*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how do you check the status of your application once you submit it? Does each school notify you when they get your app (1 of my schools notified me), but I'm not sure if every school sends an email... is there a way to check on the app?
Once the app is transmitted from AMCAS to the schools, there is no centralized manner to check your application status at each school. It is entirely up to you to check at each and every school by whatever method the school has determined. It is up to you to find out what that is and all school specific deadlines are up to you to find out and fulfill.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDN,

One of my letter writers didn't put her signature on the letter, and I got an email from a school about it. She re-uploaded the letter with a signature last week.

Will schools automatically get the updated letter or do I resend the letters to my schools somehow??

There is nothing you need to do to resend it. You must, however, check with the school that it has been received; I suggest you check with all schools

Reactions: 1 user
so I plan on retaking my MCAT. Can schools give me an acceptance letter (assuming they really like me) without having the score for my retake? Or will they only give me the acceptance after my retake is complete. Because I know they can give secondaries out prior to the retake right?

I suggest you first consider whether you will get reviewed first prior to considering acceptance. If you told a school that you have a planned retake, AAMC guidelines suggest they do not review your application until new score is received. Some schools may wait, others may review you, though it is unlikely you will get a final review for acceptance without the new score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest you first consider whether you will get reviewed first prior to considering acceptance. If you told a school that you have a planned retake, AAMC guidelines suggest they do not review your application until new score is received. Some schools may wait, others may review you, though it is unlikely you will get a final review for acceptance without the new score.

What if our score is released in early August, but we still want to retake for better score in January, could we still notify the schools for retake ?

Thanks

Put it as it appears on transcript.

I just noticed that one of the courses are called : The Introduction to Developmental, Social, Personality,Clinical Psychology

but I was only able to input it as: Developmental, Social, Personality,Clinical Psychology because of space issues, would there be a problem?

Okay so I took the mcat in June and got my score and wasn't happy. I plan on taking in August and I have updated my application so the schools know this. So my question is this - will the schools consider my application before my August mcat score is released to them? will they wait? or is each school different? Also will they give me secondaries before waiting for my August score or will they wait or is each school different? (assuming I met the minimum requirements with my previous mcat)...

What if our score is released in early August, but we still want to retake for better score in January, could we still notify the schools for retake ?

Thanks

I have a weird question:

in the middle of my third year, I have a two full year courses and according to AMCAS , in the middle of the two semesters I have to declare and separate junior year from senior, I wanted to get feedback regarding this.

"If you are enrolled as a full-time, continuous undergraduate at an institution, you should usually change your Year in School after every 2 semesters, 3-4 quarters, or 2-3 trimesters"

Although I finished my undergrad without interruption, I thought this could help, but would it be fine if I assign FR,SO,JR,SR, using the rule above?

High School (HS)

College-level coursework taken while in high school

Freshman (FR)

0-35 semester hours

Sophomore (SO)

36-65 semester hours

Junior (JR)

66-95 semester hours

Senior (SR)

96+ semester hours

Last edited:
I know that the name of course must be exactly what it appears on transcript, what would you suggest for such a long course description and according to AMCAS advise:

"Enter designations for all of your lab coursework exactly as they appear on the official transcript. If the lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, append the phrase "and Lab" to the exact course title as it appears on the official transcript. For example, if "General Chemistry II" appears on the official transcript and lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, enter "General Chemistry II and Lab" and select "Combined Lecture and Lab" in response to the question"

What do u suggest for this course description:

"Structural Chemistry, with Applications to Chemistry of the Elements"
This course includes the lab as well! so I dont know how to input it so that it I can include the lab as well.

In the work/activities section, do people generally add in Dr./MD/PhD to the contact name? "Dr. John" for first name and "Doe, PhD" for last name?

Don't put Dr before the first name if you are including a doctoral-level degree in the Title space. Use one or the other.

I entered "Principal Investigator" for research-related activities and "Attending Physician" for clinical experiences. Is this correct, and would both Dr. and MD/PhD be redundant in both cases? Thanks for your help!

I entered "Principal Investigator" for research-related activities and "Attending Physician" for clinical experiences.
1) Is this correct, and
2) would both Dr. and MD/PhD be redundant in both cases?
1) Yes.
2) Yes.

