*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, how can I tell if my hometown is technically rural? It is under one definition, but it isn't under another. Will they fix this during verification?

Members don't see this ad.

About how long did it for your mailed transcripts to be received? I had two schools mail them out 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard back from AMCAS. Not sure if I should request another transcript to be mailed out or not.

I am in the same situation. Mailed mine too more than 2 weeks and haven't seen my status changed to received. Is this normal?

Will we be made aware after our course verification has ended? One of my transcripts has been submitted for 2 days, but I see no difference on AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will we be made aware after our course verification has ended? One of my transcripts has been submitted for 2 days, but I see no difference on AMCAS.
You enter the verification queue once your app is submitted AND transcripts are in. You just entered, and it can take weeks, so right now patience is your friend. You will be notified when processing is complete, both by a status change on AMCAS and email, usually.

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question:

I'm having issues classifying a summer photography course that I took. I did not take it at my primary undergraduate institution, but at a school in my hometown. I'm am entering the information for the class under my hometown's school transcript information. I took the class between my sophomore and junior years of college. I say that the academic term that I took the class was in summer, but when I try to fill in the "term in school" requirement, it will only let me select High School, Post-baccalaureate, or Graduate (any undergraduate level is not an option that I can select). Do I just say it was a post-bac even though I was still in? @gonnif

Thanks!
It sounds like a date for your primary UG is incorrect. Double check dates. Summer berween junior senior is part of senior term. Its not postbacc

What would you guys classify these classes as?
1. Archaeology of Rome
2. Biology of sports medicine

What would you guys classify these classes as?
1. Archaeology of Rome
2. Biology of sports medicine

Archaeolgy would be history/social science (your are studying artifacts of ancient culture)

If your biology of sports medicine covers topics of how things work on a basic anatomical, physiological, cellular, or biochemical nature, that is biological basis, then its Bio.

You enter the verification queue once your app is submitted AND transcripts are in. You just entered, and it can take weeks, so right now patience is your friend. You will be notified when processing is complete, both by a status change on AMCAS and email, usually.

Rule 1: take a breath.

Verification can take 2-6 weeks
Secondaries can take 4-8 weeks with turnaround
Interviews can be strung out from September to March
Waitlists are still highly active thru next June

So I know we are supposed to put "And lab" after a course title if it was a lecture and lab component.
But what if the class was just a lab? Should I add "and lab" after the course title?
It was a pathology class but only in lab and on lab techniques.

So I know we are supposed to put "And lab" after a course title if it was a lecture and lab component.
But what if the class was just a lab? Should I add "and lab" after the course title?
It was a pathology class but only in lab and on lab techniques.

It doesnt matter to GPA and just is a notation to schools. I would put "(lab only)"

Last edited:
I'm confused
So since it was a lab class it won't matter to the GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
My point was that listing lab or not lab wont impact it being classified BCPM or AO
Depends on how your school does its credits.
For mine, if you do not write the title correctly (including '&lab') there is a very real chance that you will not be given the appropriate Semester Hours.

If your school credit hours are essentially analogous to Semester Hours, it matters less.

Depends on how your school does its credits.
For mine, if you do not write the title correctly (including '&lab') there is a very real chance that you will not be given the appropriate Semester Hours.

If your school credit hours are essentially analogous to Semester Hours, it matters less.

2 different issues here. OP had a class that was a lab only course and how to note that (not a lab part of a another course). So It shouldnt be a credit issue. My point was the course, lab or no lab, was BCPM and wouldn't change that.

Submitted on 6/2 -- still not verified.. anyone else in the same boat?

Reactions: 1 users
I have a lab-related question: if I had a class with a lab component but didn't receive any extra credit hours for the lab component (i.e. received 3 credits for the class rather than 4), should I still classify it as combined lecture + lab? The class actually already has "and lab" in its title.

Last edited:
About how long did it for your mailed transcripts to be received? I had two schools mail them out 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard back from AMCAS. Not sure if I should request another transcript to be mailed out or not.

