Official **AAMC Test 7 Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It would be intersting to see people's interpretations of Test 7. Harder or easier than 5R or 6R? Which of the three most closely resembled the actual MCAT? Was this the best test that AAMC publishes?

5R and 6R have been around for a while, but 7 is new and it would be nice to accumulate a bunch of responses regarding this test.

So tell us what you thought!

(Keep in mind that many, myslef included, still haven't taken it yet, so please do give away the answers to specific questions)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i took it a few days ago, because i missed our TPR administration of it. They gave it to us 2 saturdays ago.

It was the first AAMC test i took, after taking the TPR diags.
The first thing i noticed was how much less in depth the PS section was compared to 4911-31. So that was a bonus.

VR was the same if not a bit harder, but i decided to write this part in a noisy environment to work on my concentration, so that might have contributed to it. There was a definate later/never question in there though.

BS seemed comparable to TPR difficulty. Nothing too crazy, but it did seem rather orgo heavy. I felt like every other question was an organic chem one.

ended up with an 11 9 10. (for comparison, 4931 was 8 10 10).

I'm blaming the crappy VR on the change in environment....

I thought overall it was hard, especially the verbal section. I was a bit surprised by my score though, 12p,9v,10b.

I was disappointed with the bio section, b/c I missed a lot of questions on one passage. The passage about the I think H. p. virus--can't remember, but it was one before that orgo passages with the diagrams. I thought that it was the hardest bio section of all the aamc's.

I didn't do one passage from the physical sciences, which I usually finish. I think it was a reflection of my uncertainty of my answers. I went back to check my test and found out that had I made two stupid mistakes; I could have gotten a 13.

Verbal was crazy hard. The humanity sections I got almost all right. Humanity passages are usually my worst passages. Due to all the time they took me, I didn't finish 2 passages(15 q's), which were social sciences. Natural sciences were pretty typical.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that, overall, AAMC 7 was harder than Kaplan FL1-5. PS in isolation was much easier. Verbal on AAMC 7 was harder than Kaplan FL 1-6 and any of the ExamKrackers 101 passages - but that's just my own perspective.

When I took AAMC 7, I thought the verbal was easy in the beginning then got really hard at the end. PS was mediocre and BS I thought was easy. I ended up getting a 12P 9V 14B on it. I ended up with the same overall score on the real deal but with a much more balanced breakdown.

I thought AAMC 7 was a lot harder than the other tests I've taken. My Kaplan center just received it today, so I took it. I think I have MCAT burnout of late, but here's a comparison of my scores for you:

Real MCAT (August 2003): 26 (8 PS, 10 VR, 8 BS)
Kaplan Diagnostic: 23 (8 PS, 7 VR, 8 BS)
Kaplan FL#1: 28 (9 PS, 9 VR, 10 BS)
Kaplan FL#3: 31 (10 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS)
Kaplan FL#2: 32 (11 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS)
Kaplan FL#4: 28 (10 PS, 9 VR, 9 BS)

So I freaked out about my score dropping 4 points on FL#4 this past Saturday, and as a result I took Kaplan FL#8 yesterday:

Kaplan FL#8: 29 (10 PS, 9 VR, 10 BS)

Today I took AAMC 7, thinking that Kaplan's exams are harder than the real thing and harder than AAMC's exams. I planned on getting low 30's again and boosting my confidence. Instead...

AAMC 7: 26 (8 PS, 8 VR, 10 BS)

Now I'm really concerned about my score. I thought I did better than 8 on PS. It seemed easier than Kaplan's PS sections. I thought VR was significantly harder than Kaplan's VR sections. Biology seemed about the same. Overall, AAMC 7 seemed to be slightly harder than last August's MCAT. I hope so, or else I have wasted hundreds of hours studying with Kaplan over the last couple of months.

I hope it's just MCAT burnout, because I know I have continued to learn new things over the past few weeks - I certainly haven't forgotten anything. Is anyone else experiencing the same downward trend lately?

