***Official AAMC Practice Exams Discussion Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the free practice test and I had a few questions. How does it compare to the other tests available? I didnt think it was too bad particularly with verbal and p.s. I ended up with a 10 on verbal and 11 on p.s. Most of my verbal mistakes were downright stupid and I took the p.s without any studying really just to get a feel for it. Somebody told me though that this was the easiest test and I should have gotten at the very least above a 12 on both of those sections to even consider getting above a 10 on the real thing. I am taking the actual mcat may 27th. I changed it from mid april so that I can study more. My biggest strength is P.S. I just finished engineering so im very confortable with those types of questions. My biggest weakness is the biological sciences. I have only taken biology 1 and 2 and by the time the mcat rolls around I would have finished o chem 1 and barely started o chem 2. My strategy for the biology is mainly to use EK with some other sources on any subjects that give me a harder time. Is this a wise idea? I took the biology courses AGES ago and to be honest I dont remember any of the stuff with respect to physiology and body parts. What do you guys recommend with respect to how I should approach studying for this test.

Members don't see this ad.

I just took cbt 4 for my first timed full length that wasn't a diagnostic and I'm in shock. I got 11 V, 14 PS and 14 BS for a 39. I was amazed because I didn't feel like I was doing nearly that well but I only missed 2 questions in PS and 3 in BS. I guess all this studying is paying off.

Also I had so many distractions... the gardener shows up mid verbal and starts using a weed whacker right outside my window. Then during BS, 2 Jehovas witnesses show up at my door and my dog starts barking like nuts.

I've got less than 3 weeks till the test and I definitely needed this huge morality boost.

How many practice tests are there total? Just the 8 listed or are there more out there?

I took AAMC 3 after freshman year with maybe a 20 hours of prep and scored a 31, 12 VR,11 BS, 8 PS. Without O'chem or physics (with no background in either).

Now I take AAMC 4 yesterday and do not do that well (27, 10VR, 9 BS, 8 PS). I did zero prep and just took it cold, naively thinking I would have to score higher with all my new content knowledge. Didn't happen , did it? Wake-up call.

I'm not freaking but I am a little concerned. I usually do real well on standardized tests (like 99+) . I compared the areas on the summary and the types of questions and while some stayed the same a lot changed. Why were there so few test questions on 4 compared the AAMC 3?

For some reason my computer had the timer partially blocked so I finshed very section 20 or more minutes early. Literally. I spent sometimes 20 seconds less a question than I had a year earlier. I have zero idea why I did that. Not good. Oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'm not positive as to the purpose of that post, but from what I gather I suppose you're looking for a "wow, good for you. when you study you'll probably get a 46 since its clear your brain power is superhuman!" response?

The point was , and I thought it was clear, that I had just finished finals in Physics and O'chem and I sucked it up on the test. I expected (again, naively) that my much greater content knowledge would translate to a higher score. What part of that was hard to understand?

If that's bragging on your planet, well......

Medicalminute, I totally understand what you're saying. You'd think after having taken the classes you would do better, but there are so many things that go into the practice tests....mindset, the test having material that focuses on your strengths, etc. I guarantee that once you have gone back over all the MCAT material you will be scoring much higher than 31. Sounds like you're a good standardized test taker.

The part you referred to about doing worse on the second test than the first and the point you made associated with it was easy enough to understand, but explaining to the world how you are scoring better than 85% of all test takers with no previous prep as a freshman and how you normally place in 99+ percentile rankings in your standardized tests, then complaining you perfomred as well as the average medical school applicant after finishing the test one hour early, with zero prep, is all entirely irrelevant to your point about performing 4 pts worse the second time around than the first and was obviously added to your post to a) pad your ego, b) impress others, or c) both.

No, I didn't need to respond to it. I could have and should have just let it sit. But, every once in a while when the trillionth person makes their way to SDN to make a scene about how intelligent they are, it simply becomes bothersome (and scary considering these are the people I'll be sitting in school with for 4 years) and people say things they should not have. My apologies for not being a bigger person.

I took AAMC 3 after freshman year with maybe a 20 hours of prep and scored a 31, 12 VR,11 BS, 8 PS. Without O'chem or physics (with no background in either).

Now I take AAMC 4 yesterday and do not do that well (27, 10VR, 9 BS, 8 PS). I did zero prep and just took it cold, naively thinking I would have to score higher with all my new content knowledge. Didn't happen , did it? Wake-up call.

I'm not freaking but I am a little concerned. I usually do real well on standardized tests (like 99+) . I compared the areas on the summary and the types of questions and while some stayed the same a lot changed. Why were there so few test questions on 4 compared the AAMC 3?

For some reason my computer had the timer partially blocked so I finshed very section 20 or more minutes early. Literally. I spent sometimes 20 seconds less a question than I had a year earlier. I have zero idea why I did that. Not good. Oh well.

