*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.

Right now I have 2 experiences listed as "Most Significant" - one leadership position and one clinical paid employment. I am having trouble deciding what my 3rd Most Significant should be (Or do I even need a 3rd?).

I was thinking of putting down my clinical volunteering experience, but I honestly did not enjoy it that much. I will be continuing with it during my gap year, but I am not very passionate about it.

I was also thinking about my senior design project as my 3rd, but I would be saying that I dislike research/have not found research that I enjoy, and would rather work directly with people.

Which of these would be better to talk about? I have other options too but these two stand out to me the most. Thanks!
You don't need to fill all three. Better to have 2 good ones than 3, with one insincere statement.
That being said, you can find things to write about even if the activity wasn't entirely your favorite. I talked a little in my PS about how I came to realize that a career in research academia wasn't for me, and yet I'll be using my research thesis as one of my MMs. That essay will talk about my favorite part of working in the lab - presenting my data and finding good ways to teach and to communicate obscure topics to others. While the experience as a whole did not inspire me to go into that career (the opposite, really), I still learned some meaningful things from it.

So, what have you taken away from your activities that you have not already covered? That's what makes something meaningful.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks!

If I did one while in college, should I rather group it with Publications: Various or Extracurricular: Undergrad. I am a non-traditional applicant and am already at 15 entries.
If you are space-challenged, you could group it with other Publications, or cite it in the same Research space where you discussed the project.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right now I have 2 experiences listed as "Most Significant" - one leadership position and one clinical paid employment. I am having trouble deciding what my 3rd Most Significant should be (Or do I even need a 3rd?).

I was thinking of putting down my clinical volunteering experience, but I honestly did not enjoy it that much. I will be continuing with it during my gap year, but I am not very passionate about it.

I was also thinking about my senior design project as my 3rd, but I would be saying that I dislike research/have not found research that I enjoy, and would rather work directly with people.

Which of these would be better to talk about? I have other options too but these two stand out to me the most.
You don't need to fill all three. Better to have 2 good ones than 3, with one insincere statement.
Agreed.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, Cat. Would you advise against writing one of most meaningful experiences about traveling (non-volunteering, categorized as "other")? Specifically, I saved up money and traveled around the country by myself for about 2.5 weeks btwn freshmen and sophomore year doing various things/meeting wide range of people that have significantly shaped my views on the world and into who I am today. Igniting a passion for medicine was part of the experience although I could hone in on that in my blurb if need be. (I've thought about using this in my PS, but I have a different shorter affair that is relatable for all my EC's).

My only other MM is my somewhat extensive research experience. I don't think my clinical experiences (hospital volunteering) had as significant of an impact that excursion had.
I think a MM entry on your travel experience and its impact on you is fine to include.

I'm a nontrad applicant (graduated in 2011) and was wondering if I should put an activity from my freshman year (2007-2008) on my application. The activity is tutoring disadvantaged kids in a local elementary school in science once a week. I didn't have any leadership roles, but enjoyed doing it. At the time I did it, it wasn't because I was interested medical school, but it just seemed like a fun thing to do. The only other college activities I included were work experience (work study) and research. I still have space on my Work/Activities section, but I'm not sure if I should add this activity. Will it matter I only did it for two semesters, or that it was so long ago? Will it seem desperate that I'm including something from that long ago that may not have been related to my career goal at the time? Thanks!

I'm a nontrad applicant (graduated in 2011) and was wondering if I should put an activity from my freshman year (2007-2008) on my application. The activity is tutoring disadvantaged kids in a local elementary school in science once a week. I didn't have any leadership roles, but enjoyed doing it. At the time I did it, it wasn't because I was interested medical school, but it just seemed like a fun thing to do. The only other college activities I included were work experience (work study) and research. I still have space on my Work/Activities section, but I'm not sure if I should add this activity. Will it matter I only did it for two semesters, or that it was so long ago? Will it seem desperate that I'm including something from that long ago that may not have been related to my career goal at the time? Thanks!
Teaching is a valued experience from a med school adcomm point of view. A year in the life of a college student is a decent duration of involvement. Include it unless you have a lot of more recent Teaching involvement that is of more significance to you, as I think it enhances the appeal of your application.

