*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! Also, can I assume that the organization name could just be "(Name of PI) lab"?
Yes. But if you use the PI's name for the lab (and possibly as Contact, as well), don't repeat it in the title of the space. Variety of wordage is preferred.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to be a bother for the second time today, but I had another quick question about research activities. Should we mention anything at all about our findings and future plans?
You may briefly refer to findings, but I'd avoid future plans (which fall through, or may not happen on your watch).

I volunteered at the hospital over a span of 3 years, but in between I took a semester off (shift didn't fit in my schedule) and maybe a summer off and accumulated ~150 hrs. Should I use the repeated activity option to indicate that? I'm worried that it seems like too little hours for the time frame, but (like everyone else) I had other commitments (other volunteer, research, school etc). Thanks for all your help answering questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks again @Catalystik for all the help you're providing!

I have a question concerning shadowing. Should the contact be the physician we shadowed? In my experiences, I didn't get in too much contact with any of the nurses or PA's and simply called the physicians office, so I'm not sure who to put for the contact. And for "contacts title", if the contact is the physician we shadowed, should it just be "physician"?

Should all my shadowing be grouped into one of the 15 activities? With the description broken up into sections based on the physician I shadowed?

Hi everyone,

I've been doing research in the same lab for 2 years. I'm listed as a co-author of a paper that was sent back for revisions, and was told recently that those revisions won't done until the end of this month. I'm assuming peer review takes another 2-3 months, and the paper may not be accepted until July or August.

I'm applying this cycle and I really wanted to include this publication in my experiences, but I read on SDN that if they can't google it, you shouldn't include it. Is there somewhere else I can mention it on my application, or maybe have my PI mention it in his LOR? I feel like publications are a pretty big deal and without it I have nothing to show for all the research I've done besides talking about it :(

I volunteered at the hospital over a span of 3 years, but in between I took a semester off (shift didn't fit in my schedule) and maybe a summer off and accumulated ~150 hrs. Should I use the repeated activity option to indicate that? I'm worried that it seems like too little hours for the time frame, but (like everyone else) I had other commitments (other volunteer, research, school etc). Thanks for all your help answering questions!
I thin that the Repeated function is ideal for your purpose.

1) I have a question concerning shadowing. Should the contact be the physician we shadowed? In my experiences, I didn't get in too much contact with any of the nurses or PA's and simply called the physicians office, so I'm not sure who to put for the contact.

2) And for "contacts title", if the contact is the physician we shadowed, should it just be "physician"?

3) Should all my shadowing be grouped into one of the 15 activities? With the description broken up into sections based on the physician I shadowed?
1) It can be the physician, an office manager or nurse manager, a college organization officer that arranges all the shadowing for group members, etc. Whoever knows best that you showed up.

2) If you use the doc as the contact, for title put MD or DO. It will print out nicely with a comma after the person's name.

3) Most use one space for all their shadowing.

I've been doing research in the same lab for 2 years. I'm listed as a co-author of a paper that was sent back for revisions, and was told recently that those revisions won't done until the end of this month. I'm assuming peer review takes another 2-3 months, and the paper may not be accepted until July or August.

I'm applying this cycle and I really wanted to include this publication in my experiences, but I read on SDN that if they can't google it, you shouldn't include it. Is there somewhere else I can mention it on my application, or maybe have my PI mention it in his LOR? I feel like publications are a pretty big deal and without it I have nothing to show for all the research I've done besides talking about it :(
Having the PI mention it in the LOR would be great.

If you feel compelled to include it in your Activities section against all advice, then you could mention it at the end of a research entry, or a Posters/Publications entry about the same data, saying: "Third-authored manuscript presenting this data submitted to XXX Journal." Don't say it was returned for revision, as that doesn't reflect well. Don't give dates. I've seen it happen that the PI decides to do a great deal of additional work before resubmission months after a co-author expected to hear back. And I've seen ultimate rejection, too. Best to save a manuscript acceptance for Secondaries or update letters, rather than have an interviewer ask about it and have no good news to report.

