*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize that P/F courses are frowned upon. Before I knew this, I took 1 GE course as P/F.

I later took 3 courses that did not allow a letter-grading option; 2 were research units and 1 was a seminar.

Therefore, I have 4 courses that are P/F on my transcript when, in reality, I only chose this as a grading option once. Is there any way I can clarify this to admissions committees? I have a high GPA, although I do not want my GPA to be subjectively discounted because of the P/F courses.

It is trivial. no need to mention in any way, shape, or form.

Members don't see this ad.

I've noticed a lot of websites solely request the number of LORs for that school and do not state specifics. For these schools, do we just assume the 2 science, 1 non-science, and the remainder up to us? Or am I missing some sort of directory with detailed LOR information?

that is typical 2 science/ 1 non-science. Could you point out some of the schools your are not finding specifics at?

If I was a board member of a non profit organization and was part of a promotional video that I would like to include in my application (just a link to it) to show more about what we did/who I am, is this recommended or should I just avoid putting any media into the application? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I was a board member of a non profit organization and was part of a promotional video that I would like to include in my application (just a link to it) to show more about what we did/who I am, is this recommended or should I just avoid putting any media into the application? Thanks!

Link is fine. And it could be a break from reading the 30th application of the afternoon

Reactions: 1 user
What do people think of using the abbreviation of CRISPR-Cas9 without breaking down the acronym and just saying "I used the genome editing technique CRISPR-Cas9 to study...."? I have heard several times that I should explain and draw out acronyms, but in this case, isn't it well known enough to just not explain? If not, it'll take up a ton of characters and I'm not sure it's worth it for me or not in the 700 word description of my honors thesis.....Thanks!

You list the second course in order of transcript as repeat. In this case it is the actual Intro Course

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p44)If you take a college level course for which you already have been granted AP credit by the same institution, this course is considered a Repeat. For example, if you received AP credit for your AP Psychology course and took an Introduction to Psychology course at the same undergraduate institution, you should list Introduction to Psychology as a Repeat

Thanks for your response! This is what I suspected initially, but I called AAMC and a rep said to list both as repeats.

What do people think of using the abbreviation of CRISPR-Cas9 without breaking down the acronym and just saying "I used the genome editing technique CRISPR-Cas9 to study...."? I have heard several times that I should explain and draw out acronyms, but in this case, isn't it well known enough to just not explain? If not, it'll take up a ton of characters and I'm not sure it's worth it for me or not in the 700 word description of my honors thesis.....Thanks!
leave it as CRISPR

I am confused or perhaps simply old fashioned: why didnt you then fax or mail the request? There are certainly many free internet fax services that would allow you to scan and then fax it in.

In any case it should make it there but keep a close on eye on the receipt of these

@shortney0006 Thanks for both of your response! I am the one old-fashioned. I didn't know there are free internet faxing!! Used them to send in my transcript request form, and hopefully it will speed up the process!!
T
his is the time where you appreciate some schools send their transcripts electronically while some schools still use the old fashioned paper copy.

I forgot to write that Dr. ____ is a professor on the LOR section, although her address is listed as my school's. Should I delete and re-upload the letter with this information?

I called AMCAS and they were not helpful, stating that the "professor" title is written on the letter portion so medical schools will already see this, so I should "do whatever I want."

Please advise this neurotic pre-med, thank you! :(

It
I forgot to write that Dr. ____ is a professor on the LOR section, although her address is listed as my school's. Should I delete and re-upload the letter with this information?

I called AMCAS and they were not helpful, stating that the "professor" title is written on the letter portion so medical schools will already see this, so I should "do whatever I want."

Please advise this neurotic pre-med, thank you! :(

It probably wont matter. To reload the letter, you may have to delete it and ask the letter writer to reload

https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/section-6-letters-evaluation/

Does your transcript have to be marked as received in order to submit on June 7?

