*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For ongoing activities, should I include projected hours in the "Total hours" box?

I already separated the two in the decription text box on the bottom.
I suggest that you use the Repeated feature so the completed Total Hours and the Future Total Hours are separated (this will work if you use May 2016 for the last date of the first date span and the first date of the second date span). Alternatively, you could mention the future projected hours in the narrative, but not include them in a stand-alone Total Hours box.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I want to include my engineering project that was published in an engineering design magazine. Since this is not a traditional publication, should I put this under other?

Does anyone know if it is okay to write abbreviations for hours?

Example: "Worked full time at ABC Hospital as a CNA for 40h/w" ... or 40 h/week... or 40 w.s. (the actual/proper abbreviation) .... or does it have to be "40 hours per week"?

------

Basically, do adcoms read these with a red pen and look for any "improper" instances of the English language, or is it just fine to save space with abbreviations?
Don't use an abbreviation that isn't universally understood unless you define it first, like Principal Investigator (PI).

40hr/wk is OK to use.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to include my engineering project that was published in an engineering design magazine. Since this is not a traditional publication, should I put this under other?
Did you start with a problem to solve, group-think to come up with possible solutions, test solutions until one worked, then refined it, and came up with a final product: then if you're an author and it's not a campus magazine, it's OK to use a Publications space. Otherwise you could mention it in the same space where you discuss the project (Other is usually used for engineering project descriptions), use Other and name it XXX Publication in YYY Journal (or some such), or use Artistic Endeavors (if you wrote the paper personally), or use Teaching, if your aim was to educate. If I haven't covered your scenario, feel free to refine your question.

I posted previously on a compromise solution, halfway between the example in the FAQ and gonnif's solution. See page 2, post #58.

Since you already have plenty of shadowing hours, I would not include the future hours, so you have something fresh to mention on Secondaries and update letters.

Thanks so much @Catalystik and @gonnif for your help! When I took off the future hours and hospital names, I have room to include most of the other info and a short blurb for each. How does this look? Should I include more info?

General Internal Medicine:

NAME, MD
Email
2/2016-6/2016
20 hrs
Observed weekly evening clinic.

NAME, MD
Email
3/2016-6/2016
20 hours
Observed urgent care and regular clinic.

Neurosurgery:

NAME, MD
Email
5/2016 - 6/2016
8 hrs
Observed clinic visits and hospital consults.

Gastroenterology:

NAME, MD
Email
5/2016 - 6/2016
8 hrs
Observed endoscopy and clinic.

Pediatrics:

NAME, MD
Email
1/2014
5 hrs
Observed clinic and parent pediatrician interview.

Last edited:
Did you start with a problem to solve, group-think to come up with possible solutions, test solutions until one worked, then refined it, and came up with a final product: then if you're an author and it's not a campus magazine, it's OK to use a Publications space. Otherwise you could mention it in the same space where you discuss the project (Other is usually used for engineering project descriptions), use Other and name it XXX Publication in YYY Journal (or some such), or use Artistic Endeavors (if you wrote the paper personally), or use Teaching, if your aim was to educate. If I haven't covered your scenario, feel free to refine your question.

Yes, you covered everything, thanks!

I have one more question. In my post bacc, I took a "class" that required you to perform research, write a lit review, and present it at the end of the semester. Can (should) I list this as research even though I received credits for it?

Thanks so much @Catalystik and @gonnif for your help! When I took off the future hours and hospital names, I have room to include most of the other info and a short blurb for each. How does this look? Should I include more info?

General Internal Medicine:

NAME, MD
Email
3/2016-6/2016
20 hrs
Observed weekly evening clinic.

NAME, MD
Email
3/2016-6/2016
20 hours
Observed urgent care and regular clinic.

Neurosurgery:

NAME, MD
Email
4/2016 - 6/2016
8 hrs
Observed clinic visits and hospital consults.

Gastroenterology:

NAME, MD
Email
5/2016 - 6/2016
8 hrs
Observed endoscopy and clinic.

Pediatrics:

NAME, MD
Email
1/2014
5 hrs
Observed clinic and parent pediatrician interview.
Dates could be abbreviated to 5/16-6/16, 1/14, and such, to save a few more characters. Add # of endoscopies. Didn't anything else exciting happen at a site that you could add? It's sorta vanilla the way it is.

