*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is tutoring a group of 12+ students considered a leadership? Should I put that under the tutor category or leadership? cuz I already have other 2 peer tutoring at 2 different institutions and don't wanna add more

Members don't see this ad.

1. If I list multiple awards/honors, how can I deal with the date? cuz that's going to be a lot of dates.
2. How can I list the contact name? Those awards are not related to each other and from different institutions cuz I'm a transfer
3. I'm gonna list those awards in the description box, right? So what can I write in the Experience Name?
4. Some of the awards are from the contests, so do I have to explain all the contests in detail, or just write the names of the contests?
5. Also, in the hobby description, should I just list them as 1, 2, 3... or do I have to make full sentences in a paragraph?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1) Choose Posters/Presentations for a tag. Use the date of acceptance in the date slot. Contact can be the PI. Total Hours are zero. In the narrative, cite it: Author list or "Second Author," title of poster, say it was accepted for poster or podium presentation at XXX Conference on 10/16 and you plan to be present (or not). [Didn't we talk about this a month or so ago?]

2) Mention it in the affiliated Research space, unless it is the same/similar data to the accepted poster in #1, in which case you can state in the Poster/Presentations space referred to above, that "The same data was presented as a poster during my Campus Research Day on 3/16."

3) Even if you had already submitted a manuscript, it is not worth mentioning, but some do anyway. As yours is not yet in the mail, I'd refrain from mentioning it on the Primary. I think it's better to communicate a manuscript's completed submission or acceptance on a Secondary (where the prompt is appropriate) or in a future update letter (where permitted).

Hi Catalystik, I just wanted some input if this would be a "proper experience name" for the accepted abstract at the conference in October I will be presenting at,
"First-Author Abstract Accepted: XXX (title of abstract)" and then in the organization name I put the name of the conference

thanks again for your input and help! :)

How rigorous was the selection process for your poster abstract? Is everyone who applies accepted? Or are you required to present?

It's a little bit of a gray area, since I'm not sure if they reject certain abstracts or not. This is the confirmation they sent to presenters: "This email is to confirm your abstract has been received and that you will be presenting at XXX Poster day"
I did get funded for the poster through my lab and preparing the poster was a bit rigorous as well

Is tutoring a group of 12+ students considered a leadership? Should I put that under the tutor category or leadership? cuz I already have other 2 peer tutoring at 2 different institutions and don't wanna add more
This would be looked on as Teaching, though you have the option of using Employment, instead.

What should I put down for total hours when its sort of ambiguous? Under the leadership category I'm going to include that I was a founding member of a fraternity, and then I served as the athletics chair for 3 semesters.
How is it ambiguous (which means doubtful or uncertain)?
I meant to say that there really isn't a clear amount of set hours for something like that.
You can make a "best-faith" estimate or you can enter a 99 (or 999 if it's maybe closer) in the Total Hours space with a note in the narrative that the total hours are unknowable.

1. If I list multiple awards/honors, how can I deal with the date? cuz that's going to be a lot of dates.
2. How can I list the contact name? Those awards are not related to each other and from different institutions cuz I'm a transfer
3. I'm gonna list those awards in the description box, right? So what can I write in the Experience Name?
4. Some of the awards are from the contests, so do I have to explain all the contests in detail, or just write the names of the contests?
5. Also, in the hobby description, should I just list them as 1, 2, 3... or do I have to make full sentences in a paragraph?
1) Just use the last date or the date of graduation, by which time you would have earned them all.

2) Put the College Registrar as the Contact, with the phone number of the most recent in the space. For the second registrar, enter the contact info in the narrative (or experiment and see if a second phone number will be accepted and saved in the space).

3) Yes. Perhaps use Collegiate Recognitions.

4) Tell me what the contests are. (If they are too distinctive, I won't quote them, so you can edit them out later.)

5) A numbered listing is fine.

