*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's perfect, thanks!

Thats why my father call's me son 'cause I'm so bright.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I have had an internship in a clinical setting for the past year. Last month I was hired full time to what I had been doing as an intern, but with a greater time commitment and a few, relatively minor, new responsibilities. The primary tasks, functions, and experiences of the full time job are the same as they were as an intern.

Recommendations on how to input this work experience?

I was VP of a club for a year, and then president for the next year. How do I title that entry? I don't want to only list the president position because that would make it sound like I didn't play a leadership role throughout the first year, but if I said "VP and President of X Club" then it would sound like I held both positions at the same time.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using SDN mobile
Maybe Elected Office Positions in X Club, or Vice President then President of X Club?

Edit: just saw gonnif gave a good answer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have had an internship in a clinical setting for the past year. Last month I was hired full time to what I had been doing as an intern, but with a greater time commitment and a few, relatively minor, new responsibilities. The primary tasks, functions, and experiences of the full time job are the same as they were as an intern.

Recommendations on how to input this work experience?
Use one listing for the entire experience and use the narrative and/or title to explain the transition and it's date. It reflects well that they chose to hire you.

I'm using one entry for shadowing multiple doctors, but since only one contact can be listed is it important to include contact information for additional physicians? (Maybe somehow in the description?)

I'm using one entry for shadowing multiple doctors, but since only one contact can be listed is it important to include contact information for additional physicians? (Maybe somehow in the description?)
See the example in post #2, item 10. Yes, the other docs' contact info should be in the narrative.

Here is another example:

One potential format for listing physician shadowing on an AMCAS application (whichever doc you list first, you'd put the pertinent data in the header and omit it from the narrative box. Total Hours box would be all the hours added together):

**4/2015-5/2015: 15 hours, Jake Famleedok, MD, Family Practice. [email protected] This was mostly clinic time, but I got to observe a vaginal delivery, too. I cut the cord!

**3/14-5/2014: 20 hours, Ling Ula, MD, Pulmonology, Podunk, AL, Health Clinic, 555-555-5556

** 12/2013-3/2014: 40 hours, Al Abowtgolf, DO, Sports Medicine, Podunk, AL, Health Clinic, 555-555-5555

**Spring 2012: 15 hours, John Kutoocure, DO, Surgeon, Meridian, MS. [email protected] Observed a complete bowel resection and a pancreatic cancer resection. Some clinic hours included.

-If the Contact is not the physician, you'll need to add that person's name, too.
-If two or more took place at one location, you might list them at the top and have the header Organization apply to both.
-If you have many, many docs, you can list the main ones at the top and later summarize others in a way that fits in the remaining space, like "Also shadowed a rheumatologist, neonatologist, and neurosurgeon for 20 more hours combined" without giving contacts and locations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi there, I have a few questions now that the app is out

(1) If I volunteered as part of a student organization for three years, should I list it as September-May, repeated 3x, or is it okay to do September sophomore - May senior year. I guess this goes for any school organization

(2) for publications, what should be the experience title? The actual article title does not fit, so should it be something like "second author publication" or "Study of chemicalX on DNA"

(3) If I have a presentation listed for research, but also have that as a separate research exprience (I know this is not necessary but it's how I divided hours up), what should I do for hours? The length of the presentation? Length of the conference? Amount of time spent on project?

Thanks for all your help so far and in the future!!

(1) If I volunteered as part of a student organization for three years, should I list it as September-May, repeated 3x, or is it okay to do September sophomore - May senior year. I guess this goes for any school organization

(2) for publications, what should be the experience title? The actual article title does not fit, so should it be something like "second author publication" or "Study of chemicalX on DNA"

(3) If I have a presentation listed for research, but also have that as a separate research exprience (I know this is not necessary but it's how I divided hours up), what should I do for hours? The length of the presentation? Length of the conference? Amount of time spent on project?
1) Either list three date spans or make it clear by the title or description that involvement took place during the academic year.

