Official 2016-2017: Oh no, I don't have a single Interview Invite thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/factstablea1.pdf

I translated this table into an excel sheet and sorted by percent OOS matriculants with schools that were in my range for scores. One can avoid applying to schools with 1% OOS acceptance rate and save some money.
Well thats obvious and if someone thinks they are smart enough to apply to medical school yet can't decipher that on their own, there are bigger problems. But I'm not talking about schools with 1% acceptance rates. I applied to double digit schools and spent less than $270 on all of my secondaries, and that is not with any waiver or anything like that.

Members don't see this ad.

You apply to private schools. We're discussing public MD schools, when I say that (pay attention): "public schools favor the home team".

The taxpayers want to know that you'll stick around in their state to practice medicine since they're subsidizing your tuition.

So for the private schools, just be > 10th %ile in stats when making up your list.

I see both sides to this argument. But for example, I have just one state school with many of the surrounding state schools explicitly stating they don't accept OOS students unless they are legacies, from certain counties, etc. How else am I supposed to come up with a school list if I don't include some OOS schools? Obviously you have to be smart about which ones you pick, but it's not like you can just come up with 15 private schools to apply to and have a reasonable shot at getting in if you don't have above average stats compared to matriculants. You can't get in if you don't apply.

Reactions: 1 user
https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/factstablea1.pdf

I translated this table into an excel sheet and sorted by percent OOS matriculants with schools that were in my range for scores. One can avoid applying to schools with 1% OOS acceptance rate and save some money.

You have to be careful with this method, schools like UWash accept a high OOS % because they favor students in Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho as well. Additionally, as stated above, schools will have more stringent stat thresholds for OOS - especially for Public schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
You apply to private schools. We're discussing public MD schools, when I say that (pay attention): "public schools favor the home team".

The taxpayers want to know that you'll stick around in their state to practice medicine since they're subsidizing your tuition.

So for the private schools, just be > 10th %ile in stats when making up your list.

I wasn't referring to private schools when I mentioned the OOS schools. I should have worded that better. All I meant was that it is hard to come up with a big list of private schools where one has a solid chance at given that they usually have higher stats. It is inevitable that when one only has one IS school, you are going to have to apply to some nearby public OOS schools keeping in mind that it will be more difficult to get in of course.

I wasn't referring to private schools when I mentioned the OOS schools. I should have worded that better. All I meant was that it is hard to come up with a big list of private schools where one has a solid chance at given that they usually have higher stats. It is inevitable that when one only has one IS school, you are going to have to apply to some nearby public OOS schools keeping in mind that it will be more difficult to get in of course.
Im an applicant that is considered OOS for every school and so far my 3 IIs have come from public schools just my 2 cents

In this line of reasoning I filtered schools for anything less than 25% oos would be excluded from my list. The threshold for this filter could probably vary on the risk tolerance of the applicant and the general adherence to YOLO. It's just a low yield strategy, the confounder with this is that applicants that take this strategy usually have lizzyMs in the bottom 60's and think that they are competitive for these state schools based on published data.

In this line of reasoning I filtered schools for anything less than 25% oos would be excluded from my list. The threshold for this filter could probably vary on the risk tolerance of the applicant and the general adherence to YOLO. It's just a low yield strategy, the confounder with this is that applicants that take this strategy usually have lizzyMs in the bottom 60's and think that they are competitive for these state schools based on published data.
As a CA resident I had the same strategy..but many of my OOS schools had a better interview rate than my IS schools
:rofl:fml

This is nonsensical. A median candidate (one who has a 3.6-3.7 GPA and an MCAT of ~31) is competitive for all these private schools:

Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Gtown
GWU
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Any DO program.
One's state school.

