*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i love post haste on devo

Members don't see this ad.

It's definitely more than the average applicant. Some might consider it too much, especially in regards to a) application expenses and b) time to complete secondaries.

You'd only be paying about $900 for the primary application, and I think most schools waive secondary application fees, so it won't be too expensive.

If you have the time to complete all those secondaries, go for it.

I applied to 30 schools and got into 2. If you have my stats, 30 is actually a pretty good number. If your stats are above mine, you can probably err on the side of fewer schools as long as they're all in your money zone. If lower . . . Well, I'm not sure what I would do in that situation.

And you can also take a look at my mdapps if you want an idea of what schools are good to apply to.

hi i have some questions about coursework:

1) the AP coursework tutorial suggested we write "AP Credit: _____" under course name. even though my school might've named some of them differently do i still follow the format it suggested? (for example AP U.S. Gov & Politics became POL SCI UNITED STATES in my transcript, but i could just put "AP Credit: U.S. Government & Politics" right?)

2) I go to UCLA and took two classes at UCI over the summer, which transferred over with the letter grade & unit credit. do i still have to send in a separate transcript from UCI? sorry if this question's been answered before! >.<

1. Yes.

2. It would be safest to send both transcripts. You should send a transcript from every school you attended.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi i have some questions about coursework:

1) the AP coursework tutorial suggested we write "AP Credit: _____" under course name. even though my school might've named some of them differently do i still follow the format it suggested? (for example AP U.S. Gov & Politics became POL SCI UNITED STATES in my transcript, but i could just put "AP Credit: U.S. Government & Politics" right?)

I'm not sure this is right... The impression I got was to only do this if a course name wasn't given by the undergraduate institution conferring credit. Here's an excerpt from the AMCAS Instruction Manual:

"If the transcript from the college awarding AP credit does not list actual course names, enter the subject area for which credit has been earned (e.g., AP Credit: English) as the Course Name."

I'm not sure this is right... The impression I got was to only do this if a course name wasn't given by the undergraduate institution conferring credit. Here's an excerpt from the AMCAS Instruction Manual:

"If the transcript from the college awarding AP credit does not list actual course names, enter the subject area for which credit has been earned (e.g., AP Credit: English) as the Course Name."

Moral of the story: AMCAS sucks.

How am I to cite research projects in progress? I have two projects in progress (Primary on one, third author on the other) and one project being written up at the moment. Also, I have two abstracts accepted to present posters at major conferences.... how do I work those in?

How am I to cite research projects in progress? I have two projects in progress (Primary on one, third author on the other) and one project being written up at the moment. Also, I have two abstracts accepted to present posters at major conferences.... how do I work those in?

If they're not published, you can't list them as publications, but you can certainly write about your research as one of your activities.

For the abstracts, you can have one activity section labeled "publications" and list them there as "accepted abstracts" or, if you present the poster before your application goes in "Poster presentation" with the full citation of the work included in the text.

So in high school I took a dual enrollment course with the local community college and got credit for it transferred at the University I went to after graduating from high school. I know I have to submit the transcript from both my university and community college. But the thing is when I took this course the community college was called Seminole Community College. Since then the college has been renamed Seminole State college. The transcript from my University would mention the original name but the transcript from the community college would state the new name. Is that going to be a problem for AMCAS? If so how do you guys think I should go about trying to fix this?

I was in the exact same situation last year. Honestly, I never even thought about it being a problem to fix. I just assumed that AMCAS would be able to tell that, at some point, there was a name change. Thankfully that was true. It didn't delay my verification or cause me any problems during interviews. :luck:

So in high school I took a dual enrollment course with the local community college and got credit for it transferred at the University I went to after graduating from high school. I know I have to submit the transcript from both my university and community college. But the thing is when I took this course the community college was called Seminole Community College. Since then the college has been renamed Seminole State college. The transcript from my University would mention the original name but the transcript from the community college would state the new name. Is that going to be a problem for AMCAS? If so how do you guys think I should go about trying to fix this?

