*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Letter of Rec Question: Schools I am applying ask for 3 letters....up to 6,10,etc.

I have three letters that are my strongest ones...I want those to be the main 3...then the rest are just fillers (good letters but very one dimensional). Can you choose to send three to a school....then sometime later, add the rest or once you choose 3 out of the total letters uploaded, you cannot add the others?

Members don't see this ad.

Any idea what time today they will be submitted to schools for those already processed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Letter of Rec Question: Schools I am applying ask for 3 letters....up to 6,10,etc.

I have three letters that are my strongest ones...I want those to be the main 3...then the rest are just fillers (good letters but very one dimensional). Can you choose to send three to a school....then sometime later, add the rest or once you choose 3 out of the total letters uploaded, you cannot add the others?
Send what you're going to send, and that's it. Don't slow play admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea what time today they will be submitted to schools for those already processed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They announced it on twitter. I bet the med schools have them now. Plus, people are starting to receive secondaries.

sorry this may be a dumb question but where do you start receiving secondaries? Email or AMCAS?

question:
So I did an SMP program and entered in the grades. But in my final pdf copy of my AMCAS, the SMP grades show up before my college grades. Is that alright? I wasn't concerned until an advisor pointed that out and said they should show up after my college grades.

Thank you.

question:
So I did an SMP program and entered in the grades. But in my final pdf copy of my AMCAS, the SMP grades show up before my college grades. Is that alright? I wasn't concerned until an advisor pointed that out and said they should show up after my college grades.

Thank you.
It's cool.

That true for all, or do we have to check portals for some?
AMCAS portal is done with. The schools will email you, and you'll create a application account with their school site. After, then they may update you only on school site, but most do email also.

Hi, I have a question about AP courses and listing classes as repeats.

My transcript shows that I received credit for AP Bio, and I subsequently took the school's normal biology sequence (Bio 1B and 1A/1AL) to satisfy my pre-med prerequisites. For the AMCAS application, do I need to list any of those courses as repeats? I'm wondering because the AMCAS instruction manual states:

"If you take a college level course for which you already have been granted AP credit by the same institution, this course is considered a Repeat. For example, if you received AP credit for your AP Psychology course and took an Introduction to Psychology course at the same undergraduate institution, you should list Introduction to Psychology as a Repeat." (p 44)

However, my undegrad institution and medical schools recommend taking all of the prerequisites at the college level, so I'm not sure whether I should list the courses as repeats.

Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Hi, I have a question about AP courses and listing classes as repeats.

My transcript shows that I received credit for AP Bio upon entering UC Berkeley, and I subsequently took the school's normal biology sequence (Bio 1B and 1A/1AL) to satisfy my pre-med prerequisites. For the AMCAS application, do I need to list any of those courses as repeats? I'm wondering because the AMCAS instruction manual states:

"If you take a college level course for which you already have been granted AP credit by the same institution, this course is considered a Repeat. For example, if you received AP credit for your AP Psychology course and took an Introduction to Psychology course at the same undergraduate institution, you should list Introduction to Psychology as a Repeat." (p 44)

However, my undegrad institution and medical schools recommend taking all of the prerequisites at the college level, so I'm not sure whether I should list the courses as repeats.

Thanks so much.
You quoted the exact passage which describes your situation to a T and instructs you to list as repeats.

The repeat designation doesn't really change anything - each grade still factors into gpa. In this case there is a clear and obvious motivation for retaking aside from grades, so I imagine you'll be good. I think your confusion here is coming because you are thinking of the repeat designation by itself as some red flag, which contradicts the advice you've been given. It's not, really, it's just a description of the situation.

The instructions are super clear on this one, so you should follow them. Whether or not it was a good decision, or one that med schools would recommend is, frankly, irrelevant.

You quoted the exact passage which describes your situation to a T and instructs you to list as repeats.

The repeat designation doesn't really change anything - each grade still factors into gpa. In this case there is a clear and obvious motivation for retaking aside from grades, so I imagine you'll be good. I think your confusion here is coming because you are thinking of the repeat designation by itself as some red flag, which contradicts the advice you've been given. It's not, really, it's just a description of the situation.

