***Official AAMC Practice Exams Discussion Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the free practice test and I had a few questions. How does it compare to the other tests available? I didnt think it was too bad particularly with verbal and p.s. I ended up with a 10 on verbal and 11 on p.s. Most of my verbal mistakes were downright stupid and I took the p.s without any studying really just to get a feel for it. Somebody told me though that this was the easiest test and I should have gotten at the very least above a 12 on both of those sections to even consider getting above a 10 on the real thing. I am taking the actual mcat may 27th. I changed it from mid april so that I can study more. My biggest strength is P.S. I just finished engineering so im very confortable with those types of questions. My biggest weakness is the biological sciences. I have only taken biology 1 and 2 and by the time the mcat rolls around I would have finished o chem 1 and barely started o chem 2. My strategy for the biology is mainly to use EK with some other sources on any subjects that give me a harder time. Is this a wise idea? I took the biology courses AGES ago and to be honest I dont remember any of the stuff with respect to physiology and body parts. What do you guys recommend with respect to how I should approach studying for this test.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a question for those who have taken a lot of these aamc tests,

As a tune up for real thing tomorrow, which one would you pick to take?

AAMC 9 or AAMC 10

I just took 8 today and 7 yesterday and did well so I'm pretty happy right now but I wanted to know which one of 9 or 10 you thought would be better for preparing for the one tomorrow. (which one do you think is closest in difficulty out of all 4 of these to the real deal?) It seems that 8 is one of the harder ones and 7 is one of the easier ones, and I was wondering how they stacked up to 9 and 10 as well.

I took AAMC 10 yesterday. It was a great confidence booster for me.

Should you analyze the results the day you take the practice exam or the day after?

I just took test 8 and I'm pretty happy with my scores...I got 10's across the board and there was a lot of physiology (which I haven't had nor have reviewed yet). I'm anxious to see where I missed points but don't want to review it if it's not really going to help.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I just took the June 13th 8am test and wanted to throw my two cents in so you all wouldn't be as surprised as I was. The AAMC tests are not very similar at all to the real deal I just took. The physics was far more inference based and a lot harder. The verbal was like an AAMC, but that's cause its verbal. Biological sciences, in terms of material tested, forget about it, nothing like AAMC. I think i had 1 discrete bio question that was on human body physiology, and that's it. Nothing else i can remember on respiratory, digestive, or cardiac stuff. What I do remember is there is a ton, a TON of molecular genetics. I guess this is the direction they are heading in now. I had gotten between a 34 and 36 on every AAMC practice test available, and I feel as though I will be lucky if i break a 30 on the real one. I'm pretty disappointed that the practice tests were so dissimilar. It seems to me that some of them might be out dated in terms of material they are focusing on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been reading some posts about the AAMC practice tests... and I'm concerned that my scores on them are giving me false hope. I mean, the 3 is ridic, 10 is a joke, etc etc. I'm doing well on them(almost TOO well) but is it unrealistic to expect the same average score on the real MCAT?? My scores on the EK 30 mins are such a HUGE contrast to my AAMC scores. And before you say EK is supposed to be "harder"... I don't know if that is necessarily true. I just think the AAMC practice tests are not indicative of the true difficulty of the MCAT. I'm esp suspicious because I'm not even that smart(I am probably of mere average intelligence) and I'm hitting 35, 37 on them. It's ridic! If the AAMC practice tests really were like the MCAT, then the average MCAT score would be much, much higher.

I saw a couple repeat questions on the AAMC practice tests, too... which makes me think, these people are just taking rando, crappy questions and slapping them together and calling them an "exam." Seriously. WTF. I don't think they would have recycled the questions if they were true "administered" exams.

Please chime in.

Last edited:
no sir, they are pretty accurate as far as predicting your actual score. At the end of my studying and practice I was consistently scoring 35+ on the aamc tests, and then on the real deal got a 37 :D

Just don't get super nervous on test day and you won't choke.

no sir, they are pretty accurate as far as predicting your actual score. At the end of my studying and practice I was consistently scoring 35+ on the aamc tests, and then on the real deal got a 37 :D

Just don't get super nervous on test day and you won't choke.

Yeah, but people who are smart will do well on the AAMC practice exams AND the real MCAT. I guess I need to hear from someone who is like me-- not smart, just average, who sucks at standardized testing in general.

Congrats on the 37 tho.

From my observations of scores reported on SDN. I would say the AAMC practice tests are pretty accurate in predicting your scores for the real deal. However predicting the score does not automatically mean that they are represntative of the test itself. IMHO, the material on practice test is MUCH easier than the real deal but the curve is harsher. In this way the practice tests are able to compensate for the difficulty of the real deal. Again, its just my opinion. :thumbup:

I scored really well on the AAMC tests (37, 38) and did well on the examkrackers tests, but I really felt like crap after the MCAT. I thought it was very different. I can't comment on how close the scores were for about a week, but I am not too hopeful. It is pretty ridic. :eyebrow:

I got AAMC 10 score - 1
and AAMC 9 score + 1 on the real deal

Only my verbal score varied. My science scores were dead on. You can't get more accurate than that. 90% sure you will get a score very similar to AAMC 9 and 10.

