Official 2016-2017 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Would like some input on ranking. Interested in either private practice or transplant. Would like to do mostly clinical work but open to clinical research. Would prefer to stay west if possible. Any input greatly appreciated! Thanks!

1. Houston Methodist
2. UC Davis
3. UCLA Harbor
4. UCLA Olive View
5. Rutgers
6. UCI
7. Wayne
8. UCSF Fresno
9. Loma Linda

Members don't see this ad.

Interested in either private practice or transplant. Would like to do mostly clinical work but open to clinical research.

809961.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Visari and gutonc,
Would appreciate your input on my rank order list, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Help with ranking:
Interested in academics, have a research background in tumor genomic profiling using NGS. Interested in solid tumors (no particular tumor type). The biggest issue for me is the order of my top 3 (keep changing my mind everyday). Desire a program with both good clinical training and research opportunities (translational research/clinical). No geographic preference.
Any attending/fellow/other members comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks

NIH
U of Iowa
U of MN
U of AZ
Houston Methodist
Roswell Park
U of Arkansas (not interviewed yet)
U of Mississippi (not interviewed yet)

The problem is that "a program with good clinical training" and NIH don't go well together. You will get OK clinical training at NIH.

Going to NIH and then changing your mind to do PP is not the end of the world ... but dude what a waste of time and effort.
I've said it before but the only type of people I encourage to go to NIH are those with heavy research background and know the ins/outs of academic medicine, know exactly what they will be working on in fellowship and have identified a good mentor or two at NIH that they will work in their lab. Not the generic "I want to do academics" kind of applicant. I don't know which type you are but hope this helps.

Otherwise your list is fine. I would personally put MN above Iowa. Arkansas and Mississippi in the bottom for sure. Roswell Park is a better academic place the Houston but they have a very heavy (rather abusive) clinical program and there is a mass exodus of good faculty from there which is never a good sign.

As you can probably tell, I do not have a clear idea of "what I want to do in 5-10 years." Hopefully fellowship will be able to help me with that. Most likely, private practice though. Thanks for your input

Then stay on the west coast if that's your preference... there's nothing at Houston Methodist that is worth living in TX for either for PP or academics

I am interested in solid tumors and clinical research, ie clinical trials. I am also want to dual board. I want to be equally strong in patient care and research.
I appreciate anyone's advise on my rank list.
1) MSKCC
2) Hopkins
3) NIH
4) Cornell
5)Ohio state
6)Tufts
7)Boston University
8) UCLA Harborview
9) Darthmouth

I am interested in solid tumors and clinical research, ie clinical trials. I am also want to dual board. I want to be equally strong in patient care and research.
1) MSKCC
2) Hopkins
3) NIH
4) Cornell
5)Ohio state
6)Tufts
7)Boston University
8) UCLA Harborview
9) Darthmouth

Just FYI - I would say that when I interviewed at your top 3, my impression was that dual-boarding was a minority at those programs. Perhaps less so at Hopkins compared to MSKCC and NCI.

Why is there so little talk about UCSanFrancisco? Do east coast people just not interview there as much? I was very impressed with it, but the multiple different sites throughout the city is a negative factor. Thoughts versus other top programs?

Why is there so little talk about UCSanFrancisco? Do east coast people just not interview there as much? I was very impressed with it, but the multiple different sites throughout the city is a negative factor. Thoughts versus other top programs?
It was my #2 back in the day.

Multiple sites all over the place in a city that it can be crazy to get around in on a good day.
Bats*** insane COL.
The virtual impossibility of getting a faculty position there.

Those were the top 3 things that moved it from #1 for me.

It's a great place to train but a lot of people with big families just cannot afford living there. Think of people in the midwest or south or even the east coast maybe outside of NYC, DC or Boston. If you're used to having your own 3-4 bedroom house with a back yard and two large dogs, it's hard to move and cram everyone in a studio or a 1-bedroom condo just to be in SF.

I love SF as a city but I would never live there. 10 years ago when I looked better and didn't have a family I might have said something different.

1) MSKCC
2) Hopkins
3) NIH
4) Cornell
5)Ohio state
6)Tufts
7)Boston University
8) UCLA Harborview
9) Darthmouth
You will have a very hard time double boarding at both MSK and NIH. Well nigh on impossible. Also, both of them are less strong clinically than most of the other places on your list. Not because you don't get great cases, but because the amount of autonomy you'll get is much less than at other places.

