Official 2016-2017 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
'Classic' was the subject of Dartmouth Hitchcock rejection this year. But they instantly came forward with explanation and apologies.

Let Down Easy Bulk E-mail - New message from Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Program Hematology and Oncology (Internal Medicine)

Members don't see this ad.

'Classic' was the subject of Dartmouth Hitchcock rejection this year. But they instantly came forward with explanation and apologies.

Let Down Easy Bulk E-mail - New message from Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Program Hematology and Oncology (Internal Medicine)
That is awesome. And I'm not surprised given how awesome their PD is.

That is awesome. And I'm not surprised given how awesome their PD is.

Sarcasm or no sarcasm? I have to say, of all of the places and people I've only met once, she made a distinctly positive memorable impression.

The ECU rejection on the other hand? Wow, I wonder who was trying to break down the doors for an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sarcasm or no sarcasm? I have to say, of all of the places and people I've only met once, she made a distinctly positive memorable impression.

The ECU rejection on the other hand? Wow, I wonder who was trying to break down the doors for an interview.
No sarcasm...for a change

Hey guys! Anyone has any idea about University of Vermont? I am looking for an academic career in hematology. Sounds like they have significant research on the website but have no inside information. Any input would be appreciated.

Interviewed at Vermont recently.

2 fellows per year. Inpatient Onc and Heme service combined (some auto Txp only as they dont do allo [20-30 autos every year], acute leukemias and some benign heme). From january 17 they are trying to make onc as primary hospitalist service with onc consults (they are not sure what they will do for heme service). Allo BMT 1 month is done at Dana Farber or to your place of liking.
Schedule: 6 months service first year (includes both onc-heme inpt service and heme consults). rest of the year is clinic.
Call: since there are 6 fellows; call is divided equally among fellows; every 6th weekday you are on call. and weekends are separate call with every 6th weekend for both saturday, sunday.
Fellowrun Continity Clinic in 3rd year with a communiy oncologist who sees everything. They are trying to hire 1 more and start fellow run continuity clinic from 2nd year onwards.
Program is very strong on benign heme, specially on thrombosis. One of the 3rd year fellows just got a 50k ASH grant or sth. Basic science research in benign heme is also active there is some of the labs. Cancer genetics is active there too. There is a benign heme thrombosis track that you can take.
Burlington-Vermont is a beautiful city in fall and summer, college town like. But winters suck there unless you are a ski fanatic which i heard is awesome there. Traffic was abit heavy in evening and morning. All patients are insured i heard. Was a refugee relocation for Bosnia, Nepal, Vietnam so some diversity there. But not very diverse in cuisine, except Asian. Lots of chef run eateries and maybe concerts etc.
Fellows seemed happy and cordial among each other. Attendings are very friendly and most of them moved there and stayed for years.
Expenses: Housing as posh 1 BR apt at 1000$ pm in city as per the fellow.

In a nutshell, I am glad I made the trip to see the program as it made me make appropriate conclusions. I would strongly recommend to go visit if you want to benign Heme.

Last edited:
I don't want this post to come off the wrong way--I've been blessed with some great interviews, but I do have a question.

I feel like the NCI used to be the premier cancer center in the world and many of the leaders in oncology now trained there, however looking over their recent match lists the pedigree of their fellows seems to have dwindled which doesn't make sense to me. The institution is brimming with research opportunities, the area is beautiful and in one of the most desirable places in the country, and the fellowship is super chill/low stress. The only perceived detriment is relatively weaker clinical training, however I would think most hardcore oncology folks would relish the larger focus on research.

I guess my question is why is the NIH not attracting the same talent as DFCI, sloan, and MDAnderson-- am I missing something here?

I guess my question is why is the NIH not attracting the same talent as DFCI, sloan, and MDAnderson-- am I missing something here?

