*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your query lies outside the scope of this thread and you give insufficient context for a dependable response. Refer your friends to WAMC if they have concerns.

I'm sorry, I suddenly heard the voice of the original Star Trek computer when I read this, did make me laugh

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there. So I had a couple of questions:
Maybe we can have a couple of answers

1) when entering AP credit - should that go under the institution which I ultimately got my degree in or the first institution (college) I went to? Okay so I have a couple of AP credits going from senior year high school to college, but before I entered college (summer 2013) I took 2 classes at my community college so would I enter my AP credits in the community college or the 4 year college? Or is there a way that it gets automatically noted that these are AP credits? I thought I would ask before I started filling that in...

You would enter the AP credits with the college that actually assigned you AP credits. You do not get credit simply for having taken an AP exam. You can do so with the college that gave them to you first or with the college that gave you the most. See below.

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p41)Advanced Placement (AP)
To claim AP credit, the credit hours must be listed on your transcript. AP courses should be entered under the term in which the college credit was initially granted. If no term is designated, include these credits with freshman coursework (FR). Include AP credit courses only once (by selecting Advanced Placement as the Special Course Type), even though AP credit for the same subject may have been awarded by more than one institution. AP courses can be assigned under the institution awarding the most credit. If AP credits appear in one block on the transcript, distribute the credit appropriately among the AP exams taken.

2) When entering courses, does psychology courses fall under "behavioral/natural sciences" or what section did you put your psychology courses under?
Courses are assigned by content not by department. Most PSYCH courses get behavioral/natural sciences. However, if you a psych course that is primarly biological in content (ex "neurobio of abnormal behavior") or math (psych statistics) you can list them as BCPM

3) for those of you who took an EMT course, what classification did you give this course? I gave it as "other" but I am not entirely sure...

I would call it HEAL (health sciences) as allied health is there

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I went to UC Davis and started as an undergrad in 2011.
However, I did a summer program during high school at UC Davis in 2010, and that program gave me UC Davis course credits.

So did I start at UC Davis in 2010 or 2011??

Might be worth mentioning that my School ID number that I had during my summer program was different than my ID number that I had throughout my 4 year degree...
I remember some confusion when I started at Davis and didn't foresee the confusion coming back now ha

Are all your courses on one transcript now under one ID? If so then 2010. If you have two transcripts under two different IDs, then you attended twice for purposes of AMCAS I would suggest. Else they may question it during verification

Members don't see this ad :)
To follow up on the EMT course question: if my EMT course is not on any transcript, do I need to list it? I didn't receive a grade for it or anything.

was it a college course or just simply given at a college?

I think it was just given at a college. I didn't have to register through course registration or anything like that. I just signed up online.

I think it was just given at a college. I didn't have to register through course registration or anything like that. I just signed up online.

I doubt it was a formal college program; there is no evidence to support that. So this is just a "training program" not a college class, doesnt need to be listed as such

As part of this EMT course, I undertook 60 hours of clinical rotations both in a hospital emergency department, and in the field on an ambulance. I want to list this as a work/activity since it was good clinical experience, but am unsure if I can list it as a clinical volunteer experience since it was part of that course. how should i classify it, "other"?

You could list it separately, but it would more accurate to list it as part of EMT training

Your query lies outside the scope of this thread and you give insufficient context for a dependable response. Refer your friends to WAMC if they have concerns.
Got it! Thanks again for your candor and thorough explanations. Much appreciated:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't received a reply regarding the following questions. Would really appreciate any help

I took courses from spring 2006 till spring 2011, with several interruptions in my original country. Thus, there is 3 year gap in between schools.

1. How should I classify my undergrad status in regards of FR, SO, JR, SR? Some of these course have been transferred to my current US institution. However, the US institution didn't include grades neither P/F, just the credits. I started my US university in 2014.

2. Should I include the foreign courses just as pass/fail or no grade granted?

3. Also I was enrolled in a 7 year BS/MD program, but only completed first year, which is basically pre-med course work. Should I include this as have been enrolled in a MD degree?

I need to answer your second question first.

2. a) you must include the transferred credits
b) you may list all the courses on AMCAS
c) if you are trying to use any course, whether transferred or not, to fulfill a prereq, you must include it in AMCAS. each medical will have its own process, if they accept these courses. my guess most do not accept these

1. you can list your standing by credits totals (see p36 AMCAS instructions) even if you list all courses I would suggest only counting credits transferred to the US.

