*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two questions:
1. My school accepted transfer credits from a different institution which I have the documentation of that transcript from that specific school, but my school transfers in the course as the course it would be equivalent to here. For example: my home institution has "CHEM-XXX Quantitative Analysis" but on the other institutions transcript it states "CHEM-XXX Gen Chem 2" how would I list this on my home transcript considering I have the credits but no grade?

2. Also, we have two requirements for graduation, math proficiency and language exemption which both are on my transcript. Should I still list them in AMCAS?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone use the AMCAS gpa calculator excel sheet? I have a withdrawn class that the calculator takes into account and reduces my gpa by a little. Should I just not include it on there for the excel sheet? I'm assuming amcas would remove it completely since I'll be checking the withdrawal button when filling in the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

just wondering, My school only sums up the AP credit, but it doesn't mention what classes I received Credit. Should I still list off all of the classes for which I received AP Credit or leave it blank?

I know I'm starting late, but I'm trying to finish by the end of the month.

As far as AP credit is concerned, I have credit that shows up on 2 different unofficial transcripts from my CC (dual enroll) and university. To my understanding, I only need to put the courses in once, and I was thinking of putting them into my university first fall semester as I have other AP credits that only went to my uni. My question now is that I dual enrolled in orgo at my CC while in high school since I had AP Chemistry credit. So according to the instructions, it would look like I took orgo in high school and gen chem my freshmen year. Would it be easiest/ok to just put all AP in my uni's freshmen year, and orgo, along with my other CC classes, into high school?

Also, my CC gave me 2 1 credit lab courses for gen chem, while my uni gave 1 1 credit lab (according to the chemistry adviser, the 1 credit 1 semester lab they offer is just as good as the 2 semester labs, and they write letters and stuff to explain to other programs). So for AP, should I only put down the uni's chemistry lab?

Finally, as far as whether I'm sophomore, junior, etc, should I just do it by academic year? I've been in uni for 2.5 years, counting summer, so would I do the first fall and spring as sophomore, then summer-spring as junior, then last summer-fall as senior? The 30 credit bracket idea doesn't look too smooth with my courses, as I could've graduated in 1.5 years instead, but I took an extra year to not kill myself, so my senior year is more or less about 1.5 years long, taking only 1 or 2 required classes a semester, the rest electives.

Letters are not verified by AMCAS ; they are simply forwarded as directed to individuals as requested. Letters are transmitted separate from application transmission and will be transmitted via ongoing basis post-AMCAS application transmission
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/148166/amcas_2010_faqs-17.14.html

When does my letter information have to be complete in the AMCAS application? Does it have to be complete before I can submit?
You may assign your letters before and/or after you submit your application. Letters do not have to be assigned to the letter entries in your AMCAS application before you can submit, although you have the option to add this information before submitting. Please note that after you submit your application, you can add letter entries, but you cannot delete or change existing letter entries.

Will all my letters be sent to the medical school at the same time?
AMCAS does not "hold" letters until all are received. Any of your letters that arrive at AMCAS while your application is being processed will be sent to your designated medical schools along with your application once your application has been processed. Letters that get to AMCAS after your application has been processed will be made available to your designated schools as soon as they are received.

gonnif, I have a follow-up question. I am a TX resident so I have also applied through TMDSAS. TMDSAS verifies that your letters adhere to the required standards (that they are on letterhead, signed, and legible) and sends a message if the letter has an issue. Does AMCAS do this, as well? I didn't see this answered in the AAMC FAQs. I am using more letters in AMCAS than in TMDSAS. If an AMCAS-only letter is not considered official for some reason, does AMCAS let you know before they upload the letter to your app? Or do they check this when they do the app verification?

Thank you for your help!

gonnif, I have a follow-up question. I am a TX resident so I have also applied through TMDSAS. TMDSAS verifies that your letters adhere to the required standards (that they are on letterhead, signed, and legible) and sends a message if the letter has an issue. Does AMCAS do this, as well? I didn't see this answered in the AAMC FAQs. I am using more letters in AMCAS than in TMDSAS. If an AMCAS-only letter is not considered official for some reason, does AMCAS let you know before they upload the letter to your app? Or do they check this when they do the app verification?