This is why:

The only perceived detriment is relatively weaker clinical training

People don't go to NIH to get good clinical training. You get rotated off to other institutions to meet the bare minimum clinical requirements. It's a special place. I tell residents if you are a physician-scientist with heavy research experience and know how to write grants and get funding and this's what you want to do for the rest of your life then go for it. On the other hand, if you're not sure what you want to do in 5 years or you "think you like academics" but haven't done any substantial high-impact research work, going to the NIH is a waste of your time and their time. You're gonna be miserable for 2-3 years and graduate barely knowing how to manage bread and butter hem/onc. You can still find a private practice job but you'll have to play catch up for quite some time.

By the way, the same applies in different degrees to DFCI, MSKCC, MDACC or any heavy academic place. It's just more glorified at NIH.

Reactions: 1 user
This is why:

People don't go to NIH to get good clinical training. You get rotated off to other institutions to meet the bare minimum clinical requirements. It's a special place. I tell residents if you are a physician-scientist with heavy research experience and know how to write grants and get funding and this's what you want to do for the rest of your life then go for it. On the other hand, if you're not sure what you want to do in 5 years or you "think you like academics" but haven't done any substantial high-impact research work, going to the NIH is a waste of your time and their time. You're gonna be miserable for 2-3 years and graduate barely knowing how to manage bread and butter hem/onc. You can still find a private practice job but you'll have to play catch up for quite some time.

By the way, the same applies in different degrees to DFCI, MSKCC, MDACC or any heavy academic place. It's just more glorified at NIH.

Visari, good to see you back!

What about RPCI?
I kind of got the feeling that they are also very specialized and one would not good general training. I maybe mistaken and thats why I am asking.
I am asking this Q as thats the only high tier research heavy place in my interview list.

I'll review it soon based on my experience.

This is why:

Having interviewed there myself, I agree with most of the things that Visari says. If you know that you want to get into PP even before you interview there, then its probably good idea to cancel interview and save $$. As he points out it is also true for other institutions like DFCI, MSKCC etc. The only difference is that these centers have an in-house NCI designated CCC. Unlike NCI which is only a research hospital. Fellows rotate through Lombardi, Washington Hosp center, Hopkins for bread and butter oncology. There is a no doubt that it is a great place to train physician scientists. Having said that, it is what you make of it rather than what the program has to offer. It is true for that matter in any fellowship program. Of course, if one has all the resources and contacts in a big institution, it is easier for them to find mentors to work in the area of interest. I have seen good clinicians who are trained at NCI, and great physician scientists who started at a smaller places. This is just my 2 cents.

Visari, good to see you back!

What about RPCI?
I kind of got the feeling that they are also very specialized and one would not good general training. I maybe mistaken and thats why I am asking.
I am asking this Q as thats the only high tier research heavy place in my interview list.

I'll review it soon based on my experience.
RPCI is a good place for clinical training. It has a busy 1st year schedule and a relaxed 2 nd and 3 rd yr schedule. Fellows rotate through Buffalo General, ECMC and VA. I was particularly not impressed with the continuity care clinics as you don't have your own panel and you feed off of your attending patients. A total of 12 months is designated as protected research time. It is a NCI designated CCC.
It is not a top tier research place ($23 million NCI funding for '16 with 64 grant awards-source is NIH reporter-https://projectreporter.nih.gov/) but has significant presence in clinical/translational research with a lot of clinical trials. It is not a great place for basic science or Ph-I as their very successful Ph-I director recently moved to Mayo. An overwhelming majority of the fellows in the last 2-3 yrs have gone to do PP. Overall, it was my feeling that it is a good clinical training program, with some some research exposure. If you are interested in benign heme this is not a good place as fellows are shipped to Rochester Gen hospital for1 month benign heme rotation.

Hi guys!

I am currently applying to programs in the tristate area only due to family. I am actually looking into Westchester Medical Center due to area. Has anybody heard anything about this program? I haven't heard from them yet and am not sure if it is overkill to try to email the coordinator.