I don't foresee there being a huge problem here. Call up your university and/or AMCAS and go from there. Regardless, I would think that anyone reviewing it would see that it was the same course with the same grade at the same time.

I have the same problem :/ hopefully nothing happens. Go Florida wooo

Your transcript from the Community College should haves some sort of note about the name change. My undergrad changed its name in the 80s and again in the 90s and both old names were listed on the back of the official transcript.

i love post haste on devo

I was in the exact same situation last year. Honestly, I never even thought about it being a problem to fix. I just assumed that AMCAS would be able to tell that, at some point, there was a name change. Thankfully that was true. It didn't delay my verification or cause me any problems during interviews. :luck:
Merging

I partook in Sea Semester (www.sea.edu) through BU and while my LAC only accepted credits from this program, BU has a transcript for me so I know I need to submit it to AMCAS. My question is should I mark the "study abroad program" box or not? Sea Semester advertises itself as study abroad but in reality, I was in Woods Hole, MA for 6 weeks, and then sailing for 6 weeks (only stepping foot on another country for 4 days or so). I'm wondering if this should be considered to be an extension program (don't really know what that means) or study abroad. Thanks!

I graduated from paramedic school last year. The program is simply a program, it did not grant any college credit. All I graduated with was a diploma, the program was through a local hospital. I did receive a transcript though. Where should I include it on my application? Further complicating things, I was given 8 credits by my home institution as independent study in order to keep my scholarships.
Thanks

Last edited:
I graduated from paramedic school last year. The program is simply a program, it did not grant any college credit. All I graduated with was a diploma, the program was through a local hospital. I did receive a transcript though. Where should I include it on my application?
Thanks

Similar situation here, except mines was a Comptia A+ computer certificate. Not sure how to add that? Any suggestions on what we should do?

Members don't see this ad :)
2) I go to UCLA and took two classes at UCI over the summer, which transferred over with the letter grade & unit credit. do i still have to send in a separate transcript from UCI? sorry if this question's been answered before! >.<

I have this exact same question. Went to ucla, and took UCI summer classes as well.

I saw that this was answered with a "to be sure, yes", but was wondering if anyone had a more definitive answer.

I ask because the classes I took at UCI show up on my UCLA transcript already. My only worry about sending them both is that they are listed under different course names on the UCI transcript and UCLA transcript, and there could be a chance that AMCAS credits me with these classes twice on accident.

Hey guys I dont know why but Im a bit confused about sending transcripts to AMCAS. Basically once you put down your colleges you have to print out a request form for each college that you attended/took classes in. After that you bring your request form to the college and from there they send it to AMCAS based on directions written on the form? Is that correct?

Also whats the best time to send transcripts? As soon as possible? Is it okay to send transcripts before AMCAS is submitted on June 5th?

I have this exact same question. Went to ucla, and took UCI summer classes as well.

I saw that this was answered with a "to be sure, yes", but was wondering if anyone had a more definitive answer.

I ask because the classes I took at UCI show up on my UCLA transcript already. My only worry about sending them both is that they are listed under different course names on the UCI transcript and UCLA transcript, and there could be a chance that AMCAS credits me with these classes twice on accident.

You can submit an appeal to change classes if they were, in fact, the same. However, you need the original transcript from the institution you took the course at to prove more definitively that that school actually gave you the grade on your transcript.

Hey guys I dont know why but Im a bit confused about sending transcripts to AMCAS. Basically once you put down your colleges you have to print out a request form for each college that you attended/took classes in. After that you bring your request form to the college and from there they send it to AMCAS based on directions written on the form? Is that correct?

Also whats the best time to send transcripts? As soon as possible? Is it okay to send transcripts before AMCAS is submitted on June 5th?

Everything you said is correct. Send them in now.

If we have spring grades coming in, are you supposed to tell the registrar to submit transcripts only after grades are out? I'm working on finishing a masters right now. Do I have to wait to submit my AMCAS after I get the grades so I can list them?

If we have spring grades coming in, are you supposed to tell the registrar to submit transcripts only after grades are out? I'm working on finishing a masters right now. Do I have to wait to submit my AMCAS after I get the grades so I can list them?

