*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, it is that time of year again!

The AMCAS Application will be opening soon, and with it comes a ton of questions. The "Work and Activities" Section is probably the most talked about section. For reference, here are three older threads that contain lots of valuable information about this section:

Great tips for entering your "Work/Activities" for AMCAS (2005-2010 thread)
*~*~*~*Tips for Entering your "Work and Activities" in AMCAS*~*~*~* (2011-2012 thread)
*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2013-2014*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*

(Even though these threads are all quite long, you can still search those threads to find useful answers to your question)

All new threads dealing with this topic in Pre-Allo will be merged into this thread.

In the first few posts, the Moderation staff will be compiling a FAQ. Any suggestions for the FAQ are appreciated.

Some helpful, official AMCAS resources:
The 2015 Application Manual, especially section 5
AMCAS FAQ

REMINDER: Each thread has a search function. Please use it.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Please Note: This is a particularly difficult section of the application. On almost every point there are differing opinions, and ultimately you need to create the work and activities section that is best for you, but being consistent is important. Take all advice offered here as a piece of the solution, but often not the ultimate word on the subject.

This FAQ is a work in progress. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Work and Activities FAQ

1. What is the Work/Activities Section all about?
This is where you get to talk about your extracurricular activities, or "ECs" as they are referred to around SDN. This includes things like research experience, tutoring, academic awards, volunteer experience, clinical experience, etc. Everything that you ever wanted an admissions committee member (AdCom) to know about you to show that you are in fact a good candidate for medical school.

2. What kinds of categories can I put things in?
Artistic Endeavors
Community Service/Volunteer - Medical/Clinical
Community Service/Volunteer - Non Medical/Clinical
Conferences Attended
Extracurricular Activities
Hobbies
Honors/Award/Recognition
Intercollegiate Athletics
Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere
Military Service
Other
Paid Employment - Medical/Clinical
Paid Employment - Non Medical/Clinical
Physician Shadowing/Clinical Observation
Presentations/Posters
Publications
Research/Lab
Teaching/Tutoring/Teaching Assistant

3. What kinds of things should I put in each category?
Part of this will be a judgement call. Adcoms are aware that things may fall into more than one category. For instance, if you are a Lead TA, you may want to separate it into two entries, one for Leadership and the other for Teaching/Tutoring. If you feel like you are more deficient in one category than another, then you may want to list it in the category where you are lacking something to balance out your application.

Some examples of things to list in each category:

Leadership
-Club officer
-Student activism/government/Greek activities
-Starting a non-profit/student organization

Honors/Awards/Recognitions
-Academic awards such as honor societies, dean's list, etc.
-Interesting certifications or recognitions you have such as a black belt in a martial art, placing in a competition, certified as pilot, etc.
-Received competitive research position or project funding for which you applied.
-Phi Beta Kappa

Community Service - Medical/Clinical
-As LizzyM likes to put this one, if you are close enough to SMELL patients, it is clinical. This is pretty much the prevailing wisdom on SDN.

Community Service - Non-medical/Clinical
-If it doesn't fall into the above, you didn't get paid for it, and it isn't a leadership or teaching opportunity, it probably falls here
-Include things like volunteering for non-profits and charitable organizations, volunteer work you have done at your school, etc.

Teaching
-Includes not just TA or tutor, but also mentoring and coaching.

Most of the other categories should be pretty self-explanatory.

4. They are giving me a lot of space to describe each activity....how the heck should I enter them in? Is less more? Should I use up all available space?
Unfortunately...you will never get a clear cut answer to this one. But we can give you some possible techniques and advice

A - One school of thought is that this is not the time to pontificate. Describe the activity if it needs describing (if you think it is something an AdCom member will not know about) and otherwise, be pithy with your description. Many think that talking about what you learned from the activity is not appropriate in this section, and is better saved as material for secondary applications.

B - Another school of thought is that this is exactly the place to address why you got involved and/or what you learned from an activity because you may not get another chance in a secondary application. Those from California especially feel this pressure since most of the secondaries at California Med Schools are screened (you do not automatically get a secondary; they review your primary application first and decide if you are worthy). Because of this it is tempting to spew as much as possible here.

C - Approach C is a combination of the two approaches. Spew when necessary (an unusual activity that may need a little bit more explanation to understand its depth, and you learned a lot from but you are NOT addressing in your PS) and limited description of commonplace application items (ER scribe, general hospital volunteer, MCAT teacher/tutor).

You can really go down two general paths when it comes to entering the activities in: paragraph form or bullet points. Go with what comes most naturally to you, and don't force yourself to conform to a style that you think is inappropriate for the information you are trying to convey and your writing style.

Another trick for entering your activities is to use a catchall description that allows you to enter several different activities under one heading so that you are not wasting multiple spots. For example:

Activity: "Undergraduate Work Experience". Category: Paid Employment - Non-Military
Input the other header information (time span, total hours, contact, etc) for the first activity listed

Activity Description
Activity Description said:
Starbucks Barista
-Responsible for training new employees, customer service, and product ordering.
-Worked while attending school full time

Also:
Paid Intern - June 2008 - August 2008
-Worked at the Mayor's Office for the City of Memphis.
-Responsible for...
-Worked 40 hours per week while taking 1 summer class

Grocery Store Worker - August 2008 - May 2010
-Worked as a cashier for a major grocery store chain
-Worked 30 hours per week while attending school full time
-Responsible for....
By using this method, you are able to save 2 spaces in the Work/Activities section, but still are able to show that you have significant work experience and experience juggling a job and school.

5. Is work experience really that important for me to list? Who is going to care if I worked at a grocery store for 2 years, 20 hours a week, while in college?
Work experience is ABSOLUTELY important for you to list. There is a fantastic thread about this topic here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=813497

The short version: the work/activities section is there for you to show off all of your skills. Holding down a job while continuing to be a learner (student) is a huge skill that not every medical student can bring to the table. It also shows commitment and an ability to tolerate some suckage, something that every job has, no matter how much you may love it on some days.

6. Should I really list that I was on the dean's list/in an honor society?
Again....two schools of thought here. One is that many applicants have these things, so why list them. The other is that they won't know unless you tell them.

Again, a good trick for entering activities is to have a catch-all category like "Academic Recognition" where you then list the X number of awards/recognition that you have received. That way you are not taking up multiple spaces for things you don't want to emphasize.

7. Do AdCom members really contact people in the "Contact Information" field of this section? What should I do if I don't have a good contact for an activity?
In the past, AdCom members rarely contacted these people. However, the application changed a few years ago to require either a phone number or email address for a contact for most activities listed. Especially if an LOR about the activity was not submitted, be sure your contact is up-to-date and even forewarned, particularly if the activity was substantial and adds great appeal to your candidacy. Some schools check these in detail (usually before, but possibly even after accepting you) and others not so much, but you won’t know which is which.

There are certainly some activities that are difficult to list a contact, like an activity long ago. Here are a few hints: It is best to include the most impartial person possible (so list your mom as your absolute last resort) but you might find the need to list your roommate or your friend as a contact. Remember, if the contact is called or emailed, he or she only needs to provide reassurance to the adcomm that you described the activity faithfully. These are contacts not references so the person who responds does not need to answer questions about your abilities to succeed in medical school. Also, please read the AMCAS FAQ answer to this question.

8. Most Meaningful Activities
8a. Is there any benefit to marking three activities as "Most Meaningful" vs. just one?

Again, there are several schools of thought on this issue:
i. You are only obliged to list one activity as "Most Meaningful." If you can express yourself in the first 700 characters, adding 1325 characters about two other activities might bore admissions committee members.
ii. Admissions committees will pay special attention to the activities marked as "Most Meaningful" so mark three activities that are the strongest part of your application. Be sure not to add fluff in the extra space, perhaps including a concise story to help illustrate the "transformative nature of the experience."

8b. What happens if I wrote about my most meaningful activities in my personal statement?
It is best not to repeat information on your application. There are two options:
1. Pick different activities as your "Most Meaningful".
2. Rework your personal statement. For example, you could use your Personal Statement to address a specific story, patient, or moment, then use the "Most Meaningful" box to provide a more general, big picture message from the activity.

8c. Can I use the "Most Meaningful" box to continue the description of my activity? For example, can I use it to list the citations for all my posters and presentations?
It is best to use the box as AMCAS suggests on the application. Some creativity will be tolerated. Just don't ramble to fill space.

9. If I talk about something in my personal statement, should I still mention it in my Work/Activities Section?
Yes, definitely. Be sure to review Depakote's Personal Statement Guide/Tips since it is a bad idea to have your PS simply serve as a regurgitation of your Extracurricular activities.

10. How should I list Physician Shadowing?
Physician shadowing now has its own designation so it is no longer recommended to list it as "Other".

Some recommendations when listing physician shadowing: Group all of your shadowing together, giving a total hours for each physician. Additional relevant information such as their title ("MD" or "DO"), level of training if not an attending (resident, fellow, etc.), or other notes about the shadowing (i.e. shadowed only during office hours for a surgeon, only during image reading for a radiologist, etc.) can be included. There's no need to describe what shadowing is.

Here's an example of how shadowing can be listed:
Experience Type: Physician shadowing
Title: Physician Shadowing
Total Hours: Total hours shadowed
Contact info, organization name, and dates: Use the info for the first physician you want to list
Description:
Activity Description said:
John Smith, D.O., Family Medicine resident
13 hours in June 2011

Also:
Jill Smith, M.D., Pediatrician
New York Pediatrics
800-000-0000
20 hours in June 2011

Jane Smith, M.D., General Surgeon
New York Surgical Associates
800-000-0000
13 hours in January and February 2011, during general and bariatric office hours

James Smith, M.D., Radiologist
New York Radiology Associates
800-000-0000
7 hours in May 2011, during image reading

11. How many spaces are there for activities? How many of them should I use? Should I be trying to fill them all?
You have 15 spaces to list your activities. However, most applicants DO NOT use all of them. You should not try to "spread out" your activities for the sake of filling more slots. Be sure that every activity is worthy of being included and that they all improve the admission committee's understanding of you as the applicant.

12. Should I really be talking about my hobbies or artistic endeavors?
If you have some, then list them! Not all adcomm members will read them, but some like to know what you do to relieve stress and unwind. Group them all together.

Some are confused between listing an activity as a hobby or an artistic endeavor. The prevailing SDN opinion about artistic endeavors is that they involve reaching a wider audience (ie publishing or performing instead of just writing and practicing). A hobby is more personal with a limited audience.

13. Should I list something that I plan for the future but haven't started yet? Can end dates be projected into the future?
The AMCAS application will not accept future months for your start date. If an activity is ongoing, the end date can be no later than the intended start of medical school (ie, August at the end of the current cycle). Note that some categories only require one date, like Awards, Presentations/Posters, and Publications.

14. How should I list publications? What if some of them are "submitted" but not actually accepted yet?
Publications are worthy of their own slot, even if you already have a "Research" slot. For contact, use your PI that you worked with. For organization, you can use the name of the organization that publishes the journal. For date, use the publication date, or if accepted for publication but not yet published, use the accepted date. In the description, it is a good idea to include enough of a citation for an adcomm member to find the paper if he/she is curious enough to look it up. Some adcomm members find it helpful to include enough of the author's list so that your place in the authorship can be determined.

If a publication is only submitted or needs major revisions, then it is still a future activity which you cannot include. If it is published, accepted for publication, or accepted pending minor revisions then you can include it.

15. How far back should I go listing activities?
Any activity you engaged in after High School graduation may be considered potentially relevant. Strictly speaking, there is no rule that you can't include a High School-only activity, but if you do so, it should add substantially to your application, so you aren't wasting space for something that adcomms are unlikely to regard. This would include Experiences that began during HS (or even before) and either continued into the college years or resumed sometime later. Examples of life-long activities that might help your application would be music or dance involvement.

If you are a nontraditional applicant, then your more recent accomplishments are the most important to highlight. In that case, consider grouping your most important college-aged activities together under the "Other" designation.

16. What order should I input my activities in?
It doesn't matter! The AMCAS application automatically organizes the activities in a chronological order. Adcomms can change how the activities appear for their report but you can't alter the order.

17. What if the "Total Hours" for one of my activities is more than 999 hours?
Though the directions state that 999 is the maximum hours that can be entered, one can now input 99,999 Total Hours.

18. How should I go about naming an activity?
-If your position comes with a title, you can use that if it reflects what you do adequately, eg, Vice President of a Student Rockclimbing Association (especially if the name of the organization is Hawkeye Mountain Goats, which doesn't tell us enough). Or, Research Affiliate, vs Research Associate, vs Research Tech, vs Researcher on Infant Cognition Project.

-If you are a general member of an organization and will hold a higher office in the future, since it can't be listed under Leadership on its own before you start the position, you can sneak it into the application with the title you pick, eg: General Member and President-Elect of Campus Recycling Initiative.

-If the activity covers two categories, since you can only designate one, in some instances you might choose a name that conveys the other designation. For example, Research/Lab can be paid, volunteer, or via class credit. Unless you are washing glassware, you might decide to select Research/Lab so it won't be overlooked, but could title the activity Animal Handler for Smith Lab through Work/Study Program. Exception: If your research activity earns class credit, the transcript will speak to this so it isn't necessary to repeat the information.

-If you are grouping multiple similar activities together to save space, be sure the title you pick encompases all of them, eg, Summer Camp Volunteerism, or College Seasonal Employment, or E-Publications of Graphic Novels, or Searchable Published Abstracts, or Leisuretime Activities, or Undergraduate Recognitions, or Fraternity Involvement.

-Try not to repeat the same organization name in the title you give the activity. Example:
For an experience titled: President of Pre-Medical Society, avoid using Organization: Pre-Med Society. Instead, consider an alternative for the organization name: perhaps incorporating AED spelled out, or Office of Collegiate Affairs (or whatever dept oversees all student organizations), or your school's name.

Reactions: 1 users
FAQ (continued):

19. What would I use the "Repeated" button for?
Say you volunteered at the same hospital for three summers in a row. All the header information is the same for each summer experience but your participation wasn't continuous. So you can fill in a separate date range for each of the three summers and enter a different Total Hours. The same might apply to sport team involvement, thespian commitments, marathons run, seasonal job with the same company, etc. Note: The program will give you an error message if you don't enter them in chronological order. And it won't save the information you enter until the problem is corrected.

Another potential use would be to differentiate completed hours vs future projected hours for an activity in which you are already engaged, by using the current month as the End Date for the first date span and then again as the Start Date for the future hours.

20. How do I describe my Research-related activities?

Some Research description guidelines (YMMV):

Each project can start with a one-sentence nontechnical description that a lay person can understand. After that feel free to use jargon, if you have space for more discussion. Insert techniques you used. Don't feel compelled to add them all if there are 10.

Feel free to sort them into more than one space if you have multiple experiences. If grouping them, sort by timeframe, project type or discipline, importance, by class credit/volunteer vs employment.

You will have to decide how to present these experiences to best represent you. Perhaps projects from long ago need less emphasis. Those most recent will likely serve you better if more detail is given.

Any poster, pub, or presentation that took place at a campus venue should be mentioned with the affiliated Research entry. Any that occurred at a regional/national location or journal deserves its own spot, if you have space. If any of those data sharings came out of the same project, they could be mentioned together in one spot tagged under the highest prestige format:

National Pub > Regional Pub > Abstract in a national journal > National Poster/Presentation > Regional Poster/Presentation > abstract in a conference brochure > campus pub > campus poster/presentation.

Any format for citation is fine, including abbreviated versions when you are short on space. Long author lists can be shortened by stating your place on the list, the PIs name, and et al. PMID# can substitute for much of a citation if necessary.

If the data set from the campus presentation was later presented in poster format at a regional conference and then finally published in a national journal, you would cite is under Publication and then mention after the citation in the same space, "Data also presented orally at DDDD College Research Symposium x/x/xx, and again as a poster that won second place at the YYY Conference in Tucson z/zz/zz date."

If you were not the presenter for your poster, but your name is on the author list, you can include it, but give credit to the presenter, as research is a team sport, and it's important to give credit where it is due. If you presented, it's fine to say so.

There is little value in using a Conferences Attended slot, if you have already mentioned the name of the conference in a Posters/Presentation or Publications entry.

A manuscript in preparation or submitted doesn't belong on the application, but if you feel compelled to mention it regardless, add it at the end of a research description on the affiliated project.

If you wrote the grant that got funding or navigated an IRB process, mention it.

Use the MM space for impact, insights, how you were inspired, future directions. If some of the research description spills over into this space, you won't be the only one who's used it that way. Just be sure that at the 700 character mark you end a paragraph so it will flow smoothly into the MM space (which is distinguished by a blank line, like a paragraph break).

Succinctness is always good.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Already have some questions lined up (albeit I'm a bit early...)

1) I am missing a psychology or humanities requirement for some schools. Should I simply list I will take the ONE required class in Spring prior to matriculation on my AMCAS (because you can put future classes on it) so they know I will take it if I need to?

2) How should publications that have been edited and submitted to peer-reviewed journals be listed? Will schools accept update letters PRIOR to interview invites? My timing kinda sucks and I don't know when my papers will actually get in a journal, but it will be at some point over the summer

3) I have a gap year full-time internship that will also allow me authorship on multiple publications and posters (not being pretentious, it was literally in the description when I applied and it's VERY competitive). Is it OK to say that I will be working on these and I have guaranteed authorship as they come? I want to put my best foot forward, especially for the research heavy schools.

4) Is it OK to list volunteering hours with the addition of predicted hours by matriculation? Should I only list hours that I've done so far even though I will be doing more and I can prolong them to a future date on the application? What's the consensus here?

5) Should research fellowships be placed as their own separate category from academic honors and include the abstract?

6) Might not have enough room for this, but with an employment/research-heavy application, would it be a good idea to provide employment info for my summer coming into college?

7) Should I list a clinical volunteering research position (collecting data from records, making databases, literature searches, manuscript editing, making posters, etc.) as clinical volunteering or non-clinical volunteering? I already have 3 unique research entries on my AMCAS and I don't want to make this the 4th.

That's all for now, thanks everyone :)

Already have some questions lined up (albeit I'm a bit early...)

1) I am missing a psychology or humanities requirement for some schools. Should I simply list I will take the ONE required class in Spring prior to matriculation on my AMCAS (because you can put future classes on it) so they know I will take it if I need to?

2) How should publications that have been edited and submitted to peer-reviewed journals be listed? Will schools accept update letters PRIOR to interview invites? My timing kinda sucks and I don't know when my papers will actually get in a journal, but it will be at some point over the summer

3) I have a gap year full-time internship that will also allow me authorship on multiple publications and posters (not being pretentious, it was literally in the description when I applied and it's VERY competitive). Is it OK to say that I will be working on these and I have guaranteed authorship as they come? I want to put my best foot forward, especially for the research heavy schools.

4) Is it OK to list volunteering hours with the addition of predicted hours by matriculation? Should I only list hours that I've done so far even though I will be doing more and I can prolong them to a future date on the application? What's the consensus here?

5) Should research fellowships be placed as their own separate category from academic honors and include the abstract?

6) Might not have enough room for this, but with an employment/research-heavy application, would it be a good idea to provide employment info for my summer coming into college?

7) Should I list a clinical volunteering research position (collecting data from records, making databases, literature searches, manuscript editing, making posters, etc.) as clinical volunteering or non-clinical volunteering? I already have 3 unique research entries on my AMCAS and I don't want to make this the 4th.

I have opinions on some of these, but adcoms will know better.

1)no idea
2)In a similar boat, perhaps put it in the description of the activity, but not as a separate entry
3) I would probably talk about how competitive it is, but it might sound pretentious to say you have guaranteed authorship. Maybe that you expect to be published by the end of the internship
4)You just have to clearly delineate hours that have been completed and estimated hours. I think estimated hours are considered as fairly nebulous. They will mostly be evaluating your application as it stands now and what you have done, not what you will do.
5)yeah, I would separate them
6)doesn't sound like it would help very much.
7)non clinical volunteering, and then if they decide that it is clinical volunteering, great, but I think it works more in your favor for them to switch it to clinical than the other way around. Also, you don't have any direct patient exposure, so it doesn't meet the LizzyM criteria

Hope that helped!

Sorry if this has already been discussed. Is it recommended to list study abroad experiences? And would that just go in "other"? Although it wasn't technically abroad, I spent a month in D.C. with a Poli Sci class learning about policy making and it really sparked my interest in healthcare policy. This obviously isn't my reason for pursuing medicine but it is something that has shaped my character and was certainly very meaningful.

1) Yes. That way schools that care are aware you have a plan. It is not a binding agreement to take the class, though, so other schools won't hold you to it. You will be obliged to provide a final official transcript to prove you completed the class.

2) Please don't call it a publication until it is accepted. The term "manuscript" or "paper" is better. I agree with @tea guzzling traveler (TGT) you could mention it in the associated Research entry. Or not, if you are short on space.

3) I agree with TGT about describing the internship to which you were accepted, how competitive it is, and maybe the project you'll be working on, but even saying you expect to be published comes across as pretentious to me. Sometimes life events get in the way of expectations. Don't upsell yourself. If you won't be starting until after you submit, you could mention the internship acceptance at the end of a "Most Meaningful" Research entry, rather than giving it its own space.

4) Agree with TGT. Use two date spans to differentiate completed and future hours. You can enter the current month for both the end date of completed hours and start date of future plans. Or alternatively, mention future plans in the narrative box with estimated hours there.

5) Yes, as TGT said.

6) Depends on the job and whether you feel its adds substantially to your candidacy.

7) TGT is correct.

Sorry if this has already been discussed. Is it recommended to list study abroad experiences? And would that just go in "other"? Although it wasn't technically abroad, I spent a month in D.C. with a Poli Sci class learning about policy making and it really sparked my interest in healthcare policy. This obviously isn't my reason for pursuing medicine but it is something that has shaped my character and was certainly very meaningful.
Though you got a grade for it and the experience is already on your transcript, that doesn't mean you can't give it a space (Other is a good choice) and more fully describe what you did and its impact.

I tried to research this under the previous threads, but I couldn't seem to find a clear-cut answer. I will be starting an internship (which includes shadowing but is focused mainly on my own research project under the direction of a physician in the field) on June 1st. I will be paid a stipend. I am debating whether or not to include it in my activities section or wait until my secondaries because I will be submitting my application (on June 2nd) with only one day of the internship completed. Thoughts anyone?

I tried to research this under the previous threads, but I couldn't seem to find a clear-cut answer. I will be starting an internship (which includes shadowing but is focused mainly on my own research project under the direction of a physician in the field) on June 1st. I will be paid a stipend. I am debating whether or not to include it in my activities section or wait until my secondaries because I will be submitting my application (on June 2nd) with only one day of the internship completed. Thoughts anyone?

If you have room I don't see why not. I started at a volunteer program the summer of my application and by the time I submitted my app, I only did a weeks worth of work. I said something along the lines of "starting the summer of my junior year, I started volunteering at X for X amount of hours per week. My responsibilities included X, Y, Z, etc" Obviously you probably aren't gonna label it as one of your most significant ECs but you can certainly still put it in the application, and you'll be able to talk about it if it comes up in interviews

I'm a bit confused by the "leadership" category. If I was involved in an activity for a while but only held a leadership position part of that time, would I still categorize the whole thing as leadership? It seems weird to label a whole activity as "leadership" when that was only part of my involvement, but I also feel like I should have at least something in that category. Thoughts?

I'm a bit confused by the "leadership" category. If I was involved in an activity for a while but only held a leadership position part of that time, would I still categorize the whole thing as leadership? It seems weird to label a whole activity as "leadership" when that was only part of my involvement, but I also feel like I should have at least something in that category. Thoughts?
I agree with your concern. The category actually reads Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere. If you use this designation, you'd enter the dates of the actual leadership position for Start and End dates, title it President of Prairie Restoration Society, then mention the time as a general member in the narrative (eg, "After two years of involvement, learning about . . ." or "I joined this group in 9/2012 due to my interest in re-establishing the local pheasant population . . .".

An alternative would be to list the activity under another designation (maybe Extracurricular), title it something like General Member and then President of Prairie Restoration Society that makes the leadership component crystal clear. Then you could use dates encompassing the entire span of your involvement with the group, specifying the leadership dates in the narrative.

Thank you for the replies to my previous post!

New question: when describing shadowing any physicians or if you're doing research with a renowned physician, is it OK to state their title and institutional affiliations (i.e. Professor at X SOM, clinical instructor at X, director of X, etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with your concern. The category actually reads Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere. If you use this designation, you'd enter the dates of the actual leadership position for Start and End dates, title it President of Prairie Restoration Society, then mention the time as a general member in the narrative (eg, "After two years of involvement, learning about . . ." or "I joined this group in 9/2012 due to my interest in re-establishing the local pheasant population . . .".

An alternative would be to list the activity under another designation (maybe Extracurricular), title it something like General Member and then President of Prairie Restoration Society that makes the leadership component crystal clear. Then you could use dates encompassing the entire span of your involvement with the group, specifying the leadership dates in the narrative.
Thanks! That's really helpful. If I organized a charity event, do you think I could list that as leadership? It was peripherally related to another activity I'm involved in, but since it seems like leadership is something I ought to draw attention to, maybe I should give it a separate entry?

Thanks! That's really helpful. If I organized a charity event, do you think I could list that as leadership? It was peripherally related to another activity I'm involved in, but since it seems like leadership is something I ought to draw attention to, maybe I should give it a separate entry?
Did you have subcommittees or persons to whom you delegated tasks? Did you have overall responsibility? Then yes. If you did all the work yourself, then no.

New question: when describing shadowing any physicians or if you're doing research with a renowned physician, is it OK to state their title and institutional affiliations (i.e. Professor at X SOM, clinical instructor at X, director of X, etc)
Yes. There is a space for you to enter the title of your contact person.

Hi all,
So I'm a non-traditional student (27 and out of school for 5 years.) how far back should I list my activities? (obviously nothing from high school) but what can I list from college? I have stuff like TA, President of Student Advisory Committee, work experience, scholarships etc. (I did research but what I have now is much more important)

Also, some of my best EC's were with the same "place" but different jobs and responsibilities, do i list these together or split them up? I don't want to seem like I'm trying to fill the section frivolously, but they are so different. Ex: working for the department of health as a Sex Ed teacher for at risk teens, HIV testing, HIV counseling, Teaching others how to test and counsel. I also have research, I've got 3 different projects with 2 PI's with various publications, poster and oral presentation, can I list these separately?

Hi all,
So I'm a non-traditional student (27 and out of school for 5 years.) how far back should I list my activities? (obviously nothing from high school) but what can I list from college? I have stuff like TA, President of Student Advisory Committee, work experience, scholarships etc. (I did research but what I have now is much more important)

Also, some of my best EC's were with the same "place" but different jobs and responsibilities, do i list these together or split them up? I don't want to seem like I'm trying to fill the section frivolously, but they are so different. Ex: working for the department of health as a Sex Ed teacher for at risk teens, HIV testing, HIV counseling, Teaching others how to test and counsel. I also have research, I've got 3 different projects with 2 PI's with various publications, poster and oral presentation, can I list these separately?
You can list anything you like from college that you feel adds to your candidacy. You might group a number of them under "umbrella" titles that cover everything in the group, saving individual listings for more impactful experiences.

For current activities, you can lump or split out the roles you held with one organization as you feel best presents them, and based on the space you need for adequate description. Keep in mind that for the three Most Meaningful activities you'll get an additional 1325 characters above the base 700 that any narrative box allows.

You may list posters, presentations, and publications separately, but where the data is the same, you'd be better off listing the most prestigious presentation of your work, eg citing a pubication, and secondarily mentioning lesser venues (national posters & presentations, school conferences) at the end of that narrative box.

Thanks for your help! I'll be presenting at a medical conference June 10-15, but the first date to submit the AMCAS for verification is June 2, so do I have to wait for the conference to be over or can I submit with this on my experience at June 2? It will be listed as part of a larger research experience with a publication as well (not related to the oral presentation).

Thanks for your help! I'll be presenting at a medical conference June 10-15, but the first date to submit the AMCAS for verification is June 2, so do I have to wait for the conference to be over or can I submit with this on my experience at June 2? It will be listed as part of a larger research experience with a publication as well (not related to the oral presentation).
If you didn't do it by the day of submission, you shouldn't list it as a Presentation, though you could mention it was accepted in the associated Research entry. That said, it sounds like you have been highly productive in the realm of research already and might prefer to have something new on tap for Secondaries and update letters later in the cycle.

hi. I am doing an honors thesis. What part of the work/activities section should I list that under?

hi. I am doing an honors thesis. What part of the work/activities section should I list that under?

Lookie here:
One big gap in my application is a lack of major research experience. I did complete an honors biology thesis my senior year, which I talk about in secondaries whenever questions about research come up. However, my activities list really has no research mentioned. Would it be appropriate to have "honors senior thesis" as an activity? It did take a significant amount of time and was an original piece of research. However it's already on my transcript, I'm not sure how this works.
It's often done. You can list the experience under Other, and name it just as you did here. Even though applicants get academic credit for their research, it is still approrpriate to mention it under the Research designation. So, too, in your situation.

As a follow-up to this – my senior essay was in the social sciences and generally unrelated to health care (though the research findings are applicable to health care). My advisor is writing an LOR (expected to be my strongest one) and has said he will comment on my work.

Since it's non-science, is it worth giving its own experience box? I wouldn't want to bore some poor adcom about the subtlety in constitutional law I wrote on and its implications if it's a low-yield effort..

^I actually have a similar dilemma as @LJN Ltd.
For your dilemma, I would probably give it an experience box, just not the most meaningful.

So I have two main problems from the work/activities section. First of all, I have over 15 activities, so I was wondering whether to include a something farther in the past (i.e. 2011/2012), where I volunteered for about 50-60 hours or to put a grouped activity to demonstrate what I'm planning on doing during the application year. It was one of my earlier volunteer experiences (nonclinical ESL mentoring), and the first one that I can put for the purposes of AMCAS (I did other volunteering in high school and have since done much more). The other option would be to lump all the clinical/nonclinical volunteering I am doing for the next year together and give the adcoms a better idea for what I was doing in the coming year.

The second major problem is which meaningful activities to select. In general, do you select the activities that you have already mentioned, just talk about them in a different way? Or do you select activities that you have not really talked about yet, to present other sides of yourself. And here is the similar part: What if you have a LOR talking about one of the activities, do you select that to create cohesion, or do you select another, because that was already talked about? Do you choose activities that feature prominently in the PS or not as much?

I did a clinical internship a year ago that had three rotations (ER, surgery, primary care) where we shadowed doctors. I don't necessarily remember the names of all the doctors I shadowed in the ER/OR as it was different every week. How should I go about listing this?

my senior essay was in the social sciences and generally unrelated to health care (though the research findings are applicable to health care). My advisor is writing an LOR (expected to be my strongest one) and has said he will comment on my work.

Since it's non-science, is it worth giving its own experience box? I wouldn't want to bore some poor adcom about the subtlety in constitutional law I wrote on and its implications if it's a low-yield effort..
Adcomms come from backgrounds as varied as med school candidates. Some will be interested and others won't. You have to decide if describing the experience of completing a thesis in this area reveals a facet of your personality or interests that will add to your appeal. The fact that a faculty member thinks highly of your effort inclines me to think that it may.

I did a clinical internship a year ago that had three rotations (ER, surgery, primary care) where we shadowed doctors. I don't necessarily remember the names of all the doctors I shadowed in the ER/OR as it was different every week. How should I go about listing this?
Use the person who coordinated the actity as your contact.

Use the facility with which the majority of docs were affiliated as the location.

List what docs' names you know or can fit, with specialty and total hours for each, and maybe add at the end, "Also shadowed a plastic surgeon during 5 office hours, an endocrinologist for 5 hours, and multiple staff ED physicians for 25 hours.". Or some such.

1) So I have two main problems from the work/activities section. First of all, I have over 15 activities, so I was wondering whether to include a something farther in the past (i.e. 2011/2012), where I volunteered for about 50-60 hours or to put a grouped activity to demonstrate what I'm planning on doing during the application year. It was one of my earlier volunteer experiences (nonclinical ESL mentoring), and the first one that I can put for the purposes of AMCAS (I did other volunteering in high school and have since done much more). The other option would be to lump all the clinical/nonclinical volunteering I am doing for the next year together and give the adcoms a better idea for what I was doing in the coming year.

2) The second major problem is which meaningful activities to select. In general, do you select the activities that you have already mentioned, just talk about them in a different way? Or do you select activities that you have not really talked about yet, to present other sides of yourself. And here is the similar part: What if you have a LOR talking about one of the activities, do you select that to create cohesion, or do you select another, because that was already talked about? Do you choose activities that feature prominently in the PS or not as much?
1) Read post #18. Don't spend a lot of time on future activities as they won't be much regarded. You'll be judged primarily with what you accomplished before submission. Your Secondaries, update letters, and interview conversations are a better place for highlighting subsequent involvement.

2) The strategy for MM choices can be based on the need for more space or on what you think adcomms will want to see. If you choose one already discussed in the PS, then don't repeat anecdotes. Maybe one area could dwell on job description/role and the other on impetus for involvement/ impact, or some such.

Either approach is fine so long as you avoid a lot of repetition and the final result is a thing of cohesive, concise beauty that best represents you.

So I have a question and its probably been asked before (yes I used the search function, no I didn't see it).

I am president of my graduate school student government and I am awarded a stipend for this leadership role. I'd like to list this experience as "leadership-not listed elsewhere" but since I'm paid, should this be listed as paid non-clinical employment? Or am I missing a third, and more obvious option?

I am president of my graduate school student government and I am awarded a stipend for this leadership role. I'd like to list this experience as "leadership-not listed elsewhere" but since I'm paid, should this be listed as paid non-clinical employment? Or am I missing a third, and more obvious option?

I think it's most appropriate to list it as Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere. And a "stipend" isn't considered a wage, BTW.

I have a longterm volunteer experience for the past >2 years that I've been involved in, and will also spend a significant amount of time at this site for experiential academic credit for an ~1 month period of time. During the experiential academic credit portion i will be performing the same activities that i did as a volunteer except i'll be there on a more consistent basis and will be earning credit. Would i include the hours from the experiential portion with the volunteer hours or do i need to list as separate activity? If it matters I'll have ~600hr accumulated for strictly volunteer time and ~250hr from the academic credit time.

I have a longterm volunteer experience for the past >2 years that I've been involved in, and will also spend a significant amount of time at this site for experiential academic credit for an ~1 month period of time. During the experiential academic credit portion i will be performing the same activities that i did as a volunteer except i'll be there on a more consistent basis and will be earning credit. Would i include the hours from the experiential portion with the volunteer hours or do i need to list as separate activity? If it matters I'll have ~600hr accumulated for strictly volunteer time and ~250hr from the academic credit time.
What is the activity and your role?

Last edited:
@jagster92 You are providing a community service, regardless of the fact that you are getting college credit for a portion of it. Feel free to list all of it together. If you like, you could mention the dates of the curricular component within the body of the narrative (so it will match up with your transcript), but I don't feel this is essential.

@jagster92 You are providing a community service, regardless of the fact that you are getting college credit for a portion of it. Feel free to list all of it together. If you like, you could mention the dates of the curricular component within the body of the narrative (so it will match up with your transcript), but I don't feel this is essential.
Awesome Thanks for the advice!

Should I put EVERY scholarship I received? Even like the Tennessee hope scholarship which is really easy to get?

Also there was a research poster competition at my school and I got 2nd place for the science only competition day, but got 1st place for the university wide poster competition day (which a lot bigger and has more people than the science only one). So should I list these as separate awards or put them together and indicate my placement for each of them? If I should put them together in one slot, how would I go about naming the activity like should I state the placement I got in the title? Or should I just say something like "research poster placed in scholars day competition"?

Should I put EVERY scholarship I received? Even like the Tennessee hope scholarship which is really easy to get?

Also there was a research poster competition at my school and I got 2nd place for the science only competition day, but got 1st place for the university wide poster competition day (which a lot bigger and has more people than the science only one). So should I list these as separate awards or put them together and indicate my placement for each of them? If I should put them together in one slot, how would I go about naming the activity like should I state the placement I got in the title? Or should I just say something like "research poster placed in scholars day competition"?

I would not make a new entry for this. Either group them with your other awards or include them in your description for the corresponding research activity.