Opinions regarding Indiana for hematology , I interviewed there and liked the place , however I do know that its known for solid/ testicular, but does that really matter? Also, would it be crazy to rank univ of minnesota and Indiana univ above WashU??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys!

I am currently applying to programs in the tristate area only due to family. I am actually looking into Westchester Medical Center due to area. Has anybody heard anything about this program? I haven't heard from them yet and am not sure if it is overkill to try to email the coordinator.

I interviewed there 2 yrs ago, the program director was pretty old (mid 70s), had a bed in his office and said that he slept there and didnt go home if it got busy, lol. Also the deputy PD is a lady who has good research in CML but is a character, felt really weird after interviewing with her.

Pros:
- nice area, will see a variety of patients
- close of NYC, can go there on weekends if you have time

Cons (dont get me started here)
- fellows were exhausted, met a 3rd yr fellow who was more that glad to be leaving and going into a private practice
- the service was busy as in really busy, 1 fellow 2 residents and an attending were carrying around 40pts the day i interviewed there.
- you dont only stay at WMC you can be employed by either of its affiliated institutions like memorial hospital and a couple more.
- there is one hospital in which you are on call for a v long period of time, you need to confirm this but it sounded very odd to me
- fellows were frustrated as they would have to attend a tumor board at another hospital and their clinics would be at another hospital and they would be around 45 minutes apart given the bad traffic in the area
- was told to get a house in the middle of all those hospitals because they dont know where you would end up and is better to get something in between
- prices for the area were about 1 bed 1 bad for around 1350-1400 a month.

I went in feeling really good because i grew up in the westchester area and went to schools there and was looking forward to it. After my interview I was really disappointed.
Your experience may vary from mine, my 2 cents.

Opinions regarding Indiana for hematology , I interviewed there and liked the place , however I do know that its known for solid/ testicular, but does that really matter? Also, would it be crazy to rank univ of minnesota and Indiana univ above WashU??
If you're interested in malignant heme, ranking UMinn above the other 2 would be a great move.

But honestly, rank them the way you like them. I never had a good feeling at WashU, for med school, residency or fellowship. I can totally see not ranking them highly. But other people love it and thrive there. So do what seems best for you, not for some imaginary person reading your CV 5 or 10 years from now.

RPCI is a good place for clinical training. It has a busy 1st year schedule and a relaxed 2 nd and 3 rd yr schedule. Fellows rotate through Buffalo General, ECMC and VA. I was particularly not impressed with the continuity care clinics as you don't have your own panel and you feed off of your attending patients. A total of 12 months is designated as protected research time. It is a NCI designated CCC.
It is not a top tier research place ($23 million NCI funding for '16 with 64 grant awards-source is NIH reporter-https://projectreporter.nih.gov/) but has significant presence in clinical/translational research with a lot of clinical trials. It is not a great place for basic science or Ph-I as their very successful Ph-I director recently moved to Mayo. An overwhelming majority of the fellows in the last 2-3 yrs have gone to do PP. Overall, it was my feeling that it is a good clinical training program, with some some research exposure. If you are interested in benign heme this is not a good place as fellows are shipped to Rochester Gen hospital for1 month benign heme rotation.

Thanks PD1/PDL1.

My 2 cents on RPCI,

Pros were
that it has good volume, some good attendings, NCCN center (I know it doesnt mean much for fellowship).
No overnight calls. Fellows do call only from 4:30pm to 6pm.
First year busy and clinical heavy, so if I am undecided about future goals, I can take an year to decide about my focus.
On clinical months, u work weekends and get a day off every week on weekday.
Fellows were published academically before joining.

Cons:
No continuity Clinics and I dont think that is happening anytime soon.
Several EMRs, atleast 3: VA, RPCI and UB. Still use Allscripts outpt and Sunrise Citrix inpt. And no plans to change or integrate system.
Benign Heme is just 1-2 months at Rochester General Hospital, so not a great place for benign heme.
Lost some faculty. leukemia head passed away last year in a ski accident. Lymphoma guy left. Fellows said they are hiring new attendings.

