Official 2016-2017: Oh no, I don't have a single Interview Invite thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we go back to talking about @LizzyM turkey rule and Thanksgiving

L2GRvxA.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got my first II today!!! To those getting nervous, everyday is new and you never know what might happen. (Got my first rejection immediately after too.. win some lose some).

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 users
not to derail the thread any further, because i'm not really talking about not having IIs either....but is there any truth to the "rumor" that if you got an early II, you'll likely get more as the cycle progresses?

i recognize it depends on other things: ie how many schools you applied to etc etc. but i'm getting kinda bummed about applying to 30+ schools and not receiving any positive word since end of august :(

Reactions: 3 users
Is that Nelson Mandela's lesser known cousin
Does trolling SDN make you feel better about your sad life? All you ever do on here is put people down, are you that insecure that diminishing others is the only way you can find self worth? And you think you deserve to be a doctor? To have other people entirely trust you with their lives when you have absolutely no respect for them? Doctors are supposed to help people and build others up. Grow up and get a f***ing life dude...

Reactions: 1 users
Got my first II today!!! To those getting nervous, everyday is new and you never know what might happen. (Got my first rejection immediately after too.. win some lose some). To those who are still left trying to salvage this thread, I leave you with this:View attachment 210023

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Finally a positive post! And congrats on that interview :)

Does trolling SDN make you feel better about your sad life? All you ever do on here is put people down, are you that insecure that diminishing others is the only way you can find self worth? And you think you deserve to be a doctor? To have other people entirely trust you with their lives when you have absolutely no respect for them? Doctors are supposed to help people and build others up. Grow up and get a f***ing life dude...
Of all the things bara posts, you picked that one to be mad about?

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And here I thought this thread was gonna get back on topic...

not to derail the thread any further, because i'm not really talking about not having IIs either....but is there any truth to the "rumor" that if you got an early II, you'll likely get more as the cycle progresses?

i recognize it depends on other things: ie how many schools you applied to etc etc. but i'm getting kinda bummed about applying to 30+ schools and not receiving any positive word since end of august :(
To my knowledge this process is pretty random. It's not like school A knows you'll be interviewing at school B, and then school A be like "Hey let's give this guy more interviews." It doesn't work like that and each school is independent. But getting an early II should assure someone that there's nothing wrong with their app.

EDIT: Also it's not Thanksgiving yet! Stay strong!;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Wait, so did you got 4 interviews this cycle or zero?
I mean at this point during the last cycle I applied in (2014-2015), I already had gone through 4 interviews. During this current cycle, I have had no interviews or invites.

I'm so confused rn
I just made a joke?

I think we need an inspirational @bananafish94 post to bring it back to reality

Guys, before you make another post, do me a favor. Rub one out real fast and real hard. Don't worry, I can wait. Then post and I think everything will settle down.

Where's my damn nobel peace prize?

Reactions: 13 users
To my knowledge this process is pretty random. It's not like school A knows you'll be interviewing at school B, and then school A be like "Hey let's give this guy more interviews." It doesn't work like that and each school is independent. But getting an early II should assure someone that there's nothing wrong with their app.

EDIT: Also it's not Thanksgiving yet! Stay strong!;)
Thanks, buddy. That was actually very encouraging. Sometimes we all need a little reassurance. In that way, I actually understand you, bars lol

Thanks, buddy. That was actually very encouraging. Sometimes we all need a little reassurance. In that way, I actually understand you, bars lol
dude i'm too out of the loop to be mad at anyone

Hey, a little more than two weeks ago I had only rejections and was questioning myself if there was something wrong with my app. Someone PMed me that I should not be worried and I got my first II a week later. Look at @CaseVB 's post up there, you never know when it happens! I'm just trying my best to keep fellow applicants a little more positive :)

"all you need is one"

i whisper as i cry myself to sleep

Reactions: 2 users
So glad @baratheonfire is back :) Hope you get II's soon homie. Don't leave! You make this site super fun(ny) in a good way :)

Reactions: 2 users
I think we need an inspirational @bananafish94 post to bring it back to reality
I'm not inspirational, I'm just a normal person who has been through what you guys are going through!