I suggest First Name: John. Last name: Doe, PhD. Title: Principle Investigator. You'll see when you check the PDF Print View that it will read Contact Name and Title: John Doe, PhD, Principle Investigator. Same would go for an MD who is an Attending Physician.

1) Yes.
2) Yes.

I suggest First Name: John. Last name: Doe, PhD. Title: Principle Investigator. You'll see when you check the PDF Print View that it will read Contact Name and Title: John Doe, PhD, Principle Investigator. Same would go for an MD who is an Attending Physician.

What about if we have put neurologist or pathologist ,can we still have for example Dr. Stephen as the contact name

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear @Catalystik

I have a weird question:

in my third year, I have a two full year courses and according to AMCAS ,

"If you are enrolled as a full-time, continuous undergraduate at an institution, you should usually change your Year in School after every 2 semesters, 3-4 quarters, or 2-3 trimesters"

What if the two semesters dont add up having 35 credit hours, can we still enter FR until they add up to 35? or should I just go by every 2 semesters I go from FR to SO

Although I finished my undergrad without interruption, I thought this could help, but would it be fine if I assign FR,SO,JR,SR, using the rule above?

Dear @Catalystik

I have a weird question:

What if the two semesters dont add up having 35 credit hours, can we still enter FR until they add up to 35? or should I just go by every 2 semesters I go from FR to SO

I will leave it to @gonnif to respond to your question.

Dear @Catalystik

The answer is you can do it either way: 1) By Credit 2) By Time. AMCAS itself doesnt care. The question is which represents the most accurate way that you want the schools to see you as? I suggest "real years" or time for most students as this reflects what schools want; how you did each year in school

The answer is you can do it either way: 1) By Credit 2) By Time. AMCAS itself doesnt care. The question is which represents the most accurate way that you want the schools to see you as? I suggest "real years" or time for most students as this reflects what schools want; how you did each year in school

Thanks so much for the response.

Dear @Catalystik or @gonnif

I know that the name of course must be exactly what it appears on transcript, what would you suggest for such a long course description

This course includes the lab as well! so I dont know how to input it so that it I can include the lab as well.

and according to AMCAS advise:

"Enter designations for all of your lab coursework exactly as they appear on the official transcript. If the lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, append the phrase "and Lab" to the exact course title as it appears on the official transcript. For example, if "General Chemistry II" appears on the official transcript and lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, enter "General Chemistry II and Lab" and select "Combined Lecture and Lab" in response to the question"

What do u suggest for this course description?

Dear @Catalystik or @gonnif

I know that the name of course must be exactly what it appears on transcript, what would you suggest for such a long course description

and according to AMCAS advise:

What do u suggest for this course description?
Structural chemistry w/lab

Is there a way to print out a PDF copy of the your AMCAS application before submitting it?

Also if you select one activity as MMA (check the box) can you UNCHECK it or do you have to delete that entry all together ifyou change your mind?

Seems to me that I can't de-select the box and have to delete the entire entry!

I know some schools have a maximum amount of letters of recommendation that they will accept. For those schools that don't have a maximum, how many letters is too many?

Also if you select one activity as MMA (check the box) can you UNCHECK it or do you have to delete that entry all together ifyou change your mind?

Seems to me that I can't de-select the box and have to delete the entire entry!

No, you can deselect but you will lose anything you have written in the MMA description box not the whole activity/ I have done that before, if you are afraid the system might get weird, just copy and paste the description of your activity and then after you deselect the MMA, if it is erased just paste it back, but if u uncheck the box , you wont lose the whole thing about that activity!

I am so desperate for a RESPECTABLE SDN person (with a few hundred posts and some good experience / writing ) to read my activity descriptions? A lot of ppl are on vacations or getting for school.

I would really appreciate anyone with some editing skills and such :)

I have two speeding tickets around a decade old that may or may not be classified as misdemeanors in the state they were "earned". Any suggestions on how to get a good background check? I understand I can do one through Certiphi AFTER an acceptance, but I have spent hours sifting through crap online and it's hard to tell what a good service is for this. Suggestions appreciated.