Question about Work/Activities section: Is it ok to talk about the other activities mentioned as one of the 15 entries in a description of a separate activity to draw connections in my decision making/interests? For example, I was part of a clinical research team and met a doctor there who I then shadowed for a significant amount of time. These are two separate entries: Clinical research and shadowing. However, I want to talk about the shadowing in a meaningful experience slot and talk about how I first met the physician.

Separate question: do you think it's a good idea to have a shadowing experience (only ~40 hrs) take up a meaningful experience space? The alternative is to put the activity that I talked about mostly in my personal statement as the meaningful experience, but I thought that would be kinda redundant. Thoughts?

Does your transcript have to be marked as received in order to submit on June 7?

No. Transcripts or Primary Application can arrive first. However, you will not be in the verification queue until both arrive. So, if submit application on June 7th but transcript doesnt arrive until June 20th, it would be as if you submitted on June 20th. Both application and transcript must be received by AMCAS before processing will begin

Members don't see this ad :)
Question about Work/Activities section: Is it ok to talk about the other activities mentioned as one of the 15 entries in a description of a separate activity to draw connections in my decision making/interests? For example, I was part of a clinical research team and met a doctor there who I then shadowed for a significant amount of time. These are two separate entries: Clinical research and shadowing. However, I want to talk about the shadowing in a meaningful experience slot and talk about how I first met the physician.

You can do so but be aware that sure that same screener may not read the work/activities as will the meaningful experiences section. Applications can can broken up for review by different readers

Separate question: do you think it's a good idea to have a shadowing experience (only ~40 hrs) take up a meaningful experience space? The alternative is to put the activity that I talked about mostly in my personal statement as the meaningful experience, but I thought that would be kinda redundant. Thoughts?

If the activity was meaningful, impactful, or otherwise important to you anywhere along your path to wanting to be doctor or whatever other reason in your life, you can use it. I find applicant have the perception that all these need to school or medical related; they do not. I have seen meaningful experience such as:

Religious revelation (applicant discussed importance of god in her life)
Getting first camera (made a lifetime passion for photography and observing the world)
Being a small part in school play (a moment that someone overcome a real deep shyness and fear)
Being first on seen at a fatal traffic accident as a young teen

You can do so but be aware that sure that same screener may not read the work/activities as will the meaningful experiences section. Applications can can broken up for review by different readers

If the activity was meaningful, impactful, or otherwise important to you anywhere along your path to wanting to be doctor or whatever other reason in your life, you can use it. I find applicant have the perception that all these need to school or medical related; they do not. I have seen meaningful experience such as:

Religious revelation (applicant discussed importance of god in her life)
Getting first camera (made a lifetime passion for photography and observing the world)
Being a small part in school play (a moment that someone overcome a real deep shyness and fear)
Being first on seen at a fatal traffic accident as a young teen

Thank you very much for your advice. After reading about other meaningful experiences you listed, I've reflected a little on what truly has shaped my life/world view/challenged me. Even though I didn't play varsity basketball, partly because of all my injuries which I would talk about, basketball/staying in shape has always been a huge part of my life but has been accompanied by lots of challenges (ankle surgery in high school prevented me from playing basketball junior/senior year, broken wrist in college, broken foot after college, etc). Would talking about that as a meaningful experience be better than talking about shadowing, showing how these injuries have taught me a lot about health care as I navigate docs/xrays/bills etc but also about perseverance and psychologically pushing through my inability to do what I love: play basketball, run, and stay physically fit? Although shadowing has changed my outlook on life, basketball has been more of a consistent part of my life, but shadowing showed me the world of medicine to a degree I hadn't previously seen.

