*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I did not write this thread - it has been passed down through the eons by pre-allo staff.

It is that time of year again!
:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

The AMCAS Application will be opening SOON! This is a place for all things AMCAS related so that we don't flood the first page. All threads created after this one will be merged into this thread. All previously created threads that are bumped will be re-directed here, and closed if bumped again.
Reminder: Each thread has a search function!! PLEASE use it!!.

Also, one of your first resources should be the source itself. Almost any basic question you have about AMCAS can be found by reading the AMCAS FAQ and the AMCAS instruction manual. Please try to find your answer before posting your question.
The AMCAS FAQ can be found here and the instruction manual can be found here.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

-- -- --

AMCAS FAQ from 2012 through 2015; please let us know if there are any changes. Will be continuously updated as new information is brought to light.

General Submission/Big Picture Questions

1. When does AMCAS open? How soon can I submit?
The AMCAS application opens on May 3rd, 2016, and you can submit starting June 7th, 2016.

2. When can I start uploading my transcripts to AMCAS?
As soon as the application opens, on May 1st.

3. How should I organize my information in the Work and Activities Section?
The Pre-Allo staff has created a new thread that compiles some of the best bits of information and contains a FAQ for the Work and Activities section. That thread can be found here. Please post questions regarding this section into that thread.

4. What about Letters of Rec?
Funny you should ask. There is a thread for that too.

5. What should I include in my personal statement?
Wouldn't you know....there is a thread for that too. Check out the Official Personal Statement Reader Thread for some great advice.

6. How is AMCAS different from prior years?
See these threads for more information : http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=804620 and http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=807218

7. What is all of this about being a reapplicant?
AMCAS will only show you are a reapplicant to each of the individual schools you have applied to previously. No school at anytime during the AMCAS process can see if you have previously applied to any other school, nor can it see any other school your are currently applying to. No school except the individual school your are reapplying to can see any part of your previous AMCAS application, and only if they have kept it on file, which most schools do. AMCAS does not provide your previous application to any school, whether a reapplicant or not. Every MD school can see if you have been accepted previously at an MD school. While AMCAS guidelines do allow individual schools on their secondary applications to ask if you had ever previously applied to medical school, the question does not appear to be widely used. It is more common for individual schools to ask if you have ever been accepted previously matriculated at any medical school, which would include allopathic, osteopathic, or off-shore.

8. What parts of the AMCAS application can I change after submitting? If I change these things, will I have to wait longer?
You can add and assign LORs (Letters of Recommendation)
You can change your name, current address, and alternate names
You can add a future MCAT test date

Several other things that can be found here on the AMCAS official site.
No, you will not have to wait longer once you re-submit.

9. How long does it take to get verified after submitting?
It varies. Generally, the later you submit, the longer it takes. You can look at last year's verification times here.

10. When do secondaries come out?
This varies from school to school. If you are interested in a particular school, your best bet is to check out that school's specific thread in the "School Specific Discussions" forum.

11. What are some important dates that I should know?

this will be updated once AMCAS releases dates

Transcript/Coursework Questions

12. What about transcripts in general? Tell me everything!
Once the AMCAS application opens in May, you will be given an AMCAS ID number. You are also then able to add schools (and the dates you attended those schools) into AMCAS. When you do this, you will be able to print a transcript sheet that contains your AMCAS ID number on it for each school. When you go to order your transcripts, have your school include this sheet with the transcripts to be sent.
12a. I know this was asked in question 3 above....but do I really really really have to include every transcript?
Yes, you MUST include transcripts from all colleges you have ever attended. You cannot send the transcripts yourself (as in, getting a copy into your hands, and then sending it to AMCAS); they have to come from the school directly to be considered official.
12b. Do I have to include the AMCAS sheet when sending in my transcripts? What happens if I don't?
You should really include this sheet; giving AMCAS any chance to lose your transcripts is a bad idea. However, I can tell you from personal experience that one of the 8 transcripts I had to send was done online, and I was unable to include the sheet. I gave instructions for them to write my AMCAS ID on the envelope, and it got there fine. But again....making more work for AMCAS employees or giving them an excuse to lose your stuff is never a good idea.

