*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those doing the throwaway school option: do you only add 1 school and then submit your app? AACOMAS is a bit different, you can pay for each individual application or pay all together but that option does not seem to be present for AMCAS.
Add one school and pay the base fee only on initial submission to AMCAS. Later add more schools, recertify the application, and pay per school fees for those added. The cost will be the same as if you'd included all the schools originally.

Members don't see this ad.

Two things
1) I just graduated from college. AMCAS already received my transcript but that was before final grades were submitted. I'm going to receive my final grades at or around Monday. Should I re-send my transcript? Will AMCAS dismiss the first transcript and only consider the second one since it is more up to date (it's only three classes)?

2) I plan on doing physician shadowing this summer. What do I put in the Work and Activities section in terms of date and time since I do not have either specifically set yet?

Thanks.

Does AMCAS require us to personally send our MCAT scores like AAMCOMAS does? Or do our mcat scores automatically get sent with our primary app? I entered in my scores but I'm curious if there is anything else I have to do before I submit my primary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does AMCAS require us to personally send our MCAT scores like AAMCOMAS does? Or do our mcat scores automatically get sent with our primary app? I entered in my scores but I'm curious if there is anything else I have to do before I submit my primary.
Since AAMC is the same entity that does the MCAT and AMCAS, it is automatically loaded to your application. If you look under your test scores, it should be there. I submitted my app before my scores came out, and I checked the day of scores, and it loaded it there automatically.

Since AAMC is the same entity that does the MCAT and AMCAS, it is automatically loaded to your application. If you look under your test scores, it should be there. I submitted my app before my scores came out, and I checked the day of scores, and it loaded it there automatically.

Great, thanks! I assumed that but just wanted to double check.

Reactions: 1 user
I took a couple of classes at a few community colleges under the same name, but these community colleges send a single transcript since they're a part of the same county. I sent my transcript to AMCAS, and I listed the school attended as that single umbrella county college (didn't take any classes there; it's just the main entity). Now I realize that I should have put my transcript under one of the colleges that I actually attended (while putting the others as not requiring a transcript). If I call AMCAS on Monday, should they be able to transfer the transcript?

Also, I have AP credit and community college credit for SPA 202. These should both be "repeat" classes, right?

I know you can't change your application once your submit it, but can you still add stuff or will you have to send each school a separate emailing what it is you wanted to add? @gonnif

I know you can't change your application once your submit it, but can you still add stuff or will you have to send each school a separate emailing what it is you wanted to add? @gonnif

You can only add the below. If you want to add something, best do it with secondary at this point in process

Only the following can be Post-Submission Changes can be made

·ID Numbers
·Name
including Full Legal Name
Preferred Name
and Alternate Names
·Contact Information including Permanent and Preferred Mailing Addresses
·Alternate Contact Information
·Date of Birth, Birth Address, and Sex
·Letters of Evaluation (only additions of up to 10 letter entries and notifying AMCAS of a letter no longer being sent)
·Next MCAT testing date
·Add Medical Schools and change existing Program type (deadlines
fees and restrictions apply)
·Release application information to your pre-health advisor

Print out AMCAS Transcript Request as follow as below

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p21)Transcripts

In the Transcript section of the application, you will determine whether AMCAS requires an official transcript from each institution you attended. If AMCAS requires a transcript from your school(s), you can create and print AMCAS Transcript Request Forms to send to the registrar(s). For transcripts that are not required by AMCAS, you will request transcript exceptions.

Hello,

I need to send a transcript to AMCAS in order to apply to medical schools in the United States. How do I do this online? They have given my my AAMC ID and require that the transcript from the university that I need to order online include it somehow. How would I do that if I wanted to order the transcript online?

I am confused about the process. Do I send the request forms to the universities I attended or do I order the transcripts from the universities' websites to the address that the AAMC provides in the transcript request form?

Hello,

I need to send a transcript to AMCAS in order to apply to medical schools in the United States. How do I do this online? They have given my my AAMC ID and require that the transcript from the university that I need to order online include it somehow. How would I do that if I wanted to order the transcript online?

I am confused about the process. Do I send the request forms to the universities I attended or do I order the transcripts from the universities' websites to the address that the AAMC provides in the transcript request form?