A weaker candidate will not be more attractive to OOS public schools.

no interviews, 2.9 GPA, 515 mcat, don't know what to do, today i asked the dr i was shadowing for a rec letter and he said no becuase i come in late and leave early, but i told him i have class, and he said, 'but you should have told me' said i lack professionalism, and then said, "YOU DIDN'T GET AN INTERVIEW SO FAR SO OBVIOUSLY THEIR IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU" ouch but so true, i never had a girlfriend, am very introverted, while shadowing i stutter when i talk to patients, he said i have poor interpersonal skills. not much friends, i don't know what to do, i feel like garbage, but i am reading self help books a lot

and what the doctor said is true and something i have been thinkng for a very long time, that no one really likes me and that their is somethign wrong with me, but i am reading lots of selg help books so i don't know maybe books like the secret are correct, so maybe i will become better one day but i am old now, 26, so i don't know how much i will be able to improve i get nervous and stutter a lot and

no interviews, 2.9 GPA, 515 mcat, don't know what to do, today i asked the dr i was shadowing for a rec letter and he said no becuase i come in late and leave early, but i told him i have class, and he said, 'but you should have told me' said i lack professionalism, and then said, "YOU DIDN'T GET AN INTERVIEW SO FAR SO OBVIOUSLY THEIR IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU" ouch but so true, i never had a girlfriend, am very introverted, while shadowing i stutter when i talk to patients, he said i have poor interpersonal skills. not much friends, i don't know what to do, i feel like garbage, but i am reading self help books a lot

Oh my gosh! Okay don't get too down. The doctor might have been a little brutal to say the least. There is still time to get interviews so don't lose hope and don't look down on yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
and in a dr you can't stutter and have to be outgoing also i have a low gpa due to varous issues and have done postbacc's well but i don't know what the future hold for me, i just feel like such a failre when he said that and it only hurts cause its true

Oh my gosh! Okay don't get too down. The doctor might have been a little brutal to say the least. There is still time to get interviews so don't lose hope and don't look down on yourself.

i guess but at the end of the day he was correct, i am a problem person, failed classes, i don't know what to do, i am very introverted and shy

Members don't see this ad :)
i have been trying to meet people and have started research and have made some improvements and was thinking that i was making good progress, and was optismistic about the future.

@thestrugglingturtle

Hey buddy, PM me if you need someone to talk to. I'm always up for being a listening ear.

I'm really sorry that the doc said that to you. There was probably a more polite way to say it, but it is what it is.

Reactions: 7 users
and then he refused to write a letter and said those words and i feel like i am going back into my shell. i have spent the past 2 years actually making an active efford to come out of my shell and improve myself and it seems like i just pushed back in, i feel like i will never be successful even the dr said "WOULD YOU REALLY WANT A DOCTOR LIKE YOURSELF?"

and in a dr you can't stutter and have to be outgoing also i have a low gpa due to varous issues and have done postbacc's well but i don't know what the future hold for me, i just feel like such a failre when he said that and it only hurts cause its true
Hey friend keep up the fight. Dont let some words from a person that barely knows you get to you! What do your post bac grades look like and have you applied to schools which like reinvention. Have you also applied to DO schools? Your GPA is lethal for MD schools and that may be the reason they are not interviewing you. Everyone has a hard day once in a while but what we do with it and how we use it to grow is what is important. Good Luck.
Feel free to PM me if you just want to talk or something.

@thestrugglingturtle

Hey buddy, PM me if you need someone to talk to. I'm always up for being a listening ear.

I'm really sorry that the doc said that to you. There was probably a more polite way to say it, but it is what it is.

Thanks a lot for that, really appreciate it. i don't know why he felt so strongly? he teaches medical school students, so he knows what he is taking about. whenever a patient talks to me i just stutter out words, so i don't make eye contact with patients, i just smile at them so i guess i come across as nuts

Hey friend keep up the fight. Dont let some words from a person that barely knows you get to you! What do your post bac grades look like and have you applied to schools which like reinvention. Have you also applied to DO schools? Your GPA is lethal for MD schools and that may be the reason they are not interviewing you. Everyone has a hard day once in a while but what we do with it and how we use it to grow is what is important. Good Luck.

thanks a lot, I've only applied to texas schools so far, should have applied to DO schools, really my fault, applied to the texas do school though. post bacc good, 3.7 around.

Thanks a lot for that, really appreciate it. i don't know why he felt so strongly? he teaches medical school students, so he knows what he is taking about. whenever a patient talks to me i just stutter out words, so i don't make eye contact with patients, i just smile at them so i guess i come across as nuts
Maybe there is professional help you can seek in this regard, I am unsure if the stuttering is related to something.

Being introverted does NOT mean you can not be a good doctor.

Whether what he said was true or not, that was kind of harsh, and anybody that is that much of a d*** to somebody asking them for help makes a really shi**y doctor, in my opinion.

If you have real issues, see a therapist or something. Work on it. Dont give up on what you want to do just because of someone elses words.
Screw him.

