Official 2016-2017 ID Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
08/01: Univ of Colorado

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
07/18/16: VCU, Drexel, OHSU, UW-Madison, Tulane, Rutgers, Loyola, GWU/MedStar, Northwestern, UChicago, UMNJ, UVA
07/19/16: Tufts
07/20/16: LSU, Wake Forest, OSU, Montiefore, Georgetown
7/21/16: Wash U, Stanford, UConn, UT-H
7/22/16: Cornell, UCLA, UMass, Emory, UMD, St. Lukes/Beth Israel, UTH, LSU Drexel
7/25 Rutgers NJMS, Baylor, University of Cincinnati, Michigan, UW-Madison
7/26 Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, NIH, Temple, SLR NYC,, Icahn SLR, Stony brook, Ochsner-NewOrleans, University of Kansas, Medstar-Georgetown
7/27 UConn, NYMC, Carilion, NYU
07/28: University of Washington-Seattle, GWU, Thomas Jefferson, UNC, Duke
7/29: University of Kentucky, Einstein (Philly)
8/1 Penn State, U Missi
8/2 Case Western, Pittsburgh

add Penn state, U Missi, Case Western, and Pittsburgh

07/18/16: VCU, Drexel, OHSU, UW-Madison, Tulane, Rutgers, Loyola, GWU/MedStar, Northwestern, UChicago, UMNJ, UVA
7/22/16: Cornell, UCLA, UMass, Emory, UMD, St. Lukes/Beth Israel, UTH, LSU Drexel
7/25 Rutgers NJMS, Baylor, University of Cincinnati, Michigan, UW-Madison
7/26 Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, NIH, Temple, SLR NYC,, Icahn SLR, Stony brook, Ochsner-NewOrleans, University of Kansas, Medstar-Georgetown
8/1 Penn State, U Missi, U Colorado, Univ of Illinois-Chiacago,
8/2 Case Western, Pittsburgh, UPenn, UCSF

Added UPenn & UCSF! Yea!

7/25 Rutgers NJMS, Baylor, University of Cincinnati, Michigan
8/1 Penn State, U Missi, U Colorado, Univ of Illinois-Chiacago, MUSC, UAMS
8/2 Case Western, Pittsburgh, UPenn, UCSF

Add: MUSC, UAMS

7/26 Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, NIH, Temple, SLR NYC,, Icahn SLR, Stony brook, Ochsner-NewOrleans, University of Kansas, Medstar-Georgetown, UCSD
8/1 Penn State, U Missi, U Colorado, Univ of Illinois-Chiacago, MUSC, UAMS
8/2 Case Western, Pittsburgh, UPenn, UCSF, UIC

Can anyone comment about hearing from Mt. Sinai (main) NYC, MSKCC, Columbia, Downstate, etc. Thank you

7/26 Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, NIH, Temple, SLR NYC,, Icahn SLR, Stony brook, Ochsner-NewOrleans, University of Kansas, Medstar-Georgetown, UCSD
8/1: Penn State, U Missi, U Colorado, Univ of Illinois-Chiacago, MUSC, UAMS
8/2: Case Western, Pittsburgh, UPenn, UCSF, UIC, UC Davis
8/3: Utah, Johns Hopkins

Adding some of these others on.

Members don't see this ad :)
8/3: Utah, Johns Hopkins, UCLA

8/3: Utah, Johns Hopkins, UCLA , LSU(new Orleans), Allegheny GH, Beth Israel (Newark), Rutgers RWJ.

Add ....LSU(new Orleans), Allegheny GH, Beth Israel (Newark),Rutgers RWJ.

I know I've already asked this and heard crickets, but how many interviews are you guys planning on going on? At this point, I've received interview invites from 10 of 12 places I applied to. I thought I would go to every program that invited me, but the plane tickets and clinics I have to reschedule are stacking up. How many interviews to feel safe about matching?

I know I've already asked this and heard crickets, but how many interviews are you guys planning on going on? At this point, I've received interview invites from 10 of 12 places I applied to. I thought I would go to every program that invited me, but the plane tickets and clinics I have to reschedule are stacking up. How many interviews to feel safe about matching?

