*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a question in regards to year in school: I graduated a year early (3 years of undergrad) and I had 14 credits before starting my official first year at my degree granting institution. Here is my breakdown:
Pre-freshman year acquired 14 credits
Including semester 1 total = 31 credits
Including semester 2 total = 47 credits
Including semester 3 total = 64 credits
Including semester 4 total = 80 credits
Including semester 5 total = 100 credits
Including semester 6 total = 120 credits

So my question is what would I use when assigning my "year in school" right now I have it so:
semester 1 total = 31 credits (freshman)
semester 2 total = 47 credits (soph)
semester 3 total = 64 credits (jr)
semester 4 total = 80 credits (jr)
semester 5 total = 100 credits (sr)
semester 6 total = 120 credits (sr)

Is that right or should it be:
semester 1 total = 31 credits (freshman)
semester 2 total = 47 credits (soph)
semester 3 total = 64 credits (soph)
semester 4 total = 80 credits (jr)
semester 5 total = 100 credits (sr)
semester 6 total = 120 credits (sr)

Right now I have it set up so that my "year in school" changes based off of:
0-30 (fresh)
31-60 (soph)
61-90 (jr)
91-120 (sr)

but on the AAMC instruction manual it says use:
0-35 (fresh)
36-65 (soph)
66-95 (jr)
96+ (sr)

Please help! @gonnif and everyone else as well!

Doesnt anybody screen these calls!!!!..... sorry I could resist

And the absolute, definitive, complete answer is....... either way. That is via credit count OR actual years
AMCAS will not change it (read p35 of instruction closely)

So the next question is which way should you do it. I would suggest the way that gives you the better term GPA. For most students, there isnt much difference

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...017_amcas_instruction_manual-edited-final.pdf

If you have a significant amount of AP or college-level coursework credits prior to entering college, you may list your entire first college year as Freshman (FR) status. In doing so, you will most likely exceed the 0-35credit hour guideline for freshman year, but your AMCAS GPAs will reflect your “true” first year in college; in these cases AMCAS will not change the academic status. However, if you would rather base your academic statuses based only on credit hours, your application will be accepted and verified as such.

*Assign High School (HS) status to college-level courses taken prior to the high
school graduation date you entered in the Schools Attended section, regardless of
the physical location of the college-level course. This does not include AP, Exempt,
or CLEP credit.

*Assign Freshman (FR) status to Advanced Placement, Exempt, or CLEP credit
awarded when you first entered college.

*Courses for a Bachelor's degree earned in three years should be assigned statuses
of Freshman (FR), Sophomore (SO), and Senior (SR).

Members don't see this ad.

Anything after 12:30am on opening submission day would be too late to ever be considered ... I am joking......

(2017 timeline posting counter #013)
-AMCAS Opens May 3rd, 2016 for entering data and requesting transcripts
-AMCAS primary can be submitted June 7th, 2016 in order to start the verification process
-AMCAS doesnt start transmitting verified applications until June 24th (though some schools have secondaries sent to contact info upon submission to AMCAS)
-Verification peak is about August 1st and takes 20 days
-Most Primary Apps are transmitted early July thru early September
-Letters via AMCAS are processed/transmitted separately from primary
-Letters can be added after primary has been submitted and transmitted and are mostly not needed until secondary reviews at the earliest.
-Most adcoms dont start meeting for review until at least mid-August, more likely September (though adcom staff may be doing early reviews).
-Submitting Primary Application June is Early, July Medium, August Late
-Having Primary verified and transmitted to school by end of August is normal speed
-Having Secondary and all LORs complete to school by end of September is normal speed, by end of October is about late.

View attachment 204040

Since I plan on retaking the MCAT June 18 (scores released July 18 ish), do you think I should just submit the app and get verified or if I submit the app on say July 19, would that be hurting my chances?

Since I plan on retaking the MCAT June 18 (scores released July 18 ish), do you think I should just submit the app and get verified or if I submit the app on say July 19, would that be hurting my chances?
It will not hurt your chances significantly

1) Submitting an app prior to knowing an MCAT score is a dangerous risk as for unforeseen circumstances, you could just blow it.
2) Submitting early with a single throwaway/reach school, still requires significant time to prepare, time that could be spent prepping for the MCAT.