I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm bad with searching things on SDN and was wondering if anyone could give me a quick answer. I want to talk about a specific patient interaction at a clinic that I volunteer at but don't want to violate HIPAA, I'm fine as long as I don't include name age date or anything like that right?

I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm bad with searching things on SDN and was wondering if anyone could give me a quick answer. I want to talk about a specific patient interaction at a clinic that I volunteer at but don't want to violate HIPAA, I'm fine as long as I don't include name age date or anything like that right?
Yes. Make up a name and put it in parentheses to show it's a pseudonym. Or use random initials.

Now I am actually working on the entry where I am talking about my graduate school experience. How should I list the hours? Should I use the number of credit hours?

Teaching is a valued experience from a med school adcomm point of view. A year in the life of a college student is a decent duration of involvement. Include it unless you have a lot of more recent Teaching involvement that is of more significance to you, as I think it enhances the appeal of your application.

I have two recent teaching experiences, which I write about in my Most Meaningful Experiences essay and in my personal statement. It probably wouldn't hurt to include this older experience, but I feel it's kind of weird because I haven't thought about this experience since it ended, and it only came up to me because I've been thinking about what I've done that would be of interest to medical schools. Would this be a disingenuous reason to include it in my application?

Now I am actually working on the entry where I am talking about my graduate school experience. How should I list the hours? Should I use the number of credit hours?
The fact that you attended grad school is already on your transcript. Using the Total Hours box is pretty meaningless for something like this, in my opinion. I suggest entering a 1.

I have two recent teaching experiences, which I write about in my Most Meaningful Experiences essay and in my personal statement. It probably wouldn't hurt to include this older experience, but I feel it's kind of weird because I haven't thought about this experience since it ended, and it only came up to me because I've been thinking about what I've done that would be of interest to medical schools. Would this be a disingenuous reason to include it in my application?
Including could be looked at as strategic. It implies a continuity of interest over a long period (whether true or not).

I can see that you might gracefully and more logically include mention of the earlier activity in your MM essay and then not give it another space of its own. Or you can omit it all together. Your call.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that you attended grad school is already on your transcript. Using the Total Hours box is pretty meaningless for something like this, in my opinion. I suggest entering a 1.

That definitely makes sense. Then it would seem like I am just trying to fluff up the experiences.

Hello Catalystik and others (again!!!)

Context:
1)I currently have one of my experience slots listed for a few research fellowships I received as an undergrad. Under the experience explanation, I listed the funding amount/the name of my project/etc. One of my projects was over the summer, which required a 30-40 hr/week commitment while I was working at my employer part-time, took/did well in biochem, and studied for the MCAT. I feel like I handled that hectic time very well, and I would like ADCOMs to somehow notice that on my application.
2)I have two papers submitted for publication as a primary and co-author, and several more to come as the cycle progresses.
3)I have an honors/awards experience section with about 8-10 entries, and will be able to squeeze in the fellowships if I get rid awards from my employer.

Question: Do I use my 15th experience to highlight the two fellowships and the time period they encompassed, even though they were for my main project in undergrad lab? Or, do I simply list them under the honors/awards section (or perhaps my undergrad research experience if I can fit it...) and list publications as a SEPARATE entry, with both papers cited as submitted?

I hope this information is clear. Any help would make a huge difference. Thank you kindly!!

Hello Catalystik and others (again!!!)