2) Try not to re-use words within an entry, eg don't use Publication in the title since that's the tag you picked for the space. Examples might be: Accepted Second-Author Manuscript on [XXX Topic] or Co-Authored Paper on Biochemistry of DNA in Peer-Reviewed Journal. Or Scholarly Journal Article on [XXX Topic] or Peer-Reviewed Paper Available On-Line Ahead of Print, or somesuch.

3) List the time it took to do the presentation, or one hour.

Last edited:
I can't decide whether or not to list an investment club that I founded in my application. I do not profit in any way from this club, it is both educational and also an opportunity to help advise and protect my peers from the complex world of investing. We are a registered business, and all of our work is legal. Our mission actually promotes simple, safe investing without the use of advisers, etc. We have several thousand dollars of assets under management. Does this make me look like a schmuck? Investing has a very greedy tone to it.

If so, should I list this under leadership?

I was a biochemistry walk-in tutor, supplemental instruction leader (similar to a TA), and biology 2 supplemental instruction leader. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to list them separately or together. The biochem tutor and supplemental instruction positions weren't paid, but the biology 2 position was. I was thinking of putting them each separately or grouping two of them together so that I could put one under Leadership. Any advice?

I can't decide whether or not to list an investment club that I founded in my application. I do not profit in any way from this club, it is both educational and also an opportunity to help advise and protect my peers from the complex world of investing. We are a registered business, and all of our work is legal. Our mission actually promotes simple, safe investing without the use of advisers, etc. We have several thousand dollars of assets under management. Does this make me look like a schmuck? Investing has a very greedy tone to it.

Sounds like a good Leadership activity to me. Go for it.

I was a biochemistry walk-in tutor, supplemental instruction leader (similar to a TA), and biology 2 supplemental instruction leader. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to list them separately or together. The biochem tutor and supplemental instruction positions weren't paid, but the biology 2 position was. I was thinking of putting them each separately or grouping two of them together so that I could put one under Leadership. Any advice?
I feel that depending on available space, you could put them all together (under Teaching) or break them up (with one under Employment). Unless you were responsible for other tutors or TAs (recruiting, training, scheduling, discipline, feedback, etc), I would not consider this an example of peer leadership, fbased on what you've mentioned here. JMO.

Hey @Catalystik, would you mind helping me classify 2 experiences? Both were clinical research positions. They both involved a significant degree of direct, one-on-one patient contact including blood draws, EKGs, vitals, discussing and answering questions about clinical trials, scheduling tests/appointments, etc. Both also involved a lot of data collection/analysis and other more "behind the scenes" research-related work.

I can't decide between "Research/Lab" and "Paid Employment - Clinical". Do you have any opinion? Does it just not matter? Should I pick clinical employment since I have thousands of other research hours?

Members don't see this ad :)

It sounds great to me. You want to help people with both health and wealth, two big determinants of opportunity and quality of life. But then I am a non traditional applicant, like investments, and wish that people were taught about finances in high school.
Now the question is if people on medical school admissions committees will appreciate that. I would hope so, but I do not know so. As one of the other users noted, it is a good leadership type activity. I can't think of a reason you wouldn't mention it, unless you can fill up that section with other activities that may be more medically relevant. I would think this would make you stand out because it is unique and very you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I like this activity. Stress the education aspect of it.

Hey @Catalystik, would you mind helping me classify 2 experiences? Both were clinical research positions. They both involved a significant degree of direct, one-on-one patient contact including blood draws, EKGs, vitals, discussing and answering questions about clinical trials, scheduling tests/appointments, etc. Both also involved a lot of data collection/analysis and other more "behind the scenes" research-related work.

I can't decide between "Research/Lab" and "Paid Employment - Clinical". Do you have any opinion? Does it just not matter? Should I pick clinical employment since I have thousands of other research hours?
It's not uncommon for one activity to fall under several of the pull-down tags. Making a choice that balances your application better is appropriate, especially if you are light on Clinical or have no other listed Employment. If all those are covered, then you might consider whether you want to appeal more to primary-care or research-oriented med schools to help make your choice.