Thanks so much MD46!

I interviewed there 2 yrs ago, the program director was pretty old (mid 70s), had a bed in his office and said that he slept there and didnt go home if it got busy, lol. Also the deputy PD is a lady who has good research in CML but is a character, felt really weird after interviewing with her.

Pros:
- nice area, will see a variety of patients
- close of NYC, can go there on weekends if you have time

Cons (dont get me started here)
- fellows were exhausted, met a 3rd yr fellow who was more that glad to be leaving and going into a private practice
- the service was busy as in really busy, 1 fellow 2 residents and an attending were carrying around 40pts the day i interviewed there.
- you dont only stay at WMC you can be employed by either of its affiliated institutions like memorial hospital and a couple more.
- there is one hospital in which you are on call for a v long period of time, you need to confirm this but it sounded very odd to me
- fellows were frustrated as they would have to attend a tumor board at another hospital and their clinics would be at another hospital and they would be around 45 minutes apart given the bad traffic in the area
- was told to get a house in the middle of all those hospitals because they dont know where you would end up and is better to get something in between
- prices for the area were about 1 bed 1 bad for around 1350-1400 a month.

I went in feeling really good because i grew up in the westchester area and went to schools there and was looking forward to it. After my interview I was really disappointed.
Your experience may vary from mine, my 2 cents.

Hi guys , I need your advice on getting calls after some one cancels out. I received 2 interviews in the last 10 days with only 1 date given to me. Do you think it is worthwhile to go those interviews or are they just filling up the spots ? The reason I ask is that I do have an interview scheduled from before the next day and would now need to change my flights which will cost me few hundred dollars.

Hi guys , I need your advice on getting calls after some one cancels out. I received 2 interviews in the last 10 days with only 1 date given to me. Do you think it is worthwhile to go those interviews or are they just filling up the spots ? The reason I ask is that I do have an interview scheduled from before the next day and would now need to change my flights which will cost me few hundred dollars.

If it's a good place, just go ... if they invited you then they're serious about it... programs don't invite people just to fill up their interview slots

Hi, Guys. I have a question about Baylor in Houston. I had interview there a couple weeks ago. Before I went there, it was high on my list. After the interview, however, my impression changed a lot. It seems they have a LOT of the clinical rotation(11 mons first year, 10 mons second year, and 6mons in third year). The fellows don't look very happy, although we didn't have enough time to interact with fellows during interview. Anyone has any experience there? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Hi, Guys. I have a question about Baylor in Houston. I had interview there a couple weeks ago. Before I went there, it was high on my list. After the interview, however, my impression changed a lot. It seems they have a LOT of the clinical rotation(11 mons first year, 10 mons second year, and 6mons in third year). The fellows don't look very happy, although we didn't have enough time to interact with fellows during interview. Anyone has any experience there? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
27 clinical months out of a 36 month fellowship? When the RRC requires 18?

tumblr_mbyehlCTBE1rc1o0wo1_500.gif

walk away. unless all your other interviews are complete ****, just walk away

Is it annoying if I ask all my letter writers to send an email to my top choice PD? Or should I try to distribute the emails among the top 3?

Is it annoying if I ask all my letter writers to send an email to my top choice PD?

yes.
Ask your PD or mentor to send to your top choice if they know them from before. Otherwise you're wasting everybody's time

Reactions: 1 users
Hi. Would like input from attendings on my current rank list (in alphabetical order). please use reputation among academics (well rounded rather than lopsided heme vs onc).

Case Western Reserve
Dartmouth
Emory
Florida
UMaryland
UNC
UTSW

Thanks

Hi. Would like input from attendings on my current rank list (in alphabetical order). please use reputation among academics (well rounded rather than lopsided heme vs onc).

Case Western Reserve
Dartmouth
Emory
Florida
UMaryland
UNC
UTSW

Thanks

you failed to mention what your career goals are. any geographic preference (because these are all over)? have you interviewed at these places already or you're planning to? It's better that you rank them based how you like them and then people would tell you if there's something outrageously stupid on your list or something that goes against your goals.