Thank you very much for your advice. After reading about other meaningful experiences you listed, I've reflected a little on what truly has shaped my life/world view/challenged me. Even though I didn't play varsity basketball, partly because of all my injuries which I would talk about, basketball/staying in shape has always been a huge part of my life but has been accompanied by lots of challenges (ankle surgery in high school prevented me from playing basketball junior/senior year, broken wrist in college, broken foot after college, etc). Would talking about that as a meaningful experience be better than talking about shadowing, showing how these injuries have taught me a lot about health care as I navigate docs/xrays/bills etc but also about perseverance and psychologically pushing through my inability to do what I love: play basketball, run, and stay physically fit? Although shadowing has changed my outlook on life, basketball has been more of a consistent part of my life, but shadowing showed me the world of medicine to a degree I hadn't previously seen.
my opinion would be yes. it seems to have genuine meaning in yout life and certainly adcoms want sincerity. also gives an adcom a break from "forced" meaningful experiences of research and shadowing. @Catalystik opinion would be valuable if I could impose

my opinion would be yes. it seems to have genuine meaning in yout life and certainly adcoms want sincerity. also gives an adcom a break from "forced" meaningful experiences of research and shadowing. @Catalystik opinion would be valuable if I could impose

Yes, I agree. Thanks so much. I would still like @Catalystik opinion if possible! :)

I've reflected a little on what truly has shaped my life/world view/challenged me. Even though I didn't play varsity basketball, partly because of all my injuries which I would talk about, basketball/staying in shape has always been a huge part of my life but has been accompanied by lots of challenges (ankle surgery in high school prevented me from playing basketball junior/senior year, broken wrist in college, broken foot after college, etc). Would talking about that as a meaningful experience be better than talking about shadowing, showing how these injuries have taught me a lot about health care as I navigate docs/xrays/bills etc but also about perseverance and psychologically pushing through my inability to do what I love: play basketball, run, and stay physically fit? Although shadowing has changed my outlook on life, basketball has been more of a consistent part of my life, but shadowing showed me the world of medicine to a degree I hadn't previously seen.
I would still like @Catalystik opinion if possible! :)
The impact from your injuries, attitude during recovery, and the personal insights you gained would be something I'd like to read and that would give me a better "feel" of who you are as a person. What you learned about navigating US healthcare: less so, but this can still be a part of such an essay.

Hey guys. So i got a question. During your experience section did you write about everything relating back to medicine? So for example i use to be in a religious club and we did volunteer work. If you guys have a similar experience did you say "...this is how medicine can help me" or whatever? Thanks!

The impact from your injuries, attitude during recovery, and the personal insights you gained would be something I'd like to read and that would give me a better "feel" of who you are as a person. What you learned about navigating US healthcare: less so, but this can still be a part of such an essay.
Thanks for your input. After thinking about it and reflecting, I completely agree. I think this is the better choice for meaningful experience. Thank you so much!!

If you held multiple positions in one same student club, does that count as two entries?
For example, I was one of the chair members in the club the in the same time I am also the treasurer of the club. The two positions had different responsibilities
I got a lot out from that club in terms of experience and leadership position-wise.

If you held multiple positions in one same student club, does that count as two entries?
For example, I was one of the chair members in the club the in the same time I am also the treasurer of the club. The two positions had different responsibilities
I got a lot out from that club in terms of experience and leadership position-wise.
Two spaces could be used, if each entry was strong enough to stand alone hours-wise and you had a lot to say about it. Considering they overlapped/coincided in time, most would probably list it in one space (either regular or Most Meaningful), titling it Officer Positions in XXX Club, or some such.

Two spaces could be used, if each entry was strong enough to stand alone hours-wise and you had a lot to say about it. Considering they overlapped/coincided in time, most would probably list it in one space (either regular or Most Meaningful), titling it Officer Positions in XXX Club, or some such.
Thanks for your feedback!! Each entry definitely has strong enough description (most likely both are meaningful). It's going to be hard to fit both positions in one description entry even when it is "significant" character count. It's like when you are both the chef and the accountant in the same restaurant. However, it gets a bit ambiguous when it comes to hours...because I usually work both positions' responsibilities together...not like I work 8-12 as chair and then 1-5pm the treasurer. Any input in this?

Each entry definitely has strong enough description (most likely both are meaningful). It's going to be hard to fit both positions in one description entry even when it is "significant" character count. It's like when you are both the chef and the accountant in the same restaurant. However, it gets a bit ambiguous when it comes to hours...because I usually work both positions' responsibilities together...not like I work 8-12 as chair and then 1-5pm the treasurer. Any input in this?
Split them as you will (perhaps putting a percentage of your good-faith estimate toward each, with say 40% to one and 60% to the other, depending on your impression of how the balance "felt"), just so long as you don't double count the same hours.