I have one more question. In my post bacc, I took a "class" that required you to perform research, write a lit review, and present it at the end of the semester. Can (should) I list this as research even though I received credits for it?
If by "research" you mean something like a term paper or topic review that wasn't a hypothesis-based, scholarly discovery of new information, then no.

For things where we received awards (ie fellowship/dean list), is it important to fill out the 700 character word limit, or can we simply state a sentence or two regarding the significance?
**and poster presentation!

If by "research" you mean something like a term paper or topic review that wasn't a hypothesis-based, scholarly discovery of new information, then no.

Ok awesome, that's what I thought too, but I had someone else tell me the opposite. Just wanted confirmation. Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be acceptable to list all of non-clinical stuff in 1 space and call it Community Service, then list/brief describe each one? The dates I would put as repeating and just put the dates for each one on there?

I'm running tight on room. Otherwise, I can just remove my hobbies, including intramural sports, but I feel like that would not let me present myself as well-rounded.

I have one more activity that I can list in AMCAS and am debating between hobbies and awards/honors. My hobbies would highlight some of the music and arts I've done for over a decade and continued in college. If I were to choose awards/honors, I would list one award given to the junior with the best academic record in their major and competitive funding I've received for research. Are university-level awards/honors given much weight? I feel like including hobbies would give me a more rounded application, but don't want to undermine myself by saying that I've never received any academic recognition.

Would it be acceptable to list all of non-clinical stuff in 1 space and call it Community Service, then list/brief describe each one? The dates I would put as repeating and just put the dates for each one on there?

I'm running tight on room. Otherwise, I can just remove my hobbies, including intramural sports, but I feel like that would not let me present myself as well-rounded.
Grouping the nonmedical community service is fine, but think of a better name that doesn't echo the tag you'll give the space.

I have one more activity that I can list in AMCAS and am debating between hobbies and awards/honors. My hobbies would highlight some of the music and arts I've done for over a decade and continued in college. If I were to choose awards/honors, I would list one award given to the junior with the best academic record in their major and competitive funding I've received for research. Are university-level awards/honors given much weight? I feel like including hobbies would give me a more rounded application, but don't want to undermine myself by saying that I've never received any academic recognition.
Considering your topics, your Hobbies suggest qualities desirable in a physician, so will help you more. Mention the funding in a Research space. Your transcript already speaks to your academic excellence.

Related to this, I took a research methods course for my psychology major that required a semester long research project. Before reading this thread I had not even considered including this on my activities list. In small groups, we designed and executed an experiment, conducted all the statistical analysis (as our study had multiple independent variables, this was actually quite complicated!), and wrote a report of our findings. Should I consider describing this? I only have a little research experience to list and I do have an additional slot I could fill, but I don't know how relevant this would be.

Related to this, I took a research methods course for my psychology major that required a semester long research project. Before reading this thread I had not even considered including this on my activities list. In small groups, we designed and executed an experiment, conducted all the statistical analysis (as our study had multiple independent variables, this was actually quite complicated!), and wrote a report of our findings. Should I consider describing this? I only have a little research experience to list and I do have an additional slot I could fill, but I don't know how relevant this would be.
If you had a stronger research activity, I wouldn't use it, but in your case, provided you used the scientific method (asking an original question, rather than repeating someone else's experiment), drew a conclusion that resulted in new knowledge, and wrote a potentially publishable manuscript, then you may enter it.

Hi everyone, thanks for making this thread. It has helped me a lot for my application!

Would it be appropriate to discuss under my MM research experience why I don't want to pursue a PhD? Like there's no patient interaction, sometimes takes forever to do an experiment, not a fan of writing, etc. Or should I focus on the positives like what I learned/why it's important to medicine?

Thank you!

Would it be appropriate to discuss under my MM research experience why I don't want to pursue a PhD? Like there's no patient interaction, sometimes takes forever to do an experiment, not a fan of writing, etc. Or should I focus on the positives like what I learned/why it's important to medicine?
Focus on positives. Elsewhere, perhaps in an active clinical experience space, you might talk about how much you enjoy patient interaction, creating a plan for investigation of symptoms, and learning quickly the answers to patient mysteries.

But if you're not a fan of writing, you're in trouble, because you'll need to record detailed summations of every patient encounter: history, exam, labs, differential diagnosis, and further workup +/- treatment plan.

If you had a stronger research activity, I wouldn't use it, but in your case, provided you used the scientific method (asking an original question, rather than repeating someone else's experiment), drew a conclusion that resulted in new knowledge, and wrote a potentially publishable manuscript, then you may enter it.
So I also have 1 semester as a research assistant listed and over a year as a research coordinator, but that was my only experience designing my own experiment. Do you think it would be worth including?