Is it going to be detrimental to explain what I gained out of experiences? I am a non-trad with a background in education, so I feel inclined to explain what I got out of my past experiences...consensus on SDN seems to be NOT to talk about what I learned/gained..but I'm having a hard time not doing that when my background is preschool teaching / elementary education.

Is it going to be detrimental to explain what I gained out of experiences? I am a non-trad with a background in education, so I feel inclined to explain what I got out of my past experiences...consensus on SDN seems to be NOT to talk about what I learned/gained..but I'm having a hard time not doing that when my background is preschool teaching / elementary education.
It won't be detrimental. This is an element that it's fine to include, but don't force it into every narrative if it doesn't feel natural. You might have more space for the purpose if you omit components of an activity that are universally known by adcomms.

Reactions: 1 user
How many of the allotted 750 characters (or was it 1000) should you used to describe your activities? Would it look bad if you only used 100?

Sorry @Catalystik for having asked so many questions . I have 15 slots filled. Having pursued a career in education i have a lot of ed. related things here.

1. Shadowing
2. Clinical Volunteering - Stabilization Room Recorder (150 hours, ongoing) **most meaningful**
3. Clinical Volunteering - Surgical Center (80 hours)
4. Clinical Volunteering - Pediatric ED (70 hours)
5. Paid employment clinical - ED Scribe (200 hours, ongoing)
6. Paid employment nonclinical - Nannying (>4000 hours, worked throughout college to support myself)
7. Paid employment nonclinical - Preschool teaching (>1000 hours, second job in college) **most meaningful**
8. Nonclinical Volunteering - Elementary School Classroom Assistant (>100 hours)
9. Nonclinical Volunteering - LGBT Student Outreach Program (>75 hours)
10. Nonclinical Volunteering - Tutoring (>150 hours)
11. Leadership - Senior Summer Camp Counselor (>200 hours)
12. Teaching Assistant - Genetics Course (300 hours)
13. Thailand - 3 week global future physician seminar sponsored by my university, investigating TB in Thailand
14. Semester at Sea - study abroad program with service learning component and documentary exhibition ** most meaningful **
15. Hobbies - piano since age 8, cooking, backpacking

Are there any you think I should cut? Do any of these look like fillers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Thanks for all your feedback, I understand that future activities are not recommended to be included, but what if one of our abstracts has got accepted to an Ivy League Medical school, would it be fine to include it? would other schools look down upon it since they might think that might be the applicants' choice?

I had another question regarding community hours: If I worked with people with physical and mental disabilities , could that be included as clinical?

I recently started one of my activity listed. I only have 15 hours logged so far, but it has been a great experience. Could I list it as one of the most meaningful ones or would the small number of hours raise a red flag?

I think it's about 700 characters.

It depends on the Activity. For a Publication, you just need a citation. What did you have in mind?

For one of my minor volunteering stints. Didn't really have too many interesting things happen during the year i volunteered there

1) I understand that future activities are not recommended to be included, but what if one of our abstracts has got accepted to an Ivy League Medical school, would it be fine to include it?
2) would other schools look down upon it since they might think that might be the applicants' choice?
1) An accepted abstract can be listed, even if the conference (if I'm understanding correctly) has not yet taken place. This would work best if it is mentioned in a space with other abstract(s) already presented. If you won't be the presenter, give credit to the one who will be.
2) No.

I had another question regarding community hours: If I worked with people with physical and mental disabilities , could that be included as clinical?
If you interacted with folks who just happened to have disabilities, then no (like coaching Special Olympics). But if you interacted with them while they were patients addressing medical or psychological issues, then yes (like assisting an OT or PT to address a functional deficit in activities of daily living).

I recently started one of my activity listed. I only have 15 hours logged so far, but it has been a great experience. Could I list it as one of the most meaningful ones or would the small number of hours raise a red flag?
I would not suggest listing a 15 hour activity as Most Meaningful.

