*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If a philanthropy I volunteered with has strong connections with my fraternity, do I have to explain the connection in the experience description? Or would it just make the whole thing more confusing than it has to be?
No, but have an explanation of what drew you to become involved, if asked.

Members don't see this ad.

Consider using the Repeated function for each date range, since the header information is likely to be similar. This will highlight your ongoing (but intermittent) relationship with a single organization, which reflects well. I agree with explaining the focus of each trip in your narrative and adding some of its impact on you.

Thanks so much for the quick response! Would you say that it's intermittent because the actual service was only a week? Leading up to that period, I usually had two meetings a week and 4-5 fundraising activities from October to March. So I'm not sure that I would want to use just the service week for the Repeated functions date ranges. Maybe I should list the dates of the actual trip in the narrative?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for the quick response! Would you say that it's intermittent because the actual service was only a week? Leading up to that period, I usually had two meetings a week and 4-5 fundraising activities from October to March. So I'm not sure that I would want to use just the service week for the Repeated functions date ranges. Maybe I should list the dates of the actual trip in the narrative?
Since it's not a year-round involvement, it's intermittent.

If you want to enter the full 7 month date range for each year, then most of the activity isn't "Service", but rather Membership, Leadership, and Service trips with an Organization, probably best tagged as "Other"due to having many subcomponents.

If, OTOH, you list the date ranges of the service trips in the header information, you can tag the experience as a "Volunteer" one (if this would balance your application better) and then in the narrative, describe and give dates of your full involvement with the organization.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for all of this, @Catalystik - it's *so* helpful!

I have two publication sections - one for peer-reviewed research, and one for narrative non-fiction that's been published in various places. Do you think I should label the latter "artistic endeavors" instead so it seems different? FWIW, it's one of my MM and I discuss how creative writing has been a meaningful outlet for me.

TI have two publication sections - one for peer-reviewed research, and one for narrative non-fiction that's been published in various places. Do you think I should label the latter "artistic endeavors" instead so it seems different? FWIW, it's one of my MM and I discuss how creative writing has been a meaningful outlet for me.
Yes!

1. For the sports club I was involved in I was able to get in contact with Rec Sports Management Office and they said they will be able to verify the years I was involved with the sport. Would it be better to put them down as a contact or a teammate? I was not able to contact my coach.

2. I did private tutoring, but I was not able to get in contact with the student or his mother. Is it ok to put myself as the contact? My mother also knew I was doing it but she only speaks Spanish so I don't think she would be a good contact to put down. Or who else do you suggest?
1) They would be preferred over a less-objective person, like a friend or teammate.

2) Then use yourself as the Contact.

Sorry if something similar has already been answered somewhere, but I have a question on how to organize my research listings. I'll have one most meaningful section just for my general undergraduate research. I also presented one of my labs ongoing projects at a program called Excellence in Research, which included a paper that will be published in my school's undergraduate research journal, a powerpoint presentation to medical school faculty, a poster presentation, and a second finalist poster presentation to medical school and bio sci faculty. Should this be grouped under one category "Excellence in Research" and be listed under "presentations/posters." I assume its not under publications since its just an undergraduate journal. Also, how should I cite my paper if the manuscript was just submitted recently?

I have been getting some conflicting info from my advisor and from here on how to fill out the activities section. Maybe someone could attempt to remedy this?

My advisor:
1) Describe your shadowing experience in this section, just do it differently than how you did in your PS. Don't just write you did shadowing.

2) Write about your academic awards/honors and why they are meaningful to you. She seemed to imply that I should write how I am thankful for the aid in paying for the opportunity to take courses at my university etc. She also said to separate one of my awards, which is for research, as it is more important. But it was only a $3k thing... No Truman here.

ME: :confused:
1) I wrote the names of the doctors I shadowed, how many hours and their phone contact.

2) I figured I would just detail the awards and what they actually are... My research award might as well be talked about in my research activity (it is a MM).

Is there a consensus on these two areas? How do I describe my awards and shadowing?