The instructions are super clear on this one, so you should follow them. Whether or not it was a good decision, or one that med schools would recommend is, frankly, irrelevant.

Thanks.

My confusion also stems from:

1) The fact that it seems as though for some schools, AP credit is listed on the transcript as satisfying a specific course requirement (e.g. passing AP Calc is listed as credit for Math 1A) whereas my transcript just lists semester credits for "Advanced Placement Exam -- Biology"; and

2) That the AP Bio class could potentially be used for Bio 1A/1AL and/or Bio 1B, but none of these potential issues are discussed in the AMCAS materials or elsewhere, from what I can tell.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.

My confusion also stems from:

1) The fact that it seems as though for some schools, AP credit is listed on the transcript as satisfying a specific course requirement (e.g. passing AP Calc is listed as credit for Math 1A) whereas my transcript just lists semester credits for "Advanced Placement Exam -- Biology"; and

2) That the AP Bio class could potentially be used for UCB's Bio 1A/1AL and/or Bio 1B, but none of these potential issues are discussed in the AMCAS materials or elsewhere, from what I can tell.

Thanks for your time.
Some schools don't accept AP credits for prerequisites. This is even more reason why marking 'repeat' and choosing to retake that course while actually in college would not be an issue.

I'd mark 'repeat' for whichever course you had the option to skip due to your AP score.

Send what you're going to send, and that's it. Don't slow play admissions.

Thanks! I didn't know if they review all six for sure, or just look at the first 3 and "maybe" read the rest. I'm also waiting on one letter :( But want to turn in the other 5 asap. sigh.

Why do I get secondaries if my AMCAS is still verification pending? o_O

Thanks! I didn't know if they review all six for sure, or just look at the first 3 and "maybe" read the rest. I'm also waiting on one letter :( But want to turn in the other 5 asap. sigh.
K. The letters are due with the secondaries, but if you think the last letter won't be in by the time you submit your secondaries: you could send the five. Later, yes, I'm sure you can submit a sixth (but, do this only if you think this last letter is great). AMCAS electronically updates the schools, so you just have to select the letter and the schools on AMCAS.

There may be a problem if you have indicated to medical schools your six writers. If they are sitting there waiting for the sixth, they may not act on your application. But, maybe you can take the sixth off AMCAS, until it is ready to be submitted.

Reactions: 1 user
I've submitted 5 secondaries at this point, and my AMCAS is verified with all my letters (packet) marked as received. However, none of the schools I've submitted my secondaries to have record of my LORs. Should I be worried, or just wait a while for them to catch up with what AMCAS?

Can you add (as in, designate) additional LoRs on AMCAS after you submit the secondary for a school?

For example, let's say I have 3 LoRs received by AMCAS. For a school that only requires 3 letters, this is enough and I submit the secondary (and designate the 3 LoRs for this school).

However, if I get a fourth LoR, can I designate it for the school after I have already submitted the secondary?

K. The letters are due with the secondaries, but if you think the last letter won't be in by the time you submit your secondaries: you could send the five. Later, yes, I'm sure you can submit a sixth (but, do this only if you think this last letter is great). AMCAS electronically updates the schools, so you just have to select the letter and the schools on AMCAS.

There may be a problem if you have indicated to medical schools your six writers. If they are sitting there waiting for the sixth, they may not act on your application. But, maybe you can take the sixth off AMCAS, until it is ready to be submitted.

I think I will do that! just turn in 5...and then have a serious one-on-one with my PI once he's back from sabbatical and tell him this letter better blow their minds buddy!! I mean business! :p

Any thoughts on how to classify this biological anthropology course? The course description is below:

"This course examines human anatomy and behavioral biology within an evolutionary context. It includes an introduction to: the history of evolutionary thought from before Darwin to the present; basic human genetics and molecular biology; human variation and adaptation; evolutionary influences on behavior; the anatomy, ecology, and behavior of our closest living relatives, the nonhuman primates; and the evolution of our lineage as reflected in the hominid fossil record. We will pay special attention to the complex interrelations of biology, behavior, and culture and the challenges of studying these interactions. There will be three hours of lecture and one hour of lab/discussion per week."