You could do number 2 after you take the exam (some people do that during the exam but that is an entirely different situation) and submit by July 1 easy with a single reach school (you might get a great MCAT score) and be verified then add schools when you get score (adding schools after verification and initial transmission will have subsequent transmission within 1 business day)

Members don't see this ad :)
It will not hurt your chances significantly

1) Submitting an app prior to knowing an MCAT score is a dangerous risk as for unforeseen circumstances, you could just blow it.
2) Submitting early with a single throwaway/reach school, still requires significant time to prepare, time that could be spent prepping for the MCAT.

You could do number 2 after you take the exam (some people do that during the exam but that is an entirely different situation) and submit by July 1 easy with a single reach school (you might get a great MCAT score) and be verified then add schools when you get score (adding schools after verification and initial transmission will have subsequent transmission within 1 business day)

I was actually doing the single throwaway school (Meharry medical College), since I know they like URM applicants (they favor them more), I was going to do that school since I know it was a long shot even if I had a good score. As a non-URM I was going to apply to that school; submit and get verified, get my score on July 18ish then apply to further subsequent schools. I mean I am also applying to DO schools so hopefully someone will show me some love haha. But what do you think of that plan? Greatly appreciated!

I was actually doing the single throwaway school (Meharry medical College), since I know they like URM applicants (they favor them more), I was going to do that school since I know it was a long shot even if I had a good score. As a non-URM I was going to apply to that school; submit and get verified, get my score on July 18ish then apply to further subsequent schools. I mean I am also applying to DO schools so hopefully someone will show me some love haha. But what do you think of that plan? Greatly appreciated!

As long you apply to a school you actually would like to go to that maybe a reach, its fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Ethnicity question here:

I'm half chinese and half white, but people are often unable to place my ethnicity based on my appearance. Is it better to disclose my race, and risk a slight disadvantage in terms of being part of an ORM, or leave it blank and let adcoms decide for themselves? I'm assuming it really won't make a huge difference either way but I'm curious about what the prevailing thoughts are.

Anything after 12:30am on opening submission day would be too late to ever be considered ... I am joking......

(2017 timeline posting counter #013)
-AMCAS Opens May 3rd, 2016 for entering data and requesting transcripts
-AMCAS primary can be submitted June 7th, 2016 in order to start the verification process
-AMCAS doesnt start transmitting verified applications until June 24th (though some schools have secondaries sent to contact info upon submission to AMCAS)
-Verification peak is about August 1st and takes 20 days
-Most Primary Apps are transmitted early July thru early September
-Letters via AMCAS are processed/transmitted separately from primary
-Letters can be added after primary has been submitted and transmitted and are mostly not needed until secondary reviews at the earliest.
-Most adcoms dont start meeting for review until at least mid-August, more likely September (though adcom staff may be doing early reviews).
-Submitting Primary Application June is Early, July Medium, August Late
-Having Primary verified and transmitted to school by end of August is normal speed
-Having Secondary and all LORs complete to school by end of September is normal speed, by end of October is about late.

View attachment 204040
So even though we can start submitting applications on June 7, I would still be considered "early" if I submitted my application June 14? I have finals week on the same week as June 7.

Just a tip

Application Processing
During our peak season, the AMCAS verification process takes about six (6) weeks. Once you have submitted your application and AMCAS has received all of your required transcript(s), your application will be listed as “Ready for Review.” At this stage, your application is in line to be verified. When your application status is “Under Review,” AMCAS determines if there are any missing or incorrect items that may prevent processing. If omissions or errors cannot be resolved, your application will be returned.

The most common reasons for a returned application include:
·failure to include original grades and credit hours for repeated courses,
·failure to list10 or more courses that appear on an official transcript,
·failure to list 10 or more credits as they appear on your official transcript(s),
·failure to list 10 or more grades as they appear on your official transcript(s), and
·failure to list coursework in chronological order.

Yes, anything by the end of June is still early
Then why is every pre-med paranoid to get in their application on the first day when actually Applicant 1 who turns it in on June 7 has equally the same processing status as Applicant 2 who turns it on on June 21? Is there really no advantage of turning it in on June 7? Thanks for the help by the way.