Probably no more than 10. I guess it depends on how much you think you need to learn about the places (as opposed to knowing a select few are the right fit) and the competitiveness of the places you're applying to (and as a result your personal competitiveness). I have a general sense of how good a number of places are, but the atmosphere, the people and the support at the different programs will be important for me.

I did make the mistake of applying to far too many, so I hear you about scheduling issues and cost. I've gotten to the point of declining certain places right away, which is painful to an extent but necessary.

08/05: Hopkins and NIH rejections

Last edited:
8/3: Utah, Johns Hopkins, UCLA , LSU(new Orleans), Allegheny GH, Beth Israel (Newark), Rutgers RWJ.
8/5: University of Florida

8/5: University of Florida, Orlando Health

rejects from Hopkins and NIH also. Add Orlando

some programs told me they can interview me during the ID week in New Orleans, ...a crazy thought....can we applicants go IDweek as a group, to be interviewed by several interested PD's in the few days time? it's not easy to schedule too many IVs

8/5: University of Florida, Orlando Health, USC

some programs told me they can interview me during the ID week in New Orleans, ...a crazy thought....can we applicants go IDweek as a group, to be interviewed by several interested PD's in the few days time? it's not easy to schedule too many IVs

That makes sense. Can you disclose which program said this? None have offered this to me yet, but then again I haven't asked..

Also would be weary of this. You wouldn't see the institute, you would only interact with a small % of the faculty, and would likely not interact the fellows in the program..

can anyone tell me who carries more weight in the admission decision ? The PD , or the Chief of the dept? Thanks

8/5: University of Florida, Orlando Health, USC
8/8 Sloan Kettering

08/08: BIDMC (sending out in waves obviously)

I found it interesting that JH sent me an invitation but sent you a rejection while BID sent me a rejection but invited you. I guess that's proof that different programs are looking for different things.

Good luck :)

8/5: University of Florida, Orlando Health, USC, Mt. Sinai
8/8 Sloan Kettering, MGH/BWH, Colombia

Added Sinai, MGH/BWH, Colombia.

Any other news from Penn or UCSF?

I found it interesting that JH sent me an invitation but sent you a rejection while BID sent me a rejection but invited you. I guess that's proof that different programs are looking for different things.

Good luck :)

Yes. That is interesting.

8/9 Dartmouth-Hitchcock

invites
8/9 Dartmouth-Hitchcock
8/10 Hofstra,VUMC

rejects
8/5 Hopkins, NIH

Added Hofstra and VUMC

Has anyone heard from Cleveland clinic or Yale ???

invites
8/9 Dartmouth-Hitchcock
8/10 Hofstra,VUMC, Stanford,
8/11Winthrop, MSKCC
8/12 Georgetown, Mayo(Jacksonville), downstate, U Miami

rejects
8/5 Hopkins, NIH

So, my friends, the time to decide on where to interview is coming, and I'm interested in where everyone is thinking.

First--what do you all think are the best programs, all comers? (Knowing strengths and weaknesses are important as is one's fit)
Second--what are some hidden gem programs that you're aware of?
Third--Your top 3-5 programs right now.

Also, again, any second round looks from Penn? That's probably the only one I'm waiting on other than Brown, who are being slow, but I'm starting to guess it's not happening.

BTW, any insight on MSKCC overall?

So, my friends, the time to decide on where to interview is coming, and I'm interested in where everyone is thinking.

First--what do you all think are the best programs, all comers? (Knowing strengths and weaknesses are important as is one's fit)
Second--what are some hidden gem programs that you're aware of?
Third--Your top 3-5 programs right now.

Also, again, any second round looks from Penn? That's probably the only one I'm waiting on other than Brown, who are being slow, but I'm starting to guess it's not happening.

BTW, any insight on MSKCC overall?