Question guys, if you did TMDSAS did you use same PS for AMCAS?

Any thoughts on how to classify this biological anthropology course? The course description is below:

"This course examines human anatomy and behavioral biology within an evolutionary context. It includes an introduction to: the history of evolutionary thought from before Darwin to the present; basic human genetics and molecular biology; human variation and adaptation; evolutionary influences on behavior; the anatomy, ecology, and behavior of our closest living relatives, the nonhuman primates; and the evolution of our lineage as reflected in the hominid fossil record. We will pay special attention to the complex interrelations of biology, behavior, and culture and the challenges of studying these interactions. There will be three hours of lecture and one hour of lab/discussion per week."
Which department taught the course?

Anthropology. I'm planning to list it as Behavioral/social science.
That sounds like a good idea. On courses like that one which can go either way, it's probably best to lean toward the department that offered it.

I've submitted 5 secondaries at this point, and my AMCAS is verified with all my letters (packet) marked as received. However, none of the schools I've submitted my secondaries to have record of my LORs. Should I be worried, or just wait a while for them to catch up with what AMCAS?

+1

I think they have to pull your letters separate from receiving your actual primary application. Thus, I think they have access to your letters, but they haven't pulled them from the AMCAS and updated their system yet. Give it some time before getting worried.

Hello everyone!!

I have a question about an error made in the coursework section of my AMCAS, which I submitted July 2nd and it was marked "ready for review". For one of my courses, I entered the wrong grade. Does this mean my AMCAS will be returned to me, and delay my application process or will AMCAS simply correct it and put an X next to the course?

I can't find a clear answer on this..

THANK YOU!

Hello everyone!!

I have a question about an error made in the coursework section of my AMCAS, which I submitted July 2nd and it was marked "ready for review". For one of my courses, I entered the wrong grade. Does this mean my AMCAS will be returned to me, and delay my application process or will AMCAS simply correct it and put an X next to the course?

I can't find a clear answer on this..

THANK YOU!
They will almost always correct it for you if there's just a few minor errors. If this is the only error you made, they will almost certainly fix it for you. Don't worry!

They will almost always correct it for you if there's just a few minor errors. If this is the only error you made, they will almost certainly fix it for you. Don't worry!

Thank you!! I feel better! Happy 4th of July!

I have a question regarding to official name. I am currently in the process of becoming an American citizen, and will be changing my name. Though I am quite unsure when I will receive the official notice, should I put it as my official name or as my alternative names? Thanks in advance!

I have a question regarding to official name. I am currently in the process of becoming an American citizen, and will be changing my name. Though I am quite unsure when I will receive the official notice, should I put it as my official name or as my alternative names? Thanks in advance!
I am not 100% sure, but I would put your official name as whatever your legal name is at the time you submit the application. Put the name you're changing to in alternative names. If you become a citizen and your name changes in the middle of the process, you can notify the schools you applied to about what has happened.

Okay. So feel free to tell me I'm an idiot, I know. I submitted a few days ago. Late thirties. Finishing undergrad. Balanced 35 on first try. 3.97gpa lots of shadowing, volunteering, research, etc. worked ten years in a clinical setting. I left out a transcript from 1995-1996. About 35hrs 0.9 gpa. Some W's. I was immature/cocky and alcohol/frat life killed me. I was just going to withdraw my app based on my decision to lie. Just don't want this to hang over my head forever. Never filled out fasfa back in 95 so will only show up through clearinghouse. Can I come clean, contact AMCAS and add it or am I just best off withdrawing app. I am starting AAcomas and will include all transcripts. Really only interested in primary care and was going to apply DO before doing really well on MCAT. Not sure why I did this but it has totally been messing up my head.