Last edited:
Sorry if something similar has already been answered somewhere, but I have a question on how to organize my research listings. I'll have one most meaningful section just for my general undergraduate research. I also presented one of my labs ongoing projects at a program called Excellence in Research, which included a paper that will be published in my school's undergraduate research journal, a powerpoint presentation to medical school faculty, a poster presentation, and a second finalist poster presentation to medical school and bio sci faculty.
1) Should this be grouped under one category "Excellence in Research" and be listed under "presentations/posters." I assume its not under publications since its just an undergraduate journal.
2) Also, how should I cite my paper if the manuscript was just submitted recently?
1) I think tagging it and grouping it as you describe sounds fine. You might pick a title that is more descriptive of the entry, like Contributions Related to"Excellence in Research" Program, or somesuch.

2) A submitted manuscript is best left off the list, if it has not yet been accepted. If you feel compelled to mention it regardless, the best place for it would be at the end the the affiliated Research entry, with your authorship place, title of the article, and the Journal to which it was sent.

I have been getting some conflicting info from my advisor and from here on how to fill out the activities section. Maybe someone could attempt to remedy this?

My advisor:
1) Describe your shadowing experience in this section, just do it differently than how you did in your PS. Don't just write you did shadowing.

2) Write about your academic awards/honors and why they are meaningful to you. She seemed to imply that I should write how I am thankful for the aid in paying for the opportunity to take courses at my university etc. She also said to separate one of my awards, which is for research, as it is more important. But it was only a $3k thing... No Truman here.

ME: :confused:
1) I wrote the names of the doctors I shadowed, how many hours and their phone contact.

2) I figured I would just detail the awards and what they actually are... My research award might as well be talked about in my research activity (it is a MM).

Is there a consensus on these two areas? How do I describe my awards and shadowing?
1) For a detailed example of a Shadowing entry, see post #359. All adcomms know what shadowing is, so it's not necessary to describe your role. I do agree that if any of this experience is mentioned in the PS, it should not be similar. For the PS: Use different vocabulary, an anecdote if you like, and the impact on your decision to go into medicine (if any).

2) Many awards and recognitions are self-explanatory. Just describe the ones that are unique to your campus or not well known. You need not mention their impact on you. The best place for the research grant to be mentioned is with the Research entry, IMO.

My questions:

1) Taking care of ALS patient in hospice when 24/7 nurse failed to show up (and on subsequent overnights); it was not formal, she was a long time family friend; she has since passed away; List and include everything I did for her? (measure meds, turn when she muttered - speech was not capable at that point; fluff pillows, bring sippy cup, change diapers, change oxygen tanks, etc etc etc)

2) Published in a NON medical industry magazine many, many years ago; magazine is gone; publisher sold to bigger company. List? (I'm thinking no ...)

Last edited:
My questions:

1) Taking care of ALS patient in hospice when 24/7 nurse failed to show up (and on subsequent overnights); it was not formal, she was a long time family friend; she has since passed away; List and include everything I did for her? (measure meds, turn when she muttered - speech was not capable at that point; fluff pillows, bring sippy cup, change diapers, change oxygen tanks, etc etc etc)

2) Published in a NON medical industry magazine many, many years ago; magazine is gone; publisher sold to bigger company. List?
1) Assuming you were not employed, it's fine to list the experience, but take care what you call it, as assisting friends and family in this way would not be considered "Volunteer - Medical/Clinical." Tagging it as "Other"would be a better choice, making the clinical aspect clear in the description, as you did here.

2) Assuming it happened during college or thereafter, consider listing it under Artistic Endeavor or Teaching, depending on the topic.

I was a paid editorial assistant on the magazine; my article was on the benefits of H2O2 v. Cl bleaching of paper pulp.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Assuming you were not employed, it's fine to list the experience, but take care what you call it, as assisting friends and family in this way would not be considered "Volunteer - Medical/Clinical." Tagging it as "Other"would be a better choice, making the clinical aspect clear in the description, as you did here.

Thank you! I would not list it in Volunteer as I have other things to list (medical and not). Was just not sure I should list at all and yet, it was care providing in many different aspects (also showed me that ALS is the demon disease ... dear all things Holy, strip people of their ability to physically function but leave their mind intact so they know exactly what is happening but they can't speak or do anything about it? Which sounds equally as dreadful. Terrible, horrible disease).

