*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I say August 2012-June 2016, it allows me to do that as long as I don't check "repeated". But then when I went back to the form, the month "June" in June 2016 was whited out (meaning I can't click on it or change it). Does that mean adcoms won't be seeing it? So they'll just see August 2012- (no month) 2016?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to include the hours of a future activity that you are already engaged in, but keeping in mind that you won't be judged by future plans that could fall through, you can consider these options:

1) Use the Repeated feature to separate the Completed vs Future hours. This works if June 2015 is both your End Date for the Completed Hours and your Start Date for the future hours (you won't be permitted to enter and save a future start date that hasn't happened yet). Put the appropriate total in each Total Hours box. Include a conservative, in-good-faith guess on future hours for the second Total Hours box.

2) Or, only list the Completed Hours in the Total Hours box using the appropriate Start and End Dates, then in the narrative box state that you plan to continue this activity from June 2015-May 2016 (or whenever) with a probable additional hours.

3) Or, do the same as in #2, but don't state anticipated Future hours, especially if there is any possibility they might not be completed. Just make a statement that you intend to continue with the activity for another X months.
Thanks! Does using the repeat button and splitting up hours give adcoms a "worse" impression? As in psychologically, they tend to be more impressed with an activity that just says "200 hrs" rather than an activity that says 60 hrs for this time frame, 70 hours for this time frame, etc... to give a total of 200 right?

If I say August 2012-June 2016, it allows me to do that as long as I don't check "repeated". But then when I went back to the form, the month "June" in June 2016 was whited out (meaning I can't click on it or change it). Does that mean adcoms won't be seeing it? So they'll just see August 2012- (no month) 2016?
If you don't enter a month, the program gives you an error message and won't let you save the item. When I look at it, August (when 2016 is selected) is whited out, but June and July look fine.

Try going back to the 2016 choice and under the year, pick "Select One" to see if the month box will reset along with the year choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Does using the repeat button and splitting up hours give adcoms a "worse" impression? As in psychologically, they tend to be more impressed with an activity that just says "200 hrs" rather than an activity that says 60 hrs for this time frame, 70 hours for this time frame, etc... to give a total of 200 right?
I can't speak for all adcomms, but personally I like to see the hours broken down. And, I know how to add. :heckyeah:

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't enter a month, the program gives you an error message and won't let you save the item. When I look at it, August (when 2016 is selected) is whited out, but June and July look fine.

Try going back to the 2016 choice and under the year, pick "Select One" to see if the month box will reset along with the year choices.
Hmm... I tried that. I only entered June 2016 and it whites out the month "June" for me. It also whites out May for me too :confused:

Last edited:
Are you sure it doesn't white out June 2016 for you? I tried January 2016 and it's still being whited out. Not sure if this is actually important but just in case...I'm not sure if adcoms wouldn't be able to see it if it's whited out.

If you choose June 2016, click save, and come back to it, it will be whited out

Are you sure it doesn't white out June 2016 for you? I tried January 2016 and it's still being whited out. Not sure if this is actually important but just in case...I'm not sure if adcoms wouldn't be able to see it if it's whited out.

If you choose June 2016, click save, and come back to it, it will be whited out
I created an entry to simulate yours and it comes out fine when saved, without any whiting out of dates. If you want to see how your application will appear to adcomms, go to the Main Menu, click Print Application on the right side of the page, and select Print PDF view. You don't have to actually print it to see how it will look.

Edit: I checked my Print View and the dates looked normal.

Last edited:
I created an entry to simulate yours and it comes out fine when saved, without any whiting out of dates. If you want to see how your application will appear to adcomms, go to the Main Menu, click Print Application on the right side of the page, and select Print PDF view. You don't have to actually print it to see how it will look.

Edit: I checked my Print View and the dates looked normal.
Ah ok, thank you so much!! Is the order of the activities on the Print PDF view the order in which it will show up in adcoms? I think I remember your previous post saying that it will be in chronological order? My activities order as it is listed on pdf view is currently not.