Reactions: 1 users
Career goal in academics-heme.
No geographical preference.
To repeat what I said, I just would like to know what people think about the reputation of these places. I will use it as one factor in ranking them.

you failed to mention what your career goals are. any geographic preference (because these are all over)? have you interviewed at these places already or you're planning to? It's better that you rank them based how you like them and then people would tell you if there's something outrageously stupid on your list or something that goes against your goals.[/QU

Career goal in academics-heme.
No geographical preference.
To repeat what I said, I just would like to know what people think about the reputation of these places. I will use it as one factor in ranking them.
One more time...how did you like them?

Reputation is irrelevant if you jump off the top of the hospital because you're so miserable there.

I haven't been writing "thank you" emails and waiting until now to email programs back (after interviewing at several places and being able to get a sense of the programs). I heard some people email thank you's immediately and in afraid it will affect my ranking. What are your thoughts?

I haven't been writing "thank you" emails and waiting until now to email programs back (after interviewing at several places and being able to get a sense of the programs). I heard some people email thank you's immediately and in afraid it will affect my ranking. What are your thoughts?
Do whatever...or nothing.

Do what you did in residency applications...or nothing.

Do whatever...or nothing.

Do what you did in residency applications...or nothing.

Is it a match violation to call or email a program and say they are your first choice?

Is it a match violation to call or email a program and say they are your first choice?

Volunteering information is not a violation.

But thinking that our raking email will affect their ROL, I feel is not worth it.

I just put myself in their shoes and think that if a program emails me their strong desire to rank me or have me (which we would have got an idea from IV day or reply to thank you emails); I would like that, but it would not influence me to change my ROL.

My .02!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule to send thank you emails or that it would affect my ranking in their ROL.

It's common courtesy to thank people for their time, that's why I emailed.

As above; it just does not affect our ranking too much.

The beauty of 'match'! We want the best of the best and they want the best of the best too. We just match where we both are content with each other commonly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I didn't send thank you's but said them on the way out. I think a smile and a thanks for the invitation is more than enough. Most of the faculty get more than enough emails and they honestly don't care that much about being thanked. They want someone they are interested in working with, not the most polite person on the block.

I do think that the I'm ranking you number one email can be helpful in certain situations most of which revolve around when there are several candidates who are very similar on paper and after the interview. I think if you have three or four people who all seem good that if one of those says I'm ranking you number it may move them to the top of that group of people. Programs and applicants tend to be better fits when they both want each other and I can say from experience that when people get the chance and get where they want to be they are often eager to prove that they were given a spot for good reason.

Long time lurker, but interested in some opinions and perspectives regarding ranking the following. Interested in thoracic oncology and academic career focused mostly on clinical research (specifically Phase 1 and Phase 2 type studies). Having a really tough time with top four.

Colorado
Yale
Penn
WashU
Cleveland Clinic
Fox-Chase
Dartmouth
Tufts
SLU

Interviewed at Vermont recently.

2 fellows per year. Inpatient Onc and Heme service combined (some auto Txp only as they dont do allo [20-30 autos every year], acute leukemias and some benign heme). From january 17 they are trying to make onc as primary hospitalist service with onc consults (they are not sure what they will do for heme service). Allo BMT 1 month is done at Dana Farber or to your place of liking.
Schedule: 6 months service first year (includes both onc-heme inpt service and heme consults). rest of the year is clinic.
Call: since there are 6 fellows; call is divided equally among fellows; every 6th weekday you are on call. and weekends are separate call with every 6th weekend for both saturday, sunday.
Fellowrun Continity Clinic in 3rd year with a communiy oncologist who sees everything. They are trying to hire 1 more and start fellow run continuity clinic from 2nd year onwards.
Program is very strong on benign heme, specially on thrombosis. One of the 3rd year fellows just got a 50k ASH grant or sth. Basic science research in benign heme is also active there is some of the labs. Cancer genetics is active there too. There is a benign heme thrombosis track that you can take.
Burlington-Vermont is a beautiful city in fall and summer, college town like. But winters suck there unless you are a ski fanatic which i heard is awesome there. Traffic was abit heavy in evening and morning. All patients are insured i heard. Was a refugee relocation for Bosnia, Nepal, Vietnam so some diversity there. But not very diverse in cuisine, except Asian. Lots of chef run eateries and maybe concerts etc.
Fellows seemed happy and cordial among each other. Attendings are very friendly and most of them moved there and stayed for years.
Expenses: Housing as posh 1 BR apt at 1000$ pm in city as per the fellow.

