Official 2016-2017 ID Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am applying.

D.O. from a dually-accredited AOA/ACGME community program have only taken COMLEX but with good scores. One ID case report, with some other unrelated research. No red flags and three great letters.
Not sure what to expect as there doesn't seem to be a lot of general information about the process.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
edited

Last edited:
am in. US-IMG from Caribbean. Graduate with honor. Good USMLE scores. One posters .
decide on ID late. Have 3 promises on LOR's. But receive none yet. Still working on the PS. Anxious. Any tips ? Anyone

I'm a US grad in a top 10-ish academic IM program, but decided on ID very late so don't have much ID related things on my CV. Didn't get asked to chief. Mediocre research (couple publications/couple of abstracts) but good LORs I think.

I find it really hard to know how to gauge competitiveness for ID fellowship. Overall, it's not competitive but obviously some places still are. How many place are you guys applying to? I was thinking of about 10 but don't know what I should be aiming for.

I'm a US grad in a top 10-ish academic IM program, but decided on ID very late so don't have much ID related things on my CV. Didn't get asked to chief. Mediocre research (couple publications/couple of abstracts) but good LORs I think.

I find it really hard to know how to gauge competitiveness for ID fellowship. Overall, it's not competitive but obviously some places still are. How many place are you guys applying to? I was thinking of about 10 but don't know what I should be aiming for.
because of my mediocre stat...without research of publications, ......I plan to apply 35-40 programs...not sure how I can find time for the IV's.

Hey everyone. I'm starting my first year in fellowship at a competitive ID program, and am happy to offer tips I picked up from last year. Feel free to respond or PM me if you have any specific questions.

About myself:
US MD, upper-mid tier academic IM program with strong ID department
No publications, but a few posters (one at IDWeek)

Applied to 10 or 11, went on 8 or 9 interviews, including:
MGH/BWH, Hopkins, Emory, Wash U, Case Western, UNC, Duke, UVA

Wasn't interested in West Coast programs, but heard good things about: UCSF, U Wash, UCSD

Tips: Have a general idea of what within ID you're interested in (HIV, transplant, hospital epi, etc.) and be able to talk about some research ideas you have. Be looking for programs that have people researching what you're interested in, as this will make finding a research mentor during fellowship all the easier. A lot of programs are starting to have release-valves for busy consult months, like having an NP/PA or a non-teaching consult attending service to take some of the consults. Many places offer an MPH (either full degree or classes a la carte) or an MSCR/MSCI, so if you're interested in that ask the fellows questions to see if it's actually feasible.

All in all, ID is not very competitive, and everyone from my program as well as others I met on the interview trail matched at their #1 (obviously this doesn't hold true for everyone, but still). It's a fun time getting to meet with faculty and potential research mentors, and more importantly your future co-fellows. You'll see a lot of the same faces at multiple interviews, which can be a lot of fun. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
because of my mediocre stat...without research of publications, ......I plan to apply 35-40 programs...not sure how I can find time for the IV's.

I think once you get interviews, it'll be easier to get your list down to a manageable number and pick a few programs from each tier (a few reaches, majority at your level, and a few safeties) to actually interview at.

While applying on ERAS there is the option of several different tracts:

Clinical tract

Clinical research tract

Academic tract

Investigator tract

What is the difference between the tracts? can I check all?

Clinical tract

Clinical research tract

Academic tract

Investigator tract

You could check all tracks, but they're geared towards different things so you probably shouldn't. Clinical means just clinical without significant research interests. Clinical research and investigator will mean interest in clinical research vs basic science research. I'm not sure what academic means, but I imagine it as a sort of clinician educator pathway. If you tell me what place specifically you're referring to, I can look it up for you.

Clinical tract

Clinical research tract

Academic tract

Investigator tract

Clinical/PP
Clinical research - Run clinical trials
Teaching attending
Basic science - Bench b***h

Clinical tract

Clinical research tract

Academic tract

Investigator tract

Good question. I think it would be advantageous to only check one. Alot of programs once you match/start will offer an additional 3rd year of research (or even 4th) if you prefer and initially start as Clinician Educator and get super involved in a research project throughout your fellowship. Just my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
can I check all?
You can, but it's unlikely to increase your chance of getting an interview (more likely to decrease it since it will look like you'll just take w˙atever youcan get). Check the 1 (or at most 2) that you're actually interested in. At this stage, the programs are just looking to hook you up with the best interviewers if they invite you.

thank you for the answers.

IN the Stony Brook U ID program, the two option boxes are fellowship and Infectious diseases, which one should I check??

thank you for the answers.

IN the Stony Brook U ID program, the two option boxes are fellowship and Infectious diseases, which one should I check??
Lol now that's gonna be a hard one.
Maybe both? Obviously an error on entry..

What do people think are the strongest ID fellowship programs in terms of clinical training and research opportunities? I've heard from a few ID attendings at my program but would like some other opinions.

New to the thread, glad someone started it!

I have a question regarding fellowships app

The ERAS application opens up tomorrow and under the personal information section it asks for my NRMP ID.

When I go to the NRMP website, it states that the Medical Specialties Match Program does not open until August 31.

I am confused as to how I can submit the ERAS application without the NRMP ID?

Hey all,

It has begun. Any word yet? Already with one but don't want to spoil if it can identify me alone. Any other invites?

MC40

Hey all,

It has begun. Any word yet? Already with one but don't want to spoil if it can identify me alone. Any other invites?

