Official 2016-2017 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
My scores are in 220s-230s, have an attempt on CS.
LORs from PD, GME director, Chair of hepatology and assistant professor of GI.
I am from a small university hospital.
Have 9-10 abstracts, orals and posters.
3 research projects on going. One review article and one book chapter waiting to be published.
Need visa.
I am kinda scared about my chances. I wonder if I should be looking for back ups like hospitalist opportunities with this CV.

Good luck to all of us

Have a friend last year who "attempted CS" and had a successful match. They overall had a strong application but an "attempted CS" doesn't preclude you from matching.

Members don't see this ad.

2 IVs (One by phone , one by email).
1 other email from PD stating they are waiting for my file to be completed and reviewing for consideration of invite for IV. But he send info on the program and sample contract and benefits. So I don't know, maybe is a invite.

Reactions: 1 users
2 IVs (One by phone , one by email).
1 other email from PD stating they are waiting for my file to be completed and reviewing for consideration of invite for IV. But he send info on the program and sample contract and benefits. So I don't know, maybe is a invite.
Awesome. You rock! congrats.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind sharing the info about those programs?

seems like less GI programs participating in the match this year compared to years past.

What do you mean? What's the difference compared to last year and specifically which ones did you notice?

Also, congrats ShiShi!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What do you mean? What's the difference compared to last year and specifically which ones did you notice?

Also, congrats ShiShi!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

could be misinterpreting the data but there are 161 programs participating in the match this year from eras. NRMP matching data in 2015 showed 181 programs and 179 in 2016

ShiShiMD, please post the programs where you received interviews.

as per poopybutt:

"Please enter your interview program in the appropriate category, along with the date you received it, and then copy and paste it into your post. "

AMG:

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

Cheers!

AMG: Mayo (MN, AZ) [7/18]

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

The other one was from Mayo FL but no invite they just send contract and benefits.

awesome! thx.

also, is your profile pic from a Miyazaki film?! Ponyo? I'm a Howl's Moving Castle fan, myself ;)

Good luck on this season everyone!

AMG:
Mayo (MN): ShiShiMD (7/18)
Mayo (AZ): ShiShiMD (7/18)

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess, AMGs like ShiShiMD will receive interview invites first and then the rest.

I guess, AMGs like ShiShiMD will receive interview invites first and then the rest.

To clarify I am not an American Medical School Graduate, I am not an IMG either. But my school of graduation is ACGME/LMCC approved.

Hi guys,
My scores are in 220s-230s, have an attempt on CS.
LORs from PD, GME director, Chair of hepatology and assistant professor of GI.
I am from a small university hospital.
Have 9-10 abstracts, orals and posters.
3 research projects on going. One review article and one book chapter waiting to be published.
Need visa.
I am kinda scared about my chances. I wonder if I should be looking for back ups like hospitalist opportunities with this CV.

Good luck to all of us

Does your program offer GI ? if so your biggest chance is your program.

Hello All,
I am applying this year also. I am an IMG , letters from strong names, 9 Publications between Articles, posters and oral presentations. My USMLE score are in the 210-215. I really worked hard to overcome my average scores. I am a little scared that my scores will filter me out?
Thank you all, hope it works out for each one of you!
Best Regards!

You need to get your letter writers to call their connections in places they have pulls. This is how you can for sure overcome the below average scores.

To clarify I am not an American Medical School Graduate, I am not an IMG either. But my school of graduation is ACGME/LMCC approved.

Does your program offer GI ? if so your biggest chance is your program.
No, unfortunately my program does not offer GI fellowship.

Hi everyone, what is the consensus on submitting the application prior to all four letters being released? I have 2 letters released, pending 2 more (one of the pending ones is my PD letter). The two that are pending are actually uploaded but likely won't be released until Friday the 22nd (at the earliest). What do you guys think? Thanks for the info, good luck to everyone!

Oh also:

American graduate from foreign school
Residency at community program w/ university affiliation; Currently a PGY-4 chief
4 LOR: chair of med, med PD, GI PD and GI chief of endo
3 pubmed articles
1 pubmed case
9 posters (national ACG and local ACP/SGIM)
1 current review article, in early stages

AMG:
Methodist Health System (Dallas, Tx): Gastro9 (7/19)

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

AMG:
Duke: JLC(7/19)

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

Hi everyone, what is the consensus on submitting the application prior to all four letters being released? I have 2 letters released, pending 2 more (one of the pending ones is my PD letter). The two that are pending are actually uploaded but likely won't be released until Friday the 22nd (at the earliest). What do you guys think? Thanks for the info, good luck to everyone!

The consensus is the same as it always has been. Just submit. How is this even a question anymore? We've been giving the same answer for 10 years now.

@ShiShiMD Did Mayo AZ happen to mention dates they're doing interviews?