Is the order of the activities on the Print PDF view the order in which it will show up in adcoms? I think I remember your previous post saying that it will be in chronological order? My activities order as it is listed on pdf view is currently not.
The default view for med schools is chronological order when the applications are transmitted to them by AAMC, but they each have the choice of sorting them by other parameters.

I was part of an organization that I eventually took a leadership position in. Should I list the membership time and leadership position as different spots or just mention that I was a member for x years before getting the leadership?

For non-meaningful experiences, should I keep it resume-style or should I also reflect on what I learned from the experiences? I'm worried that reflecting will make the application too lengthy and the adcoms will get bored of reading so much text

I was part of an organization that I eventually took a leadership position in. Should I list the membership time and leadership position as different spots or just mention that I was a member for x years before getting the leadership?
If you want your leadership to be highlighted, I think it would be most suitable to use Leadership as a tag, with the date span for the period of leadership only, but to mention in the narrative your dates as a a general member before that.

If you have plenty of leadership already, you might prefer to tag the activity as Extracurricular, use the full date span of involvement with the organization, and then in the narrative explain when you assumed a leadership role. In this case the name you give the activity might be something like, General Member and Elected Officer of the Campus Cleanup Crew Club.

If your organization got involved in a lot of community service, then splitting the general membership into two entries would be suitable so you can highlight the volunteerism in one of them and the leadership in the other, each with its own date span.

For non-meaningful experiences, should I keep it resume-style or should I also reflect on what I learned from the experiences? I'm worried that reflecting will make the application too lengthy and the adcoms will get bored of reading so much text
Some activities lend themselves to reflection and some don't. Approach each activity separately and decide what is needed among the possibilities of description, role, impact, future plan, reflection, etc. A variety of approaches makes the section much easier to read.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did Americorps for work-study during my first two years. Each year I committed roughly 350 hours, however, work-study was awarded up to only 300 hours, so the rest of the hours were pretty much volunteering hours. Should this be classified as work experience or volunteering?

I did Americorps for work-study during my first two years. Each year I committed roughly 350 hours, however, work-study was awarded up to only 300 hours, so the rest of the hours were pretty much volunteering hours. Should this be classified as work experience or volunteering?
Did you receive a salary, from which taxes were deducted? Then list it as Employment, but mention in the narrative that an additional 50 hours were unpaid.

Or did you receive a stipend, which doesn't pay taxes? Then list it under Community Service, but mention that you did receive a stipend for the first 300 hours in the narrative.

Regardless, be sure the word "Americorps" is in the name of the activity.

So questions:
I submitted AMCAS and realized that there was a slight typo with my contact email address for my PI. My PI is one of my letter writers and his correct information will be there (It can also be very easily found via google search). Is this something that I should worry about and contact the schools that I apply to?

I submitted AMCAS and realized that there was a slight typo with my contact email address for my PI. My PI is one of my letter writers and his correct information will be there (It can also be very easily found via google search). Is this something that I should worry about and contact the schools that I apply to?
Don't worry about it. If an email like that that bounced back, another easy-to-check place for a current institution-related email address would be the Directory Search feature of the named school.

Last edited:
last question(s) - if our gap year job doesn't start until august theres no way of putting it on work/activities? i'm just worried because i'n doing sort of an atypical gap year - working in business to make $$$ to pay off loans and help sister with college - and i don't want to make it seem like i am blindsiding schools. theres no related activities that i can tack on a 'this is what i'll be doing next year' so i am not sure what to do.