Reactions: 3 users
Being introverted does NOT mean you can not be a good doctor.

Whether what he said was true or not, that was kind of harsh, and anybody that is that much of a d*** to somebody asking them for help makes a really shi**y doctor, in my opinion.

If you have real issues, see a therapist or something. Work on it. Dont give up on what you want to do just because of someone elses words.
Screw him.

thanks a lot, never give up, never give up

really nothing can be done, i stutter when i've nervous, im improving i think so i don't know we will see.
I had a buddy in my old platoon who had a really bad stutter, but got help for it and showed a huge improvement.
A lot of it is confidence, which CAN be improved.

really nothing can be done, i stutter when i've nervous, im improving i think so i don't know we will see.
Maybe a speech therapist or some professional may be able to give you more suggestions around it?
What type of Doctor are you trying to be? Rads? Path?

and then he refused to write a letter and said those words and i feel like i am going back into my shell. i have spent the past 2 years actually making an active efford to come out of my shell and improve myself and it seems like i just pushed back in, i feel like i will never be successful even the dr said "WOULD YOU REALLY WANT A DOCTOR LIKE YOURSELF?"
Hey! I'm actually really mad for you!!! That guy was a total d*ck to you! He has to know you're shy, and struggling and for him to put you down further was just completely uncalled for.

I am in a similar position to you; low GPA, getting older and feeling like I've struggled even to get here. But I have had a couple of interviews now and if I can do it so can you!!!

One thing I really want to say to you is something I tell myself all the time: there have been plenty of naysayers and people who told me I'd never succeed in getting into medical school. Hell! There's even been many rejection letters at this point. But all its done is make me all the more resolute and dedicated to my goals. Most importantly, it's instilled in me the desire to be a change in the system when I get there: to help the kids who are struggling instead of being a naysayer like so many were to me. I hope you'll do the same so our future physician selves can change lives of others in our shoes.

Hang in there!!

Reactions: 8 users
Dude, that doc is not cool and you shouldn't feel bad about yourself. You tried your best to improve, and you will continue to improve. I moved to the states during high school and my English was literally sh** at that time. I wanted to improve, but I just didn't know how because different languages function differently and I struggled a lot. I didn't talk much in class and everyone thought I was either weird or antisocial. I still have to refer to the dictionary at times to make sure I'm was using words or phrases correctly whenever I write papers or essays. I tell myself everyday "You are hard-working and your rewards will eventually come." I'm sure you can overcome your own challenges as well! PM me, too if you wanna talk.

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe a speech therapist or some professional may be able to give you more suggestions around it?
What type of Doctor are you trying to be? Rads? Path?

Maybe but, its expensive and I'm doing post-bacc now... Im not sure about which doctor, but i do enjoy talking to people and when im not nervous i don't stutter, so we'll see

@thestrugglingturtle Hi, a couple of tricks I have found that really help in social situations is to always try to be nice to others, like complementing them when they come with a new haircut, smiling when you see them in the hallway, and offering to let them borrow your umbrella if they are going out for lunch and it's raining. Simple things like that really go a long way in letting people know you are a nice person deep down, and most people will reciprocate the kindness, and some people will even start to go out of their way to be your friend. you also mentioned you stutter when you are nervous, well many people do uncontrollable things when they are nervous, the key is to practice talking to people so you are eventually not nervous anymore, and your stutter will diminish.

Oh and about the no girlfriend thing: Girls love heartfelt complements. For example, if a girl at work is very good in front of patients so that all patients love her, you can smile and say to her "You are so good with patients. They all love you. I wish I can be that natural around patients." Everyone loves hearing the first part and will want to help you after hearing the second part.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey! I'm actually really mad for you!!! That guy was a total d*ck to you! He has to know you're shy, and struggling and for him to put you down further was just completely uncalled for.

I am in a similar position to you; low GPA, getting older and feeling like I've struggled even to get here. But I have had a couple of interviews now and if I can do it so can you!!!

One thing I really want to say to you is something I tell myself all the time: there have been plenty of naysayers and people who told me I'd never succeed in getting into medical school. Hell! There's even been many rejection letters at this point. But all its done is make me all the more resolute and dedicated to my goals. Most importantly, it's instilled in me the desire to be a change in the system when I get there: to help the kids who are struggling instead of being a naysayer like so many were to me. I hope you'll do the same so our future physician selves can change lives of others in our shoes.