@nmfms

August 4
August 5
Sept 1
Sept 2
Sept 8
Sept 9
Sept 11
Sept 12
Sept 27
Sept 28
Sept 29
Oct 6
Oct 7
Oct 20
Oct 21

If these dates do not work for you, please let us know when you would be available.

AMG:
Baylor (7/20)

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

AMG:
Baylor (7/20)
University of Missouri-Columbia: Gastro9 (7/20)

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

The consensus is the same as it always has been. Just submit. How is this even a question anymore? We've been giving the same answer for 10 years now.

Well, I'm new here and I didn't see a definitive answer, so I asked. Not exactly a huge deal. Anyway, thanks for the confirmation.

AMG:
Baylor (7/20)

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

Awesome! I didn't think things would get going so soon. Out of curiosity, who heard from Baylor & was it dated incorrectly on this list? Also, is this Baylor Houston or Baylor Dallas?

Thanks!

Did anyone else receive e-mails from Hopkins and UCSF asking for a supplemental application?

Did anyone else receive e-mails from Hopkins and UCSF asking for a supplemental application?

UCSF. Not really supplementary application. Just information about track (Clinical, Research) and focus (luminal, liver)

AMG:
Baylor (7/20)
Oschner (7/21)
IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

It seems as if IMGs are not getting any interviews:(

AMG:
Baylor (7/20)
Oschner (7/21)
IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa

Oschner(7/21) katgi

It seems as if IMGs are not getting any interviews:(
It is too early but remember IMGs will get interviews only from 40 to 50 of the total available programs. And not everyone would honestly add all their interviews. This is a leech forum like bittorrent. very few seeders, lot of leechers. Most IMGs needing visa ll get about 5 interviews. Make the most of what you get.

I agree - isn't it way too early to be worrying about not getting interview invites yet? Applications have been out for only a week!
Everyone I talked to from last year who matched at top programs started getting the bulk of their interview invites mid-august! If others have different experiences, please feel free to share, but I just don't want people to feel unnecessarily stressed or worried for no reason. Good luck everyone!

AMG:
Cincinnati (OH): ibdgirl (7/18)
Baylor (7/20)
Oschner (7/21)
IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa

Oschner(7/21) katgi

Last edited:
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anybody could provide me some input. I have 4 LORs already submitted, one is from G.I. and three are from program director/associate program directors. I have one more LOR from G.I. pending, however my letter writer informed me he will not be able to upload until the first week of August. My question is, should I just go ahead and apply the 4 LORs that are currently available as it is already one week past the application date, or should I wait for my second G.I. LOR to come through so I will have two from G.I. and two from medicine?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anybody could provide me some input. I have 4 LORs already submitted, one is from G.I. and three are from program director/associate program directors. I have one more LOR from G.I. pending, however my letter writer informed me he will not be able to upload until the first week of August. My question is, should I just go ahead and apply the 4 LORs that are currently available as it is already one week past the application date, or should I wait for my second G.I. LOR to come through so I will have two from G.I. and two from medicine?

Apply now .

Hem onc applicant here.
I think you should apply now. If you anticipate that the second GI LOR will be very good so apply now with the PD, 1 GI, 1 medicine and wait for the 4th GI LOR. Generally speaking most programs would prefer a second GI LOR in oppose to a Medicine LOR, but are also OK with only one GI LOR.

apply now. not sure what the right choice is, but i'd upload the 4 letters I have now. waiting until the first week of august + 5 business days to upload is quite a long time.

AMG:
Cincinnati (OH): ibdgirl (7/18) (7/23)

Baylor (7/20)
Oschner (7/21)
IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa

Oschner(7/21) katgi

AMG:
Baylor (7/20)
Oschner (7/21)
Wakeforest (7/25): interview dates Sept 17, Sept 24

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa
Oschner(7/21) katgi

Well these have been some long, silent few days. I know it's early but still quite irritating. Blah.

AMG:
Baylor (7/20)
Oschner (7/21)
Wakeforest (7/25)

IMG w/o visa required:

University of Florida- Jacksonville: knas0 (7/22)

IMG requiring visa
Oschner(7/21) katgi

Last edited:
Question about the USMLE filters: how much of a factor is it? Do all programs use the USMLEs as a cutoff? I'm worried I'm being filtered out by the scores (based on the number of interviews I got last year).

Question about the USMLE filters: how much of a factor is it? Do all programs use the USMLEs as a cutoff? I'm worried I'm being filtered out by the scores (based on the number of interviews I got last year).
programs usually dont spend a lot of time reviewing each and every application and they get quite a lot of competitive applicants. Visa is a factor that many programs that dont intend to pick IMGs apply by default. More than scores, programs look at where u did residency and who wrote letters for you. But when they consider for iv or ranking, a low score/attempt is bad on V and so they may put you on rejection list

Status
Not open for further replies.