I've noticed you don't like it when applicants use the "repeated" feature, but if I have a volunteer event that I organize each year could I use the repeated feature then? I spend about 20-30 hours each year on the last week of April organizing a charity event. After the event is over I'm pretty much done with it until the following year. Thanks for your help!

Is there an example available regarding how to format an entry for a poster? I'd like to cite it, but also provide a brief discussion of what I gained from presenting.

I was a paid editorial assistant on the magazine; my article was on the benefits of H2O2 v. Cl bleaching of paper pulp.
The article sounds educational, but if you're going to list this job under Employment, or if your writing will be another entry, you could mention it in that same space if you need to save room.

Thank you! I would not list it in Volunteer as I have other things to list (medical and not). Was just not sure I should list at all and yet, it was care providing in many different aspects (also showed me that ALS is the demon disease ... dear all things Holy, strip people of their ability to physically function but leave their mind intact so they know exactly what is happening but they can't speak or do anything about it? Which sounds equally as dreadful. Terrible, horrible disease).
I probably wouldn't use these precise words in your description, but I would include the impact the experience had on you.

if I have a volunteer event that I organize each year could I use the repeated feature then? I spend about 20-30 hours each year on the last week of April organizing a charity event. After the event is over I'm pretty much done with it until the following year.
As the header information and the narrative explanation would largely apply to each of the Repeated date spans in your situation, it would be appropriate to use.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there an example available regarding how to format an entry for a poster? I'd like to cite it, but also provide a brief discussion of what I gained from presenting.
If you google "How do I cite a Poster" you will see there are several formats. One example:

Hsu, K. T., & Mendez, E. J. (2013, April). Suicidal ideation in
incarcerated young adults
. Poster session presented at the Annual Convention of the Southern Psychological Association, Savannah, GA.

Thank you so much, Cat for your willingness to provide feedback!

Have another question:

I volunteer for a horse facility specifically and only for physical, mental, emotional rehabilitation. In working with the population - most of whom are children or older Down's Syndrome adults - I do interact and assist with the people whether holding them steady on the horse, or helping them with the "games", or ... I also talk with parents, or siblings about how they are, what they like to do. In one particular case, the "Batman" ... severely autistic little shaver, with big blue eyes, who looked at me and said, "Thank you." (Ran for the tissues ...)

The facility is PATH certified and often holds the Special Olympics equestrian events.

And yes, sometimes on Sundays I just groom horses and scoop manure. :D

Volunteer - Non Medical?

Yes, my words are a bit harsh here re: ALS ... I will definitely polish.

I reorganized some entries and found out I have one extra space available. Do you think it would be wise to use this space as a second publications entry (as my first one is very abbreviated) or mention some research I did my freshman year (with a french teacher on historical feminist texts)? I don't want to overdo the publications, but the other research venture seems sort of interesting (trying to look at it from an objective viewpoint lol)

If you google "How do I cite a Poster" you will see there are several formats. One example:

Hsu, K. T., & Mendez, E. J. (2013, April). Suicidal ideation in
incarcerated young adults
. Poster session presented at the Annual Convention of the Southern Psychological Association, Savannah, GA.

Thanks so much!

Can I go ahead and discuss the poster presentation underneath the citation?

A few questions for you @Catalystik ,

1) I had an essay published in an English Composition textbook at my university, the topic was ethics-related, specifically, "A Physician's Role in End-of-Life Care." Would the "Artistic Endeavors" category be most appropriate for this subject matter? As far as the experience title, would something like "Published Medical Ethics Essay" be the way to go?

2) I'm an EMT, and have run with my campus EMS squad for the past 2 years. My senior year I've been elected Assistant Chief, and have already had some involvement in this role (hiring new members, etc.), but the majority of which will not start until August. I'm going back-and-forth as to whether or not to put this in as one activity or separate it into 2. My issue is that I want to highlight the leadership aspect instead of just "EMT for 2 years." What do you recommend?