Did you attend school in the US?

anyone having problems submitting the AMCAS primary? I am trying to use my chase visa but it says "unable ... etc" I mean the card works fine I just submitted my DO application less than 1 minute ago.

I just graduated from college. AMCAS already received my transcript about a month ago but that was before final grades were submitted. I'm going to receive my final grades on Monday. Should I re-send my transcript? Will AMCAS dismiss the first transcript and only consider the second one since it is more up to date (it's only three classes up to date)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, what do you guys think of putting in yelping as a hobby? Is there a negative connotation to that?

Also, what do you guys think of putting in yelping as a hobby? Is there a negative connotation to that?
What do you mean "yelping"? Is it using the website "yelp"? How is that a hobby?

Hey, is AMCAS super slow this year? I submitted early morning of June 8th and haven't been verified. Getting concerned (except that another friend of mine who submitted June 8th has also not been verified yet...)

Hey all, I was just re-reading through my AMCAS (submitted and verified already) and I saw that in my IA disclaimer I wrote one-semester suspension instead of probation. Is there any way to change this, add an addendum, or let med schools know I wasn't suspended? Some secondaries give the chance to talk about these things but not all.

Hey, is AMCAS super slow this year? I submitted early morning of June 8th and haven't been verified. Getting concerned (except that another friend of mine who submitted June 8th has also not been verified yet...)

I submitted mine the same day and time and haven't been verified yet.

EDIT: I was verified at 9:30 this morning!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just graduated from college. AMCAS already received my transcript about a month ago but that was before final grades were submitted. I'm going to receive my final grades on Monday. Should I re-send my transcript? Will AMCAS dismiss the first transcript and only consider the second one since it is more up to date (it's only three classes up to date)?
So long as you are not yet verified, they receive transcript #2 before they begin verification, and you email them to let them know an updated transcript is on the way and to disregard the first one, there is a chance they will ignore transcript #1 and not use it.

So long as you are not yet verified, they receive transcript #2 before they begin verification, and you email them to let them know an updated transcript is on the way and to disregard the first one, there is a chance they will ignore transcript #1 and not use it.
Does it matter though to send in transcript 2? My GPA changed by 0.01 points.

How long does it take to process transcripts once received by AMCAS?

Is adding that I am a member of the Golden Key Honor Society significant, or would it look like I am adding "fillers" to my application?

Is adding that I am a member of the Golden Key Honor Society significant, or would it look like I am adding "fillers" to my application?

That seems significant to me! I think any honor society should be mentioned. It is an achievement to become a part of that and be dedicated to it.

If you already have an Awards space, add it (and include your chapter's criteria). If you don't, this is not worth using a space for on its own, IMO, unless you have an organizational role.

Do any schools send secondaries before AMCAS is verified?

This is technically a secondary question, but it is a general question so it doesn't fit in a school-specific forum.

I worked 2 clinical jobs this year (scribe and EMT, part-time & full-time, respectively) and recently quit, as I am moving to begin an accelerated Master's program. I just want a month to move my things, secure housing, and have a small break/finish as many secondaries as possible before beginning school again. From what I hear, secondaries want to know what I have been doing since I submitted my application. I guess for the first time in my life I am not really that busy. Obviously I will bring up my Master's program, but does this 1 month break look bad?

Do any schools send secondaries before AMCAS is verified?

Most Common
1)Some get your contact info only from AMCAS and send out secondaries unscreened prior to primary application being verified (ie as soon as you indicate you are applying to them).
2)Some send out secondaries unscreened when they receive transmitted primary app from AMCAS
3)Some do a preliminary basic screen with a predetermined MCAT/GPA "forumla". This could simply mean they look at "outstanding" candidates first before sending secondaries to the next batch.

Less Common
4)Some do a full review of primary before sending out secondaries to candidates it has voted on
5)Extending the above, some send secondaries out only to those it will invite to interview.

I just submitted my application, but the formatting in the work/activities section looks really messed up. Any time there was supposed to be a new line/paragraph, there were a bunch of symbols instead, making the description really difficult to read. This did not happen for the essay, only work/activities. Did this happen to anyone else? Is this how it looks to the admissions committee?

How long does it take to process transcripts once received by AMCAS?