Edit: oops, I didn't notice this was a Catalystik thread. Don't mean to intrude, sorry

It's fine to include just the scholarships that you feel add to your candidacy. I would group them.
I would not make a new entry for this. Either group them with your other awards or include them in your description for the corresponding research activity.
For the second question, I agree with this. ;) And I'd include the placement.

I just filled out a mock AMCAS for a personal advisor of mine to look over (an RWJ clinical fellow at a med school) and she commented that when she was a med student on an adcom, it wasn't good to constantly group activities together.

She's of attending age by now, so this advice is like outdated right? With 15 spots, I can't see how I'd fit anything if I don't group lol and it seems like the rest of SDN does the same thing. Just checking..

I just filled out a mock AMCAS for a personal advisor of mine to look over (an RWJ clinical fellow at a med school) and she commented that when she was a med student on an adcom, it wasn't good to constantly group activities together.

She's of attending age by now, so this advice is like outdated right? With 15 spots, I can't see how I'd fit anything if I don't group lol and it seems like the rest of SDN does the same thing. Just checking..
If all 15 spaces are packed with multiple activities, they will be fatiguing to read. Many of the spaces should represent single activities with substantial detailed narrative.

Is it commonplace to have a most meaningful experience slot used for physician shadowing? My other 2 are not clinically related, but I really think I should have something clinically related as one of my three, especially since I got a LOR out of it. Any suggestions? For adcoms, does it even matter to have a clinical experience as your most meaningful, or is it just related to personal growth? If so, I would replace it with a lengthy employment experience. I am torn!!

If all 15 spaces are packed with multiple activities, they will be fatiguing to read. Many of the spaces should represent single activities with substantial detailed narrative.
Thanks. "Narrative," meaning a description of what was done or also including reflections on why the activity was meaningful?

Is it commonplace to have a most meaningful experience slot used for physician shadowing? My other 2 are not clinically related, but I really think I should have something clinically related as one of my three, especially since I got a LOR out of it. Any suggestions? For adcoms, does it even matter to have a clinical experience as your most meaningful, or is it just related to personal growth? If so, I would replace it with a lengthy employment experience. I am torn!!
Was it really a most meaningful experience? If so, mark it. If not, don't.

It does not seem like it was really that meaningful to you, or else you wouldn't have a dilemma whether to choose it. "I think I should have something clinically related and so I'm gonna pander to that impression" is not a plan for success.

Was it really a most meaningful experience? If so, mark it. If not, don't.

It does not seem like it was really that meaningful to you, or else you wouldn't have a dilemma whether to choose it. "I think I should have something clinically related and so I'm gonna pander to that impression" is not a plan for success.

Yes, it definitely was a most meaningful experience, especially since I already wrote everything I wanted to say about it because I almost applied last cycle. The problem is that I don't know how well being an "observer" as an experience really comes across. This is why I'm asking.

Yes, it definitely was a most meaningful experience, especially since I already wrote everything I wanted to say about it because I almost applied last cycle. The problem is that I don't know how well being an "observer" as an experience really comes across. This is why I'm asking.
Fair question then! I think generally shadowing is very passive and not worth using a most meaning experience box on, but adcoms should chime in.

Thanks. "Narrative," meaning a description of what was done or also including reflections on why the activity was meaningful?
Meaning description, role, and/or impact, as seems suited to the activity. Not all elements need to be included in the free-text (narrative) space for every activity.

Is it commonplace to have a most meaningful experience slot used for physician shadowing?
It is less common, but perhaps that is because premeds don't generally tend to develop a close relationship with the person they shadow. When I've seen it done best, a strong mentoring relationship was apparent.
The problem is that I don't know how well being an "observer" as an experience really comes across.
Just because you were an observer and not interacting with patients doesn't mean that the impact on you couldn't be significant. And ideally, you did interact on a personal level with the physician and subsequently gained new insights you might share.
I think generally shadowing is very passive and not worth using a most meaning experience box on, but adcoms should chime in.
I think it depends on what an applicant has to say about it. A dry recitation of hours, docs, and specialties alone wouldn't make it worthwhile, IMO.

It is less common, but perhaps that is because premeds don't generally tend to develop a close relationship with the person they shadow. When I've seen it done best, a strong mentoring relationship was apparent.
Just because you were an observer and not interacting with patients doesn't mean that the impact on you couldn't be significant. And ideally, you did interact on a personal level with the physician and subsequently gained new insights you might share.
I think it depends on what an applicant has to say about it. A dry recitation of hours, docs, and specialties alone wouldn't make it worthwhile, IMO.

Thank you kindly.

Makes sense. On that note, too, if we're just listing shadowing as a normal activity (not most meaningful), is there an expectation that we write a "narrative" of the things we saw and learned at each experience? Currently I just have the docs/specialties/hours listed in the description box and I'm not sure if saying anything more is worth the committee's time since shadowing is pretty standard.

!0 if we're just listing shadowing as a normal activity (not most meaningful), is there an expectation that we write a "narrative" of the things we saw and learned at each experience?
2) Currently I just have the docs/specialties/hours listed in the description box and I'm not sure if saying anything more is worth the committee's time since shadowing is pretty standard.
1) No.

2) If you have the space and happened to see anything particularly exciting, you might add after the standard information something like, "I witnessed the birth of twins," or somesuch.

Status
Not open for further replies.