I once took some courses at a local college in high school (2008-2010) prior to undergrad and plan to return here before med school matriculation to take one last prereq (physics II). Should I list the dates attended for this local college as 2008-2017 and then enter Physics II as a future course? I tried to input Physics II was future coursework with the dates attended as 2008-2010 but the academic term scroll-down doesn't let me go up as far as 2017.

Thanks!

I'm planning on take about 9 credits this summer and if I earn all A's, it will bump me up in gpa by approx 0.8. Is it better to submit my AMCAS early with the future courses listed or wait for the grades to come out at the end of July before submitting? I have a fear that adcoms don't really factor in grades that come out after your app has been verified. I definitely plan on submitting my grades from summer classas via transcript and letter to each med school but will they really take the time to look at my new gpa in comparison to what's been verified? I know 0.8 increase isn't a lot for most but for me, and the schools I'm applying to, it's significant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!
Quick question about submitting primary apps thats probably been answered before so I'm sorry in advance!
I'm taking the MCAT June 2nd (12 days, prayers accepted) and am going to get my scores back early July, I think on the 8th. I'm scored around a 509 on the practice test so I'm not sure how well of an indicator that is.
I'm torn what to do about applying to schools here are my foreseeable options-

1) Make a 20 school list (8 instate 12 out of state) and submit them all at once on the first day possible, not knowing my MCAT score
2) Submit only to my 8 instate schools on the first day and then add 12 out of state schools based off my scores in July.
3) Wait until July and submit my whole app with the 20 schools then.
Thanks so much for any advice any of you guys have, sdn has truly made the application process much less daunting.

Hi friends, quick question about listing AP courses that were taken again in college:

EG: I took AP Biology in high school, giving me credit for Intro Biology, which I retook in college. Do I list both of these classes, the AP class and the Intro Biology class, as repeats on AMCAS? Or do I just list Intro Biology as a repeat?

When I enter in my coursework, it automatically goes out of order compared to what's listed on my transcript when I follow all of the instructions. Specifically regarding courses I took in the summer (on a quarter system) before we switched to semesters that fall. On my transcript they're obviously listed in order (Summer Quarter, Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Summer Semester..). However, on AMCAS, if I choose to place the summer quarter in the appropriate school year per AMCAS, it displays my Summer Quarter classes after my semester classes. So it lists Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Summer Quarter, Summer Semester. See below for a yearly breakdown.

My transcript order:
Summer Quarter 2011-2012 (2012-2013 per AMCAS)
Fall Semester 2012-2013
Spring Semester 2012-2013
Summer Semester 2012-2013 (2013-2014 per AMCAS)

When I input everything as it says to, AMCAS displays my course order as:
Fall Semester 2012-2013

Thus, my classes are no longer listed in the corresponding order as my transcript. I'm following the directions (I believe; correct me if I'm wrong) so I don't think there's much I can do about that. I guess I'm just curious as to whether this is going to be an issue during verification since they're not in order like the directions say they need to be.

When putting an end date of an activity that we plan on continuing, can we just put the month we are submitting the application and then mention "continuing xxx" in the description? I plan to keep doing an activity for a while but not sure when I'm going to stop (probably not going to keep going until August 2017)

I have been told/read many things about how to enter the description (700 characters) of the work/activities section. For example, on a thread here in SDN, similar to this one, they tell us to list all the physicians we shadowed, where they work, and their contact info, along with the number of hours at each. However, I found another source from admissions at UW saying it's better to discuss the impact/what each experience taught you and not listing each experience. Has anyone done either and gotten into schools? What has worked best for people? I just want to do this the best way possible for admissions.

Thanks!

Then why is every pre-med paranoid to get in their application on the first day when actually Applicant 1 who turns it in on June 7 has equally the same processing status as Applicant 2 who turns it on on June 21? Is there really no advantage of turning it in on June 7? Thanks for the help by the way.

Because processing/verification time increases as the cycle goes on. Someone who applies June 1 will very likely be transmitted on the first day of transmission where someone who applies June 21 may take 2-3 weeks to be verified and wont be transmitted to July 7 or so

If I graduated from College A and now a couple of years later I'm taking a class at College A to fulfill a pre-req, do I list College A twice under colleges attended and classify one as undergrad and one as post-bacc? Or do I simply extend the "dates attended" section and list just that one class that I'm currently taking as a post-bacc class?