Context:
1)I currently have one of my experience slots listed for a few research fellowships I received as an undergrad. Under the experience explanation, I listed the funding amount/the name of my project/etc. One of my projects was over the summer, which required a 30-40 hr/week commitment while I was working at my employer part-time, took/did well in biochem, and studied for the MCAT. I feel like I handled that hectic time very well, and I would like ADCOMs to somehow notice that on my application.
2)I have two papers submitted for publication as a primary and co-author, and several more to come as the cycle progresses.
3)I have an honors/awards experience section with about 8-10 entries, and will be able to squeeze in the fellowships if I get rid awards from my employer.

Question: Do I use my 15th experience to highlight the two fellowships and the time period they encompassed, even though they were for my main project in undergrad lab? Or, do I simply list them under the honors/awards section (or perhaps my undergrad research experience if I can fit it...) and list publications as a SEPARATE entry, with both papers cited as submitted?

I hope this information is clear. Any help would make a huge difference. Thank you kindly!!
Do not list submitted manuscripts under Publications. When they are accepted, or accepted with minor revisions, then it's reasonable to tell schools about them, as they might make a difference.

If I shadow my boss weekly as part of my research job that I've held for the past year, is it ok to have one section for shadowing (and list the hours for 1 day a week for 11 months) and then one section for research (and list the remaining hours from the 4 other days of work each week)? Thanks!

Also for publications - I have 2 manuscripts that have been accepted fully, and 1 that has been accepted pending a final revision. On these, I'm a co-author out of 5 other authors. However, I'm first author on an abstract that was accepted to a meeting, and 2nd author on another that was also accepted. In what order would you suggest I present these?

If I shadow my boss weekly as part of my research job that I've held for the past year, is it ok to have one section for shadowing (and list the hours for 1 day a week for 11 months) and then one section for research (and list the remaining hours from the 4 other days of work each week)?
Assuming your boss is a physician and that you are observing mostly patient-doctor interaction during that time (rather than attending meetings, filling out paperwork, traveling), and especially if you have no other entry for physician shadowing, then splitting out the separate hours, IMO, is preferrred.

Also for publications - I have 2 manuscripts that have been accepted fully, and 1 that has been accepted pending a final revision. On these, I'm a co-author out of 5 other authors. However, I'm first author on an abstract that was accepted to a meeting, and 2nd author on another that was also accepted. In what order would you suggest I present these?
(You didn't give me enough to go on here, but making some assumptions)
If the accepted manuscripts will appear in national print journals, then:
1) Fifth author journal article (assuming this is the fully accepted one)
2) Second author accepted with minor revisions
3) First author in an abstract that will appear in conference-only print form

That said, there might be some unprovided details that would change my mind. For example, if an article is accepted pending major revisions, it is arguable whether to include on the list at all, as these sometimes take years of work, and it isn't unknown that the PI withdraws it completely. If any of them will appear in a campus journal, that also significantly down-notches the prestige level. If the accepted abstract only means you'll be presenting a poster, it doesn't belong on this list.

What order do you think they belong in?

If I TA'd a class for credit, should I still put it in my work/activities section? It shows up on my transcript as undergraduate teaching experience only. What have you guys been doing?

If I TA'd a class for credit, should I still put it in my work/activities section? It shows up on my transcript as undergraduate teaching experience only.
Yes, you can list it as an activity, just as you might list a research activity for which you received college credit.

(You didn't give me enough to go on here, but making some assumptions)
If the accepted manuscripts will appear in national print journals, then:
1) Fifth author journal article (assuming this is the fully accepted one)
2) Second author accepted with minor revisions
3) First author in an abstract that will appear in conference-only print form

That said, there might be some unprovided details that would change my mind. For example, if an article is accepted pending major revisions, it is arguable whether to include on the list at all, as these sometimes take years of work, and it isn't unknown that the PI withdraws it completely. If any of them will appear in a campus journal, that also significantly down-notches the prestige level. If the accepted abstract only means you'll be presenting a poster, it doesn't belong on this list.

What order do you think they belong in?

Yeah the ones that were accepted will appear in national peer-reviewed journals. The final revision for one of the manuscripts is relatively minor, and we've already made the necessary edits and sent it back to the editor. In terms of the accepted abstract, we've written up the final manuscript and are submitting it next week. Would it be appropriate to indicate that it was accepted to "X" conference and that it was submitted to "Y" journal on "Z" date?