Greetings to all. This is my first post on the forums, so please bear with me if I break any protocol.
Just wanted to get feedback on one entry in my work/activities section. I just started filling out this section so I want to see if I am on the right track.
Experience type: "research/lab."
Experience name: Undergraduate Research Intern at XXX Cancer Center
September 2013-April 2015 (680 hours)
Experience Description:
-Worked on Smoking Relapse Prevention... research study under supervision of Dr. ABC.
-Recruited and consented inpatients and outpatients into study.
-Maintained communication with patients in order to perform 2 month, 6 month, and 12 month follow ups- in person or over the phone.
-Follow up tasks included data collection, performing biochemical verifications, and dispensing monetary compensation.
-Handled mailing all materials to participants.
-Electronically recorded all collected data/maintained individualized participant notes in designated study database.
-Performed internal audits and quality control to ensure data consistency.

The above description covers everything I did in the study. However, I am wondering if it seems too technical?
Within my duties on the study I visited patients in different departments of the cancer center, including the Infusion Center, Head & Neck clinic, thoracic and even the critical care unit. I had interactions with doctors, nurses, nurses assistants etc. because it was necessary in order to facilitate meeting with patients to collect study materials (whether they were inpatients or I caught them at appoinments.) As a result I have many memorable interactions and conversations with patients, especially patients I have visited multiple times. These interactions include sharing proud moments with pts who finally managed to kick the habit etc.
The majority of my research experience was conducted within the hospital, but how can I efficiently convey this within the limited character spaces of the experience description?
I was definetly going to include this as a "most meaningful"experience, so perhaps I should discuss this in the additional 1325 characters allotted? Please advise. Sorry for the long question

last question(s) - if our gap year job doesn't start until august theres no way of putting it on work/activities? i'm just worried because i'n doing sort of an atypical gap year - working in business to make $$$ to pay off loans and help sister with college - and i don't want to make it seem like i am blindsiding schools. theres no related activities that i can tack on a 'this is what i'll be doing next year' so i am not sure what to do.
You might have added to a short-term employment entry as a future plan, but I gather you've already submitted, so Secondaries or a fall update letter are your best option.

Greetings to all. This is my first post on the forums, so please bear with me if I break any protocol.
Just wanted to get feedback on one entry in my work/activities section. I just started filling out this section so I want to see if I am on the right track.
Experience type: "research/lab."
Experience name: Undergraduate Research Intern at XXX Cancer Center
September 2013-April 2015 (680 hours)
Experience Description:
-Worked on Smoking Relapse Prevention... research study under supervision of Dr. ABC.
-Recruited and consented inpatients and outpatients into study.
-Maintained communication with patients in order to perform 2 month, 6 month, and 12 month follow ups- in person or over the phone.
-Follow up tasks included data collection, performing biochemical verifications, and dispensing monetary compensation.
-Handled mailing all materials to participants.
-Electronically recorded all collected data/maintained individualized participant notes in designated study database.
-Performed internal audits and quality control to ensure data consistency.

The above description covers everything I did in the study. However, I am wondering if it seems too technical?
Within my duties on the study I visited patients in different departments of the cancer center, including the Infusion Center, Head & Neck clinic, thoracic and even the critical care unit. I had interactions with doctors, nurses, nurses assistants etc. because it was necessary in order to facilitate meeting with patients to collect study materials (whether they were inpatients or I caught them at appoinments.) As a result I have many memorable interactions and conversations with patients, especially patients I have visited multiple times. These interactions include sharing proud moments with pts who finally managed to kick the habit etc.
The majority of my research experience was conducted within the hospital, but how can I efficiently convey this within the limited character spaces of the experience description?
I was definetly going to include this as a "most meaningful"experience, so perhaps I should discuss this in the additional 1325 characters allotted? Please advise. Sorry for the long question
Editorial commentary falls outside the scope of this thread, but if you're interested in seeing how some others have written their activity entries, here are some examples for you. Scroll down to activities. Click each title for an expanded narrative: http://www.mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=24817
http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=19291

My volunteering experience is going to be my most meaningful. I started volunteering in winter 2013 in 3 different units in the hospital. that ended in june 2014. so for the fall 2014 semester, i volunteered in one but i kinda stopped because i was just restocking things that were already stocked, it was really time wasting, and it was inconvenient because i went straight from class to the hospital to work, so i never really had breakfast or lunch.- i did like 9 hours in that unit. So the hospital changed its policy, so i couldnt volunteer in winter 2015. but i picked up in june, i have 6 hours. I dont really know what to do. how do i put it in my app. do i put repeated activities. i kinda have like a gap year where i didnt really do anything. i have 100 hours overall.

