*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could ask my dad's other secretary.and she loves me so she would do it
Recall that the Contact is not meant to giver a reference, just to attest to dates and hours of employment.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm not sure if these have already been answered, but I wanted to clarify a few things.

I am a non-traditional applicant interested in the MD/PhD program

1) for the volunteering description box, can we list in bullet point format what our responsibilities were? kind of like this
- visited patients, delivered flowers
- relayed info to the Program director...etc?

2) Physician Shadowing: I shadowed two physicians at two different cities (same state), do they need to be listed as two separate activities? what can be written for the description here? I think it's pretty self explanatory.

3) I was involved with several organizations, but for one, I served on the Executive Board for 4 years (going from different position - Webdesigner, Volunteer Coordinator, then finally a President) and while serving on the board, I participated in all volunteering activities (organized and ran them). Should this go under the "Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere" and should I list my titles in the description? Or should this go under the "Community Service - nonmedical"?

4) awards/honors. In the description, do we describe what the award is or what we were involved with in order to get it? If I received two annual awards (one in 2012 and one in 2013), do I list them separately or just mention in the description box that I got one in 2012 and another in 2013?

5) What is the experience name and date for publications? I have 7 total publications (years 2012-2015), should I listed the most recent ones since there is no space to cite all of them?

6) I presented at annual national and local conferences (total 9), what can I put for the "Experience Name" and "Organization Name" as they are all from at least 5 different conferences and different states?

thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to clarify a few things. I am a non-traditional applicant interested in the MD/PhD program

1) for the volunteering description box, can we list in bullet point format what our responsibilities were? kind of like this
- visited patients, delivered flowers
- relayed info to the Program director...etc?

2) Physician Shadowing: I shadowed two physicians at two different cities (same state), do they need to be listed as two separate activities? what can be written for the description here? I think it's pretty self explanatory.

3) I was involved with several organizations, but for one, I served on the Executive Board for 4 years (going from different position - Webdesigner, Volunteer Coordinator, then finally a President) and while serving on the board, I participated in all volunteering activities (organized and ran them). Should this go under the "Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere" and should I list my titles in the description? Or should this go under the "Community Service - nonmedical"?

4) awards/honors. a) In the description, do we describe what the award is or what we were involved with in order to get it? b) If I received two annual awards (one in 2012 and one in 2013), do I list them separately or just mention in the description box that I got one in 2012 and another in 2013?

5) What is the experience name and date for publications? I have 7 total publications (years 2012-2015), should I listed the most recent ones since there is no space to cite all of them?

6) I presented at annual national and local conferences (total 9), what can I put for the "Experience Name" and "Organization Name" as they are all from at least 5 different conferences and different states?
1) Yes. Either bullet or narrative formats can be used.

2) Most will group them. See an example on page 8, post #359.

3) Consider splitting this into two categories, since both Leadership and Community Service are important, but don't double count the hours. Titles could be put in the Name space if they fit, but since you'll want to enter dates for each with their duties in the narrative, why not use an all inclusive title instead, like Leadership Roles in XXXX Club.

4a) Only if it isn't well known or intuitive. b) The latter option.

5) Name of Publication Space: page 16 #796
Date is the date of the Journal it appeared in.
Cite them all. Here is an example of a highly condensed format if you don't want to use two spaces: page 2 #56.
Also see post #3, item 20, in case any of the nuances apply to you. Post #2 has some general FAQ that might help you too.

6) If you published some of this data, you may not need to list them all, per guidelines in post #3. And local (campus) presentations can be omitted if they don't fit in the affiliated research space. Organization name will only apply to the first conference sponsor on the narrative list; the rest will be mentioned in your narrative. The title of the space should apply to all its contents: perhaps National Presentations and Regional Presentations could apply to two spaces. or something like, Presentations Related to Projects in the Smith Lab.

Reactions: 1 user
If I am grouping all my awards together, how do I go about writing it? What should I write for experience name? Also, since I am listing all the awards I have received over the past three years, what do I put in for date?

