*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have a bit of an unusual situation here. I've served a total of 13 years in the National Guard and the Army Reserve (MDAY/TPU status, "drilling") and I'm currently in the Individual Ready Reserve (the "inactive" reserve). When reserve component soldiers complete basic training, we get a DD214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) and then we get assigned to our reserve unit. However, I've technically been enlisted continuously for over 13 years, so I think the question of whether I've received a discharge is a bit ambiguous. Complicating the matter further, I switched mid-career from the National Guard to the Army Reserve, and was given a discharge certificate from the Guard.

So, here's the problem. I completed the AMCAS last year, and 2015 me thought, "I have a DD214, so I'll check 'yes' to the military discharge question."

I completed the AMCAS this year, and 2016 me thought, "I'm in IRR right now and technically I've never left the service since I enlisted, so I'll check 'no' to the military discharge question." Big mistake. I got a letter today saying AMCAS has opened an investigation.

Now I'm freaking out. Hopefully I can clear this up with the AMCAS people as the simple misunderstanding that it is; even if I do, will medical schools still see that my application has been "flagged"? Advice? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The AMCAS manual doesn't provide any sort of operational definition as to what constitutes a military discharge, so no help there.

Members don't see this ad.

Still fine-tuning my AMCAS and hopefully submit it in the next few weeks...anyone else in the same boat??

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I have a bit of an unusual situation here. I've served a total of 13 years in the National Guard and the Army Reserve (MDAY/TPU status, "drilling") and I'm currently in the Individual Ready Reserve (the "inactive" reserve). When reserve component soldiers complete basic training, we get a DD214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) and then we get assigned to our reserve unit. However, I've technically been enlisted continuously for over 13 years, so I think the question of whether I've received a discharge is a bit ambiguous. Complicating the matter further, I switched mid-career from the National Guard to the Army Reserve, and was given a discharge certificate from the Guard.

So, here's the problem. I completed the AMCAS last year, and 2015 me thought, "I have a DD214, so I'll check 'yes' to the military discharge question."

I completed the AMCAS this year, and 2016 me thought, "I'm in IRR right now and technically I've never left the service since I enlisted, so I'll check 'no' to the military discharge question." Big mistake. I got a letter today saying AMCAS has opened an investigation.

Now I'm freaking out. Hopefully I can clear this up with the AMCAS people as the simple misunderstanding that it is; even if I do, will medical schools still see that my application has been "flagged"? Advice? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The AMCAS manual doesn't provide any sort of operational definition as to what constitutes a military discharge, so no help there.
Surprised this hasn't been addressed yet...

@Goro @gonnif @Catalystik

Hi all,

Surprised this hasn't been addressed yet...
This being a rare situation, I suggest you repost in a new thread in the main PreMedAllo forum to attract the appropriate expertise. Consider a thread title like, "AMCAS Investigation over Military Discharge Confusion. Please Help."

This being a rare situation, I suggest you repost in a new thread in the main PreMedAllo forum to attract the appropriate expertise. Consider a thread title like, "AMCAS Investigation over Military Discharge Confusion. Please Help."
actually while AAMC investigation is rare, they are mostly over confusion and/or inconsistency. this case sounds like both. I would write a detailed explaination with a separate detailed chronological outline along with copies of appropriate documents. You can call them first and speak to "investigating officer" (dont get freaked by name). I really think this will be easily cleared up.

start with "I believe this is a simple confusion over my atypical military status as I have gone from Nat'l Guard to active army reserve to IRR. While I did receive a D214 discharge I have remained "enlisted" as I still an in the IRR, hence my military status is ambiguous. Here is are my discharge papers as well as my IRR notice. Thank you for your attention in this matter"

btw your are techically discharged as I believe you have sign/swear if they call you up. However you are still subject to UCMJ (uniform code of military justice) so refusal to activate if called upon would get you a courts martial. very ambigious

now drop and give me 20 solider

I know the ideal secondary turnaround is <2 weeks.

However, when schools receive our secondaries, do they look at our AMCAS verification to compare our turnaround to other students or is it simply the earlier the better?

For instance, if I spend 1 month while another student spends 2 weeks on a secondary but they were verified on AMCAS 2 weeks after me (thus turning it in the same day), are we "even" or does the school take into account my slower essay turnaround?

I know this is not that relevant since most students submit their primary on the first day but I am just curious :p

I know the ideal secondary turnaround is <2 weeks.

However, when schools receive our secondaries, do they look at our AMCAS verification to compare our turnaround to other students or is it simply the earlier the better?

