*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At what point is an activity not "worthy" of being included in an omnibus experience? My current 4 experiences under this category are 70, 140, 60, 50 hours, respectively. So taken together these ECs have been meaningful to me and I've spent quite some time on them, but I don't want to come across as flimsy and unable to maintain commitment when I was just trying out different things in a unique field.

Edit: [inadvertent] TOP! WOOT

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
At what point is an activity not "worthy" of being included in an omnibus experience? My current 4 experiences under this category are 70, 140, 60, 50 hours, respectively. So taken together these ECs have been meaningful to me and I've spent quite some time on them, but I don't want to come across as flimsy and unable to maintain commitment when I was just trying out different things in a unique field.
As long as you have enough other activities that do reflect commitment and have reasonable longevity, you'll be fine.

What is worthy and what is not worthy is in the eye of the beholders, both yours and each individual adcomm. Items you include should add to the understanding one gains about you and the traits you have that are important in a future physician. YMMV.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as you have enough other activities that do reflect commitment and have reasonable longevity, you'll be fine.

What is worthy and what is not worthy is in the eye of the beholders, both yours and each individual adcomm. Items you include should add to the understanding one gains about you and the traits you have that are important in a future physician. YMMV.
Got it. I'll keep them, then. Just didn't want to seem flaky :(

Members don't see this ad :)
There have been many posts in previous years re: publications but is there recommended strategy for numerous publications (>10)? I would like to include as many as I can but don't want to list each one individually at the expense of my other activities. If listing together how to group them? Chronologically? Author position?

Should the goal to be to group them into the smallest number of separate activities (can fit into 2 entries if just listing citation) or to include some additional info about what I did for each one (maybe use 4 entries)?

If grouped together who should I list for contact info? Organization?

Should a PMID/doi be included? Some of the titles are lengthy, is it okay to abbreviate the longer ones as follows "Enough of the title to get the gist..."?

Thanks!

There have been many posts in previous years re: publications but is there recommended strategy for numerous publications (>10)? I would like to include as many as I can but don't want to list each one individually at the expense of my other activities. If listing together how to group them? Chronologically? Author position?

Should the goal to be to group them into the smallest number of separate activities (can fit into 2 entries if just listing citation) or to include some additional info about what I did for each one (maybe use 4 entries)?

If grouped together who should I list for contact info? Organization?

Should a PMID/doi be included? Some of the titles are lengthy, is it okay to abbreviate the longer ones as follows "Enough of the title to get the gist..."?

Thanks!

I was wondering about this as well. I don't have quite as many publications as you, though! What about for a smaller number of publications/ presentations/ posters (~6)? Should these all be listed under one entry? What about the research hours that go with them (i.e. should I create a separate experience for my lab job)? Thanks so much!

1) is there recommended strategy for numerous publications (>10)? I would like to include as many as I can but don't want to list each one individually at the expense of my other activities. If listing together how to group them? Chronologically? Author position?

2) Should the goal to be to group them into the smallest number of separate activities (can fit into 2 entries if just listing citation) or to include some additional info about what I did for each one (maybe use 4 entries)?

3) If grouped together who should I list for contact info? Organization?

1) Here is an example of a super condensed format using PMID# (though I generally disagree with including Submitted manuscripts, there might be a place for it when one wants to demonstrate super-productive involvement and has a proven pattern of acceptance).
Abridged bibliography in the following format:
Shortened Title; Shortened Journal/Book; Pubmed ID/Location/Status.

1st Author:
TSUP; BBA; PMID 22192777
Rhodopsin Superfamily; Nature; Submitted
Efflux Proteins: Microbial Efflux Pumps; Horizon Scientific Press; Accepted (date)
Lead and Mercury Transporters (2 articles); Encycl. of Metalloproteins; ISBN 978-1-4614-1532-9 Jan. '13
MFS; FEBS J; PMID 22458847

2nd Author:
PTS; ELS; Search PTS on www.els.net
Transp. Protein Evol.; Protein Families; Accepted (date).
4-JC; BBA; Submitted
ABC; JMB; Submitted

Co-author:
Phylogenetic char.; JMMB; PMID 22286036
APC; JMMB; PMID 22627175
Transposons; Mutagenesis; Accepted (date)
Mer; WASP; Accepted (date).
2) You can lump or spread depending on how many spaces you have to do so. There's no "one right way".
3) Organization/Contact isn't so important to include when an article is available on-line, since the agency publishing the paper vouches for its existence and IS an organization. You might use as a header Contact your most recent PI who would surely be aware of your prolific publishing history.