Thank you for your help!

No, only if there some "blatant" issue with a letter going thru AMCAS. They dont do verification like TMDSAS which runs a match for the schools

However, the letters should be at the same standards for the individual schools. Certainly, any letter from faculty should be on letterhead

No, only if there some "blatant" issue with a letter going thru AMCAS. They dont do verification like TMDSAS which runs a match for the schools

However, the letters should be at the same standards for the individual schools. Certainly, any letter from faculty should be on letterhead

Thank you! Yes, of course, I double checked that the AMCAS-only letters are on letterhead and signed. I wondered more about legibility, in the day of photo-to-scanned-PDF phone apps. Applicants would never know if a letter wasn't legible, which is a bit worrisome.

Thank you! Yes, of course, I double checked that the AMCAS-only letters are on letterhead and signed. I wondered more about legibility, in the day of photo-to-scanned-PDF phone apps. Applicants would never know if a letter wasn't legible, which is a bit worrisome.

I have letterhead as part of my email, word docs, etc. I am not sure anyone actually scans a piece of ...whats that stuff... oh yeah paper anymore

I have letterhead as part of my email, word docs, etc. I am not sure anyone actually scans a piece of ...whats that stuff... oh yeah paper anymore

:p True, I doubt I have any scanned letters. Seems like everything is done electronically these days. I do have one "old school" evaluator who is not faculty, but I guess there's no reason to worry about things I can't control. I assume if it were outright illegible, some school would let me know rather than ignoring the letter altogether.

Bleh. I'm a bit anxious about my transcripts making it to AMCAS. I had one school send one out "express" last Monday and it still hasn't arrived.

When do I need to start worrying?

@medic86

For reference:

I had a transcript that was processed yesterday, 5/19, by AMCAS.

I placed my order for standard delivery on 5/5 and it was sent by regular mail on 5/11 (also last Monday).

@medic86

For reference:

I had a transcript that was processed yesterday, 5/19, by AMCAS.

I placed my order for standard delivery on 5/5 and it was sent by regular mail on 5/11 (also last Monday).
8 days? Crap...I was assuming they'd all be processed quickly like my first, which was processed within 4-5d of the mailing date

Members don't see this ad :)
@mehc012

My first ones were sent right away and processed fast. I assume this example letter arrived at AMCAS by Friday 5/15. That means just two business of sitting there, which is not so bad. I am more interested in how my final transcript with Spring grades will fare, it was not sent until yesterday, 5/19.

I wish all of my schools sent it electronically - so much easier.

@mehc012

My first ones were sent right away and processed fast. I assume this example letter arrived at AMCAS by Friday 5/15. That means just two business of sitting there, which is not so bad. I am more interested in how my final transcript with Spring grades will fare, it was not sent until yesterday, 5/19.

I wish all of my schools sent it electronically - so much easier.
Mine won't be sent for another 2d at least :/
So much for rushing to be done by submission day

@mehc012

I think we will both still be verified before transmission date.

@mehc012

I think we will both still be verified before transmission date.
Hope so. It's funny, because I'm being neurotic about this, but I have yet to finalize my PS or write my Most Meaningfuls, lolol.

I'm glad I waited for Spring grades, though...I know these labs are only 1 credit each, but having 10 separate grades on there looks better for my reinvention (especially since one of them came in as an A+, so my postbacc is now 8 As and 2 A+s!)

Reactions: 1 user
Hope so. It's funny, because I'm being neurotic about this, but I have yet to finalize my PS or write my Most Meaningfuls, lolol.

I'm glad I waited for Spring grades, though...I know these labs are only 1 credit each, but having 10 separate grades on there looks better for my reinvention (especially since one of them came in as an A+, so my postbacc is now 8 As and 2 A+s!)

Better get working!

I am thinking all of my stuff should be in right on time to hit submit.

One can hope.

