*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it bad to say similar things in work and activities and ps?

Is it bad to include artistic endeavors again as hobbies?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Is it bad to say similar things in work and activities and ps?

2) Is it bad to include artistic endeavors again as hobbies?
1) No, but try to use different vocabulary so it won't seem repetitive.

2) See post #1843 where I answered your question before. If you want to give specific details so you can get a more focused response, I invite you to do so.

Are there some important things I should pay attention to before I turn it in other than things like reading everything in work and activities?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there some important things I should pay attention to before I turn it in other than things like reading everything in work and activities?
Have three trusted others read a PDF Printed copy of the PS and activities with attention to proofreading for errors. Check all your Start and End Dates for accuracy. Be sure all contact info for yourself is correct.

1) PDF.

2) No & No.

Great! Submitted!!!
Catalystik,
On behalf of annoying premeds the world over, thank you so much for all your guidance and, most especially, for your endless patience!
I'd love to send you a colorful ball of yarn or whatever else tickles your feline fancies. But, alas! the Internet has its limitations...

Reactions: 1 user
NEED HELP WITH STUDY ABROAD!
So I saw somewhere someone said put under other section. Which I will, hours should I just multiply 24hrs/day for how many days? It was a a month, one 4 credit class. It was through the university, we paid our university for tuition fees, and the grade was through our school website just like during a normal semester. That being said, should I put that in my "Colleges attended section"???? I have my university, a community college, and should I put the University that I studied at abroad??

This is what I have in colleges attended for that one right now.

Degree: No Degree Expected
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
Major: No Major
spacer.gif
Edit
spacer.gif

Minor: No Minor
spacer.gif
Edit
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Transcript Required: No

Is that okay? and for course work since theres no transcript and the grade is on my transcript, how do i enter it? under my university courses or the study abroad one or both??
And AP classes, should I only put ones that I used credit for in college and not the ones that the exam score didn't count for anything or do I have to put all?

Thank you in advance! I know most of this isn't for work/activities i'll post in the other thread as well!

Hi! Quick question. I'm so torn and confused on what to save for my PS and what to put as most meaningful. Because I don't want to sound redundant you know? And for my PS I open up with talking about my shadowing experience from high school and then connecting it with experiences from college.... but then how do I start talking about something else without being choppy?! I have so many important things I'd like to state. And would you consider reading and baking hobbies or better off not putting?

Is it a good idea to put Dean's list when I got it only this past school year (3rd year?) ?

I have been trying hard to get on the deans list all throughout college, one class freshman year messed it up for me. And sophomore year I had a bad 2nd semester because I overloaded myself and fell on my face, but I made it this year! I am so excited that I finally got it, because in high school I was a 3.8 honors student, always taking the harder classes etc. So not getting on the dean's list for 2 years was upsetting. Should I put it as one of my 15? And if so, should I state everything i've said here? Or would it be better to point out my bad semester in my PS and talk about how I learned how to study and manage my time and to set realistic expectations of myself?

Thank you!

NEED HELP WITH STUDY ABROAD!
So I saw somewhere someone said put under other section. Which I will, hours should I just multiply 24hrs/day for how many days? It was a a month, one 4 credit class.
I'd suggest you should not include sleep hours. In the narrative you might break down class and study hours vs time experiencing the culture. Other is the best tag to use.

Is it a good idea to put Dean's list when I got it only this past school year (3rd year?) ?

I have been trying hard to get on the deans list all throughout college, one class freshman year messed it up for me. And sophomore year I had a bad 2nd semester because I overloaded myself and fell on my face, but I made it this year! I am so excited that I finally got it, because in high school I was a 3.8 honors student, always taking the harder classes etc. So not getting on the dean's list for 2 years was upsetting. Should I put it as one of my 15? And if so, should I state everything i've said here? Or would it be better to point out my bad semester in my PS and talk about how I learned how to study and manage my time and to set realistic expectations of myself?

Thank you!
The PS is not the place to discuss academic difficulty. Either save the discussion of overcoming this challenge for a Secondary essay or bring it up in an Honors/Awards space with your Deans List triumph as you've mentioned here.

I would love some feedback on my list for ECs. Thank you!