Thank!

1) Yeah the ones that were accepted will appear in national peer-reviewed journals. The final revision for one of the manuscripts is relatively minor, and we've already made the necessary edits and sent it back to the editor.
2) In terms of the accepted abstract, we've written up the final manuscript and are submitting it next week. Would it be appropriate to indicate that it was accepted to "X" conference and that it was submitted to "Y" journal on "Z" date?
1) Nice.
2) Yes. Specify that it was an abstract that was accepted. Adding the Y and Z info is acceptable.

I am training to be a Make a Wish wish granter in June and will be working with Make a Wish in my hometown until August when I leave for a post bacc program. I plan to get involved with Make a Wish during the school year once I get settled. How do I add that since I haven't started yet?

I am training to be a Make a Wish wish granter in June and will be working with Make a Wish in my hometown until August when I leave for a post bacc program. I plan to get involved with Make a Wish during the school year once I get settled. How do I add that since I haven't started yet?
You could wait to apply until after you begin the activity, or tack mention of it onto the end of another related activity on your list of Experiences. Something along the lines of, "Due to this involvement which raised my awareness of the special difficulties of children facing cancer treatments, I heard about the Make a Wish Foundation and decided to get involved. My training begins 6/22/15 and I plan to continue my involvement through the summer and during the following academic year." Or whatever.

1) if I helped create a mobile app which is a company within itself, would that be better out as leadership or paid employment

2) I was apart of the Big Brother program- is that non medical volunteering or leadership

3) I am apart of a club and was elected for president for next year, would I list in the area about becoming president. Or is it better to assign the experience as leadership.

4) for a research position a) would the experience name be something general like "research assistant" and b) the organization name be the specific lab.
1) If you were the project director and coordinated other people to create the app, then use Leadership.

2) AMCAS wants to know about peer leadership, so I'd suggest characterizing the activity as Volunteer/Community Service - Not Medical/Clinical or Teaching (which includes mentoring).

3) Don't use Leadership, as you have yet to lead. Instead, title the activity XXXX Member and President-Elect so you can use the full date span of involvement. Maybe under the tag Extracurricular, if it's a college-based organization. Or Hobby, if relevant.

4) a. Definitions may vary, but Research Aide=gopher, eg: Cleans cages/glassware, data input. Research Tech=repetitively runs procedures, eg gels, UAs, putting rats through a maze, and may keep equipment in order. Research Assistant=has more important responsibilities and some input into the process. Researcher=makes the decisions; in charge with PI oversight. Describe further in the narrative by saying what your responsibilities are.
b. Organization could be Smith Lab, or Biological Sciences Department, or University of XXX, or a company's name.

How many total hours should I put for academic honors such as a particular scholar certification I received?

I worked the same job during winter and summer breaks which is more than the repeated hours will give me room. How should I handle this?
You can list it under one date span if you name the entry something that suggests intermittency, like Seasonal Bell-Hop Job or School-Break Hospice Support Person. And then give further description in the narrative box about what seasons you participate in the activity, possibly with subtotal hours for each season of involvement.

what is everyone putting in the Experience Description for Publications? So far, I have the citation and a link to the website

To follow up with another question is coaching a basketball youth team that only was 30-40 hours worth it's own separate spot. Also volunteering at a soup kitchen for ~50 hours worth it's own spot.

Would it be better to place these activities of 50 hours or less under one general category such as miscellaneous volunteering?
I see activities with fewer hour than those listed on their own. Grouping them makes sense if you don't need a lot of description room.

Dear Catalystik,

I have been working with one organization for the past 4 years in college.
I participated in one of their national-level activities one summer, which had its own project coordinator.
I also work with this organization on campus as a local chapter, which also has its own coordinator/adviser.

Who should I put down as a contact?

