denver
8/19 - University of Maryland
8/19 - UCSD
8/19 - University of Massachusetts
8/19 - New York Medical College
8/21 - U of New Mexico
8/22, 8/24 - UChicago
8/23 - Indiana University
8/23 - University of Florida (Gainesville)
8/23, 9/6 - MGH
8/23 - Hopkins
8/23, 9/26 - UTSW
8/24 - Thomas Jefferson
8/25 - Cooper University
8/25, 9/20 - University of Connecticut
8/29 - William Beaumont Hospital
8/29 - University of Utah
8/29 - Boston University
8/29 - Creighton University
8/30 - University of South Florida
8/31 - Texas A&M College of Medicine-Scott and White
8/31 - University of Arkansas
8/31 - Ohio State
8/31 - UCLA
9/1 - Vanderbilt
9/1 - University of Minnesota
9/1, 9/2 - University of Illinois Chicago
9/2 - Hennepin County
9/2 - Kansas University Medical Center
9/2, 9/6 - University of Kentucky
9/3 - BIDMC
9/4 - Palmetto Health/University of South Carolina School of Medicine
9/6 - Cook County
9/6 - Scripps
9/9 - Geisinger
9/10 - Mayo Clinic - Arizona
9/12 - Emory
9/16 - Univ of Wisconsin
9/16 - Vidant, NC,
9/16 - LSU, New Orleans
9/16 - Tulane
9/19 - Cook County
9/19 - Kettering Health,Ohio
9/19 - NY Methodist
9/20 - Cleveland Clinic
9/20 - Univ of Louisville
10/4 - USC
10/7 - Northwestern

Anyone want to comment on for "what makes it a great cardiology program?!"

I believe, volume of patients, well known faculty, research opportunity, and good work environment. Anything else?!

One size doesn't fit all. Each will have their own expectation, Throw in your ideas which will help everyone to choose a best program.

It is predominantly African American program and they will most likely prefer them. I think that is what they mean by minority. I think it is worth trying if you have less or no interviews otherwise not worth time and money.

How late is too late to send out thank you notes? I interviewed somewhere on Oct 5th and their last interview is Oct 19th. Is it ok to send my thank you notes on Oct 10th ( 5 days after the interview)? Thank you

it's never too late... they understand you are busy with work, traveling around, interviewing...

My rule of thumb is usually a week is a good time to wait to send a thank you interview.

Hi all,
Thanks in advance for your help. Does anyone have any input on the following programs:
-OHSU
-UT Southwestern
How would you rank them and why? Thanks again!

One of the places that I interviewed at has intensivists rather than residents in the main hospital's CCU. What are the advantages and disadvantages of that? Thank you

it's never too late... they understand you are busy with work, traveling around, interviewing...

I've been on both sides of this and although I've been a lifelong handwritten thank you note person, I send email thank yous for interviews. Pros and cons to both.

Thanks those who've replied to my earlier posts.

How would you compare UCSF vs UCSD for someone interested in interventional cardiology?

Guys, How would you rank these programs :

- Hartford/U Conn
- Allegheny
- UKMC (University of Kansas)
- Grand rapids /MSU
- SLU
-Cook County

I've been on both sides of this and although I've been a lifelong handwritten thank you note person, I send email thank yous for interviews. Pros and cons to both.

I personally find the whole thank you note business utterly disingenuous. But I did it, and wrote email notes.

invitation for interview at Wright state University 10.7.16

My mentor spoke on the phone with one of the interviewers of a program that I like and this is what he texted back to me:

"Talked to Dr.....it went really well he said you were one of the people that they really liked. He said "she's not
in our top five but she's definitely in the upper echelon" He asked me how interested you were in the program and I said Very and that you would be ranking
them highly as I suggested to you and I told him you would be sending them a note to that effect. So I think this is all good."

So based on the above conversation, it seems that the rest is luck and where the top people on the list would rank this program! The only thing is that my mentor has told the interviewer that I will be sending them a note in that effect (ranking high). I had already done that to all the interviewers 24 hours after the interview and do not think sending the second one would help and may only hurt. What do you think?

Thank you very much

It depends how you word it in second email. You can tell them that you have visited all the programs and out of all of them that you really liked this program and will be ranking it very highly. Hope this note will meet that effect

Do you consider it a bad sign not to receive a business card?

I have received few business cards and few interviewers explicitly told me that I am a good fit for their program. I wonder how often you guys experience that?

Last edited:
Can anyone compare Cleveland Clinic with Cedars-Sinai specifically with regards to interventional training, with an interest in structural?

Thanks!

Hi all,
Thanks in advance for your help. Does anyone have any input on the following programs:
-OHSU
-UT Southwestern
How would you rank them and why? Thanks again!

You (and not someone on SDN) probably have a better idea of which program is better for YOU based on what you gathered from the interview day, how you felt about the program and how they fit with your goals.

Thanks those who've replied to my earlier posts.

How would you compare UCSF vs UCSD for someone interested in interventional cardiology?

See above. If you want to get into specifics, probably best to actually ask the program rather than the internet.

Do you consider it a bad sign not to receive a business card?

I have received few business cards and few interviewers explicitly told me that I am a good fit for their program. I wonder how often you guys experience that?

Take everything with a grain of salt, it all doesn't mean much.

Can anyone compare Cleveland Clinic with Cedars-Sinai specifically with regards to interventional training, with an interest in structural?

Thanks!

You're starting to get into specifics here which probably no one will know best except current/former fellows, probably best to contact the program with these types of questions.

do you guys recommend ranking a program based on your perception of your chances of matching there (esp if you received good feedback from the program) or based solely on your preference even if you feel you may not be ranked highly at a particular program?

Very difficult question, NRMP I think says it does not matter, you rank based on your preference.

Following up on a prior post, it's a bit nerve-recking when you visit programs who all boast ranking their first "6 out of 8"- which makes is clear that they are ranking applicants highly who have ranked that program #1. My concern with this is though, if an applicant does match with the program he/she chose as #1, that person could drop dramatically down his/her rank list since all other programs are choosing people that they know also preferenced them.

How do you guys rank these programs. they are very close to me even after the interview. I want to do general cardiology.

University of Kansas
University of Cincinnati
Henry ford
Creighton
University of Nebraska
Mount Sinai Saint Luke
SUNY upstate

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: