Official 2016 COMLEX Level 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throwaway01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here it is. Comlex level 1.

Anyone take the exam in February?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, so early! Are there DO schools that finish didactics that early?

I'll be taking it in late june. Also taking USMLE so right now, just been studying for that. I plan on taking a practice COMLEX soon because I took a practice NBME earlier this week.

Taking the second COMSAE tomorrow given by our school! Got a 549 on the first one 2 months ago. Let's see how this one goes! Also taking both USMLE and COMLEX mid-June.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Taking the second COMSAE tomorrow given by our school! Got a 549 on the first one 2 months ago. Let's see how this one goes! Also taking both USMLE and COMLEX mid-June.

Scoring 549 6 months out is really good. Update us on how you do, and keep up the good work!

Not that much of an improvement. Ended up with a 593. Had a lot of reproductive, which we haven't covered in school yet. I felt like this one (form E) was a much better/harder than the one I took previously (form C).

Not that much of an improvement. Ended up with a 593. Had a lot of reproductive, which we haven't covered in school yet. I felt like this one (form E) was a much better/harder than the one I took previously (form C).

Still a great score so far out. Have you taken an NBME yet?

How have you been preparing? I'm scheduled to take COMSE D next week so we'll see how that goes.

Still a great score so far out. Have you taken an NBME yet?

How have you been preparing? I'm scheduled to take COMSE D next week so we'll see how that goes.

Thank you! No, haven't done any NBME yet. Thinking about taking one this week hopefully.

Basically, I have been doing UWorld and COMBANK questions along with First Aid and Pathoma. Also, trying to do some DIT here and there. We will see how that goes. How are you preparing? And good luck to you!

Took COMSE D yesterday and got a 392.

It ended up being the same situation as my NBME, being close to passing but not quite there yet!

Got my grade back today.
I had to miss 1st semester of second year (fall 2014), so I just redid my 1st semester of second year last fall (fall 2015). So I had dedicated study from May-Aug 2015 then Dec-mid Feb 2016. Started off with DIT videos back in May-Aug and wrote notes in FA. Then focused on FA x3, Uworld (90%), Combank (80%), Saverese, and brosencphalon's ANKI deck for micro. Went into the test very confident. Usmle felt ok, COMLEX first question was 4 paragraphs followed by a video. Didn't even have time to go to the bathroom. (and I finished all comlex practice exams with 20-30 minutes to spare usually).

(a long time ago) Comsae D: 380
(2 months out) UWSA1: 210
(3 weeks out) Combank Self assessment 1: 492
(2 week out) Comsae B: 489
(8 days out) UWSA2: 219
(4 days out) Comsae C: 501

USMLE: 218
COMLEX: 394

Maybe it was omm? Nope, apparently OMM was my best section.

Last edited:
Got my grade back today.
I had to miss 1st semester of second year (fall 2014), so I just redid my 1st semester of second year last fall (fall 2015). So I had dedicated study from May-Aug 2015 then Dec-mid Feb 2016. Started off with DIT videos back in May-Aug and wrote notes in FA. Then focused on FA x3, Uworld (90%), Combank (80%), Saverese, and brosencphalon's ANKI deck for micro. Went into the test very confident. Usmle felt ok, COMLEX first question was 4 paragraphs followed by a video. Didn't even have time to go to the bathroom. (and I finished all comlex practice exams with 20-30 minutes to spare usually).

Correct me if Im wrong but passing for COMLEX is 400?

COMLEX is sooooo all over the place! From my online readings its seems like COMASE dont correlate and the exam is extremely poorly made! Dropping that many points from the COMAE is ridiculous.

What's your plan now? unfortunately, you have to retake even though you did fine on USMLE.

Correct me if Im wrong but passing for COMLEX is 400?

COMLEX is sooooo all over the place! From my online readings its seems like COMASE dont correlate and the exam is extremely poorly made! Dropping that many points from the COMAE is ridiculous.

What's your plan now? unfortunately, you have to retake even though you did fine on USMLE.

Right now I'm going to drink, which I guess is what I was going to do anyway.
According to the breakdown, I did poorly in Pathology (which was my strongest subject before but ok) so I'll crack open Pathoma.
I did the worst on Health Promotion/Disease Prevention and Diagnostic Technologies so I'm going to purchase FA step 2.