Alright I need some advice. I want to submit my AMCAS as early as possible, but I'm doing a very important internship this summer that is going to be a large part of my application that I definitely want to include. That being said, I don't want to submit my app until I'm well into the internship and can accurately describe what it is I'm doing, what more I will be doing, and why it's important (it will be one of my most meaningful experiences). The internship starts June 1 and goes 10 weeks into August. If I submit my app in July for this reason, is that waiting too long?

Alright I need some advice. I want to submit my AMCAS as early as possible, but I'm doing a very important internship this summer that is going to be a large part of my application that I definitely want to include. That being said, I don't want to submit my app until I'm well into the internship and can accurately describe what it is I'm doing, what more I will be doing, and why it's important (it will be one of my most meaningful experiences). The internship starts June 1 and goes 10 weeks into August. If I submit my app in July for this reason, is that waiting too long?

How can you know something will be a meaningful experience when you havent even begun it yet? And how do think an adcom will view your expression of something as meaningful that is happening in "now" and that you have had time to reflect upon?

I would say it is a bit late for something that can be expanded on later. You would be better off listing this in the EC with future end date (up to Aug 2017 is allowed) with an early June submission, then expand upon in the secondaries by using "anything else you want to tell us" section or your own update. Perhaps even an update at the end of August when you complete it.

How can you know something will be a meaningful experience when you havent even begun it yet? And how do think an adcom will view your expression of something as meaningful that is happening in "now" and that you have had time to reflect upon?

I would say it is a bit late for something that can be expanded on later. You would be better off listing this in the EC with future end date (up to Aug 2017 is allowed) with an early June submission, then expand upon in the secondaries by using "anything else you want to tell us" section or your own update. Perhaps even an update at the end of August when you complete it.

Thanks for the input, that makes sense. Also, I get my MCAT score June 21. Is waiting till then to submit my app too long or should I submit before then and hope I scored well enough without knowing?

Thanks for the input, that makes sense. Also, I get my MCAT score June 21. Is waiting till then to submit my app too long or should I submit before then and hope I scored well enough without knowing?

Applying to medical school without knowing your MCAT score is a dangerous risk and one of the top ten rules of what a premed shouldnt do.

1) How can you intelligently select a list of schools without knowing your MCAT scores
2) If your score is significantly higher than expected, you may not have those dream, reach schools on your list.
3) If your score is significantly lower, you may get screened out of all the schools on your list.
4) If you need to take the MCAT, you should be prepping for that and not using valuable time to prepare a full AMCAS
5) How can you speculatively pre-write secondary applications if you are not sure what your school list should be.

The tactic that some students use, and I am not overly fond of, is the "submit with 1 school" method. Here you prepare AMCAS as usual, but instead of all your schools, you list a single school. This allows your application to be processed and verified. When you get your MCAT score back, you can quickly add more schools and AMCAS will transmit a previously verified application in one business day. Which "1" school you should pick is a matter of opinion. You can pick a "throwaway" school, such as an out of state with low OOS rates. Or you could be pick a "high reach" school, one that you might have an outside chance with if you got a super MCAT score. In either case, you do not have to fill out the secondary (and pay the secondary fee) for this school, thus your application will effectively die. You should at some point in the cycle inform the "throwaway" or "high reach" school you are withdrawing your application.

I am not fond of this method as you should be spending time prepping for the all-important MCAT and not preparing a full AMCAS primary, which takes as much time for 1 school as it does for 25. So if you are in need of a improved MCAT and are taking one later in the cycle (from June on), you should prep for the exam and once you have taken it, but before the score in returned, you then can work on AMCAS and pre-write secondaries.

Lastly, what do you do if get a bad score on the MCAT retake. Applicants seriously need to consider not applying to any additional schools and skipping the cycle. Applying with a poor retake, especially one lower than your original score is likely lead you to being rejected and thus being in a weak position next cycle as a reapplicant next cycle.

Applying without knowing all your MCAT scores is a mistake that all applicants should avoid

Does being "verified" mean that they've already confirmed your activities are legitimate by calling/emailing your contacts, or does "verified" only refer to the transcript matching your entered courses?

If I am enrolling in a one-year Master's program beginning this fall, do I list that on my AMCAS application? I am attending Rosalind Franklin's BMS program beginning in August and I haven't been able to figure out how to add that to my application or if I should. RFU gives us a preliminary list of courses to add to AMCAS, but do I add RFU as a "school attended" and just list the date range as this upcoming school year? Is Biomedical Sciences my "major" and my individual track (Healthcare Administration, though not officially confirmed yet) my "minor"? Do I have RFU send AMCAS a letter stating that they won't have any transcripts for me yet because I haven't actually started yet? Or do I not list the BMS program at all? I believe I am a competitive applicant without the program, so I'm not trying to list the program as a GPA booster (not that I would have grades yet for that anyway), but I didn't want to leave it out and not be telling my full story nor list it incorrectly if I needed to include it. I read through the coursework section of the Instruction Manual but I'm still not entirely sure how to list a program I haven't even started yet. Or if I even need to.

Does being "verified" mean that they've already confirmed your activities are legitimate by calling/emailing your contacts, or does "verified" only refer to the transcript matching your entered courses?

transcript only. Activities are checked by individual schools. They are usually spot checked and not until later in the process when the pool of applicants are thinned

EDIT: post moved by user

Last edited:
If I am enrolling in a one-year Master's program beginning this fall, do I list that on my AMCAS application? I am attending Rosalind Franklin's BMS program beginning in August and I haven't been able to figure out how to add that to my application or if I should. RFU gives us a preliminary list of courses to add to AMCAS, but do I add RFU as a "school attended" and just list the date range as this upcoming school year? Is Biomedical Sciences my "major" and my individual track (Healthcare Administration, though not officially confirmed yet) my "minor"? Do I have RFU send AMCAS a letter stating that they won't have any transcripts for me yet because I haven't actually started yet? Or do I not list the BMS program at all? I believe I am a competitive applicant without the program, so I'm not trying to list the program as a GPA booster (not that I would have grades yet for that anyway), but I didn't want to leave it out and not be telling my full story nor list it incorrectly if I needed to include it. I read through the coursework section of the Instruction Manual but I'm still not entirely sure how to list a program I haven't even started yet. Or if I even need to.

I know you can add EC's with future end dates. I know you can add future course work. But I dont know if can add a future school as "school attended" with a future date. That would have be done. If you get the school added in "schools attended" section you then can list the courses as code "CC" which here mean future and not community college (bad choice of code letters for them)

I know you can add EC's with future end dates. I know you can add future course work. But I dont know if can add a future school as "school attended" with a future date. That would have be done. If you get the school added in "schools attended" section you then can list the courses as code "CC" which here mean future and not community college (bad choice of code letters for them)
I've tried and it is possible to add it as a school attended with future dates. The bigger question I have is am I required to/do I need to? More so because I don't actually know how to list it major/minor wise, nor how to handle the transcript processing/request aspect of that if I do add it, haha. I have no issues with adding it, but I didn't know if I was supposed to or not since there's not really an option nor a description in the instructions of how to outline future schooling at a school you've not yet studied at on the application. Which makes me feel like I don't HAVE to add it, but I don't want it to come off as I'm trying to hide it or I'm not being completely truthful in my application either. I promise I'm not trying to sound neurotic, I'm more generally confused!

I've tried and it is possible to add it as a school attended with future dates. The bigger question I have is am I required to/do I need to? More so because I don't actually know how to list it major/minor wise, nor how to handle the transcript processing/request aspect of that if I do add it, haha. I have no issues with adding it, but I didn't know if I was supposed to or not since there's not really an option nor a description in the instructions of how to outline future schooling at a school you've not yet studied at on the application. Which makes me feel like I don't HAVE to add it, but I don't want it to come off as I'm trying to hide it or I'm not being completely truthful in my application either. I promise I'm not trying to sound neurotic, I'm more generally confused!