13. What about in-progress courses, or courses I know I am going to take over the summer? What about Pre-reqs I am taking over the summer?
There is a chance for you to list all future courses on the AMCAS application. No, you can not update these grades later in AMCAS, but you CAN update individual schools later with these grades. This is actually a perfect opportunity for you to send an Update Letter to schools telling them again how much you love them, and telling them what you've been up to.

14. I took a class at a community college while I was in high school. Do I still need to report that transcript?
Yes. If you don't, you are risking being found out and having a school revoke an acceptance.

15. My spring grades don't come out until May/June/July/Whatever. Should I wait until I get them to submit my application?
If you decide you want to apply as early as possible, your spring grades would not be on your transcript. This is a judgement call. If your spring grades matter a LOT (they contain 3 prereqs, all As, and this is the first time you've taken a full load), wait until they come in before you send your transcripts in.

If not (they result in a minimal impact to your GPA, have only 1 prereq, and don't show anything special), go ahead and submit and plan to send updates to schools. Sending them some good grades is a good reason to contact them later if you've had a lot of silence from them. You are at a greater advantage being early than having more grades that will barely impact your GPA.
I would also suggest "rushing" transcripts whenever possible. The peace of mind is worth the extra money.
Also, keep in mind; you can submit without transcripts. The problem is that you will not be verified without them.

16. Does AMCAS begin verifying my coursework once they receive my transcripts?
No. AMCAS only verifies coursework once you submit your application. AMCAS will send you an email notifying you of the date they receive your transcript and the school that sent it, but that doesn't mean that your coursework is being verified.

17. Do I need to send in my transcript again, even if I sent it in last year?
Yes. See here https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/147528/amcas_2010_faqs-6.3.html

18. Will medical schools notice that a class included a lab?
In addition to selecting the "Combined Lecture and Lab" radio button, it is recommended that you add "and Lab" to the end of the course name. The 2012 AMCAS instruction manual says this:
https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...hared_3.2.html
If you disagree with a change that AMCAS made, then submit an "Academic Change Request" form found on the Main Menu of your AMCAS application, but be prepared to back up your claim.

20. Help! What do I do with my AP classes?
Read through the AMCAS instruction manual, particularly page 41. For additional information on specific schools that accept AP credit, see this thread.

21. How do repeat courses average into the AMCAS application?
Both classes will need to be listed when you enter your information into AMCAS, and they will both be used when calculating your final GPA. If you want, you can this of this as "averaging" the grade, with the full amount of credit being equal to both classes together. Example: 3 units of C, class is retaken for 3 units of A. The final calculation would be 6 units of B.

22. Can I have my school send in a digital copy of my transcript? What email address do I send it to?
AMCAS has started accepting eTranscripts from some institutions that have registered with them. Consult your pre-health advisement office to see if this is available for your school. Your registrar will still need to send the eTranscript directly to AMCAS (AMCAS does not accept transcripts via email from applicants).

This FAQ is a work in progress. Please feel free to make suggestions in this thread or via PM for its contents; both questions and answers.

If you think something should be added to the FAQ, you see something that needs to be updated, or for any other concerns, tag @WedgeDawg or @Ismet in one of your posts (or PM us!). If you do this, it's a HUGE HUGE HUGE help if you post the link to your source in your post!

Thanks and best of luck everyone!

LINK TO LAST YEAR'S THREAD

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if this is the best place to ask. If it's not my apologies.

How long does it take to get a secondary after adding the school to your primary app. Of course assuming you are already verified. I know it varies for each school, so is there somewhere I can look to see how long it takes for individual schools typically?

I ask this because I'm debating taking the July 8th MCAT rather than the June 18th one that I am registered for and wanted to see how long it would take to get my secondaries from schools once I add them after getting my score.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask. If it's not my apologies.

How long does it take to get a secondary after adding the school to your primary app. Of course assuming you are already verified. I know it varies for each school, so is there somewhere I can look to see how long it takes for individual schools typically?