Right now I'm going to drink, which I guess is what I was going to do anyway.
According to the breakdown, I did poorly in Pathology (which was my strongest subject before but ok) so I'll crack open Pathoma.
I did the worst on Health Promotion/Disease Prevention and Diagnostic Technologies so I'm going to purchase FA step 2.

I'd buy you a drink if I could, brother/sister! Take the week to drink and come to terms; then make a new plan next week. Also, I'd advise you to stay away from SDN for a while to take your mind off it.

Got my grade back today.

I'm really sorry to hear that. Silver lining: congrats on the USMLE score!

I know the old mantra with COMLEX used to be "bugs, drugs, and OMM." Do you feel that this is not the case, especially since the changes last year?

What would you do differently to prepare?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really sorry to hear that. Silver lining: congrats on the USMLE score!

I know the old mantra with COMLEX used to be "bugs, drugs, and OMM." Do you feel that this is not the case, especially since the changes last year?

What would you do differently to prepare?

Bugs (strep pneumo x5 questions) , drugs, OMM, neuro, peds, many really deep intricate hematology questions that weren't in FA, business and HMO/PPO related stuff.

What would I do differently? Nothing, just pray for an exam that actually reflects what I studied.

Bugs (strep pneumo x5 questions) , drugs, OMM, neuro, peds, many really deep intricate hematology questions that weren't in FA, business and HMO/PPO related stuff.

What would I do differently? Nothing, just pray for an exam that actually reflects what I studied.
Im so sorry man. Thats is NOT ****ing cool. Especially since you pretty much hit the average for the STEP 1 and did well on the omm section. Basically proving you understand the clinical science AND the omm. This is completely unfair. Why do these comlex horror stories continue year after year... Are they not listening or is the NBOME literally full of a bunch of blind, deaf monkeys.

Ugh.. I know youre probably going to be bombarded with questions since youre one of the few people who've experienced the "new exam" this year (which actually seems like its still the same old crap from what youve described). But honestly man, us being in the same shoes as you what should we do differently? Im doing the classic UFAP + combank/comquest and savarese. Is there no way you can think of preparing differently to prepare for these questions? I know you said you would purchase Step 2 material but Im assuming those were a minority of your questions, no? Is it worth the time and effort? And lastly ofcourse... is savarese and the omm question banks enough to kill the omm section?

Again, best of luck on your second go man. But lets not forget about your Step 1 score. Still competitive enough to get into most middle ranged ACGME programs. Just take care of business with this garbage of a test.

Cheers!

I just took the exam again and I feel much better leaving (not because the exam was easier). I took a COMSAE a week before and got a 540. I basically tossed my first aid and went into my class notes. I specifically remember hundreds of questions going through FA right now (which is filled with Uworld notes), and I can honestly say again that it feels like they look through this material and decide to specifically ask about details just barely missing in FA and my Uworld notes. For example we have 5 major apoliproteins listed in FA. A-1 B-48, B-100, C-2, and E. Guess which one I had to know to get the correct answer. A-2.

Question banks and COMSAEs help with reading comprehension but again, NOTHING like the actual exam. You probably never heard anyone say this before, but UWorld kind of screwed me over. It got me too used to thinking multiple steps. The thing about COMLEX is that many times it is asking you something very first or second order, but the question is so long and SO poorly written, that you are forced to read the question again and again looking for what you thought you read but isn't really there (and don't worry, the highlighter function still sucks and consumes time). You're so use to Uworld and you tell yourself the answer seriously CAN'T be rib raising 3 questions in a row. It is. Since there is nothing like COMLEX questions, for this year at least, I suggest combank over Uworld because of the way Uworld trained me to think, and 50% of the material Uworld covers was not even in COMLEX and I took it twice this year!

My class notes, especially classes on healthcare systems, microbio, embryology, headaches, and biostats, got me through 60% of the exam. It was like an exam on year 1 of medical school (minus biochem). OMM I probably only got 1/10 questions this time, rather than every 5th or 6th last time. I don't think I got any chapman points, a lot of thoracic outlet and psoas spasm questions, repeatedly. Along with the usual somatovisceral points and did I mention EVERYTHING related to RIBS. Luckily, I think I did really well. I really think the best bet is to take it early, when the stuff you learn in class is fresh, before you get bogged down in "testable material".
Congrats on being done with the exam. Any outside resources besides FA and Uworld that helped out the most for your exam? Thanks

I just took the exam again and I feel much better leaving (not because the exam was easier). I took a COMSAE a week before and got a 540. I basically tossed my first aid and went into my class notes. I specifically remember hundreds of questions going through FA right now (which is filled with Uworld notes), and I can honestly say again that it feels like they look through this material and decide to specifically ask about details just barely missing in FA and my Uworld notes. For example we have 5 major apoliproteins listed in FA. A-1 B-48, B-100, C-2, and E. Guess which one I had to know to get the correct answer. A-2.