Clemson Doc said:
I thought AAMC 7 was a lot harder than the other tests I've taken. My Kaplan center just received it today, so I took it. I think I have MCAT burnout of late, but here's a comparison of my scores for you:

Real MCAT (August 2003): 26 (8 PS, 10 VR, 8 BS)
Kaplan Diagnostic: 23 (8 PS, 7 VR, 8 BS)
Kaplan FL#1: 28 (9 PS, 9 VR, 10 BS)
Kaplan FL#3: 31 (10 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS)
Kaplan FL#2: 32 (11 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS)
Kaplan FL#4: 28 (10 PS, 9 VR, 9 BS)

So I freaked out about my score dropping 4 points on FL#4 this past Saturday, and as a result I took Kaplan FL#8 yesterday:

Kaplan FL#8: 29 (10 PS, 9 VR, 10 BS)

Today I took AAMC 7, thinking that Kaplan's exams are harder than the real thing and harder than AAMC's exams. I planned on getting low 30's again and boosting my confidence. Instead...

AAMC 7: 26 (8 PS, 8 VR, 10 BS)

Now I'm really concerned about my score. I thought I did better than 8 on PS. It seemed easier than Kaplan's PS sections. I thought VR was significantly harder than Kaplan's VR sections. Biology seemed about the same. Overall, AAMC 7 seemed to be slightly harder than last August's MCAT. I hope so, or else I have wasted hundreds of hours studying with Kaplan over the last couple of months.

I hope it's just MCAT burnout, because I know I have continued to learn new things over the past few weeks - I certainly haven't forgotten anything. Is anyone else experiencing the same downward trend lately?

how'd you do on your other aamc exams?

Yeah...I need the answers too! TPR gave us test 7 without the annotated solutions! Please pm me if you have the annotated solutions. Thank you so much.

MDtoBe777 said:
Yeah...I need the answers too! TPR gave us test 7 without the annotated solutions! Please pm me if you have the annotated solutions. Thank you so much.

how about score conversion table? Does any body have it? AAMC website has only for 3R-6R. Thanks

some people wanted just the score key, here it is:

PS VR BS
15 76-77 60-60 76-77
14 74-75 59-59 74-75
13 70-73 55-58 70-73
12 65-69 51-54 64-69
11 61-64 48-50 59-63
10 57-60 44-47 54-58
9 53-56 41-43 49-53
8 48-52 37-40 44-48
7 42-47 34-36 41-43
6 36-41 30-33 36-40
5 31-35 27-29 32-35
give up if your score is below here....

Ok so I just graded 7...Thought verbal was way hard and bio was very very heavy on the ochem, didn't like that...Pretty much what everyone else is saying. I felt surprisingly good after physical (its my weakest) but did the same as I always do (9), horrible after verbal (but did the same as i usually do - 11) and pissed after bio that there was so much ochem. :)

In the end though I did pretty much the exact same as I did on aamc 4-6...31...Seriously, after doing nearly the entire PR science workbook my scores did not improve whatsoever...I'd be thrilled w/ a 31, thrilled, but come on..the entire book! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey bella,
good job on your 31! With a bit more review, I'm sure you'll improve a point or two on the real thing. I'm taking the 7r sometime this weekend after I recover from a cold. I know that you're practicing with the EK books, and I was wondering if the EK verbal prepared you enough to tackle the 7R verbal. I usually get 8s on all the EK101.. my first score was a 7, but it's been 8 till the end (even on 1f-3g).

good job on your 31! With a bit more review, I'm sure you'll improve a point or two on the real thing. I'm taking the 7r sometime this weekend after I recover from a cold. I know that you're practicing with the EK books, and I was wondering if the EK verbal prepared you enough to tackle the 7R verbal. I usually get 8s on all the EK101.. my first score was a 7, but it's been 8 till the end (even on 1f-3g).

thanks for your kind words! :) and i'm sorry to hear that you got sick, what awful timing.