For instance, if I spend 1 month while another student spends 2 weeks on a secondary but they were verified on AMCAS 2 weeks after me (thus turning it in the same day), are we "even" or does the school take into account my slower essay turnaround?

I know this is not that relevant since most students submit their primary on the first day but I am just curious :p
Schools will have an internal log of when each action or response was applied to your file.

If it takes you a month to return a Secondary which had instructions to return it in 2 weeks, you are hardly going to be perceived as eager and interested in that school.

Schools will have an internal log of when each action or response was applied to your file.

If it takes you a month to return a Secondary which had instructions to return it in 2 weeks, you are hardly going to be perceived as eager and interested in that school.

I would just add that "factor" seems very minor in deliberations

Hello people,
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I have a general question about secondaries. How important is it to complete the secondaries immediately, I mean it's not realistic to get back within 48 hours or whatever especially if you are working full time. I am seeing some folks finish it even on the same day. Most of us apply to many schools and it becomes hard to turn everything back within days. What's a realistic and reasonable time to complete them.
Thanks so much!

Hello people,
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I have a general question about secondaries. How important is it to complete the secondaries immediately, I mean it's not realistic to get back within 48 hours or whatever especially if you are working full time. I am seeing some folks finish it even on the same day. Most of us apply to many schools and it becomes hard to turn everything back within days. What's a realistic and reasonable time to complete them.
Thanks so much!
Two weeks is a reasonable timeframe. Longer is unlikely hurt you if a return time isn't specified.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

For an essay on additional info on a secondary , would it be ok to talk about a very meaningful experience from one of my ECs that I could not talk about in the primary due to lack of space .

Thanks!

Transcript Entry Q:
I took a summer class at a community college, which credit transferred to my 4-year university. Therefore, the course appeared on both transcripts. Do I enter the course two times, or just once?

If I took three quarters of ochem at one school, did poorly, and then took the equivalent three quarters of ochem at another school and did well, is that considered a repeated course?

Also, if I took a reading seminar at the same school with the same course number twice but it was about a different book each time, is that considered a repeated course?

1. I went to a quarter system university. When I enter transcript on AMCAS, do I need to manually convert my credit hours to semester system? or can I just go with quarter credit hours and indicated it was during one of the quarter terms?
2. How important is the "disadvantaged" statement? I would like to know how adcom view that statement. I am wondering if we need to write it like personal statement tone or simply explain our disadvantaged background.

Ok, so just came across a Q with AP credit. My ug college did not accept all of my AP credit/it doesn't show up on the transcript, but I know that for many other schools in my area and the country those scores would have counted. Is there a way to still have that count for me if it is not on my ug transcript? The only thing I could think of was to have to added to the school I took some summer classes at, but I'm afraid that might take a while and I was trying to apply tonight.

I have a strange question. I noticed a small error in my AMCAS application where I listed my major as Bachelors of Science instead of Bachelors of Liberal Arts and Science. How damaging will this error be on my application? How would you suggest I proceed? Would it be best to contact admissions offices and let them know of my error?

actually while AAMC investigation is rare, they are mostly over confusion and/or inconsistency. this case sounds like both. I would write a detailed explaination with a separate detailed chronological outline along with copies of appropriate documents. You can call them first and speak to "investigating officer" (dont get freaked by name). I really think this will be easily cleared up.

start with "I believe this is a simple confusion over my atypical military status as I have gone from Nat'l Guard to active army reserve to IRR. While I did receive a D214 discharge I have remained "enlisted" as I still an in the IRR, hence my military status is ambiguous. Here is are my discharge papers as well as my IRR notice. Thank you for your attention in this matter"

btw your are techically discharged as I believe you have sign/swear if they call you up. However you are still subject to UCMJ (uniform code of military justice) so refusal to activate if called upon would get you a courts martial. very ambigious

now drop and give me 20 solider

Thanks! This is exactly what I ended up doing, and the investigation was dropped immediately. The rational part of me knew all along this would be the outcome, but the application process amplifies every possible hiccup to "worst case scenario" anxiety.

If I took three quarters of ochem at one school, did poorly, and then took the equivalent three quarters of ochem at another school and did well, is that considered a repeated course?

Also, if I took a reading seminar at the same school with the same course number twice but it was about a different book each time, is that considered a repeated course?

Yes for the first
No for the second as it is a course intended to be repeated

1. I went to a quarter system university. When I enter transcript on AMCAS, do I need to manually convert my credit hours to semester system? or can I just go with quarter credit hours and indicated it was during one of the quarter terms?