Question banks and COMSAEs help with reading comprehension but again, NOTHING like the actual exam. You probably never heard anyone say this before, but UWorld kind of screwed me over. It got me too used to thinking multiple steps. The thing about COMLEX is that many times it is asking you something very first or second order, but the question is so long and SO poorly written, that you are forced to read the question again and again looking for what you thought you read but isn't really there (and don't worry, the highlighter function still sucks and consumes time). You're so use to Uworld and you tell yourself the answer seriously CAN'T be rib raising 3 questions in a row. It is. Since there is nothing like COMLEX questions, for this year at least, I suggest combank over Uworld because of the way Uworld trained me to think, and 50% of the material Uworld covers was not even in COMLEX and I took it twice this year!

My class notes, especially classes on healthcare systems, microbio, embryology, headaches, and biostats, got me through 60% of the exam. It was like an exam on year 1 of medical school (minus biochem). OMM I probably only got 1/10 questions this time, rather than every 5th or 6th last time. I don't think I got any chapman points, a lot of thoracic outlet and psoas spasm questions, repeatedly. Along with the usual somatovisceral points and did I mention EVERYTHING related to RIBS. Luckily, I think I did really well. I really think the best bet is to take it early, when the stuff you learn in class is fresh, before you get bogged down in "testable material".

Awesome bud! Here's to breaking 600! Cant even imagine the mental preparation it takes to sit a second time but Im sure you rocked it. Please let us know how you end up doing! I actually did start using more comlex resources such as Combank since I asked my question. I veered a little bit away from UWORLD because I did feel like it was preparing me well... but for the wrong exam. Second time around, you feel you could reccomend any other sources other than combank and savarese? You mentioned your class notes.. anything similar to that information?

Thanks again man! And Best of luck!

Took my COMLEX 1 yesterday and lets just say those COMSAESs are a joke as compared to the real test. I scored 525 on COMSAE C but when I sat down to take my test yesterday, I felt no resource could have prepared me for yesterday's test. Too many neuro, OMM questions, questions that make you wonder how the heck did they come up with that vignette. I did COMQUEST but that was not as useful as I had expected it to be. The OMM questions were long and intertwined. You had to really speed up and read between the lines. There were no questions on biostats, renal, few endo, heme, MS. I am a little worried to be honest because I was scoring above average in COMQUEST . I felt so short of time that I had to finish the first 4 blocks without any break. My take on it is , get a good night sleep and really think through the options. That's the onlt thing you can do. Doing Savarese practice questions gives you a false sense of security because the OMM questions on the real test are way more lengthy and intertwined.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel comquest is better than combank. I had well passed for my re take comlex 1.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I feel comquest is better than combank. I had well passed for my re take comlex 1.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I'm not saying COMQUEST isn't good. All I'm saying is the questions in the real test were way more difficult than what COMQUEST had prepared me for. May be their new Q Bank will evolve in due course of time to suite the requirements for boards

Last edited:
I took COMSAE E through my school a month and a half ago after having just started boards study. I was still in classes so I hadn't really dedicated much time to boards yet, but I scored a 518. Since then I have been studying hard every day and my test date is May 26th. I feel good about how my preparation thus far and am hoping for a decent COMLEX score (I'm also taking the USMLE). However, I never really looked into the significance of the my COMSAE score. How much stock should I put into it? Is COMSAE E fairly accurate at predicting actual scores?

I'm using UWorld, but also studying OMM questions with the green book is that enough? I have the exam coming up in June..

Has anyone taken one of the Combank self-assessments? My school required us to take one, and I'm wondering what the actual value of it was. I'm still 4ish weeks out from dedicated (we go really late -_-) but have been focusing more on board-studying than class-studying. Anyone else have any experience with these?

Has anyone taken one of the Combank self-assessments? My school required us to take one, and I'm wondering what the actual value of it was. I'm still 4ish weeks out from dedicated (we go really late -_-) but have been focusing more on board-studying than class-studying. Anyone else have any experience with these?