For one of my minor volunteering stints. Didn't really have too many interesting things happen during the year i volunteered there
If you've adequately addressed the mission of the organization, your role, and any impact or insights that are P.C. to mention, then let it lie as it is.

I'm using basic medical lingo in my description of some healthcare activities. Is that ok? For example, trachs (tracheostomy) or ADLs (activity of daily living). Within the context, it's obvious what they are. I'm just not sure if it's appropriate since I'm not 100% sure who's reading.

When it comes to involvement in student-ran organizations on campus, should they all be grouped together and described separately in the description section?
What if they are not all medical-related, (i.e. I was a member of our campus' Amnesty International RSO and also our Student Environmental Alliance)?

And is it necessary - for these examples - to indicate the repeated time spans that I was involved. For example, these were all commitments during the semester, and I didn't do much with them during the summer and holiday break.

I'm using basic medical lingo in my description of some healthcare activities. Is that ok? For example, trachs (tracheostomy) or ADLs (activity of daily living). Within the context, it's obvious what they are. I'm just not sure if it's appropriate since I'm not 100% sure who's reading.
I would not use the abbreviated version without defining them first, eg, activity of daily living (ADL).

1) When it comes to involvement in student-ran organizations on campus, should they all be grouped together and described separately in the description section?

2) What if they are not all medical-related, (i.e. I was a member of our campus' Amnesty International RSO and also our Student Environmental Alliance)?

3) And is it necessary - for these examples - to indicate the repeated time spans that I was involved. For example, these were all commitments during the semester, and I didn't do much with them during the summer and holiday break.
1) They may be group together, but if so, and if the name isn't self-descriptive, discuss each group's purpose separately in the narrative.

2) They can still be grouped.

3) If you add to the Name of the space [Academic-Year Involvement] then you don't need to use the Repeated feature.

1) They may be group together, but if so, and if the name isn't self-descriptive, discuss each group's purpose separately in the narrative.

2) They can still be grouped.

3) If you add to the Name of the space [Academic-Year Involvement] then you don't need to use the Repeated feature.

Genius. Thank you.

I have shadowing time with 6 different doctors and have good descriptions for all of them. Should I use up two slots or mark it as most significant and use the addition 1350 characters to fit everything

Last edited:
I have shadowing time with 6 different doctors and have good descriptions for all of them. Should I use up two slots or mark it as most significant and use the addition 1350 characters to fit everything?
Unless you have a lot to say about impact of the Shadowing, best to use two regular slots.

How frowned upon is it if one of your most meaningful experiences is your time spent with an RSO that does yearly alternative spring breaks to foreign countries? I know the general SDN consensus is that these "medical mission trips" are no more than "voluntourism", (while I disagree based on my experience...that's another topic); but is it detrimental or naive-appearing to have that listed as a most meaningful experience?

Hi! I have a couple of nit-picky questions:

1) For a position as a lab manager/research technician, is it okay to leave it as "Lab Manager and Research Technician" or should I be more specific and write "Lab Manager and Research Technician in Human Genetics Lab"
2) If I define acronyms in the organization slot, is it ok to freely use these acronyms in the description without writing the full name out again? I'm worried if adcoms gloss over the organization slot, they might be confused as to what the acronym stands for.

How frowned upon is it if one of your most meaningful experiences is your time spent with an RSO that does yearly alternative spring breaks to foreign countries? I know the general SDN consensus is that these "medical mission trips" are no more than "voluntourism", (while I disagree based on my experience...that's another topic); but is it detrimental or naive-appearing to have that listed as a most meaningful experience?
How many years were you engaged in these one week trips? Multiple years would speak better of you than one. What was your role? Translator or skilled-level helper would get you more "credit". And how conversant are you with common criticisms of these brief trips? If you can ably rebut these in your essay or interview conversations, the activity will be less likely to be frowned on. JMO.

Disclaimer: I have engaged in multiple short-term international trips as a doc, so my interpretation of similar efforts may tend to be more positive than that of other adcomms.