FWIW, if you're at all interested in GI malignancies, tOSU is top 5 (top 3 IIRC) in terms of GI volume and clinical trial opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you everyone for such great information on programs. It has been super helpful reading everyone's posts.

Hi GutOnc or anyone else, I need some help with my top 5 in RoL; want to go into academics in hem malignancies, primarily interested in clinical research only..

1. Cleveland Clinic
2. NYU
3. Tufts
4. Roswell park
5. Karmanos

Thanks

Hi GutOnc or anyone else, I need some help with my top 5 in RoL; want to go into academics in hem malignancies, primarily interested in clinical research only..

1. Cleveland Clinic
2. NYU
3. Tufts
4. Roswell park
5. Karmanos

Thanks
NYU/Karmanos
RPCI/CCF
Tufts

Hello guys,
Can anyone please have a look at my ROL and comment on how I should rank them? I am interested in solid tumors, want to be in academics (most likely clinical research with some translational studies)

1. Mayo Rochester
2. Wash U
3. Baylor Houston
4. Harbor UCLA-City of Hope/Research Track
5. University of Southern California
6. Roswell Park
7. University of Minnesota
8. Tufts
9. Tulane
10. Wayne State- Karmanos
11. Henry Ford

Hello guys,
Can anyone please have a look at my ROL and comment on how I should rank them? I am interested in solid tumors, want to be in academics (most likely clinical research with some translational studies)

1. Mayo Rochester
2. Wash U
3. Baylor Houston
6. Roswell Park
8. Tufts
9. Tulane
11. Henry Ford

a decent list. few comments that you can take or leave:
1- I don't know why Tulane is even there. And, unless there's strong geographic preference, I don't understand putting it above Karmanos (and yes ..I know Karamnos is in Detroit)
2- Since your main interest is solid tumors, you need to know that Mayo's big strength is in hem (especially myeloma, lymphoma and MPD). They're not as strong in solids (good in GI, neuro/onc and breast but not as much in GU or thoracic)

a decent list. few comments that you can take or leave:
1- I don't know why Tulane is even there. And, unless there's strong geographic preference, I don't understand putting it above Karmanos (and yes ..I know Karamnos is in Detroit)
2- Since your main interest is solid tumors, you need to know that Mayo's big strength is in hem (especially myeloma, lymphoma and MPD). They're not as strong in solids (good in GI, neuro/onc and breast but not as much in GU or thoracic)
Thank you, Visari. Makes sense putting Karmanos before Tulane. Thanks!

Hello
Can anyone please have a look at my top 6 in ROL and comment on how I should rank them? I am interested in solid tumors( head, neck and lung cancer) and have no geographic preference. I will probably pursue private practice. ( I am not a super candidate and actually felt blessed with the interview invitations I got)
1. University of Cincinnati (fellows works for VA and seem happy there)
2. Mayos Jacksonville
3. University of Illinois
4. MUSC
5. University of Florida
6. Jackson Memorial Miami

Thanks.

Hello
Can anyone please have a look at my top 6 in ROL and comment on how I should rank them? I am interested in solid tumors( head, neck and lung cancer) and have no geographic preference. I will probably pursue private practice. ( I am not a super candidate and actually felt blessed with the interview invitations I got)
1. University of Cincinnati (fellows works for VA and seem happy there)
2. Mayos Jacksonville
3. University of Illinois
4. MUSC
5. University of Florida
6. Jackson Memorial Miami

Thanks.

Miracle Whip should be at #8 on your list.

Long time follower, I need your input for ranking.
Interested in academics, like solid tumors. Need a program with a broad clinical exposure and good clinical research opportunities. No geographic preference.
Thanks.

NIH
U of MN
U of Iowa
RPCI
Houston Methodist
NSLIJ
Drexel

Any thoughts on Lenox Hill? I can't find any information online about it...have an interview on Friday.

Long time follower, I need your input for ranking.
Interested in academics, like solid tumors. Need a program with a broad clinical exposure and good clinical research opportunities. No geographic preference.
Thanks.

