About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by aSagacious, Mar 7, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Camy99

Camy99 RIP MJ

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I have a question concerning Placement Tests. These aren't shown on my unofficial transcript, and idk if they'll be on my official transcript but I've satisfied 2 GE requirements (language and global issues) from 1) My spanish placement test and 2) My score on my SAT II French exam.
    I didn't see anything on AMCAS about SAT stuff, but I did about placement test. But since it's not actually shown on my transcript idk if I should include it.
  2. Wolverine Fan

Wolverine Fan

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  3. virtuoso735

virtuoso735

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    When I'm describing my volunteer activities that are still ongoing, should I write in the past or present tense? The past tense feels more natural and sounds better to me, but they're still ongoing so using the present tense would make sense. What tense did you guys use for activities that are still ongoing?
  4. Wolverine Fan

Wolverine Fan

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  5. pfaction

pfaction

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    We already had this conversation before, and I'm going to have to find the links again, amn't I?
    NYU
    USF
    Hofstra
    Jefferson
    Einstein

I just stopped looking for a while. I called 21 schools so far, some of them like some South Carolina school refused as well.

I go to St. John's.

EDIT:

You should probably call NYU again, because they ****ing lied to you:
    http://school.med.nyu.edu/admissions/how-apply/admissions-requirement-0

NYU SOM requires completion of undergraduate study and a baccalaureate degree.

Your move.
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
  6. DOCTAfoHIRE

DOCTAfoHIRE

Pre-Medical
    This isnt the place for this discussion. NYU I was put on hold and the woman went and checked with the dean of admissions. I dont really see how they are lying to me. I was very clear about having heard that some schools do not accept pharmacy students and I was assured that while some schools may have those policies, they had never heard of anything like that and that they did not have such policies. Just because the schools list a bachelors as a requirement on their website doesnt mean they wont make an exception for a Pharm.D. student. After our discussion I talked to several advisers at my schools. Its a large state school and they have seen a decent share of pharmacy students who have went on to medical school. They have not heard a single student ever mention anything about being denied from a school due to not having a bachelors. They didnt know where I was coming from at all.

Im not saying that there arent schools who have this policy. Im just saying that its definitely not the norm. Also I was told that some schools list a bachelors as a requirement but they really require a certain number of credits. They just list a bachelors because most people applying will have a bachelors.

Btw mayo also accepts pharm.ds.
  7. pfaction

pfaction

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Lemme know what you find, because PharMed got rejected from his own school for not having a Bachelor's, and I got the same results when I called his list of schools. Unwavering *******s.
  8. Trisphorin

Trisphorin

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hey guys, i am a senior and studying for my finals this week. I just sent out my transcript without my last semester of college grades to amcas yesterday. by the time i am filling out and be done with my app in june i will have all the grades including my last semester grades that were not on the transcript i sent out. do i include them or not? if i do, then i would have to send out an updated transcript to amcas ?

good luck!
  9. Trisphorin

Trisphorin

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    sorry about the duplicate.
  10. Wolverine Fan

Wolverine Fan

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  11. sector9

sector9 'He's a loathsome, offensive brute' Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Medical Student
    SDN Published Author hSDN Alumni SDN 2+ Year Member
    Relevant LizzyM quote
    Relevant AMCAS FAQ
    https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/183144/amcas_2010_faqs-6.8.html

Questions?
  12. pfaction

pfaction

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have a question then. I'm sending mine out Tuesday after meeting with my adviser, but I think our transcripts are "updated" around mid-June. If for some reason I'm verified by then, would it be worth it to re-send? I have clinical rotations on them and I think maybe 5-6 A/A-'s on those will look quite good.
  13. Trisphorin

Trisphorin

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    it will actually be lowered by a tiny bit... i am just worried that it might create discrepancy between my sent transcript and the amcas app i am sending out.
  14. sector9

Medical Student
    As the FAQ I linked to above mentions, AMCAS does not do grade updates. If you want the grades to be reflected on your primary application, you have to wait to send in your transcripts until after the grades are posted.
  15. Wolverine Fan