1)If I am grouping all my awards together, how do I go about writing it?
2) What should I write for experience name?
3) Also, since I am listing all the awards I have received over the past three years, what do I put in for date?
1) A bullet-point like style (using dashes or stars, perhaps) would work well, listing the date, award name, and if necessary an explanation or suggestion of how competitive it is.
2) Collegiate Recognitions (if we're talking about the college years)
3) The date you got the last one, or a graduation date.

1) A bullet-point like style (using dashes or stars, perhaps) would work well, listing the date, award name, and if necessary an explanation or suggestion of how competitive it is.
2) Collegiate Recognitions (if we're talking about the college years)
3) The date you got the last one, or a graduation date.

Thanks! Also, I was thinking of copying and pasting the description of the scholarship from my college website. Do I have to cite them? If so, what format?

Can a research project I did for a class, and wrote a paper on that was not published be considered research?

Can a research project I did for a class, and wrote a paper on that was not published be considered research?
If it was an original hypothesis-driven, scholarly investigation that added new knowledge and was potentially publishable, then yes. If you are talking about a term paper or thesis that reviewed others' work, then no. Sometimes the latter can be considered a project, instead of original Research, and can be included on the application under the "Other" designation if you feel it is substantial and adds to your candidacy.

How screwed am I if I listed 6 work activities/experiences total?

It's really all I had without adding in any stupid fluff. I'm sort of just banking on stats here with a 3.85cGPA/sGPA and a 516 (95th %).

How screwed am I if I listed 6 work activities/experiences total?

It's really all I had without adding in any stupid fluff. I'm sort of just banking on stats here with a 3.85cGPA/sGPA and a 516 (95th %).
If your listed experiences were sufficiently meaty, with decent longevity, well-described, cover the usual expectations, and speak to the mission statement of each school to which you applied, I expect you'll be fine.

Hi!
I read the FAQ posts but not every page of this thread, so I'm sorry if similar questions have already been answered..

1. I have been in a sorority for two years and this year I have an officer position. Should I list my general membership and officer position as separate experiences or together? If I put them together, what category should I put them under?
-1b. I had another thought while I was typing: I was also chosen to be a recruitment counselor, so I have been disaffiliated from my chapter since May and will re-affiliate next week. Would it be a good idea to put this and my general membership under the same experience, maybe with the title "Greek Life Involvement"?
-1c. As an officer, I attended a regional leadership conference. Would it be better to enter the conference as a separate experience or mention it in the description of my officer position?

2. I've volunteered with special needs children and adults at two different organizations (one was only freshman year and the other is ongoing). Would it be okay to group these together into one experience?

3. I volunteered in the children's ministry at my home church from middle school through the summer after my freshman year of college. This was a huge part of my life, so would it be okay to include? There was about a 2 month gap during my junior year of high school, after which I switched to a different age group (from school age to nursery/preschool). Would it be better to list the experience as starting after that gap and leave out the years prior?

4. I was on the Executive Committee as the Luminaria Chair for my school's Relay for Life. What would be a good way to enter the experience name and organization so that it's clear but not repetitive?

5. Is it okay to list shadowing that I did in high school, and if so, can I group it with the rest of my shadowing? I mainly ask because I didn't shadow anyone in that specialty while in college, so I think it may be good to add that variety.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
1. I have been in a sorority for two years and this year I have an officer position. Should I list my general membership and officer position as separate experiences or together? If I put them together, what category should I put them under?
-1b. I had another thought while I was typing: I was also chosen to be a recruitment counselor, so I have been disaffiliated from my chapter since May and will re-affiliate next week. Would it be a good idea to put this and my general membership under the same experience, maybe with the title "Greek Life Involvement"?
-1c. As an officer, I attended a regional leadership conference. Would it be better to enter the conference as a separate experience or mention it in the description of my officer position?

2. I've volunteered with special needs children and adults at two different organizations (one was only freshman year and the other is ongoing). Would it be okay to group these together into one experience?

