Official 2016-2017 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am applying,
University IM program
250+ on USMLE steps
4 LOR - 1 From Canadian PD, 1 from Chief of Med (Hep), 1 Current PD and 1 from (Clinic)
1 Article DDS (Liver) - Pubmed
1 Current Research -- ongoing
1 Current paper (DD) submitted not accepted yet.
9 Posters,
--- 1 AACR
--- 2 ACG
Precision Medicine Advocate award
2 Books (For USMLE and Canadian Exams)

over 110 programs.

Last edited:
I am applying,
University IM program
250+ on steps
4 LOR - 1 From Canadian PD, 1 from Chief of Med (Hep), 1 Current PD and 1 from (Clinic)
9 Posters,
--- 1 AACR
--- 2 ACG

over 110 programs.

Now the question is Do I have any chance ? :)

good chance. but can you explain canadian PD letter?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In!
Step 1: 244, Step 2: 253, Step 3: 249
Big University program in the SE
Manuscripts: 3 published (2 from before residency), 2 submitted
Case reports: 2
Editorial: 1
Abstracts: 6 (6 more submitted to ACG)
Green card; approved for citizenship (waiting for the oath).
Applying to 40 programs. Avoiding any Ivy league programs to save money (just being realistic).

Hope this cycle goes well for all of us!

In!
Applying to 40 programs. Avoiding any Ivy league programs to save money (just being realistic).

wow :). I don't know how you guys do it.

I will apply but I am unsure what my chances are:

Last edited:
I am applying this year

University IM program

240+ on step 1 and 2, 220+ on Step 3

4 LOR - 1 From Current PD, 1 from Chief of Med , 2 from GI faculty
1 Image of the Month- AJG - Pubmed
5 Case Reports -- Pubmed
17 Posters (ACP, ACG, DDW) including 3 recently submitted
Gold Humanism Honor Society award

Green Card

What are my chances for a fellowship ?

Any idea which programs are ranked top 20 for fellowship training ?

What's a good number of programs to apply to? Still can't make up my mind.

What's a good number of programs to apply to? Still can't make up my mind.
I was told to apply to 25-30 programs by my fellowship director. That seems a bit too low. Here is the list of programs I have saved on ERAS. I would love to cut it down to 40. Any suggestions on which ones I should delete?

Attachments

• List of programs.docx
    13.7 KB · Views: 208
I was told to apply to 25-30 programs by my fellowship director. That seems a bit too low. Here is the list of programs I have saved on ERAS. I would love to cut it down to 40. Any suggestions on which ones I should delete?

Please copy paste your list. thx.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the early opening for ERAS new this year? apps can be submitted as of 6/6 as opposed to 6/15. Some of the letter writers are behind because they think another week is still available for submission. Any thoughts on submitting without all 4 letters and then adding them in as they upload or just wait since programs can't open your app till the 15th anyway.

Is the early opening for ERAS new this year? apps can be submitted as of 6/6 as opposed to 6/15. Some of the letter writers are behind because they think another week is still available for submission. Any thoughts on submitting without all 4 letters and then adding them in as they upload or just wait since programs can't open your app till the 15th anyway.
Yes it's new. I can't quite figure out what the purpose of it is, other than to induce innumerable questions on SDN about whether it matters if you upload on the 6th or the 15th.

Short answer is that it doesn't matter.

apologies if this is located elsewhere - are people who have ACG submissions pending submitting on 7/15 regardless or trying to wait for selection notification one way or the other?

I think as long as it is before the 15th it would be preferable to wait until all four letters are uploaded.

I only have 2 LORs uploaded, two others, the attendings have replied back they be out till 11th of June.
Would this cause an issue if I apply on 15th with 2 LORs and update when the other LORs is uploaded.

Honestly my letter writers didn't have everything in on the 15th, I submitted the next day, with I believe only 2 letters uploaded. I got my first interview invite 4 days later (with only 2 letters). The letters got uploaded within a few weeks, and I ended up with 16 interview invites. PDs know it can take time for letters, they will re-download applications periodically if they even start looking at them in the first few weeks. Some programs don't even send out invites until surprisingly late in the season (looking at you SUNY Downstate, last season). Realistically, you'll be fine.

Honestly my letter writers didn't have everything in on the 15th, I submitted the next day, with I believe only 2 letters uploaded. I got my first interview invite 4 days later (with only 2 letters). The letters got uploaded within a few weeks, and I ended up with 16 interview invites. PDs know it can take time for letters, they will re-download applications periodically if they even start looking at them in the first few weeks. Some programs don't even send out invites until surprisingly late in the season (looking at you SUNY Downstate, last season). Realistically, you'll be fine.

Thanks you

I am applying,
University IM program
250+ on steps
9 Posters,
--- 1 AACR
--- 2 ACG

over 110 programs.

Now the question is Do I have any chance ? :)
What are your USMLE scores? I guess a lot also depends of our USMLE scores

Hi Guys,

I am also applying this year

University affiliated community IM program
220, 240 on steps

4 LORs - 1 from Current PD, 1 from Chair of GI , 1 Chair of IBD and 1 from Director of Endoscopy
10 papers (3 first author) - Pubmed
5 first author papers in-press (1 in CGH, coming next month!)
2 papers submitted
1 pilot prospective study -- ongoing
Numerous retrospective studies
37 posters (DDW + ACG) + 1 Oral (this DDW)
--- 12 abstracts submitted to ACG (Vegas baby!)