I had around a 33 AAMC average and ended up with a 24.

I am also one of those not great at standardized tests.

What I think hurt me the most was the fact I was so nervous I could not think and got worked over by the test. The difficulty got me all worked up and I choked.

Hence, I am back for more :)

Waiting for the score after taking the real thing was the most annoying part after the instant gratification the practice tests give you. My mind kept rationalizing to itself that I did crappy, but the AAMC practice scores ended up definitely dead on to the real thing.

I felt the AAMC exams gave a very good approximation of the real thing. My actual score was a bit higher. However, even if the AAMC tests were not the best predictors of your performance on test day, I think many would agree it is among the best, if not the best, preparation for the real thing. I would take it as a good sign that you are doing well on the recent AAMC exams.

edit: I imagine a fair amount of discrepancies between practice / real examinations can be attributed to things like nervousness, distractions, over-confidence, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had around a 33 AAMC average and ended up with a 24.

I am also one of those not great at standardized tests.

What I think hurt me the most was the fact I was so nervous I could not think and got worked over by the test. The difficulty got me all worked up and I choked.

Hence, I am back for more :)

yep, this is what I'm afraid of, the scenario that haunts me in my nightmares

But would you attribute the difference in your performance to just nerves? If that's the case, what are you doing this time around?

I'm seriously thinking of taking something to keep me relaxed. I still have some Xanax left over.

Well I guess theres all kinds of opinions here. I think AMCAS didnt help me at all. I heard froma lot of people to take them, and I did and got about 20's. Btw Im a 3.98 student and have taken the GMAT with a 98% ile on it before so I thought that was ridiculous. Anyways I was getting around 30 on EK, 30 on Kaplan and 30-33 on TBR. So we'll see what happens soon since I'm a 5/23'er :( As long as I hit the magic number 3-0 I will be so happy.

Just to add, I agree with the above poster that regardless of your score you should probably take them because the good thing about AAMC practice tests is that they tell you your weak areas after you're done with them. For example after taking 2 or 3 I saw my orgo was consistently weak, and immunology in bio. So I decided to focus a little more on those, and Im glad I did coz I had a lot of genetics/immuno on the real thing.

I have to echo what other people said. I was scoring in the 30's for AAMC tests, and slightly lower for kaplan. But after taking the test (5/27'er) I felt horrible, however as time goes on I am starting to think maybe... just maybe I did alright. All I know is there are a ton of people that think they did awful and end up being fine. I think the AAMC tests are helpful, just don't make them your only source of practice.

I scored really well on the AAMC tests (37, 38) and did well on the examkrackers tests, but I really felt like crap after the MCAT. I thought it was very different. I can't comment on how close the scores were for about a week, but I am not too hopeful. It is pretty ridic. :eyebrow:

everyone feels like crap after the MCAT. very few people have said "dude that was easy, i just blew that out of the water." until you get your scores back, you really cant compare your real mcat to your average AAMC. most people that say "ohh man that totally killed me tahtw as so much harder i totally failed" get their scores and say "ohh wow i guess teh curve works, i ended up scoring in my AAMC range." count how many people say this with in the next week with 5/23, 5/27, and 5/31 scores coming out. people say it all the time

I did #4 on Saturday. Which one should I do next? I kind of want to save 9/10 for closer to the test. On the other hand, I wonder if I should do they first or earlier to diagnose my weaknesses. Thoughts?

Also, it kind of sucks that now the earlier tests are supposedly wildly off from how the MCAT has been lately.

(I have access to tests 3 through 10 through the prep course I took.)

But would you attribute the difference in your performance to just nerves? If that's the case, what are you doing this time around?

I'm seriously thinking of taking something to keep me relaxed. I still have some Xanax left over.

I was nervous and I took what most would say was the hardest MCAT last year. Some forms are harder and have a nicer curve. But, I need a more reasonable MCAT because I am not one of those great standardized testers.

I know what to expect now, which has me more relaxed and I realized that for some reason when I take a regular exam in college I am cocky and never nervous. In fact, I like taking the exams because they make me think. I just need to bring that attitude with instead of the one where I am an average/bad standardized testtaker.

I know one thing though. If can make a 30+ on all my practice tests, I can at least get a 28 on a good day and give myself a shot at the MD. Eventually, I will have my day!!

No, they're not false hope, they're just false levels of difficulty from time to time. The scores reflect the real thing according to everything I've read on SDN (hoping I stay w/in my practice range *crosses fingers*). But, some people say their MCAT was easier, some say it was harder. Mine was WAY harder (6/13/08) in PS and noticeably harder in BS than any AAMC, no doubt about it.

i would just do them in order. It seems to me like the bio sections on 4 and 5 are alot easier. I would think that the later ones are harder though or at least the curve is a little tougher

Hello to all,

I am studying for the July 18th test. I just took the AAMC prac test # 3. My scores were 8-10-8...I have a lot of difficulty with PS...Bio I hope to do improve as I take more tests...