3) The physician I shadowed over the summer is a clinical instructor at a top 25 medical school, and his practice is an internal medicine rotation site for M3/M4's, should I include this in my experience description, or would this be in bad taste?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been answered before, but I have been searching and unable to find the answer.

If I have been doing a sport from childhood through college:

a) How should it be listed? (Intercollegiate Athletics --> Senior Level Competitor in <insert sport>)
b) Should total hours be included? (Different date ranges: elementary - high school <competitor, ~5,000 hours>, college first year <officer, but only performed in shows, ~300 hours>, college second-third year <officer + intercollegiate competitor, ~1000 hours>, college fourth year <intercollegiate competitor, ~500 hours>

Thanks in advance!

For a publication, what would you put under "experience name"? Published paper?

I volunteer for a horse facility specifically and only for physical, mental, emotional rehabilitation. In working with the population - most of whom are children or older Down's Syndrome adults - I do interact and assist with the people whether holding them steady on the horse, or helping them with the "games", or ... I also talk with parents, or siblings about how they are, what they like to do. In one particular case, the "Batman" ... severely autistic little shaver, with big blue eyes, who looked at me and said, "Thank you." (Ran for the tissues ...)

The facility is PATH certified and often holds the Special Olympics equestrian events.

And yes, sometimes on Sundays I just groom horses and scoop manure. :D

Volunteer - Non Medical?
Yes.

Rotary Club - include or not? Too snooty? I did put in water wells on behalf of Rotary Int'l in Peru ...

I reorganized some entries and found out I have one extra space available. Do you think it would be wise to use this space as a second publications entry (as my first one is very abbreviated) or mention some research I did my freshman year (with a french teacher on historical feminist texts)? I don't want to overdo the publications, but the other research venture seems sort of interesting (trying to look at it from an objective viewpoint lol)
If you are aiming to appeal most to research-intense institutions, then de-compacting your Publications citations would make it easier to appreciate them.

1) I had an essay published in an English Composition textbook at my university, the topic was ethics-related, specifically, "A Physician's Role in End-of-Life Care." a. Would the "Artistic Endeavors" category be most appropriate for this subject matter? b. As far as the experience title, would something like "Published Medical Ethics Essay" be the way to go?

2) I'm an EMT, and have run with my campus EMS squad for the past 2 years. My senior year I've been elected Assistant Chief, and have already had some involvement in this role (hiring new members, etc.), but the majority of which will not start until August. I'm going back-and-forth as to whether or not to put this in as one activity or separate it into 2. My issue is that I want to highlight the leadership aspect instead of just "EMT for 2 years." What do you recommend?

3) The physician I shadowed over the summer is a clinical instructor at a top 25 medical school, and his practice is an internal medicine rotation site for M3/M4's, should I include this in my experience description, or would this be in bad taste?
1)a. Yes
b. How about Publication of Medical Ethics Essay in Campus Textbook?

2) Though you could do it anyway, I would discourage against a separate entry for a leadership role that has largely not started. What about an activity title like Emergency Medical Technician and Squad Assistant Chief-Elect, that will evoke both roles?

3) Unless the presence of med students made a difference in what you experienced, I see no point in bringing them up. Definitely don't mention the"top-25".

If I have been doing a sport from childhood through college:

a) How should it be listed? (Intercollegiate Athletics --> Senior Level Competitor in <insert sport>)
b) Should total hours be included? (Different date ranges: elementary - high school <competitor, ~5,000 hours>, college first year <officer, but only performed in shows, ~300 hours>, college second-third year <officer + intercollegiate competitor, ~1000 hours>, college fourth year <intercollegiate competitor, ~500 hours>
a) That looks fine.
b) You could i. list Start Date sometime in your childhood and specify multiple date ranges in the narrative (as you've done) with hours for each, or ii. you could enter just the college years (which we're more interested in) and describe the back story of earlier involvement in the narrative (don't get caught up in precise amounts of time as they're so high as to be near meaningless, anyway).