3. I would include this as BS work only as you werent formally matriculated into an MD school yet

So in regards to entering course info, I am going to enter it EXACTLY as it appears on my transcript.

If it says Into Soc. That is what I will enter. Not intro to sociology

Does anyone have advice on thank you gifts to get professors who write letters of rec and friends/family/colleagues who read your personal statement and spend a lot of time helping you through it? I am so grateful to all these people helping me out on my journey to medical school and would like to thank them. I don't want to spend too much money (#poorscientist) but would love to express my gratitude. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks.
I went to a bakery and customized small boxes of cookies for my letter writers. For example, my neuroscience professor I got cookies with little brains on them and a lab coat; my organic professor I got a lab coat, a flask, a test tube, and a beer mug (he now works at a brewery); my old boss works in construction and he's having a baby so I got a hard hat, a hammer, and a baby rattle. Etc. And then added a 'thank you' cookie to each. Paired each of those with a handwritten thank you note. It went over very well and wasn't too pricey. Cause I agree, #poorscientist. Anything small like that I think is plenty. Just enough to show you were thinking of them and appreciate how much they've helped you to get where you are.

So in regards to entering course info, I am going to enter it EXACTLY as it appears on my transcript.

If it says Into Soc. That is what I will enter. Not intro to sociology

yes that is correct. always enter it exactly what it says on the transcript as this will make verification by AMCAS smoother

Would it be seen as silly to include a sport that I was heavily involved in throughout high school, but quit during freshman fall due to injury? I was captain of the crew team in high school and my boat won 4th place at Youth Nationals (and won states for all 7 seasons I participated), but when I got to college I was only able to participate fully in the D1 team for a few weeks - plus another few months of still being on the team but only doing physical therapy and lifting. It was an important part of my life, but is this too far back to be worth mentioning?

For those of you who had AP credit, what did you select as your "term?" Okay so I have AP credit coming into college, so would that be considered a "Fall" term or the "Interim?"

Also, if I got credit for my class (English 1) based off of my ACT score would I still enter that?

Guys, I really need some help.

I first accidentally filled out the wrong application entirely and did not notice until a few days ago (the 2016 one, why it is still open I DO NOT KNOW). My transcript was already verified.

I then re-ordered my transcript and accidentally used the wrong AMCAS ID (my school accepts electronically; I used my grad school's ID instead of undergrad by mistake)

Do I need to pay a third time for this transcript, or can AMCAS transfer it over?

For those of you who had AP credit, what did you select as your "term?" Okay so I have AP credit coming into college, so would that be considered a "Fall" term or the "Interim?"
Also, if I got credit for my class (English 1) based off of my ACT score would I still enter that?

AP credit must be on the official transcript in order to be included in AMCAS and entered as below. ACT would be listed as AP, as all special course type are. Just to add, you must be assigned credit for a course, not simply being "testes" or "exempted" from the course to be included on AMCAS

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p.41)Advanced Placement (AP)
To claim AP credit, the credit hours must be listed on your transcript. AP courses should be entered under the term in which the college credit was initially granted. If no term is designated, include these credits with freshman coursework (FR). Include AP credit courses only once (by selecting Advanced Placement as the Special Course Type), even though AP credit for the same subject may have been awarded by more than one institution. AP courses can be assigned under the institution awarding the most credit. If AP credits appear in one block on the transcript, distribute the credit appropriately among the AP exams taken.

Would it be seen as silly to include a sport that I was heavily involved in throughout high school, but quit during freshman fall due to injury? I was captain of the crew team in high school and my boat won 4th place at Youth Nationals (and won states for all 7 seasons I participated), but when I got to college I was only able to participate fully in the D1 team for a few weeks - plus another few months of still being on the team but only doing physical therapy and lifting. It was an important part of my life, but is this too far back to be worth mentioning?

Eh, seems at best a stretch. If you had continued thru out college it would have been quite worthy. But like pros who career ends short due to injury, so do your AMCAS hopes for this EC. At least that are my thoughts

Hi guys! I'm new to this site as a member but have been reading these threads for a while. I just submitted my Texas app last night (I'm assuming submitting this early is good?)

