*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm going to be doing a Master's program next year, do I add that to "schools attended" or not? Thanks!

I believe you can (see below). But what masters are you going for? SMP? MPH?

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p19)In addition, list any degrees that you earned or anticipate earning
while attending the school(s) as well as yourmajor(s) and minor(s).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks! I haven't decided yet but either an SMP or a Masters in Anatomy. Why?

Your not gonna like my answer. Entering into a masters while actively applying to medical school may not make the best sense

1) SMP: If you need an SMP to increase your chances, applying before you have a successful year doesnt seem to provide the evidence you need .
2) MPH: They are not a academic steeping stone to medical school and you may need 2 years to finish. Many medical schools may not want to take you until they are certain that you finish before you matriculate into MD
3) Other masters: These typically do not help much in GPA, raise questions of motivation, commitment and direction, and also need to finsih as above

Members don't see this ad :)
My question has not been answered yet. My question was this:

Very easy question:

When I enter the course type, are there about 20 choices or about 150 choices? The Course Classification Guide has about 20 big categories (e.g. "Foreign Languages, Linguistics, and Literature" is just one of the 20), but it has about 150 smaller categories (e.g. "Foreign Language" and "Linguistics" are two separate smaller categories out of 150).

More specifically, do I select "Cell Biology" (smaller category) or "Biology (BIOL)" (bigger font category)?

It is in the AMCAS instructions as well as other places

I must politely point out that it is not stated anywhere in that PDF. I see that page, but there are two types of categories, there are about 20 big font categories (e.g. "Biology (BIOL)") and then there are about 150 smaller font categories (e.g. "Cell Biology"). When I actually fill out the AMCAS, do I choose small font categories (150 items in the list) or big font categories (20 items in the list)? If I had access, I would know the answer. The PDF you linked does not say and the videos are out of date.

Thank you.

I'm just getting started on my application, and am a bit confused on how to fill out the "Schools Attended" section based on my post-bac classes. For example, I graduated May 2015 but then stayed for the summer to take additional classes to raise my GPA. Do I need to enter that school again, this time under post-bac category? Similarly, I took calculus I at a community college and had it transfer over for credit towards my degree, then after graduating I took an EMT-B class at that same community college. Do I also need to enter this school twice since the EMT-B class was after I received my BS? Or is the post-bac category only for actual/formal programs?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Your not gonna like my answer. Entering into a masters while actively applying to medical school may not make the best sense

1) SMP: If you need an SMP to increase your chances, applying before you have a successful year doesnt seem to provide the evidence you need .
2) MPH: They are not a academic steeping stone to medical school and you may need 2 years to finish. Many medical schools may not want to take you until they are certain that you finish before you matriculate into MD
3) Other masters: These typically do not help much in GPA, raise questions of motivation, commitment and direction, and also need to finsih as above

I understand and appreciate the insight. I know that the Masters program I applied to has favorable admission to their medical school even if you apply the year of as long as you do well, so I'm hoping to get into there. Also, I'm trying my best to go to an SMP that follows the same idea.

Does anyone know what I should do for future coursework if it is for a graduate program? I do not have a transcript for this school yet at all because it is a one year master's (continuing from undergrad)... how do I tell AMCAS that so the system doesn't yell at me when I try to submit??

Each MCAT attempt must be filled out, correct?

I must politely point out that it is not stated anywhere in that PDF. I see that page, but there are two types of categories, there are about 20 big font categories (e.g. "Biology (BIOL)") and then there are about 150 smaller font categories (e.g. "Cell Biology"). When I actually fill out the AMCAS, do I choose small font categories (150 items in the list) or big font categories (20 items in the list)? If I had access, I would know the answer. The PDF you linked does not say and the videos are out of date.

This is where you use your judgement. You can use the large BIOL category or use the sub category if they clearly fit it. In the end, it will not matter as the schools will see it as BCPM or AO (all other).

You can find the AMCAS 2017 Instruction Manual from this shortened URL: http://bit.ly/AMCAS17
(p40)Course Classification Guide
The following guide provides examples of how course are often categorized. Please select course classifications based on the primary content of the course.

Each MCAT attempt must be filled out, correct?