Hi, I have a quick question!
I received a small stipend per semester (<$100) for being a designated class note-taker for students with accommodations. Would this be categorized as paid employment or volunteering? I thought paid employment, but I've also heard stipends don't count. It was sort of disorganized and I'm not even sure I received the stipend every semester.
Thanks!!

Hi, I have a quick question!
I received a small stipend per semester (<$100) for being a designated class note-taker for students with accommodations. Would this be categorized as paid employment or volunteering? I thought paid employment, but I've also heard stipends don't count. It was sort of disorganized and I'm not even sure I received the stipend every semester.
Thanks!!
If the stipend was for sharing notes you'd have taken regardless, Employment seems more appropriate.

You could reasonably tag it as Volunteer, depending. This latter choice would be strongest if you weren't enrolled in the classes for credit, as you'd otherwise be taking notes for them anyways and might not have many additional hours to claim toward providing an altruistic service.

Last edited:
You could reasonably tag it as Volunteer if you prefer. This choice would be strongest if you weren't enrolled in the classes for credit, as you'd otherwise be taking notes for them anyways and might not have many additional hours to claim toward providing an altruistic service.

Thanks for the feedback! I was already enrolled in these courses (you had to be to be an assigned note-taker). I did spend time reorganizing my notes for additional clarity and reviewing them with the other students, but you are right that I would have taken notes in some form for myself anyway. Maybe I should stick to paid employment so it doesn't look like I am trying to force this into the volunteer category. For hours, do you think I should just list the additional time I spent preparing specifically for other students (probably 1-2 hours/week) or the whole time I spent on the notes (~5 hours/week)?

For hours, do you think I should
a) just list the additional time I spent preparing specifically for other students (probably 1-2 hours/week) or
b) the whole time I spent on the notes (~5 hours/week)?
I think for Employment you can mention the total time (b), but break it down just as you have here in the narrative description.

If you pick Volunteer, just include a) of the above.

I think for Employment you can mention the total time (b), but break it down just as you have here in the narrative description.

If you pick Volunteer, just include a) of the above.

Thank you!! Not sure how I will categorize it yet, but this was very helpful!

If I was a teaching assistant for a business class and also a tutor for those same students in algebra during the weekends, I can list it as 2 separate activities correct?

I wanna show that I helped the professor in a class room environment and I was also a person who taught during the weekends in the fundamental math topics.

If I was a teaching assistant for a business class and also a tutor for those same students in algebra during the weekends, I can list it as 2 separate activities correct?

I wanna show that I helped the professor in a class room environment and I was also a person who taught during the weekends in the fundamental math topics.
Yes.

Thanks a lot!

A few more questions.

I did research in a lab. I primarily helped with the protocols and occasionally designed a few experiments myself.

While this was occuring, on my own, I did research in computer science and got published.

So under the experiences, I would have 3 experiences?

1 for the research lab, 1 for the research on my own and 1 for hte publication?

Also, on the publication, I am the only author because the professor I was getting guidance from didn't want to be an author on it, but I am listing him as my contact info for the project. Is that ok? How does it look that I am the only author? ( the paper was a hobby that ended up amounting to good research and being published)

Last summer I went on tour with a band for 2 months selling their merchandise... It was a really cool experience, although not medically related. The band was desperate for a hire and needed someone to work and I was able to.... Completely out of my comfort zone but did find that if medicine doesn't work I may be a good sales person...sales went up 50% when i joined ;P

Should this be added to AMCAS?

Also, my family is self employed (owns a small janitorial company). I have worked for my family almost every break/summer since I was 15 (probably even younger to be honest) to help support them... Do I include this on my AMCAS?

Thanks @Catalystik

One more quick one - I work with a global health group as the primary coordinator of a "global tumor board". Basically I work with a hospital in Africa to set up a videoconference once per month where they present a cancer case and I find an oncologist who specializes in that field to give them advice on the case and general training about the disease. Am I OK to call this medical/clinical volunteering? I can't "smell" the patient over videochat, but the purpose of the work is to directly impact patient care, and I have learned a ton about global health and healthcare in lower income countries.