-Baking- hobby
-Reading - hobby
-Childcare provider (babysitting)- work non med
-Medical Billing Assistant- work non med
-tutor family's children- work non med (thinking of taking off..? it was one year, 3 kids
-Piano- artistic
- vice president of club **
-study abroad
- secretary of club
- physician shadowing
- free clinic volunteer **
-food pantry volunteer
-dean's list

13 items

** most meaningful choices??

and what about babysitting? I wrote about how one of the kids has a serious allergy, and I mean I babysit throughout the school year at least once a week for 4 years.

I would love some feedback on my list for ECs. Thank you!

-Baking- hobby
-Reading - hobby
-Childcare provider (babysitting)- work non med
-Medical Billing Assistant- work non med
-tutor family's children- work non med (thinking of taking off..? it was one year, 3 kids
-Piano- artistic
- vice president of club **
-study abroad
- secretary of club
- physician shadowing
- free clinic volunteer **
-food pantry volunteer
-dean's list

13 items

** most meaningful choices??

and what about babysitting? I wrote about how one of the kids has a serious allergy, and I mean I babysit throughout the school year at least once a week for 4 years.
Your assigned categories, where stated, and MM choices look fine. Include the babysitting and the tutoring.

Hello, just have a few questions about what I should include/omit:

- I am an avid volleyball player. All throughout college I either played on an intramural team or the Women’s Club Volleyball Team (3 semesters). I did not include this in my work/activities sections. Should I? I still have 2/15 spaces remaining.

- I attended an annual conference, twice, premedical, hosted by my undergraduate's medical school. The conference was organized by the medical students (SNMA) for members of an organization I was president of (MAPS). I listed my role as Presido "leadership" and briefly mentioned in the description that I attended these "conferences," did not give much detail. Is this okay, or should it be it's separate entry. This is essentially the only conference that I have attended, ever. :(

- Per lab experience - I read somewhere not to list lab techniques used. Is this correct? How else do we present what we did in the lab- I did include the research question.

- I was nominated/selected to attend the (My school)/Paychex Leadership Institute. We attended a 1 day conference - 8 different workshop, then received a certificate of completion at the end. Should I include this as an entry under honors/awards/etc. I have no other similar experiences to group with this one.

Thank you very much!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, just have a few questions about what I should include/omit:

1) - I am an avid volleyball player. All throughout college I either played on an intramural team or the Women’s Club Volleyball Team (3 semesters). I did not include this in my work/activities sections. Should I? I still have 2/15 spaces remaining.

2) - I attended an annual conference, twice, premedical, hosted by my undergraduate's medical school. The conference was organized by the medical students (SNMA) for members of an organization I was president of (MAPS). I listed my role as Presido "leadership" and briefly mentioned in the description that I attended these "conferences," did not give much detail. Is this okay, or should it be it's separate entry. This is essentially the only conference that I have attended, ever. :(

3)- Per lab experience - I read somewhere not to list lab techniques used. Is this correct? How else do we present what we did in the lab- I did include the research question.

4) - I was nominated/selected to attend the (My school)/Paychex Leadership Institute. We attended a 1 day conference - 8 different workshop, then received a certificate of completion at the end. Should I include this as an entry under honors/awards/etc. I have no other similar experiences to group with this one.
1) Include it as an Extracurricular.

2) I would not add a Conferences Attended space to discuss these separately.

3) Besides a brief overview of the project and one's role within it, it is common to list techniques utilized. If you have the space, definitely include them.

4) Having attended the conference doesn't add much to your application. Using the techniques learned to demonstrate one's leadership will be mentioned with an affiliated activity, but not specifically attributed to the leadership conference. But being nominated/selected to attend, if the criteria are based on qualities that suggest you have leadership potential IS worth mentioning in an Honors/Awards space.

Hi all so I took a research based class and we had to do multiple research projects and one final project about 15 pages long. Would that count as part of a research experience?

Final question (I hope) before I submit:

Should I add conferences attended or spoken at if they are NOT medical related? I presume no (and am fine with that :) )

Hi all so I took a research based class and we had to do multiple research projects and one final project about 15 pages long. Would that count as part of a research experience?
It depends. Was this hypothesis-driven original research? What was your role? Is it potentially publishable if you submit the report to a journal?