3. I volunteered in the children's ministry at my home church from middle school through the summer after my freshman year of college. This was a huge part of my life, so would it be okay to include? There was about a 2 month gap during my junior year of high school, after which I switched to a different age group (from school age to nursery/preschool). Would it be better to list the experience as starting after that gap and leave out the years prior?

4. I was on the Executive Committee as the Luminaria Chair for my school's Relay for Life. What would be a good way to enter the experience name and organization so that it's clear but not repetitive?

5. Is it okay to list shadowing that I did in high school, and if so, can I group it with the rest of my shadowing? I mainly ask because I didn't shadow anyone in that specialty while in college, so I think it may be good to add that variety.
1) I don't see general membership as strengthening your application. Why not just designate a Leadership space, name it Greek Life Leadership Role, and emphasize that component of the sorority involvement. At the end, you can mention the yet-to-begin Recruitment Counselor Position for which you've been selected with its planned dates. Attending a leadership conference carries little weight. Using the tenets learned while in a leadership position gives you the opportunity to mention the conference in the body of your Leadership description if you have the space.

2) Yes, but each appears lengthy enough to have their own space if you can fit both in.

3) It's fine to include this activity. I agree with the Start Date being after the gap in time, or from the beginning of college, but in the body of the description, feel free to mention the earlier involvement, if you like.

4) The experience name can be your title. The Organization is Relay for Life.

5) I suggest you add an addendum at the end of the Shadowing space, something like, "Not included in the Total Hours are an additional XX hours of shadowing with Dr Yyy, specialty name, completed during my high school years." Alternatively, you can mention this in the PS as part of your path to medicine.

1) I don't see general membership as strengthening your application. Why not just designate a Leadership space, name it Greek Life Leadership Role, and emphasize that component of the sorority involvement. At the end, you can mention the yet-to-begin Recruitment Counselor Position for which you've been selected with its planned dates. Attending a leadership conference carries little weight. Using the tenets learned while in a leadership position gives you the opportunity to mention the conference in the body of your Leadership description if you have the space.

2) Yes, but each appears lengthy enough to have their own space if you can fit both in.

3) It's fine to include this activity. I agree with the Start Date being after the gap in time, or from the beginning of college, but in the body of the description, feel free to mention the earlier involvement, if you like.

4) The experience name can be your title. The Organization is Relay for Life.

5) I suggest you add an addendum at the end of the Shadowing space, something like, "Not included in the Total Hours are an additional XX hours of shadowing with Dr Yyy, specialty name, completed during my high school years." Alternatively, you can mention this in the PS as part of your path to medicine.
That's very helpful! Thank you so much!

I have generally used the description space to describe my activities in bullet points. However, I am having difficulty using bullet points for my research description as it involves collaborative research with other lab. Thus, I definitely need to use first person to describe it well. Is it okay if the way I describe my research is different from other activities?

I have generally used the description space to describe my activities in bullet points. However, I am having difficulty using bullet points for my research description as it involves collaborative research with other lab. Thus, I definitely need to use first person to describe it well. Is it okay if the way I describe my research is different from other activities?
It's no problem to mix or match descriptive styles to better get your important points across.

Can anyone shed some light on how volunteer clinical research should be listed on an application? Should I double-count things? Not double count?

Thanks!

Can anyone shed some light on how volunteer clinical research should be listed on an application? Should I double-count things? Not double count?
For AMCAS, you should not double (or triple) count/enter an activity, as is encouraged with the TMDSAS (Texas) system, unless they can be completely separated, each with its own hours. To call attention to the fact that this activity covers more than one desirable category, you would probably list it under the Research category, but be sure that the Name you give the activity reflects the patient contact that the activity involves (and maybe the nature of the research, as well, so some idea of the clinical exposure is apparent on first glance). You can mention the volunteer component in the title or narrative if you can do so gracefully, but that will already be obvious if you don't have research credit on your transcript during those dates and didn't mention employment anywhere in the space or title.

Last edited:
I have not read every page of this thread so I apologize if a similar question has been asked. I was a cheerleader for 16 years, and I was captain of my team in high school and in college. My questions are:
1. Should I list this experience as Leadership or just Extracurriculars (and put in the description that I was captain)?
2. How would I input 16 years' worth of hours for this? Or should I just list my time that I spent on my collegiate team?