Hey all, a couple quick questions -
1) If I received grant funding, would this be it's own activity in "Awards/Honors" category, or should I include that fact that I received grant funding in the description of the activity the grant was for? If specifics help, I received grants for both research and a community service project
2) How/Where should I put patents for which I am one of the inventors? Does it have to be a full patent or is a provisional acceptable? Also what information should I provide about the patents other than what they're for?
3) For REU/SURF type programs, should I list this under research or awards?

My volunteering experience is going to be my most meaningful. I started volunteering in winter 2013 in 3 different units in the hospital. that ended in june 2014. so for the fall 2014 semester, i volunteered in one but i kinda stopped because i was just restocking things that were already stocked, it was really time wasting, and it was inconvenient because i went straight from class to the hospital to work, so i never really had breakfast or lunch.- i did like 9 hours in that unit. So the hospital changed its policy, so i couldnt volunteer in winter 2015. but i picked up in june, i have 6 hours. I dont really know what to do. how do i put it in my app. do i put repeated activities. i kinda have like a gap year where i didnt really do anything. i have 100 hours overall.
Using the Repeated feature is one option, where you'd enter each date range and the individual hours for three spans that you've completed. And then use a fourth space for future predicted hours not yet done. Or alternatively, you might enter the first date and the last date, title the activity Intermittent Hospital Volunteering, or some such, and then just put the total hours in one Total Hours box. In the narrative you could mention that you plan to continue through a certain date in the future.

Hey all, a couple quick questions -
1) If I received grant funding, would a) this be it's own activity in "Awards/Honors" category, or b) should I include that fact that I received grant funding in the description of the activity the grant was for? If specifics help, I received grants for both research and a community service project
2) How/Where should I put patents for which I am one of the inventors? Does it have to be a full patent or is a provisional acceptable? Also what information should I provide about the patents other than what they're for?
3) For REU/SURF type programs, should I list this under research or awards?
1) I suggest b) of the above. If you were sole author of the grant proposal, mention it.

2) See http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...coinventor-on-a-patent.1128713/#post-16346921

3) Research.

Using the Repeated feature is one option, where you'd enter each date range and the individual hours for three spans that you've completed. And then use a fourth space for future predicted hours not yet done. Or alternatively, you might enter the first date and the last date, title the activity Intermittent Hospital Volunteering, or some such, and then just put the total hours in one Total Hours box. In the narrative you could mention that you plan to continue through a certain date in the future.
alright, thanks. I thought intermittent volunteering was not recommended.

alright, thanks. I thought intermittent volunteering was not recommended.
Most students don't stay on campus every summer or during school breaks, which makes their academic-year volunteering intermittent. Some leave for study abroad for a semester or take time off due to MCAT study or a brutal triple-lab schedule. Thus intermittency is not uncommon.

So I worked at a hospital for about 40 hours over the summer after my freshman year. However, I worked at this same hospital previously in high school from sophomore to senior year for around 200ish hours. Since we can add up to 3 time ranges, should I add those hours as well? Also, I don't even know if my volunteer director will remember me from that time since it was so long ago. I don't even think she still works at that hospital according to her linkedin. Should I still list her as the contact? Also, for non-clinical volunteering, I've done about 100 hours volunteering at multiple different areas and events through my fraternity. What should I write for experience name and what do I put for the contact information. I'm assuming for contact info, I just put down the info of my fraternity president?