You go with what is on your transcript (quarters); AMCAS will do the conversion

2. How important is the "disadvantaged" statement? I would like to know how adcom view that statement. I am wondering if we need to write it like personal statement tone or simply explain our disadvantaged background.

I have seen it both ways. Do it the way you feel best describes your background

Ok, so just came across a Q with AP credit. My ug college did not accept all of my AP credit/it doesn't show up on the transcript, but I know that for many other schools in my area and the country those scores would have counted. Is there a way to still have that count for me if it is not on my ug transcript? The only thing I could think of was to have to added to the school I took some summer classes at, but I'm afraid that might take a while and I was trying to apply tonight.

No, it only matters if a school gives you credit; you cannot apply the credit yourself. If you try, you may trigger an investigation and AMCAS rejection

I have a strange question. I noticed a small error in my AMCAS application where I listed my major as Bachelors of Science instead of Bachelors of Liberal Arts and Science. How damaging will this error be on my application? How would you suggest I proceed? Would it be best to contact admissions offices and let them know of my error?

No, just leave it alone. The schools really dont care of the degree listing or major. They will see your courses.

Hi all,

Were you in the active National Guard? Because typically reservists don't receive a DD214, as it is a release from active duty--reserves is not active duty, since IADT time doesn't count. Additionally, under title 32 of the USC (Sec. 101), full-time Guard service and activation under title 10 do not count as active duty military service. So while you served in the Guard and reserve capacity, you technically weren't active duty and therefore weren't discharged to veteran status. I'd just send them the USC. They'll probably understand your confusion.

This question might be broader than AMCAS, but not sure where else to ask.

My immediate family situation growing up was complicated. Both of my biological parents were heavy drug users, abusive, and would disappear for random periods of time. After elementary school I moved in with and was raised by family friends who knew my parents situation. Because of this, they have always been who I think of and refer to when talking about family ("my mom/my dad/my older brother"). I didn't think much of this until I started pre-writing secondary questions. In a couple of essays, I wrote about how my brothers medical issues impacted my decision to become a physician. Is there somewhere I need to make a note that my parents/brother in my essay aren't my biological relatives? I just really don't want to get into my biological parents issues in my application. I know that it's a part of who I am, but I don't feel like it's relevant to my passion for medicine and I also don't want to be framed in that box.

My premed advisor once told me that if I didn't want to bring it up for discussion in an interview, I shouldn't write about it in the application. Your parents/family are those who fulfilled that role for you, so write it that way. They are your family, and I think you can regard them as such in your application.

No, it only matters if a school gives you credit; you cannot apply the credit yourself. If you try, you may trigger an investigation and AMCAS rejection

Right, but I took some summer courses at another institution that did accept more of my credit. I was thinking about having the credit sent to that school so that the transcript from that school will show it. The problem is that I am trying to submit the application today, and I think it's not worth to postpone more just to get one or two more AP credits to show up, right?

Right, but I took some summer courses at another institution that did accept more of my credit. I was thinking about having the credit sent to that school so that the transcript from that school will show it. The problem is that I am trying to submit the application today, and I think it's not worth to postpone more just to get one or two more AP credits to show up, right?

1) submit your application today, ignore the AP for the reason
2) continue the AP credit with the summer school place, especially if any are for prereqs as they are checked by the med schools after you have been accepted and from official transcripts not from AMCAS

1) submit your application today, ignore the AP for the reason
2) continue the AP credit with the summer school place, especially if any are for prereqs as they are checked by the med schools after you have been accepted and from official transcripts not from AMCAS

Thank you for the advice! Do you think it would also be worth it to be maybe send updated transcript to all the schools i'm applying to once I have it?

This question might be broader than AMCAS, but not sure where else to ask.

My immediate family situation growing up was complicated. Both of my biological parents were heavy drug users, abusive, and would disappear for random periods of time. After elementary school I moved in with and was raised by family friends who knew my parents situation. Because of this, they have always been who I think of and refer to when talking about family ("my mom/my dad/my older brother"). I didn't think much of this until I started pre-writing secondary questions. In a couple of essays, I wrote about how my brothers medical issues impacted my decision to become a physician. Is there somewhere I need to make a note that my parents/brother in my essay aren't my biological relatives? I just really don't want to get into my biological parents issues in my application. I know that it's a part of who I am, but I don't feel like it's relevant to my passion for medicine and I also don't want to be framed in that box.

But it is relevant to the characteristics of who you are. You should be accurate in your application and make a one sentence note as you stated above as you raised by friends of family and refer to them as mom/dad not your biological parents

My premed advisor once told me that if I didn't want to bring it up for discussion in an interview, I shouldn't write about it in the application. Your parents/family are those who fulfilled that role for you, so write it that way. They are your family, and I think you can regard them as such in your application.