I ask this because I'm debating taking the July 8th MCAT rather than the June 18th one that I am registered for and wanted to see how long it would take to get my secondaries from schools once I add them after getting my score.

You dont impress schools by being early; you impress them by doing well. Take the MCAT when ready, and if that means using a few extra weeks, do so. Your primary app will be fine if you do a single high reach school so all gets verified. Don't submit other schools until you have your MCAT score. You can see the school specific threads to have secondaries prewritten. I dont think your timeline will be greatly impacted

The secondary screening process varies widely across schools.

Most Common
1)Some get your contact info only from AMCAS and send out secondaries unscreened prior to primary application or verified
2)Some send out secondaries unscreened when they receive transmitted primary app from AMCAS
3)Some do a preliminary basic screen with a predetermined MCAT/GPA "forumla". This could simply mean they look at "outstanding" candidates first before sending secondaries to the next batch.

Less Common
4)Some do a full review of primary before sending out secondaries to candidates it has voted on
5)Extending the above, some send secondaries out only to those it will invite to interview.

You dont impress schools by being early; you impress them by doing well. Take the MCAT when ready, and if that means using a few extra weeks, do so. Your primary app will be fine if you do a single high reach school so all gets verified. Don't submit other schools until you have your MCAT score. You can see the school specific threads to have secondaries prewritten. I dont think your timeline will be greatly impacted

The secondary screening process varies widely across schools.

Most Common
1)Some get your contact info only from AMCAS and send out secondaries unscreened prior to primary application or verified
2)Some send out secondaries unscreened when they receive transmitted primary app from AMCAS
3)Some do a preliminary basic screen with a predetermined MCAT/GPA "forumla". This could simply mean they look at "outstanding" candidates first before sending secondaries to the next batch.

Less Common
4)Some do a full review of primary before sending out secondaries to candidates it has voted on
5)Extending the above, some send secondaries out only to those it will invite to interview.

Got it. Really do appreciate that answer. Few questions though. So if I do take the July 8th exam, I'll have my score on August 9th. I'll be verified long before that with one high reach school and I'll have the secondaries done during that month waiting period.

On August 9th based on my score I'll add all the schools I have on my list. I know it varies and this question is probably unanswerable, but is there an average time most schools take to send the secondary? How long should I expect to wait for the secondary to be sent so I can submit my pre-written ones? I guess I can look through the school specific threads to possibly find this out for each school? Also how long does it take for a school to mark you complete after submitting the secondary?

Basically I want to make sure I know when I will be fully complete by if I follow through with this plan.

Got it. Really do appreciate that answer. Few questions though. So if I do take the July 8th exam, I'll have my score on August 9th. I'll be verified long before that with one high reach school and I'll have the secondaries done during that month waiting period.

On August 9th based on my score I'll add all the schools I have on my list. I know it varies and this question is probably unanswerable, but is there an average time most schools take to send the secondary? How long should I expect to wait for the secondary to be sent so I can submit my pre-written ones? Also how long does it take for a school to mark you complete after submitting the secondary?

Basically I want to make sure I know when I will be fully complete by if I follow through with this plan.

completely variable on timing, but I would say most have automated system and you will get them within a week or two at the most. Some probably a day or two. Any screened ones will take longer but frankly if you get your file complete (primary, secondary, MCAT, LOR) by the end of September, you're fine

Reactions: 1 user
I went to a CC for 2 years, and then transferred to a UC, where I'm currently finishing my junior year. Unfortunately, spring quarter grades won't be on my transcript until around June 15th. I have a 3.9 from the CC and a 4.0 so far at my UC. Should I submit my app as early as possible, even without spring quarter grades (likely 4.0 again for spring grades), or should I slightly delay submitting in order to get those grades on my app? I worry that 2 quarters of a 4.0 won't be enough to convince adcoms that I can succeed at a university, and I'm hoping that another quarter will help a bit with that, but if it doesn't matter then I'll submit my app without those grades (bio, biochem, and physics). I'm also taking the June 18th MCAT, so my app probably won't be reviewed by schools until around July 18th anyways, so it probably makes sense to just wait the extra week to submit, right?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using SDN mobile

I just wanna say thank you for posting this. I was gonna make a thread about my questions but all of them have been answered!