I know you indicated that Adcom members rarely contact those on our activities but I'm concerned about them contacting my current employer who do not know I am applying to medical schools (don't want to burn any bridges, esp if I have to wait until 2016 to start if I make it into med school). Any advice?

1) Here is an example of a super condensed format using PMID# (though I generally disagree with including Submitted manuscripts, there might be a place for it when one wants to demonstrate super-productive involvement and has a proven pattern of acceptance).

2) You can lump or spread depending on how many spaces you have to do so. There's no "one right way".
3) Organization/Contact isn't so important to include when an article is available on-line, since the agency publishing the paper vouches for its existence and IS an organization. You might use as a header Contact your most recent PI who would surely be aware of your prolific publishing history.

Thanks for the reply, this is very helpful. Followup question about research--almost every manuscript I have started as an abstract that was presented at an international or national conference. I've been told the rule of thumb is to use the 'highest' achievement (i.e. publications>abstracts) and list each project only once, so don't list a publication and the abstract it came from. Do you agree? If so, am I out of luck in terms of indicating that I have attended/presented my work at conferences like this?

I know you indicated that Adcom members rarely contact those on our activities but I'm concerned about them contacting my current employer who do not know I am applying to medical schools (don't want to burn any bridges, esp if I have to wait until 2016 to start if I make it into med school). Any advice?
A few questions: How critical is your current employment in making your application competitive? Do you have any co-worker whom you trust to confirm your dates of employment, aside from "the boss"?

I know it says for AMCAS that you cannot put ongoing EC's onto the application. How about for ACCOMAS?

Followup question about research--almost every manuscript I have started as an abstract that was presented at an international or national conference. I've been told the rule of thumb is to use the 'highest' achievement (i.e. publications>abstracts) and list each project only once, so don't list a publication and the abstract it came from. Do you agree? If so, am I out of luck in terms of indicating that I have attended/presented my work at conferences like this?
I agree the highest form of sharing a set of data with the world should be the primary listing (Publications, Abstracts, Posters/Presentations), but other venues can still be mentioned in the same space or in the affiliated Research space in precise or vague detail depending on space restraints (And I'd think this particularly important where a manuscript was submitted, but not yet accepted, if you use the format provided above). If you don't keep them hooked together like that, and use a Conferences Attended space instead, it would be far to difficult for a reader to keep them all straight for a highly-productive researcher.

Keep in mind that there's no one right way to do this. You might come up with a more efficient format than the one provided (in which case, I'd love your permission to use it as another example).

I know it says for AMCAS that you cannot put ongoing EC's onto the application. How about for ACCOMAS?
You can include ongoing activities in AMCAS, but you cannot include activities not yet started.

There should be an AACOMAS FAQ in the PreMedOsteo forum from last year that you can Search for this answer. Or you can post there and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
A few questions: How critical is your current employment in making your application competitive? Do you have any co-worker whom you trust to confirm your dates of employment, aside from "the boss"?

very critical. i have very supportive co-workers who could definitely vouch for me, i just didn't know if it had to be one of my superiors? also, if its just confirmation of my employment, could i just list the HR department?

Last edited:
very critical. i work as a nurse which is why telling them im applying to medical schools can be very touchy. i have very supportive co-workers who could definitely vouch for me, i just didn't know if it had to be one of my superiors? also, if its just confirmation of my employment, could i just list the HR department?
The most objective contact is the best to use when an activity is highly important to your candidacy. It's ideal to use a person in the HR department, as the purpose of a contact is not to ask for a performance assessment. It should be easy to look up or call to get the name, title, and phone number of a person working there to use for the form.