We were required to take both at my school. Not really sure of the prediction value.

We were also required to take it from our school back in December right before the Christmas break. It was a good experience of doing a 200 question assessment for the first time and seeing how tired you get at the end. Otherwise, I don't think it has any predictability. We hadn't covered GI, endocrine, or repro before this assessment.

@dfib slim @ninjaman22

Yeah, we also had to take the Kaplan diagnostic exam during our Christmas break (which was through their Step Qbank and only 150 questions). I can't find any information on the predictability of either. I'm assuming it's good that I improved significantly percentage-wise between the two, but it's sort of comparing apples to oranges since they are different Qbanks. And I still don't know how similar to the actual COMLEX either are... but I suppose none of us will until we actually tackle that beast!

Along the same line, have either of you (or anyone) heard of the predictability associated with Combank as a whole?

@dfib slim @ninjaman22

Yeah, we also had to take the Kaplan diagnostic exam during our Christmas break (which was through their Step Qbank and only 150 questions). I can't find any information on the predictability of either. I'm assuming it's good that I improved significantly percentage-wise between the two, but it's sort of comparing apples to oranges since they are different Qbanks. And I still don't know how similar to the actual COMLEX either are... but I suppose none of us will until we actually tackle that beast!

Along the same line, have either of you (or anyone) heard of the predictability associated with Combank as a whole?
I've already taken comlex last year and realized there was no accurate prediction for it. If you want predictability for USMLE take an NBME.

@dfib slim @ninjaman22

I am taking my COMLEX in June so I will know then!

I'm using UWorld, but also studying OMM questions with the green book is that enough? I have the exam coming up in June..
OMM questions from Savarese is the best you can do but be prepared for longer vignettes in the exam. I had a lot of questiions on Cranial, Sacral torsions , and Cord levels

Any thoughts on Comquest? Is it worth paying $109 for a month of questions? (I'm 98% done with Combank and take COMLEX mid-June)

I haven't personally used it but have heard decent things from upperclassmen about it. If you haven't yet, I would get uworld even if you're not planning on taking USMLE. Its the best qbank out there. If you are already using uworld, get Kaplan or Rx and just redo combank. I dont think its worth spending money on another COMLEX qbank.

I haven't personally used it but have heard decent things from upperclassmen about it. If you haven't yet, I would get uworld even if you're not planning on taking USMLE. Its the best qbank out there. If you are already using uworld, get Kaplan or Rx and just redo combank. I dont think its worth spending money on another COMLEX qbank.

Thanks! I'm actually on my second pass of uworld now. Was debating the pros and cons of getting a second COMLEX bank. I'm 98% done with Combank, but our school had us do two diagnostic tests from it as well so there are quite a few questions I've already seen twice.

Any thoughts on Comquest? Is it worth paying $109 for a month of questions? (I'm 98% done with Combank and take COMLEX mid-June)
The new COMQUEST is pretty good. the explanations are good. However, I would just focus on UWorld. You will see a lot of Phys/Path questions similar to the UWorld style, in the exam especially when it comes to Neuro, OB.

Got my score back from my April exam. 604. A 210 point increase from my failed exam a month before. 210 point increase in one month of honestly not doing anything much different. What a joke of an exam.

Great job, man! Im really happy for you! And yes, if the exam is anything like COMBANK, than its a complete joke.

Have you been on rotations this whole time? How are those going?

All the best with the rest of 3rd yr!

I've already taken comlex last year and realized there was no accurate prediction for it. If you want predictability for USMLE take an NBME.

This is so frustrating. I spoke to my advisor at school since I took a COMSAE a week into studying and got a 388, and she told me anecdotes about people who did ~350 on COMSAE and passed and of 2 different students who had 450 and 510 on COMSAEs and failed. Historically high fail rate at my school last year :(. How do we know we are ready to take this? I'm doing COMQUEST now (just started) and their "passline" is 67%. I emailed them to ask them how they got to that conclusion. I don't really want to take another COMSAE unless I know it's predictive of me passing, I don't even care really about the score as I plan to keep studying after and take the Step (hopefully).

How do we know we are ready to take this?
Not sure there is an answer to this. My school looks at class rank along with a COMSAE D score to determine if the student needs to push the test date back. As long as you aren't in the bottom 10% and are studying hard with the right materials you shouldn't have to worry too much about passing. Unfortunately COMLEX can be a total crap shoot though.