I have been working with one organization for the past 4 years in college.
I participated in one of their national-level activities one summer, which had its own project coordinator.
I also work with this organization on campus as a local chapter, which also has its own coordinator/adviser.

Who should I put down as a contact?
The coordinator/advisor of the local chapter would probably recall your name if contacted and can probably attest to the duration of your involvement. If there's any chance of the summer activity person recalling you, you could add a second contact in the narrative when you describe that involvement, but don't feel like you have to do that.

I've travelled to Asia for 3 weeks on a grant as part of my ongoing public health research. I'm including it as a separate entry. How do I calculate hours? Do I do 24 hours times 3 weeks? Or 12 hours/ day times 3 weeks?

I've travelled to Asia for 3 weeks on a grant as part of my ongoing public health research. I'm including it as a separate entry. How do I calculate hours? Do I do 24 hours times 3 weeks? Or 12 hours/ day times 3 weeks?
If it's a research entry, count the hours you were engaged in the project. If this is a travel/cultural awareness/appreciation of diversity commentary, then you already counted those hours in the Research entry. I'm in favor of listing the hours as 1, since it's meaningless for this type of entry anyway, but if you want to enter the leisure-time awake hours, not including the research time, you would be justified in that choice, too.

If I am president elect of a honor society and also was inducted as a member at the same time. What would I put for hours? Would I put 1 and state in narrative that I will have x hours as president. No one does anything in the honor society other than the exec board in regards to having new ppl join, setting up scholarships for peers, and setting up volunteering opportunities.
Yes, enter a 1 for Total Hours. Maybe it would be better to just list your future duties, frequency of meetings, etc., rather than try to predict the actual time you'll invest, when you have little experience on which to base a projection. An activity that you largely have yet to begin won't be much regarded anyway. Your Secondaries and update letters are a better place to highlight any related achievements.

In the total hours box, should I list my entire shadowing hours for all the doctors I have listed my description box or just for the doctor I provided the initial details for.

Hey guys, I'm a non trad applying for the first time, so not certain if I should do the following:
I've worked about 4,000 hours in a clinic, but from '06-'10. I know it's been a while, (I WAS in undergrad at the time), but feel like it would be a waste not to include this as its a large chunk of time, and I am lacking volunteering besides 10-15 hours during my SMP

I had organized and led reviews throughout my SMP year, and was hoping to put this as a leadership activity, as I feel like it was. Would this be acceptable?

Lastly, I had been tutoring for the MCAT since I had taken it in Jan '14. Not sure what to put under the contact's field. Can I put a student in there? I had not gone through any organization

thanks fellas

Last edited:
In the total hours box, should I list my entire shadowing hours for all the doctors I have listed my description box or just for the doctor I provided the initial details for.
Add up and enter all the shadowing hours that you've listed individually with each physician mentioned in the narrative box.

1) I'm a non trad applying for the first time, so not certain if I should do the following:
I've worked about 4,000 hours in a clinic, but from '06-'10. I know it's been a while, (I WAS in undergrad at the time), but feel like it would be a waste not to include this as its a large chunk of time, and I am lacking volunteering besides 10-15 hours during my SMP

2) I had organized and led reviews throughout my SMP year, and was hoping to put this as a leadership activity, as I feel like it was. Would this be acceptable?

3) Lastly, I had been tutoring for the MCAT since I had taken it in Jan '14. Not sure what to put under the contact's field. Can I put a student in there? I had not gone through any organization
1) Include it.

2) It depends. If you mainly led the review sessions, I'd use Teaching. If you made the group's existence known, recruited those with an interest in participating, led the initiative on what topics to cover, brought outside resources to the attention of the group, delegated others to do some of the work, +/- monitored progress, etc, plus teaching, then it's Leadership.

3) Use a satisfied client (which can be your contact's title).

For AACOMAS, can I just copy over my same details and narrative box from AMCAS or do they prefer another format.

Status
Not open for further replies.