Hi Catalystik, I just wanted some input if this would be a "proper experience name" for the accepted abstract at the conference in October I will be presenting at,
"First-Author Abstract Accepted: XXX (title of abstract)" and then in the organization name I put the name of the conference
That's fine, but you only have 63 characters for the title of the activity, so you may have to truncate the abstract name if it's really long (which is acceptable) or just summarize it.

Reactions: 1 user
For a poster presentation from "Undergraduate Research Day" at my university-should it go under it's own "posters/presentations" tab?
It's best left with the affiliated Research description unless you presented the same data at a regional or national conference, or published it. Are any of the latter true?
It has not been presented at a conference or published yet although I anticipate it would be published sometime during the next few months. Since I have room for another activity slot would it be okay to put it as its own activity? I tried to put it in the affiliated Research description but there wasn't much room and I feel that I couldn't expand on the description/findings of the poster well enough in the research slot to be fully understood.
How rigorous was the selection process for your poster abstract? Is everyone who applies accepted? Or are you required to present?
It's a little bit of a gray area, since I'm not sure if they reject certain abstracts or not. This is the confirmation they sent to presenters: "This email is to confirm your abstract has been received and that you will be presenting at XXX Poster day" I did get funded for the poster through my lab and preparing the poster was a bit rigorous as well
The reason why it's suggested that campus posters don't deserve their own space is that in general, they are not rigorously reviewed. Either they are required as a condition of accepting funds or being in a class or internship, or anyone applying is accepted without the merits of the poster being considered at all. Since non-reviewed/non-competitive presentations don't add to one's candidacy, mentioning such a poster in the related Research space is recommended.

Do applicants do it anyway? Yes, they do.

Do I recommend it? No, I don't, as I look on this as a form of "up-selling" your application, aka fluff.

Will it work against you to give it it's own space? Probably only if you plan to apply to the most rigorous, research-oriented schools. Since I know nothing about your overall application, you have to decide if that's you, or not. Personally, I tend to tolerate one fluffed up entry. After two, and an eye roll, I start thinking less of an applicant.

Last edited:
Dear @Catalystik , thanks so much for your time and effort for answering our questions, I had couple of questions:

1. I was wondering if it would be fine if I have so many activities that I dont have space for hobbies
2. I wanted to know what would be the categorization and experience name of " working in cancer gym where I took BP and HR of cancer patients and monitored their exercise prescriptions and entered their results in their chart"
3. I also wanted to double check the hours you have advised to input, I noticed that in previous posts you have mentioned that its better to put 1 hour for the publications and mostly consider those hours under the RA positions. How about the hours for papers that just involved writing the paper, not collecting patient data.

1. I was wondering if it would be fine if I have so many activities that I dont have space for hobbies
2. I wanted to know what would be the categorization and experience name of " working in cancer gym where I took BP and HR of cancer patients and monitored their exercise prescriptions and entered their results in their chart"
3. I also wanted to double check the hours you have advised to input, I noticed that in previous posts you have mentioned that its better to put 1 hour for the publications and mostly consider those hours under the RA positions. How about the hours for papers that just involved writing the paper, not collecting patient data
1) It's your choice, if you feel another entry gives more value to your application. But many adcomms will like to see some form of leisure-time experience mentioned in a Hobbies, Artistic Endeavors, or Extracurricular listing, so it's clear an applicant has stress-reducing activities.

2) I'd consider this to be clinical. What is your title when you perform these duties?

3) I suggest including publication preparation time with the Research hours (since separating these hours from the time one is at the lab isn't always possible), but it wouldn't be incorrect to put them in the Publications Total Hours slot, so long as they aren't double counted.[/user]

1) It's your choice, if you feel another entry gives more value to your application. But many adcomms will like to see some form of leisure-time experience mentioned in a Hobbies, Artistic Endeavors, or Extracurricular listing, so it's clear an applicant has stress-reducing activities.

2) I'd consider this to be clinical. What is your title when you perform these duties?