Alternatively, I can list two tickets in AMCAS with a wide date range and explain that I don't know when I got them nor if they are on my record. I have no desire to lie here. That said, listing nebulous misdemeanors that aren't even on my record seems self-defeating. To clarify, neither was of a reckless variety or anything close to it. Ohio is just a special snowflake.

Advice? Experience? Old threads exist but haven't been all that informative.

For those of you who received a secondary - how quickly did you submit it after receiving? What's a good turn around time? 1 week? Couple days? Same day? Obviously the sooner is better but would you guys consider a "good/quick" response?

My amcas was verified 3 business days ago (in the early morning) and I submitted ~10 secondaries within 2 hours after I got verified, but none of these schools have received my LORs yet even though amcas received them (and I've assigned them to these schools) a long time ago. Should I be worried and call amcas to ask?

Dear @gonif
I was wondering whether the admission committee would see the paragraphs of PS the same way as the printed PDF version looks

Last edited:
So my AMCAS application is verified and I realized I only selected the radio button to indicate labs for coursework, but didn't append "and lab" to the course titles. Is this going to be an issue?

I exceed the credit range that qualifies you as a freshman in my freshman year and sophomore in my sophomore year. Should I follow the credit range to judge whether I am a freshman or sophomore, or should I go by semester?

I have a total of 154 credits, so that is way beyond the 96 credits they expect. I'm not really sure what to do

I exceed the credit range that qualifies you as a freshman in my freshman year and sophomore in my sophomore year. Should I follow the credit range to judge whether I am a freshman or sophomore, or should I go by semester?

I have a total of 154 credits, so that is way beyond the 96 credits they expect. I'm not really sure what to do

You can do it either way : either counting credits (which would make you have 2 senior years) or by "real" status. So you can have a huge freshman year of credit and the rest normal. I find that that adcoms prefer the latter as it more accurately reflects the college experience. But you can do it either way

So my AMCAS application is verified and I realized I only selected the radio button to indicate labs for coursework, but didn't append "and lab" to the course titles. Is this going to be an issue?

Not really. The "and lab" is used to make the AMCAS transcript more standardized across applicants so schools have an easier time comparing. But the AMCAS transcript is NOT used for checking prereq fulfillment so it doesnt present any major issue.

And even if it did, really too late to do anything about it

Dear @gonif
I was wondering whether the admission committee would see the paragraphs of PS the same way as the printed PDF version looks

So will, some wont.

AMCAS is transmitted as plain text to schools who usually print it out as PDF at their end. But some do not.

BTW, it is all sent in plain text and is "washed" of any other formatting to remove any possible hidden coding to tamper with the system

My amcas was verified 3 business days ago (in the early morning) and I submitted ~10 secondaries within 2 hours after I got verified, but none of these schools have received my LORs yet even though amcas received them (and I've assigned them to these schools) a long time ago. Should I be worried and call amcas to ask?

AMCAS doesnt forward letters to schools until your application is transmitted.

Will all my letters be sent to the medical school at the same time?

AMCAS does not "hold" letters until all are received. Any of your letters that arrive at AMCAS while your application is being processed will be sent to your designated medical schools along with your application once your application has been processed. Letters that get to AMCAS after your application has been processed will be made available to your designated schools as soon as they are received.

For those of you who received a secondary - how quickly did you submit it after receiving? What's a good turn around time? 1 week? Couple days? Same day? Obviously the sooner is better but would you guys consider a "good/quick" response?

Can I suggest it needs to be both good AND quick. A few days is very quick. A few weeks is fine. Quality not speed will get you accepted

I have two speeding tickets around a decade old that may or may not be classified as misdemeanors in the state they were "earned". Any suggestions on how to get a good background check? I understand I can do one through Certiphi AFTER an acceptance, but I have spent hours sifting through crap online and it's hard to tell what a good service is for this. Suggestions appreciated.

Alternatively, I can list two tickets in AMCAS with a wide date range and explain that I don't know when I got them nor if they are on my record. I have no desire to lie here. That said, listing nebulous misdemeanors that aren't even on my record seems self-defeating. To clarify, neither was of a reckless variety or anything close to it. Ohio is just a special snowflake.