Thank you!

I went to a CC for 2 years, and then transferred to a UC, where I'm currently finishing my junior year. Unfortunately, spring quarter grades won't be on my transcript until around June 15th. I have a 3.9 from the CC and a 4.0 so far at my UC. Should I submit my app as early as possible, even without spring quarter grades (likely 4.0 again for spring grades), or should I slightly delay submitting in order to get those grades on my app? I worry that 2 quarters of a 4.0 won't be enough to convince adcoms that I can succeed at a university, and I'm hoping that another quarter will help a bit with that, but if it doesn't matter then I'll submit my app without those grades (bio, biochem, and physics). I'm also taking the June 18th MCAT, so my app probably won't be reviewed by schools until around July 18th anyways, so it probably makes sense to just wait the extra week to submit, right?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using SDN mobile
It makes sense to wait, considering the timing of your MCAT score return If you would not have 90 semester hour equivalents on the AMCAS generated transcript (which most schools require for consideration), before spring grades are posted, you'd have little choice but to wait.

It makes sense to wait, considering the timing of your MCAT score return If you would not have 90 semester hour equivalents on the AMCAS generated transcript (which most schools require for consideration), before spring grades are posted, you'd have little choice but to wait.
I just checked my transcripts, and I'll actually have about 100 semester hour equivalents without including spring quarter grades. With ~3.9 sGPA and ~3.9 cGPA, and an MCAT projected to be in the 95th-100th percentile, could it hurt my application to have only 2 quarters at my UC by the time I send in my transcripts (5 A+'s, 1 A)? It would honestly be pretty nice to not have to worry about getting a 4.0 this quarter, and instead spend more study time for the MCAT, but if only having 2 quarters at my university instead of 3 would look suspicious/unimpressive, then I'm willing to delay the app a week and put in some extra work this quarter to maintain A's/A+'s at the cost of a bit of MCAT prep time. Thoughts?

I just checked my transcripts, and I'll actually have about 100 semester hour equivalents without including spring quarter grades. With ~3.9 sGPA and ~3.9 cGPA, and an MCAT projected to be in the 95th-100th percentile, could it hurt my application to have only 2 quarters at my UC by the time I send in my transcripts (5 A+'s, 1 A)? It would honestly be pretty nice to not have to worry about getting a 4.0 this quarter, and instead spend more study time for the MCAT, but if only having 2 quarters at my university instead of 3 would look suspicious/unimpressive, then I'm willing to delay the app a week and put in some extra work this quarter to maintain A's/A+'s at the cost of a bit of MCAT prep time. Thoughts?
A full year of university credits looks stronger. And don't assume you can relax and allow lower grades, because you aren't guaranteed an acceptance regardless of how high your stats are. If you need a second application cycle, you'd regret not putting forth consistent excellent effort.

Members don't see this ad :)
A full year of university credits looks stronger. And don't assume you can relax and allow lower grades, because you aren't guaranteed an acceptance regardless of how high your stats are. If you need a second application cycle, you'd regret not putting forth consistent excellent effort.
Alright that makes sense, thanks for the feedback.

As a non-trad, I've attended many institutions. Do I need to include my student ID for all 6 schools?

As a non-trad, I've attended many institutions. Do I need to include my student ID for all 6 schools?

You are not required but these are used to ensure that transcripts are matched correctly to you, so i suggest that you include them

You are not required but these are used to ensure that transcripts are matched correctly to you, so i suggest that you include them

Thanks for the reply. I noticed there is not way to indicate which school the ID belongs - assuming I should proceed anyways, and AMCAS can figure out which belongs to which ?

Thanks for the reply. I noticed there is not way to indicate which school the ID belongs - assuming I should proceed anyways, and AMCAS can figure out which belongs to which ?

They just need to match the ID on a transcript to your application as a double check. They dont need to know which school.