3) I suggest including publication preparation time with the Research hours (since separating these hours from the time one is at the lab isn't always possible), but it wouldn't be incorrect to put them in the Publications Total Hours slot, so long as they aren't double counted.[/user]

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thats a great description, thank you so much.

I also was wondering if it would be fine if I have my unrelated awards and certifications described in point form in order to save space so I can add them all. If I decide to have them in point form, is there any way to ensure the writing in the narrative will be organized the same way as I am inputting the information. ( I guess I should ensure about this for my personal statement as well)

I only have one spot left but I have not been able to add my TA and summer research and paid employment job I have held.
I was wondering if you have any suggestions!

1) I also was wondering if it would be fine if I have my unrelated awards and certifications described in point form in order to save space so I can add them all. If I decide to have them in point form, is there any way to ensure the writing in the narrative will be organized the same way as I am inputting the information. ( I guess I should ensure about this for my personal statement as well)

2) I only have one spot left but I have not been able to add my TA and summer research and paid employment job I have held.
I was wondering if you have any suggestions!
1) Points, by which I think you mean "bullets" don't format normally in the AMCAS program. Your best bet is to type directly into the narrative box, using numbers, stars (*), or a dash (-), and then checking the appearance through Main Menu>Print>PDF view.

2) As I don't have a sense of your overall application or your goals, I suggest you pick the one that best balances the application or that shows another trait or aspect of personality that translates well into a desirable physician characteristic.

1) Points, by which I think you mean "bullets" don't format normally in the AMCAS program. Your best bet is to type directly into the narrative box, using numbers, stars (*), or a dash (-), and then checking the appearance through Main Menu>Print>PDF view.

2) As I don't have a sense of your overall application or your goals, I suggest you pick the one that best balances the application or that shows another trait or aspect of personality that translates well into a desirable physician characteristic.

Thanks so much for your response.
Another question about the hours for certifications and awards, What is the consensus on the hours we have to report..

Last edited:
Another question about the hours for certifications and awards, What is the consensus on the hours we have to report. For example hours for being certified as lifeguard.
As a side note, there is no point in including a certification if you never had a position where you used those skills. If you did have such a position, the certification should be mentioned in the same space as the activity. Or if the certifying classes were so amazing that you feel they add substantially to your application, a description of them can be entered in an "Other" tagged space.

The Total Hours for Awards/Honors spaces should be the hours that you sat in awards ceremonies to receive them. Entering a zero is fine, too.

This question might sound a bit odd, but If our contact person has a prefix of Dr. , do we have to add it in the contact first name?

As a side note, there is no point in including a certification if you never had a position where you used those skills. If you did have such a position, the certification should be mentioned in the same space as the activity. Or if the certifying classes were so amazing that you feel they add substantially to your application, a description of them can be entered in an "Other" tagged space.

The Total Hours for Awards/Honors spaces should be the hours that you sat in awards ceremonies to receive them. Entering a zero is fine, too.

I used my certificate in one of my volunteer activities but in that activity I have no space to include it. I briefly mentioned I was a camp counselor and , would that suffice? since there are many qualifications for becoming ! but in that activity I had no space for describing them! do u think it would be redundant if I explain about the certification in another space where I am describing my other awards?

Last edited:
I used my LG certificate in one of my volunteer activities but in that activity I have no space to include it. I briefly mentioned I was a camp counselor and LG, would that suffice? since there are many qualifications for becoming a LG! but in that activity I had no space for describing them! do u think it would be redundant if I explain about the certification in another space where I am describing my other awards?
You can safely omit the lifeguard certification, as it would be presumed.

I had a question regarding award and the activity I am naming as my most meaningful. I was wondering if I have got scholarship in an activity that I have recognized as the most meaningful, would it be better to mention it in the experience description part or the experience summary? I just did not have a space to add the scholarship separately, since I got the scholarship from the same organization, I thought it would be better so I integrate it with the activity itself.

Thanks for all your insightful comments. much appreciated
I dont know what I would do if you did not contribute to these threads.