So I also have 1 semester as a research assistant listed and over a year as a research coordinator, but that was my only experience designing my own experiment. Do you think it would be worth including?
If you aiming for highly-selective, research-oriented top schools, then yes, include it. Otherwise, I think you're covered.

Why did you say, "I only have a little research experience to list?" A year is about the average for all applicants.

Focus on positives. Elsewhere, perhaps in an active clinical experience space, you might talk about how much you enjoy patient interaction, creating a plan for investigation of symptoms, and learning quickly the answers to patient mysteries.

But if you're not a fan of writing, you're in trouble, because you'll need to record detailed summations of every patient encounter: history, exam, labs, differential diagnosis, and further workup +/- treatment plan.

Thank you! Ah, I should have been more specific. I'm not a fan of writing grant proposals and long research papers. I've been scribing for over a year now and definitely know about recording everything in a chart, no worries there! Thanks again!

Hi!! I tutor math and science at an inner city school. I wonder what tag would work better - non clinical volunteering or teaching? Thank you!

I am unfortunately having a lot of trouble fitting in my activities within the 15 allotted spaces on AMCAS and have been trying to strategically group as many ECs as possible. I have a number of experiences all related to undergraduate research. Would you recommend grouping some of these together, or taking out some others to make room for these if I am applying to select MD/PhD programs?

Last edited:
If you aiming for highly-selective, research-oriented top schools, then yes, include it. Otherwise, I think you're covered.

Why did you say, "I only have a little research experience to list?" A year is about the average for all applicants.

Sorry I didn't mean to be misleading! I didn't think being a research coordinator really counted as true research because I did not design the experiment myself. I'm actually listing it as clinical employment rather than research on my list. When I was a research assistant for 6 months, I was mostly doing wet lab work as well so I wasn't working on my own projects.

I am applying to many highly selective schools so I suppose it probably would be best if I listed it. Can I just use one of my fellow group members as the contact?

Thank you so much for all your help!

I am unfortunately having a lot of trouble fitting in my activities within the 15 allotted spaces on AMCAS and have been trying to strategically group as many ECs as possible. I have a number of experiences all related to promoting undergraduate research and creating related campus opportunities and was wondering which ones you might suggest isolating vs. grouping. I am already at 15 activities without mentioning any of these, so this is proving to be quite a challenge.

They are:

Serving as
1.Editor-in-Chief (and ME and RE) of a multidisciplinary research journal
2.Exec board member of an international science research journal
3.President of university's undergraduate research association
4.Student rep on faculty advisory committees related to research (x4)
5.Primary organizer of university's annual research symposium (which I expanded to a state-wide conference)
6.Student organizer for an international research conference (brought it to my school)
7.Co-founder of a national research organization that serves as a resource for students
As you are applying MD/PhD, getting these into your application somehow would be highly important. They could all go into one Leadership space, just as you've written them, but you have to decide what other activity to remove or group with something else. If nothing will budge, what about inserting them into your MD/PhD research-related essay?

I didn't think being a research coordinator really counted as true research because I did not design the experiment myself. I'm actually listing it as clinical employment rather than research on my list. When I was a research assistant for 6 months, I was mostly doing wet lab work as well so I wasn't working on my own projects.

I am applying to many highly selective schools so I suppose it probably would be best if I listed it. Can I just use one of my fellow group members as the contact?
First response: Unless you are really weak in clinical, if you feel you have a legitimate shot at the top name-brand research schools, you would be better served to list this under Research, making the clinical and leadership components clear from the name you give the space.

Second Response: The course faculty or the department head would be a better choice, to legitimate it as much as possible.

First response: Unless you are really weak in clinical, if you feel you have a legitimate shot at the top name-brand research schools, you would be better served to list this under Research, making the clinical and leadership components clear from the name you give the space.

Second Response: The course faculty or the department head would be a better choice, to legitimate it as much as possible.

1.) I think I probably qualify as really weak in clinical. It is actually my only clinical experience apart from shadowing, but I have had extensive patient contact in this position. I just started volunteering with hospice but I will probably save that for secondaries and updates because I don't have enough hours to justify listing it or to make a meaningful description. Right now I have it listed as clinical employment but include a discussion of what I've learned about research in hospital setting as part of my most meaningful discussion.