i do think EK is good...it's the only thing i used really, and i do think it gives a good representation - or at least better than what else is out there - of the real thing. i got an 11 on 4R, a 9 on 5R, a 12 on 6R and an 11 on 7...I tended to get 9s, 10s, or 11s on the EK stuff so I think its a good predictor. I really thought the verbal passages on aamc 7 were hard...like physically hard to read. but i scored the same, so go figure. it IS hard to improve verbal and frustrating and i do sympathize. i got a high 9 on my first EK test like a year ago and i was still getting 9s to the bitter end in that book! but if you can get an 8 on the real thing and decent sciences i think you'll be fine. good luck and drink lots of fluids :) :luck: :)

Hi All

I need the answers to 7R...please PM me! Sorry so late, i'm taking it tomorrow. Also- do you think that 7R or 6R is more indicative of the real deal? I hope I do better on 7R than I do on 6R. Hehe..Thanks so much!

bella_dottoressa said:
In the end though I did pretty much the exact same as I did on aamc 4-6...31...Seriously, after doing nearly the entire PR science workbook my scores did not improve whatsoever...I'd be thrilled w/ a 31, thrilled, but come on..the entire book! :)

I got 31 on 4-6 too :)

I thought it was on par with AAMC 6R, maybe the verbal was more difficult, or moreso than i expected. Surprisingly overall it was my best score even with some really stupid mistakes.....but at least i was able to finish it which i didn't always in my earlier full-lengths.

seems to be of equal difficuly after converting my scores..just one point off what i got on other aamc and one point off of kaplan fl #3

I'm taking 7 tomorrow. I hope to break 30..maybe get around 31. The last test I took was 6R (10PS, 8V, 11BS). Hopefully the studying will pay off!

I'll report back tomorrow.

amen.

i hated the verbal section.

and how come everyone thinks the bio was harder in 6R? My bio score went down a freakin point on 7R...so pissed!

personally, i thought 6r was harder than 7r, but that was simply due to the fact that i spent about 10 hours this past week going over organic. not sure if my bio knowledge improved any in the past week, but getting those few questions back from orgo put me up to the 11 from my 10 on 6r. but man, verbal was brutal

I just finished 7... I've only taken 3R (in terms of other AAMC tests).

3R PS10 VR12 BS9
7 PS9 VR10 BS10

Verbal reasoning is usually my strong area... but it was HARD on 7. I'm depressed... I hoped to break 30... instead, I went down by 2 points overall.

I just took test 7R,

Damn I hate the verbal reasoning section with a passion. I got a 32 with 13PS 13BS and a 6VR :mad: :mad: . I have usually averaged 8's on all the other aamc tests, and got 10's on my last few kaplan exams. I don't know what happened, but I pray to do better on Saturday. Good Luck to all

took 7 today as well

13, 8 (sigh), 13

1 question away from a 9 in verbal...i'd be set if i could raise it a few points

glad others thought verbal was tough

13 8 13 too. (PS, VS, BS) Definitely did not like Verbal one bit. I usually score around 10 :(

yeah, the verbal was tough, but it is most representitive of what we have to deal with on saturday

sigh, why did I always just use Cliffnotes when i needed to read novels for school, i guess my laziness is coming back to bite me in the ass

some/most of the explanations for 7R were pretty useless --- as in no correlation to the question --

I think the answer for #166 is just wrong --- should be B, not D -- right?

also, #171 - what is the explanation? it should be D right?

thanks-

and yes, the verbal was much harder than the EK101s - I hope it isnt like that on saturday!

verbal was as hard as i've seen. i made the mistake of checking my PS answers after i finished that section. was relieved that score went up and as a result i was not in the right mindset (not concentrated enough) to take verbal. half those passages i'd read and didnt really know the main idea. somehow i got a 10 on it. but the whole time i was just thinking this is ridiculous.

passage 4 about atonality i had no idea and literally had to guess. even now that i look at it i still dont got a clue...

got a 12 PS 10 V 11 BS
coulda as easily been a 13 PS or 11 PS, 9 V or 11 V, 10 BS or 12 BS..

scale is awfully close...

jon boy,

We are freakishly similar. I also got a 33 on test seven. 12PS, 9V, 12BS

I was one point from a 10 in verbal, and one point from a 13 in Bio. So we are in good shape for this week. We need to be confident and stop this thing. Good luck to everyone, there should be lots of praying this week! (and every week)

Good luck to myself, and of course, everyone else.