My stats are meh: overall GPA 3.66, science gpa: 3.45, not science gpa: 4.0, MCAT: 31
~300 hours of clinical experience/volunteering, ~70 hours shadowing, 1000+ hours research

But I do have an upward trend, my science and overall gpa this year (my senior year) was a 4.0 in upper level neuro classes. I don't know if adcom's will care. I have stellar EC, LoR, personal statement, additional Texas essays and pretty good research experience so I'm not worried about that aspect of my application at all. I've been told that everything I mentioned in the previous sentence (EC, PS etc) is pretty unique. I just wish I had 'gotten the hang' of college classes before I got to my upper level classes which I did better in. Idk if this matters but I went to an out of state college so I'll be applying to their med school as well.

I applied to all the TMDSAS schools but was hoping to apply to a few AMCAS schools but am not sure which ones would be OK for me to apply to/which ones would be worth it. Brown? Wake Forest?

This is really the wrong thread for this question, can I suggest this get reposted in a new preallo thread?

Guys, I really need some help.

I first accidentally filled out the wrong application entirely and did not notice until a few days ago (the 2016 one, why it is still open I DO NOT KNOW). My transcript was already verified.

I then re-ordered my transcript and accidentally used the wrong AMCAS ID (my school accepts electronically; I used my grad school's ID instead of undergrad by mistake)

Do I need to pay a third time for this transcript, or can AMCAS transfer it over?

They might be able to BUT is it worth the risk for a $10-$15 bucks to risk delay. I would order the third transcript, give yourself two dope slaps, and now do one great proper application.

They might be able to BUT is it worth the risk for a $10-$15 bucks to risk delay. I would order the third transcript, give yourself two dope slaps, and now do one great proper application.

Thanks for the input. I still can't believe AMCAS left their old application open; it is actually kind of difficult to notice that it's last year's application because all it says is "2016" at the top (which I did not think twice about, given it is the year 2016). They need to resolve this issue, or at least write "2015-2016" at the top.

Thanks for the input. I still can't believe AMCAS left their old application open; it is actually kind of difficult to notice that it's last year's application because all it says is "2016" at the top (which I did not think twice about, given it is the year 2016). They need to resolve this issue, or at least write "2015-2016" at the top.

The 2016 cycle is still open so the application is still open. It doesnt close for AMCAS purposes until August I believe

I went to a bakery and customized small boxes of cookies for my letter writers. For example, my neuroscience professor I got cookies with little brains on them and a lab coat; my organic professor I got a lab coat, a flask, a test tube, and a beer mug (he now works at a brewery); my old boss works in construction and he's having a baby so I got a hard hat, a hammer, and a baby rattle. Etc. And then added a 'thank you' cookie to each. Paired each of those with a handwritten thank you note. It went over very well and wasn't too pricey. Cause I agree, #poorscientist. Anything small like that I think is plenty. Just enough to show you were thinking of them and appreciate how much they've helped you to get where you are.
Thank you very much! That was helpful :)

Hi, I would appreciate some help, please. My major was Violin Performance, but the only option listed is Music. Should I select "Other Majors" and then write it in, or "Music" and then write Violin Performance in the "if the major name is wrong" box?

When's the first date you can submit your amcas primary app? For some reason I can't find a concrete answer.

A few questions as I am inputting my courses.

1. For an AP course, what should I put for year in school?

2. Say I took biology, and Biology lab as separate courses, I list them separately correct?

3. Say I took embryology which had lab built into the course. I would list the course name as it appears on the transcript and then select "Combined Lecture and Lab"

4. I am copying and pasting the course titles from my transcript, so having all uppercase is fine?

Thank you very much!

2. Say I took biology, and Biology lab as separate courses, I list them separately correct?

3. Say I took embryology which had lab built into the course. I would list the course name as it appears on the transcript and then select "Combined Lecture and Lab"

4. I am copying and pasting the course titles from my transcript, so having all uppercase is fine?

Thank you very much!
1. Freshman, assuming you got transcript credit upon matriculation
2-4. Yes

Please tell me you have at least made some attempt to download and read the totally free instructions

(p41)AP courses should be entered under the term in which the college credit was initially granted. If no term is designated, include these credits with freshman coursework (FR).
(p35)Coursework Details
Enter courses in chronological order exactly as they appear on the official transcript of the school where they were originally attempted.

