Official 2016-2017 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I applied but they did not invite me. It's famous for Myeloma, but somebody wrote here that fellows don't rotate on it.
Thank you, Droption. I will let you know after my interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking to swap interview dates but NOT cancel any of the following:

USC have 10/7 looking for 10/28
UCSD have 10/14 looking for 10/28 or 10/7
UC Davis have 10/14 looking for 9/23

Have U Vermont IV on 9/30 and have to go to state oncology meeting for a presentation.

Anyone kind enough to swap with me.

From the dates Vermont gave us on invite, I think I am free on:
October 10 - Monday or,
October 24 - Monday.

MUSC and either Tufts or Monte depending on geographical preference.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi gutonc. I am an IMG, on green card, step 1 in 240s, step2 in 250s, current chief medical resident. I want to stay in academics in gastrointestinal oncology, 4-5 publications in peer reviewed journals, 3 bookchapters, current lab work. I want to cancel 5-7 of the following interviews:
1- Mount Sinai
2- Tufts
3- University of Cincinnati
4- University of Minnesota
5- Baylor (Houston)
6- UT Southwestern
7- Boston University
8- University of Buffalo

What do you advise? Thanks!

My last invite was 2 weeks ago. It seems that the invites are almost done now.
Being an IMG, got 8 interviews and I am satisfied with the middle-low tier invites as I know its tough specially me not being a stellar applicant.

Continue to look for swap

NIH 9/30, looking for 10/14 or 10/28
Tulane 10/7, looking for 10/28

Thanks!

Hi gutonc. I am an IMG, on green card, step 1 in 240s, step2 in 250s, current chief medical resident. I want to stay in academics in gastrointestinal oncology, 4-5 publications in peer reviewed journals, 3 bookchapters, current lab work. I want to cancel 5-7 of the following interviews:
1- Mount Sinai
2- Tufts
3- University of Cincinnati
4- University of Minnesota
5- Baylor (Houston)
6- UT Southwestern
7- Boston University
8- University of Buffalo

What do you advise? Thanks!
Assuming you've got another 10 or so interviews...

Keep Sinai and UTSW, maybe Baylor.

Would anyone know anything about the Hematology/Oncology program at Advocate in Park Ridge, IL? I cannot find much information about it anywhere on the interwebs. Thx.

Does anyone have any info about Providence Hospital and Medical Centers in Michigan? How does it compares to Suny downstate? What I know so far is that they have 3 positions(1do and 2 md), community hospital and rotate at karmanos for 6 months.

I don't have enough dates to go to both ivs and I need to choose.

thanks

p.s. - planning to have an academic career, could be in hematology or oncology.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any info about Providence Hospital and Medical Centers in Michigan? How does it compares to Suny downstate? What I know so far is that they have 3 positions(1do and 2 md), community hospital and rotate at karmanos for 6 months.

I don't have enough dates to go to both ivs and I need to choose.

thanks

p.s. - planning to have an academic career, could be in hematology or oncology.
Neither of those places will set you up for an academic career of any sort. Pick the place you'd rather live.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody know about the program in Mount Sinai Beth Israel? Seems like they do malignant heme and BMT rotations in Sinai..

Well, they're downsizing from an 825 bed hospital to a 70 bed hospital. So that's probably the first question you should ask...maybe before you buy your plane ticket.
Thanks for your input..

I am looking to switch my interview date at UMass Oct. 6 to their Sept. 29th date. Can anyone do this switch with me? Please PM me.

Does anybody know about the program in Mount Sinai Beth Israel? Seems like they do malignant heme and BMT rotations in Sinai..

I've just realized that Saint luke is also not offering a Hem Onc fellowship. So, maybe Saint luke and Beth Israel combined their fellowship programs since both belong to Mount Sinai now.

Hi GutOnc..do you know about the program in Levine Cancer Institute/Carolinas Health Care.. Seems like they are quiet strong in hem malignancies..

Hi Guys,

Does anyone really know how the ranking order list works? I guess, when a program invites you, they already have a pre ranking order list, don't you think? I am sure the interview process is important, but would that change your position from "probably will not match"to "match"? I have already interviewed in 2 good programs. In one, I felt that the PD was already predetermined to like me and was making everything possible to make me fell comfortable and the other the PD was ok, but not really that interested.
So, probably, if you are ok during the IV and was invited early in the process it means you are on their top rank order list. What you guys think?

Best

Hi Guys,

Does anyone really know how the ranking order list works? I guess, when a program invites you, they already have a pre ranking order list, don't you think? I am sure the interview process is important, but would that change your position from "probably will not match"to "match"? I have already interviewed in 2 good programs. In one, I felt that the PD was already predetermined to like me and was making everything possible to make me fell comfortable and the other the PD was ok, but not really that interested.
So, probably, if you are ok during the IV and was invited early in the process it means you are on their top rank order list. What you guys think?