1. should we list the semesters/quarters we made "deans list" under the awards tab? or is it unnecessary
2. can I list an activity I did the summer after high school? it was a summer trip providing educational and humanitarian assistance in a third-world country
3. I am applying MD but have shadowed a DO is it okay if i list that shadowing experience on AMCAS? and what would be the best format to do so?

Last edited:
I had a question regarding award and the activity I am naming as my most meaningful. I was wondering if I have got scholarship in an activity that I have recognized as the most meaningful, would it be better to mention it in the experience description part or the experience summary? I just did not have a space to add the scholarship separately, since I got the scholarship from the same organization, I thought it would be better so I integrate it with the activity itself.
It fits best with the activity description.

1. should we list the semesters/quarters we made "deans list" under the awards tab? or is it unnecessary
2. can I list an activity I did the summer after high school? it was a summer trip providing educational and humanitarian assistance in a third-world country
1) It's not necessary to list specific terms, so you might just summarize with the total number of terms.

2) Yes. Anything after HS graduation is fine.

I am applying MD but have shadowed a DO is it okay if i list that shadowing experience on AMCAS? and what would be the best format to do so?

I am applying MD but have shadowed a DO is it okay if i list that shadowing experience on AMCAS? and what would be the best format to do so?
Yes, any physician shadowing is fine to list on AMCAS, regardless of type of degree earned.

See my example on page 2, post #58.

Yes, any physician shadowing is fine to list on AMCAS, regardless of type of degree earned.

See my example on page 2, post #58.

for the experience name could I list the physician's name and his associated practice?

The reason why it's suggested that campus posters don't deserve their own space is that in general, they are not rigorously reviewed. Either they are required as a condition of accepting funds or being in a class or internship, or anyone applying is accepted without the merits of the poster being considered at all. Since non-reviewed/non-competitive presentations don't add to one's candidacy, mentioning such a poster in the related Research space is recommended.

Do applicants do it anyway? Yes, they do.

Do I recommend it? No, I don't, as I look on this as a form of "up-selling" your application, aka fluff.

Will it work against you to give it it's own space? Probably only if you plan to apply to the most rigorous, research-oriented schools. Since I know nothing about your overall application, you have to decide if that's you, or not. Personally, I tend to tolerate one fluffed up entry. After two, and an eye roll, I start thinking less of an applicant.

thank you! i agree with your input. I did not include enter it as an activity but rather I wrote a sentence in my research slot "I presented my findings at XXX Poster Day" instead.

Reactions: 1 users
You mean like, Observation of Juan Mendez, MD Internal Medicine Clinic?

yes, "Observation of XX, DO, X Medical Group" and also do I need to write anything in the narrative regarding the experience?

yes, "Observation of XX, DO, X Medical Group" and also do I need to write anything in the narrative regarding the experience?
You don't need to, but if anything particularly interesting happened, or you gained insights, you might comment. Be sure the specialty is evident somewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
I was wondering if the verification process will take
You don't need to, but if anything particularly interesting happened, or you gained insights, you might comment. Be sure the specialty is evident somewhere.

In the case of having shadowed more than one physician, should we just include the name of the different physicians in the description section and their email address? and one sentence description of each experience would suffice?

thank you! i agree with your input. I did not include enter it as an activity but rather I wrote a sentence in my research slot "I presented my findings at XXX Poster Day" instead.

In this case, if I was involved in summer student research program at a hospital, would it be fine if I just mention that I presented the final results as a poster at the student research day.

Dear @Catalystik , I am integrating two summer job under one activity, I was wondering whether I should categorize these experiences under Research/lab or paid employment medical and whether " Summer Research Program" is a good fit for the activity description

1. a summer paid employment job at hospital examining the COPD patients' charts and created poster at the end of internship at student research day
2. Research abroad and examined the authenticity of plants and raw drugs in order to create molecular diagnostic of medicinal plants.