Tex10 said:
some/most of the explanations for 7R were pretty useless --- as in no correlation to the question --

I think the answer for #166 is just wrong --- should be B, not D -- right?

also, #171 - what is the explanation? it should be D right?

thanks-

and yes, the verbal was much harder than the EK101s - I hope it isnt like that on saturday!

Some people have different tests, if your questions are about cell division and IR spec respectively, then yes, D is correct for both of them

Someone care to explain to me #60...

i guess i've never learned the wt-wt notation

TPR hasn't given us any answers for this test

I missed this one too.

wt-wt is just percent by mass.

I think it said 10% PbNO3, well that leaves 90% H2O

Then pretend its 100grams, so 10 grams PbNO3 and 90 grams H2O

Find the #of moles of each for each amount present

and then use mole fraction

i see, and #184 in bio...

i put 3%, but now i see that you double it because the intensities of the peaks only add up to 50, not 100

i dont really get why though

thanks for the response

wow thats weird..seems like we been getting the same scores since tpr 3rd diag. i looked at the ones i missed and its pretty funny how most of them are just careless errors..im just gonna review all the stuff over again maybe take 1 more test..my friend has access to 3R, dont know if its any good...still a bit shaky on a few physical science things...

which is more polar Ph=O or Ph-OH

why is the -OH MORE polar?

thanks

Yeah, I remember this question. I got it right but had to think about it. I knew that when you protonate the O it makes the carbonyl more susceptible to nucleophilic attack, so I figured it must make the carbon more positive so it would make it more polar...Someone give a better explanation :)

Tex10 said:

which is more polar Ph=O or Ph-OH

thanks

My guess is that with carbonyl group, more electron density is spread between the O and C, but with the alcohol, you only have sigma bonds so the O has more e- density.

Anyone have an understanding of 184?

but cliffnotes rock ...i am taking 7r wednesday
awesome thread cant wait to see this verbal ye speak of

blebl34 said:
My guess is that with carbonyl group, more electron density is spread between the O and C, but with the alcohol, you only have sigma bonds so the O has more e- density.

Anyone have an understanding of 184?

If this is a question about the TLC problem, then stick with what sounds right. The TLC problem isn't on the TEST 7 that is avaiable. There are aparently different versions of Test 7 with some different questions, that is why the two questions 163 and 171 are errors in the answer key. Both of you sound like you have the same test as me, and these questions, 163,166,171 aren't on the test 7 right now.

There are also some other errors in the PS sections, at least mine that you would find if you had the solutions to the actual test.

I don't know why it is like this. Where did you get your test from, I am guession you didn't buy it from AAMC, or else you would have the solutions manual.

I took 7 yesterday:
PS: 10
VR: 9 ( I paced myself terribly and ended up getting 8 out of the last 10 questions wrong...
BS: 10
=29!

I am perfectly happy with a 29.... a 30 on the real thing would be great.. but a 29 would do me just fine. Heck, I would even be happy with a 9,9,9....!

As of now, I am LOVING examkrackers for helping me with verbal.... before I woudl get 7 or 8 everytime.....now it's usually a 9 or 10.... Hopefully that holds up next saturday!

i took 7 yesterday with my tpr course..

improved well and finally hit my goal

PS: 11
V:9
BS:10

best of luck to all this wk on the 14th....

Remember...you can score as many touchdowns in practice as you want...but all that work doesn't matter when you can't score in the super bowl...