How many years were you engaged in these one week trips? Multiple years would speak better of you than one. What was your role? Translator or skilled-level helper would get you more "credit". And how conversant are you with common criticisms of these brief trips? If you can ably rebut these in your essay or interview conversations, the activity will be less likely to be frowned on. JMO.

Disclaimer: I have engaged in multiple short-term trips as a doc, so my interpretation of similar efforts may tend to be more positive than that of other adcomms.

I've gone on two, both during spring break. Which I think, adds to the quick and rash judgments of these trips. Because one goes during spring break, it is assumed that they are going there for the beaches and beer. When in reality, there were no beaches nor no beer, but there was a week of early wake-ups.

While I've gone to the same country twice, I was involved with the campus work of our RSO for the majority of my UG years. So it wasn't as if I just tagged along for a spring break. I worked as a skilled-level volunteer, mainly in triage, taking vitals, past medical history/family history, and prepping for the doctors. I also worked along side the physicians in the actual doctor's room, technically "shadowing" them.

I feel pretty well-versed with the common and valid criticisms of many large-scale foreign mission trips and the "white knight phenomenon". I understand that side of the conversation and I while I disagree with a lot of the points made, I do recognize them. I am confident that the group I worked with was much more holistic and empowering for the actual community we worked in, relative to a lot of the groups that get the majority of the criticism, and I do feel like I could explain this very well in an interview.

I only ask this all because in all honesty, these trips were a big part of my desire to focus on undeserved community/public health. I think it's just disingenuous to pretend that these were not a big factor in my drive to continue onto medical school.

I've gone on two, both during spring break. Which I think, adds to the quick and rash judgments of these trips. Because one goes during spring break, it is assumed that they are going there for the beaches and beer. When in reality, there were no beaches nor no beer, but there was a week of early wake-ups.

While I've gone to the same country twice, I was involved with the campus work of our RSO for the majority of my UG years. So it wasn't as if I just tagged along for a spring break. I worked as a skilled-level volunteer, mainly in triage, taking vitals, past medical history/family history, and prepping for the doctors. I also worked along side the physicians in the actual doctor's room, technically "shadowing" them.

I feel pretty well-versed with the common and valid criticisms of many large-scale foreign mission trips and the "white knight phenomenon". I understand that side of the conversation and I while I disagree with a lot of the points made, I do recognize them. I am confident that the group I worked with was much more holistic and empowering for the actual community we worked in, relative to a lot of the groups that get the majority of the criticism, and I do feel like I could explain this very well in an interview.

I only ask this all because in all honesty, these trips were a big part of my desire to focus on undeserved community/public health. I think it's just disingenuous to pretend that these were not a big factor in my drive to continue onto medical school.
To me your experience has multiple earmarks of one that should enhance your application as a MM entry.

1a) For Honors/Awards, what should I put for total hours? I grouped things into 1 activity "Honors/Recognitions", comprised of Deans List, Chancellor's Award, and some scholarships under that headline, but don't know what to put for total hours

1b) What start/end date do you put for total awards? Start of college and expected graduation date? The date you formally received the award?

1c) Who is the main contact for Honors/Awards if you group them? Do I write the name of the Dean as the contact and his email? That applies for Dean's list, but for scholarships and chancellor's award, do I also list other contact names in the description box or is the one contact enough for that whole category?

2) Is the accepted way to list the dates of ongoing activities to use the repeated box?
(If my activity is May 2015 - present, is the best way to list the dates: May 2015 - June 2016 ; June 2016 - (expected graduation date 2017) and include the past hours under the former and future hours under the latter?

3) When describing activities, how in depth are you expected to go? (I don't want to include what I learned for each activity because I reserved those explanations for the meaningful 3 and secondaries)
i.e....
Will this be enough or should I elaborate? :
Title: Surgical Waiting Room Volunteer
Description: Spent time with pre- and post- surgery patients in XYZ Hospital, helping them relax and keeping them company. Trained new volunteers.