Letter of rec question, Can schools see your letter title?

So if I were to classify these as engineering courses and (thus not as bcpm) then would they not be "allowed" to be considered completed pre req courses (I.e. Engineering chemistry counted as my
First semester of chemistry)? And would schools then consider me as having not finished their pre req course requirements because I did not include them in my bcpm gpa? I realize this is pretty ridiculous semantics to even be delving into...

Two different things:

1) AMCAS is only concerned only with verifying the transcript and course classification (BCPM) for purposes of GPA calculation. They have no part in determining prerequisite. AMCAS is final decision maker of course classification which based on content and the description of the your college course catalog. If you have an Engineering Chemistry marked as Engineering they could change it to Chemistry and thus BCPM

2) Each individual school makes the determination if a course fulfills its prerequisites. So it is possible a specific school may have an issue with it not being a "general" chemistry course. Additionally, it is possible a school could have an issue that it wasnt part of BCPM. I consider both these scenarios unlikely.

3) prerequisites are not checked for fulfillment during admissions but rather after you have taken an offer of acceptance during pre-matriculation. At that point, if there is any issue you can discuss, request a waiver, etc. Each school sets its own policy and level of "strictness" to that policy. Some easy about things, some are sticklers

Not sure what you mean, please expand...
They ask you to give a title to each LOR you submit, preferably one which helps you identify it from your other letters so that you can assign them accurately.

To the poster:
AMCAS Instructions p60 said:
 Enter a Letter Title (optional). The Letter Title will help you identify a particular entry if you come back to this section later. This title is visible to medical schools.

In the off chance you mean the Interfolio title, I think the answer is no.

What is the consensus for including research courses (i.e. if your school gives you a letter-graded "course" for working in a lab) in the science GPA? I've seen threads on this, but have not seen anything addressing students who have several semesters' worth of these classes. They are listed on the transcripts as a class within a life science department, so I think they can be included, but my question is should I include them in calculating the science GPA? In other words, is it better to report a lower science GPA and not include them? Would admissions committees view multiple semesters' worth of these courses being included as unfavorable?

EDIT: I think I've answered my own question. It looks like if it's on your transcript, you have to report it to AMCAS, and it will automatically be included in their GPA calculations. Some schools may re-calculate GPA and not include research courses, but that would vary by school.
Threads:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/research-credit-to-boost-bcpm-worth-it.1070077/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/research-credit-in-my-gpa.1094774/

Last edited:
What is the consensus for including research courses (i.e. if your school gives you a letter-graded "course" for working in a lab) in the science GPA? I've seen threads on this, but have not seen anything addressing students who have several semesters' worth of these classes. They are listed on the transcripts as a class within a life science department, so I think they can be included, but my question is should I include them in calculating the science GPA? In other words, is it better to report a lower science GPA and not include them? Would admissions committees view multiple semesters' worth of these courses being included as unfavorable?

EDIT: I think I've answered my own question. It looks like if it's on your transcript, you have to report it to AMCAS, and it will automatically be included in their GPA calculations. Some schools may re-calculate GPA and not include research courses, but that would vary by school.
Threads:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/research-credit-to-boost-bcpm-worth-it.1070077/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/research-credit-in-my-gpa.1094774/

Yup! Most schools dont go thru a secondary recalculation on GPA

LOR question: Most schools require 2 LOR from science professors. I have met this requirement. However, both of those professors know me more outside of the classroom that they taught me in. They are my PI and Advisor as well. We are using VE collect, and I selected that they were both my instructors in science, but should I explicitly tell them to write from the instructor standpoint in addition to the other relationships we have? Thanks everyone.

Hi everyone! I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I received AP credit equal to 1 year of college and so I graduated with Bachelor's in 3 years. So according to the PDF, I put APs in Freshman (FR) and the in-person classes in Freshman (FR), Sophomore (SO), and Senior (SR). This will make FR have almost 60 credits, but this is okay. It says right after "your AMCAS GPAs will reflect your “true” first year in college; in these cases AMCAS will not change the academic status." Could someone clarify what it means by "not change the academic status"? Thanks!