This may be overly trite, but it's a strategy that helps me when I am worried about something: think about the last time you were worried about something. It probably seemed like a pressing issue at the time, but through some means it was resolved. This is the natural order of things, and come November or December you may very well reflect on this day and think, "I was worried about when I was going to receive my first interview, and now I am worried about how to prepare for that interview." Then, "two weeks ago, I was worried about how to prepare for the interview, and now all I can think about is whether or not I will be accepted." And hopefully, "on October 20th, I was worried about when I was going to get my first interview, and now I'm worried about choosing the right school to attend."

Also, and this is really true, things happen when you least expect them. We construct these arbitrary dates where we are supposed to hear something, where we are supposed to reach some landmark in the process, but it really does nobody any good. A quick anecdote: I had just graduated college, and nobody had been accepted off the Rosalind Franklin waitlist, according to SDN. This was a Monday, and I was convinced that they were going to send out acceptances off the waitlist. My roommate came up with this idea to sneak into our dorm building where we met freshman year and take a walk down memory lane. I built up this fantasy in my head of me opening an email to a medical school acceptance in my original dorm room and telling this awesome story of how the whole thing came full circle right as I graduated. It had to happen today, it would be so perfect. What actually happened is that I walked into my old dorm room, opened my email to find no new emails, then opened Facebook to see one of my acquaintances boasting of an acceptance to Rosalind Franklin.

The moral of the story is this--throughout the whole year, I kept telling myself that things were going to happen on this day. Today is the day that everything finally starts working because of reasons X, Y, and Z. But that never happened, and literally every good thing that happened to me, happened when I wasn't even thinking about medical school.

Also, friendly reminder that at this point last year I still had to wait over two months before receiving my first interview. I still have high hopes for all of you.

Reactions: 36 users
I'm not inspirational, I'm just a normal person who has been through what you guys are going through!

This may be overly trite, but it's a strategy that helps me when I am worried about something: think about the last time you were worried about something. It probably seemed like a pressing issue at the time, but through some means it was resolved. This is the natural order of things, and come November or December you may very well reflect on this day and think, "I was worried about when I was going to receive my first interview, and now I am worried about how to prepare for that interview." Then, "two weeks ago, I was worried about how to prepare for the interview, and now all I can think about is whether or not I will be accepted." And hopefully, "on October 20th, I was worried about when I was going to get my first interview, and now I'm worried about choosing the right school to attend."

Also, and this is really true, things happen when you least expect them. We construct these arbitrary dates where we are supposed to hear something, where we are supposed to reach some landmark in the process, but it really does nobody any good. A quick anecdote: I had just graduated college, and nobody had been accepted off the Rosalind Franklin waitlist, according to SDN. This was a Monday, and I was convinced that they were going to send out acceptances off the waitlist. My roommate came up with this idea to sneak into our dorm building where we met freshman year and take a walk down memory lane. I built up this fantasy in my head of me opening an email to a medical school acceptance in my original dorm room and telling this awesome story of how the whole thing came full circle right as I graduated. It had to happen today, it would be so perfect. What actually happened is that I walked into my old dorm room, opened my email to find no new emails, then opened Facebook to see one of my acquaintances boasting of an acceptance to Rosalind Franklin.

The moral of the story is this--throughout the whole year, I kept telling myself that things were going to happen on this day. Today is the day that everything finally starts working because of reasons X, Y, and Z. But that never happened, and literally every good thing that happened to me, happened when I wasn't even thinking about medical school.

Also, friendly reminder that at this point last year I still had to wait over two months before receiving my first interview. I still have high hopes for all of you.
Make love to me you sexy beast. Platonic love btw.

IT'S THE BANANAFISH!!!

Just a few words of solace: It's still early in the game despite the whole Thanksgiving paradigm that floats around these parts. I received 4/5 of my interviews in January (complete in August), so hang in there

Reactions: 13 users
So how do/did people deal with the stress of the application cycle compounded with the stresses of work/school, family/friend issues, and the random mishaps in life that inevitably ruin your day?