I have not read every page of this thread so I apologize if a similar question has been asked. I was a cheerleader for 16 years, and I was captain of my team in high school and in college. My questions are:
1. Should I list this experience as Leadership or just Extracurriculars (and put in the description that I was captain)?
2. How would I input 16 years' worth of hours for this? Or should I just list my time that I spent on my collegiate team?
1) If you want to use one space only, I'd suggest listing it under Leadership, inserting the inclusive dates for the leadership roles alone, titling the activity Cheerleading Captain in High School and College or somesuch, using the Repeated feature if there was a gap in time between the two leadership roles, and mentioning the full years of involvement as a cheerleader in the narrative.

Or better, if you have the space, you can split the activity into the two components (EC and Leadership) in their own spaces so you can have more room for description. If you choose to list all the years of Extracurricular membership as a general squad member, you might use Repeated to divide it into Pre-HS, HS, and College so you can break the hours down better.

2) Including only the college years is a third (common) choice, but again, mention the back story in the narrative.

You are welcome to make a best-faith effort to list all your estimated hours for practice and game presence. Complete accuracy isn't essential, though. You might prefer to use 999 or 9999 to clue in that the true number is unknowable.

You might also elect to use a Most Meaningful designation so there is room for more description.

1) If you want to use one space only, I'd suggest listing it under Leadership, inserting the inclusive dates for the leadership roles alone, titling the activity Cheerleading Captain in High School and College or somesuch, using the Repeated feature if there was a gap in time between the two leadership roles, and mentioning the full years of involvement as a cheerleader in the narrative.

Or better, if you have the space, you can split the activity into the two components (EC and Leadership) in their own spaces so you can have more room for description. If you choose to list all the years of Extracurricular membership as a general squad member, you might use Repeated to divide it into Pre-HS, HS, and College so you can break the hours down better.

2) Including only the college years is a third (common) choice, but again, mention the back story in the narrative.

You are welcome to make a best-faith effort to list all your estimated hours for practice and game presence. Complete accuracy isn't essential, though. You might prefer to use 999 or 9999 to clue in that the true number is unknowable.

You might also elect to use a Most Meaningful designation so there is room for more description.

thank you so much for your advice!

I am adding my "physician shadowing" experiences and have three, one in Sept 2014, one from Jan 2015-Mar 2015 and one in April 2015. I am going to group them, but how do I sort out the start and end date and total hours in the above required spaces?

I am adding my "physician shadowing" experiences and have three, one in Sept 2014, one from Jan 2015-Mar 2015 and one in April 2015. I am going to group them, but how do I sort out the start and end date and total hours in the above required spaces?
One potential format for listing physician shadowing on an AMCAS application (whichever doc you list first, you'd put the pertinent data in the header and omit it from the narrative box. Total Hours box would be all the hours added together):

**4/2015-5/2015: 15 hours, Jake Famleedok, MD, Family Practice. [email protected] This was mostly clinic time, but I got to observe a vaginal delivery, too. I cut the cord!

**3/14-5/2014: 20 hours, Ling Ula, MD, Pulmonology, Podunk, AL, Health Clinic, 555-555-5556

** 12/2013-3/2014: 40 hours, Al Abowtgolf, DO, Sports Medicine, Podunk, AL, Health Clinic, 555-555-5555

**Spring 2012: 15 hours, John Kutoocure, DO, Surgeon, Meridian, MS. [email protected] Observed a complete bowel resection and a pancreatic cancer resection. Some clinic hours included.

-If the Contact is not the physician, you'll need to add that person's name, too.
-If two or more took place at one location, you might list them at the top and have the header Organization apply to both.
-If you have many, many docs, you can list the main ones at the top and later summarize others in a way that fits in the remaining space, like "Also shadowed a rheumatologist, neonatologist, and neurosurgeon for 20 more hours combined" without giving contacts and locations.