Do I sense a tiny bit of jealousy? LOL

You can't scare me off a board with your playground bully antics, friend. Don't try.

See it however you wish to see it. I know my intent. A two-dimensional board such as this does not lend itself to perfect communication. I was being factual. Each thing I said was intended to be diagnostic, not bragging. That's di-ag-nos-tic. Break it into little pieces. You can do it. :rolleyes:

Sorry, folks. I didn't intend a sideshow . This freak just has his panties in a wad.

If I did unintentionally offend anyone else, I do apologize.

Members don't see this ad :)
littlerocker, how did I catch a raft of crap after YOUR intro post? Doesn't seem that fair.:confused:

The difference is I've been posting on here for a year and have been reporting my progress all along. I was thrilled with my progress and there's nothing wrong with sharing that. I'm not some precocious freshman just trying to stir up trouble. :smuggrin:

edit: anyways I wasn't choosing sides or attacking you so i don't know why you chose to bring me into this

I have no trouble with you, OP. No problem with anybody. It's all done.

OP, I wasn't calling you out. It did just seem strange that my post engendered the response it did when your OP did not. That's all. Back to a regularly scheduled show..

BTW, I am a whining sophomore, not a whining freshman. :cool:I take the MCAT in two months.

BTW, I'm not the OP, this thread has like 300 posts. Mine just happens to be at the top of this page haha.

So I just want to get a feel for how indicative of our actual scores these tests will be. So far, I've taken 3-8, and will take 9 and 10 today and tomorrow. My scores have been very consistent (only 3 points difference from worst to best), and all but my worst score have met or exceeded my target score, so I'm pleased with my results.

However, I have no idea how predictive these scores actually are, and I'd love it if some people could share their experiences on the differences between these tests and the real deal.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the reason there's so little fluctuation, I think, is because I didn't start taking full-length tests until towards the end of my studying, so I'm not trying to demoralize anybody who's worried about only improving 3 points or anything. I'm sure if I'd taken a test early on, I would have done much worse.

How would you rank the Kaplan practice exams in terms of their order of increasing difficulty? I've been trying to look for some opinions on this, but can't seem to find any information on it.

I just took aamc 7 and it was my worst one yet. mainly due to the verbal which for some reason just destroyed me. i got an 8 on it when I have been averaging 10-11 on everyother test. I hate reading the passages on the computer screen. It just seems like i cant concentrate on the verbal CBT's and i end up guessing on questions. I rarely guess on questions when i take the paper based practice tests. I have the examcrakers verbal passages book and I do great with those and they are supposed to be harder than the real thing...

I just got an 8 on Verbal for AAMC 7 also. The thing is, I got 22/24 for the first 4 passages, and then I got destroyed at the end: 5/16 for the last 3 passages. I want to beat myself up so bad... I was doing so well, but I just lost it at the end.

The thing is, I've been hitting around 8-9 on all the VR's for the AAMC's and Kaplan's so far. But I feel like I could do so much better. I understand the material pretty well... ususally it's a time issue or I just panic. If I could maintain the focus that I had for the first half of the test like I did today, I feel like it could do okay. Agh.

I am taking the test on 5/23. I really have to shape up my verbal strategy/endurance before the real thing...

I started reviewing last Saturday and just took practice test 3. I scored poorly, 28 (10 PS, 9 BS, 9 VR)...Any advice?

It seems as if I did very poorly with anatomy, which I expected. We didn't cover nearly what was on this test (renal function, nervous system, development, etc) in our general bio class.

Verbal is weak for me too..PS, I know the material, it's just a matter of reviewing it.

Should I wait until tomorrow to review the test or do it now?

I'd like to bring it up to the mid 30's, but don't know if I'm lacking the ability, knowledge, or just need to practice with the test format.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

I just got an 11 on the PS on AAMC #6. Should I be excited or is this test known to be easy?

I just got an 11 on the PS on AAMC #6. Should I be excited or is this test known to be easy?
Be excited, regardless of whether or not its an "easy" test. Some people say some tests are easy, others say the opposite. Don't worry about that stuff too much, just be concerned with doing the best you can, and learning from each and every one of your mistakes.

:p I was 2 questions away from a 13.. I got 100% of the Gen-Chem right except for the 2 questions on electrochemistry. Electrochemistry took off 2 pts!!

Hahah, yeah, I've been there and done that! Electrochemistry was a definitely a weak point for me, however, I'm feeling much more comfortable with it after some practice! I'd suggest doing the same. :)

And, the fact that you were 2 questions away from a 13 speaks EVEN MORE to the fact that you should be excited.

What do these do? I thought the questions were all the same and (e.g. AAMC7 is always AAMC7.)

Will I actually get new passages or questions if I change from ALL to DIFFICULT?

hmmm....interesting question...now you've got me wondering. You would think that there would be different questions or else the test would be shorter..but then again...where would the questions come from? Have you tried it yet? I may later on tonight, I'll let you know what happens!