So how do/did people deal with the stress of the application cycle compounded with the stresses of work/school, family/friend issues, and the random mishaps in life that inevitably ruin your day?
Eat.

But seriously, find something you enjoy that relieves stress. I keep a saltwater aquarium and find it so relaxing.

Reactions: 8 users
Just a few words of solace: It's still early in the game despite the whole Thanksgiving paradigm that floats around these parts. I received 4/5 of my interviews in January (complete in August), so hang in there

When did you receive the other 1/5?

+1. Have been getting rejection pre and post secondary since I submitted my AMCAS. Have received a bunch of them in the past 2 weeks (including schools near home and my alma mater). Really could use some support and positivity.

Reactions: 4 users

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Sexiest post here

Reactions: 5 users
Hi all! Got four rejections this week, bringing my tally to nine with no II in sight. I have 16 schools I haven't heard back from yet, but of those, many are reaches. Do y'all think it's worth it to submit a few more secondaries that I didn't fill out, or is it pretty futile at this point? My advisor hasn't been helpful on this, so I just wanted some more voices.

(Happy to PM anyone some more info about stats etc, I'm a weird-ass applicant and easily identifiable so I'd like to preserve anonymity.)

Hi all! Got four rejections this week, bringing my tally to nine with no II in sight. I have 16 schools I haven't heard back from yet, but of those, many are reaches. Do y'all think it's worth it to submit a few more secondaries that I didn't fill out, or is it pretty futile at this point? My advisor hasn't been helpful on this, so I just wanted some more voices.

(Happy to PM anyone some more info about stats etc, I'm a weird-ass applicant and easily identifiable so I'd like to preserve anonymity.)

I think sending out secondaries this late in October is a futile effort, unless you're talking about DO schools. Were you able to ask any of the schools you were rejected from for feedback on your app?

I think sending out secondaries this late in October is a futile effort, unless you're talking about DO schools. Were you able to ask any of the schools you were rejected from for feedback on your app?

They were all pre-interview rejections, so I didn't feel comfortable doing so. Plus many of them explicitly say in the email they don't do individual app reviews- think it's worth a shot to ask the ones who didn't?

I would agree the only risk though is loosing some money so why not?

They were all pre-interview rejections, so I didn't feel comfortable doing so. Plus many of them explicitly say in the email they don't do individual app reviews- think it's worth a shot to ask the ones who didn't?
They likely won't be able to provide any review of your application until later in the season. By November of last year I started a new activity based on my own assessment of deficiency. And then another complementary activity. Most schools will not provide feedback until too late for you to adequately address deficiencies in the 2-3 months before the cycle re-opens. You either have to self-assess, seek outside help, or wait and take a gap year. The only schools that provided me feedback said I needed to do X (which I had already started), so they said I could feel confident reapplying the next year. They said that they more-often recommend a year off to adequately improve applications -- perhaps because people waited until March to start, or because the deficits were less easily corrected in less than a year. I'm a non-trad applicant with 1 cycle of 0 II's, but a much more successful cycle this year (though no acceptances yet). If you want to PM me, you can feel free to and I'd give a perspective if you're unwilling to post in the What Are My Chances forum (where you can get a lot of useful feedback from successful applicants and adcom members).

They likely won't be able to provide any review of your application until later in the season. By November of last year I started a new activity based on my own assessment of deficiency. And then another complementary activity. Most schools will not provide feedback until too late for you to adequately address deficiencies in the 2-3 months before the cycle re-opens. You either have to self-assess, seek outside help, or wait and take a gap year. The only schools that provided me feedback said I needed to do X (which I had already started), so they said I could feel confident reapplying the next year. They said that they more-often recommend a year off to adequately improve applications -- perhaps because people waited until March to start, or because the deficits were less easily corrected in less than a year. I'm a non-trad applicant with 1 cycle of 0 II's, but a much more successful cycle this year (though no acceptances yet). If you want to PM me, you can feel free to and I'd give a perspective if you're unwilling to post in the What Are My Chances forum (where you can get a lot of useful feedback from successful applicants and adcom members).

Agree with this. Above poster is pretty smart ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.