2 Book Chapters (in press, won't be published till next year)

on H1B visa. May take J1 if necessary.

I'm applying to 100 programs. I hope I have a chance.

Are you just looking for compliments when you say "I hope I have a chance" after you list your 910 publications or are you a troll? Either way, chill out.. You're annoying. Obviously you have a chance.

Not at all. Just a bit apprehensive, that's all!

Thank you :)

Hi Guys,

I am also applying this year

University affiliated community IM program
220, 240 on steps

4 LORs - 1 from Current PD, 1 from Chair of GI , 1 Chair of IBD and 1 from Director of Endoscopy
10 papers (3 first author) - Pubmed
5 first author papers in-press (1 in CGH, coming next month!)
2 papers submitted
1 pilot prospective study -- ongoing
Numerous retrospective studies
37 posters (DDW + ACG) + 1 Oral (this DDW)
--- 12 abstracts submitted to ACG (Vegas baby!)

2 Book Chapters (in press, won't be published till next year)

on H1B visa. May take J1 if necessary.

I'm applying to 100 programs. I hope I have a chance.

impressive if this is real O_O

also hoping ACG comes out soon. came out 7/13 last year :(

Last edited:
We all are, but it's apparent you know you're a good candidate. Just chill out and wait for your interviews that will come.

I was saying that because I'm an IMG from a community program on a H1 visa. Anyways, will see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

impressive if this is real O_O

also hoping ACG comes out soon. came out 7/13 last year :(

I really wish I had enough free time to troll. I'm definitely not.

ACG takes its sweet time. Last year I didn't even get any email of acceptance. I logged into the conference abstract site and all the invitations were there!

I was saying that because I'm an IMG from a community program on a H1 visa. Anyways, will see what happens.

how on God's green earth did you get that much research done without the backing of an academic program?

Stealing below from the pulmonary/critical care thread! Let's keep track like last year.

Please enter your interview program in the appropriate category, along with the date you received it, and then copy and paste it into your post.

AMG:

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

how on God's green earth did you get that much research done without the backing of an academic program?

I did all the work at the place where my program is affiliated with. All GI letters are from there!

I did all the work at the place where my program is affiliated with. All GI letters are from there!

idontbelieveyou.png

Sorry, maybe I am wrong. I didn't mean to be unfriendly, it's just a very interesting profile you have without being a troll. I'm impressed with your CV and have no idea how that's possible. Good luck! :)

Haha thanks. It's all good. I'm definitely not a trolling! :)

please do not break the integrity of this forum. This is the reason why I don't come on forums for the first place.

ACG email came

@ vaibhavmanu. its a compliment. the amount of research you said you have done is pretty impressive bordering on incredulous.

This year we can accept interviews via ERAS. Thi is nice.

In!

I suggest you apply to IMG friendly Ivy league programs too. I believe you have a good chance there too!

please do not break the integrity of this forum. This is the reason why I don't come on forums for the first place.

ACG email came

Yeah, now I'm wondering If I should've waited for the email before applying!

UCLA's application deadline is today. 2 of my LORs are uploaded but not available. I was planning on applying with a complete application mid-week once my LORs are available.

What to do?! Forget UCLA and move on?
or take a chance and submit application now knowing that 2 LORs will not be submitted with the initial app?

Submit and assign letters as they come in. I can't imagine a program not accepting late letters as it seems it's pretty common to not have all your letters in on time.

Hello All,
I am applying this year also. I am an IMG , letters from strong names, 9 Publications between Articles, posters and oral presentations. My USMLE score are in the 210-215. I really worked hard to overcome my average scores. I am a little scared that my scores will filter me out?
Thank you all, hope it works out for each one of you!
Best Regards!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys,
My scores are in 220s-230s, have an attempt on CS.
LORs from PD, GME director, Chair of hepatology and assistant professor of GI.
I am from a small university hospital.
Have 9-10 abstracts, orals and posters.
3 research projects on going. One review article and one book chapter waiting to be published.
Need visa.
I am kinda scared about my chances. I wonder if I should be looking for back ups like hospitalist opportunities with this CV.

Good luck to all of us

Last edited:
Hi guys,
My scores are in 220s-230s, have an attempt on CS.
LORs from PD, GME director, Chair of hepatology and assistant professor of GI.
I am from a small university hospital.
Have 9-10 abstracts, orals and posters.
3 research projects on going. One review article and one book chapter waiting to be published.
Need visa.
I am kinda scared about my chances. I wonder if I should be looking for back ups like hospitalist opportunities with this CV.

Good luck to all of us

What does an attempt on CS mean? I thought you had to know results before matching to IM? I think you have a good chance as long as you didn't fail any steps with those scores :)

However, I do not understand these what are my chances posts. We have all not been through the match yet and are not program directors ourselves, so we have no idea what the chances of each other matching are. Best idea in my opinion is to ask the program director or their associate(s) at your home program.

I a
What does an attempt on CS mean? I thought you had to know results before matching to IM? I think you have a good chance as long as you didn't fail any steps with those scores :)

However, I do not understand these what are my chances posts. We have all not been through the match yet and are not program directors ourselves, so we have no idea what the chances of each other matching are. Best idea in my opinion is to ask the program director or their associate(s) at your home program.
I agree we are no program directors but some of us might have friends who matched in GI last year and hence can guide us.
By attempt on CS, I mean, I failed CS once :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.