Should I add conferences attended or spoken at if they are NOT medical related? I presume no (and am fine with that :) )
If you spoke at a conference, you could list it under Posters/Presentations if it was research-related (or perhaps Teaching if it was not), which gives you a chance to enter the venue, so there is no point to relisting it. If you attended a conference solely for educational purposes, it would have to be extraordinary for it to have a chance of enhancing your application (and you are welcome to pass it by me if you are uncertain). If you were a conference organizer or had some other major role, then you are more likely to have a reason to use the Conferences Attended tag.

Thank you for responding and offer. I am going to leave it off.

It depends. Was this hypothesis-driven original research? What was your role? Is it potentially publishable if you submit the report to a journal?

It was a hypothesis driven original research only. The problem is that it was such a small study in terms of participants - only about 25 people but the actual work was heavy only. I am thinking that I should probably leave it off though.

It was a hypothesis driven original research only. The problem is that it was such a small study in terms of participants - only about 25 people but the actual work was heavy only. I am thinking that I should probably leave it off though.
That it was a small pilot study doesn't make your work ineligible.

I won a national music competition with my quartet the summer before first year and our group broke up afterwards (because I went to another city for university) but before that our group had been together for 3+ years and we did some community service together (eg. perform at retirement homes, volunteer at music camp with kids). I did continue playing with another group at my university in 3rd year though. I want to highlight our award where we won nationals (which was a HUGE deal) but also mention that we did volunteer work... so it wasn't all performing/rehearsals. Would it be better to put this in artistic endeavors or awards?

I won a national music competition with my quartet the summer before first year and our group broke up afterwards (because I went to another city for university) but before that our group had been together for 3+ years and we did some community service together (eg. perform at retirement homes, volunteer at music camp with kids). I did continue playing with another group at my university in 3rd year though. I want to highlight our award where we won nationals (which was a HUGE deal) but also mention that we did volunteer work... so it wasn't all performing/rehearsals. Would it be better to put this in artistic endeavors or awards?
I'd suggest you use Artistic Endeavors so you can mention all your public musical involvement together. You can use the title to highlight the award, like, Musical Quartet Membership and National Award-Winning Performance. Consider splitting off the volunteer performances into their own category if you feel there were sufficient hours for this to stand on its own. Otherwise, mention it in the narrative of the Artistic Endeavors.

I posted this in the wrong thread, so posting it over here again....

1) In the work experience section, is it advisable to list volunteering/work experiences which are old like 10 yrs. old and there is no contact for that right now. Since there is nobody to corroborate that experience on my behalf, is it best to leave those out? Can I provide 'self' as the contact for those experiences?

I posted this in the wrong thread, so posting it over here again....

1) In the work experience section, is it advisable to list volunteering/work experiences which are old like 10 yrs. old and there is no contact for that right now. Since there is nobody to corroborate that experience on my behalf, is it best to leave those out? Can I provide 'self' as the contact for those experiences?
You can use yourself as Contact, explaining a lack of objective contact in the narrative. Keep in mind that if you volunteered with an organization, you don't need a Contact who knew you, just one who can verify your involvement.

Many nontraditional applicants group their long-ago activities together so they take less attention away from more recent involvement that will weigh more heavily with adcomms.

You can use yourself as Contact, explaining a lack of objective contact in the narrative. Keep in mind that if you volunteered with an organization, you don't need a Contact who knew you, just one who can verify your involvement.

Many nontraditional applicants group their long-ago activities together so they take less attention away from more recent involvement that will weigh more heavily with adcomms.
Much appreciated sir! Thanks for the advise and the quick response.

I'm not applying til next cycle, but have been wondering about this, and it's kind of a follow up to the above post.

I'm a junior trad, only became pre-med in the last 9 months or so. I've worked a variety of random jobs continuously since graduating high school (McDonalds, daycare, retail, you name it). Once I decided on med school, I switched to healthcare and volunteer oriented activities and jobs.

Should I put down all the old jobs to demonstrate that I've been keeping busy before deciding on med school? Is it acceptable in this case to put all 6 or so jobs under one heading?

Last edited:
I'm a junior trad, only became pre-med in the last 9 months or so. I've worked a variety of random jobs continuously since graduating high school (McDonalds, daycare, retail, you name it). Once I decided on med school, I switched to healthcare and volunteer oriented activities and jobs.