This is so frustrating. I spoke to my advisor at school since I took a COMSAE a week into studying and got a 388, and she told me anecdotes about people who did ~350 on COMSAE and passed and of 2 different students who had 450 and 510 on COMSAEs and failed. Historically high fail rate at my school last year :(. How do we know we are ready to take this? I'm doing COMQUEST now (just started) and their "passline" is 67%. I emailed them to ask them how they got to that conclusion. I don't really want to take another COMSAE unless I know it's predictive of me passing, I don't even care really about the score as I plan to keep studying after and take the Step (hopefully).
I got a 64% overall on COMQUEST and i passed this stupid test. That 67% is arbitrary. As long as you feel solid about OMM, OB/GYN and Neuro, I would say take the exam. COMSAEs are silly predictors as far as the new format is concerned. I scored 525 on COMSAE C but in the real exam, the scores went down drastically.

Decided against the USMLE. Going to focus entirely on the COMLEX to ensure I do as well as I can on it. FA/DIT, Pathoma and comquest and combank q-banks the suggested study strategy? My exam is on June 13.

I got a 64% overall on COMQUEST and i passed this stupid test. That 67% is arbitrary. As long as you feel solid about OMM, OB/GYN and Neuro, I would say take the exam. COMSAEs are silly predictors as far as the new format is concerned. I scored 525 on COMSAE C but in the real exam, the scores went down drastically.

Thank you for your reply! That is helpful to know. The COMQUEST rep said the passline is based on data collected from student surveys after taking the COMLEX with 90% certainty.

Congrats to you on passing and being done with it! Did you use uworld as well?

Since I've been getting lots of messages. Here were my averages 3 weeks leading up to my exam which I scored 600+.
Uworld: 57%
Combank: 60%
Comquest: 69% (second pass)

Now before you jump in and say that well that's really below average. I was really burning myself out doing questions. I would do 100 questions a day. Read the explanations, etc. Point proving that people's question bank avg's are completely dependent on how they actually take the questions. They don't reflect your actual grade. If you want to gauge how well you're going to do on the exam, this is what I did the day before. I woke up early. Opened up comquest (or do combank same filth). Did 100 questions timed random. Scored 72%. I knew I was at least going to pass. Don't waste your money giving nbome 60$ for a **** exam (comsae). Please please dont. You're only enabling them. Your APGAR score is probably a better predictor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Since I've been getting lots of messages. Here were my averages 3 weeks leading up to my exam which I scored 600+.
Uworld: 57%
Combank: 60%
Comquest: 69% (second pass)

Now before you jump in and say that well that's really below average. I was really burning myself out doing questions. I would do 100 questions a day. Read the explanations, etc. Point proving that people's question bank avg's are completely dependent on how they actually take the questions. They don't reflect your actual grade. If you want to gauge how well you're going to do on the exam, this is what I did the day before. I woke up early. Opened up comquest (or do combank same filth). Did 100 questions timed random. Scored 72%. I knew I was at least going to pass. Don't waste your money giving nbome 60$ for a **** exam (comsae). Please please dont. You're only enabling them. Your APGAR score is probably a better predictor.

Thanks so much for this input. It's virtually impossible to predict our performance based on COMSAE's/qbanks, but helpful when compared to the outcome of someone's comlex. Thanks again for sharing-just wish we had a better way to score predict!!!

So I'm starting to get concerned about Qbanks-mainly COMBANK using names for disease I have never seen before- ex: MEN 1= Wermer;s MEN 2= Sipple Syndrome etc. Do you feel as this actually occurred on the Comlex or this just Qbanks trying to make their easy questions arbitrarily more difficult?

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you for your reply! That is helpful to know. The COMQUEST rep said the passline is based on data collected from student surveys after taking the COMLEX with 90% certainty.

Congrats to you on passing and being done with it! Did you use uworld as well?
Not as much as I wanted to. I did few questions on OB/GYN . I wished I had done the whole thing really well

Not sure there is an answer to this. My school looks at class rank along with a COMSAE D score to determine if the student needs to push the test date back. As long as you aren't in the bottom 10% and are studying hard with the right materials you shouldn't have to worry too much about passing. Unfortunately COMLEX can be a total crap shoot though.

What's their cutoff for deciding if they're worried about you?

My school did something similar but was vague about the numbers. I know I got high enough that they're not worried about me, but I don't know what "good" or "safe" is.