Official 2016-2017: Oh no, I don't have a single Interview Invite thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not to derail the thread any further, because i'm not really talking about not having IIs either....but is there any truth to the "rumor" that if you got an early II, you'll likely get more as the cycle progresses?

i recognize it depends on other things: ie how many schools you applied to etc etc. but i'm getting kinda bummed about applying to 30+ schools and not receiving any positive word since end of august :(

I wish. Got an II mid July, interviewed mid September, and then wait listed 2 days ago. Other than that, nothing but rejections, holds, and silence. I know this is a no-II thread, but I'm feeling this category right now to be honest

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
that was also a lie, I don't have friends and I don't go to parties

Reactions: 31 users
What are you talking about? *Wipes drool from face*

Reactions: 5 users
Bara, what kinds of schools did u apply to? I'm legitimately curious.

Bara, what kinds of schools did u apply to? I'm legitimately curious.
Highest ranked school I applied to was either BU or Einstein, not sure which is higher
Almost all were mid/low-tier

Reactions: 1 user
Highest ranked school I applied to was either BU or Einstein, not sure which is higher
Almost all were mid/low-tier
PM me your list and I will run through my spreadsheet to see if it lines up. Applying too low is also detrimental to one's health.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all! Got four rejections this week, bringing my tally to nine with no II in sight. I have 16 schools I haven't heard back from yet, but of those, many are reaches. Do y'all think it's worth it to submit a few more secondaries that I didn't fill out, or is it pretty futile at this point? My advisor hasn't been helpful on this, so I just wanted some more voices.

(Happy to PM anyone some more info about stats etc, I'm a weird-ass applicant and easily identifiable so I'd like to preserve anonymity.)
Yes, submit secondaries. I know two people (not high flyers or URMs who weren't complete until after 10/15 last year who are now at MD schools. Just do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Days Since Secondary Completion

Average: 58.7
Median: 72
Max: 80
Min: 16

But it only takes 1 day!

Reactions: 2 users
WTF I GOT ANOTHER REJECTION

I feel you, I got another hold today and at this point I'm wondering if I'm actually an unintentional buttface in my writing or if its my GPA or I'm just too impatient to take a seat.

WTF I GOT ANOTHER REJECTION
Random question, did you not go to a big name school and applied to a lot of private schools? I went to a no-name school that no one has heard of and I have 0 love from private schools. They're a lot more into the prestige of your undergrad, or so aamc says

Random question, did you not go to a big name school and applied to a lot of private schools? I went to a no-name school that no one has heard of and I have 0 love from private schools. They're a lot more into the prestige of your undergrad, or so aamc says
nah this rejection was from Indiana
I went to a relatively well known undergrad, top 40 on US news at least

nah this rejection was from Indiana
I went to a relatively well known undergrad, top 40 on US news at least
Hm, ok, never mind then. Your app is a mystery to everyone so far ;)

WAIT YALL I GOT MY FIRST II FOR MD SCHOOLS JUST NOW AFTER COMPLAINING FOR 3+ MONTHS I STRAIGHT UP JUST GASPED LOUDLY IN MY TOO QUIET OFFICE AREA

Reactions: 23 users
grats broseph

Don't worry friend I'm sure you're up soon. I've also got somewhat of a lower GPA, higher MCAT (i wish as nice as yours but you know, we work with what we got here)

GOOD LUCK TO ALL IN THIS THREAD I WILL POP IN AND ENCOURAGE YALL FROM TIME TO TIME

WAIT YALL I GOT MY FIRST II FOR MD SCHOOLS JUST NOW AFTER COMPLAINING FOR 3+ MONTHS I STRAIGHT UP JUST GASPED LOUDLY IN MY TOO QUIET OFFICE AREA
Ayyy the first one is always the best one!

Reactions: 5 users

Congrats! The first interview is always the most relieving one. Before I got my first one, it was literally almost 2 months of complete silence. I even came up with crazy theories as a defense mechanism for why, like what if one of my LOR writers secretly despised me and took the great pleasure in accepting my LOR request to screw over my future. Or maybe I made a huge typo like say "orgasm" instead of "organism" on my personal statement or wrote a wrong school name on my secondary. I guess reading from many of these posts (this cycle and previous ones), everyone gets these thoughts and it feels a bit reassuring that all those people turned out fine.