While this is true, you can run into the situation where confusion over say biological parents over those who raised you at an interview, which becomes an awkward time to explain it.

While the applicant is certainly no obligation to discuss the birth parents, the applicant's integrity can be questioned by using "mom/dad" without noting they are not biological parents

Thank you for the advice! Do you think it would also be worth it to be maybe send updated transcript to all the schools i'm applying to once I have it?

No, not necessary. Having a few AP updates is just above "nothing" and not worthy by itself. If you have other items to update, you can include it then. When you get accepted, you will be required to send official transcripts directly to the school anyway

But it is relevant to the characteristics of who you are. You should be accurate in your application and make a one sentence note as you stated above as you raised by friends of family and refer to them as mom/dad not your biological parents

While this is true, you can run into the situation where confusion over say biological parents over those who raised you at an interview, which becomes an awkward time to explain it.

While the applicant is certainly no obligation to discuss the birth parents, the applicant's integrity can be questioned by using "mom/dad" without noting they are not biological parents

Thanks @O.T.I. and @gonnif . If I were to include that, do you have any suggestion on where it could go? The secondary essays where I wrote about my brothers illness don't have very long character limits, and I'm not sure how I would fit all of that into a response as well as actually answering the question. Also I briefly mentioned it in my PS. Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Thanks @O.T.I. and @gonnif . If I were to include that, do you have any suggestion on where it could go? The secondary essays where I wrote about my brothers illness don't have very long character limits, and I'm not sure how I would fit all of that into a response as well as actually answering the question. Also I briefly mentioned it in my PS. Any ideas would be really appreciated.
Maybe mention it in one place, so that you have what to allude to in case they bring it up?

Maybe mention it in one place, so that you have what to allude to in case they bring it up?

My immediate family situation growing up was complicated. Both of my biological parents were heavy drug users, abusive, and would disappear for random periods of time. After elementary school I moved in with and was raised by family friends who knew my parents situation. Because of this, they have always been who I think of and refer to when talking about family ("my mom/my dad/my older brother").

Tighten the above phrase to a 1-2 sentences and just include it somewhere in your secondary (I would have had you include ii in primary)

Thank you so much to everyone who has been answering my questions, and sorry that I have so many but I have another... I was looking at my received letters in AMCAS and I have titles for all my recommenders, but I guess I forgot to include "Dr." for one of them. It seems like I cannot change it now. Is the only way to edit this to delete it and re-send?

Thank you so much to everyone who has been answering my questions, and sorry that I have so many but I have another... I was looking at my received letters in AMCAS and I have titles for all my recommenders, but I guess I forgot to include "Dr." for one of them. It seems like I cannot change it now. Is the only way to edit this to delete it and re-send?

Yes, but I wouldnt worry about it

If I was in an accelerated MPH program in undergrad (I just graduated and I started my MPH in conjunction with my fourth year and will finish it next year) this will count as no transcript required (I'm guessing) because of this option, "Multiple Degree or Consortium/Cross Registration Program with no separate transcript available." right? Because it is not completely "future coursework" b/c some of the classes are included in my undergraduate transcript. This is what I have right now but I just want to make sure. Thank you!!

If I was in an accelerated MPH program in undergrad (I just graduated and I started my MPH in conjunction with my fourth year and will finish it next year) this will count as no transcript required (I'm guessing) because of this option, "Multiple Degree or Consortium/Cross Registration Program with no separate transcript available." right? Because it is not completely "future coursework" b/c some of the classes are included in my undergraduate transcript. This is what I have right now but I just want to make sure. Thank you!!
that would seem to make sense

Submitted 15 June. Still not verified... anyone else in a similar situation?
i wouldnt start being concerned until after july 15 and i wouldnt be seriously worried until after july 30. there is a verification thread you should look at

Idk if someone already asked this, but when I request a transcript, what address of AMCAS should I put in?

Quick question, for my primaries, should I be listing courses that I plan on taking in my senior year?

Idk if someone already asked this, but when I request a transcript, what address of AMCAS should I put in?
Mail paper transcripts to: AMCAS, attn: Transcripts, AAMC Medical School Application Services, P.O. Box 57326, Washington, DC 20037.

I'm in the final stages of finishing my primary and have listed these courses under "biology" since content wise they were about 50% psych, 50% bio from my experience, is it likely that AMCAS would reclassify them as BESS instead? i'm not sure what to put them under :/

cognitive psychology
perceptual development
research in developmental psychology

Status
Not open for further replies.