Thanks @Catalystik

One more quick one - I work with a global health group as the primary coordinator of a "global tumor board". Basically I work with a hospital in Africa to set up a videoconference once per month where they present a cancer case and I find an oncologist who specializes in that field to give them advice on the case and general training about the disease. Am I OK to call this medical/clinical volunteering? I can't "smell" the patient over videochat, but the purpose of the work is to directly impact patient care, and I have learned a ton about global health and healthcare in lower income countries.
I'd call it Teaching, Leadership, or Volunteer-Not Medical/ Clinical.

1) Last summer I went on tour with a band for 2 months selling their merchandise... It was a really cool experience, although not medically related. The band was desperate for a hire and needed someone to work and I was able to.... Completely out of my comfort zone but did find that if medicine doesn't work I may be a good sales person...sales went up 50% when i joined ;P
Should this be added to AMCAS?

2) Also, my family is self employed (owns a small janitorial company). I have worked for my family almost every break/summer since I was 15 (probably even younger to be honest) to help support them... Do I include this on my AMCAS?
1) Jobs where you work with the public add value to an application, so list it.

2) Yes, and call it Employment even if your recompense was not through a paycheck.

1) I did research in a lab. I primarily helped with the protocols and occasionally designed a few experiments myself.

While this was occuring, on my own, I did research in computer science and got published.

So under the experiences, I would have 3 experiences?

1 for the research lab, 1 for the research on my own and 1 for hte publication?

2) Also, on the publication, I am the only author because the professor I was getting guidance from didn't want to be an author on it, but I am listing him as my contact info for the project. Is that ok? How does it look that I am the only author? ( the paper was a hobby that ended up amounting to good research and being published)
1) You could use 2 or 3 spaces, depending on whether you need to tighten things up.

2) How high an impact factor does the journal have?

1) You could use 2 or 3 spaces, depending on whether you need to tighten things up.

2) How high an impact factor does the journal have?

I'm not sure as to the impact factor of the journal. The journal was published 2 months ago and it is published by springer

I'm not sure as to the impact factor of the journal. The journal was published 2 months ago and it is published by springer
Using an Advisor as a Contact is fine. Assuming the journal is one others in the field will have heard of and is peer-reviewed, not having someone with academic credentials as a co-author, if you personally have none, will (in general) look strange if it were a scholarly, hypothesis-driven research paper. For another type of publication in the CS field, I cannot comment. JMO.

What do you guys think I should classify these activities as?

School Pep Band - played drums for 4 years, President for 1 year, VP for another (extracurricular, artistic endeavors ?)
Peer Health Programs Coordinator - Organized and ran different on campus events that promoted healthy and safe college lifestyles (leadership, extracurricular?)
Peer Council Member - Honor code council for the school, met with students who violated the honor code, deliberated if they were responsible for their violations, and assigned their sanctions (leadership, extracurricular?)

I have a bunch of TA, mentoring, and Teaching Fellow activities so I don't really need "Teaching" activities. I was also a Resident Advisor so that's definitely going to be a "leadership" activity. I was just wondering if I should make one of these an "extracurricular" activity just so I have something with that designation, instead of just lots of leadership...

What do you guys think I should classify these activities as?

1) School Pep Band - played drums for 4 years, President for 1 year, VP for another (extracurricular, artistic endeavors ?)
2) Peer Health Programs Coordinator - Organized and ran different on campus events that promoted healthy and safe college lifestyles (leadership, extracurricular?)
3) Peer Council Member - Honor code council for the school, met with students who violated the honor code, deliberated if they were responsible for their violations, and assigned their sanctions (leadership, extracurricular?)

I have a bunch of TA, mentoring, and Teaching Fellow activities so I don't really need "Teaching" activities. I was also a Resident Advisor so that's definitely going to be a "leadership" activity. I was just wondering if I should make one of these an "extracurricular" activity just so I have something with that designation, instead of just lots of leadership...
My thoughts:
1) Artistic Endeavor with mention of leadership roles in title and narrative (with dates).

2) Leadership (if you coordinated others rather than doing all the work yourself) or Teaching would have been my first choices for 2). Extracurricular works, too, but mention these other aspects somewhere, if you use that.