Best
Every program is different. There are certainly pre-conceived notions when people are invited. But that's all based on what you look like on paper. I have seen more than one person tank their stellar looking app with a terrible interview (including one guy when I was chief fellow who, after the lunch with the current fellows, every single one of us went to the PDs office and said we'd quit if he matched with us...he was DNR). Also seen people with mediocre looking apps really shine during interview and get ranked better than their CV would suggest.

You can't do anything about this and trying to game the system will end in tragedy for you.

Go to your interviews. Do the best you can. Rank the programs the way you like them. Cross your fingers on Match Day.

Reactions: 1 users
Gut onc or anyone else,
Any idea on NSLIJ NORTHWELL, NY program? STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES?

Hi Guys,

Best

I was in a large residency program and when I was a PGY-3, our PD explained his rationale for IVs. He was a fellowship PD for 10 years then went on to be an IM PD.
For residency, he said that the interview is more of "make sure you're not a psychopath". That being said, they rank applicants in quintiles prior to inviting them. After interviewing them, the applicants move very little in ranking, at best they move one whole quintile. Someone at the bottom of a third quintile can move to the top of the third or someone at the top of the third quintile can move to the second. Alternatively, someone can fall off the list completely (tests positive for psychopath).

For fellowship, they still want to make sure the psychopath element is not there but the interview is more of "Can I work with this guy (or gal) for 3 years?" and "Can this guy (or gal) bring something to this institution and actually give it a good reputation?".

In my opinion, I agree with you, people move very little in ranks based on their interviews and you can tell on interview day how bad they want you (or not).

Reactions: 1 user
So I can only interview at 2 of these 3 places due to conflicts with dates. I'm an IMG, need a visa and I'm looking to go in to an academic career in solids (probably GI). I would prefer to be in a medium sized city ahead of a small town but I don't have any specific geographic preference. Any thoughts on how these programs stack up objectively/by reputation?
1. Mayo Jacksonville
2. U Cincinnati
3. U Kentucky

UCSF Fresno today.

Any new IVS and rejections (Please bold the new IVs added to keep track of changes)

Got rejection from nebraska today.

Allegheny Health/West Penn Pittsburgh ** 8/12
Augusta (8/15)***
Baylor (Dallas) (07/29)***
Baylor (Houston) (8/14)***
Baystate (8/18)***
BIDMC (08/01)*
Boston Univ (8/2)**, (8/2)***
Brown (8/16)***
Cincinnati (8/12)*
Cleveland Clinic (9/6)*
Colorado (7/28)***
Columbia (8/16)***, (8/25)*
Cornell (8/18)***
Dana-Farber(8/11)***
Dartmouth (8/8)***
DMC/Wayne State (9/9)*
Duke (7/27) *
Drexel (08/29)** (9/8)*
(Albert) Einstein Medical Center Philly (8/5) ** (8/5)**
East Tennessee University (8/17)*
Emory (8/31)***
Fox Chase - Temple 8/6***
Georgetown 8/6***
Gunderson Lutheran, WI (8/18)**
Henry Ford (8/17)*
Hopkins (8/26)***,(8/28)*
Jefferson (8/1)
Lankenau 8/6***
Loyola 8/15***
Marshal (8/18)*
Mayo AZ (08/25)***
Mayo Jacksonville (8/24)**, (8/25)**
Mayo Rochester (9/1)**
Medical College of Wisconsin 8/12**
Methodist - Houston 8/8*, 8/10**
MD Anderson(8/18)***
Michigan (7/23)***
Michigan State (8/12)*
Moffitt (07/22)*** (7/21)*
Mount Sinai (Icahn) Medical Center (8/12)***
MSKCC (8/30)***
MUSC -Charleston (8/18)**
Nebraska (9/1)*
Newark Beth Israel Medical Center (9/9)**
Northshore LIJ (Northwell-Hofstra) (08/25)**, (08/25)**
NIH (7/25)***, 7/28**
Northwestern (8/13)***
NYU (7/25)**
Ohio State (8/26)***
Orlando health (7/21)*
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center (8/15)*
Roger Williams Hospital (8/16)***
RPCI Buffalo 8/12**, 8/31**
Rush (8/30)***
Rutgers-RWJ (7/28)***
Stanford (8/15)***
Stony Brook (8/23)**
SUNY Brooklyn (8/12)**
SUNY Downstate (8/18)**
Tulane University (08/25)**
Texas Tech Uni Health Science (7/21)**
Tufts (8/10)***
U of Arkansas (9/14)*
U of Arizona (8/22)**
UAB (08/25)**
U of Connecticut (8/16)*** (8/16)**
U of Kansas** (8/9) (8/15)***
U of Kentucky** (8/5)
U of Iowa (07/29)***, (8/22)**
U of Miami (8/12)***
U of Minnesota 8/12**(08/12)***
U of Missouri-Columbia 8/9**
U of Chicago (8/22)***
UC Irvine (8/24)*
UCLA (8/10)***
UCSD (8/23)***
UCSF(8/8)***
USCF Fresno (9/23)**
UF (7/25)*** (7/27)***
UF Jax (8/17)*** 8/18**
UIC (08/31)*** (9/8)*
UNC Chapel Hill (7/28)***
UPenn (8/16)*** (8/16)* (8/16)***
University of Maryland (7/25)***
UPMC (08/22)***
University of Rochester (8/2)***
Univ of Southern California USC (Keck SOM) (8/19)**
Utah (08/03)***
U of Tennessee (07/29)***
U of Toledo (08/25)**
UTMB (8/25)*
UT San Antonio (08/08)***
UTSW (7/22)*** (7/25) (08/05)***
Univ Vermont (8/16)**
Vanderbilt (07/29)*
VCU (07/29)***
Wake Forest (8/15)***
Wash U (7/28)*
WVU (9/5)**
U of Wisconsin (8/2)***
Yale (07/22)***; (07/19) *; (8/1)***