(p35)Coursework Details
Enter courses in chronological order exactly as they appear on the official transcript of the school where they were originally attempted. (p38)Enter designations for all of your lab coursework exactly as they appear on the official transcript. If the lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, append the phrase "and Lab" to the exact course title as it appears on the official transcript. For example, if "General Chemistry II" appears on the official transcript and lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, enter "General Chemistry II and Lab" and select "Combined Lecture and Lab" in response to the question, "Did this course include a lab section?

Exactly as appears in OFFICIAL transcript

Hi, I would appreciate some help, please. My major was Violin Performance, but the only option listed is Music. Should I select "Other Majors" and then write it in, or "Music" and then write Violin Performance in the "if the major name is wrong" box?
Well, most people would consider violin performance a "music" major. Then of course , the way some people play the violin, perhaps not. (sorry I could resist).

You could do it either way, but I would suggest "other" and write in violin performance. It will be notable for an adcom to see

(btw, the surgeon in chief of the Emory health system was a tuba player with the BSO and I just sent an opera singer to med school)

Please tell me you have at least made some attempt to download and read the totally free instructions

(p41)AP courses should be entered under the term in which the college credit was initially granted. If no term is designated, include these credits with freshman coursework (FR).

(p35)Coursework Details
Enter courses in chronological order exactly as they appear on the official transcript of the school where they were originally attempted.

(p35)Coursework Details
Enter courses in chronological order exactly as they appear on the official transcript of the school where they were originally attempted. (p38)Enter designations for all of your lab coursework exactly as they appear on the official transcript. If the lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, append the phrase "and Lab" to the exact course title as it appears on the official transcript. For example, if "General Chemistry II" appears on the official transcript and lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, enter "General Chemistry II and Lab" and select "Combined Lecture and Lab" in response to the question, "Did this course include a lab section?

Exactly as appears in OFFICIAL transcript

I haven't lol.

Thank you for the link and sorry for the dumb questions

I graduated and did not take any biochemistry classes. At least 5 schools I am applying to require an introductory course of biochem. I am able to take it in Fall 2016 from my home school, and fill the requirements. I was planning on listing this under current/future coursework. Will schools that require this class put my app on hold until I report back a grade or something?

I graduated and did not take any biochemistry classes. At least 5 schools I am applying to require an introductory course of biochem. I am able to take it in Fall 2016 from my home school, and fill the requirements. I was planning on listing this under current/future coursework. Will schools that require this class put my app on hold until I report back a grade or something?
You can apply without having all the prereqs completed as long as you have them done by matriculation. This is a non-issue

please dont crosss post

Do we need to tell our school to send the AMCAS transcript request form along with the official transcript if it is being delivered as electronic pdf? Or in this case, will the AMCAS transcript ID number suffice?

Do we need to tell our school to send the AMCAS transcript request form along with the official transcript if it is being delivered as electronic pdf? Or in this case, will the AMCAS transcript ID number suffice?

If they approved to send them that way, they can probably get by with AMCAS ID. However, please note while many schools have the ability to send PDFs, most are not acceptable to AMCAS as below

https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/faq/amcas-faq/
Electronic Transcripts

AMCAS only accepts PDF eTranscripts from approved senders, who may only submit transcripts to AMCAS by means of a secure file transfer (SFTP). AMCAS will not accept PDF eTranscripts by email or any other way.

At this time, most schools that have the ability to send eTranscripts are not yet AMCAS-approved senders. If your college or university has not requested that you provide a Transcript ID, they are not yet an approved sender. Requesting an electronic transcript from a school that is not yet approved will result in delays for your application, as you will have to submit another request to your registrar for a paper transcript. Remember that AMCAS continues to accept official paper transcripts from all institutions.If your college or university registrar is interested in learning more about PDF eTranscripts, they can visit our AMCAS for Registrars page.

I attended another college and AMCAS already received my transcript from that college. However, I just realized I entered in the wrong attendance dates by a semester on the application. Is this bad? As in do I have to resend a transcript or something? Or is this fine? Thanks.