Reactions: 6 users
So how do/did people deal with the stress of the application cycle compounded with the stresses of work/school, family/friend issues, and the random mishaps in life that inevitably ruin your day?
Geee, if only a kindhearted banana had made an entire post dedicated to this very question :whistle:

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats! The first interview is always the most relieving one. Before I got my first one, it was literally almost 2 months of complete silence. I even came up with crazy theories as a defense mechanism for why, like what if one of my LOR writers secretly despised me and took the great pleasure in accepting my LOR request to screw over my future. Or maybe I made a huge typo like say "orgasm" instead of "organism" on my personal statement or wrote a wrong school name on my secondary. I guess reading from many of these posts (this cycle and previous ones), everyone gets these thoughts and it feels a bit reassuring that all those people turned out fine.

That's funny, I got my first II mid October after being complete July-Mid august and was thinking the same sort of stuff. LOR backstab, some red flag exists I don't even know about, copy/paste error with my secondaries maybe, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Getting IIs seemingly early and having your hopes up only to be crushed with a 2 month silence from the vast majority of your schools also stings a wee bit.

Reactions: 12 users
The worst!! I definitely thought it was a good sign for more interviews to come. On my end, it's not even silence-- rejected at a number of schools. But hey, at least we know there aren't glaring red flags on our apps! Here's hoping we match the missions of more schools we've applied to lol.
Getting IIs seemingly early and having your hopes up only to be crushed with a 2 month silence from the vast majority of your schools also stings a wee bit.

You know this thread started out as one of my least favorite threads on SDN, but MAN my opinion has changed.

We even got an appearance from that dude who tries to troll @Goro ! I haven't seen that poster in months!

Reactions: 3 users
I watched the "match days" of several schools I am planning on visiting. I made two observations.

1. It is extremely exciting to watch people see their dreams come true.
2. Even Neurosurgeons and all sorts of special medical genius just look like regular people. When you think of who else is going to be a doctor remember that it is probably a bunch of nice good people like yourself. As opposed to this robot who just lives to crush others.

Just some optimism for this thread about the future.

Reactions: 4 users
Are you from the state of IN?
Or a neighboring state?
Does Indiana only accept Indiana or nearby residents, Goro? I applied but only because I saw they had matriculants from Cali. Perhaps only superstars? Either way, was rejected lol

Welll, they appreciated the donation.

nah but I thought they took OOS so I applied
No secondary anyway so I was like w/e

State schools favor the home team, so one has to be >>avg for OOS.
Does Indiana only accept Indiana or nearby residents, Goro? I applied but only because I saw they had matriculants from Cali. Perhaps only superstars? Either way, was rejected lol

Welll, they appreciated the donation.

State schools favor the home team, so one has to be >>avg for OOS.

Applying OOS isn't always simply just a donation. I have an average MCAT and was accepted to a school in Texas as an OOS applicant. Am not a minority or impoverished. However, I would note that outside of my MCAT my application was pretty stellar. You don't have a shot if you don't at least apply.

Congratulations for your success. But you're an anecdote. I know people who have won the Lotto, but that doesn't mean we should all go out and buy tickets. In this process, it's best to be realistic.

Applying OOS isn't always simply just a donation. I have an average MCAT and was accepted to a school in Texas as an OOS applicant. Am not a minority or impoverished. However, I would note that outside of my MCAT my application was pretty stellar. You don't have a shot if you don't at least apply.

Reactions: 7 users
Congratulations for your success. But you're an anecdote. I know people who have won the Lotto, but that doesn't mean we should all go out and buy tickets. In this process, it's best to be realistic.

I see both sides to this argument. But for example, I have just one state school with many of the surrounding state schools explicitly stating they don't accept OOS students unless they are legacies, from certain counties, etc. How else am I supposed to come up with a school list if I don't include some OOS schools? Obviously you have to be smart about which ones you pick, but it's not like you can just come up with 15 private schools to apply to and have a reasonable shot at getting in if you don't have above average stats compared to matriculants. You can't get in if you don't apply.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it! I do recognize your point and completely agree that applying OOS generally is very tough and simply unrealistic for most schools. I'm simply saying, if I had been realistic, I would still be going to bed every night worrying about whether or not I would ever get in somewhere.

I see both sides to this argument. But for example, I have just one state school with many of the surrounding state schools explicitly stating they don't accept OOS students unless they are legacies, from certain counties, etc. How else am I supposed to come up with a school list if I don't include some OOS schools? Obviously you have to be smart about which ones you pick, but it's not like you can just come up with 15 private schools to apply to and have a reasonable shot at getting in if you don't have above average stats compared to matriculants. You can't get in if you don't apply.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/factstablea1.pdf

I translated this table into an excel sheet and sorted by percent OOS matriculants with schools that were in my range for scores. One can avoid applying to schools with 1% OOS acceptance rate and save some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.