*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't really want to make a thread, so I'll just ask here if that's okay.

So I submitted my primary and got verified back in June/July. I've also submitted all of my secondaries. In preparation for an interview, I was going back through my primary and I noticed that I miswrote the end date for my Research activity, so that it indicates that I did research for one year instead of two.

Is this something that you think I should email schools about, at least the ones that I haven't heard back from yet? I did get a letter of rec from my PI and I'm sure he mentioned the actual length of time, but I don't know if I should point it out to the schools that I haven't heard back from. I'm a little worried that this little mistake might be affecting perceptions of me as an applicant, particularly at some of these more research oriented schools.

:(

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't really want to make a thread, so I'll just ask here if that's okay.

So I submitted my primary and got verified back in June/July. I've also submitted all of my secondaries. In preparation for an interview, I was going back through my primary and I noticed that I miswrote the end date for my Research activity, so that it indicates that I did research for one year instead of two.

Is this something that you think I should email schools about, at least the ones that I haven't heard back from yet? I did get a letter of rec from my PI and I'm sure he mentioned the actual length of time, but I don't know if I should point it out to the schools that I haven't heard back from. I'm a little worried that this little mistake might be affecting perceptions of me as an applicant, particularly at some of these more research oriented schools.

:(
Any advice, anyone? :bag:

Members don't see this ad :)
at this point it will not matter.
Alright. Do you think I should at least mention it if research comes up in interviews, or not even bother?

I just feel like the difference in perception of 1 year vs 2 years of research is so strong. Why do 5 and 6 have to look so similar! :smack:

Alright. Do you think I should at least mention it if research comes up in interviews, or not even bother?

I just feel like the difference in perception of 1 year vs 2 years of research is so strong. Why do 5 and 6 have to look so similar! :smack:

Its worth mentioning at interview

Reactions: 1 user
If I sent an additional letter of recommendation after I received a complete email for my secondary, should I email the school and let them know?

What exactly do you mean by this?

Ok, assume most schools may simply get the letter, add it to file, and at some point in the process it will be read and considered which can be either pre or post interview. Some will simply discard the new material or never add it to file However, for schools that are sticklers for following their defined process, you have a complete file and in the queue to be reviewed but new material shows up. They should, by process, pull your file from the review queue, reopen the file, add the new letter, and now mark file complete at the new date and put you back at the bottom of the review queue. In other words, you have selected to lose your place in line by being out of process

For the coursework section, it asks to designate freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior. If I didn't graduate in the typical 4 years and my transcript has gaps in between, then how do I decide which semesters I am a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior.

Ok, assume most schools may simply get the letter, add it to file, and at some point in the process it will be read and considered which can be either pre or post interview. Some will simply discard the new material or never add it to file However, for schools that are sticklers for following their defined process, you have a complete file and in the queue to be reviewed but new material shows up. They should, by process, pull your file from the review queue, reopen the file, add the new letter, and now mark file complete at the new date and put you back at the bottom of the review queue. In other words, you have selected to lose your place in line by being out of process
Are you positive? Even adding an update of activity requeues you? That doesn't quite make sense. Is that the same for all the schools?

Btw, if I submit the additional recommendation letter through AMCAS, how long does it take for AMCAS to submit it to all the schools?

Are you positive? Even adding an update of activity requeues you? That doesn't quite make sense. Is that the same for all the schools?

Btw, if I submit the additional recommendation letter through AMCAS, how long does it take for AMCAS to submit it to all the schools?

Adding a new letter of recommendation, which being submitted by a third party on behalf of an applicant and is formally part of the application process, is different then an applicant submitting his/her own update on activities, which is entirely informal

AMCAS will submit the letter to the schools within 1 business day

Adding a new letter of recommendation, which being submitted by a third party on behalf of an applicant and is formally part of the application process, is different then an applicant submitting his/her own update on activities, which is entirely informal

Thank you!

Last edited:

Sorry another question, is the one business day an empirical estimate or official policy from AMCAS?

Thank you!
Do you know if we have to submit the letter through AMCAS? Or we the letter writer just email it as a supplemental update?

third party direct update?

first of all a third party should be a formal LOR.
second updates should come from you
third that assumes a school likes updates
notice there isnt a third party "update" as its entirely out of process. all schools are now part of AMCAS Letter system. accepting third party direct updates likely violates their agreement

third party direct update?

first of all a third party should be a formal LOR.
second updates should come from you
third that assumes a school likes updates
notice there isnt a third party "update" as its entirely out of process. all schools are now part of AMCAS Letter system. accepting third party direct updates likely violates their agreement
I see. thank you!

Also, my friend said I should go ahead and just submit my application to 1 random school(not planning to attend), so that I am verified on AMCAS. Once that happens, I can just add all the schools I want to attend on my app once I recieved my MCAT score. So what's the differnce between no sending the application to 1 random school(not planning to attend) vs sending it to all the schools I am planning to attend but when my scores come out(Mid-July).

One word, verification.

Status
Not open for further replies.