MC40

Do you already have a interview? oh my.....
is it on the east or west?

one for me: NYMC

Good luck to everyone !!
that is very quick. they just started looking today!

congrats

please share programs impression if available! (I am applying in California, Oregon, Utah, and Denver). good luck everyone

don't think you need it, just aamc id somewhere else found on the application

I am still waiting for one LOR, from the chief of the ID. otherwise, my app is complete. Shall I summit the app now and upload the last LOR later?
Plz give some advice, I'm anxious.
Thank you

I am still waiting for one LOR, from the chief of the ID. otherwise, my app is complete. Shall I summit the app now and upload the last LOR later?
Thank you

Same predicament. I'm waiting until Monday when my last letter would be in. I asked my ID program director who says they don't even start downloading applications until the end of July so I think as long as everything is in the next week or so, we should be fine and it shouldn't matter either way.

Thank you

Yeah programs like LOR... if you have one from well known ID people, you might get a few xtra interviews. I would remind you writer so he or she can have some urgency. Programs, not all, are downloading already, so the sooner the better.

If it takes too long, it's a small gamble, maybe consider submitting. Then call the programs you like to make sure they go in and download the LOR. I wouldnt wait more than a week out now.

Gl

So I applied to 12 programs... how many is everyone applying to?

I was going to apply to 8, but since it was the same cost for 10, I added two more programs last minute before I submitted.

Just to help people out - I submitted before all my LOR were in (still waiting on my PD's and another) and I heard from two places already, so I think it's ok to submit without them all in.

To answer a previous question. I applied to approx 50. Some would say too much for ID, but better safe than sorry (my wallet is def feeling sorry though) because I am an IMG at a small community program, few publications (ID related) and few posters at national conferences (ID related), strong letters from mid-level university programs ID faculty.

Would love to hear everyone's opinion on the "best programs" was wondering in particular which programs have a strong global health focus/track?

BABS_thehuman - 07/15/16 - NYMC, Tufts, UVA; 07/18/16 VCU, Drexel, OHSU, UW-Madison, Tulane, Rutgers
thierryhenry - 07/18/16 - GWU/MedStar, Loyola, Drexel
Montecristo40 - UVa, Northwestern, OHSU, UChicago

Would love to hear everyone's opinion on the "best programs" was wondering in particular which programs have a strong global health focus/track?

I'll start it since no one seems to be chiming in. Here's my totally hearsay, non-scientific opinion based on discussions with ID faculty:

Tier One: Partners, JHU, UCSF, U Penn, U Washington

I have LORs ready to be submitted.

However none of the three letters are from ID

I have asked the chief of ID and an ID attending for LOR and they both aggreed. However after following up with them multiple times they still have not completed the letters yet.

Would it be better to wait for their letters or submit the three letters I have now?

I'll start it since no one seems to be chiming in. Here's my totally hearsay, non-scientific opinion based on discussions with ID faculty:

Tier One: Partners, JHU, UCSF, U Penn, U Washington

Thank for getting the ball rolling. Also based upon on total hearsay but from what I've heard your list is pretty spot on, at that level prob just depends on particular focus in ID. Im also interested in hearing what people have to say about the so called second tier?

''This email is to confirm that we have received your application''.

This is so annoyingly vague , is this a potential interview , a rejection , what does it all mean ???:bang:

I have asked the chief of ID and an ID attending for LOR and they both aggreed. However after following up with them multiple times they still have not completed the letters yet.

Would it be better to wait for their letters or submit the three letters I have now?

Tough call, I would probably say go ahead and submit and then upload their letters as they come along.

I'm not applying for ID, but I was just perusing the forums. I understand your dilemma. I'd imagine it best to go ahead and submit, but only choose the 2 LORs you're definitely going to use either way (you don't want to upload 3 and then screw yourself out of one of the ID letters). Then go ahead and nudge your ID letter writers so they can submit soon; let them know the timeline & how long it takes to get uploaded, while expressing a lot of gratitude.

I hope this helps! All the best to you!! :)

Interviews have already started going out since the first day 7/15. Just to give an idea, I applied to 23 programs and I am a US-IMG from a community program. Hope this helps and best of luck to everyone!! :)
7/15-UVA
7/18- VCU, Gtown/MedStar WHC, Drexel.
I wonder if applications are being downloaded on M/W/F or once a week like Friday.

Interviews have already started going out since the first day 7/15. Just to give an idea, I applied to 23 programs and I am a US-IMG from a community program. Hope this helps and best of luck to everyone!! :)
7/15-UVA
7/18- VCU, Gtown/MedStar WHC, Drexel.
I wonder if applications are being downloaded on M/W/F or once a week like Friday.

Dang, I'm getting insecure with 0 interview invitations...

Two interviews-7/20- OSU and Wake Forest

Last edited:
Going to consolidate interview invitations so far, feel free to add:

07/15/16: NYMC, Tufts, UVA
07/18/16: VCU, Drexel, OHSU, UW-Madison, Tulane, Rutgers, Loyola, GWU/MedStar, Northwestern, OHSU, UChicago, UMNJ
07/20/16: LSU, Wake forest, OSU, Montiefore, Gtown

P.S @ABatOutofHeck still early , don't sweat it

Last edited:
So I was OCD last year and kept track of when my invites were sent to me. My first was UVA (7/20) with my last being MGH/BWH (8/24). Seems like it was about one invite every 3-7 days, with a bit of a longer gap in August (nothing between 8/4 and 8/20).

Relax, everyone. You'll be fine. It's still very early in the process.