3) Extracurricular or Volunteer-Not Medical (if you didn't get paid) with mention of Coordinator status in title and narrative.

Reapplicant here - I met with the dean of admissions at the school I interviewed at and she mentioned without me asking that I should put the small tutoring business I run (not tons of clients but have acquired a good group over a few years) under "leadership", however I am extremely skeptical to classify it as this and have it look like I'm really reaching here. Not sure why I am questioning a dean of admissions however I don't want schools to think I'm trying to bull**** them or something by putting a small tutoring business under "leadership". Any opinions/insight would be great

Reapplicant here - I met with the dean of admissions at the school I interviewed at and she mentioned without me asking that I should put the small tutoring business I run (not tons of clients but have acquired a good group over a few years) under "leadership", however I am extremely skeptical to classify it as this and have it look like I'm really reaching here. Not sure why I am questioning a dean of admissions however I don't want schools to think I'm trying to bull**** them or something by putting a small tutoring business under "leadership". Any opinions/insight would be great
The Leadership designation, for AMCAS purposes, means "peer" leadership. If you are the only tutor in your business, I agree with you that the activity doesn't belong under the Leadership tag. If, OTOH, you recruited, trained, schedule, and/or otherwise manage other tutors, then the Leadership tag is appropriate.

Even if you list it under Teaching or Employment, you can still suggest the entrepreneurial role you took in founding a business somewhere in the title and via your description.

I shadowed about 10 doctors over a summer at an internship. The problem is I am running out of characters for their names and contacts. Is it ok to have two slots for Physician Shadowing and make one "Shadowing, cont." or something?

I shadowed about 10 doctors over a summer at an internship. The problem is I am running out of characters for their names and contacts. Is it ok to have two slots for Physician Shadowing and make one "Shadowing, cont." or something?
Try hard to get it all into one space. If you can't, use two as you suggest, but see if you can make it work with the following suggestion: list the main ones at the top and later summarize others in a way that fits in the remaining space, like "Also shadowed a rheumatologist, neonatologist, and neurosurgeon for 20 more hours combined" without giving contacts and locations for the latter group.

Try hard to get it all into one space. If you can't, use two as you suggest, but see if you can make it work with the following suggestion: list the main ones at the top and later summarize others in a way that fits in the remaining space, like "Also shadowed a rheumatologist, neonatologist, and neurosurgeon for 20 more hours combined" without giving contacts and locations for the latter group.

Thanks for the advice. Is it ok to abbreviate (e.g., "hrs" instead of "hours"?). I got it to fit (barely!).

Hello!
@Catalystik so I received a couple scholarships while in college/was on a full tuition for undergrad.... Do I list them all under one and briefly describe what each award was given for?

@Catalystik so I received a couple scholarships while in college/was on a full tuition for undergrad.... Do I list them all under one and briefly describe what each award was given for?
Another part of the application let's you detail how you paid for college. I'd suggest that Honors/Awards scholarship listings should be limited to those for merit or recognition, so you won't necessarily list them all in this location. And, yes, use one space and describe them.

Another part of the application let's you detail how you paid for college. I'd suggest that Honors/Awards scholarship listings should be limited to those for merit or recognition, so you won't necessarily list them all in this location. And, yes, use one space and describe them.

1. Full Tuition from the Multicultural Center at University based on high school academics and merits.
2. A Latino National Scholastic Achievement award based on high school academics ($3000 for college)
3. Latino Heritage Achievement Award given in Spring of Sophomore year by University
4. $1000 Scholarship/Award given by the Biology Department as selected by professors.

Should these be listed under Honors/Awards together (Only other Honors would be Deans List/Summa Cum Laude)?

So I've been a scribe in the Emergency Department for a while but I was promoted to trainer a few months ago, and was wondering if I should make these two separate activities? I'm using scribing as one of my most meaningful and talked about what I've learned from it, but want to use being a trainer as more of a leadership position. I would just combine them in one but I've pretty much taken up all of the space for the scribing experience without talking about training.