1) Should I put down all the old jobs to demonstrate that I've been keeping busy before deciding on med school?
2) Is it acceptable in this case to put all 6 or so jobs under one heading?
1) Yes. Typically one would title the entry something like, Short-Term Jobs in the College Years.

2) Fitting 6 jobs into one space might be tough, considering you'll be able to insert contact information in the header for just the first one, with the rest in the narrative portion. But it could be done if you have zero description. You could also consider using two spaces. And maybe some fit under other headings pertinent to medicine, like Teaching, Research, or Leadership, because any job that required people skills, problem-solving, or responsibility/trust, you'd want to be sure to describe.

Reactions: 1 users
could I PM anybody to take a look at my activities? I organized everything under the categories that I thought fit. Please let me know who would be able to take a look and offer their feedback? thank you so much. I am not a traditional applicant with a lot of research experience.

Last edited:
Does Senior Sales Associate/ Store Opener count as leadership? I would be in charge on the days I opened, and I assigned tasks to my coworkers.

Does Senior Sales Associate/ Store Opener count as leadership? I would be in charge on the days I opened, and I assigned tasks to my coworkers.
Sounds promising, especially if you are responsible for oversight and overall results. Be sure your description of role supports the tag you chose.

Catalystik, I was wondering if you could answer a quick question of mine:

I spent a summer working on a clinical research project which got published as well as shadowing the doctor that oversaw that project. Should I have a separate activity for shadowing him and a separate one for the research project/the publication information. So three things came out of this summer with one doctor: shadowing, clinical research project, and a publication. Do I have to list this under three different activities? One for physician shadowing, one for research/lab, and one for publication? Or do I list them under two different activities: one for shadowing and the other under "publication" which describes the clinical research project and publication?

Thank you very much!

Catalystik, I was wondering if you could answer a quick question of mine:

I spent a summer working on a clinical research project which got published as well as shadowing the doctor that oversaw that project. Should I have a separate activity for shadowing him and a separate one for the research project/the publication information. So three things came out of this summer with one doctor: shadowing, clinical research project, and a publication. Do I have to list this under three different activities? One for physician shadowing, one for research/lab, and one for publication? Or do I list them under two different activities: one for shadowing and the other under "publication" which describes the clinical research project and publication?

Thank you very much!
Ideally, you'd use three spaces, taking care not to double count hours, provided the pub appeared in a noncampus journal. If space is critical, or if the publication was printed in a campus journal, then cite the publication at the end of a Research space.

If you already have a showing entry, this Shadowing could be included there.

Thank you for your very prompt response! For a "publication" entry, do we just enter the number of hours spent doing clinical research that was relevant to that publication, do we enter zero for it, or do we enter the amount of time invested in writing it/submitting it?

Thanks again. :)

Thank you for your very prompt response! For a "publication" entry, do we just enter the number of hours spent doing clinical research that was relevant to that publication, do we enter zero for it, or do we enter the amount of time invested in writing it/submitting it?

Thanks again. :)
Enter a 0 or 1 for total hours and include prep time with the Research hours.

I'm not sure if this has been asked, I tried to use the search function and nothing came up that helped in my situation. I am committed to beginning a scribe job Aug 1 at a medical center that is linked to a med school I am very keen on attending. I know the rule of thumb is to not include future activities in the work/activities section, but can I list this in such a way to show that I am keen on the school as well as the city. I have switched my residency as well due to this job.

I am committed to beginning a scribe job Aug 1 at a medical center that is linked to a med school I am very keen on attending. I know the rule of thumb is to not include future activities in the work/activities section, but can I list this in such a way to show that I am keen on the school as well as the city. I have switched my residency as well due to this job.
The AMCAS application won't allow you to enter a future start date and save it, so you won't be able to dedicate a space to your planned employment until Aug 1. You could instead fit in mention of it at the end of another similar activity though. If you do this, be careful not to overstate your situation. If you have been hired and are already trained, say you're hired and give the start date. If you've been accepted for training, that does not constitute a promise of employment, so I suggest you only say what is true. Everyone doesn't pass beyond the orientation/training period.

Alternatively, you might do some research (see School Specific forum in PreMedAllo) and see what the Secondary for that school looks like. If it asks your plans for the next year, you can more legitimately say you are employed at the med school's hospital/ED, or whatever, by the time you receive the formal invitation to fill it out. And then you can leave it off the Primary application. Also, when you move to your new address, that is one area of the application that you can change after submitting.