In a nutshell, I am glad I made the trip to see the program as it made me make appropriate conclusions. I would strongly recommend to go visit if you want to benign Heme.

That clears up a lot of things. Made up my mind to go over and experience myself. Thank you sid4med!

Long time lurker, but interested in some opinions and perspectives regarding ranking the following. Interested in thoracic oncology and academic career focused mostly on clinical research (specifically Phase 1 and Phase 2 type studies). Having a really tough time with top four.

Colorado
Yale
Penn
WashU
Cleveland Clinic
Fox-Chase
Dartmouth
Tufts
SLU

For thoracic onc, you can rank any of the top three based on geographic preference. I think you can leave the rest alone as they are now.

Can someone give me some recommendations on my ranking list? Undecided about career plans. No preference on locations. Thanks in Advance!

UC San Diego
Mayo Jacksonville
Jackson Memorial(U Miami)
Houston Methodist
UT San Antonio
Baylor (Dallas)
Orlando Health

Can someone give me some recommendations on my ranking list? Undecided about career plans. No preference on locations. Thanks in Advance!

UC San Diego
Mayo Jacksonville
Jackson Memorial(U Miami)
Houston Methodist
UT San Antonio
Baylor (Dallas)
Orlando Health

Nothing wrong with it. personally I would push U Miami further down and UT San Antonio a little up

Help with ranking:
Interested in academics, have a research background in tumor genomic profiling using NGS. Interested in solid tumors (no particular tumor type). The biggest issue for me is the order of my top 3 (keep changing my mind everyday). Desire a program with both good clinical training and research opportunities (translational research/clinical). No geographic preference.
Any attending/fellow/other members comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks

NIH
U of Iowa
U of MN
U of AZ
Houston Methodist
Roswell Park
U of Arkansas (not interviewed yet)
U of Mississippi (not interviewed yet)

Last edited:
Help with ranking:
Interested in academics, have a research background in tumor genomic profiling using NGS. Interested in solid tumors (no particular tumor type). The biggest issue for me is the order of my top 3 (keep changing my mind everyday). Desire a program with both good clinical training and research opportunities (translational research/clinical). No geographic preference.
Any attending/fellow/other members comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks

NIH
U of Iowa
U of MN
U of AZ
Houston Methodist
Roswell Park
U of Arkansas (not interviewed yet)
U of Mississippi (not interviewed yet)

Hi PD1,
Do you really think houston methodist is better than roswell park?

Hi PD1,
Do you really think houston methodist is better than roswell park?

There are many reasons for that. RPCI is clearly a more established cancer center with reputation and is a NCI designated CCC with potentially good research infrastructure, if one is interested. It is certainly a busy clinical schedule for 1st year with lot of exposure to solid tumors and adequate exposure to Mal heme. It is not good for Benign heme. There is no "real" continuity clinic i.e one does not have own panel of patients. Over the last 2-3 yrs all fellows have gone into PP, which sounds very suspicious. Overall, I did not get a good vibe.
Houston Methodist overall is a better hospital. Although, the program is only 2 yrs old, the cancer center is rapidly expanding, given that they seperated from Baylor only 8 yrs ago. The program has a new young PD. In spite of being so close to MD Anderson, the pt numbers are tremendous. The structure of continuity clinic is great. I felt that there was a lot of room for growth as a cancer center and as a program. Although I don't have geographic preference, Houston is a much better place to live than Buffalo for sure. This is my personal opinion, and I admit I might be wrong. In any case, once I finish my remaining interviews and talk to more people, I might change my mind.