This is a bit nitpicky, but are we allowed to scan the Transcript Request Form and e-mail that to our undergrad? Or do they have to be sent in person (to preserve the signature)?

Another question - I took a few courses at a community college, but the terms I took them weren't continuous. For start/end date, should I just put the start date of the first course a took, and the end date of the most recent, despite a year long gap between the two?

This is a bit nitpicky, but are we allowed to scan the Transcript Request Form and e-mail that to our undergrad? Or do they have to be sent in person (to preserve the signature)?

Since the transcript request form is being sent to the school, if the school accepts it as a scan, I would say its fine. I would imagine their are schools now that only will take transcript requests electronically and no longer accept physical paper requests

Another question - I took a few courses at a community college, but the terms I took them weren't continuous. For start/end date, should I just put the start date of the first course a took, and the end date of the most recent, despite a year long gap between the two?

Thats fine

Thanks @gonnif . I have one more question, so sorry! I may need to call AMCAS on this one. As an undergraduate at the University of Oregon, I studied abroad with Semester at Sea, a program sponsored by the University of Virginia. The credits all transferred to my home institution and show up as home credits on my University of Oregon undergrad transcript. Should I include UVA as a school attended and submit a transcript from them, even though the credits transferred fully?

My inclination is yes..to ensure dotting i's and crossing t's :)

Thanks @gonnif . I have one more question, so sorry! I may need to call AMCAS on this one. As an undergraduate at the University of Oregon, I studied abroad with Semester at Sea, a program sponsored by the University of Virginia. The credits all transferred to my home institution and show up as home credits on my University of Oregon undergrad transcript. Should I include UVA as a school attended and submit a transcript from them, even though the credits transferred fully?

My inclination is yes..to ensure dotting i's and crossing t's :)

UofV has the original grades/transcript you need to get them from there

Thanks @gonnif!

Another quick question to anybody reading this: I was part of a music group during undergrad that allowed me to receive class credit through the music department. It shows up on my transcript but there is no real grade - should I call this Pass/Fail on AMCAS?

Quick question. I tried to find the answer in the AAMC Handbook but it wasn't really clear. I came into college with AP credit which showed up as credit on my transcript for a class but then I ended up retaking the class anyway as an honors class. How would I enter this in the course information? On my transcript where it lists the AP credit there is an "A" next to it which apparently means "Exclude hours and include quality points. Assigned if a course is taken more than once that is not repeatable". When I enter the AP credit course should I check the box "Repeat" to indicate I took the same course again?

I did a study abroad program in London, but it was with a professor from my home institution, so the course went directly to my home institution transcript. Should I still specify that I studied abroad? How would I go about doing this?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Lab related question...

So I have courses that have lab components and the lab credit is included in the lecture grade, so I have to list down "and lab" after the lecture course title and click the "combined lecture and lab" button. However, those labs also show up in my transcript, though they do not have credits and the grades on the transcript are "L". Should I still type in these labs in my course work section, or is the "and lab" designation enough?

Question about taking classes at the same school, but at different times. I took some college credit at a local community college in high school, and then my freshman summer in college I took an online course at the same school. Am I correct to list the college twice under colleges attended, once for each time I took classes there?

AP-related question:
I took 3 AP classes in high school for which I also received credit as a graded class at the university which I now attend, through a program called Early College Experience. The classes are listed on my transcript twice, once as AP transfer credit without a grade, and once as Early College Experience transfer credit with a grade. How should I list these?
Also, I retook a class for which I had AP credit during college. Do I list both times I took the class?
I didn't realize this could be so confusing!

Hi! Question about credits vs semester hours. My college gives 1.0 credit per semester course and 0.5 credits per half-semester course. This is equivalent to 4 semester hours and 2 semester hours, respectively. Do I enter in the credits or the semester hours? I know AMCAS wants you to write exactly what appears on your transcript, which would be the credits. But they ask for credit hours on the application, which makes me think I should convert to semester hours. Any advice?