Hang in there!!

wow thanks a lot for that inspiration! that is why i read a lot of self-help books, ernest holmes, joel goldsmith. they keep me going. no point in giving up, just the first time i'm applying.

the dr was very polite about it, but i suppose it was a wake up call. at least im this far, a few years ago i would be too shy to shadow a doctor so i guess that is progress.

@thestrugglingturtle Hi, a couple of tricks I have found that really help in social situations is to always try to be nice to others, like complementing them when they come with a new haircut, smiling when you see them in the hallway, and offering to let them borrow your umbrella if they are going out for lunch and it's raining. Simple things like that really go a long way in letting people know you are a nice person deep down, and most people will reciprocate the kindness, and some people will even start to go out of their way to be your friend. you also mentioned you stutter when you are nervous, well many people do uncontrollable things when they are nervous, the key is to practice talking to people so you are eventually not nervous anymore, and your stutter will diminish.

Oh and about the no girlfriend thing: Girls love heartfelt complements. For example, if a girl at work is very good in front of patients so that all patients love her, you can smile and say to her "You are so good with patients. They all love you. I wish I can be that natural around patients." Everyone loves hearing the first part and will want to help you after hearing the second part.

Thanks a lot for all that advice, really appreciate everyone here. i try to do that, i've read a number books on how to make friends in fact, i would say i'm improving but of course, you are always going to have setbacks i suppose, but overall is see some progress, maybe next cycle, i don't know

the dr was very polite about it, but i suppose it was a wake up call. at least im this far, a few years ago i would be too shy to shadow a doctor so i guess that is progress.
1) good on you for turning rude comments into constructive criticism. That's a huge sign of maturity
2) good on you for recognizing your progress and giving credit to yourself. That's something that I struggle with personally.

You'll be ok.

Reactions: 4 users
Remember it's garbage can not garbage can't!
On a more serious note, you do your best and let the cards fall where they may. Be proud of your accomplishments. Be proud of your communication skills. I read your paragraph and you seem like a decent person to be around! Nothing wrong with not having a girlfriend and definitely nothing wrong with being introverted. Keep truckin on!

I'm sorry that happened to you. There's no excuse for saying something like that to another person, and I would not want to be treated by a doctor who thinks that is acceptable (or professional) behavior.

I just want to say that I spoke with a doctor today who had to apply to medical school five times to get in. Five. He retook the MCAT three times. He failed a lot along the way, but he didn't give up, and now he's a physician. And he's a damn good one (I've worked with him as a scribe).

So to all of those feeling like **** because you don't have interviews (myself included, got another rejection today) or what-have-you, just remember, as long as you are working on becoming better all the time, you can eventually reach your goal. Maybe it won't turn out exactly like you plan, but it can happen if you put the work in. This is an extremely competitive profession. Getting in the first time is statistically less likely to happen than not getting in.

Reactions: 10 users

Hey buddy you're not alone. There's a ton of us who haven't gotten an interview yet. There are also a lot of people who continue to get interviews all the way till March! A friend of mine got an invite last minute in April and guess what? She's a medical student now. That was a horrible thing for him to say. I suggest shadowing a few more doctors. The majority I have met have been fantastic and very supportive. Keep your chin up. I think it was very brave of you to even shadow a doctor (I know it can be intimidating to ask).

Maybe but, its expensive and I'm doing post-bacc now... Im not sure about which doctor, but i do enjoy talking to people and when im not nervous i don't stutter, so we'll see

FYI, when I was shadowing at the ICU a couple of years ago, I met a resident from UWash who had some moderate stuttering issues. It took her a a little longer than others to present her patients during morning rounds, but everyone was really polite to her. She was well liked by other residents and attendings, and no one gave her crap for stuttering. I don't think it should stop you from pursuing medicine! Have more confidence in yourself :)

Stop. Stop right there.

There is nothing wrong with you dude. Don't ever think that.

I've been in the same place as you, I know how hard it can be to get over the fear of reaching out and connecting with people just to have this happen. Just remember this:

You are the product of multiple billion years of evolutionary success. You are a human, you answer to nobody but nature. No other human can judge your true worth, you are the main character in your own story flying through the universe! Human constructs may judge you, characterize and stereotype you, but they only have as much value as you give them!