Thank you! That is very helpful. I just hope the HR department isn't obligated to tell management of other departments if outsiders inquired about one of their employees. Honestly, I'm not sure how it works but I'm hoping it doesn't cause trouble

Thank you! That is very helpful. I just hope the HR department isn't obligated to tell management of other departments if outsiders inquired about one of their employees. Honestly, I'm not sure how it works but I'm hoping it doesn't cause trouble
You're worrying a bit too much. Reference calls and employment verifications are done regularly. No HR person would notify someone else unless the caller specified a problem, which a med school simply looking to check for veracity would not do.

Trying to figure out some things regarding showing.

I did an internship over a summer for about 200-250 hours a good 15-20 of those hours were physician shadowing.

Would it be wrong to spilt out the hours of shadowing and put it in my shadowing entry?

I feel like 180 hours internship + 35 hours of shadowing looks better than 200 internship and 15 hours of shadowing.

Also I think this was asked before but if I received a small stipend from the internship but not enough to pay for anything to do I just list it as volunteer rather than paid work.

If I'm writing about a gov't experience that I can't elaborate on further due to an NDA, is it helpful to write that at the end of the description after writing what I can say about the activity? I'm thinking something like "details embargoed" or "NDA-restricted."

1) Trying to figure out some things regarding sh[ad]owing. I did an internship over a summer for about 200-250 hours a good 15-20 of those hours were physician shadowing. Would it be wrong to spilt out the hours of shadowing and put it in my shadowing entry?

I feel like 180 hours internship + 35 hours of shadowing looks better than 200 internship and 15 hours of shadowing.

2) Also I think this was asked before but if I received a small stipend from the internship but not enough to pay for anything to do I just list it as volunteer rather than paid work.
1) I think you'd be doing the best thing by splitting out those hours and including them with other more-formal shadowing. Just be sure not to double count the hours.

2) An Internship is generally a multifaceted experience that is better listed under "Other." I agree that a receiving a stipend doesn't constitute "Employment." Some Internships might qualify for the "Community Service" category if that is all you're doing during the listed hours.

If I'm writing about a gov't experience that I can't elaborate on further due to an NDA, is it helpful to write that at the end of the description after writing what I can say about the activity? I'm thinking something like "details embargoed" or "NDA-restricted."
This question has been raised in previous years on Tips threads and in the general PreMedAllo forum. Adcomm opinions were that, if you can't describe it, and can't list a Contact, consider not listing it. Anyone can make up activities like that. If the activity would add substantially to your application, it's better to get a LOR from a supervisor who can attest to your involvement to whatever extent is permitted.

This question has been raised in previous years on Tips threads and in the general PreMedAllo forum. Adcomm opinions were that, if you can't describe it, and can't list a Contact, consider not listing it. Anyone can make up activities like that. If the activity would add substantially to your application, it's better to get a LOR from a supervisor who can attest to your involvement to whatever extent is permitted.
I can list a contact and describe the kind of research I did! Just not the results or what the research was used for. I guess it's not even necessary to mention that then? It's not super substantial to my app but it occurred early on in college so it adds to the story that I am committed to that type of work.

I can list a contact and describe the kind of research I did! Just not the results or what the research was used for. I guess it's not even necessary to mention that then? It's not super substantial to my app but it occurred early on in college so it adds to the story that I am committed to that type of work.
Many premeds involved in research never see the end point where data is analyzed and conclusions drawn. I don't think you need to bring that up, and can stick to description, role, and impact.

Just don't say, "I was responsible for super-cool, highly secret stuff in a restricted, unnameable government lab, but I can't tell you what it was."

I'm having trouble deciding how to classify one of my activities.

I'm an officer in our student Honor System, so I have conducted investigations about reported honor offenses, and then represented either accused students or the community at trial. I had a recent leadership role, but I wouldn't feel comfortable putting all the time under "Leadership". I am leaning "Extra Curricular" but I was wondering if it could also go under "Volunteer, Nonclinical". By graduation I'll have 350-400 hours and I am strongly considering selecting it as one of the Most Meaningful. I guess it just seems like a shame to put that immense amount of time under an extra curric, but I'd be okay with it if it really didn't fit anything else. It was definitely a great experience.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I'm having trouble deciding how to classify one of my activities.