LOR question: Most schools require 2 LOR from science professors. I have met this requirement. However, both of those professors know me more outside of the classroom that they taught me in. They are my PI and Advisor as well. We are using VE collect, and I selected that they were both my instructors in science, but should I explicitly tell them to write from the instructor standpoint in addition to the other relationships we have? Thanks everyone.

Rule 1: Take a Breath!

Depends, some schools specifically for 2 science professors who have taught you in a classroom setting. Others ask for 2 science faculty. However, the PI and Advisor will likely be fine. Just let them write without the suggestion above. It would seem ironic to ask something vaguely unethical to help you enter a profession where ethics are highly valued

One of them showed up today.

Waiting on one more. Strangely, the one I'm waiting on is the first one I sent... and I had it sent "express".

Either it's lost, or I paid extra money for nothing. :p

I hope you don't mind some unsolicited advice, but AMCAS had a Q&A on Twitter today and someone else had this same issue (transcripts sent but did not arrive in a timely manner). AMCAS said that if it has been 2 weeks since the registrar sent the transcript, you can send a second copy and there won't be any confusion. I think especially if you paid for express shipping, if it has been 2 weeks I would ask the school to resend using the same method (at their cost, but they might not swing for that).

The person who asked this question on Twitter also asked a follow-up question about whether they should email AMCAS to let them know a second copy was coming. I didn't see an answer to that earlier, but it may have been answered by now.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but does it make a difference whether you submit your application the first couple of days versus the second week that it is open? Assuming that your transcripts have already been sent by your school. I know that applications don't get sent to schools until July and that there's a process of verification that takes a while after submission.

I know the general rule is the earlier the better, but from what I've read it seems that there's a certain period of time at the beginning where all apps received would be reviewed equally (stats/content of apps side of course).

I hope you don't mind some unsolicited advice, but AMCAS had a Q&A on Twitter today and someone else had this same issue (transcripts sent but did not arrive in a timely manner). AMCAS said that if it has been 2 weeks since the registrar sent the transcript, you can send a second copy and there won't be any confusion. I think especially if you paid for express shipping, if it has been 2 weeks I would ask the school to resend using the same method (at their cost, but they might not swing for that).

The person who asked this question on Twitter also asked a follow-up question about whether they should email AMCAS to let them know a second copy was coming. I didn't see an answer to that earlier, but it may have been answered by now.

Hope this helps!

I don't mind at all! Thank you so much for that information! :)

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but does it make a difference whether you submit your application the first couple of days versus the second week that it is open? Assuming that your transcripts have already been sent by your school. I know that applications don't get sent to schools until July and that there's a process of verification that takes a while after submission.

I know the general rule is the earlier the better, but from what I've read it seems that there's a certain period of time at the beginning where all apps received would be reviewed equally (stats/content of apps side of course).

Verification will typically happen sequentially when both application and transcripts are marked arrived as you cant do one without the other. While it can 2-6 weeks to verified, early in the cycle (ie first 2-3 weeks of June) it really makes almost no difference.

Rule 1: Take a Breath!

Depends, some schools specifically for 2 science professors who have taught you in a classroom setting. Others ask for 2 science faculty. However, the PI and Advisor will likely be fine. Just let them write without the suggestion above. It would seem ironic to ask something vaguely unethical to help you enter a profession where ethics are highly valued
Thank you so much! This community has been very helpful, where other resources has fallen far short. Its funny because, the past few years I have not been stressing. But in the past few weeks everything has come full force. I fear that some stupid little thing is going to de-rail my entire application. Upsetting something that I have worked very hard for over the past few years. Thanks gonnif!

Last edited:
Under the section Post-Secondary school, do I need to fill this out if I took Enviromental Science Ap at my highschool. I think no, because it is not from a "post" secondary.

Lastly, Under the standardized test section, do I need to give them my SAT information?

Under the section Post-Secondary school, do I need to fill this out if I took Enviromental Science Ap at my highschool. I think no, because it is not from a "post" secondary.