NIH
U of MN
U of Iowa
RPCI
Houston Methodist
NSLIJ
Drexel

You should put Iowa on top.
I felt the solid tumor training at UMN was pretty weak. One of the interviewers admitted that herself.
Clinical training at NIH is pretty weak. However, plenty of translational and bench research opportunities.

Hello,
I will appreciate if anyone may help me to rank those 5 programs. I will be looking for Academic position in solid tumors likely in GI later in my career. No geographic preference. Thanks very much in advance!!

1-) U of Rochester
2-) Emory
3-) Thomas Jefferson
4-) Georgetown
5-) Miami Jackson

Hello,
I will appreciate if anyone may help me to rank those 5 programs. I will be looking for Academic position in solid tumors likely in GI later in my career. No geographic preference. Thanks very much in advance!!

1-) U of Rochester
2-) Emory
3-) Thomas Jefferson
4-) Georgetown
5-) Miami Jackson

is that how you'd rank them or you're just throwing them randomly at us?
Georgetown is probably the strongest in GI on that list

Long time lurker, but interested in some opinions and perspectives regarding ranking the following. Interested in thoracic oncology and academic career focused mostly on clinical research (specifically Phase 1 and Phase 2 type studies). Having a really tough time with top four.

Colorado
Yale
Penn
WashU
Cleveland Clinic
Fox-Chase
Dartmouth
Tufts
SLU

Colorado (prominent thoracic and early phase program) . Also a better location than Yale (I'm not sure how active roy herbst is within the fellowship_
Penn may have a slight edge than wash U (although govindan would be an excellent mentor)
I feel Fox chase a better program than Cleveland Clinic. I think hossein borghaei is the thoracic lead at FCCC
Darmouth/Tufts/SLU all a step down from the other choices

One of the most important factor in an academic career is who your mentor is ? and less of where you come from as long as you are in a decent institution. I would identify a mentor who has a vested interest in helping to guide you and achieve your goals. Also to consider is to sort out whether the senior folks/big names in these places are interested in taking on mentees and whether you would have much "face time" in their clinics or other research exposure in their lab etc. Other consideration include the ability to transition to junior faculty at where you train for the first 1-3 years after to complete projects, publications and experience before moving to other places.

is that how you'd rank them or you're just throwing them randomly at us?
Georgetown is probably the strongest in GI on that list

Agree

Georgetown for GI (marshall , weiner both there)
Emory after
I don't think there is anything at URochester - mostly benign and some malignant hem

Hi all,
I was hoping for some input on my rank list. I don't have a certain area of oncology determined yet but possibly solids. Would like do mostly clinical work with some research as well. Any opinions appreciated, this is kind of a thrown together order.
1. University of Utah
2. Upmc
3. VCU
4. Louisville
5. University of Maryland
6. Baylor Houston
7. University of Kansas

Also unsure of where to put UIC and Arkansas as I haven't interviewed there yet but would appreciate input on those places also. Thanks!

UPMC is probably a better name than Utah - it's all clinical at UPMC but you'll be alright. More solids and less malignant heme at UPMC (they also have a strong benign heme faculty)
I am concern of the pathology they see in Utah - i don't think it was as diverse as i've expected.
Do not go to Louisville - they are a mess and rebuilding. I've heard about them on my job interviews
KUMC is a good clinical program and deserve to be above louisville - for private practice
Don't know much about VCU, Maryland (except that Maryland do some malignant hem), or Baylor houston (i've heard that ben taub is a great learning environment). The baylor name is probably above KUMC, louisville.

Help with ranking:
Interested in academics, have a research background in tumor genomic profiling using NGS. Interested in solid tumors (no particular tumor type). The biggest issue for me is the order of my top 3 (keep changing my mind everyday). Desire a program with both good clinical training and research opportunities (translational research/clinical). No geographic preference.
Any attending/fellow/other members comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks

NIH
U of Iowa
U of MN
U of AZ
Houston Methodist
Roswell Park
U of Arkansas (not interviewed yet)
U of Mississippi (not interviewed yet)

If you are 100% sure on academics

NIH
MN (although this is a mal-heme/BMT powerhouse)
AZ / Iowa (go on your gut feel)
Roswell is probably a better name than the rest on your list but they've loss many folks. Roswell is traditionally a malignant heme place in the last decade
Don't know much about Houston, arkansas, miss

Last edited:
Hi. Would like input from attendings on my current rank list (in alphabetical order). please use reputation among academics (well rounded rather than lopsided heme vs onc).