You dont have to. Nor would it matter if your classes/major was not precisely accurate it future (untaken) and therefore not binding. You should mention it elsewhere in either PS or secondaries. Certainly healthcare admin masters can be part of the path to medicine.

On a separate note, is it better to list your experiences in a resume format or in paragraphs? I know this has been talked about to death but I'm still unclear. Some say paragraphs, some say bullet points. What are the pros and cons of each?
I personally would typically write more naturally in a paragraph form. However, I've also been told that no application review personnel want to read huge chunks of writing and they look upon the easier format/bulleted lists more favorably. I'm sure reading the broken up lists is a nice break from large paragraphs. So would a middle ground just be writing everything in sentences but breaking it up so that it isn't just listed as a large mass of writing, therefore isn't so intimidating to read? Or does it truly make absolutely no difference whatsoever?

Trying to form school list, using MSAR data. I am above the 90% for MCAT for most schools, so just comparing my sGPA/oGPA to the published MEDIAN values. How many GPA units above mine should I consider "out of reach?" for instance if my GPA is say 3.5, but a school has median GPA of 3.75 should I still consider that in my reach? looking for a plus/minus

This isnt so much an AMCAS process question as a more general question so I asked the moderator to move it. Others will have more indepth numeric answers for you but just a few thoughts.

1) It isnt a precise numeric relationship here, it is more of a balance of the scores
2) generally with GPA being a longer term measure of academic performance will have a greater impact on an adcom that a high MCAT for an "unbalanced" candidate, that is someone with a very high MCAT and a just a high GPA (as opposed to very high).
3) Other factors in your overall application may make you standout more and can help.
4) Grade Trends are important as well. Dont get caught up in a single number GPA as the "end all, be all"

This isnt so much an AMCAS process question as a more general question so I asked the moderator to move it. Others will have more indepth numeric answers for you but just a few thoughts.

1) It isnt a precise numeric relationship here, it is more of a balance of the scores
2) generally with GPA being a longer term measure of academic performance will have a greater impact on an adcom that a high MCAT for an "unbalanced" candidate, that is someone with a very high MCAT and a just a high GPA (as opposed to very high).
3) Other factors in your overall application may make you standout more and can help.
4) Grade Trends are important as well. Dont get caught up in a single number GPA as the "end all, be all"
Thanks, Moved it myself :)

On a separate note, is it better to list your experiences in a resume format or in paragraphs? I know this has been talked about to death but I'm still unclear. Some say paragraphs, some say bullet points. What are the pros and cons of each?
I personally would typically write more naturally in a paragraph form. However, I've also been told that no application review personnel want to read huge chunks of writing and they look upon the easier format/bulleted lists more favorably. I'm sure reading the broken up lists is a nice break from large paragraphs. So would a middle ground just be writing everything in sentences but breaking it up so that it isn't just listed as a large mass of writing, therefore isn't so intimidating to read? Or does it truly make absolutely no difference whatsoever?

Personally I think trying to do it both ways at once doesnt do justice to either. I think many applicants over look the impact an EC can make because they are not well written. While doing them as bullet points may serve well for "what" or "how much" you did , it does not say what you got from it or what it shows about you by example. Look at them as the first paragraph of a newspaper story. They should be concise, coherent, and compelling enough to make want to know more. So the who, what, when, why and how should be in there. Obviously some EC may not be that impactful. So dont try to make something more than it is or that you got more from it. My two cents

transcript only. Activities are checked by individual schools. They are usually spot checked and not until later in the process when the pool of applicants are thinned
How often to schools contact activity contacts to verify you actually did what you wrote? Is this common or only done if something looks fishy?

And if you are submitting a committee letter, do you only create one letter entry or also create additional entries for each writer + committee entry?