Yes you should as all MCAT scores will be sent to schools. In other words, you cant have a single MCAT score sent, every score will be sent to every school and future MCAT will be automatically sent when the score is released. Every MCAT score follows you for life

Does anyone know what I should do for future coursework if it is for a graduate program? I do not have a transcript for this school yet at all because it is a one year master's (continuing from undergrad)... how do I tell AMCAS that so the system doesn't yell at me when I try to submit??

Just to be clear, you will need to enter the school twice, once for UG and once for GRAD. The courses you will be taking, if you know them, can be listed as type "CC" (see below) no transcript or grade is expected on these

You can find the AMCAS 2017 Instruction Manual from this shortened URL: http://bit.ly/AMCAS17
(p42)Current/Future (CC)

Use this Special Course Type designation for any courses you are currently taking or expect to take before entering medical school. Listing these courses is especially important if you have not yet completed medical school prerequisites. No AMCAS grade will be assigned.

Yes you should as all MCAT scores will be sent to schools. In other words, you cant have a single MCAT score sent, every score will be sent to every school and future MCAT will be automatically sent when the score is released. Every MCAT score follows you for life

But @gonnif, why do you have to make it soooo dramatic!?!

I'm thinking about making one of my "most meaningful experiences" an activity that I only have 40 hours for. I have other activities with greater hours, but it was definitely an impactful experience. Do you guys think I should go with it or pick something that I have been involved with for a greater time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, @gonnif, @Goro @LizzyM in terms of Letters of Rec... what should applicants put for the letter title? Just a generic "Professor Letter" ?

This is where you use your judgement. You can use the large BIOL category or use the sub category if they clearly fit it. In the end, it will not matter as the schools will see it as BCPM or AO (all other).

Are you saying that there are 20 + 150 = 170 items in the drop-down menu? That seems unlikely but possible. I was guessing there were either 20 menu items (big font categories) or 150 menu items (small font categories), but not 170.

The latest screenshot I can find is from the 2010 cycle (we are on the 2017 cycle now), and it has like 50 items, some of which are big font and some of which are small font, but it definitely does not include every small font category (e.g. no "Cell Biology"). I suspect it has changed in 7 years.

I guess I will find out when I reach that stage of the AMCAS, which is currently not open to me.

Hi, so I'm currently filling out my AMCAS, and my weakest spot is in clinical experience. However, this summer I will be doing clinically relevant research at a very well-known med school (and in-state for me, so a possible dream school), as well as volunteering at a hospital. The thing is, I will maybe have started the volunteering and possibly like one day of the research when I submit my primary app (if all goes according to plan), because I plan to submit at the beginning of June. Can I put this on my application as starting in June and going into the future?
Also, is it necessary to fill out future classes on AMCAS if I've already taken all my pre-med requirements? (I'm a rising senior)
Thanks!

Hi, under AMCAS Section 2 "Institution Attended" of sub-section "Institutional Action" which says " You were previously the recipient of institutional action by a college or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation". During my undergraduate year, I had one quarter of bad grades that resulted in Academic Probation and I guess I have to report that under this "Institutional Action" right? On top of that, I should briefly discuss it in my personal statement. Let me know your advice, thank you very much.

Are you saying that there are 20 + 150 = 170 items in the drop-down menu? That seems unlikely but possible. I was guessing there were either 20 menu items (big font categories) or 150 menu items (small font categories), but not 170.

The latest screenshot I can find is from the 2010 cycle (we are on the 2017 cycle now), and it has like 50 items, some of which are big font and some of which are small font, but it definitely does not include every small font category (e.g. no "Cell Biology"). I suspect it has changed in 7 years.

I guess I will find out when I reach that stage of the AMCAS, which is currently not open to me.

As I said, it wont matter to the adcoms as they will look at the BCPM and not worry about the subcategories

But @gonnif, why do you have to make it soooo dramatic!?!
Because others who may read this need to understand the impact of multiple MCATs

I'm thinking about making one of my "most meaningful experiences" an activity that I only have 40 hours for. I have other activities with greater hours, but it was definitely an impactful experience. Do you guys think I should go with it or pick something that I have been involved with for a greater time?