Hi! For the coursework section, within each semester, does the order of classes we list need to match the order on the transcript? I began working off of a weird transcript before I realized that it was not official, and so the order of my freshman classes is not exactly the same as on the transcript. However, I have lots of AP credits and so I don't want to have to delete all my classes and restart unless I really have to. Thanks!

I attended another college and AMCAS already received my transcript from that college. However, I just realized I entered in the wrong attendance dates by a semester on the application. Is this bad? As in do I have to resend a transcript or something? Or is this fine? Thanks.

I presume you mean you entered it on the transcript request? you cant have submitted an application yet. And like all good neurotic premeds, you should check and recheck and recheck the application before submitting. It wont be an issue

Hi! For the coursework section, within each semester, does the order of classes we list need to match the order on the transcript? I began working off of a weird transcript before I realized that it was not official, and so the order of my freshman classes is not exactly the same as on the transcript. However, I have lots of AP credits and so I don't want to have to delete all my classes and restart unless I really have to. Thanks!

Sorry, redo it. Go ahead curse, but redo it

This is why I harp on everyone to download and read the free AMCAS directions. if the MSAR is the textbook for getting into MD school, the instructions are the review outline for the first exam

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...017_amcas_instruction_manual-edited-final.pdf
(p35)Section Four: Course Work (emphasis added)

Request a personal copy of your official transcript(s) to use as a reference while entering your coursework—to help ensure that your data is complete and accurate. Some information that appears on your official transcript may not be shown on an unofficial transcript. Omitting coursework, grades, credits, or supplying incorrect grades may affect your AMCAS GPAs and delay processing of your application, which could result in missed deadlines.

(p35)Coursework Details

So I know that you cannot submit the application until June 7, but out of curiosity what would you considering sending in the application as being "late"? Like would anything post June be considered "late"?

So I know that you cannot submit the application until June 7, but out of curiosity what would you considering sending in the application as being "late"? Like would anything post June be considered "late"?

Anything after 12:30am on opening submission day would be too late to ever be considered ... I am joking......

(2017 timeline posting counter #013)
-AMCAS Opens May 3rd, 2016 for entering data and requesting transcripts
-AMCAS primary can be submitted June 7th, 2016 in order to start the verification process
-AMCAS doesnt start transmitting verified applications until June 24th (though some schools have secondaries sent to contact info upon submission to AMCAS)
-Verification peak is about August 1st and takes 20 days
-Most Primary Apps are transmitted early July thru early September
-Letters via AMCAS are processed/transmitted separately from primary
-Letters can be added after primary has been submitted and transmitted and are mostly not needed until secondary reviews at the earliest.
-Most adcoms dont start meeting for review until at least mid-August, more likely September (though adcom staff may be doing early reviews).
-Submitting Primary Application June is Early, July Medium, August Late
-Having Primary verified and transmitted to school by end of August is normal speed
-Having Secondary and all LORs complete to school by end of September is normal speed, by end of October is about late.

upload_2016-5-19_21-9-24.png

So I have a question in regards to year in school: I graduated a year early (3 years of undergrad) and I had 14 credits before starting my official first year at my degree granting institution. Here is my breakdown:
Pre-freshman year acquired 14 credits
Including semester 1 total = 31 credits
Including semester 2 total = 47 credits
Including semester 3 total = 64 credits
Including semester 4 total = 80 credits
Including semester 5 total = 100 credits
Including semester 6 total = 120 credits

So my question is what would I use when assigning my "year in school" right now I have it so:
semester 1 total = 31 credits (freshman)
semester 2 total = 47 credits (soph)
semester 3 total = 64 credits (jr)
semester 4 total = 80 credits (jr)
semester 5 total = 100 credits (sr)
semester 6 total = 120 credits (sr)

Is that right or should it be:
semester 1 total = 31 credits (freshman)
semester 2 total = 47 credits (soph)
semester 3 total = 64 credits (soph)
semester 4 total = 80 credits (jr)
semester 5 total = 100 credits (sr)
semester 6 total = 120 credits (sr)

Right now I have it set up so that my "year in school" changes based off of:
0-30 (fresh)
31-60 (soph)
61-90 (jr)
91-120 (sr)

but on the AAMC instruction manual it says use:
0-35 (fresh)
36-65 (soph)
66-95 (jr)
96+ (sr)

Please help! @gonnif and everyone else as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.