2.) Thank you! I am not sure it will possible to reach the professor with such short notice before I submit on the 7th, but I will try. So you think it is okay to list the department head even if they probably don't know any of the details of my specific project?

3.) What would you suggest I use as the number of hours for this experience? The number of hours that I spent in my research methods class or the time working on it outside of class time?

Thanks again for all your valuable feedback!!

I have three questions that somewhat build off of one another.

1) I've shadowed a total of 6 physicians. If I learned a lot about the medical field and even more about doctor-patient interactions within shadowing a specific physician, could I list the shadowing experience of that specific doctor as most meaningful and then describe the other 5 doctors I shadowed in another activities slot?

2) Or would it be more acceptable to add all of my shadowing experiences to a most meaningful activities slot and only expand upon the interaction with the specific doctor that I learned a lot from in the second box?

3) Or lastly, is having shadowing listed as a most meaningful experience frowned upon?

1.) I think I probably qualify as really weak in clinical. It is actually my only clinical experience apart from shadowing, but I have had extensive patient contact in this position. I just started volunteering with hospice but I will probably save that for secondaries and updates because I don't have enough hours to justify listing it or to make a meaningful description. Right now I have it listed as clinical employment but include a discussion of what I've learned about research in hospital setting as part of my most meaningful discussion.

2.) Thank you! I am not sure it will possible to reach the professor with such short notice before I submit on the 7th, but I will try. So you think it is okay to list the department head even if they probably don't know any of the details of my specific project?

3.) What would you suggest I use as the number of hours for this experience? The number of hours that I spent in my research methods class or the time working on it outside of class time?
2) As to using the prof as a Contact: This was a class, and is listed on your transcript with a grade. If he even gets a call, which seems unlikely, since the application itself speaks to what is needed for legitimacy, the professor should have no trouble confirming you took his class on research methods. AMCAS won't transmit your application until the end of June anyway, giving you plenty of time to email, if you want to remind him about your exact project.

The department head could just as easily be used to confirm most of the same details (though not the project itself), if the prof is not available.

3) The time you spent on the project, which doesn't include all class time, but may include work outside it.

1) I've shadowed a total of 6 physicians. If I learned a lot about the medical field and even more about doctor-patient interactions within shadowing a specific physician, could I list the shadowing experience of that specific doctor as most meaningful and then describe the other 5 doctors I shadowed in another activities slot?

2) Or would it be more acceptable to add all of my shadowing experiences to a most meaningful activities slot and only expand upon the interaction with the specific doctor that I learned a lot from in the second box?

3) Or lastly, is having shadowing listed as a most meaningful experience frowned upon?
You may use 1 or 2 slots. If the bulk of the shadowing was done with that one doc, and you want to be space-efficient, you could add as an addendum at the bottom of the MM space that you also shadowed 5 more docs in fields A, B, C for hh more hours (not included in the Total Hours slot) from m/12-mm/14, giving contact details for some/all if they fit, or not. Or, if you have space to burn, list the other 5 separately and give more detail. Either choice is fine.

3) No.

Is there a certain rule/guideline when placing one of your activities as a meaningful experience if it was also elaborated upon in the personal statement? I'm unsure whether talking about similar things from the meaningful experience and personal statement will look bad.

Is there a certain rule/guideline when placing one of your activities as a meaningful experience if it was also elaborated upon in the personal statement? I'm unsure whether talking about similar things from the meaningful experience and personal statement will look bad.
There is no "Rule" but some things to keep in mind:

-The same screener may not evaluate both the PS and the Activities section.

-The interviewer may not have access to both elements either.

-Some overlap is fine, but use different vocabulary words so it seems fresh if one person reads both.

-Consider dividing up topics you cover in each area. For example, the PS might cover motivation for involvement, anecdotes, and where you decided to go from there. The Activities space should cover activity description, your role, and skills learned, with the MM area perhaps going into impact, lessons learned, insights gained, and possibly additional anecdotes. You can mix and match these elements as needed to better tell your story. It's OK if some of the MM space is used for non-impact purposes.

You may use 1 or 2 slots. If the bulk of the shadowing was done with that one doc, and you want to be space-efficient, you could add as an addendum at the bottom of the MM space that you also shadowed 5 more docs in fields A, B, C for hh more hours (not included in the Total Hours slot) from m/12-mm/14, giving contact details for some/all if they fit, or not. Or, if you have space to burn, list the other 5 separately and give more detail. Either choice is fine.

3) No.

Okay awesome. Thank you so much for your expertise!