How often to schools contact activity contacts to verify you actually did what you wrote? Is this common or only done if something looks fishy?

neither. very broadly, items are more likely to be checked

The more prominent something is but less supported by LOR, links, citation
The further an application is along in the process
Most schools do a somewhat random spot checked thru out the process

Let me add that some schools may do a fairly complete check/validation as a post admission/ pre-matriculation step. They arent going to do a check of each hour you list but might do a check of several ECs for each pre-matriculant

And if you are submitting a committee letter, do you only create one letter entry or also create additional entries for each writer + committee entry?

One letter and it is the only letter you'll ever need

Last edited:
I have read the 2016 AMCAS Instruction manual and looked through past questions on this thread and I am still a bit confused. I would really appreciate it if someone could clear this up for me. I have about 115 units from community college. I started of as a nursing major before deciding to pursue medicine. In addition, I was unable to attend school every semester because of monetary constraints. As a result, I have a lot of extra units and my bachelor’s was earned in more than four years. My last two years (Junior and Senior) were at a 4-year university. Now my question, how do I input the 115 units to fit the FR and SO school year without exceeding the 0-32 credit hour guideline? I came across this, “Courses for a Bachelor's degree earned in more than four years should be assigned statuses of Freshman (FR), Sophomore (SO), Junior (JR), Senior (SR), Senior (SR), etc.” from the website- https://services.aamc.org/AMCAS2_2010/WebApp/Help/WebHelp/Course_Work_Year_in_School.htm

So, am I to fill out my community college school years as, FR, SO, JR, and SR in accordance to the 0-32 credit hour guideline? And then my last 2 years at the 4-year university as SR and SR? Thank you in advance

I have read the 2016 AMCAS Instruction manual and looked through past questions on this thread and I am still a bit confused. I would really appreciate it if someone could clear this up for me. I have about 115 units from community college. I started of as a nursing major before deciding to pursue medicine. In addition, I was unable to attend school every semester because of monetary constraints. As a result, I have a lot of extra units and my bachelor’s was earned in more than four years. My last two years (Junior and Senior) were at a 4-year university. Now my question, how do I input the 115 units to fit the FR and SO school year without exceeding the 0-32 credit hour guideline? I came across this, “Courses for a Bachelor's degree earned in more than four years should be assigned statuses of Freshman (FR), Sophomore (SO), Junior (JR), Senior (SR), Senior (SR), etc.” from the website- https://services.aamc.org/AMCAS2_2010/WebApp/Help/WebHelp/Course_Work_Year_in_School.htm

So, am I to fill out my community college school years as, FR, SO, JR, and SR in accordance to the 0-32 credit hour guideline? And then my last 2 years at the 4-year university as SR and SR? Thank you in advance

You can list your years via credit amounts OR actual years OR "effective" years (for lack of a better term). AMCAS wont change your status.

1) Credit amounts ... As in AMCAS. Freshman year can be much more than 35 credits if you start college with lots of AP
2) Actual years .... first year freshman, second sophmore, etc no matter how many credits you earn
3) "effective" or "real" year. Describe what is reasonable to best reflect what it should be seen as. This is what up would want to the adcom to see

Community college should be seen as only freshman or sophomore. In your in case, I would divide them up by "nursing major" as freshman and the rest as sophomore. Then 4 year school as junior, senior, (and add'l senior year if need be)

You can list your years via credit amounts OR actual years OR "effective" years (for lack of a better term). AMCAS wont change your status.

1) Credit amounts ... As in AMCAS. Freshman year can be much more than 35 credits if you start college with lots of AP
2) Actual years .... first year freshman, second sophmore, etc no matter how many credits you earn
3) "effective" or "real" year. Describe what is reasonable to best reflect what it should be seen as. This is what up would want to the adcom to see

Community college should be seen as only freshman or sophomore. In your in case, I would divide them up by "nursing major" as freshman and the rest as sophomore. Then 4 year school as junior, senior, (and add'l senior year if need be)

Thank you.

I realize that choosing a final number of schools is a delicate balance between selecting enough but not too many. I don't want quality of my secondaries to suffer.