I'm an officer in our student Honor System, so I have conducted investigations about reported honor offenses, and then represented either accused students or the community at trial. I had a recent leadership role, but I wouldn't feel comfortable putting all the time under "Leadership". I am leaning "Extra Curricular" but I was wondering if it could also go under "Volunteer, Nonclinical". By graduation I'll have 350-400 hours and I am strongly considering selecting it as one of the Most Meaningful. I guess it just seems like a shame to put that immense amount of time under an extra curric, but I'd be okay with it if it really didn't fit anything else. It was definitely a great experience.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Are you an elected officer or appointed? How long did the leadership role last and what proportion of the total duration of involvement is that? When you say you represented " the community" did you mean the campus community only or the greater off-campus community? Did you get a stipend for any portion of the activity?

Are you an elected officer or appointed? How long did the leadership role last and what proportion of the total duration of involvement is that? When you say you represented " the community" did you mean the campus community only or the greater off-campus community? Did you get a stipend for any portion of the activity?

Thank you for your response.
  • I was appointed from within both into the organization and in the leadership role—it's entirely student-run, including the jury panels.
  • The role will be 1 year out of 4 total, it involves training new officers and taking on a coordinator role in investigations and trials.
  • Campus community only, it's basically the "prosecuting" counsel, although we use a different terminology.
  • No stipend or any kind of benefits other than the free coffee and pencils!

So is it agreed that employment with a stipend should be listed under "Other" as a category? Like NGO internships?

I was appointed from within both into the organization and in the leadership role—it's entirely student-run, including the jury panels.
  • The role will be 1 year out of 4 total, it involves training new officers and taking on a coordinator role in investigations and trials.
  • Campus community only, it's basically the "prosecuting" counsel, although we use a different terminology.
  • No stipend or any kind of benefits other than the free coffee and pencils!
I'm inclined to suggest you go ahead and list the entire activity under Leadership, making the nomination, volunteer aspect, duties, and dates of the coordinator role clear in the description. Many applicants will list their time in the student senate under Leadership, though really they just show up for meetings and vote, and your activity is much stronger than that. Extracurricular would be my second choice, and Volunteer/Community Service last. You get to pick. Just make sure your description supports the choice.

Free coffee? Awesome perk! (You see what I did there?)

So is it agreed that employment with a stipend should be listed under "Other" as a category? Like NGO internships?
No. An example where you'd list a stipended activity as Employment is Teach for America (though of course everyone knows it's really a Community Service). Summer research opportunities often come with a stipend, but are listed under Research.

Edit: It is Americorps I should have used as an example, not Teach for America.

Last edited:
I was heavily involved in a student mental health advocacy organization for 2.5 years during undergrad, and 2 of those years were spent as elected President. Aside from generic presidential responsibilities such as leading exec board meetings, representing the organization to other departments/offices and the media, organizing/planning small- and large-scale events and delegating tasks to both exec board and general body members, I also spent a lot of time giving mental health education presentations to classes/organizations, answering questions about available mental health resources at kiosks, participating in campus-wide mental health task forces, creating our chapter's first website and compiling a comprehensive list of local mental health resources, and in general helping out at mental health-related events on campus.

So, should I include all of this under one leadership experience, or do I split it up into Leadership and Non-Clinical Community Service? My only problem with the latter is that given the diverse range of activities I did under this one organization, I have no idea how to split up the hours between the two. Any guidance would be appreciated! :)

I was heavily involved in a student mental health advocacy organization for 2.5 years during undergrad, and 2 of those years were spent as elected President. Aside from generic presidential responsibilities such as leading exec board meetings, representing the organization to other departments/offices and the media, organizing/planning small- and large-scale events and delegating tasks to both exec board and general body members, I also spent a lot of time giving mental health education presentations to classes/organizations, answering questions about available mental health resources at kiosks, participating in campus-wide mental health task forces, creating our chapter's first website and compiling a comprehensive list of local mental health resources, and in general helping out at mental health-related events on campus.