Quick question about the most meaningful activities slot-
I already have two activities that I definitely want to put down- my non-clinical volunteering and my research which have both had a huge impact on my decision about medicine however for my third I'm not sure if I should do something more related to medicine (i.e. shadowing/clinical volunteering) which I have had great experiences with or include my position I have held with Panhellenenic council. My experience with Panhellenic was something that was really representative of something I greatly value and want to impact in the future focusing primarily on womens equality and education in third world countries however I was told by my advisor that some committees really look down upon greek life (Panhellenic Council) so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by including it. Any advice on the topic?

Quick question about the most meaningful activities slot-
I already have two activities that I definitely want to put down- my non-clinical volunteering and my research which have both had a huge impact on my decision about medicine however for my third I'm not sure if I should do something more related to medicine (i.e. shadowing/clinical volunteering) which I have had great experiences with or include my position I have held with Panhellenenic council. My experience with Panhellenic was something that was really representative of something I greatly value and want to impact in the future focusing primarily on womens equality and education in third world countries however I was told by my advisor that some committees really look down upon greek life (Panhellenic Council) so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by including it. Any advice on the topic?
I agree with your advisor about the negative bias toward Greek life being out there, however I'd slightly restate it to say that it is some committee members that hold that view, not entire committees. Some adcomm members were in frats and sororities as students and might be supportive of your affiliation.

To get around the potential problem, can you list the experience without it being apparent what body sponsored the activity that meant so much to you, maybe by using the committee name instead of the entire council's?

For a lot of my activities, I have characters left over. So I was wondering, if it would be okay if I talked about me reflections/take away from the activity.

For each activity, I plan to do the following: description of activity and talk about how it impacted me or what I learned.

Is that Okay?

One of my shadowing experiences involved being put with the charge nurse in Labor and Delivery and then she would find deliveries and/or C-sections for me to observe. The nurse would introduce me to the doctor and the doctor would often talk with me about what was going on and whatnot. I spent about 30 hours in that department and shadowed at least 20 different doctors. I want to put this under my shadowing tab on my AAMCAS (where I have all of my other shadowing experiences), but I am not sure how to talk about it.

For that experience and every experience related to my shadowing at that particular place (I also shadowed doctors in surgery, ED, and surrounding clinics attached to the hospital), I put down the coordinator's number because she knows all of the shadowing I have done at that place. Is that okay?

For a lot of my activities, I have characters left over. So I was wondering, if it would be okay if I talked about me reflections/take away from the activity.

For each activity, I plan to do the following: description of activity and talk about how it impacted me or what I learned.

Is that Okay?
Yes.

Hi all! Thank you in advance for helping with the application process.

I searched for a similar question/answer briefly, but I was unable to find the a mention buried within the thread. Nonetheless, I apologize for asking a question that has been likely asked already.

If I have four non-clinical volunteer experiences, what would be the best way of consolidating them into an experience listing to save space?

1) I was considering listing them under the name "Non-Profit Volunteer Experiences", but I am not sure if it would be best to list the first experience's hours + contact info while subsequently listing the other three (description, hours, contact info) in the summary

OR

2) Entering the total hours (100) for the four combined. While listing the start/stop date and contact information for the first experience in the boxed sections. Next, mentioning/describing the four separate experiences in the summary section, while noting the specific hours that added up to the total, and contact information for each.

I'd love any recommendations you have for a correct consolidation of these experiences. If the logistics do not allow for a combination, I would appreciate that input as well!

Again, thank you for your help.
as777 :)

1) One of my shadowing experiences involved being put with the charge nurse in Labor and Delivery and then she would find deliveries and/or C-sections for me to observe. The nurse would introduce me to the doctor and the doctor would often talk with me about what was going on and whatnot. I spent about 30 hours in that department and shadowed at least 20 different doctors. I want to put this under my shadowing tab on my AAMCAS (where I have all of my other shadowing experiences), but I am not sure how to talk about it.

2) For that experience and every experience related to my shadowing at that particular place (I also shadowed doctors in surgery, ED, and surrounding clinics attached to the hospital), I put down the coordinator's number because she knows all of the shadowing I have done at that place. Is that okay?
1) Refer to the myriad docs as Staff Physicians in OBGYN, Surgery, Emergency Depts at XXX Hospital and Affiliated Clinics (list of specialties) and don't worry about naming them.

2) Yes, that's perfect.