Wolverine Fan

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  16. Wolverine Fan

Wolverine Fan

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  17. pfaction

pfaction

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ooooh. So Monday I'm going to see when the transcripts are going to be sent out, and if my grades aren't in for a very long time, I'll just send it the way it is. I ended on a high note anyways, my first ever 4.0 :thumbup: Thanks for your continual help.
  18. Trisphorin

Trisphorin

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I didn't know you could do that...but thanks alot !
  19. sector9

Medical Student
    I'm a little confused about what you mean. So you're saying you would send in your transcript without your spring grades, then send in one with your spring grades, then submit your application? I'd save some money and send it in when your grades are posted but you're right on the technicality that you could do it that way.
  20. Wolverine Fan

Wolverine Fan

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  21. sector9

Medical Student
    Gotcha. Correct
  22. 1289

Medical Student
    If I submit my amcas with an expected test date included, but already have one score, and it goes to a school where my original score is competitive, will they review w out the new score? I know that right now I am competitive enough at a couple of schools in my state to not need the retake, but am not sure if I want to go to those schools so I am planning a retake mid-July. As such I don't want to hold up my app at those places for a retake that I'm pretty sure I don't really "need" for them.. any insight? can I submit a separate amcas to them w out the test date included?

also to anyone who reads this and wonders why I'm bothering with a retake in the first place, I was told by a pre-med adviser that the National average has been going up every year, and while my mcat was "okay" this year, who knews what will happen with scores next year..
  23. DanGee777

DanGee777

Pre-Medical
    No option for separate AMCAS apps. Assuming that most of your schools will send secondaries automatically, I would e-mail the admissions office at the state schools and confirm with them that you're retaking, but say that you're happy to have them review it with your current MCAT score. I don't know if they'll agree to do this considering you're going to have a "planned" date on your AMCAS app, but they'd be able to advise you better.

If you don't mind sharing, knowing your state of residence as well as your current MCAT score (with breakdown into PS, VS, BS and writing subscores) would probably help.
  24. dreamer67

dreamer67

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Well these were high school courses I took that I paid to receive college credits for. So, for example, I took history in HS during the 07-08 academic year, and paid to earn 3 credits at a state college for this course. On my transcript at this state college it lists my credits under Fall 2007 (although it was a full academic year in HS that I was taking this course). This was the only year in HS where I earned college credits at this state college, so my transcript from this college only has credits for Fall 2007 - for history and one other course. So, would I enter my attendance at this college as Aug 07-June 08 (the time period during which I was taking this course work in HS), or would I enter it as Aug07-Dec07 (since only Fall 2007 is listed on my transcript)?

Even after I enter the dates of attendance of this college, and choose to add a course, it asks for the academic term. I am not sure what to put for this either. Would I just put "1st semester fall" since this is what is on the transcript?

Sorry, I know it is confusing, but hopefully that clears it up. Thanks for your help:)

25. pfaction

pfaction

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yeah dreamer that's what I did, I took 2005-2007 courses and I put them in exactly, under "HS" designation. If you took a class in 2005 only in the fall, and 2008 only in the spring, I would put 2005-2008 and the courses exactly how it was put.
  26. UCUCUC

UCUCUC

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Am I suppose to see my mcat scores in my application????

It currently says "not loaded"

I took the mcat last summer and scores have already been released.
  27. Wolverine Fan

Wolverine Fan

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  28. 235788

235788 God Complex

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    the second you register for another it appears on your application, if I remember correctly. Or you just declare that you're taking it again.
  29. sector9

Medical Student
    Merging
  30. kryptonian

kryptonian

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm sorry if this is potentially a very dumb question, but I'm just curious: Can we view our transcript copy via AMCAS after it is received ? Or the only thing we can see on AMCAS is its status "received"/"not received" ?
  31. badgerpride

badgerpride

Pre-Medical
    Hi- I have a ton of activities- more than the 15 activity/job spaces we have space for. I was thinking of grouping my two publications together, as well as my two summers as an Undergraduate Research Fellow.

Do you think this is a good idea? I know publications are a big deal, so I want the app. readers to see that I have two! But I'm not sure how else to keep all my other activities in the application...
  32. sector9

Medical Student
    They'll only tell you that it has been received
  33. sector9

Medical Student
    Here is a better location for your question http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=896983
  34. REPTAR013

REPTAR013 Whats up me?