Hi all,
I was hoping for some input on my rank list. I don't have a certain area of oncology determined yet but possibly solids. Would like do mostly clinical work with some research as well. Any opinions appreciated, this is kind of a thrown together order.
1. University of Utah
2. Upmc
3. VCU
4. Louisville
5. University of Maryland
6. Baylor Houston
7. University of Kansas

Also unsure of where to put UIC and Arkansas as I haven't interviewed there yet but would appreciate input on those places also. Thanks!

There are many reasons for that. RPCI is clearly a more established cancer center with reputation and is a NCI designated CCC with potentially good research infrastructure, if one is interested. It is certainly a busy clinical schedule for 1st year with lot of exposure to solid tumors and adequate exposure to Mal heme. It is not good for Benign heme. There is no "real" continuity clinic i.e one does not have own panel of patients. Over the last 2-3 yrs all fellows have gone into PP, which sounds very suspicious. Overall, I did not get a good vibe.
Houston Methodist overall is a better hospital. Although, the program is only 2 yrs old, the cancer center is rapidly expanding, given that they seperated from Baylor only 8 yrs ago. The program has a new young PD. In spite of being so close to MD Anderson, the pt numbers are tremendous. The structure of continuity clinic is great. I felt that there was a lot of room for growth as a cancer center and as a program. Although I don't have geographic preference, Houston is a much better place to live than Buffalo for sure. This is my personal opinion, and I admit I might be wrong. In any case, once I finish my remaining interviews and talk to more people, I might change my mind.

Thanks for your comments PD1. IMHO, if you want go for PP, Houston Methodist is a very good choice. But if you want to stay in academics RPCI will be a much better decision. As you mentioned they are NCI and have a long history of research. If they haven't put anyone in academics, it's simply because fellows don't want to do research and prefer to go for PP. I interviewed in places that are also strong in research that had zero fellows going to academics. One fellow actually told me that he considers his research time as "Time to watch Espn". This guy was in a top university and had all the resources to do any kind of research in any kind of cancer.

Colorado
Yale
Penn
WashU
Cleveland Clinic
Fox-Chase
Dartmouth
Tufts
SLU

I think I would put Penn or Yale as my top choice. Penn is the best in your list for translational medicine. They have so many opportunities and the PD looks like a great guy. I haven't been to Yale but it has a very good reputation too.
The rest of your list if all the same, I guess. I would just choose based on location. I love Philly and Boston, so I guess I would put Tufts and Fox chase higher if it was my list.

I interviewed in places that are also strong in research that had zero fellows going to academics. One fellow actually told me that he considers his research time as "Time to watch Espn". This guy was in a top university and had all the resources to do any kind of research in any kind of cancer.

People change their minds (even at academic programs .. believe it or not) and decide to go for PP. if that's the case there's no point in doing heavy duty research in fellowship. Fellows who do that though usually try to see as many patients and be very familiar with managing the common malignancies as this will be your every day life in PP.
Wasting research time doing neither one of those two things is flat out stupid.

Hi all,
I was hoping for some input on my rank list. I don't have a certain area of oncology determined yet but possibly solids. Would like do mostly clinical work with some research as well. Any opinions appreciated, this is kind of a thrown together order.
1. University of Utah
2. Upmc
3. VCU
4. Louisville
5. University of Maryland
6. Baylor Houston
7. University of Kansas

Also unsure of where to put UIC and Arkansas as I haven't interviewed there yet but would appreciate input on those places also. Thanks!

Louisville above Maryland is kind of odd but there's nothing wrong with this list. Utah is a really good program.

Status
Not open for further replies.