I once took some courses at a local college in high school (2008-2010) prior to undergrad and plan to return here before med school matriculation to take one last prereq (physics II). Should I list the dates attended for this local college as 2008-2017 and then enter Physics II as a future course? I tried to input Physics II was future coursework with the dates attended as 2008-2010 but the academic term scroll-down doesn't let me go up as far as 2017.

Very obviously yes. Logically you cant have 2008-2010 as dates and then expect the system to accept a 2017 date. As an aside, you dont have to list the future course even as a prereq. Schools do not use AMCAS to check for fulfillment of prereqs. They are typically not checked during the admission process but rather post-acceptance

I'm planning on take about 9 credits this summer and if I earn all A's, it will bump me up in gpa by approx 0.8. Is it better to submit my AMCAS early with the future courses listed or wait for the grades to come out at the end of July before submitting? I have a fear that adcoms don't really factor in grades that come out after your app has been verified. I definitely plan on submitting my grades from summer class as via transcript and letter to each med school but will they really take the time to look at my new gpa in comparison to what's been verified? I know 0.8 increase isn't a lot for most but for me, and the schools I'm applying to, it's significant.

Rule 1: Take a Breath

1) Most schools do not somehow recalculate the GPA even if you submit a transcript, though they seen the improvement in an informal way.
2) Delaying AMCAS end of July might mean 15-20 days to verify (using AMCAS 2015 chart) so your application wont be transmitted until late August
3) As my Mother often repeated, I will say this until I am blue in the face: Adcoms literally do not see your GPAs as a single number but rather as a chart in context with all your grade trends (see attached)
4) A .08 or a .10 is an insignificant difference in the total evaluation of an applicant despite what the mean GPA or GPA spread may read in MSAR
5) If you are truly worried you may want to reconsider your school list or even apply next cycle, which I dont this you need to
6) just apply "early" (ie without summer grades) and include them with secondary and/or update

Attachments

• AMCAS GPA Grid Good.jpg
    AMCAS GPA Grid Good.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 69
Hi everyone!
Quick question about submitting primary apps thats probably been answered before so I'm sorry in advance!
I'm taking the MCAT June 2nd (12 days, prayers accepted) and am going to get my scores back early July, I think on the 8th. I'm scored around a 509 on the practice test so I'm not sure how well of an indicator that is.
I'm torn what to do about applying to schools here are my foreseeable options-

1) Make a 20 school list (8 instate 12 out of state) and submit them all at once on the first day possible, not knowing my MCAT score
2) Submit only to my 8 instate schools on the first day and then add 12 out of state schools based off my scores in July.
3) Wait until July and submit my whole app with the 20 schools then.
Thanks so much for any advice any of you guys have, sdn has truly made the application process much less daunting.

Answer: None of the above.

Applying without a MCAT score is a dangerous risk; unforeseen circumstances for the most mundane of reason could come up and cause a disaster on test day.
Applying "late" (though July isnt that late) is also a unnecessary added factor.

What I suggest, though I am not a big fan of this tactic, is to apply early to a single school to get your transcripts verified. Once that happens any additional school you add will take one business day to transmit. Unlike others who suggest a "throwaway school" I would pick a "high reach" school, a place you would love to attend but dont think you have a good chance at unless you have a great MCAT and some luck. Who knows, you might get lucky. You can do the throwaway school instead and simply never fill out a secondary, thus avoiding that fee

Hi friends, quick question about listing AP courses that were taken again in college:

EG: I took AP Biology in high school, giving me credit for Intro Biology, which I retook in college. Do I list both of these classes, the AP class and the Intro Biology class, as repeats on AMCAS? Or do I just list Intro Biology as a repeat?

You list the second course in order of transcript as repeat. In this case it is the actual Intro Course

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p44)If you take a college level course for which you already have been granted AP credit by the same institution, this course is considered a Repeat. For example, if you received AP credit for your AP Psychology course and took an Introduction to Psychology course at the same undergraduate institution, you should list Introduction to Psychology as a Repeat

When I enter in my coursework, it automatically goes out of order compared to what's listed on my transcript when I follow all of the instructions. Specifically regarding courses I took in the summer (on a quarter system) before we switched to semesters that fall. On my transcript they're obviously listed in order (Summer Quarter, Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Summer Semester..). However, on AMCAS, if I choose to place the summer quarter in the appropriate school year per AMCAS, it displays my Summer Quarter classes after my semester classes. So it lists Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Summer Quarter, Summer Semester. See below for a yearly breakdown.