Case Western Reserve
Dartmouth
Emory
Florida
UMaryland
UNC
UTSW

Thanks

UNC is probably the top
Case close second
Emory third
UTSW (they work hard)
Maryland
Florida = Dartmouth

Opinions regarding Indiana for hematology , I interviewed there and liked the place , however I do know that its known for solid/ testicular, but does that really matter? Also, would it be crazy to rank univ of minnesota and Indiana univ above WashU??

WashU and Minnesota are many steps up above Indy (trust me)
It's a toss up between washU and Minnesota. I would probably pick WashU over MN due to personal preference but i don't see anything wrong choosing MN over washU. MN is a BMT powerhouse and does lot of cords which i think is losing popularity due to advancement of haplos
Indy has close to none mal-heme reputation

Hello guys,

1. Mayo Rochester
2. Wash U
3. Baylor Houston
6. Roswell Park
8. Tufts
9. Tulane
11. Henry Ford

City of hope is likely a better prorgam than baylor houston
MN is better than roswell park
Wayne state should be higher....they have a decent reputation e.g above tuft, tulane)

Reactions: 1 users

1. Cleveland Clinic
2. NYU
3. Tufts
4. Roswell park
5. Karmanos

Thanks

CCF is probably the biggest mal-heme name on your list (advani, matt kalaycio, sekerres and others who do basic science research)
I don't think tuft has much mal-heme
Roswell is rebuilding their mal-heme
Can't comment much on NYU and Karmanos

Go to the BMT sites to search out how many transplants (autos don't count) as a surrogate for mal-heme activity. It's public info
http://bloodcell.transplant.hrsa.gov/RESEARCH/Transplant_Data/US_Tx_Data/Data_by_Center/center.aspx

Hi gutonc. I am an IMG, on green card, step 1 in 240s, step2 in 250s, current chief medical resident. I want to stay in academics in gastrointestinal oncology, 4-5 publications in peer reviewed journals, 3 bookchapters, current lab work. I want to cancel 5-7 of the following interviews:
1- Mount Sinai
2- Tufts
3- University of Cincinnati
4- University of Minnesota
5- Baylor (Houston)
6- UT Southwestern
7- Boston University
8- University of Buffalo

What do you advise? Thanks!

I like Mt sinai best, UMN, Baylor, UTSW
There isn't much activity in cincy. Dominated by private practice groups - No academic feel. Cincy should be much lower close to the bottom

Hi everyone,

Would like some input on ranking. Interested in either private practice or transplant. Would like to do mostly clinical work but open to clinical research. Would prefer to stay west if possible. Any input greatly appreciated! Thanks!

1. Houston Methodist
2. UC Davis
3. UCLA Harbor
4. UCLA Olive View
5. Rutgers
6. UCI
7. Wayne
8. UCSF Fresno
9. Loma Linda

I'm 99.9% sure you will not be a transplanter after fellowship. So i assume you're going to do private practice
- I like City of hope best.
- Rutgers, houston methodist shoud be lower
- Wayne suffers from location - i would not want to live in detroit unless you're from the area
- UCI, UCDavis, UC Fresno, Loma linda are probably similar

Any thoughts on the following?

MSK vs. NIH/NCI

MSK no question
NCI is living from their past reputation - the only activity there these days are coming from rosenberg's lab (surgical branch) and wyndam wilson's lymphoma group. Rosenberg is one of the biggest immunotherapy name in the country. NHLBI is a decent mal-heme and famous bone marrow failure/MDS place to train

Last edited:
I have only interviewed at a few of these places so far, but would like to solicit other opinions on my assessment of these programs based on my pre-interview digging/research/others' input. Like the majority of us, I am interested in malignant heme, but do not have a lot of dedicated exposure to other areas of our prospective careers. Originally from NJ, but no geographical preference specifically (although I clearly did the northeast corridor application-wise). Any and all input is appreciated, as less than 24 hours direct experience with each program often cannot trump past and perhaps more lengthy experience(s).