I did a study abroad program in London, but it was with a professor from my home institution, so the course went directly to my home institution transcript. Should I still specify that I studied abroad? How would I go about doing this?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Bump this one. I did a study abroad in Europe with a prof from my home institution, and I'm not sure if I need to answer "Yes" to the "Did you study abroad?" question.

UofV has the original grades/transcript you need to get them from there

Thats what I figured -- however, the courses ARE listed as graded, full-credit, home institution courses on my undergrad transcript, as well as the UVA transcript. It says not to enter them twice, so I'm concerned about what to do .

I guess I'm calling AMCAS in the morning.

Thats what I figured -- however, the courses ARE listed as graded, full-credit, home institution courses on my undergrad transcript, as well as the UVA transcript. It says not to enter them twice, so I'm concerned about what to do .

I guess I'm calling AMCAS in the morning.

No need to, the courses need to be listed from the original institution as the AMCAS instructions state

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(page 35)
Coursework Details
Enter courses in chronological order exactly as they appear on the official transcript of the school where they were originally attempted. This is especially important to remember if the credit for a course was transferred from one U.S. or Canadian school to another.

For example, suppose you primarily attended the University of Maryland and took “Intro to Pottery” at your local community college over the summer. You would list the community college in the “Schools Attended” section of the application (and request an official transcript for it) and add “Intro to Pottery” as a course you took at the community college. You would not list the course under the University of Maryland, even if the credits were transferred there.

Bump this one. I did a study abroad in Europe with a prof from my home institution, and I'm not sure if I need to answer "Yes" to the "Did you study abroad?" question.

Where are the credits listed? Solely on your home institution? It sounds like this:

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p49)American Colleges Overseas
Some schools, although not physically located in the United States or Canada, have received accreditation from the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, and are thus not considered foreign institutions and transcripts are required. Courses should be listed on the AMCAS materials like all other U.S. coursework. U.S. institutions with campuses overseas (such as the “University of Maryland at Mu nich”) are considered U.S. colleges for which transcripts are required and all coursework must be listed.

Lab related question...

So I have courses that have lab components and the lab credit is included in the lecture grade, so I have to list down "and lab" after the lecture course title and click the "combined lecture and lab" button. However, those labs also show up in my transcript, though they do not have credits and the grades on the transcript are "L". Should I still type in these labs in my course work section, or is the "and lab" designation enough?

If the lab alone appears on the transcript, include it otherwise it may cause confusion and delay. The "and lab" is solely for the actual schools to review. I would
suggest that you also put in the "lab only" course include "(grade included in lecture and lab above)"

Hi, I have a question: If I am taking a class this summer, do I add it the coursework as well? Thanks.

Quick question. I tried to find the answer in the AAMC Handbook but it wasn't really clear. I came into college with AP credit which showed up as credit on my transcript for a class but then I ended up retaking the class anyway as an honors class. How would I enter this in the course information? On my transcript where it lists the AP credit there is an "A" next to it which apparently means "Exclude hours and include quality points. Assigned if a course is taken more than once that is not repeatable". When I enter the AP credit course should I check the box "Repeat" to indicate I took the same course again?

The AP class is the original and the actual course is the repeat

(p44)If you take a college level course for which you already have been granted AP credit by the same institution, this course is considered a Repeat. For example, if you received AP credit for your AP Psychology course and took an Introduction to Psychology course at the same undergraduate institution , you should list Introduction to Psychology as a Repeat.

Question about taking classes at the same school, but at different times. I took some college credit at a local community college in high school, and then my freshman summer in college I took an online course at the same school. Am I correct to list the college twice under colleges attended, once for each time I took classes there?

No if it is one transcript, it is all undergrad. You can include the credits in HS or SO (summer starts the year for AMCAS so summer after freshman year is sophomore year by AMCAS

Where are the credits listed? Solely on your home institution? It sounds like this:

(p49)American Colleges Overseas
Some schools, although not physically located in the United States or Canada, have received accreditation from the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, and are thus not considered foreign institutions and transcripts are required. Courses should be listed on the AMCAS materials like all other U.S. coursework. U.S. institutions with campuses overseas (such as the “University of Maryland at Mu nich”) are considered U.S. colleges for which transcripts are required and all coursework must be listed.