Hey, I'm new on this forum, but it seems very helpful...

I had a question...I took all of the AAMCs already and the most recent one was the one I took yesterday, which was AAMC 5. I got 12s across the board, but I took AAMC 4 the day before and got a 12-8-10. This was the first time I've made higher than an 8 in verbal, but I don't know what to do now. Should I go back over my old tests, especially 7,8,9, and 10? Or should I do the TPR verbal and the TPR practice tests? I really want to get my verbal score up, and I'm trying to stay consistent with BS and PS, but it fluctuates between 10s and 12s. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Best thing you can do is practice. Btw, doing two practice exams one day after the other is pretty nuts, you might wanna consider giving yourself some time in between them. Get the EK 101 verbal passages if you can.

Take an exam and then maybe spend the next two days going over it.

Hi! I would still go back over the old tests and review the verbal, especially since this is the first time you've gotten a 12. Make sure you understand why each question was wrong and why each question was right, get into the authors head. Make sure you got a 12 because you knew what the passages were about...not because you were lucky at guessing. Good job though on the 12!

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I went ove rthe questions, the ones I got right and the ones I got wrong. I'm taking it this Friday, forgot to mention that. Any more advice on how I should prepare the rest of the days I have left?

I would take it easy and do some light review, go back over equations, and stuff you might have forgotten. But I would plan to stop studying wednesday and give yourself a break before the test...go and do something fun! You're brave for taking it on the 13th! haaha. Good luck!:D

I would take it easy and do some light review, go back over equations, and stuff you might have forgotten. But I would plan to stop studying wednesday and give yourself a break before the test...go and do something fun! You're brave for taking it on the 13th! haaha. Good luck!:D

Brave for taking it on the 13th? why? Should I be afraid?! I'm taking it that day too:eek::scared:

haaha. Well I was just kidding. You know with the whole Friday the 13th stuff...some people might be superstitious. I'll admit I'm a little superstitious when it comes to some things...like if I spill salt I like to throw some over my shoulder...like to "knock on wood"...just cover my bases...but personally Friday the 13th wouldn't be one of the things that bothers me...now if I passed a black cat on the way over there while walking under a ladder...:D

haaha. Well I was just kidding. You know with the whole Friday the 13th stuff...some people might be superstitious. I'll admit I'm a little superstitious when it comes to some things...like if I spill salt I like to throw some over my shoulder...like to "knock on wood"...just cover my bases...but personally Friday the 13th wouldn't be one of the things that bothers me...now if I passed a black cat on the way over there while walking under a ladder...:D

:eek:don't do that again man! lol plz u had me like scared seriously lol b/c I've seen the 6/13 thread and its full of people complaining their lowest practice score was like a 44 lol, so I thought it was like a day when the curve would be unforgiving lol

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I went ove rthe questions, the ones I got right and the ones I got wrong. I'm taking it this Friday, forgot to mention that. Any more advice on how I should prepare the rest of the days I have left?

I'm taking it Friday as well. I am just going to bust out practice tests and touch up on weak areas.

:eek:don't do that again man! lol plz u had me like scared seriously lol b/c I've seen the 6/13 thread and its full of people complaining their lowest practice score was like a 44 lol, so I thought it was like a day when the curve would be unforgiving lol
We were being sarcastic :p Nobody in there has posted scores THAT high. :laugh: We were kind of kidding around because there were so many people from 5/10 that were complaining about scores in the 35 range, which is ridiculous.

We were being sarcastic :p Nobody in there has posted scores THAT high. :laugh: We were kind of kidding around because there were so many people from 5/10 that were complaining about scores in the 35 range, which is ridiculous.

lol no man, I know the 44s was just a joke/exaggeration, but seriously I see people complaining w/ like 35+ practice scores, and I barely see people reporting under 30 scores thats y lol:laugh::eek:

How can I see the score peramaters for the AAMC tests? I see my score, my percentile rank, etc. but I want to be able to see how many questions I was off from the next point in my BS section.

I'm doing the CBT. It takes me to the page with the breakdown but it doesn't say how close I was to the next highest point. For example, for PS, I got a 9 (39 our of 52 75%). How many more did I need right to get a 10? That's what I'd like to know.

On the E-MCAT homepage on the left there should be a button that says: "How are the MCAT's scored" or something like that..I'm too lazy to look, but the conversion charts are there.

This is a question for those who have taken a lot of these aamc tests,

As a tune up for real thing tomorrow, which one would you pick to take?

AAMC 9 or AAMC 10

I just took 8 today and 7 yesterday and did well so I'm pretty happy right now but I wanted to know which one of 9 or 10 you thought would be better for preparing for the one tomorrow. (which one do you think is closest in difficulty out of all 4 of these to the real deal?) It seems that 8 is one of the harder ones and 7 is one of the easier ones, and I was wondering how they stacked up to 9 and 10 as well.