One potential format for listing physician shadowing on an AMCAS application (whichever doc you list first, you'd put the pertinent data in the header and omit it from the narrative box. Total Hours box would be all the hours added together):

**4/2015-5/2015: 15 hours, Jake Famleedok, MD, Family Practice. [email protected] This was mostly clinic time, but I got to observe a vaginal delivery, too. I cut the cord!

**3/14-5/2014: 20 hours, Ling Ula, MD, Pulmonology, Podunk, AL, Health Clinic, 555-555-5556

** 12/2013-3/2014: 40 hours, Al Abowtgolf, DO, Sports Medicine, Podunk, AL, Health Clinic, 555-555-5555

**Spring 2012: 15 hours, John Kutoocure, DO, Surgeon, Meridian, MS. [email protected] Observed a complete bowel resection and a pancreatic cancer resection. Some clinic hours included.

-If the Contact is not the physician, you'll need to add that person's name, too.
-If two or more took place at one location, you might list them at the top and have the header Organization apply to both.
-If you have many, many docs, you can list the main ones at the top and later summarize others in a way that fits in the remaining space, like "Also shadowed a rheumatologist, neonatologist, and neurosurgeon for 20 more hours combined" without giving contacts and locations.
Thank you, how about the main start and end date? Can I put Sept 2014- April 2015 and further describe the dates in the description for each physician?

College only unless its something you started before and continued through college.

If you want to convey you'll continue to participate in an activity that you are currently engaged in (keeping in mind that you won't be judged by future plans that could fall through), these are my suggestions:

1) Use the Repeated feature to separate the Completed vs Future hours. This works if June 2015 is both your End Date for the Completed Hours and your Start Date for the future hours (you won't be permitted to enter and save a future start date that hasn't happened yet). Put the appropriate total in each Total Hours box. Include a conservative, in-good-faith guess on future hours for the second Total Hours box.

2) Or, only list the Completed Hours in the Total Hours box using the appropriate Start and End Dates, then in the narrative box state that you plan to continue this activity from June 2015-May 2016 (or whenever) with XX probable additional hours "not included above".

3) Or, do the same as in #2, but don't state anticipated Future hours, especially if there is any possibility they might not be completed. Just make a statement that you intend to continue with the activity for another X months.

My pre-med advisor gave us the advice to enter 2 different date ranges for past and future, and enter zero hours for future to stay conservative while still indicating that it is a continued activity.

Might this give the impression that I don't plan to complete a similar number of hours in the future? I'm worried about that. Would you recommend indicating hours continued/planned in my secondary applications to clarify this?

Thanks!

My pre-med advisor gave us the advice to enter 2 different date ranges for past and future, and enter zero hours for future to stay conservative while still indicating that it is a continued activity.

Might this give the impression that I don't plan to complete a similar number of hours in the future? I'm worried about that. Would you recommend indicating hours continued/planned in my secondary applications to clarify this?

Thanks!
I agree with your concern of entering a zero for future intended Total Hours, without an explanation, as it could have variable interpretations. Countering a potential negative perception, if you want to go with her plan, could be accomplished with a hybrid approach on the Primary application, where you'd do as she suggested but then in the narrative enter your intended number of future hours (or a span of possibilities) with an explanation.

I agree with your concern of entering a zero for future intended Total Hours, without an explanation, as it could have variable interpretations. Countering a potential negative perception, if you want to go with her plan, could be accomplished with a hybrid approach on the Primary application, where you'd do as she suggested but then in the narrative enter your intended number of future hours (or a span of possibilities) with an explanation.
Thank you for your reply! I have already been verified, but am still filling out Secondaries. Would you recommend clarifying in the nearly ubiquitous "more info" box?
Thank you.

I have already been verified, but am still filling out Secondaries. Would you recommend clarifying in the nearly ubiquitous "more info" box?
It would be reasonable and desirable to use that space for updated hours of involvement on the previously planned/recently completed activities, since the other option presented is no longer feasible.

I'm not applying this year, but I've been wondering about this...I'm an LPN. I'm going to work as a nurse some during undergrad to have paid clinical experience. However, I'm not sure how to list things I did in nursing school.