Rej
BIDMC (7/27)***, (7/27)***,(7/27)**
Michigan (8/1)*
NYU (8/1)***
Nebraska (9/12)**
Virginia Commonwealth University ** (7/27)
University of Maryland Medical Center ** (7/26), (7/26), (7/26)**
UNC Chapel Hill (07/25)**, (7/26) ***, (7/26)*, (7/26)***
U of Wisconsin 8/2**
Scott and White Memorial 8/10**
Dana Farber Cancer Institue 8/10**
UCLA 8/15**
Buffalo 8/17***
Univ. of Washington (8/20)***

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

Should we start commenting on program based on IVs.
I have done 3 and will start my reviews soon.

So I can only interview at 2 of these 3 places due to conflicts with dates. I'm an IMG, need a visa and I'm looking to go in to an academic career in solids (probably GI). I would prefer to be in a medium sized city ahead of a small town but I don't have any specific geographic preference. Any thoughts on how these programs stack up objectively/by reputation?
1. Mayo Jacksonville
2. U Cincinnati
3. U Kentucky
Keep Cincy and Kentucky. Ditch Miracle Whip.

1. Mayo Jacksonville
2. U Cincinnati
3. U Kentucky

Not trying to be a jerk here but the truth is none of these programs will set you up for an academic career in GI oncology if that's what you want.

I don't know much about Mayo florida but I can tell you that the hem/onc divisions at Cincy and KY are practically private practice groups disguised under "university" names. I've done all my medical training in the midwest and I know quite a few former residents and fellows at both these places and they are happy and clinically strong but there isn't real academic work going on. I'd say go interview and find out for yourself.

Anyone know about the heme/onc program at UCSF Fresno? Strengths and weaknesses? Thanks

Question:
If you want to choose in your Rank between Henry Ford vs UCLA-Olive view, which one you guys would choose? I know both are good in clinical training but not so good in Research. I am interested in clinical trials (phase1) and both will have this program.
Let me know if you know any one who had experience in both places.
Thanks
OncoScientist

Question:
If you want to choose in your Rank between Henry Ford vs UCLA-Olive view, which one you guys would choose? I know both are good in clinical training but not so good in Research. I am interested in clinical trials (phase1) and both will have this program.
Let me know if you know any one who had experience in both places.
Thanks
OncoScientist

UCLA olive view has a better reputation, but Henry ford has a very motivated phase I guy, i dont know if you interviewed with him, he does want to expand the phase I program there, and seemed like would support and expand your career. Plus i have friends in the program and the training is certainly solid.

Did anybody here interview in NSLIJ/Northwell yet?

Are programs still reviewing applications in event of cancellations?

I am not very sensitive, but ECU rejection email is the worst I've ever read.

Last edited:
Anyone know about the heme/onc program at UCSF Fresno? Strengths and weaknesses? Thanks

I think it's a good community program that started recruiting fellows last year. It has 2 fellows and they rotate in the real UCSF for bone marrow. The hospital is big and has lots of fellowships and a solid internal medicine residency. Hem Onc faculty is mainly IMG with clinical experience. In terms of location, I think California is a good state, but Fresno is not the best city.

I am not very sensitive, but ECU rejection email is the worst I've ever read.
I agree with you. I was so upset especially after the recent email this week. Very insensitive. I had the mind to email them and tell them so....

For folks who are curious on the contents of the ECU email:
BELOW IS THE TEXT

we sent out a message indicating we had made our choices for interviews.

If you did not receive a confirmation, and were scheduled for an interview, you were not chosen.

Repeated emails and phone calls are not necessary, nor will they help you procure an interview.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For folks who are curious on the contents of the ECU email:
BELOW IS THE TEXT

we sent out a message indicating we had made our choices for interviews.

If you did not receive a confirmation, and were scheduled for an interview, you were not chosen.

Repeated emails and phone calls are not necessary, nor will they help you procure an interview.
Yeah, that's pretty douche-y. But there's a reason they needed to say something like that.

...But there's a reason they needed to say something like that.

Looks like the reason they were getting calls/emails was that they sent out interview invites to more people than they had interview spots and then instead of coming clean they simply didn't reply to the people who had emailed with date choices. I don't think it was the applicants' fault to be honest.

Others can chime in if I'm mistaken. I didn't apply so I have no way of knowing for sure.

I saw their website. I am not sure what reason they have to be so proud and insensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.