1a) For Honors/Awards, what should I put for total hours? I grouped things into 1 activity "Honors/Recognitions", comprised of Deans List, Chancellor's Award, and some scholarships under that headline, but don't know what to put for total hours

1b) What start/end date do you put for total awards? Start of college and expected graduation date? The date you formally received the award?

1c) Who is the main contact for Honors/Awards if you group them? Do I write the name of the Dean as the contact and his email? That applies for Dean's list, but for scholarships and chancellor's award, do I also list other contact names in the description box or is the one contact enough for that whole category?

2) Is the accepted way to list the dates of ongoing activities to use the repeated box?
(If my activity is May 2015 - present, is the best way to list the dates: May 2015 - June 2016 ; June 2016 - (expected graduation date 2017) and include the past hours under the former and future hours under the latter?

3) When describing activities, how in depth are you expected to go? (I don't want to include what I learned for each activity because I reserved those explanations for the meaningful 3 and secondaries)
i.e....
Will this be enough or should I elaborate? :
Title: Surgical Waiting Room Volunteer
Description: Spent time with pre- and post- surgery patients in XYZ Hospital, helping them relax and keeping them company. Trained new volunteers.
1a) Put a 1, or the time spent in award ceremonies, if any.
1b) Date of graduation or last date you received any recognition.
1c) College Registrar covers everything.

2) See page 3, post #137 for details.

3) I suggest you provide more detail than the example provided. How did you help family members relax. Try to give a feel that you conversed with them and supported them, that you have communication skills. An illustrative anecdote might be appropriate. It's fine not to include impact or lessons learned.

For unpaid tutoring and unpaid teaching assistant, is it ok to specify that in the title?

I wanna have the titles be the following:

Teaching Assistant ( Unpaid)

Tutoring ( Unpaid)

Is that ok?

For unpaid tutoring and unpaid teaching assistant, is it ok to specify that in the title?

I wanna have the titles be the following:

Teaching Assistant ( Unpaid)

Tutoring ( Unpaid)

Is that ok?
If you are using a Community Service tag, it is repetitive to say "Unpaid" in the tile, in addition.

If you are using a Teaching tag, but got class credit for the work you did, I would suggest not specifying that it was "Unpaid" as you were otherwise compensated.

If you interacted with folks who just happened to have disabilities, then no (like coaching Special Olympics). But if you interacted with them while they were patients addressing medical or psychological issues, then yes (like assisting an OT or PT to address a functional deficit in activities of daily living).

Thanks so much, appreciate your time and consideration.

Best,

If you are using a Community Service tag, it is repetitive to say "Unpaid" in the tile, in addition.

If you are using a Teaching tag, but got class credit for the work you did, I would suggest not specifying that it was "Unpaid" as you were otherwise compensated.

I didn't get any credit for it. I asked a professor if I could help teach a course and he said sure. So I just got a letter saying I volunteered X hours with him and that I helped him teach a course.

So would it be ok if I listed it under non clinical volunteering ( community service)?

And will do! I will not use unpaid if I am using community service tag!

Also, for a research paper, would you suggest putting RESEARCH PAPER as the title of the activity? ( I was then gonna put the research paper title as the experience name)

Thank you so much as usual Catalystik!

1) I didn't get any credit for it. I asked a professor if I could help teach a course and he said sure. So I just got a letter saying I volunteered X hours with him and that I helped him teach a course.

So would it be ok if I listed it under non clinical volunteering ( community service)?

2) Also, for a research paper, would you suggest putting RESEARCH PAPER as the title of the activity? ( I was then gonna put the research paper title as the experience name)
1) Yes.

2) I prefer something like Thesis Manuscript on [XXX topic] or Term Paper about Xxx, as the word "Research" is better reserved for hypothesis-based scholarly original work. This sort of entry is best as Other, BTW, if I'm understanding you correctly.

1) Yes.

2) I prefer something like Thesis Manuscript on [XXX topic] or Term Paper about Xxx, as the word "Research" is better reserved for hypothesis-based scholarly original work. This sort of entry is best as Other, BTW, if I'm understanding you correctly.