Advice? Experience? Old threads exist but haven't been all that informative.

Personally, even though by all technical definitions if they are misdemeanors they should be listed, I wouldnt worry about them. If they show up on the background check, it will say speeding/moving violation and even if you are asked to explain, it is highly unlikely that it would be an issue

Last edited:
I know some schools have a maximum amount of letters of recommendation that they will accept. For those schools that don't have a maximum, how many letters is too many?

3-5 is reasonable. 4-6 is stretching at 6.

3-4 professors/1-2 PI
1-2 "character" if truly applicable

most shadowing letters are NOT worth sending

I am so desperate for a RESPECTABLE SDN person (with a few hundred posts and some good experience / writing ) to read my activity descriptions? A lot of ppl are on vacations or getting for school.

I would really appreciate anyone with some editing skills and such :)

Well that rules me out

Quick question

I was just notified a few weeks ago that I am required to take a graduate course through my research institution this fall. However, when I submitted my application (7/17) I didn't know about it or the details until the week after. I just got processed by AMCAS and received the email. I immediately submitted an academic change request but it says I will be required to write a letter that I omitted a school? I haven't even started at the school yet. Does anyone know what this is about and how it will affect my application?

Quick question

I was just notified a few weeks ago that I am required to take a graduate course through my research institution this fall. However, when I submitted my application (7/17) I didn't know about it or the details until the week after. I just got processed by AMCAS and received the email. I immediately submitted an academic change request but it says I will be required to write a letter that I omitted a school? I haven't even started at the school yet. Does anyone know what this is about and how it will affect my application?

You didnt know about this when you submitted and therefore you had no obligation to update this on AMCAS
You havent started the school, so it is a future plan and therefore you not obligated to provide this information

Has you AMCAS primary been transmitted to schools? Or is it being held? If it has been transmitted simply inform each medical school directly on a secondary or with a short update note. And again, it is not required to do so. You can simply do so at schools if/when you an interview.

If your AMCAS is on hold, withdraw your academic change request and get this app moving!!!!!!!!!!

Hello @gonnif

For submitting secondaries, I know that I should try to finish them ASAP after receiving them. But writing them is taking longer than I expected. What date do you recommend as a reasonable deadline for submitting them? perhaps end of august? Would I be considered "late" if I did that?

Hello @gonnif

For submitting secondaries, I know that I should try to finish them ASAP after receiving them. But writing them is taking longer than I expected. What date do you recommend as a reasonable deadline for submitting them? perhaps end of august? Would I be considered "late" if I did that?

You get into medical school by writing high-quality, well-thought out secondaries that are concise, coherent, and compelling narratives not rushed, frantic, cut poorly written submissions. So therefore you take the time you need. Generally, most adcoms here say being complete by Labor Day is best. I would say that is optimal for not having any timing working against you. I would also say that mid-late September would not be a major negative impact. So you need it both good and fast.

If you get your secondaries and files complete by end of August you will be fine

You didnt know about this when you submitted and therefore you had no obligation to update this on AMCAS
You havent started the school, so it is a future plan and therefore you not obligated to provide this information

Has you AMCAS primary been transmitted to schools? Or is it being held? If it has been transmitted simply inform each medical school directly on a secondary or with a short update note. And again, it is not required to do so. You can simply do so at schools if/when you an interview.

If your AMCAS is on hold, withdraw your academic change request and get this app moving!!!!!!!!!!
Okay perfect. Yeah exactly I had no idea of it and the course list wasn't released until after I submitted, etc. etc.

I think it has been submitted! It says "AMCAS processing is complete" and I don't see anything that it's being held. 8/11 is already pushing it on the late margin, yeah?

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, so please excuse me.

How would I enter in a second bachelor's degree? would I select post-bacc or senior year when I am entering in my transcripts?

Thanks again,

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, so please excuse me.

How would I enter in a second bachelor's degree? would I select post-bacc or senior year when I am entering in my transcripts?

Thanks again,
postbacc.

any undergraduate after you have earned a bachelors is postbacc

Status
Not open for further replies.