First, in nursing school I did 650 hours of clinical rotations, which involved a mix of different clinical experiences. How would I list this clinical experience?

I was also valedictorian and graduated with Highest Honors. None of my nursing school classes will appear on my transcripts because this was through a career center, not a college, and therefor are not college classes. So would this be worth mentioning in academic honors section? I just don't know how adcoms feel about career centers.

I'm not applying this year, but I've been wondering about this...I'm an LPN. I'm going to work as a nurse some during undergrad to have paid clinical experience. However, I'm not sure how to list things I did in nursing school.

1) First, in nursing school I did 650 hours of clinical rotations, which involved a mix of different clinical experiences. How would I list this clinical experience?

2) I was also valedictorian and graduated with Highest Honors. None of my nursing school classes will appear on my transcripts because this was through a career center, not a college, and therefor are not college classes. So would this be worth mentioning in academic honors section? I just don't know how adcoms feel about career centers.
1) Use the "Other" designation. Include a comment about the reason why your nursing clinicals don't show up on your transcript and a succinct description of the types of rotations you did and your duties. There is no need to elaborate, as most adcomms will have a fair idea of what nursing training entails.

2) Yes, you can mention it and probably should as there will be no grades associated with your LPN to otherwise indicate your related academic achievement.

Last edited:
I have a quick question. If I start an activity late May, is it even worth it for me to list it on my application in June?

I have a quick question. If I start an activity late May, is it even worth it for me to list it on my application in June?
I would need more information to answer the question. Would you have no other listing in that category? What is the category? What is the activity? How many of the spaces are already filled? How long would you continue to engage in the activity in the future and how many hours would be completed at the time of submission?

Yessir! Thank you!

I would have no other listing in that category, it's nonmedical volunteering.

I will be helping Latino immigrants with their English. This would fit in really well with the rest of my app since I've been doing similar things as well (but in clinical settings).

I will be applying this upcoming June so I haven't filled out AMCAS. (Maybe I'm in the wrong thread.. Sorry. :( just couldn't find the 2016-17 one or it doesn't exist yet.) But if I had to guesstimate, I'd say I'll have like 10 spaces filled, including clinical volunteering, research, shadowing, and leadership.

I plan to start that activity in late May and continue through December. I will have completed less than 5 hours or so at the time of submission /: but I will write May 2015 - present, obviously, to make it clear that I just started but still engaged in it.

Thanks again!

I would have no other listing in that category, it's nonmedical volunteering.

I will be helping Latino immigrants with their English. This would fit in really well with the rest of my app since I've been doing similar things as well (but in clinical settings).

I will be applying this upcoming June so I haven't filled out AMCAS. (Maybe I'm in the wrong thread.. Sorry. :( just couldn't find the 2016-17 one or it doesn't exist yet.) But if I had to guesstimate, I'd say I'll have like 10 spaces filled, including clinical volunteering, research, shadowing, and leadership.

I plan to start that activity in late May and continue through December. I will have completed less than 5 hours or so at the time of submission /: but I will write May 2015 - present, obviously, to make it clear that I just started but still engaged in it.
You are in the most appropriate thread to ask your question, as next season's Tips won't begin until April/May or so. Also, the application for the 2016-2017 application year doesn't become available until early May 2016.

If you are sure you will carry through with the activity, I think you'd be OK to list it. It won't help you, but it won't hurt you either. It would be important for you to update the activity when given an opportunity on Secondary prompts or in update letters, where allowed.

Experience types have been:

Artistic Endeavors
Community Service/Volunteer - Medical/Clinical
Community Service/Volunteer - Non Medical/Clinical
Conferences Attended
Extracurricular Activities
Hobbies
Honors/Award/Recognition
Intercollegiate Athletics
Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere
Military Service
Other
Paid Employment - Medical/Clinical
Paid Employment - Non Medical/Clinical
Physician Shadowing/Clinical Observation
Presentations/Posters
Publications
Research/Lab
Teaching/Tutoring/Teaching Assistant

• Applicants can enter up to four separate date ranges.
  • Applicants can enter future end dates up to the start of the matriculation year (up to August 2017).
  • Applicants will specify the total hours spent on this activity for each date range.