1. Full Tuition from the Multicultural Center at University based on high school academics and merits.
2. A Latino National Scholastic Achievement award based on high school academics ($3000 for college)
3. Latino Heritage Achievement Award given in Spring of Sophomore year by University
4. $1000 Scholarship/Award given by the Biology Department as selected by professors.

Should these be listed under Honors/Awards together (Only other Honors would be Deans List/Summa Cum Laude)?
I'd suggest that #1 should not be included unless it required ongoing GPA success in college to maintain it, in which case, say so. HS achievements rarely belong on your application, unless they continue into the college years. Same goes for #2.

All these can be listed together including Deans List and Summa.

So I've been a scribe in the Emergency Department for a while but I was promoted to trainer a few months ago, and was wondering if I should make these two separate activities? I'm using scribing as one of my most meaningful and talked about what I've learned from it, but want to use being a trainer as more of a leadership position. I would just combine them in one but I've pretty much taken up all of the space for the scribing experience without talking about training.
You may make it into two activities, but they clearly can be melded together, based on their relationship, if editing finds you the space.

Hello! I have another quick question! I have two different volunteering activities that I just started this month (one clinical, one non clinical), but both have a minimum year long commitment. I know that one method is to put them as repeated activities with the hours completed and the hours projected separated. But would it look weak to have two activities with <10 hours completed and 100 hours projected? Should I just save them for an update letter? I was thinking I could just include the clinical volunteer position (hospice) and not mention the other one if it seems odd to have both. I have 250+ hours of non-clinical volunteering and 2000+ hours of paid clinical experience but no other clinical volunteering.

I'd suggest that #1 should not be included unless it required ongoing GPA success in college to maintain it, in which case, say so. HS achievements rarely belong on your application, unless they continue into the college years. Same goes for #2.

All these can be listed together including Deans List and Summa.

#1 did require community service and maintaining a GPA, so I will include it. Thanks!

Also, summer camp with children with disabilities -- community service medically related?
summer campy for sick kids -- community service medically related?
Hospice? -- community service medically related?

I have two different volunteering activities that I just started this month (one clinical, one non clinical), but both have a minimum year long commitment. I know that one method is to put them as repeated activities with the hours completed and the hours projected separated. But would it look weak to have two activities with <10 hours completed and 100 hours projected? Should I just save them for an update letter? I was thinking I could just include the clinical volunteer position (hospice) and not mention the other one if it seems odd to have both. I have 250+ hours of non-clinical volunteering and 2000+ hours of paid clinical experience but no other clinical volunteering.
Your clinical experience and nonmedical community service already look very good. I think holding both new activities for Secondary applications or Updates is perfectly reasonable. OTOH, you won't look "desperate" by listing one so it's clear it just started (when you already have that base covered well), so I doubt you'll be judged as "weak" if you want to demonstrate what you'll be up to.

Last edited:
Your clinical experience and nonmedical community service already look very good. I think holding both new activities for Secondary applications or Updates is perfectly reasonable. OTOH, you won't look "desperate" by listing one so it's clear it just started (when you already have that based covered well), so I doubt you'll be judged as "weak" if you want to demonstrate what you'll be up to.

Thanks for the reply! All of my non clinical volunteering was through the same on-campus group, so I just thought it would be good to have some community service from outside of college too. I have over a year after college with virtually no volunteering which I spent working full time/taking night classes/studying for MCAT. I just wanted to show that now that I have completed everything, I'm back to doing some non-academic things.

1) Also, summer camp with children with disabilities -- community service medically related?
2) summer campy for sick kids -- community service medically related?
3) Hospice? -- community service medically related?
1&2) It depends on what your role was. If you were basically a camp counselor whose kids happened to have medical conditions, it's nonmedical. If OTOH, you checked VS, blood glucose, administered meds, changed, dressings, cathed, managed feeding tubes, or otherwise acted as a nurse's aide at times, it would be clinical.

3) Again, depends on your role. Some hospice helpers only do laundry, grocery shop, and clean houses, which are not clinical roles. At least some of your duties should be medically-relevant to call it Clinical.

Status
Not open for further replies.