If I have four non-clinical volunteer experiences, what would be the best way of consolidating them into an experience listing to save space?

1) I was considering listing them under the name "Non-Profit Volunteer Experiences", but I am not sure if it would be best to list the first experience's hours + contact info while subsequently listing the other three (description, hours, contact info) in the summary

OR

2) Entering the total hours (100) for the four combined. While listing the start/stop date and contact information for the first experience in the boxed sections. Next, mentioning/describing the four separate experiences in the summary section, while noting the specific hours that added up to the total, and contact information for each.
There's no one way to do it correctly, though I prefer #2. But I'd also add the start and stop date for each of the latter three in the narrative, besides what you mentioned.

A couple of questions/concerns:

1. I have been involved in a couple of clubs and have held leadership positions in both for a couple of years now. However, I currently have not listed any of my activities as "Leadership - not listed anywhere", but have listed those specific activities as "Extracurricular activities". Under Experience Name, I have listed my role within the clubs with the assumption that medical schools will understand that I have held leadership positions. Is this the right way to go about placing activities under the work experience section? Or should I have a separate activity for leadership? Or should I just list that activity to begin with under leadership?

2. I did not have enough space to list all roles within the club under Experience Name, so I just abbreviated one of my positions as VP for vice president to fit all positions I was involved in within that club. Is this okay or unprofessional?

3. For hobbies, does it really matter what we place there? I mean of course, yes, but what qualifies as an activity that is worth mentioning as a hobby, if that makes sense?

4. Lastly, I sort of asked this earlier, but I think I am planning to include an activity or two that I plan to do this summer since I do not have a ton of volunteering already in my app. so in the experience description, I was going to explain what I plan to do (making it clear that I haven't actually done the activity, but just what the volunteer position is meant to entail) and then in the secondaries elaborate more on them once I'm more heavily involved. Would this be okay?

Thank you!

Should I write in my experiences why the skills I learned are important for becoming a physician if I have the space?

Examples:
Critical thinking -> important for diagnosis
Leadership -> important for leading your team of nurses, techs, etc.
Communication skills -> explaining stuff to patients who do not understand medical jargon

1. I have been involved in a couple of clubs and have held leadership positions in both for a couple of years now. However, I currently have not listed any of my activities as "Leadership - not listed anywhere", but have listed those specific activities as "Extracurricular activities". Under Experience Name, I have listed my role within the clubs with the assumption that medical schools will understand that I have held leadership positions. Is this the right way to go about placing activities under the work experience section? Or should I have a separate activity for leadership? Or should I just list that activity to begin with under leadership?

2. I did not have enough space to list all roles within the club under Experience Name, so I just abbreviated one of my positions as VP for vice president to fit all positions I was involved in within that club. Is this okay or unprofessional?

3. For hobbies, does it really matter what we place there? I mean of course, yes, but what qualifies as an activity that is worth mentioning as a hobby, if that makes sense?

4. Lastly, I sort of asked this earlier, but I think I am planning to include an activity or two that I plan to do this summer since I do not have a ton of volunteering already in my app. so in the experience description, I was going to explain what I plan to do (making it clear that I haven't actually done the activity, but just what the volunteer position is meant to entail) and then in the secondaries elaborate more on them once I'm more heavily involved. Would this be okay?
1) Using as many of the provided tags as possible so as to have a balanced-looking application is a good idea, so as to appeal to the broadest possible array of schools. In general, when one moves up in an organization, having the back story of one's general membership in the same space helps give perspective. If the leadership component of one of your clubs was strong enough to stand on it's own, with just the dates and hours of leadership involvement listed, then pick that one for Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere, especially if you plan to apply to highly selective "top" schools that aim to train future leaders in medicine. A hybrid approach would be to do the same as this latter suggestion, but mention the dates and total hours of general membership in the narrative, but don't include them in the Total Hours box for that section. Alternatively, you might have a second space for a discussion of the general membership component all by itself, again, if it's strong enough to stand alone.

2) I think VP is wisely understood and OK to use.

3) It doesn't matter, so long as it's socially acceptable to mention. This space is your opportunity to appear as more of an individual, aside from many of the other categories that are very similar from candidate to candidate. Ideally, you'll mention stuff that would make you memorable, but if that doesn't apply, it's still good to make clear that you have leisure-time activities that are helpful in stress reduction.

4) I don't recommend entering this in its own space, but that doesn't mean you can't do it anyway. My compromise position is to add the plan as an addendum at the end of the narrative of another similar activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.