Dear @CatalystikI am integrating two summer job under one activity, I was wondering whether I should categorize these experiences under Research/lab or paid employment medical and whether " Summer Research Program" is a good fit for the activity description

1. a summer paid employment job at hospital examining the COPD patients' charts and created poster at the end of internship at student research day
2. Research abroad and examined the authenticity of plants and raw drugs in order to create molecular diagnostic of medicinal plants.
Were these research internships, with multiple components besides the research activity, for which you received a stipend (and paid no tax) or were they employment (with taxes taken out)?

How many Research entries do you have already?

Are you a highly-competitive candidate aiming for top, research-oriented schools? Or a more average candidate, likely to appeal to schools that want to train practicing clinicians or primary care docs?

Your strategy should be to balance your application so as to appeal to the type of schools you are aiming for. Multi-component Internships are generally tagged with the "Other" category, BTW. Even if the research was stipended, rather than salaried, it's OK to list it as Employment, if that's what you decide you want to do.

Last edited:
What did you mean to ask here?

Sorry, I realized this thread is for work/activities and forgot to delete this post! I just wanted to know about the verification process and the arrival of transcripts!

Were these research internships, with multiple components besides the research activity, for which you received a stipend (and paid no tax) or were they employment (with taxes taken out)?

How many Research entries do you already have already?

Are you a highly-competitive candidate aiming for top, research-oriented schools? Or a more average candidate, likely to appeal to schools that want to train practicing clinicians or primary care docs?

Your strategy should be to balance your application so as to appeal to the type of schools you are aiming for. Multi-component Internships are generally tagged with the "Other" category, BTW. Even if the research was stipended, rather than salaried, it's OK to list it as Employment, if that's what you decide you want to do.

Thanks so much for the response. That is a critical insight you are pointing out!
I consider myself as an average applicant but would like to appeal to research schools as well.
I already have one research/lab entries. /one of the summer researches I had was tax-deducatable and the other was actually unpaid summer experience , would it be wise to integrate the two?

I was confused about the category and what would be the best experience name for these two summer research positions! ( one paid, and one volunteer!)

That is a critical insight you are pointing out!
I consider myself as an average applicant but would like to appeal to research schools as well.
I already have one research/lab entries. /one of the summer researches I had was tax-deducatable and the other was actually unpaid summer experience , would it be wise to integrate the two?

I was confused about the category and what would be the best experience name for these two summer research positions! ( one paid, and one volunteer!)
Considering your goals, I think it's fine to group the two in a Research space, and call it Summer Research Programs.

Currently I have these activities which I wanted to add:

1. Summer paid research position
2. Summer unpaid research position
3. Paid employment, fundraiser for research and scholarship from alumni
4. Teaching assistant position ( paid, no tax-deduction)

I wanted to know whether it would be better to group the paid ones togather or categorize them based on the type of activity

Like 3 and 4 as paid employment
1 and 2 research/ lab, but the problem is I already have research/lab entry

Currently I have these activities which I wanted to add:

1. Summer paid research position
2. Summer unpaid research position
3. Paid employment, fundraiser for research and scholarship from alumni
4. Teaching assistant position ( paid, no tax-deduction)

I wanted to know whether it would be better to group the paid ones togather or categorize them based on the type of activity

Like 3 and 4 as paid employment
1 and 2 research/ lab, but the problem is I already have research/lab entry
As you want to appeal to research-oriented schools, I suggest leaving those first two as we've already discussed them, so you'll have two Research/Lab entries.

You could similarly group the other two as Miscellaneous Collegiate Jobs, if you like, if you have one space left.

Great, thanks so much for your insightful comments. I DEEPLY appreciate it.

Sorry if it is an odd question, is that fine if I just say include the other verifier in the narrative section this way:

Verfier: Dr. XX. XXX. [email protected]

I also had a detailed question,

I have used most of the narrative section for my paid summer position and described briefly about the research centre in one sentence( since it is a very innovative centre) , but if I don't have space to name the university of the research abroad, is it fine if I just name the country of the research abroad?

Status
Not open for further replies.