I had a paper published in a peer reviewed journal. So I was thinking :

Experience type: Publication

Experience name: Paper title

For the entry title, Research Paper Publication ?

I had a paper published in a peer reviewed journal. So I was thinking :

Experience type: Publication

Experience name: Paper title

For the entry title, Research Paper Publication ?
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your previous post.

For Publication space Experience Name options, see: page 2, post #60. The paper's title will be apparent from the citation that you put into the narrative space.

What are you supposed to write in the extra box provided for the 3 Most Meaningful activities? Is that where you should include why it is meaningful to you, or is that better off in the PS? Is the regular activity description for MM an objective account of what you did, while the extra box is for your subjective reflection?

What are examples of activities that typical applicants select as MM?

What are you supposed to write in the extra box provided for the 3 Most Meaningful activities? Is that where you should include why it is meaningful to you, or is that better off in the PS? Is the regular activity description for MM an objective account of what you did, while the extra box is for your subjective reflection?

What are examples of activities that typical applicants select as MM?
The extra space for a MM activity is meant for reflection, impact, what you learned. The PS might be better used for your motivation for involvement and anecdotes. The 700 characters in the regular narrative space usually are used for description, your role, maybe what you accomplished. Or you can switch them around, or mix and match, as works best for what you wish to convey.

Any activity can be chosed for MM: hobbies, community service, clinical experience, shadowing, job, research, awards, artistic endeavor, teaching, intercollegiate sports, etc.

Is it worth mentioning that I graduated from a competitive undergraduate program at my university that was given a Program Achievement Award in neuroscience by the society for neuroscience when I was there? We were ranked the #1 program in the country that year.

Is it worth mentioning that I graduated from a competitive undergraduate program at my university that was given a Program Achievement Award in neuroscience by the society for neuroscience when I was there? We were ranked the #1 program in the country that year.
No. This is your school's achievement, and that of those directing the program, not your own.

1) For research, what is appropriate for the experience name? Undergraduate researcher, research assistant, or something else?

2) For research, do I list my contact’s title as “Principal Investigator” or “Research Advisor” or something else?

3) For shadowing, I put my total shadowing hours for all physicians I shadowed in the total hours box. In the contact’s name, phone, and title boxes, I am using the info of my first physician I shadowed, and then will include the others’ info in the description box.

Considering this, do I use the start/end dates of the entire activity to select the start/end of my entire shadowing of all doctors (May 2014 – Jan 2016)

or

only the start/end of shadowing of the first doctor (May 2014- June2014) and then list the start/end dates of the other doctors in the description box?

1) For research, what is appropriate for the experience name? Undergraduate researcher, research assistant, or something else?

2) For research, do I list my contact’s title as “Principal Investigator” or “Research Advisor” or something else?

3)a. For shadowing, I put my total shadowing hours for all physicians I shadowed in the total hours box. In the contact’s name, phone, and title boxes, I am using the info of my first physician I shadowed, and then will include the others’ info in the description box.

b. Considering this, do I use the start/end dates of the entire activity to select the start/end of my entire shadowing of all doctors (May 2014 – Jan 2016)

or

only the start/end of shadowing of the first doctor (May 2014- June2014) and then list the start/end dates of the other doctors in the description box?
1) If you're in charge, use Researcher, otherwise maybe Research Assistant, Associate, Aide, Tech, Affiliate, or Animal Handler, if you don't have an official designation that is suitable. Each of those six suggests a different level of responsibility (to me) that are not in order.

2) I'd use PhD, Principal Advisor (if this is the person overall in charge of the project.

3a) Yes.
3b) Use dates of the first doc listed in the header, with other date spans in the narrative with each additional doc, along with subtotal hours.

Last edited:
If I am listing Phi Beta Kappa for Honors/Awards, do I need to include a description? I have a lesser known honors society I could list in this category as well. Should I include the selectivity/requirements for invitation?

Status
Not open for further replies.