1. Hopkins
2. Yale
3. Vanderbilt
4. Cornell
5. UNC
6. Fox Chase
7. Mt. Sinai
8. Pitt
9. Rutgers
10. Maryland
11. Brown
12. Georgetown

...was thinking of cancelling Tufts

Ranking just solely for mal-heme

Hopkins by a mile
Cornell
UNC = Vandy
Mt Sinai, Yale, Pitt, FCCC, Maryland

Rutgers, brown, georgetown have zero mal-heme

See the above post about looking up transplant volumes

Last edited:
Thanks to all the members for all their support. Please help me rank my programs. I am interested in GI oncology and translational research. No geographical preference. These are my programs in no specific order:
- U Penn
- Yale
- Georgetown/Lombardi
- NYU
- Ohio State (they recently lost Dr Saab to Mayo Arizona)
- Case Western
- Karmanos (Wayne State)
-Tufts
- Henry Ford
- Allegheny

Thank you!!

Hi All,

I would like your input on my ROL. I am interested in an academic career in Malignant heme and clinic research (early phase clinical trials).

Stanford
UCLA
UPenn
Cleveland Clinic
Vanderbilt
UMN
Case Western (didnt interview yet)
UMaryland
MSKCC (didn't interview yet, but it's lower on my list since I want to double board and I am afraid of the clinical training and lack of autonomy/ plus not fond of NYC)
Georgetown (didn't interview yet)
USC
Baylor
RPCI
Univ Wisconsin

Thank you all in advance!!!

Hi All,

I would like your input on my ROL. I am interested in an academic career in Malignant heme and clinic research (early phase clinical trials).

Stanford
UCLA
UPenn
Cleveland Clinic
Vanderbilt
UMN
Case Western (didnt interview yet)
UMaryland
MSKCC (didn't interview yet, but it's lower on my list since I want to double board and I am afraid of the clinical training and lack of autonomy/ plus not fond of NYC)
Georgetown (didn't interview yet)
USC
Baylor
RPCI
Univ Wisconsin

Thank you all in advance!!!

For Mal-heme

Top notch:
Stanford = UMN (both mal heme powerhouses). Cost of living around Stanford is ridiculous. Stanford has the better lay-man branding but they are both equally good.
UPENN = CART heaven. You cannot talk about the future of mal-heme without talking about CART. CART are the future of mal-heme. UPENN program has great potential for the future. They are doing very exciting things

I personally would pick UPENN>Stanford>UMN

Top-notch/good
MSKCC

Good programs
CCF = Vanderbilt
Case

Moderate
RCPI
Maryland
Wisc

Don't know much about baylor mal-heme other than helen heslop as a cell therapy name there

Poor
USC
Georgetown

Last edited:
Thanks to all the members for all their support. Please help me rank my programs. I am interested in GI oncology and translational research. No geographical preference. These are my programs in no specific order:
- U Penn
- Yale
- Georgetown/Lombardi
- NYU
- Ohio State (they recently lost Dr Saab to Mayo Arizona)
- Case Western
- Karmanos (Wayne State)
-Tufts
- Henry Ford
- Allegheny

Thank you!!

Case - Neal meropol and sandy markovitz (head of the case-western GI spore) are potential mentors.
Georgetown - They have excellent clinical training in GI. There's also a big name in melanoma there (atkins). But georgetown is still georgetown. Other departments are average
NYU - suffers from other institutions in manhattan after mskcc, columbia, cornell
Ohio State - Lots of GI volume but they would need to recruit
Karmanos - They do some early phase clinical trials
AGH - there's nothing going on there

Case - Neal meropol and sandy markovitz (head of the case-western GI spore) are potential mentors.
Georgetown - They have excellent clinical training in GI. There's also a big name in melanoma there (atkins). But georgetown is still georgetown. Other departments are average
NYU - suffers from other institutions in manhattan after mskcc, columbia, cornell
Ohio State - Lots of GI volume but they would need to recruit
Karmanos - They do some early phase clinical trials
AGH - there's nothing going on there
Thank you very much!

Thanks for a lot of great feedback from everyone! UPenn is the obvious main competitor in the Philly area, but I was wondering what people's opinions were of the others (Jefferson, Fox Chase/Temple, MD Anderson at Cooper). Any input that people have regarding how these programs compare to one another would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.