I happen to think you're awesome and I'm sure that someway, somehow, you will get in and be a doc one day!

Reactions: 7 users
Thank you everyone for the advice and support, I appreciate it a lot, I emailed him an apology and he thanked me for it and said he looks forward to seeing my improvement. So I guess I'm okay, this is progress, as long as we are moving forward..

First off, I would immediately stop shadowing this doctor (if you have other options). He isn't a good role model for you anyway. Second, your self-worth is not predicated upon the opinions of others - it depends on how you perceive yourself. Reading self-help books is great - I personally recommend The Road Less Traveled and The Power of Now. Third, the greatest attribute of human beings is that we have the capacity and drive to improve ourselves. I was not unlike you a few years ago - in fact one girl I was with called me meek and left. Use this as a source of motivation. I found that going to the gym was a catalyst for improving my self-confidence, as having a positive image of your body helps you be more confident when interacting with others. Go out and do things out of your comfort zone, that's the only way to improve. And most importantly, have fun! You're clearly smart with that MCAT score, and young, and capable. We are so lucky to even have the opportunity to apply for medical school. You are awesome, amigo.

Saitama and the banana boy have spoken, @thestrugglingturtle. Your worth and potential is self-determined. The people who judge and belittle you for trivial, unchanging aspects of your unique identity are not worth dwelling on. Make sure you're really internalizing what those self-help books are teaching you.

It's so amazing seeing such great support in this thread for @thestrugglingturtle

I echo the sentiments of everyone prior and add that this doctor sounds like he is trying to preserve the antiquated notion of what a doctor's background must be and how they must be perceived. You don't have to be a 4.0 gregarious conversationalist - you only have to be a compassionate, intelligent, resourceful and passionate person.

When I was working in restaurants, a member of the local university's adcom demoralized me for not having any medical mission trips on my resume while I served him dinner. His opinion has and will never change how I view my candidacy for medicine.

Do you, leave behind any negativity and rise above it. Good luck with the applications!

Reactions: 2 users
It's so amazing seeing such great support in this thread for @thestrugglingturtle

I echo the sentiments of everyone prior and add that this doctor sounds like he is trying to preserve the antiquated notion of what a doctor's background must be and how they must be perceived. You don't have to be a 4.0 gregarious conversationalist - you only have to be a compassionate, intelligent, resourceful and passionate person.

When I was working in restaurants, a member of the local university's adcom demoralized me for not having any medical mission trips on my resume while I served him dinner. His opinion has and will never change how I view my candidacy for medicine.

Do you, leave behind any negativity and rise above it. Good luck with the applications!

That guy sounds like a total fudgenozzle. Who in their right mind would criticize a waiter's life in a restaurant, as if it were the appropriate setting to give such feedback.

I think many of us have had our fair share of condescending people who belittled and degraded us. Some mentors I've had could be very rude, but it was more or less tough love. @thestrugglingturtle, it certainly doesn't seem to be the case with that doctor. It's important to listen and learn from those older and wiser than you, but it's equally important to believe in your self-worth and self-motivation. In the end, you will be the one responsible for finding your own success, and you shouldn't feel like anybody has the power to stop you.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel you man.

Last edited:
And on this day, SDN shined a little brighter than usual.

Reactions: 18 users
Sing along time? Sing along time.

I wish you would step down from that ledge my friend....

@Goro, sorry for the neuroses, but if i have more rejections than others seem to have (6 or 7 don't feel the need to recount lol) but i also have an II can I rest easy that I don't have a glaring red flag?

I'm a non-trad with a low gpa, but good applicaiton otherwise (including 90+% mcat score), so I came into the cycle recognizing I might be a polarizing candidate.

Perhaps I didn't do a great job picking schools whose mission I may match, as well?

@Goro, sorry for the neuroses, but if i have more rejections than others seem to have (6 or 7 don't feel the need to recount lol) but i also have an II can I rest easy that I don't have a glaring red flag?

I'm a non-trad with a low gpa, but good applicaiton otherwise (including 90+% mcat score), so I came into the cycle recognizing I might be a polarizing candidate.

Perhaps I didn't do a great job picking schools whose mission I may match, as well?
I have similar rejection #s and only one more II than you.
I think you're doing ok! Plus its early and you already have an II so time is on your side!

Status
Not open for further replies.