So, should I include all of this under one leadership experience, or do I split it up into Leadership and Non-Clinical Community Service? My only problem with the latter is that given the diverse range of activities I did under this one organization, I have no idea how to split up the hours between the two. Any guidance would be appreciated! :)
Unless you are seriously lacking in community service, you might consider using the Teaching tag for the split-out activities and preceding general membership role. But your suggestion is fine as well. Splitting the hours of involvement is generally a major challenge. You will have to give your fairest estimate of time spent in each role. Just don't double count the hours.

No. An example where you'd list a stipended activity as Employment is Teach for America (though of course everyone knows it's really a Community Service). Summer research opportunities often come with a stipend, but are listed under Research.
So would public service stuff basically be Community Service then? I considered it a job but was just not paid enough to consider it Paid Employment, even though I was stringently hired as if it were a job. I am not lacking in Community Service, either.

So would public service stuff basically be Community Service then? I considered it a job but was just not paid enough to consider it Paid Employment, even though I was stringently hired as if it were a job. I am not lacking in Community Service, either.
No one would argue that police and fireman provide community service, despite good salaries and benefits. Or military. Yet they are always listed under Employment. And adcomms know they are a community service.

Janitors and electric company linesmen have jobs that are providing important community service, too, but they are not seen as other than Employment.

Working for your parent's restaurant and getting no pay at all, is still considered Employment, but is not a volunteer position, since other benefits accrue.

As a rule of thumb, it's better not to oversell yourself. If your description fits/belongs in another category, adcomms will take note of that.

No one would argue that police and fireman provide community service, despite good salaries and benefits. Or military. Yet they are always listed under Employment. And adcomms know they are a community service.

Janitors and electric company linesmen have jobs that are providing important community service, too, but they are not seen as other than Employment.

Working for your parent's restaurant and getting no pay at all, is still considered Employment, but is not a volunteer position, since other benefits accrue.

As a rule of thumb, it's better not to oversell yourself. If your description fits/belongs in another category, adcomms will take note of that.
Too fair to argue against! I think I'm just a little bitter about being paid cr@p working for a place I love and really contributed to...so just seeing the tag Paid Employment brought back those negative feelings haha. Thanks for setting me straight. :bow:

Quick question...would stating that my current employment is one of my most meaningful experiences be look down upon because is "paid employment" or would adcoms prefer meaningful experiences to be volunteer?

I'm inclined to suggest you go ahead and list the entire activity under Leadership, making the nomination, volunteer aspect, duties, and dates of the coordinator role clear in the description. Many applicants will list their time in the student senate under Leadership, though really they just show up for meetings and vote, and your activity is much stronger than that. Extracurricular would be my second choice, and Volunteer/Community Service last. You get to pick. Just make sure your description supports the choice.

Free coffee? Awesome perk! (You see what I did there?)

Thank you for your in-depth insight! It puts the activity in perspective for me. And yes, nice pun :)

Quick question...would stating that my current employment is one of my most meaningful experiences be look down upon because is "paid employment" or would adcoms prefer meaningful experiences to be volunteer?
Adcomm's prefer you to pick Most Meaningful activities because they had significant impact on you. Employment, Research, Shadowing, medical exposure, Teaching, Leadership, sports, fine arts, etc are all fair game for the choice.

If it is most meaningful, it is most meaningful. Everyone needs to put food on the table and you will be granted respect and given brownie points for supporting yourself while taking care of your other responsibilities.

(This message is approved by adcoms on this site.)

Adcomm's prefer you to pick Most Meaningful activities because they had significant impact on you. Employment, Research, Shadowing, medical exposure, Teaching, Leadership, sports, fine arts, etc are all fair game for the choice.

If it is most meaningful, it is most meaningful. Everyone needs to put food on the table and you will be granted respect and given brownie points for supporting yourself while taking care of your other responsibilities.

(This message is approved by adcoms on this site.)

Thanks for your quick responses!!

I have a few questions regarding which categories would be best for the different activities I have.