For a publication, what would you put under "experience name"? Published paper?
It depends on what was published and where. If it is based on your original research and accepted by a known national journal, you might use Scholarly Journal Article on [XXX Topic] or Third-Author Accepted Manuscript [XXX Topic], or Peer-Reviewed Paper Available On-Line Ahead of Print, or somesuch. Try not to use the same word in a title that is already selected as the category for the space.

Last edited:
2) Assuming none of the abstracts was published in a known print journal, you could put all of them in one space under Posters/Presentations, giving credit to the presenter.

How should I deal with presentation dates since this type of entry does not have the "Repeated" option? 2 of these abstracts were presented last year and 2 of them will be presented next week. Should I just choose the month/year of the first two and mention the dates of the remaining two in the description?

Thank you!

How should I deal with presentation dates since this type of entry does not have the "Repeated" option? 2 of these abstracts were presented last year and 2 of them will be presented next week. Should I just choose the month/year of the first two and mention the dates of the remaining two in the description?
That's fine. Or you can list just one of the dates in the header and the other three in the description, with the two future ones' dates preceded by the word "Planned", unless you'll be submitting after the presentation.

During my 4 years as an undergrad I worked in 2 research labs. The first lab was a very informative and educational experience, but ultimately was not the kind of research I was passionate about. The second lab was fantastic- one of my most meaningful experiences for sure. Should I include the previous research as well, as I was there for an entire year and did learn a lot (including what I actually wanted to do) or no because I wasn't passionate about it?

That's fine. Or you can list just one of the dates in the header and the other three in the description, with the two future ones' dates preceded by the word "Planned", unless you'll be submitting after the presentation.

OK, thank you. Do you think "Co-Author of Abstracts Accepted (or Presented if I submit after next week's presentation?) at International Conferences" is a good Experience Name?

During my 4 years as an undergrad I worked in 2 research labs. The first lab was a very informative and educational experience, but ultimately was not the kind of research I was passionate about. The second lab was fantastic- one of my most meaningful experiences for sure. Should I include the previous research as well, as I was there for an entire year and did learn a lot (including what I actually wanted to do) or no because I wasn't passionate about it?
It depends on whether you feel that experience will add to your candidacy for the type of med school you are targeting (and not whether you felt passionate about the activity). If you plan to apply mainly to selective, research-oriented programs,eg, then showing that your research interests started earlier may work in your favor. Even if you aren't, I doubt the inclusion of the early experience will hurt you, assuming you have a reliable Contact.

If I want to list art/painting as a hobby I'm passionate about and can talk about but I haven't put together anything solid to show for it such as a portfolio, should I list it anyway?

For one of my work experiences in college, I worked per semester for 3 consecutive semesters. Would I mark this as repeated, one thing, or it won't matter?

Hi! Not sure if this has been brought up before but if you are rewarded a summer research fellowship would this fall under research or could you list it as the honor/reward category? Thank you!

Yes. Hopefully your place in the author lineup is apparent from the citation.

I may have to use the method you described earlier (eg. 2nd author: "Title", etc.) for space purposes. Thank you so much for all your help.

I have an additional question:
The organization that hosts these conferences has a very long name and thus I need to use its acronym in the description space. However, the name is so long that I cannot fit both the name and its acronym in parenthesis in neither the Organization Name space nor the Experience Name space. I've thought of some possible solutions:

1.) The organization has the word, "international" in it. So, maybe I could abbreviate international as Int'l (or some other way) in the Organization Name space, which would allow me to write the name plus its acronym in parenthesis.

2.) Use the organization's acronym in the Experience Name space, write the organization's full name in the Organization Name space, and hope adcoms make the connection between the two

Would you suggest any of these? Thank you

if you are rewarded a summer research fellowship would this fall under research or could you list it as the honor/reward category?
You could do either, but personally, I prefer to see it with the affiliated Research entry so it is kept in context. This makes it easier to appreciated what you accomplished with the support you were given.

I know longevity is important, but would short term activities by their nature be considered? I volunteered at my middle school for a few weeks for about 30 hours after I started college, helping my former science teacher with setting the lab up and other things. Last spring my uni hosted a science/engineering tournament for hs kids on a saturday, and I helped set up the labs and get equipment for the professors (microscopes, burners, etc). One day thing, about 10 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.