I requested two different transcripts from two different states (though both on the east coast) on the same day, and they were both processed by AMCAS 10 days after I requested them. According to the AMCAS email I got, it took them 3 days to process after they were received.

I have a lab-related question: if I had a class with a lab component but didn't receive any extra credit hours for the lab component (i.e. received 3 credits for the class rather than 4), should I still classify it as combined lecture + lab? The class actually already has "and lab" in its title.
I would still classify it as lecture and lab.

Hey guys, I have a question for everyone. I was looking over my amcas calculated scores and went through my freshman -> senior year BCPM gpa to make sure it was accurate. For example:

F: 3.00
S: 3.82
J: 4.00
S: 4.00

I made sure these numbers were accurate, but when calculating my total I just added up the gpas of each year and divided by 4 to get 3.705. But amcas calculated my score as 3.69. Am I being dumb and not calculating it right? Is there a different way I should be calculating it? :confused:

Its not calculated as an average of each of the 4 years then divided by 4. It is calculated the total "quality-GPA points" divided by "total credits". Adcoms will see it both ways as a year by year as you have above and by a total as the formula I listed. It is done by these two methods to see if there is any major trending.
see https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181676/data/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

Submitted on 6/2 -- still not verified.. anyone else in the same boat?

Rule 1: Take A Breath

Verification can take 2-6 weeks; it is not a linear process for all
secondaries can take 1 -2 months with turn around
interview invites can span several months
interviews may still take place next February and March
final acceptances choices dont happen until up to May 15th
waitlists are still very active thru mid June with some going on until August

There is a very long haul, so take a breath

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I have a question for everyone. I was looking over my amcas calculated scores and went through my freshman -> senior year BCPM gpa to make sure it was accurate. For example:

F: 3.00
S: 3.82
J: 4.00
S: 4.00

I made sure these numbers were accurate, but when calculating my total I just added up the gpas of each year and divided by 4 to get 3.705. But amcas calculated my score as 3.69. Am I being dumb and not calculating it right? Is there a different way I should be calculating it? :confused:
You're doing it wrong. The total GPA is total courses divided by total credits. You would have to multiple each years' GPA by the number of course credits in that year, add up those sums, and divide by the total number of credits. That's how averages work.

Does anyone know if AMCAS gives formal responses to Academic Change Requests? Like an email with "we accept/deny" ?

They re-verified my app a day after a submitted the request, but did not make any changes.. Not sure what to think

Does anyone know if AMCAS gives formal responses to Academic Change Requests? Like an email with "we accept/deny" ?

They re-verified my app a day after a submitted the request, but did not make any changes.. Not sure what to think
That means no.

My transcript for undergrad lists both contact hours and credits, which one do I put on AMCAS? Thanks!

My transcript for undergrad lists both contact hours and credits, which one do I put on AMCAS? Thanks!
AMCAS wants "credit hours." So probably what you're calling "contact hours" now.

AMCAS wants "credit hours." So probably what you're calling "contact hours" now.
Hmm, the reason that I'm confused is that the contact hours have never been calculated in the amount of credits I have taken

So for example, my final semester I took:
Genetics: Both 3.0 contact hours and credits
Orgo lecture: 4.0 contact hours but 3 credits
Orgo lab: 4.0 contact hours but 2 credits
Biochem with lab: 7.0 contact hours but 5 credits

The total credits earned that semester were 13, and not 18

Then put 13 if that's what counts. Self judgment is the best, man. We don't know your school

I found the answer to this question in other threads, but I just want to make sure:

I can submit my primary application with only ~10 schools on my list and keep adding more schools until July 1st and all the schools will see my application as being turned in on July 1st, correct? Timing doesn't make a difference so long as I turn it in before July 1st?