1. My only two work experiences in college have been 1) two summer research fellowships and 2) a work study job as an organic chemistry tutor. I learned a great deal from my summer research experience and am having my PI write me a recommendation, so I thought it would be a better fit under the category of research. Likewise, my tutoring position could fall under the category of teaching/tutoring, a category in which I have no other activities currently. Should I list these two work experiences as "work experience" as well as "research" and "teaching/tutoring"?

2. If I presented a research poster at a national conference, should this be listed under "Conferences attended", "Presentations/Posters", or both?

3. Finally, one of my most meaningful experiences in college (and high school) was serving as the president and event chair of Relay for Life. This was definitely a leadership position in which I delegated tasks to different sub-committees and oversaw all operations, but this also included a lot of service activities such as visiting the Ronald McDonald house, fundraising the American Cancer Society, etc. Would you put this under leadership, service non-medical, or extracurriculars?

Thanks in advance for all of the help!

I have a few questions regarding which categories would be best for the different activities I have.

1. My only two work experiences in college have been 1) two summer research fellowships and 2) a work study job as an organic chemistry tutor. I learned a great deal from my summer research experience and am having my PI write me a recommendation, so I thought it would be a better fit under the category of research. Likewise, my tutoring position could fall under the category of teaching/tutoring, a category in which I have no other activities currently. Should I list these two work experiences as "work experience" as well as "research" and "teaching/tutoring"?

2. If I presented a research poster at a national conference, should this be listed under "Conferences attended", "Presentations/Posters", or both?

3. Finally, one of my most meaningful experiences in college (and high school) was serving as the president and event chair of Relay for Life. This was definitely a leadership position in which I delegated tasks to different sub-committees and oversaw all operations, but this also included a lot of service activities such as visiting the Ronald McDonald house, fundraising the American Cancer Society, etc. Would you put this under leadership, service non-medical, or extracurriculars?

Thanks in advance for all of the help!
Thank you for numbering your questions. Double listing is done on the TMDSAS application, but not for AMCAS:

1) List them as Research and Teaching. For the latter, mention the Work/Study designation in the title or in the description. You should not list them twice each; just choose one category. The research fellowship may not be considered "Employment" anyways, if what you received was a stipend.

2) Only list it under Presentations/Posters. Make it clear in the description that you are the one who did the presenting.

3) Consider splitting out the Leadership on its own and choosing Community Service/Volunteer for the rest of it. I would not call it an Extracurricular.

@Catalystik

I'm sure you've gotten this question before. My hospital volunteering program is absolutely terrible at keeping track of paperwork and I'm fairly certain they have my hours down incorrectly based on some of the emails I've received. The head of the program is notorious for not admitting to clerical and paperwork errors. Essentially she will not give the hours back regardless of the circumstances. I'm becoming increasingly paranoid that a medical school is going to call and think I am lying about my hours, it may only be like 30 off from what they have listed. For the amount of volunteering hours I have currently it will make a difference.

What do you suggest I do?

Additionally I have a tutoring job that pays you for a set amount of prep hours and classroom time. I've been spending around double the hours listed for prep time prepping for my lectures (it's an upper division so it takes a lot more work). So there would be a discrepancy if they were too look at the hours I was actually paid for. But in reality it's not inaccurate. How do I account for that?

@Catalystik1) I'm sure you've gotten this question before. My hospital volunteering program is absolutely terrible at keeping track of paperwork and I'm fairly certain they have my hours down incorrectly based on some of the emails I've received. The head of the program is notorious for not admitting to clerical and paperwork errors. Essentially she will not give the hours back regardless of the circumstances. I'm becoming increasingly paranoid that a medical school is going to call and think I am lying about my hours, it may only be like 30 off from what they have listed. For the amount of volunteering hours I have currently it will make a difference.

What do you suggest I do?

2) Additionally I have a tutoring job that pays you for a set amount of prep hours and classroom time. I've been spending around double the hours listed for prep time prepping for my lectures (it's an upper division so it takes a lot more work). So there would be a discrepancy if they were too look at the hours I was actually paid for. But in reality it's not inaccurate. How do I account for that?
1) Why not call and find out the true discrepancy between what you feel is true and what the documentation will show, to see if your worry is warranted. You might consider differentiating between documented required shift time vs added time in your description.