Okay. So feel free to tell me I'm an idiot, I know. I submitted a few days ago. Late thirties. Finishing undergrad. Balanced 35 on first try. 3.97gpa lots of shadowing, volunteering, research, etc. worked ten years in a clinical setting. I left out a transcript from 1995-1996. About 35hrs 0.9 gpa. Some W's. I was immature/cocky and alcohol/frat life killed me. I was just going to withdraw my app based on my decision to lie. Just don't want this to hang over my head forever. Never filled out fasfa back in 95 so will only show up through clearinghouse. Can I come clean, contact AMCAS and add it or am I just best off withdrawing app. I am starting AAcomas and will include all transcripts. Really only interested in primary care and was going to apply DO before doing really well on MCAT. Not sure why I did this but it has totally been messing up my head.
You can't add courses after you submit. You have to withdraw. And I would strongly recommend that you do. The AMCAS requires that you disclose all courses taken and provide transcripts. If you don't and they find out, you're in tons of hot water. Additionally, when you submit, you agree that you have followed all the rules. If you know that you haven't and you don't withdraw, that is very dishonest. I know that you are planning to withdraw, so I am certainly not calling you dishonest, I am just providing even more reason why you absolutely should do as you plan to and withdraw.

I am not 100% sure, but I would put your official name as whatever your legal name is at the time you submit the application. Put the name you're changing to in alternative names. If you become a citizen and your name changes in the middle of the process, you can notify the schools you applied to about what has happened.

Thanks nwts! I will do that.

Hi I was wondering if you have a submitted but unverified primary application do schools still receive your application now and can send back secondaries or do they need to wait for the application to be verified?

Ugh, I have a LOR from a work supervisor and I accidentally mistyped their email address! The base name is correct, but their email is supposed to be @yahoo.com and I accidentally put my school domain name! Should I email all the schools letting them know what the correct email address is?

Hey guys,

I submitted my AMCAS application a couple of days ago, and I've taken every pre-req/listed it on my AMCAS app except for biology lab and biochemistry. I will be taking both of these courses my senior year as part of my major (biosciences), but I forgot to list them on AMCAS.

What should I do at this point? Do I need to update every medical school I apply to and let them know that yes, I'm actually taking these pre-reqs before I graduate? Should I just assume they know I'll be taking those pre-reqs? I would really appreciate your input!

If I list a Texas address as my permanent address, will that harm my chances at schools in other states? I'm in a weird position where I'm iffy on my TX residency but I don't qualify for residency of the state I'm in either. I'm doing all I can on my TMDSAS app to emphasize my TX roots, but would emphasizing them hurt me on AMCAS? Does AMCAS and TMDSAS share this kind of information?

My AMCAS application isn't verified yet but I got an email from one school that says application from AMCAS received. How can this be?!

Does anyone know how to remove an MCAT date after your application has already been verified? I took the MCAT in April and took it again in June, but voided it. I have the June date input in AMCAS as of now, but I can't seem to figure out how to remove it.

Hey guys, does it cost more to add a school after verification?

Hey everyone,

My PI hasn't finished my LOR yet and I am freaking out since I have submitted a few secondaries but they won't be touched until his letter is finished. I haven't assigned my LORs yet for other schools, can I just add his LOR to schools after my secondaries are complete??

I'm a dumby--deleting my thread and posting here: Does anyone know if AMCAS text fields support non-English characters? I have a Japanese expression in my personal statement and it just so much more badass in kanji. I'm sorry if this has been answered previously, not having any luck finding an answer with searches.

Hey everyone,

My PI hasn't finished my LOR yet and I am freaking out since I have submitted a few secondaries but they won't be touched until his letter is finished. I haven't assigned my LORs yet for other schools, can I just add his LOR to schools after my secondaries are complete??

Be careful. Some schools will mark you as complete and close your app once they receive all letters. Example GW

So I submitted my primary with everything except the letters of rec. I'm now getting secondaries and finishing them. My letter author uploaded the LOR packet to AMCAS last week. How does getting the LOR to my medical schools work? Does it happen automatically with a delay? Or do I need to call AMCAS to send them in?

So just as I was filling out a secondary application, I noticed that there is an error on my primary application regarding the number of a course. Instead of "360", I incorrectly typed it as "351". Amcas did not catch this error during the verification process. What do I do about this, if anything? Should I call them? Will this put any kind of hold on my application?

can interviews be held as early as august? just not sure to plan a week away then or not

Status
Not open for further replies.