Do you mean to mark them as received, or do you mean to verify your AMCAS transcript with the official forms?

During peak season, AMCAS plans on a 4-6 week processing time frame from when transcripts are received until they may be verified and released. Last year Primaries submitted August 1st took average of 20 business days to process, which was the longest time reported

This is technically a secondary question, but it is a general question so it doesn't fit in a school-specific forum.

I worked 2 clinical jobs this year (scribe and EMT, part-time & full-time, respectively) and recently quit, as I am moving to begin an accelerated Master's program. I just want a month to move my things, secure housing, and have a small break/finish as many secondaries as possible before beginning school again. From what I hear, secondaries want to know what I have been doing since I submitted my application. I guess for the first time in my life I am not really that busy. Obviously I will bring up my Master's program, but does this 1 month break look bad?

No, it wont be an issue. You spent time relocating

I just submitted my application, but the formatting in the work/activities section looks really messed up. Any time there was supposed to be a new line/paragraph, there were a bunch of symbols instead, making the description really difficult to read. This did not happen for the essay, only work/activities. Did this happen to anyone else? Is this how it looks to the admissions committee?
You are looking in the wrong place. Instead access the view from the Main Menu>Print>PDF View. That's how adcomms will see it.

I went to a "dual-enrollment" high school in which you earn your Associate's at the same time you get your high school diploma. Will my overall/BCPM AMCAS GPA include all of the classes taken at CC (about 60 credits)?

Is there a good way to avoid grouped activities from showing up as a block of text in the application? I am proofreading before submitting and hate how it looks. :(

Is there a good way to avoid grouped activities from showing up as a block of text in the application? I am proofreading before submitting and hate how it looks. :(
Make sure you're looking at the PDF preview and not the HTML preview. All formatting done in the text boxes appears in what's sent to schools.

You are looking in the wrong place. Instead access the view from the Main Menu>Print>PDF View. That's how adcomms will see it.
Yes, the PDF view looks so much better! Thanks!

Has anyone got any secondaries yet?

Also, are secondaries sent to your email or do you have to be on AMCAS to see them?

Last edited:
This is probably a silly question, but if you've already been verified by the first day they send, how do you know the application was transmitted? Does the Application Status section update once it's been sent, or do you have to wait until you receive a secondary to know the application has made its way out into the world?

My application was verified on Jun 9 and I called AMCAS and they said it had been sent out to schools, but also that there is no way of verifying this on the student side of AMCAS.

If you type directly into the box, it will keep the formating. Real bullets can't be used, but numbers, dashes, or stars can be. Two hard returns (hitting Enter twice) creates a space between paragraphs. To see the entry as adcomms will view it, go to Main Menu>Print>PDF view.

So Main Menu>Print>PDF view is exactly how adcoms will view the application? In an effort to better format my work/activities entries, I used two hard returns to create paragraphs. After submitting my application I noticed that if I go to the Work/Activities tab and view an entry, my two hard returns are showing up as & #x d; or some variation of that jumble. Yet when I go to Main Menu>Print>PDF view, the entries look exactly how I had entered them originally.
Looking for some peace of mind that adcoms will see the Main Menu>Print>PDF view and not a bunch of "& #x d" instead of spaces between paragraphs.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question. Would appreciate your feedback! Have a question regarding whether to list a speeding traffic ticket I received in Texas recently. I pleaded no contest, took a drivers safety course, and paid the fine for the case to be dismissed. However, a traffic ticket is classified at a "Class C misdemeanor" in Texas. Should I list this in my AMCAS application. Thank you!

Has anyone got any secondaries yet?

Also, are secondaries sent to your email or do you have to be on AMCAS to see them?
Yes, I got mine from U of Michigan this morning at like 6am. I also got an email from UCSD asking for my SSN.

Yes, I got mine from U of Michigan this morning at like 6am. I also got an email from UCSD asking for my SSN.
Sorry and I got this all via email. You should get all secondary invites via email.

I know this has been beaten to death, but still confused...

If you withdraw from a course and then retake it, do you click repeat?

Previously, the advice I had gotten was to definitely do this, but then I found this in the AMCAS guide: "This selection applies to each completed attempt for any course attempted more than once, unless the final grade initially received was Withdrawal or Incomplete."

Status
Not open for further replies.