2) Same here: record paid time separate from prep time.

1) Why not call and find out the true discrepancy between what you feel is true and what the documentation will show, to see if your worry is warranted. You might consider differentiating between documented required shift time vs added time in your description.

2) Same here: record paid time separate from prep time.

As ridiculous as this sounds you have to fill out a form. The wait is around 5 weeks minimum right now for the program to get back to you with your hours. I'll have submitted my application before they even get back to me. My best friend just graduated from the program and has been waiting to get her hours report since February. Absolutely ridiculous. . I don't understand it myself. Maybe I'll try muscling through the lower levels to get to the department head. I wish people would have warned me before committing to this program. Never ever join a program that is run by volunteer undergrads and one paid position.
Should I really be that concerned if I can't get through in time before I submit my application?

That's a pretty good idea for the tutoring though.

As ridiculous as this sounds you have to fill out a form. The wait is around 5 weeks minimum right now for the program to get back to you with your hours. I'll have submitted my application before they even get back to me. My best friend just graduated from the program and has been waiting to get her hours report since February. Absolutely ridiculous. . I don't understand it myself. Maybe I'll try muscling through the lower levels to get to the department head. I wish people would have warned me before committing to this program. Never ever join a program that is run by volunteer undergrads and one paid position.
Should I really be that concerned if I can't get through in time before I submit my application?
If it's that difficult, it sounds like an outside agency calling to confirm dates and hours would not be able to get the info with a single phone contact. Is there anyone at the site beside the volunteer coordinator who can vouch for you? Like a nurse or unit secretary where you do your work?

If it's that difficult, it sounds like an outside agency calling to confirm dates and hours would not be able to get the info with a single phone contact. Is there anyone at the site beside the volunteer coordinator who can vouch for you? Like a nurse or unit secretary where you do your work?

I honestly don't know really anyone in my program. The department coordinator for my department changes every 3 months I swear. I'll see if maybe one of the nurses can vouch for me. The program is very independent. There can't be more than one volunteer on at a time, you meet with the department coordinator every 3 months. The only real contact is with a staff member in the ER. I wouldn't trust putting the number down of the program because they never answer the phone due to the fact that the volunteers staff the phones and no one signs up for those shifts.

I have a question about artistic endeavors. I studied piano from childhood and continue to play today. I believe this activity would be a good one to list because I participated in multiple recitals, and even played in international recitals. What should I list as my start date? I practiced as up to 30 hours a week in high school and some of college. Do I really need to tally all of the hours I did in this activity?

I definitely will put my publication under the "publication" heading, but i was wondering others' thoughts on listing the details of my involvement in the research in this same "publications" heading or if i should describe the research in a separate "research" activity. I ask because I will already have 2 other activities under the category of research with 2 different PIs. So i would have 3 research activities total with 3 different PIs plus the abstract activity (with one of the previous PIs) out of my 15 and this would also require me to creatively combine 2 of my other activities to stay at the 15 maximum. I apologize if this is confusing - i can clarify more if needed.

Small question: I've already done quite a bit of shadowing, so extra hours aren't critical. But could I also list time spent following a doctor/professor (and, later that day, a medical student) around medical school as "shadowing"? It was very informal but actually pretty awesome.

I definitely will put my publication under the "publication" heading, but i was wondering others' thoughts on listing the details of my involvement in the research in this same "publications" heading or if i should describe the research in a separate "research" activity. I ask because I will already have 2 other activities under the category of research with 2 different PIs. So i would have 3 research activities total with 3 different PIs plus the abstract activity (with one of the previous PIs) out of my 15 and this would also require me to creatively combine 2 of my other activities to stay at the 15 maximum. I apologize if this is confusing - i can clarify more if needed.
If you're scrambling for space under your other Research activity description already, just make another Research activity altogether. Describe the research and cite the pub in a second paragraph. For the title, write "__ Research + Publication" so the pub is made front and clear and differentiated from your other Research description that does not include a pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.