The credit is on my home institution transcript. There wasn't another institution at all. I went on a January term study abroad with undergrads all from my institution with one of our faculty.

Hi! Question about credits vs semester hours. My college gives 1.0 credit per semester course and 0.5 credits per half-semester course. This is equivalent to 4 semester hours and 2 semester hours, respectively. Do I enter in the credits or the semester hours? I know AMCAS wants you to write exactly what appears on your transcript, which would be the credits. But they ask for credit hours on the application, which makes me think I should convert to semester hours. Any advice?

Definitely No, put them in as they appear on transcript

(p39)Credit Hours
Your AMCAS application will automatically convert most undergraduate credit hours (also known as units, hours, etc.) to either semester hours or supplemental hours based on conversions provided by undergraduate institutions . Indicate your credit hours or units exactly as they appear on your transcript. Do not attempt to enter conversions based on the Grade Conversion Guide or any other conversion method.

The credit is on my home institution transcript. There wasn't another institution at all. I went on a January term study abroad with undergrads all from my institution with one of our faculty.

Then they are not study abroad and just list as regular college as previously noted

I just did this today and it worked really well. Just download the transcript request form, print it, sign it, and send it to the registrar's office of your undergraduate institution. What they did for me was reply with a "Thanks we have printed your transcript request form and if you would please purchase/order an official transcript online, we will send the transcript with the transcript request form to AAMC/AMCAS." It worked and for one of my schools the transcript has already been processed in my AMCAS application.

Anyone gotten P/F credit for research? Would it be lecture/lab? I would say lab since I literally did lab work, but I wasn't sure how that worked. Thanks!

A quick question about the Repeat mark - I retook a course because it was 10 years out of date, and I needed it as a prerequisite for another course (I'm obviously a non-trad).

My literal reading of the AAMC section on this, "This selection applies to each completed attempt for any course attempted more than once, unless the final grade initially received was Withdrawal or Incomplete." is that I should mark both the initial time through the course and the 10-years-later attempt with the repeat check box. Is this correct, or should only the second attempt get the selection? My gut says the second, but being overly literal says the first.

A quick question about the Repeat mark - I retook a course because it was 10 years out of date, and I needed it as a prerequisite for another course (I'm obviously a non-trad).

My literal reading of the AAMC section on this, "This selection applies to each completed attempt for any course attempted more than once, unless the final grade initially received was Withdrawal or Incomplete." is that I should mark both the initial time through the course and the 10-years-later attempt with the repeat check box. Is this correct, or should only the second attempt get the selection? My gut says the second, but being overly literal says the first.

Just the second attempt should be marked as repeat. If you read the next paragraph after the the one you quoted above from the directions, on AP credits and repeats, it will be explained clearly that is what they want

(p44)If you take a college level course for which you already have been granted AP credit by the same institution, this course is considered a Repeat. For example, if you received AP credit for your AP Psychology course and took an Introduction to Psychology course at the same undergraduate institution , you should list Introduction to Psychology as a Repeat.

Anyone gotten P/F credit for research? Would it be lecture/lab? I would say lab since I literally did lab work, but I wasn't sure how that worked. Thanks!

mark it as lab. P/F will show up in supplemental hours and will not be part of GPA

Concerning submitting transcripts... Is it recommended to just simply go to the universities website and formally request transcripts? Then, fill out AMCAS information as the "recipient"? If so, will AMCAS automatically match the incoming official transcripts with the proper application?

Concerning submitting transcripts... Is it recommended to just simply go to the universities website and formally request transcripts? Then, fill out AMCAS information as the "recipient"? If so, will AMCAS automatically match the incoming official transcripts with the proper application?

Print out AMCAS Transcript Request as follow as below

(p21)Transcripts

In the Transcript section of the application, you will determine whether AMCAS requires an official transcript from each institution you attended. If AMCAS requires a transcript from your school(s), you can create and print AMCAS Transcript Request Forms to send to the registrar(s). For transcripts that are not required by AMCAS, you will request transcript exceptions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.