If you can sincerely explain the the impact then it can indeed the most meaningful experience

My most meaningful experience would have been the very few minutes I was the first one at a scene of fatal traffic accident when I was a young teen. Made me realize that I needed more knowledge than boy scout first aid which ultimately led me down this path to medicine

Hi, under AMCAS Section 2 "Institution Attended" of sub-section "Institutional Action" which says " You were previously the recipient of institutional action by a college or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation". During my undergraduate year, I had one quarter of bad grades that resulted in Academic Probation and I guess I have to report that under this "Institutional Action" right? On top of that, I should briefly discuss it in my personal statement. Let me know your advice, thank you very much.
Yes in IA,
No in PS, leave PS for explaining why you want to be in medicine

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, so I'm currently filling out my AMCAS, and my weakest spot is in clinical experience. However, this summer I will be doing clinically relevant research at a very well-known med school (and in-state for me, so a possible dream school), as well as volunteering at a hospital. The thing is, I will maybe have started the volunteering and possibly like one day of the research when I submit my primary app (if all goes according to plan), because I plan to submit at the beginning of June. Can I put this on my application as starting in June and going into the future?
Also, is it necessary to fill out future classes on AMCAS if I've already taken all my pre-med requirements? (I'm a rising senior)
Thanks!

1) You can put future EC/hours in up until Aug 2017. However, the impact of doing so is questionable at best as you are making a vague promise that you are not obligated to complete. If you are wak in clinical experience and you are going to do something strong this summer that may really impress your dream school, you may seriously want to consider waiting out a cycle. Why risk a rejection from your dream school when you will be much stronger next time around?

2) You do not have to put in future courses but I suggest applicants do. It shows you are still doing something academic at least

Last edited:
So I'm filling out the coursework section, and I took 7 community college courses in middle school, until the summer before high school. For "Year in School", do I just label it as high school? Is there some way I could indicate this as middle school, or does it not matter at all? (If its relevant, the courses are algebra --> calculus, plus a language course and and intro to college bio course).

So I'm filling out the coursework section, and I took 7 community college courses in middle school, until the summer before high school. For "Year in School", do I just label it as high school? Is there some way I could indicate this as middle school, or does it not matter at all? (If its relevant, the courses are algebra --> calculus, plus a language course and and intro to college bio course).

Middle school? High School is fine. They just want to compare "pre-college" to "true college"

Now did you take a course the summer before college?

Middle school? High School is fine. They just want to compare "pre-college" to "true college"

Now did you take a course the summer before college?

Thanks for your reply! And no I didn't.

10 days into the cycle, just wanted to give a big thanks to @gonnif for all his helpful answers. Amazing how well-monitored these boards are by you and the other admins.

Sorry if this may have been answered, but another question:
If I took a course that was a P/NP course, and on the transcript it is titled "Directed Group Study" (student led class) or "Freshman Seminar" (small, intimate class led by professor to discuss a specific topic, also P/NP), should I put the actual name of the course to indicate its subject (such as Beginning Jazz or Mind, Matter, Consciousness)?

Sorry if this may have been answered, but another question:
If I took a course that was a P/NP course, and on the transcript it is titled "Directed Group Study" (student led class) or "Freshman Seminar" (small, intimate class led by professor to discuss a specific topic, also P/NP), should I put the actual name of the course to indicate its subject (such as Beginning Jazz or Mind, Matter, Consciousness)?

You can add it after the actual transcript name in parentheses.

For a club activity that's mostly just a hobby that I have no leadership position in, can I list a student as the contact person should I give his titel as "President (student)" or even mention he is a student?

I have never met the adult supervisor for our club, nor do I know who he is

I took German III my first semester of college and got "retroactive" credits for German I and II on my transcript. How should I go about entering these? Would they be considered CLEP?

For a club activity that's mostly just a hobby that I have no leadership position in, can I list a student as the contact person should I give his titel as "President (student)" or even mention he is a student?

I have never met the adult supervisor for our club, nor do I know who he is

sure

I took courses from spring 2006 till spring 2011, with several interruption in my original country. Some of these course have been transferred to my current US institution. However, the US institution didn't include grades neither P/F, just the credits. I started my US university in 2014. Thus, there is 3 year gap in between schools. How should I classify my undergrad status in regards of FR, SO, JR, SR? Should I include the foreign courses just as pass/fail or no grade granted? Also I was enrolled in a 7 year BS/MD program, but only completed first year, which is basically pre-med course work. Should I include this as have been enrolled in a MD degree?

Last edited:
I have a question about repeat courses:

My official transcript doesn't list the grades at all for the first attempt, and I am not sure where to find those. I am going to Student Services to ask them if they have a record of the first-attempt grades but if they don't...