1) So I worked at a hospital for about 40 hours over the summer after my freshman year. However, I worked at this same hospital previously in high school from sophomore to senior year for around 200ish hours. Since we can add up to 3 time ranges, should I add those hours as well? Also, I don't even know if my volunteer director will remember me from that time since it was so long ago. I don't even think she still works at that hospital according to her linkedin. Should I still list her as the contact?

2) Also, for non-clinical volunteering, I've done about 100 hours volunteering at multiple different areas and events through my fraternity. What should I write for experience name and what do I put for the contact information. I'm assuming for contact info, I just put down the info of my fraternity president?
1) Though the activity began in HS, since you continued it into the college years, all three date ranges should be included, using the Repeated feature. Rather than using a person for a contact, you might just use the name of the office that maintains the volunteer records.

2) Use the fraternity as the umbrella organization that sponsored all the short-term volunteering. And the frat volunteer officer/organizer as the Contact. For a name use something like Fraternity-Sponsored Short-Term Volunteer Experiences in XXX Community. List as many of the organizations as you can recall, and have space for, with subtotaled hours for those where you spent the most time, but the grand total for all of them in the Total Hours box.

Hey catalystik,

Speaking of volunteering hours and fraternities, I was the philanthropy chair. Who do you recommend putting as the contact in this case? I emailed aamc and they said you can put yourself . I thought about putting the chapter president or vp at the time, but I'm not sure if that would work because it's pretty much like your friend down in this case. Thanks for the help again.

Hey catalystik,

Speaking of volunteering hours and fraternities, I was the philanthropy chair. Who do you recommend putting as the contact in this case? I emailed aamc and they said you can put yourself . I thought about putting the chapter president or vp at the time, but I'm not sure if that would work because it's pretty much like your friend down in this case. Thanks for the help again.
Any chapter officer who is aware of your involvement is a more objective contact than yourself. If the person has an official title, who's to say if it's a friend, or not?

1) Though the activity began in HS, since you continued it into the college years, all three date ranges should be included, using the Repeated feature. Rather than using a person for a contact, you might just use the name of the office that maintains the volunteer records.

2) Use the fraternity as the umbrella organization that sponsored all the short-term volunteering. And the frat volunteer officer/organizer as the Contact. For a name use something like Fraternity-Sponsored Short-Term Volunteer Experiences in XXX Community. List as many of the organizations as you can recall, and have space for, with subtotaled hours for those where you spent the most time, but the grand total for all of them in the Total Hours box.

Thanks for the reply Catalystik. One other question. For awards/honors, I'm grouping all of my collegiate awards and honors together under one category. What exactly should I put for award date, hours completed, and contact name?

For awards/honors, I'm grouping all of my collegiate awards and honors together under one category. What exactly should I put for award date, hours completed, and contact name?
I'd put the date you received the last of them.
Hours completed would be o, 1, or the time spent sitting at the awards ceremonies.
Contact is your college registrar.

I'm new at using this website but I had a quick question.

I grouped all my sorority philanthropic events under one work/activity slot, but what should I do about the title and number of hours?

@Catalystik , you mentioned in a previous post that we can put start/end dates for hobbies as start/end dates for college. Will adcoms see that as you only picked up those hobbies during college? Some of the hobbies I listed I did pick up in college but others I did not. Or is it best to put your date of birth as the starting date and end date as whatever the latest date you can possible enter?

For hours, should we enter 99999 to signify that we've been doing this for extended period of time and it's kind of hard to estimate hours? I think I also saw a post about that in this thread but just want to make sure. Will adcoms look down on that if we write 99999 hrs for hobbies?

I'm new at using this website but I had a quick question.

I grouped all my sorority philanthropic events under one work/activity slot, but what should I do about the title and number of hours?
See post #1643 above. For total hours give your best conservative good-faith estimate.