My transcript order:
Fall Semester 2012-2013

When I input everything as it says to, AMCAS displays my course order as:
Fall Semester 2012-2013

Thus, my classes are no longer listed in the corresponding order as my transcript. I'm following the directions (I believe; correct me if I'm wrong) so I don't think there's much I can do about that. I guess I'm just curious as to whether this is going to be an issue during verification since they're not in order like the directions say they need to be.

That sounds like a AMCAS system issue; I would give them a call and ask but in the end I wouldnt get too worried

I have been told/read many things about how to enter the description (700 characters) of the work/activities section. For example, on a thread here in SDN, similar to this one, they tell us to list all the physicians we shadowed, where they work, and their contact info, along with the number of hours at each. However, I found another source from admissions at UW saying it's better to discuss the impact/what each experience taught you and not listing each experience. Has anyone done either and gotten into schools? What has worked best for people? I just want to do this the best way possible for admissions.

At the risk of sounding facetious, do both. I would suggesting listing as briefly as possible the "facts" but expanding on impact in discussing them. I think too many applicants go into the the details of what they observed when shadowing instead of what they learned from the exposure

If I graduated from College A and now a couple of years later I'm taking a class at College A to fulfill a pre-req, do I list College A twice under colleges attended and classify one as undergrad and one as post-bacc? Or do I simply extend the "dates attended" section and list just that one class that I'm currently taking as a post-bacc class?

Either way. Are they coming on a single transcript? If two transcripts, then list it twice

Hello,
I have a question regarding to summer classes attended as a high school student and how to categorize them as "program types" under schools attended.
I took summer classes at both a 4-year university and community college during high school. Under "program type", do I list them as "junior college" or "undergraduate"? The classes I took are lower-div undergraduate level classes. Thank you!

Hello,
I have a question regarding to summer classes attended as a high school student and how to categorize them as "program types" under schools attended.
I took summer classes at both a 4-year university and community college during high school. Under "program type", do I list them as "junior college" or "undergraduate"? The classes I took are lower-div undergraduate level classes. Thank you!

It really doesnt matter. Did you take any college classes the summer immediately after HS before formally starting college

Either way. Are they coming on a single transcript? If two transcripts, then list it twice
I believe they'll be listed on one transcript though I'm not positive. I ordered a new transcript at the beginning of the semester but in progress classes aren't listed and there was no option to order a second for post-bacc courses instead of just one transcript. I'll just extend the dates attended and add the class to the school already listed since AMCAS has already received that transcript anyway. Thanks!

It really doesnt matter. Did you take any college classes the summer immediately after HS before formally starting college
Hi Gonnif,
No I didn't. I took these class during my 3rd summer in HS (between junior and senior year).

I think this has been asked before but I can't seem to find it. What do you do if a school won't send your transcripts (due to not accepting credit/not paying for it)? I think I remember seeing something along the line of getting them to send a letter to AMCAS explaining why they won't send them. Should I just pay for the hours?

Side note: This was a class I took while in high school and never transferred it to my college. I got a C in the course so I decided to just not accept the credit thinking it wouldn't be counted in when I applied to med school. Boy was I wrong. :laugh:

I think this has been asked before but I can't seem to find it. What do you do if a school won't send your transcripts (due to not accepting credit/not paying for it)? I think I remember seeing something along the line of getting them to send a letter to AMCAS explaining why they won't send them. Should I just pay for the hours?

Side note: This was a class I took while in high school and never transferred it to my college. I got a C in the course so I decided to just not accept the credit thinking it wouldn't be counted in when I applied to med school. Boy was I wrong. :laugh:

You can try the below, but AMCAS may make you get the transcript, and you may have to pay to clear this up
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p22)How do I know if AMCAS requires an Official Transcript?
One (1) official transcript is required from each
U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian post-secondary institution
at which you have attempted coursework, regardless of whether
credit was earned. This includes but is not limited to:

*College-level courses attempted while in high school, even if they did not count
toward a degree at any college.

(p23)If a transcript is not available from the college, do not send
middle or high school transcripts to AMCAS. Instead, the
registrar’s office of the college should forward
an official letter (with an AMCAS
Transcript Request Form attached) indicating
that no transcript is available due to institutional policies.