Thank you so much for all your help and the quick response!

Hey everyone!

I'm currently at 14 activities after cutting a few ones out that would have just appeared to be attempts at padding. One was a cashiering job I had from my senior year of high school to just before sophomore year of college. I was also a bit of a flaky member of two pre-med organizations/societies at my university during my freshman and sophomore years. I paid dues for them but didn't fully achieve active membership as I was short on volunteer hours. Am I right to cut both the cashiering AND the "membership" out of my application? I know that cashiering can stand for customer service/interpersonal interactions, but my more recent non-profit work probably overshadows that. Should I keep it in?

I was thinking of filling that last slot with Hobbies (musical, artistic, etc.)

I'd appreciate any advice you can give me! Thank you!

I'm currently at 14 activities after cutting a few ones out that would have just appeared to be attempts at padding. One was a cashiering job I had from my senior year of high school to just before sophomore year of college. I was also a bit of a flaky member of two pre-med organizations/societies at my university during my freshman and sophomore years. I paid dues for them but didn't fully achieve active membership as I was short on volunteer hours. Am I right to cut both the cashiering AND the "membership" out of my application? I know that cashiering can stand for customer service/interpersonal interactions, but my more recent non-profit work probably overshadows that. Should I keep it in?

I was thinking of filling that last slot with Hobbies (musical, artistic, etc.)
The PreMed Club can go. But honestly, I'd try to keep the cashiering job. Is it possible to group it with another job in a space maybe named Collegiate Years Employment, so you can still fit in a Hobbies entry?

I've volunteered at 3 hospitals, each time at a different department. Do most people group these together? I don't have many EC's, so grouping would probably make me look bad. But I feel weird having three activities titled "Hospital volunteer".

I've volunteered at 3 hospitals, each time at a different department. Do most people group these together? I don't have many EC's, so grouping would probably make me look bad. But I feel weird having three activities titled "Hospital volunteer".
Yo Sirius Black,
Some might group them if the individual hours are sparse, so the Total Hours have more impact. If you don't group them, try to pick a different name for each, maybe using the Department name where you volunteered to distinguish them. And maybe what you did was different at each place, so that could be used instead of "Volunteer" in the title, like Pediatric Child Life Advocate, Post-Operative Family-Patient Liaison, and Emergency Department Patient Greeter, or somesuch.

Quick question: I did basic science research in a lab for a year and presented it at the end of the year too (which I have under two separate activities, research/lab + presentation). I was wondering, do I talk about the results of this research under one of those two activities (if so, which one) or do I just describe my contribution/responsibilities, how it makes me a more qualified applicant, etc?

Quick question: I did basic science research in a lab for a year and presented it at the end of the year too (which I have under two separate activities, research/lab + presentation). I was wondering, do I talk about the results of this research under one of those two activities (if so, which one) or do I just describe my contribution/responsibilities, how it makes me a more qualified applicant, etc?
Read post 3 of this thread, item #20 for nuances.

Common inclusions in the Research entry are overview of project, your role, skills learned (if applicable), impact/insights (if any). Results are not essential to include, as many don't get to that point while with a project. Put it with Research, if you like, as space permits.

hey this year, I am working in my father's office as his medical secretary. My father is a doctor and I spend at least 18-20 hours per week in his office. If I put it in my activities thread and list his as the contact, would it be weird?

hey this year, I am working in my father's office as his medical secretary. My father is a doctor and I spend at least 18-20 hours per week in his office. If I put it in my activities thread and list his as the contact, would it be weird?
Is it possible to list a more objective witness to your hours of involvement, like an office manager, receptionist, or nurse? Do what you can.

@Catalystik I just got a new job so I had to discontinue some of my activities I had on my primary. Is it worth it to send schools an update? I've already submitted all my secondaries. I'm thinking of just updating schools during interviews. Thanks.
I suggest waiting until fall update letter time, and mentioning your course correction then (where such letters are allowed) even if you've had a chance to bring it up at interviews in the meantime.

Is it possible to list a more objective witness to your hours of involvement, like an office manager, receptionist, or nurse? Do what you can.
I could ask my dad's other secretary.and she loves me so she would do it

Status
Not open for further replies.