1) you mentioned in a previous post that we can put start/end dates for hobbies as start/end dates for college. Will adcoms see that as you only picked up those hobbies during college? Some of the hobbies I listed I did pick up in college but others I did not. Or is it best to put your date of birth as the starting date and end date as whatever the latest date you can possible enter?

2) For hours, should we enter 99999 to signify that we've been doing this for extended period of time and it's kind of hard to estimate hours? I think I also saw a post about that in this thread but just want to make sure. Will adcoms look down on that if we write 99999 hrs for hobbies?
1) If you enter a lifelong hobby, but choose to put in start and end dates for college only, you would mention in the narrative when you actually began the hobby so length of involvement is clear.

If you choose to enter the actual date of onset as the start date, I don't think that entering your birth date would be believable, so strive for a more realistic choice. The latest end date possible to enter is August 2016.

2) If you're 20 years old and enter 99999 you're saying you engaged in that activity for ~5000 hours per year since birth, which is not possible. Full-time work is about 2000 hours per year. Consider picking 9999 instead, if the number might truly have been that high, and explain in the narrative that the hours are uncertain.

Is there consensus on whether or not it's ok to reuse work/activities description from a previous application?

I'm a reapplicant this cycle and have revised a few of the descriptions for activities that ended before my first application. I would like to think there is no need to write a completely new description but wanted to check with the SDN community.

Is there consensus on whether or not it's ok to reuse work/activities description from a previous application?

I'm a reapplicant this cycle and have revised a few of the descriptions for activities that ended before my first application. I would like to think there is no need to write a completely new description but wanted to check with the SDN community.
The SDN hive mind feels they should at least superficially not look the same, as some schools do direct comparisons of old and new applications. SDNers have reported critical comments from interviewers who've evaluated them side to side when no effort was made to edit in some changes.

@Catalystik When putting job shadow experiences what do you suggest the title of the experience to be?

I've seen multiple posts that say to specify the Doctor's name and their profession that you are shadowing, but what if there are multiple doctors with multiple occasions that I have shadowed? Do I group them all as one? If I group them as one, what should the experience title by?

@Catalystik When putting job shadow experiences what do you suggest the title of the experience to be?

I've seen multiple posts that say to specify the Doctor's name and their profession that you are shadowing, but what if there are multiple doctors with multiple occasions that I have shadowed? Do I group them all as one? If I group them as one, what should the experience title by?
Title could be Multiple Physician Observation Through XXX Program.

Most group all shadowing together unless there was a single profoundly-impactful relationship built with one doc, and then they'd use two.

Reposted as an example to show different ways of showing timeframe:

One potential format for listing physician shadowing on an AMCAS application (whichever doc you list first, you'd put the pertinent data in the header and omit it from the narrative box. Total Hours box would be all the hours added together):

**4/15-5/15: 15 hours, Jake Famleedok, MD, Family Practice. [email protected] This was mostly clinic time, but I got to observe a vaginal delivery, too. I cut the cord!

**3/14-5/2014: 20 hours, Ling Ula, MD, Pulmonology, Podunk, AL, Health Clinic, 555-555-5556 ext 45

** 12/2013-6/14 (once monthly): 40 hours, Al Abowtgolf, DO, Sports Medicine, Podunk, AL, Health Clinic, 555-555-5555, ext 34

**Spring 2012: 15 hours, John Kutoocure, DO, Surgeon, Meridian, MS. [email protected] Observed a complete bowel resection and a pancreatic cancer resection. Some clinic hours included.

**Also planning 8 hour job shadow 7/9/16 with an OBGYN. (Not included in overall total hours)

-If the Contact is not the physician, you'll need to add that person's name, too. If a program coordinator arranged all the shadowing and can vouch for you, then physician phone or email can be omitted.
-If two or more took place at one location, you might list them at the top and have the header Organization apply to both.
-If you have many, many docs, you can list the main ones at the top and later summarize others in a way that fits in the remaining space, like "Also shadowed a rheumatologist, neonatologist, and neurosurgeon for 20 more hours combined" without giving contacts and locations.