You don't have to wait to submit, but your application can't be verified until AMCAS receives your transcript(s). I would wait to send in the transcript until after your grades came in.

So do you mean you can submit without the grade filled in on AMCAS and submit, and after AMCAS gets the transcript, they will add in the grade for you once you get verified?

I don't understand how to enter military course work/AARTS transcript information. What do I select as the college or whatever for this coursework? It is stuff that was not at an institution per say, but stuff like basic training etc. that is on the transcript.

Can any of you Vets out there help me out?

Thanks!

Asked this question in the TMDSAS thread, but it looks pretty dead in there....so I'll ask it here.

I have a doctor of pharmacy degree. Under salutation, should I put "Dr."? Even though this is my official title, I do not want any adcoms to think that I call myself a "doctor" in a professional setting. I do not say "This is Dr. blah blah", I just say my first name.

Asked this question in the TMDSAS thread, but it looks pretty dead in there....so I'll ask it here.

I have a doctor of pharmacy degree. Under salutation, should I put "Dr."? Even though this is my official title, I do not want any adcoms to think that I call myself a "doctor" in a professional setting. I do not say "This is Dr. blah blah", I just say my first name.

It is primarily for addressing mail.

Use what you have your mail say... Mr., Mrs., Ms., Dr.

Question about course abbreviations:

If a course is listed "Physics-Flu,Wav,Thrmdyn,Optic" on my transcript, am I supposed to enter that, or enter the full, logical name "Physics - Fluids, Waves, Thermodynamics, Optics"?

The AMCAS manual says "Enter the exact course name in English" but it's not clear whether that means to include the exact abbreviations on my transcript or not.

Is the request form a requirement? I can request the official transcript to be sent to the amcas address online through my school. Is this not allowed? Its a huge state school so its not practical for everyone to come in person.

Question about course abbreviations:

If a course is listed "Physics-Flu,Wav,Thrmdyn,Optic" on my transcript, am I supposed to enter that, or enter the full, logical name "Physics - Fluids, Waves, Thermodynamics, Optics"?

The AMCAS manual says "Enter the exact course name in English" but it's not clear whether that means to include the exact abbreviations on my transcript or not.

Exactly as it says on your transcript.

Only use a logical abbreviation if the exact course name as it appears on your transcript won't fit into the AMCAS box.

Under Letters of evaluation, it says "Is this letter from a school"? What exactly does this mean?

1) If it is from a pharmacy professor with a letterhead from the pharmacy school, but I'm sending this through interfolio, do I answer yes or no?

2) If it is from a pharmacy professor with a letterhead from a hospital, but affliated with the school of pharmacy, AND I'm sending this from interfolio, do I answer yes or no?

Under Letters of evaluation, it says "Is this letter from a school"? What exactly does this mean?

1) If it is from a pharmacy professor with a letterhead from the pharmacy school, but I'm sending this through interfolio, do I answer yes or no?

2) If it is from a pharmacy professor with a letterhead from a hospital, but affliated with the school of pharmacy, AND I'm sending this from interfolio, do I answer yes or no?

1) Yes

2) I'm not 100% sure, but I would say no

Ah, a fellow pharmacist applying this cycle, good for you! Hopefully it's not to the same schools as me...:|

I know AMCAS says to enter courses the exact way they are. But:

CORE:STAT APP-PHAR/ALLIED HLTH
CORE:CALC APPL-PHARM&ALLIED
CLIN APPL OF PHA KINETIC&DYNAM
D&D:GI & URINARY TRACT

I don't know if anyone will know what this means, so I changed the headings of them to:
Core: Statistics
Core: Calculus
Clinical Appl of Pharm Kinetics & Dynam
Drugs & Diseases

Is this OK or should I revert everything?