I am casting a wide net, but how many schools is a solid number?

I realize that choosing a final number of schools is a delicate balance between selecting enough but not too many. I don't want quality of my secondaries to suffer.

I am casting a wide net, but how many schools is a solid number?
15 is average.*** I have 14 on my current list. That was increased from the 7 I originally had on my list, which my advisers still said I could do if I wanted to. I know one person who applied to 24 and I know another that's applying to 20 this cycle. I also know that my PCP only ever applied to one. I think it depends entirely on your stats and which schools you're applying to. None of my original 7 were a reach for my stats (none of them Ivy or even much higher than what I'm coming in with), but I'm also not a killer (not a 4.0, 520 MCAT) candidate so I didn't feel entirely comfortable not upping my chances. I would say I'm probably middle of the pack competitive so I'm leaning toward the average number of schools and am applying to schools that I'd be happy going to and I'm competitive for. That's how I gauged it.

*** EDIT: 15 is the average number accepted students have applied to in the past.

Last edited:
15 is average.*** I have 14 on my current list. That was increased from the 7 I originally had on my list, which my advisers still said I could do if I wanted to. I know one person who applied to 24 and I know another that's applying to 20 this cycle. I also know that my PCP only ever applied to one. I think it depends entirely on your stats and which schools you're applying to. None of my original 7 were a reach for my stats (none of them Ivy or even much higher than what I'm coming in with), but I'm also not a killer (not a 4.0, 520 MCAT) candidate so I didn't feel entirely comfortable not upping my chances. I would say I'm probably middle of the pack competitive so I'm leaning toward the average number of schools and am applying to schools that I'd be happy going to and I'm competitive for. That's how I gauged it.

*** EDIT: 15 is the average number accepted students have applied to in the past.

While this is an important question, it really isnt an AMCAS process, it should be the thread below

forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-many-md-schools-do-you-recommend-applying-to.1201352/

AMCAS hasn't gotten back to me, so I'll ask here until they do.

In high school, I attended a summer college course as a 'high school guest' at University #2. My freshman year, I attended University #1. I unenrolled from University #1 my sophomore year and transferred to University #2 due to hardship. At University #2, I did declare a major and was there as a degree-seeking student. After one semester, I transferred back to University #1, which is where I have finished my degree.

In terms of timing for University #1, do I use my freshman start date to my senior end date, even though I was away for a semester?
In terms of timing for University #2, do I use my high school summer start date to my sophomore year end date, even though I attended University #1 my freshman year?

AMCAS hasn't gotten back to me, so I'll ask here until they do.

In high school, I attended a summer college course as a 'high school guest' at University #2. My freshman year, I attended University #1. I unenrolled from University #1 my sophomore year and transferred to University #2 due to hardship. At University #2, I did declare a major and was there as a degree-seeking student. After one semester, I transferred back to University #1, which is where I have finished my degree.

In terms of timing for University #1, do I use my freshman start date to my senior end date, even though I was away for a semester?
In terms of timing for University #2, do I use my high school summer start date to my sophomore year end date, even though I attended University #1 my freshman year?
Correct. You use whatever time period envelops the whole of classes you attended at each school. As long as you'll only get one transcript for each school, that's how you'd enter it into AMCAS. If you get multiple transcripts from each, you enter each transcript as a different school entry.

Correct. You use whatever time period envelops the whole of classes you attended at each school. As long as you'll only get one transcript for each school, that's how you'd enter it into AMCAS. If you get multiple transcripts from each, you enter each transcript as a different school entry.

That is not entirely correct. Part of the purpose of you entering the course work is to reflect what your "real" or "effective" freshman year. I had a post a few back in this thread on the topic

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
College classes in HS are treated differently and should not considered "freshman
(p36)Assign High School (HS) status to college-level courses taken prior to the high
school graduation date you entered in the Schools Attended section, regardless of
the physical location of the college-level course.

In your case you will have something listed twice and the dates can overlap
HS - University 2
FR - University 1
SO - University 2

Status
Not open for further replies.