Lastly, Under the standardized test section, do I need to give them my SAT information?

You only report AP credit if college units were awarded from your undergraduate.

No to the SAT - only TMDSAS asks.

Would the director of volunteer services at a university's medical center be considered "associated with a school?"
I am trying to add a letter of recommendation entry for them on AMCAS and I am not sure if I should answer this question yes or no. Am I thinking too hard about this?
Thanks

Hi everyone! I'm in a dual degree program at my university so I will be getting both a BA and a BS. Due to some weird technology loophole, my transcript only shows my BA degree. Since this is gender studies (haha), I feel like my neuroscience BS is also pretty important. I called AMCAS and they said that they only verify coursework not degrees, but I feel shady not having an official form of my second degree. My school also offers an enrollment verification which shows my neuroscience degree, but AMCAS said they would do nothing with it if I send it to them. Should I send it anyway? Do medical schools see the official transcripts sent to AMCAS?

Also, I took AP physics and got a 5 on it in high school. On my transcript, my school gave me credit for Physics I which included a lab component. Does that mean that I should also write Physics I and Lab and check the combined even though it was through AP credit?

Thanks for the help!

So I've searched this thread and haven't found the answer to this.
I took chem at a different school over the summer. I also got the credits for it approved and transferred to my home school. Do I list this class for both institutions, as it appears on both transcripts? Chem is the only class I took over the summer at the other place.

So I've searched this thread and haven't found the answer to this.
I took chem at a different school over the summer. I also got the credits for it approved and transferred to my home school. Do I list this class for both institutions, as it appears on both transcripts? Chem is the only class I took over the summer at the other place.

Only list it at the school where you took it.

You will need to list that school with the one course taken - then submit a transcript from that institution.

If I have 0 credit for an AP course, would I still put it down? For example, I got a 5 and 4 the English APs and on my transcript it shows me having two english 1 classes, one 3 credits and the other 0. Same with Calc 1, even though I only took the BC class.

When do LoRs need to be in by (if I'm trying to get everything done as early as possible)?

Do they usually need to be done by the time verification is done to receive secondaries?

Also, if I'm using interfolio, what kinds of delays (in sending the letters to AMCAS) should I expect?

When do LoRs need to be in by (if I'm trying to get everything done as early as possible)?

Do they usually need to be done by the time verification is done to receive secondaries?

Also, if I'm using interfolio, what kinds of delays (in sending the letters to AMCAS) should I expect?

Interfolio letter delivery is virtually instant (someone at AMCAS has to click some buttons).

They don't need to be in before you receive secondaries (but this may vary, depending on school). They do need to uploaded to AMCAS and delivered to the school in order you have your application reviewed, though (aka, "complete").

I'm getting a LOR from an employer who just so happens to also be an Ed.D.

Is it appropriate to list their prefix as Dr? I ask because I'm aware that Ed.Ds are sometimes looked down on from doctors of other fields.

Interfolio letter delivery is virtually instant (someone at AMCAS has to click some buttons).

They don't need to be in before you receive secondaries (but this may vary, depending on school). They do need to uploaded to AMCAS and delivered to the school in order you have your application reviewed, though (aka, "complete").

So in reality, if I plan to turn in everything as soon as possible, I should make sure I have all LoRs received at the same time I turn in my secondaries (which would be the first day they are released to me).

Regarding Course Work:

I have a bunch of College classes I took before graduation, so AMCAS automatically classifies them as HS. I don't have a huge problem with that, except the following:

1. My junior year in AMCAS was my first year at a quarter system 4-year school and didn't do so great, my senior year and sophomore and freshman years are really good...3.8s for most of the three years. Yet Junior will be computed x3 for weighted GPA, how do you let them know to look at your senior year for improved grades before screening you out? :\

2. I took a CLEP test and got 3 credits for that course. However, this CLEP was during my HS years and does not allow me to put it as freshmen or sophomore or anything like that. AMCAS manual specifically says AP, CLEP, etc must be placed as either F/S/J/Se year. What do I do?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.