I found the answer to this question in other threads, but I just want to make sure:

I can submit my primary application with only ~10 schools on my list and keep adding more schools until July 1st and all the schools will see my application as being turned in on July 1st, correct? Timing doesn't make a difference so long as I turn it in before July 1st?
Yes

Hi everyone! Is there any lag or turnaround time between when we designate letters to be sent and when they are sent (ie, is there a verification process for LORs?). AMCAS sent me an email asking me to designate my letters, but I want to wait until they all have been uploaded in case I have one or two stragglers who don't upload before July 2. If I designate, say, July 1, will they all be sent on July 2 with no problem?

Thanks!

Hi everyone! Is there any lag or turnaround time between when we designate letters to be sent and when they are sent (ie, is there a verification process for LORs?). AMCAS sent me an email asking me to designate my letters, but I want to wait until they all have been uploaded in case I have one or two stragglers who don't upload before July 2. If I designate, say, July 1, will they all be sent on July 2 with no problem?

Thanks!
There's no verification for letters but you also don't need them until your secondary is in.

Does anyone know if I can replace a school on my AMCAS with another one without paying?

Hey guys is it possible to get secondaries before submitting the required number of LOR for the school? or do i have to turn in all my LOR before the school sends me secondaries? Thank you

For secondary character limits, do they include characters or not?

Also, how can I tell if my hometown is technically rural? It is under one definition, but it isn't under another. Will they fix this during verification?

Not sure if anyone answered this already.. But I just googled my town's population and matched that with the category listing that population. For example, I think mine was suburban bc my pop was ~75k. What were the definitions listed for rural?

One of my letter writers says he'll send it in in about mid-July or so (I asked him if he could get it down to first 10 days July, probably can push him a little earlier). Will this be a huge issue?

Last edited:
It's been almost 2.5 weeks and still haven't received my transcript. Should I send it again? Might be a busy time I guess

One of my letter writers says he'll send it in in about mid-July or so (I asked him if he could get it down to first 10 days July, probably can push him a little earlier). Will this be a huge issue?
Not an issue at all. Mid July is about as early as your earliest secondary submissions will be...And even then, that's assuming you're ON TOP of things

It's been almost 2.5 weeks and still haven't received my transcript. Should I send it again? Might be a busy time I guess

I am in the same boat as you, but I decided to go to my institution today to go check if there was any problem. I found out that the transcript was mailed to my home address instead of AMCAS. Don't know how in the world this will happen. On the bright side, I don't have to fanatically check my email or AMCAS website anymore because that transcript isn't coming. LOL. I told them to send another one and this time I made sure they mailed it in my presence.

Questions for you experts on the quarter system:

How did you all list all 4 quarters? I see 1st (Fall), 2nd (winter), 3rd (spring),but no 4th quarter. However, on the drop down list, I do see "summer" as an option appearing before 1st quarter. So do I list 4th quarter stuff as summer quarter??

Thanks guys

How would you list thesis research work (in a lab):
Lecture?
Lab?
Lecture and lab?

How would you list thesis research work (in a lab):
Lecture?
Lab?
Lecture and lab?
Depends on your school. We were told to list it as 'lecture only', which was annoying because it made it worth far fewer credits even though it took way more time.

Would there be any disadvantages to checking "decline to answer" on the income question? I'm not disadvantaged at all and my parents are both educated. I just don't want them to see the actual number, it's not any of their business. I feel like it shifts the focus of the application from me to my parents.

Quick question:

I took 2 courses from a community college, but these courses also show up on my transcript from undergraduate university as well as transfer courses

Do I need to list them on my undergraduate transcript as well when inputting grades in, since they are already listed on my CC transcript?

Quick question:

I took 2 courses from a community college, but these courses also show up on my transcript from undergraduate university as well as transfer courses

Do I need to list them on my undergraduate transcript as well when inputting grades in, since they are already listed on my CC transcript?

You don't need to list them under your undergraduate section, but they need to be on the CC section.

For foreign credits transferred to an American school, my school did not post any grade, not even P/F, just amount of earned credits.
Should I put P for grade? Or should I just leave the grade blank?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.