I have Kaplan, EK (1001 and 101, all of them) and Nova Physics...Can someone tell me how I should focus on studying?

Thank you! Your help and guidance is sincerely appreciated :)

so i'm getting ready to fork over the cast for these practice tests. can someone tell me if you get you get to see the actual questions you missed or do you just get a vague score report when you are done? i really like being able to see and figure out exactly why i missed something.

so i'm getting ready to fork over the cast for these practice tests. can someone tell me if you get you get to see the actual questions you missed or do you just get a vague score report when you are done? i really like being able to see and figure out exactly why i missed something.

you see a very detailed breakdown of what you got wrong, the answers, etc etc.

you can go back and do the exams over again, and a ton of other features

IDK about you but I have a prescrip for Ativan, which is in the same class of drugs and if i took that before a test i wouldnt be able to focus - which would be way worse than a little nerves

Hey guys

I have about a week till the real thing and I plan to do both 9 and 10, with one of them two days before the real thing. Which one should i do first and which one should i do last? I prefer to do the easier one last for the extra ego boost :)

thanks

I didn't like the verbal in 9 when i took it a few years back (longer paper version) felt like I did well and then did worse than any other AAMC even though it was my last.... so this time around I'm taking 10....

I actually took AAMC 10 today. I thought it was easier than 9 but that's only my opinion and it varies from individual to individual based on differential studying. Personally, I felt that AAMC 10 was easier than 9 which I took last friday. My score increased 2 points from AAMC 9 and I felt that the calculations were really easy.

I actually took AAMC 10 today. I thought it was easier than 9 but that's only my opinion and it varies from individual to individual based on differential studying. Personally, I felt that AAMC 10 was easier than 9 which I took last friday. My score increased 2 points from AAMC 9 and I felt that the calculations were really easy.

Heh, when I took 9 I got a 37. When I took 10 I got a 30.... (scary)
I dunno maybe I was more strung out but I thought 10's verbal was hella hard.

But regardless you are totally right sir, about the variations between individuals.

It really doesn't matter which one you do. They aren't drastically different in terms of difficultly. The more difficult test would probably, and predictably, be the one that hit more of your weaknesses.

I also write in a week, and I've saved 3 and 10 for last, I recall that 9 sucked for me, so ?:horns:

hello guys...I will be starting to taking some AAMC practice questions but I needed some advice...
right now I am trying to get a taste of a real exam question for VR and I needed help choosing a fair one to start off with...any suggestions? And also, which AAMC test should I do first (in its entirety) or does it not really matter??

I just happened to do 10 last. I don't know how much difficulty changes from test to test; it's fairly even in my opinion (although I thought 8 did suck). Put it in this perspective: there is a certain amount of luck involved with how well you do. Let's say of the 40 PS topics that are fair game, you're a master of 10, competant at 20, and weak in 10. If the MCAT tests the 10 you've mastered, you're golden. If it tests the 10 you suck at, then get ready for a retest. The benefit of the practice tests, along with a good indicator of what test day will be like, is that you can easily see where your weaknesses are, and remedy the situation. If I were you, I would finish all the tests a week prior, make sure you've gone over the problem areas, and if your stamina is good, keep it at that. Two days before the test is not a good time for practice exams, I think.

If you want VR practice, pick up the EK 101 book. Either version will do. Never take a VR section out of a full length because you would have wasted an entire full length. I'd do the AAMC FLs in order. That way you're going from the oldest/least accurate to the newest/most accurate.

I usually do pretty well on the Biological Sciences, but Test #6 really killed me on it. I don't know why. The passes were more in depth/detailed than usual.

Which one was hardest for you?

i don't know how much this will help since i only did three aamc practice tests, but here's my score breakdown:

ps / vr / bs

aamc 3: 12/12/13
aamc 6: 12/11/12
aamc 7: 13/10/13

the scores were pretty consistent, but i felt like 6 was the hardest -- i didn't have that much time to go back and check my answers at the end! also, i just got bored with practice tests (i did them three days in a row, right before my actual mcat -- not very good planning).

i don't know how much this will help since i only did three aamc practice tests, but here's my score breakdown:

ps / vr / bs

aamc 3: 12/12/13
aamc 6: 12/11/12
aamc 7: 13/10/13

the scores were pretty consistent, but i felt like 6 was the hardest -- i didn't have that much time to go back and check my answers at the end! also, i just got bored with practice tests (i did them three days in a row, right before my actual mcat -- not very good planning).

Do you want a pat on the back or will a cookie suffice?

I've found them relatively the same.... some with sections that stick out....

the only section i really didn't like was the verbal on 8....

Which felt the hardest or which gave my lowest score? AAMC 5 gave me my lowest score and AAMC 7 gave me my highest. But, #7 didn't feel that easy to me, and #8 felt easier to me but I scored worse. So...