Ah, a fellow pharmacist applying this cycle, good for you! Hopefully it's not to the same schools as me...:|

I know AMCAS says to enter courses the exact way they are. But:

CORE:STAT APP-PHAR/ALLIED HLTH
CORE:CALC APPL-PHARM&ALLIED
CLIN APPL OF PHA KINETIC&DYNAM
D&D:GI & URINARY TRACT

I don't know if anyone will know what this means, so I changed the headings of them to:
Core: Statistics
Core: Calculus
Clinical Appl of Pharm Kinetics & Dynam
Drugs & Diseases

Is this OK or should I revert everything?

I'd revert it all. The course names aren't too hard to figure out.

The AMCAS manual states, "Enter the exact course name in English and the exact course number as they appear on the official transcript in the designated fields. If the exact course name does not fit, enter a logical abbreviation."

Think about it this way... AMCAS will have a reason to make changes if the names don't match up exactly. If they do exactly match, there won't be a need to make changes.

Agreed. AMCAS does a line to line check and if you're using a different name it's just going to make it harder for them to match your respective courses. You should revert it and do it by-the-books.

Oh god... All these pharmacists are going to dilute the awesomeness of my own PharmD degree:laugh:

I am currently a senior in my last semester. My grades for the spring semester won't be out until late may. If i am sending the transcript without my spring grades, how will medical schools see my spring semester grades?

Thanks guys and good luck to all!
:)

Years attended community college:

I took summer school classes at the local community college in 2008 and 2010. When I go to enter in this academic institution, do I list 2008-2010 for the years attended for two separate summer schools sessions?

Gotlactose: yep that's exactly what I did.

They'll see the spring grades after they've accepted you and ask for your updated transcript.

If the grades are great, I'd probably wait until they were official and then send the transcript. A week isn't going to affect your application.
Thanks for the reply! if i don't include them, is it likely for them to ask during the interview?

Stupid question, but do we pay when we submit the application? It told me the balance due, but I didn't see anywhere to actually pay?

If my gpa for this semester turns out a bit lower than what i had hoped for can i send in my transcript as soon as possible so that it wont show spring grades? Or is that not advisable?

I have two questions here:

One: EDIT: I saw this was already answered. Woops. Sorry!

Two: I entered my freshman year with enough credits to be a junior. Do I label the classes I took that year as "freshman" classes or "Junior" classes (the coursework guide said somethign about 27-35 credit hours being a year, but it feels weird to enter those classes I took as a freshman as "junior" classes).

Thanks all!
:D

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I can get a LOR until July, but can I still submit my primary application to the schools and then provide the letter, or do I wait for the letter before I apply?

Thanks

hmmm ic i need to read the manual carefully.. but for example AP Bio counted in my transcript as "LIFESCI UNASSIGNED"... so i should put that in, even tho it says 'unassigned'?

You can submit an appeal to change classes if they were, in fact, the same. However, you need the original transcript from the institution you took the course at to prove more definitively that that school actually gave you the grade on your transcript.

that makes sense. thanks, i'll submit one from UCI too even though the letter grades transferred.

My school uses a system where each course is given 1 credit (e.g. to graduate you need 32 credits). When filling this out on AMCAS, should I put the 1 credit under credit hours, or 4 credits, which is what my school's registrar says each credit is equivalent to? I appreciate any suggestions!

Put 4. AMCAS will look at at and change it as they see fit anyway.

I just called AMCAS. They said for CORE STAT APP and those types, abbreviations shouldn't be used. But they said for "D&D" expand it? So I guess I'll expand it, or maybe call again next week to double make sure.

You should put down whatever is on your transcript. That's what the instruction manual says. AMCAS will make the appropriate conversions.

My school uses a system where each course is given 1 credit (e.g. to graduate you need 32 credits). When filling this out on AMCAS, should I put the 1 credit under credit hours, or 4 credits, which is what my school's registrar says each credit is equivalent to? I appreciate any suggestions!

Put 4. AMCAS will look at at and change it as they see fit anyway.

You should put down whatever is on your transcript. That's what the instruction manual says. AMCAS will make the appropriate conversions.
Merging

Page 40 of the instruction manual tells you to "Indicate your credit hours or units exactly as they appear on your transcript"