Last edited:
A question regarding to requesting transcript:
I requested a transcript on Credential Solution of my perspective college. I didn't include the "attachment" with my AMCAS transcript request form because they do not accept scan and upload; it has to be faxed or mailed. However, there was a space for me to put my AAMC ID and Transcript ID when the system saw the recipient as "AMCAS." Does this function as the request form and saved me from physically bringing the form to school? I hope that's enough for AMCAS to receive and match my transcript

I requested a transcript on Credential Solution of my perspective college. I didn't include the "attachment" with my AMCAS transcript request form because they do not accept scan and upload; it has to be faxed or mailed. However, there was a space for me to put my AAMC ID and Transcript ID when the system saw the recipient as "AMCAS." Does this function as the request form and saved me from physically bringing the form to school? I hope that's enough for AMCAS to receive and match my transcript

As long as your ID numbers are on there, they should be able to match it. Thankfully you've got some time so just watch your application status and if your transcript isn't received and matched in the next couple of weeks, submit it again and mail the form. It costs like 50¢ to send it, lol. Or physically take it to your school to have them send.

(Sidebar: I physically took mine to my school and they wouldn't accept the physical form and made me leave and scan/email it to their office. Everybody's just so difficult!)

I am confused or perhaps simply old fashioned: why didnt you then fax or mail the request? There are certainly many free internet fax services that would allow you to scan and then fax it in.

In any case it should make it there but keep a close on eye on the receipt of these

does anyone know how we input full year courses into the coursework section? do we input it twice or do we input it once and classify it as "second semester" ?

If I take a summer course right now is that part of academic year 2015-2016 or 2016-2017?

Hi, I had a question about entering IB/ AP coursework, while I plan to call AMCAS tommorow if anyone could help me out now that would be great. I got my AA at a state college and transferred to a state university. On my transcript from the state college both my AP credit and Ib credits are listed. However, my transcripts from the state university only lists my AP credit. Accoding to AMCAS to enter AP/ IB credit even if you attended multiple colleges you only need to pick 1 college that awarded credited. Therefore, I listed the state college as awarding credit. I have already sent transcripts from both schools to amcas. Will there be a problem with the state universtiy not listing the IB credit on my transcript or not as long as the school who I picked it enter it into amcas has it on the transcript ?

2. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but say I finished up my third year in college and am taking a summer class now. Do I list myself as a junior or a senior ?

Thanks ! :)

does anyone know how we input full year courses into the coursework section? do we input it twice or do we input it once and classify it as "second semester" ?

Perhaps the AMCAS instructions can help! Perhaps downloading them and utilizing them would be in order

(p48)Full-Year Courses
If your school uses a full-year course program, choose one of the “Full Year” options from
the Academic Term drop-down list based on the school’s calendar system.
Do not divide classes by term or enter Deferred Grade (DG) as the course type.

Hi, I had a question about entering IB/ AP coursework, while I plan to call AMCAS tommorow if anyone could help me out now that would be great. I got my AA at a state college and transferred to a state university. On my transcript from the state college both my AP credit and Ib credits are listed. However, my transcripts from the state university only lists my AP credit. Accoding to AMCAS to enter AP/ IB credit even if you attended multiple colleges you only need to pick 1 college that awarded credited. Therefore, I listed the state college as awarding credit. I have already sent transcripts from both schools to amcas. Will there be a problem with the state universtiy not listing the IB credit on my transcript or not as long as the school who I picked it enter it into amcas has it on the transcript ?

But the state college didnt award credit for IB so you cant claim it there. So now go back and redo your coursework having the IB show up in AA/State College part. You can include the AP there or in the State University

If both the State college and the State University had listed IB you could have claimed it at either

(p43) International Baccalaureate (IB)
To claim IB credit, the credit hours must be listed on your transcript. Include IB credit
courses only once (indicating IB under Special Course Types), even though IB credit for
the same subject may have been awarded by more than one institution. IB courses can be
assigned under the institution awarding the most credit. IB credit should be
entered under the first term in which the college credit was initially granted.

If no term is designated, include with freshman (FR) coursework.

2. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but say I finished up my third year in college and am taking a summer class now. Do I list myself as a junior or a senior ?