-----------------------------------------
Yup def that time

1- Best overall programs: WashU, USCF, MGH/Brighams, UPenn, John Hopkins (other strong mentions Yale, Cornell, Columbia, Emory)
2- Hidden gems: UMD (large program, strong global health, robust clinical experience, strong in HIV, not sure how the research output of the fellows though) , Vandy (although don't know if you can call it hidden), UB seems to be overshadowed by other boston programs but i hear good things about it.
3- From the IVs I've gotten NIH, UCLA, BID (still hoping on second wave from Emory and Vandy, dont think I have the caliber for the other top tier programs)

Any comment on Tulane's program and Dartmouth (big institutes but I don't hear much about their ID departments). I am interested in them due to my interest in global health.

In regards to MSKCC, seems like a no brainer if your interest is transplant ID. Outside of that , not sure.

-----------------------------------------
Yup def that time

1- Best overall programs: WashU, USCF, MGH/Brighams, UPenn, John Hopkins (other strong mentions Yale, Cornell, Columbia, Emory)
2- Hidden gems: UMD (large program, strong global health, robust clinical experience, strong in HIV, not sure how the research output of the fellows though) , Vandy (although don't know if you can call it hidden), UB seems to be overshadowed by other boston programs but i hear good things about it.
3- From the IVs I've gotten NIH, UCLA, BID (still hoping on second wave from Emory and Vandy, dont think I have the caliber for the other top tier programs)

Any comment on Tulane's program and Dartmouth (big institutes but I don't hear much about their ID departments). I am interested in them due to my interest in global health.

In regards to MSKCC, seems like a no brainer if your interest is transplant ID. Outside of that , not sure.

Heard very mixed things about UMD from residents who were previously from there. Lots of work esp on inpatient HIV services with not enough "name," recognition. Although good research opportunities.

From my discussion with someone who recently trained at mskcc; very transplant heavy. They see exotic cases. In order to be tenured there the Staff have their own basic science lab. Rotate at other NYC institutes (Cornell, Brooklyn VA/STD clinic?). Agree with above if interested in Transplant likely great opportunities. I remember the attending said you don't see as much "bread and butter" ID thus if you were thinking private practice might not be up your alley.

Surprised you compared WashU in the list above as best overall. What are you reasons?

Can someone give insight into BID vs MGH/BWH. I know partners is partners but it seems that BID is not as highly regarded as MGH. Is it more clinical focused and less research heavy?

Heard very mixed things about UMD from residents who were previously from there. Lots of work esp on inpatient HIV services with not enough "name," recognition. Although good research opportunities.

From my discussion with someone who recently trained at mskcc; very transplant heavy. They see exotic cases. In order to be tenured there the Staff have their own basic science lab. Rotate at other NYC institutes (Cornell, Brooklyn VA/STD clinic?). Agree with above if interested in Transplant likely great opportunities. I remember the attending said you don't see as much "bread and butter" ID thus if you were thinking private practice might not be up your alley.

Surprised you compared WashU in the list above as best overall. What are you reasons?

Can someone give insight into BID vs MGH/BWH. I know partners is partners but it seems that BID is not as highly regarded as MGH. Is it more clinical focused and less research heavy?

Agree with what you said about UMD. They have strong HIV, esp research with Insitiute of human virology and international HIV(can do up to 6 months abroad)
Sorry i meant UWash, haha . but WashU also good (not as good obviously)

And from what I have heard about BID: Is strong program with lots off research opportunity with partners/harvard faculty. A recent MGH graduate talked very highly of their program and the research opportunities. But in the end def 2nd to MGH.

Any feedback about Pittsburgh? Strengths/weaknesses?

Nina Singh in Transplant. Robust Transplant. Heard they are very "liberal," with their antiinfectives, leading to alot of MDR organisms, etc.
Overall I think solid training. Can't say much more.

Last edited:
8/11/16 Duke - seems like they're sending out in waves. Woohoo!

For top tier, all my ID mentors have actually mentioned Emory as the best in ID at the moment (Incidentally, heard back and rec'd IVs from almost all programs I wanted to be at except Emory *sadface*).

re UMD has a huge HIV research department and significant amount of research funding as well for virology and vaccine development. Robust and well organized ID program with good clout throughout the medicine department from what I remember. Separate inpatient HIV service and critical care ID service if these are of any interest (Granted this information is what I remember from residency interviews).