Does that mean I can count future hours?

Thank you very much for your help!

Does that mean I can count future hours?
If you want to include the hours of a future activity that you are already engaged in, you can consider these options:

1) Use the Repeated feature to separate the Completed vs Future hours. This works if May 2016 is both your End Date for the Completed Hours and your Start Date for the future hours (you won't be permitted to enter and save a future start date that hasn't happened yet, but if you wait until June to complete the box, you can use June 2016 as the start date for the future hours). Put the appropriate total in each Total Hours box. Include a conservative, in-good-faith guess on future hours for the second Total Hours box.

2) Or, only list the Completed Hours in the Total Hours box using the appropriate Start and End Dates, then in the narrative box state that you plan to continue this activity from June 2016-December 2016 with a probable additional xx (or whatever) hours.

3) Or, do the same as in #2, but don't state anticipated Future hours, especially if there is any possibility they might not be completed. Just make a statement that you intend to continue with the activity for another X months fpr Y hours per week.

Perfect!! Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

I know it's early to ask about things for next season's app, but I hope this question hasn't been answered so I can think about it. I had an internship in public health that was paid full time in the summer, but included outside community service hours (outreach), and then was voluntary, 8 hours/week during the fall. How do I categorize this? Should I split up the volunteer section or just write it in the description?

Thank you

I know it's early to ask about things for next season's app, but I hope this question hasn't been answered so I can think about it. I had an internship in public health that was paid full time in the summer, but included outside community service hours (outreach), and then was voluntary, 8 hours/week during the fall. How do I categorize this? Should I split up the volunteer section or just write it in the description?

Thank you
It sounds like the public service was substantial enough to stand on its own, so splitting it out (taking care not to double count the summer hours) would work fine. Put it under Community Service.

The Internship could be listed under Other if the pay was a nontaxed stipend, or Employment if the pay was a salary and taxes were taken out.

It sounds like the public service was substantial enough to stand on its own, so splitting it out (taking care not to double count the summer hours) would work fine. Put it under Community Service.

The Internship could be listed under Other if the pay was a nontaxed stipend, or Employment if the pay was a salary and taxes were taken out.
Okay, thanks. The paid part was employment... so I should include the 8 hours/week the following semester as Community Service?
Thanks again

Post UG I was a manager with a large retailer. Supervised 60ish people and was in charge of guest services (customer service). Worked 50 hrs a week and did that for 15 months before I got into healthcare- should I consider that 3.2k hours in a leadership role? Or is that too over the top? (I just recently realized that my management job would account for leadership experience).

Okay, thanks. The paid part was employment... so I should include the 8 hours/week the following semester as Community Service?
Thanks again
Even though the paid Outreach was salaried, unlike the purely voluntary work you did the following semester, an argument could be made that it was still a Community Service. Thus my suggestion to keep both together. Your description can differentiate the difference (part of internship with hours of involvement not previously listed vs unpaid volunteerism) between the two time spans.

Alternatively, if you prefer, you could list the 8 hours/week purely voluntary experience on its own, and leave the paid portion with the Internship.

Post UG I was a manager with a large retailer. Supervised 60ish people and was in charge of guest services (customer service). Worked 50 hrs a week and did that for 15 months before I got into healthcare- should I consider that 3.2k hours in a leadership role? Or is that too over the top? (I just recently realized that my management job would account for leadership experience).
List it as Leadership, but make the Employment aspect clear in the name you give to the Experience. I'd think you'd definitely want to highlight this aspect of your background unless you have something stronger for that category.

List it as Leadership, but make the Employment aspect clear in the name you give to the Experience. I'd think you'd definitely want to highlight this aspect of your background unless you have something stronger for that category.

Also have 400 hours of coaching basketball for Nike and some prominent college programs (played basketball in college). As well as (by the time I apply) roughly 5-6k in clinical hours for hospice (my current position). So there's a bit to pull from for all of those

Status
Not open for further replies.