Pre-Medical
    Sorry, I've been having trouble figuring out my academic year to put down for my courses. Basically I matriculated into my university with 32 hours (20AP, 12 dual credit).

AMCAS says to enter the AP grades as Freshman, but then when I have to start entering my classes for that first year I am considered a Sophomore by credit hours. Should I simply have all my classes that term year listed as freshman or switch from freshman to sophomore within the term?
  35. Wolverine Fan

Wolverine Fan

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  36. REPTAR013

REPTAR013 Whats up me?

Pre-Medical
    Thanks a bunch Wolverine Fan. I'm just gonna make my first semester all freshman, switch to sophomore second semester, and then switch to junior status for my second year.
  37. Wolverine Fan

Wolverine Fan

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  38. kryptonian

kryptonian

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks
  39. nwoye

nwoye darwinlives

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yes, applying to 30 medical schools is a bit much..try to complete as many secondaries as you can before secondaries start coming in (I submitted my application on June 4th and got my first secondary on June 20). There's an sdn link where people post previous secondaries, last year's secondaries: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823374, I did my last year using 2010-2011 secondaries during my application and they were mostly identical when the emails started rolling in.
    Lastly, some of the schools have rolling admissions which means you want to submit your secondary application asap. Start with those schools first.
    It can be done, gl!
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
  40. CodeRedDew

CodeRedDew Thirst Quencher

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If I'm declaring a second major this week (haven't decided if I'm going to do it yet) but have already submitted my official transcript to AMCAS, will I have to resubmit a second transcript that has my newly declared major on it?
  41. hopefuldr1

hopefuldr1

Pre-Medical
    can someone help me out...? I have 9 poster presentations to list (3 regional/national and 6 on campus)- all dealing with the same research project.

Format is: Authors, date, title, location

my 3 regional/national poster presentations would be classified under "Presentations/posters" and I don't have a problem fitting those in the description box

however, I can only fit 3/6 of my campus poster presentations under "Research" in the description box...this also doesn't give me room to describe my research...I really don't want to classify this as "meaningful experience" just so I have more room...

any advice?
  42. Wolverine Fan

Wolverine Fan

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  43. Wolverine Fan

Wolverine Fan

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  44. stolen_biscuit

stolen_biscuit MS1 Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I searched this thread but did not find anyone with my problem. I will try to call AMCAS tomorrow but thought I'd try here.

I have a previous AMCAS ID/password from my MCAT. I used that to log in today and start my application. All was okay until I had to set my username/password; the instructions say to use the previous info. It won't let me use my old pw because I used symbols in it. The error message tells me to only used letters and numbers. When I try to enter a new pw, however, there is an error that it doesn't match my old one.

Ugh. Catch-22! Has anyone else had/solved this problem?
  45. Wolverine Fan

Wolverine Fan

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  46. stolen_biscuit

stolen_biscuit MS1 Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Will do - thanks! Need to get started on this app if it takes anything near as long as entering all my info in TMDSAS....
  47. sector9

Medical Student
    The campus posters aren't worth listing. You could mention them in passing in your research description but citations of them are not necessary
  48. amaranth

amaranth

SDN 5+ Year Member
    As a neuroscience major, but in a school where professors are either psych or bio, I had a bit of a difficulty classifying my courses.

If I have too many "errors" classifying my courses will my application be delayed?

Also, some of my course were dual departmental. I just listed the course numbers for both departments as it shows on my transcript. Is that right?
  49. MedPR

MedPR

Pre-Podiatry
    Question about repeats. Do we put "Repeat" for both classes (the original, and when we repeated), or just the repeat?
  50. folktale

folktale

Pre-Medical
    Regarding AP credits on my transcript, I have "AP Calc AB" twice on the transcript. I can only remember taking one AP calc in high school. Do I enter both as it is printed on the transcript? Or do I just enter one? This is also the same case with "US History" and "AP Government". They each appear twice on the transcript and I got credit twice for each of them. What do I do in this case?