@Catalystik I also forgot to ask how should we list that we shadowed a relative? Should we keep that out especially if the relative is a parent??

@Catalystik I also forgot to ask how should we list that we shadowed a relative? Should we keep that out especially if the relative is a parent??
Shadowing a relative is fine. Include their name in your entry the same as you would any other. No need to mention the relationship unless you wish.

Hi Catlystik,

Thank you for the replies, they have been very helpful. I also want to somehow talk about family related topics on my app. I live with family members that require attention and assistance, so I spend a lot of time each week to tend to their needs. Would mentioning this under 'others' be appropriate? I do mention it briefly in my ps.. but i dont give much detail in that

@Catalystik thank you for all your advice, you have truly helped me just by taking the time to answer my questions!

Hi Catlystik,

Thank you for the replies, they have been very helpful. I also want to somehow talk about family related topics on my app. I live with family members that require attention and assistance, so I spend a lot of time each week to tend to their needs. Would mentioning this under 'others' be appropriate? I do mention it briefly in my ps.. but i dont give much detail in that
Yes, "Other" is the best choice. Don't use "Volunteer".

I'm probably overthinking this one, but I am having a hard time choosing a name for my research experience. This was unpaid chemistry research done as an undergrad (volunteer, not for credit). My main concern is how specific to make the title. Initially, I was going to go with something simple like "Volunteer Chemistry Researcher" or "Undergraduate Chemistry Researcher," but I will be listing " ... University Department of Chemistry" as the organization, so I'm wondering whether it would be redundant to include chemistry in the name. Also, since they can tell from the dates that it was done as an undergraduate, should I avoid specifying"Undergraduate" in the name? On the other hand, the research was medically-related (focused on the drug delivery of a medication in people with a specific disease) , so I also think it might be better to be more specific and go with a title like "Volunteer *disease name* Researcher." I will be explaining all of this in the experience description, but I would appreciate any input on picking a title.

I'm probably overthinking this one, but I am having a hard time choosing a name for my research experience. This was unpaid chemistry research done as an undergrad (volunteer, not for credit). My main concern is how specific to make the title. Initially, I was going to go with something simple like "Volunteer Chemistry Researcher" or "Undergraduate Chemistry Researcher," but I will be listing " ... University Department of Chemistry" as the organization, so I'm wondering whether it would be redundant to include chemistry in the name. Also, since they can tell from the dates that it was done as an undergraduate, should I avoid specifying"Undergraduate" in the name? On the other hand, the research was medically-related (focused on the drug delivery of a medication in people with a specific disease) , so I also think it might be better to be more specific and go with a title like "Volunteer *disease name* Researcher." I will be explaining all of this in the experience description, but I would appreciate any input on picking a title.
Something like Volunteer Research Assistant for (drug delivery of a medication in people with a specific disease) Project would include the elements of importance in the title. Side note: If you were the one in charge who came up with the project, wrote the protocol, and is running it, then calling yourself "Researcher" is fine.

Something like Volunteer Research Assistant for (drug delivery of a medication in people with a specific disease) Project would include the elements of importance in the title. Side note: If you were the one in charge who came up with the project, wrote the protocol, and is running it, then calling yourself "Researcher" is fine.
Thanks for that clarification. I was definitely a research assistant, not researcher!

There is a huge possibility there isn't really a great answer for my question, but basically I played 4 years of a varsity sport (team sport too) in college and did very well. I dedicated so much of my time to it so I think its only reasonable to put it as one of my 3 most important activities. However - and maybe this is just because I have played a sport for so long and have had to write about it for so many things - I don't know how to talk about this without sounding like every other athlete anymore. It's so significant to me in details I don't need to go in to, but how do I convey this without sounding so unoriginal?

Status
Not open for further replies.