What should I enter as the grades for the first attempt? The Instruction manual specifically states that not putting a grade will lead to my application being sent back during verification. Is there anything I can do to make sure this doesn't occur? Even if there is no record of the original grade?

Thank you!

Does anyone have advice on thank you gifts to get professors who write letters of rec and friends/family/colleagues who read your personal statement and spend a lot of time helping you through it? I am so grateful to all these people helping me out on my journey to medical school and would like to thank them. I don't want to spend too much money (#poorscientist) but would love to express my gratitude. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

I took a musical ensemble class that awarded me half a credit, but no grade on my transcript. It only says "CREDIT" under the grade on my transcript.

Should I treat this as a pass/fail class and not enter a course grade? Thanks!

I'm a violinist. How should I put that into the work/activities section? I don't know what to do with the "Organization Name," for example.

I realize that I have to submit courses taken at a community college during high school - unfortunately, these courses include 2 A's and 2 B's. This brings down my GPA from a 3.90 to a 3.85 (not drastic, but still appreciable), and I was wondering if there is some way that prospective medical schools will see what my GPA would have been without these classes. For the classes that I got B's in, I actually took the equivalents at my university and received A's. Will reviewers take this into account as well? I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

What would babysitting be listed under as far as the categories available under work/activities in AMCAS?

I went to______and started as an undergrad in 2011.
However, I did a summer program during high school at _____in 2010, and that program gave me _____course credits.

So did I start at ______ in 2010 or 2011??

Might be worth mentioning that my School ID number that I had during my summer program was different than my ID number that I had throughout my 4 year degree...
I remember some confusion when I started at ____ and didn't foresee the confusion coming back now ha

Last edited:
Hi there. So I had a couple of questions:
1) when entering AP credit - should that go under the institution which I ultimately got my degree in or the first institution (college) I went to? Okay so I have a couple of AP credits going from senior year high school to college, but before I entered college (summer 2013) I took 2 classes at my community college so would I enter my AP credits in the community college or the 4 year college? Or is there a way that it gets automatically noted that these are AP credits? I thought I would ask before I started filling that in...
2) When entering courses, does psychology courses fall under "behavioral/natural sciences" or what section did you put your psychology courses under?
3) for those of you who took an EMT course, what classification did you give this course? I gave it as "other" but I am not entirely sure...

please let me know
-Thanks! :)

@Catalystik @gonnif do med schools look down upon students who take roughly 2 science courses a semester?

I came in with a lot of credits, and early on in my college career I took 3 BCPM courses per semester. But as I am progressing I am scaling it back to 2 in order to fit more classes that are of interest to me, and that fit the theme of my application. I never got A's in all 3 usually would get about 2 A's and 1 B or some variation of that but all A's in my non science. As long as my sGPA is still ~3.7 do I not need to worry? Thank you for your time!

@Catalystik @gonnif 1) do med schools look down upon students who take roughly 2 science courses a semester?

I came in with a lot of credits, and early on in my college career I took 3 BCPM courses per semester. But as I am progressing I am scaling it back to 2 in order to fit more classes that are of interest to me, and that fit the theme of my application. I never got A's in all 3 usually would get about 2 A's and 1 B or some variation of that but all A's in my non science. 2) As long as my sGPA is still ~3.7 do I not need to worry? Thank you for your time!
1) No.

2) With an sGPA of 3.7, you don't need to worry.

1) No.

2) With an sGPA of 3.7, you don't need to worry.
Thank you for the reassurance! Would you say the 2 science classes per semester would only be called into question for someone with a ~3.4?( have some friends this may apply too)

Would you say the 2 science classes per semester would only be called into question for someone with a ~3.4?( have some friends this may apply too)
Your query lies outside the scope of this thread and you give insufficient context for a dependable response. Refer your friends to WAMC if they have concerns.

Does anyone have advice on thank you gifts to get professors who write letters of rec and friends/family/colleagues who read your personal statement and spend a lot of time helping you through it? I am so grateful to all these people helping me out on my journey to medical school and would like to thank them. I don't want to spend too much money (#poorscientist) but would love to express my gratitude. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

Small unmarked bills in $50s and $100s is always appreciated. Seriously, make it a small thing as there is a likely specific limit that faculty and staff can accept. A $5 or $10 gift card to starbucks or similar would be more than a gift. Frankly, a nice thank card is more than enough

Status
Not open for further replies.