No dumber than the first. If you are using actual years, this summer would be part of the upcoming fall year, so it would be senior

Perhaps the AMCAS instructions can help! Perhaps downloading them and utilizing them would be in order

(p48)Full-Year Courses
If your school uses a full-year course program, choose one of the “Full Year” options from
the Academic Term drop-down list based on the school’s calendar system.
Do not divide classes by term or enter Deferred Grade (DG) as the course type.

right I understand the manual says that from the drop-down I select "Full year." But my question now is that would I type this course twice as it is on my transcript...because on my transcript for first semester it says the course name but grade is "--" and then for second semester it says the course name and grade A. So what I type it twice or simply just once? (sorry if this is confusing :( )

right I understand the manual says that from the drop-down I select "Full year." But my question now is that would I type this course twice as it is on my transcript...because on my transcript for first semester it says the course name but grade is "--" and then for second semester it says the course name and grade A. So what I type it twice or simply just once? (sorry if this is confusing :( )

Is this an official transcript that you paid for or a free student version? does the one with no grade also have no credit value? If it has no grade and no credit value, and it is on the official transcript , then list it as as many times it is on transcript. Add "(first half of full year course)" and match that with second half as well on description, use full-course pull down and leave the grade blank.

Just being Paranoid....but can someone confirm that once I submit my application then I can still add reference letters whenever after that?

Just being Paranoid....but can someone confirm that once I submit my application then I can still add reference letters whenever after that?

See my signature quote; it isnt there just to be funny

https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/section-6-letters-evaluation/
Can I change my letter information after it is submitted to AMCAS?
You may add a new letter after your application has been submitted, but you cannot delete or change existing letter entries.

However, your letter writer can update the actual letter document linked to a letter entry by uploading a new version of the letter using the same Letter ID number as the original entry. Medical schools will be able to review the most recent version of the letter. These updates may be necessary if your letter writer needs to make a change to your letter, or if the original letter was not signed or on official letterhead. Do not make a new letter entry in your application for an updated letter.

How do I add a letter after my application has been submitted?
To add additional letters of evaluation, log back into your AMCAS application and select the Letters of Evaluation tab.

You can add more letters only if you have not already entered 10 letters. If you would like to assign a letter to a medical school that you've already applied to, select the Medical School tab, select Edit for the school you'd like to receive the new letter, and select the new letter. If you would like to send your application and letters to a new medical school, you will be prompted to select the letters you would like sent to the new school after adding the school.

Please note: Each time you select a new school and add letters, you must officially update your application by clicking on the Update Application button on the Main Menu of your application.

How do I add a letter after my application has been submitted?
To add additional letters of evaluation, log back into your AMCAS application and select the Letters of Evaluation tab.

You can add more letters only if you have not already entered 10 letters. If you would like to assign a letter to a medical school that you've already applied to, select the Medical School tab, select Edit for the school you'd like to receive the new letter, and select the new letter. If you would like to send your application and letters to a new medical school, you will be prompted to select the letters you would like sent to the new school after adding the school.

Please note: Each time you select a new school and add letters, you must officially update your application by clicking on the Update Application button on the Main Menu of your application.

As long as your ID numbers are on there, they should be able to match it. Thankfully you've got some time so just watch your application status and if your transcript isn't received and matched in the next couple of weeks, submit it again and mail the form. It costs like 50¢ to send it, lol. Or physically take it to your school to have them send.

(Sidebar: I physically took mine to my school and they wouldn't accept the physical form and made me leave and scan/email it to their office. Everybody's just so difficult!)

Completely trivial and utterly true: my large state school couldnt get my undergraduate transcript to their own graduate admissions office in time for me to start a program!

I realize that P/F courses are frowned upon. Before I knew this, I took 1 GE course as P/F.

I later took 3 courses that did not allow a letter-grading option; 2 were research units and 1 was a seminar.

Therefore, I have 4 courses that are P/F on my transcript when, in reality, I only chose this as a grading option once. Is there any way I can clarify this to admissions committees? I have a high GPA, although I do not want my GPA to be subjectively discounted because of the P/F courses.

I've noticed a lot of websites solely request the number of LORs for that school and do not state specifics. For these schools, do we just assume the 2 science, 1 non-science, and the remainder up to us? Or am I missing some sort of directory with detailed LOR information?

Status
Not open for further replies.